FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > vivious and personal

vivious and personal

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *awandOrder OP   Couple  over a year ago

SW London

I just got home and read some of the threads from last night's politics forum. Why so vicious and personal? Does anyone have any ideas?

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Not really no

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Lack of respect for people's views, opinions and beliefs.

Sometimes, those with poor knowledge of politics and business seem to shout the loudest.

SW London

"Lack of respect for people's views, opinions and beliefs.

Sometimes, those with poor knowledge of politics and business seem to shout the loudest."

I am okay with people shouting and not having a correct understanding of politics, but its the personal stuff I really object to

Because they cant accept others views and generally have bad manners.

SW London

Seems like bullying and abuse is tolerated in this forum, but not others

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

Sometimes, those with poor knowledge of politics and business seem to shout the loudest.

I am okay with people shouting and not having a correct understanding of politics, but its the personal stuff I really object to"

When people get personal it tends to mean they've lost the argument and have nowhere else to go with it.

I am okay with people shouting and not having a correct understanding of politics, but its the personal stuff I really object to

When people get personal it tends to mean they've lost the argument and have nowhere else to go with it."

That is right. I have noticed that alot here.

It does get a little heated but nothing i cant live with, however i do know quite a few received bans for the northern Ireland thread few days back so no you dont get away with everything on here

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

Was it worse than normal last night? I hadn't noticed much difference

SW London

When people get personal it tends to mean they've lost the argument and have nowhere else to go with it.That is right. I have noticed that alot here."

Maybe just seeing it in all its glory when I got back from work and logged on

When people get personal it tends to mean they've lost the argument and have nowhere else to go with it.That is right. I have noticed that alot here.

Maybe just seeing it in all its glory when I got back from work and logged on "

Which bits was it that was bothering you as nobody seems to know?

Could you copy and paste a thread or post

By *isandreTV/TS  over a year ago

Hartlepool

Personally I think the politics forum should have a higher threshold of tolerance by the users and mods because it is a subject on which passions often run high.

I prefer that to apathy.

If you put up a political view you should be able to take a bit of flak.

SW London

I think it was the vote labour one, and personal comments about another poster. Certain posters seem to do this, for sure .... bringing personal issues onto the forums

SW London

"Personally I think the politics forum should have a higher threshold of tolerance by the users and mods because it is a subject on which passions often run high.

I prefer that to apathy.

"

Personal attacks though?

By *onnyJohnMan  over a year ago

Doncaster

When people get personal it tends to mean they've lost the argument and have nowhere else to go with it."

Well said .... and exactly right.

When people get personal it tends to mean they've lost the argument and have nowhere else to go with it.That is right. I have noticed that alot here.

Maybe just seeing it in all its glory when I got back from work and logged on .

Which bits was it that was bothering you as nobody seems to know?

Could you copy and paste a thread or post"

Yeah I'm intrigued .

Maybe just seeing it in all its glory when I got back from work and logged on "

Yes, it could be that. I never get caught up in their drama.

When mentioning trump and political correctness, it usually starts lol.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"Personally I think the politics forum should have a higher threshold of tolerance by the users and mods because it is a subject on which passions often run high.

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?"

I'm not sure I saw anything specific? Which probably means it was me! I know I do get frustrated when trying to point out people's logical fallacies sometimes.

-Matt

SW London

"When mentioning trump and political correctness, it usually starts lol."

There is a lot of right wing propaganda about political correctness. It is a term bandied about by people who cant justify their insults in any other way .

SW London

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

I'm not sure I saw anything specific? Which probably means it was me! I know I do get frustrated when trying to point out people's logical fallacies sometimes.

-Matt"

Your reasoning is always sound, even though I may not agree with it (I never remember people's political leanings), and I can't remember you ever being personal. There was just a tone in a few threads that was not great

"When mentioning trump and political correctness, it usually starts lol.

There is a lot of right wing propaganda about political correctness. It is a term bandied about by people who cant justify their insults in any other way ."

That is right and everyone got their version of it.

By *ammskiMan  over a year ago

lytham st.annes

[Removed by poster at 28/03/17 21:29:35]

By *ammskiMan  over a year ago

lytham st.annes

"[Removed by poster at 28/03/17 21:29:35]"
. I think it,s because people believe their opinions are correct and would betide anyone can have a different perspective

Lucan

I prefer that to apathy.

"

Yes, either that or ban political discussions altogether. They're always going to be heated just as they are in reality. Per I think it would be a sad day if we couldn't disagree with each other for fear of the ban hammer.

Barbados

There is a lot of right wing propaganda about political correctness. It is a term bandied about by people who cant justify their insults in any other way ."

Yes, I've noticed "policital correctness" used as a pejorative term from forum members who disagree with a viewpoint. A new one to me though is the term "intellectual dishonesty" which as far as I can tell also means "I disagree with your viewpoint".

-Matt

SW London

I prefer that to apathy.

Yes, either that or ban political discussions altogether. They're always going to be heated just as they are in reality. Per I think it would be a sad day if we couldn't disagree with each other for fear of the ban hammer. "

Like I said, okay to disagree, but being rude and personal?

Yeah this forum gets heated. I mean it's only natural. Some people get very passionate about their ideals, or have an entrenched world view and can't, or wont admit to seeing the other person's points as valid and having equal concern.

