FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > George Osbourne.....Greedy Cnut!

George Osbourne.....Greedy Cnut!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

MP for Tatton.

Part time financial advisor to some investment bank or other (£600k salary I think)

Now Editor in Chief of the Evening Standard!

Is he just taking the piss.....? (I always thought he was anyway)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I loved hearing the news throughout the day with people asking if it was fake news.

What does it raise his already approx. £15k a day salaries to?

Way too much.....but I can't see the good burghers of Tatton re-electing him next Election Day.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

I don't think MPs should be allowed to have second job, or 3rd jobs in this particular case.

"I don't think MPs should be allowed to have second job, or 3rd jobs in this particular case."

I think it may be 5th or 5th job...

I don't think MPs should be editing newspapers.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"I don't think MPs should be allowed to have second job, or 3rd jobs in this particular case."

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"I don't think MPs should be allowed to have second job, or 3rd jobs in this particular case.

"

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

All of the above ..

Cambridge

"I don't think MPs should be allowed to have second job, or 3rd jobs in this particular case.

"

To be honest an MP is no worse than other editors and newspaper barons

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

"MP for Tatton.

Part time financial advisor to some investment bank or other (£600k salary I think)

Now Editor in Chief of the Evening Standard!

Is he just taking the piss.....? (I always thought he was anyway)"

Could be worse.

Let's just be thankful,

he's the new editor in Chief of the Evening Standard,

And not our new prime minister.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"

To be honest an MP is no worse than other editors and newspaper barons"

The others don't have a vote in Parliament. They might vastly influence but they don't have that crucial voting power.

Cambridge

The others don't have a vote in Parliament. They might vastly influence but they don't have that crucial voting power.

"

But he already has that power as an MP

But he already has that power as an MP"

I know he does. He shouldn't be able to use the insider influence of the press to shape how others see his vote.

By *ax777Man  over a year ago

Not here

[Removed by poster at 18/03/17 00:19:56]

Not here

"Way too much.....but I can't see the good burghers of Tatton re-electing him next Election Day."

They won't be able to even if they wanted to. His seat is being scrapped at the next election.

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

"Way too much.....but I can't see the good burghers of Tatton re-electing him next Election Day.

They won't be able to even if they wanted to. His seat is being scrapped at the next election."

Whew!!! Just as well he took those other 5 jobs.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

I don't know, here is a guy who's clearly a hard working taxpayer™, a striver™, holding down 4 or 5 jobs just to make ends meet and he gets vilified for it

But he already has that power as an MP

I know he does. He shouldn't be able to use the insider influence of the press to shape how others see his vote. "

There is a petition started objecting to him being an MP and editing the paper at same time:

google

GEORGE OSBORNE MP - PICK A JOB

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

I think he will be judged more by the people of London and the Evening Standard readers.

Sales fall and he'll be out.

And don't forget, plenty of MPs have "other" incomes and probably more than you would think.

Not here

"I think he will be judged more by the people of London and the Evening Standard readers.

"

It's a free newspaper!

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

Good luck to him. If he fails in his political duties he will be voted out, if advertising revenue for the newspaper falls he will be gone.

Can't see what the fuss is about.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"I think he will be judged more by the people of London and the Evening Standard readers.

It's a free newspaper!"

Ah yes, is it the one owned by the Russian?

It's a free newspaper!

Ah yes, is it the one owned by the Russian? "

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

don't mention the KGB

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

Given his previous stellar prowess with forecasts it might be an idea to keep him away from the horse racing page

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Is it his first proper job, other than politics?

"Is it his first proper job, other than politics? "

Be Very Careful with your pension plans!!!

He may be involved with your portfolio without you even knowing it

he interferes with a certain portfolio stock one day a week

May should kick the smug git out of the party (if that's possible)or his constituents should de-select him...yesterday!

Not here

"May should kick the smug git out of the party (if that's possible)or his constituents should de-select him...yesterday!"

It's a perfect platform for Osborne to seek his revenge upon May.