I'll be honest, I've had a few bans. God knows what for, once I got one out of the blue and I imagine it's because I called someone a pollock for deliberately misusing a quote or figure and they didn't have thick enough skin to take it.

Despite repeatedly being called varying names or lumped and labelled as whatever 'leftie tosser', 'whiner'...whatever, I've never bothered to report people.

Lucan

I prefer that to apathy.

Yes, either that or ban political discussions altogether. They're always going to be heated just as they are in reality. Per I think it would be a sad day if we couldn't disagree with each other for fear of the ban hammer.

Like I said, okay to disagree, but being rude and personal? "

I agree totally. There's no need for the personal stuff. Rude can be a bit more subjective as some come across as rude without meaning to. I tried looking through that vote Labour thread last night but the reply and quotes were making life difficult so I gave up on it.

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

Your reasoning is always sound, even though I may not agree with it (I never remember people's political leanings), and I can't remember you ever being personal. There was just a tone in a few threads that was not great"

No thats not quite true lots of pro EU call anti EU people stupid ignorant racists, morons, dick heads, then you have "you must be leading a meaningless shit life with no friends" that was actually called to me by a woman in the lounge who disagreed with my views about something or other quite benign.

Right winger anti EU tend to just get more personal quicker.

The only difference i see is that left wing people tend not to see their own abusive posts

SW London

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

Your reasoning is always sound, even though I may not agree with it (I never remember people's political leanings), and I can't remember you ever being personal. There was just a tone in a few threads that was not great

No thats not quite true lots of pro EU call anti EU people stupid ignorant racists, morons, dick heads, then you have "you must be leading a meaningless shit life with no friends" that was actually called to me by a woman in the lounge who disagreed with my views about something or other quite benign.

The only difference i see is that left wing people tend not to see their own abusive posts"

I haven't been abusive in a post .....

There is a lot of right wing propaganda about political correctness. It is a term bandied about by people who cant justify their insults in any other way .

Yes, I've noticed "policital correctness" used as a pejorative term from forum members who disagree with a viewpoint. A new one to me though is the term "intellectual dishonesty" which as far as I can tell also means "I disagree with your viewpoint".

-Matt"

Yes, there are few terms of it too and one is "I disagree with you, just because I dont want you to be right" even tho it is.

SW London

Shay there is an Ikea thread, get over there onto it

By *icklybitMan  over a year ago

Ayrshire

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

The only difference i see is that left wing people tend not to see their own abusive posts"

I've had all that plus Quisling, English lakey, traitor, not a "real" Scot (maybe an ünter Scot?) an Uncle Tam and a few others not suitable for here, I was even called a tory FFS.

But thats the joyous and civic nationalism we have in Scotland.

Our nationalism is better than other countries nationalism, so I,m told.

"Shay there is an Ikea thread, get over there onto it"
Yes. I have seen that ikea one too lol.

By *epper123Woman  over a year ago

London

Great. Lots of lurkers have come out

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

The only difference i see is that left wing people tend not to see their own abusive posts

I haven't been abusive in a post ..... "

I didnt say you had, you said Matt hadnt and as a general rule of thumb he really isnt but occasionally ive seen him refer to people as dim witted, stupid, morons.

Really hes quite intelligent so he generally knows how to conceal his personal attacks better than the less educated and thats just a general theme not a personal attack.

"Great. Lots of lurkers have come out"
I did notice all the new faces.

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

I've had all that plus Quisling, English lakey, traitor, not a "real" Scot (maybe an ünter Scot?) an Uncle Tam and a few others not suitable for here, I was even called a tory FFS.

But thats the joyous and civic nationalism we have in Scotland.

Our nationalism is better than other countries nationalism, so I,m told.

"

Yes nationalism does bring out the worse in people it seems.

I found that out myself on the n Ireland referendum thread

SW London

"Great. Lots of lurkers have come outI did notice all the new faces. "

Yes, come on lurkers, I have spoken to many of you and I know you are tired of the right wing bilge on here. Time to make it safe for everyone to air the air their views

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"I just got home and read some of the threads from last night's politics forum. Why so vicious and personal? Does anyone have any ideas?"
Yes people take it all to seriously and think they should run the country.

Of course they should not because I should

By *oorland2Couple  over a year ago

Stoke

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

So very true, often find those with remainiac views and left leanings generally call anybody agrees with leaving, or a reduction in benefits.

Heartless, Tory which is code for thief, dickheads, uneducated xenophobic racist.

But it's just a cloud which those of us who know we are trying to go down better path, will have to battle through.

Any way another crap night in a premier inn trying to earn a decent living and support my family is nearly over. I can go home with head held high knowing that I have never claimed a single benefit in 38 years of work. That I have battled on when it would have been easy to say Ha Mr State benefits please keep me and my family. But pride and a will succeed drives some of us on..

"Shay there is an Ikea thread, get over there onto it"

I actually saw a left winger tell him to fuck off back to Sweden if he didnt like it!!

Do you think that would have been pounced on if he was black and from Kenya? Or polish and married to a black guy?

Not one person i think remarked on it though?

Mainly because most people think hes a Muslim racist so its ok to abuse him maybe?

Why do you think

Stoke

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

SW London

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

So very true, often find those with remainiac views and left leanings generally call anybody agrees with leaving, or a reduction in benefits.

Heartless, Tory which is code for thief, dickheads, uneducated xenophobic racist.

But it's just a cloud which those of us who know we are trying to go down better path, will have to battle through.

Any way another crap night in a premier inn trying to earn a decent living and support my family is nearly over. I can go home with head held high knowing that I have never claimed a single benefit in 38 years of work. That I have battled on when it would have been easy to say Ha Mr State benefits please keep me and my family. But pride and a will succeed drives some of us on.."

Do you have any idea of the situations some people live in? What about those you bestow your charity on? Don't they have enough pride to refuse your money? Or is it better if you are doling it out rather than the state? Personally I haven't claimed a benefit despite being a single parents with three children, not a penny of support from the dad either .... let's have a pissing match about how much tax we pay .... because I am sure myself and my children are now subsiding you somewhere along the line. But, I believe in the welfare state .... and what it stands for

SW London

"Shay there is an Ikea thread, get over there onto it.

I actually saw a left winger tell him to fuck off back to Sweden if he didnt like it!!

Do you think that would have been pounced on if he was black and from Kenya? Or polish and married to a black guy?

Mainly because most people think hes a Muslim racist so its ok to abuse him maybe?

Why do you think"

Just for the record, I am not polish .... and shag, I don't always agree with your views, but I like your attitude. You aren't ever rude

Barbados

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

I haven't been abusive in a post ..... .

I didnt say you had, you said Matt hadnt and as a general rule of thumb he really isnt but occasionally ive seen him refer to people as dim witted, stupid, morons.

Really hes quite intelligent so he generally knows how to conceal his personal attacks better than the less educated and thats just a general theme not a personal attack.

"

Lol. To be honest I don't try to conceal personal attacks. When it gets to the point where I believe the person is beyond any logical reasoning then I tell them outright. Maybe I shouldn't.

-Matt

Why do you think

Just for the record, I am not polish .... and shag, I don't always agree with your views, but I like your attitude. You aren't ever rude "

Sorry i thought i read somewhere that you said you were?

What about my point that on a busy thread nobody said anything about the remark!

Why do you think that was?

I think its justified in their own minds as they think he is a Muslim racist.

It just strikes me as we all suffer from cognitive dissonance but only one side like to throw it at the ignorant as a put down.

I sense a disturbance in the force in this thread....

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

Lol. To be honest I don't try to conceal personal attacks. When it gets to the point where I believe the person is beyond any logical reasoning then I tell them outright. Maybe I shouldn't.

-Matt"

Conceal was a poor word, what i meant is being educated you can wrap it in fancier words to make it sound better, but its still a personal attack?

Hell you only have to look at the threads on spelling and grammar to see the personal attacks on the less educated

SW London

Why do you think

Just for the record, I am not polish .... and shag, I don't always agree with your views, but I like your attitude. You aren't ever rude .

What about my point that on a busy thread nobody said anything about the remark!

It just strikes me as we all suffer from cognitive dissonance but only one side like to throw it at the ignorant as a put down.

"

I didn't see that post to be honest as I am not here all the time and I do miss things. I would have to see the comment in context ... as that is how I read things. I can't comment on it. Some random person said I was polish and I never did get to the bottom of why he did. I was just interested where he will had the idea from, way back when.

As for the comment on Shay, I didn't see it, and it is one comment by a 'leftie' .... I didn't see it ... and haven't seen any others

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Why do you think"

Is shag a Muslim racist? I haven't read the ikea thread, why did they tell him to Fuck off back to Sweden? Did he complain about the meatballs

SW London

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

-Matt.

Conceal was a poor word, what i meant is being educated you can wrap it in fancier words to make it sound better, but its still a personal attack?

Hell you only have to look at the threads on spelling and grammar to see the personal attacks on the less educated"

Being good at spelling is nothing to do with education, though .... lots of factors at play here. Indeed I would go so far as to say that gif you are indeed educated, you would know that spelling isn't an indicator ....

SW London

Why do you think

Is shag a Muslim racist? I haven't read the ikea thread, why did they tell him to Fuck off back to Sweden? Did he complain about the meatballs "

The veggie ones, yes!

Why do you think

Just for the record, I am not polish .... and shag, I don't always agree with your views, but I like your attitude. You aren't ever rude .

I didn't see that post to be honest as I am not here all the time and I do miss things. I would have to see the comment in context ... as that is how I read things. I can't comment on it. Some random person said I was polish and I never did get to the bottom of why he did. I was just interested where he will had the idea from, way back when.

As for the comment on Shay, I didn't see it, and it is one comment by a 'leftie' .... I didn't see it ... and haven't seen any others"

Its interesting because i also think context is important but its usually the first thing twisted when they feel the need to insult you personally

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

-Matt.

Hell you only have to look at the threads on spelling and grammar to see the personal attacks on the less educated

Being good at spelling is nothing to do with education, though .... lots of factors at play here. Indeed I would go so far as to say that gif you are indeed educated, you would know that spelling isn't an indicator .... "

I didnt say i was educated? I said you can see a running theme occur where one side likes to claim superiority? education and rally its just another personal dig disguised as part of the thread but with no context, its not part of the argument just a personal attack

Barbados

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

-Matt.