There's just something about Mr Osborne that screams,"Bitty"

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

For me it's not so much the 3 jobs but why is he being paid £650,000 for one day a month in that investment fund - it is obvious that they think he will get them influence - it reeks of corruption.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

Amazing! The very same people who cry one day that our politicians are an out of touch, professional political elite who have never done a real job outside of politics in their lives, the very next day are complaining that politicians should do no other job other than the one they have been elected to do. You may be able to shout both ways but no matter how much you shout both ways you'll never be able to have it both ways. As far as I'm concerned, and I would suspect most fair minded people, if the people paying Mr Osborne think he can do the jobs then I've no problem with him doing those jobs. If the people who elected him feel he's not representing them properly then they can (normally) vote for someone else at the next election. I added (normally) because in actuality his constituency will no longer exist by 2020. I also think that being the editor of The Standard will probably take less time and effort than being Chancellor of the Exchequer takes so, if anything, he'll probably have more time to spend dealing with constituency business than he did before.

I think some on here are letting their pathological hate of any Tory, others their pathological hate of any anti-BREXITer and yet others their pathological hate of any one successful and rich, cloud their judgment on this issue.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"For me it's not so much the 3 jobs but why is he being paid £650,000 for one day a month in that investment fund - it is obvious that they think he will get them influence - it reeks of corruption."

Maybe. Or just recognition / advertising. It's no different to a shoe company paying a famous rapper to wear their shoes. Or being an 'executive producer' for them.

-Matt

"For me it's not so much the 3 jobs but why is he being paid £650,000 for one day a month in that investment fund - it is obvious that they think he will get them influence - it reeks of corruption.

Maybe. Or just recognition / advertising. It's no different to a shoe company paying a famous rapper to wear their shoes. Or being an 'executive producer' for them.

-Matt"

As in Victoria Beckham being a 'Design Consultant' for Range Rover?

Enzo Ferrari must be spinning in his grave.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

Happy for any MP or Minister to take a paid job out side of parliament they can take as many as they want earning as much as they want but in return for every penny they earn at these jobs a matching deduction is taken from their parliamentry pay and expenses just as happens to any one who is on any benefits now . what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander after all and remember we are in it together

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"For me it's not so much the 3 jobs but why is he being paid £650,000 for one day a month in that investment fund - it is obvious that they think he will get them influence - it reeks of corruption.

-Matt

Enzo Ferrari must be spinning in his grave."

You mean Lolo Ferrari wasn't an official spokeswomen for them?!

-Matt

It's a free newspaper!"

Still needs sales for the advertising revenues

Not here

It's a free newspaper!

Still needs sales for the advertising revenues "

You mean readership as opposed to sales? Not sure how easy that is to quantify as the paper is handed out. Who keeps count?

-Matt

Enzo Ferrari must be spinning in his grave.

You mean Lolo Ferrari wasn't an official spokeswomen for them?!

-Matt"

I think you might be confusing your Ferrari's

Come to think of it, Lolo Ferrari might have made a better spokeswoman than VB does a design consultant.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

-Matt"

Not sure there's too many rappers that are standing MPs, have the ear of senior government figures, or indeed were the chancellor of the exchequer. Maybe you could enlighten us, or are too naive to be able to differentiate the difference of the time taken between editing the evening standard and putting on a pair of shoes.

By *onny MCMan  over a year ago

Crawley

It's a free newspaper!

You mean readership as opposed to sales? Not sure how easy that is to quantify as the paper is handed out. Who keeps count?"

If someone is paying for advertising space in it, then someone has a damn good idea of how many people are actually reading it. No firm pays out that kinda money if there's even a chance that every copy just gets used to wrap fish and chips.

Not here

It's a free newspaper!

You mean readership as opposed to sales? Not sure how easy that is to quantify as the paper is handed out. Who keeps count?

If someone is paying for advertising space in it, then someone has a damn good idea of how many people are actually reading it. No firm pays out that kinda money if there's even a chance that every copy just gets used to wrap fish and chips. "

I'm sure that the Evening Standard has to quantify distribution numbers to its advertisers. The point I was making is that as it is a free newspaper which is handed out, left on trains etc the numbers of actual readership are much harder to ascertain than bought newspapers. Also, as its free, I doubt that whoever is editor in chief will have a major impact upon the distribution numbers, which was the initial point claimed.

It's also been a long time since fish and chips were wrapped in newspapers, at least in this kneck of the woods.

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

-Matt"

I'd buy that argument if he was working for a clothes company but why does his name help an investment bank - apart from all the connections he has and influence?

will he be paying his taxes or will he have a very good financial avoidance, sorry I mean adviser

» Add a new message to this topic