Being good at spelling is nothing to do with education, though .... lots of factors at play here. Indeed I would go so far as to say that gif you are indeed educated, you would know that spelling isn't an indicator .... "

Indeed. I wouldn't attack someone on their spelling. As you say many reasons, dyslexia, fat thumbs on mobile phones etc.

-Matt

SW London

I don't mind giving spelling and grammar advice because I have a really good knowledge of it .... but I don't offer the advice unless asked for. Even then it gets batted back ....

The politics forum is just playing with words and owning their definitions.Also pulling the argument like a tug of war onto safe ground for your argument to win. Take it with a pinch of salt and let the words be like water off a ducks back.

SW London

"The politics forum is just playing with words and owning their definitions.Also pulling the argument like a tug of war onto safe ground for your argument to win. Take it with a pinch of salt and let the words be like water off a ducks back. "

I am okay when it is to me as no-one here knows anything about me, but I hate the bullying of others

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

Such is politics in general.

People have committed all manner of atrocities in the name of politics in the real world.

Also, this is possibly the tamest politics forum I've ever posted on...

SW London

"Such is politics in general.

People have committed all manner of atrocities in the name of politics in the real world.

Also, this is possibly the tamest politics forum I've ever posted on..."

The insults detract from the politics though, don't they

Ive just read though the whole thread as I'd not paid it any attention until now.

So you came on with a remark about how you always vote labour and wouldn't vote anything else because you're a leftie?

SW London

"Ive just read though the whole thread as I'd not paid it any attention until now.

So you came on with a remark about how you always vote labour and wouldn't vote anything else because you're a leftie?"

And? No personal attacks on me ....

Newbury

"Such is politics in general.

Also, this is possibly the tamest politics forum I've ever posted on...

The insults detract from the politics though, don't they"

Sometimes - The first ever forum I posted on was a political forum run by an anarchist, so anything went (aside from actual threats of violence etc), but was populated by some incredibly intelligent people, and yet compared to this, it was a total bear pit - you really had to know your argument or you'd be ripped a new one. I found it was an invaluable learning tool.

Jim UK above you said you can't be a leftie if you voted new labour, you then said you only pop on rarely because it's too personal on here.

At that stage it wasn't really personal at all.

SW London

"Jim UK above you said you can't be a leftie if you voted new labour, you then said you only pop on rarely because it's too personal on here.

"

Threads are often very personal on here. I don't contribute as I used to for that reason, but now I am thinking, time to reclaim the forum from the bullies. I wasn't making a reference to my own comments as nothing was aimed at me personally on that thread ... tongue in cheek comments about my voting pattern ....

SW London

"Jim UK above you said you can't be a leftie if you voted new labour, you then said you only pop on rarely because it's too personal on here.

"

Plus, I mentioned I was out of the country at that time .... if you can be buttered to track back

Newbury

"

I didn't say I pop on rarely because its' "too personal".

I did, however, say that New Labour was an right wing coup within the Labour Party, so you got it half-right.

"Ive just read though the whole thread as I'd not paid it any attention until now.

So you came on with a remark about how you always vote labour and wouldn't vote anything else because you're a leftie?

And? No personal attacks on me .... "

I'm getting to it .

So you then disappears for a bit, reappear to declare hardly any lefties ever come on the politics forum anyhow despite two very lefties battling it out, although you did declare you hadn't read the thread fully so maybe you'd missed that bit.

Then you come back into the thread on charity!.

You say the system is at fault and this guy giving charity is not helping, he then says what charity he does and you give and I'll be honest a little dig about his "magnanimous handouts"

He then says fuck off you opinionated twat yadda yadda yadda and its all personal.

I dont know, its not good but you did sort of have a go at him for being charitable and set him off, but he should be able to keep more of a civil tongue than that.

To be honest the whole thread is a bit like two kids going my dads bigger than your dad.

Jim UK made some good historical points but they seemed to fall on deaf ears as he's quite condescending with the way he puts it.

The rest of the characters played there usual part and it descends into shouting

SW London

I said I only pop on because it has got too personal ... that is the other half. I can't believe people check back on this ......

SW London

And? No personal attacks on me .... .

I'm getting to it .

So you then disappears for a bit, reappear to declare hardly any lefties ever come on the politics forum anyhow despite two very lefties battling it out, although you did declare you hadn't read the thread fully so maybe you'd missed that bit.

You say the system is at fault and this guy giving charity is not helping, he then says what charity he does and you give and I'll be honest a little dig about his "magnanimous handouts"

He then says fuck off you opinionated twat yadda yadda yadda and its all personal.

I dont know, its not good but you did sort of have a go at him for being charitable and set him off, but he should be able to keep more of a civil tongue than that.

To be honest the whole thread is a bit like two kids going my dads bigger than your dad.

Jim UK made some good historical points but they seemed to fall on deaf ears as he's quite condescending with the way he puts it.

The rest of the characters played there usual part and it descends into shouting "

Glad you are keeping up with my posting. Dipping in and out due to work and family commitments. I don't think I shout .... or play games, indeed, after my post saying he didn't know anything about me, I left as I have to be up early. Dipping back in again when I got home and sorted after work .... I am not sure what your point is, apart from sharing that you have been following what has been going on .....

Newbury

I'm getting to it .

The rest of the characters played there usual part and it descends into shouting "

I was mosly condescending because, it being Saturday night, I reckoned Clem was pissed.

But yeah, I know my writing style can come across as being quite abrasive, but such is politics in general and I make no apologies for it.

Why do you think

Just for the record, I am not polish .... and shag, I don't always agree with your views, but I like your attitude. You aren't ever rude "

Ty and that is right. I am alwais nice

Newbury

"I said I only pop on because it has got too personal ... that is the other half. I can't believe people check back on this ......"

Welome to internet forums, in general (I've known people on other fora use things posters have said over a year ago as ammunition against them)...

Cambridge

Why do you think

Just for the record, I am not polish .... and shag, I don't always agree with your views, but I like your attitude. You aren't ever rude Ty and that is right. I am alwais nice "

You're not nice to the Swedish government, that's why you've been exiled to the UK

I'm getting to it .

The rest of the characters played there usual part and it descends into shouting

I was mosly condescending because, it being Saturday night, I reckoned Clem was pissed.

But yeah, I know my writing style can come across as being quite abrasive, but such is politics in general and I make no apologies for it. "

That wasnt a dig, just my observation on the thread when i read through it, certainly nothing to apologize for

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

The worst of all the forums.

"I said I only pop on because it has got too personal ... that is the other half. I can't believe people check back on this ......

Welome to internet forums, in general (I've known people on other fora use things posters have said over a year ago as ammunition against them)..."

This is true! hahaha I was bob the arsonist for awhile...

I'm getting to it .

Glad you are keeping up with my posting. Dipping in and out due to work and family commitments. I don't think I shout .... or play games, indeed, after my post saying he didn't know anything about me, I left as I have to be up early. Dipping back in again when I got home and sorted after work .... I am not sure what your point is, apart from sharing that you have been following what has been going on ..... "

No i went away to read through the thread to get a handle on the subject this thread is about.

Yes, it got personal very quickly, is there tensions between you and the other guy already existing?

Maybe the politics section needs a arbitration committee

Newbury

"The worst of all the forums."

"The best of forums; the worst of forums" - Dickens.

Newbury

"I said I only pop on because it has got too personal ... that is the other half. I can't believe people check back on this ......

Welome to internet forums, in general (I've known people on other fora use things posters have said over a year ago as ammunition against them)...This is true! hahaha I was bob the arsonist for awhile... "

Twisted firestarter...etc...

SW London

I'm getting to it .

I am not complaining about personal attacks on me.

I'm getting to it .

I am not complaining about personal attacks on me."

I wouldnt worry about the rest of them.

I think there mostly crazy anyhow

SW London

I'm getting to it .

Glad you are keeping up with my posting. Dipping in and out due to work and family commitments. I don't think I shout .... or play games, indeed, after my post saying he didn't know anything about me, I left as I have to be up early. Dipping back in again when I got home and sorted after work .... I am not sure what your point is, apart from sharing that you have been following what has been going on ..... .

No i went away to read through the thread to get a handle on the subject this thread is about.

Yes, it got personal very quickly, is there tensions between you and the other guy already existing?

Maybe the politics section needs a arbitration committee "

No, I don't know the other guy at all

SW London

I guess it just struck me as something that was silly to say and someone sanctimonious always irks me .

"I guess it just struck me as something that was silly to say and someone sanctimonious always irks me ."

We all have our buttons we dont like pressing and unfortunately some people like to push them for just the reaction they get.

SW London

"I guess it just struck me as something that was silly to say and someone sanctimonious always irks me ..

We all have our buttons we dont like pressing and unfortunately some people like to push them for just the reaction they get.

"

Well I think it is people like trying to push buttons, but when someone pushes the same ones back on them, they don't like it .... I see this a lot of the forums here. Nothing is ever personal with me because I am querying and wanting more detail ion their opinion rather than revealing my own in most cases

Newbury

"I guess it just struck me as something that was silly to say and someone sanctimonious always irks me ..

Well I think it is people like trying to push buttons, but when someone pushes the same ones back on them, they don't like it .... I see this a lot of the forums here. Nothing is ever personal with me because I am querying and wanting more detail ion their opinion rather than revealing my own in most cases"

I've hardly ever spoken of my own politics. I find it useful and also amusing when people assume things.

SW London

Well I think it is people like trying to push buttons, but when someone pushes the same ones back on them, they don't like it .... I see this a lot of the forums here. Nothing is ever personal with me because I am querying and wanting more detail ion their opinion rather than revealing my own in most cases

I've hardly ever spoken of my own politics. I find it useful and also amusing when people assume things. "

Same here. After all, who is to know if I am really a leftie, since I confessed to being out of the country rather than voting anyway .... but you are right, lots of assumptions here. I don't even remember what people's poli

SW London

I've hardly ever spoken of my own politics. I find it useful and also amusing when people assume things. "

Same here. After all, who is to know if I am really a leftie, since I confessed to being out of the country rather than voting anyway .... but you are right, lots of assumptions here. I don't even remember what people's politics are .... and no-one even knows if I even voted in the referendum

Newbury

I've hardly ever spoken of my own politics. I find it useful and also amusing when people assume things.

Same here. After all, who is to know if I am really a leftie, since I confessed to being out of the country rather than voting anyway .... but you are right, lots of assumptions here. I don't even remember what people's politics are .... and no-one even knows if I even voted in the referendum"

I suppose that it's fairly obvious that I'm "left", but I do find the assumptions amusing - people seem to like to use the words "left" and "liberal" in the same breath, and I have a feeling that they really don't know what "liberal" means - I would say that the right wing lefties and left-wing right wingers are those who fall into the "liberal" category....

Stoke

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

Any way another crap night in a premier inn trying to earn a decent living and support my family is nearly over. I can go home with head held high knowing that I have never claimed a single benefit in 38 years of work. That I have battled on when it would have been easy to say Ha Mr State benefits please keep me and my family. But pride and a will succeed drives some of us on..

Do you have any idea of the situations some people live in? What about those you bestow your charity on? Don't they have enough pride to refuse your money? Or is it better if you are doling it out rather than the state? Personally I haven't claimed a benefit despite being a single parents with three children, not a penny of support from the dad either .... let's have a pissing match about how much tax we pay .... because I am sure myself and my children are now subsiding you somewhere along the line. But, I believe in the welfare state .... and what it stands for"

i also believe in the welfare state, but i personally think that its massively abused, that many who could and should work choose not to work. And yeah i single handedly raised ny son with out any benefits whilst paying exorbitant maintenance costs to my ex wife who i jointly shared my sons care with, funnily enough she was able to also claim the child benefit payments even though my son spent 50% of his time with me.

i agree that there 1000s of peeps who are in desperate circumstances, whilst 1000s are also allowed to abuse the system. the corrective answer is simple and is also like the NHS a golden chalice which few political parties are actually willing to really challenge

Stoke

Same here. After all, who is to know if I am really a leftie, since I confessed to being out of the country rather than voting anyway .... but you are right, lots of assumptions here. I don't even remember what people's politics are .... and no-one even knows if I even voted in the referendum

I suppose that it's fairly obvious that I'm "left", but I do find the assumptions amusing - people seem to like to use the words "left" and "liberal" in the same breath, and I have a feeling that they really don't know what "liberal" means - I would say that the right wing lefties and left-wing right wingers are those who fall into the "liberal" category...."

nice way to put it lol

Stoke

Same here. After all, who is to know if I am really a leftie, since I confessed to being out of the country rather than voting anyway .... but you are right, lots of assumptions here. I don't even remember what people's politics are .... and no-one even knows if I even voted in the referendum"

well that racist twat Dianne Abbott suddenly came down with a life threatening mystery illness just before she needed to vote with or against the government on article 50

Stoke

I'm getting to it .

just for the record my dad isn't bigger than anybody dad as he is dead. He died sad and lonely caused by alcoholic abuse, he was wife beating alcoholic who didn't provide for his kids. he gambled and womanised. we were forced to steal from his pockets so my mum could provide for us. So yeah, when i stop to chat with peeps who i know are alcoholic dependent, when i choose to buy them a meal rather than give money which will most probably be spent on drink and drugs, it strikes a nerve as i have been on the receiving end of the abuse. I have to pay bailiffs off who called when i was a young guy just starting work. I admire my elder brother who spent his wages on his siblings and on future for us to sit on. So yeah i know exactly how it feels to be poor wanting and hungry. i know what its like to borrow a pair of shoes of my brother so i can go school disco. i know what it s like to be given free school meals. and don't really wish it on anybody.

Stoke

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

Do you have any idea of the situations some people live in? What about those you bestow your charity on? Don't they have enough pride to refuse your money? Or is it better if you are doling it out rather than the state? Personally I haven't claimed a benefit despite being a single parents with three children, not a penny of support from the dad either .... let's have a pissing match about how much tax we pay .... because I am sure myself and my children are now subsiding you somewhere along the line. But, I believe in the welfare state .... and what it stands for"

just for the record my dad isn't bigger than anybody dad as he is dead. He died sad and lonely caused by alcoholic abuse, he was wife beating alcoholic who didn't provide for his kids. he gambled and womanised. we were forced to steal from his pockets so my mum could provide for us. So yeah, when i stop to chat with peeps who i know are alcoholic dependent, when i choose to buy them a meal rather than give money which will most probably be spent on drink and drugs, it strikes a nerve as i have been on the receiving end of the abuse. I have to pay bailiffs off who called when i was a young guy just starting work. I admire my elder brother who spent his wages on his siblings and on future for us to sit on. So yeah i know exactly how it feels to be poor wanting and hungry. i know what its like to borrow a pair of shoes of my brother so i can go school disco. i know what it s like to be given free school meals. and don't really wish it on anybody.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Moorland,your trying too hard...

It makes you look very guilty and not very nice...

By *isandreTV/TS  over a year ago

Hartlepool

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

-Matt"

This

There is no swear filter so the words, however strong, are acceptable. The case for language, strong language has been well made better than I ever could by highly intelligent and eloquent Stephen Fry.

So it should be about context, which I don't think the mods always can understand and some of those who seemingly complain understand.

There are times when someone is a fucking moron. It should not mean a ban when someone ends up calling them this. There are more times when someone thinks someone else is a moron but it is merely a highly charged difference of opinion.

This makes it difficult for the mods who have a hard enough, thankless, unpaid job on their hands.

What is important is acknowledging that there is not a clear position where simply calling someone a fucking moron is a personal attack. Sometimes it is true, particularly when it revolves around either an acceptance of proven facts or a contuance to peddle proven lies, rather than grey area or opinion.

Repeated or excessive insults, as opposed to one or two exasperated ones, in my opinion, enters sanction territory.

Personal attacks, which stray completely from the subject matter, such as a racist or homophobic remark or a disparaging comment about someone's appearance should be an automatic ban.

While we are on the subject, sort of, I would also be relaxed about links to articles or comments around issues of the day that relate to politics or events. I once got a 24 hour ban for linking to a spoof English heritage plaque about Paul nuttall never having lived there. Why that was worthy of a ban I'll never know but it was I suppose against the rules when I was referred to them. In any case I'd never get on a mods case even when I thought they had made a mistake because it's a hard enough job. Nor would I make a complaint if someone made a personal attack on me.

"

There is no swear filter so the words, however strong, are acceptable. The case for language, strong language has been well made better than I ever could by highly intelligent and eloquent Stephen Fry.

So it should be about context, which I don't think the mods always can understand and some of those who seemingly complain understand.

There are times when someone is a fucking moron. It should not mean a ban when someone ends up calling them this. There are more times when someone thinks someone else is a moron but it is merely a highly charged difference of opinion.

This makes it difficult for the mods who have a hard enough, thankless, unpaid job on their hands.

What is important is acknowledging that there is not a clear position where simply calling someone a fucking moron is a personal attack. Sometimes it is true, particularly when it revolves around either an acceptance of proven facts or a contuance to peddle proven lies, rather than grey area or opinion.

Repeated or excessive insults, as opposed to one or two exasperated ones, in my opinion, enters sanction territory.

Personal attacks, which stray completely from the subject matter, such as a racist or homophobic remark or a disparaging comment about someone's appearance should be an automatic ban.

While we are on the subject, sort of, I would also be relaxed about links to articles or comments around issues of the day that relate to politics or events. I once got a 24 hour ban for linking to a spoof English heritage plaque about Paul nuttall never having lived there. Why that was worthy of a ban I'll never know but it was I suppose against the rules when I was referred to them. In any case I'd never get on a mods case even when I thought they had made a mistake because it's a hard enough job. Nor would I make a complaint if someone made a personal attack on me. "

"there is no swear filter"

why is there no swear filter? when there is a filter to prevent you from naming a famous punk rock band the one that sings peaches and something better change - yes; the strang*ers. - simply because it also has another meaning.

How many on here have specifically mentioned a person on this thread, when its in the rules you must not mention other members names

even on the thread above which is copied (above)

You will also find in the rules, you MUST NOT talk about bans or if you have been banned, yet people on this thread continue to do it.

If people are not happy with a comment, or cannot handle or accept a comment which has been made, they can report it to admin, and believe me many do this, mostly its not because they cannot handle what has been said, but to get the person who posted it into trouble

Back to the OP; I have no idea what was said or indeed what it is referring to, if anyone does know the specific thread and the exact comments, perhaps they would be kind enough to PM me

it doesn't have to be mentioned here, just a pm.

Obviously a lot of PM's go on back and forth regarding specific people and specific threads, such as life

and at the end of the day if we cannot handle what is being said, we simply do not need to click on the thread, or again we could run and tell

People dig too deep

moston

Simple rule if you cant take it don't give it...

Seems some here like handing it out but when it is dished back hit the complain button...

I suppose if you are of a certain mind set it makes perfect sense as it gives you a 24 hour window with a critical voice removed.

Sheffield

"Moorland,your trying too hard...

It makes you look very guilty and not very nice..."

Nice example of what the thread is about. They look a damn sight nicer than your comment.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

so i am away for a couple of days (not on the naughty step before some of you think that!!!! lol ) and world war 3 breaks out... so what did i miss?

Cliff notes please....

Lucan

"so i am away for a couple of days (not on the naughty step before some of you think that!!!! lol ) and world war 3 breaks out... so what did i miss?

Cliff notes please...."

You missed different people voicing differing political opinions, some in a nice way, others less so, some claiming the high moral ground even on this thread. Not much new if you ask me.

Stoke

"Moorland,your trying too hard...

It makes you look very guilty and not very nice..."

Thanks for your opinion I read and placed it were it can best used on a length of bog roll

But thanks anyway

Stoke

I prefer that to apathy.

Personal attacks though?

-Matt

-Matt

This

While we are on the subject, sort of, I would also be relaxed about links to articles or comments around issues of the day that relate to politics or events. I once got a 24 hour ban for linking to a spoof English heritage plaque about Paul nuttall never having lived there. Why that was worthy of a ban I'll never know but it was I suppose against the rules when I was referred to them. In any case I'd never get on a mods case even when I thought they had made a mistake because it's a hard enough job. Nor would I make a complaint if someone made a personal attack on me. "

Well said and very well put

Stoke

"Simple rule if you cant take it don't give it...

Seems some here like handing it out but when it is dished back hit the complain button...

I suppose if you are of a certain mind set it makes perfect sense as it gives you a 24 hour window with a critical voice removed. "

I've never hit the complain button, would much sooner take somebody on face to face win or loose

But have had the complain button used on me, but hey that's life

Lucan

How do people know if they've been reported? Do admin tell you?

"How do people know if they've been reported? Do admin tell you? "

You just get an automated message telling you you've been naughty and banned for x amount of time from posting in the forums.

Lucan

"How do people know if they've been reported? Do admin tell you?

You just get an automated message telling you you've been naughty and banned for x amount of time from posting in the forums."

That's what I thought. People above seemed to be saying they knew who reported them though so I was wondering if I missed something.

Sheffield

You just get an automated message telling you you've been naughty and banned for x amount of time from posting in the forums."

Well, they get told they've got a timeout. It doesn't say that it's because they were reported, or even the particular thread / comment. It just says the general rule broken.

Apparently

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

You just get an automated message telling you you've been naughty and banned for x amount of time from posting in the forums.

That's what I thought. People above seemed to be saying they knew who reported them though so I was wondering if I missed something. "

if someone say something so outrageous and beyond the pale, i am normally upfront enough to tell them i am reporting them.... but mostly people will do it in the shadows....

moston

I don't think that is how it works...

I think you only get the mail and ban if an admin thinks the complaint was valid.

Sheffield

I think you only get the mail and ban if an admin thinks the complaint was valid."

That's what he meant. If the complaint is valid. Mods can do it off their own back without a report too, I guess.

Newbury

I used to post on quite a short-lived forum, where the "report post" button simply read "Stasi"...

Stoke

"I used to post on quite a short-lived forum, where the "report post" button simply read "Stasi"... "

Cambridge

I agree OP, there are some vicious and personal threads going around.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"I agree OP, there are some vicious and personal threads going around. "

Where?

That's what I thought. People above seemed to be saying they knew who reported them though so I was wondering if I missed something. "

Ive not had to do it myself much but there was one thread where i was constantly personally attacked so I warned him first that if he continued i would report him but he didnt stop, so i then told him on his next post id reported him although i actually hadnt it did moderate his name calling

"I agree OP, there are some vicious and personal threads going around.

Where? "

You missed it mate.The bin men have been and removed the rubbish.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

Where? You missed it mate.The bin men have been and removed the rubbish. "

I saw a thread on here earlier that has been removed now but the OP didn't name anyone. I can't see what forum rules were actually broken?

Where? You missed it mate.The bin men have been and removed the rubbish. "

Where? You missed it mate.The bin men have been and removed the rubbish.

I saw a thread on here earlier that has been removed now but the OP didn't name anyone. I can't see what forum rules were actually broken? "

I'm guessing the bin men dont agree with you.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

You may not have been reported though, a mod could have just read the post

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I think you only get the mail and ban if an admin thinks the complaint was valid."

Forum Mod

O o O oo

If you see personal attacks and a mod hasn't seen it then please report.

Please don't get "personal attacks" confused with disagreeing with another person passionately though as that isn't bullying/ personal attacks or abuse

Lucan

You may not have been reported though, a mod could have just read the post"

Why is it that mods can't tell people specifically why they're giving them a timeout?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

You may not have been reported though, a mod could have just read the post

Why is it that mods can't tell people specifically why they're giving them a timeout? "

Because Admin don't want mods to get mail about bans. They advise mods to advise the person banned to contact Admin themselves from the CONTACT button.

As advised this, use the contact button if you want to dispute a ban

Why do you think

As for the comment on Shay, I didn't see it, and it is one comment by a 'leftie' .... I didn't see it ... and haven't seen any others.

Its interesting because i also think context is important but its usually the first thing twisted when they feel the need to insult you personally"

Yes, it was in the scottish independence thread when I said what may did was the start off dictatorship, that user alwais make such comments to me, so its nothing new. I just ignore them.

SW London

Why do you think

As for the comment on Shay, I didn't see it, and it is one comment by a 'leftie' .... I didn't see it ... and haven't seen any others.

Its interesting because i also think context is important but its usually the first thing twisted when they feel the need to insult you personallyYes, it was in the scottish independence thread when I said what may did was the start off dictatorship, that user alwais make such comments to me, so its nothing new. I just ignore them."

Yes, but that is when it is personal and bullying as it is happening repeatedly and it is the same person. There is someone I know who is always doing this to my posts, and I report them every time because it clearly is personal. They don't often come into the politics forum though. Its a bit sad getting silenced all the time ....

moston

"Yes, but that is when it is personal and bullying as it is happening repeatedly and it is the same person. There is someone I know who is always doing this to my posts, and I report them every time because it clearly is personal. They don't often come into the politics forum though. Its a bit sad getting silenced all the time ...."

I am sorry to hear you are been subject to that sort of abuse, it is clearly wrong. I know there are some here who hold diametrically opposed views to me on most subjects and that at times our exchanges become quite personal. But I do not think there is a single person here that I do not share common ground with on at least one subject. I for one would be very sad if I thought that any of this forums contributors was attacking any post because of who posted it rather than it's content.