FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > New Bank holidays!

New Bank holidays!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *bernath OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Labour just announced, that it will be looking to make all the national saints days (st.andrew, st. david, st. george and st.patrick) national holidays and make shakespeares birthday bank holiday also!

Also UKIP have decided to step up their campaign of becoming the anti-islam party by putting in its manifesto to ban muslims from the UK.

But hey, more holidays if labour win!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If labour win we'll all be on holiday every day

Gloucestershire

Sounds good who doesn't like a holiday? So from the logic posed, The tories would have us working 24/7?

Well i knew the tories favoured zero hour contracts did not realise they wanted indentured servitude also!

Hang on thats what they tried to do with NHS contracts for Junior Doctors!

Damn!

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"Labour just announced, that it will be looking to make all the national saints days (st.andrew, st. david, st. george and st.patrick) national holidays and make shakespeares birthday bank holiday also!

Also UKIP have decided to step up their campaign of becoming the anti-islam party by putting in its manifesto to ban muslims from the UK.

But hey, more holidays if labour win!"

UKIP have not stated that they will ban muslims. They want to ban face coverings (as per Belguim and France) and outlaw sharia law.

Facts please, not ill thought out opinion!

"Labour just announced, that it will be looking to make all the national saints days (st.andrew, st. david, st. george and st.patrick) national holidays and make shakespeares birthday bank holiday also!

UKIP have not stated that they will ban muslims. They want to ban face coverings (as per Belguim and France) and outlaw sharia law.

Facts please, not ill thought out opinion!"

Facts!!! in the political forum... never

Gloucestershire

Isn't that the same? Its banning muslims (i.e. brown people) via restictions on their liberty, do you think banning something is really the right message to show to the real terrorists, it just proves the point we are intolerant as they are!

Grantham

Isn't that the same? Its banning muslims (i.e. brown people) via restictions on their liberty, do you think banning something is really the right message to show to the real terrorists, it just proves the point we are intolerant as they are! "

If thats your opinion, then stick by it. The facts are Muslims have no travel restrictions to the UK and no political party seeks to change that.

Grantham

Isn't that the same? Its banning muslims (i.e. brown people) via restictions on their liberty, do you think banning something is really the right message to show to the real terrorists, it just proves the point we are intolerant as they are! "

And you clearly show your intolerance by calling muslims "brown people"!

Another factually incorrect statement.

Gloucestershire

Isn't that the same? Its banning muslims (i.e. brown people) via restictions on their liberty, do you think banning something is really the right message to show to the real terrorists, it just proves the point we are intolerant as they are!

And you clearly show your intolerance by calling muslims "brown people"!

Another factually incorrect statement."

How is that being intolerant? its a fact that the majority of muslims in the UK are brown skinned?

am I wrong?

Also, who said that would be the next thing UKIP will ask for also? keep muslims out? it will happen.

and be realistic, UKIP is BNP lite for most people who support them. The party is covert bigotry wrapped up with nationalist tendencies. Who hoodwink the majority of decent people into accepting their warped view of reality.

People if you are annoyed with stuff, vote tory at least but not for these jumped up junior jackbooters.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

put this in the other thread....

In a way Corbyn does have a point on this one.... as the uk has the least amount of bank holidays in the G20....

but I don't think this is the way to rectify the issue as for the reasons.

So for context... the uk has 8

Europe average is 11

G20 average is 13

the way corbyn wants to do wouldn't work purely for the logicial reason that you would end up having march 1st, march 17th, good friday, easter monday, april 23, may day and spring bank holiday all in a short period of time.....

if he is going to to it and propose more bank holidays... you would be better off spreading them out....

you have a huge period between jan till easter... late may till late aug, and then late aug till xams where there is nothing....

even if you were to just create another 3.... if you were to still bank holidays at even spaces in those 3... lets say mid feb, mid july, and late october,.... that would be much better!!!!

[Removed by poster at 23/04/17 10:19:49]

Only Labour with their out of touch leader could try this silly idea as an election bribe. Who wants a holiday in March or November for goodness sake when the clocks have gone back and we are hunkered down in deepest winter. At least do 3 out of the 4 in the summer when we'd perhaps be able to us the extra daylight a bit. At least if you're going to have a silly idea like that put some decent dates forward like August 1st (which used to be a bank) and perhaps queens birthday or something.

This is the man that brings you banks staying open that nobody infact uses. Wow...... I wonder what new and innovative idea his crackpot think tank will come up with next.

All that will happen is like what has happened to my partner who works in retail anyway. She is made to work most bank holidays and gets the day off in lieu anyway. Thanks Jezza for putting forward another day in which I personally don't work in retail and means we have yet another day in the year where we are not on leave at the same time. Smart move

Gloucestershire

"Only Labour with their out of touch leader could try this silly idea as an election bribe. Who wants a holiday in March or November for goodness sake when the clocks have gone back and we are hunkered down in deepest winter. At least do 3 out of the 4 in the summer when we'd perhaps be able to us the extra daylight a bit. At least if you're going to have a silly idea like that put some decent dates forward like August 1st (which used to be a bank) and perhaps queens birthday or something.

This is the man that brings you banks staying open that nobody infact uses. Wow...... I wonder what new and innovative idea his crackpot think tank will come up with next.

All that will happen is like what has happened to my partner who works in retail anyway. She is made to work most bank holidays and gets the day off in lieu anyway. Thanks Jezza for putting forward another day in which I personally don't work in retail and means we have yet another day in the year where we are not on leave at the same time. Smart move "

Its a better bribe than imaginary money from quitting the EU, or cutting taxes. Paid holiday is brill and bank holiday pay is usually increased for people. I would rather be paid more in time off than constantly working.

"Sounds good who doesn't like a holiday? So from the logic posed, The tories would have us working 24/7?

Well i knew the tories favoured zero hour contracts did not realise they wanted indentured servitude also!

Hang on thats what they tried to do with NHS contracts for Junior Doctors!

Damn! "

Not in retail I'm afraid. You don't get extra working bank holidays for the major chain she works for. All you get off is a day in lieu to take when you want. The main problem for us is I do get the banks so when she wants the time off I am at work. If you follow this logic through what they should be arguing for is say minimum 24 paid leave days/year + guaranteed bank holidays as they are.

Bear in mind that in America you are lucky to get 10-15 days paid leave per year + banks so we are realatively well off compared to them.

Sorry this idea is just silly. It's a silly idea that someone has stuck their hand up in a think tank room and they've all agreed what a jolly good idea it is.

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

"put this in the other thread....

In a way Corbyn does have a point on this one.... as the uk has the least amount of bank holidays in the G20....

Europe average is 11

G20 average is 13

the way corbyn wants to do wouldn't work purely for the logicial reason that you would end up having march 1st, march 17th, good friday, easter monday, april 23, may day and spring bank holiday all in a short period of time.....

if he is going to to it and propose more bank holidays... you would be better off spreading them out....

you have a huge period between jan till easter... late may till late aug, and then late aug till xams where there is nothing....

even if you were to just create another 3.... if you were to still bank holidays at even spaces in those 3... lets say mid feb, mid july, and late october,.... that would be much better!!!!"

Wasn't the idea of having them on UK saints days to try and promote a bit of unity too?

Also, I don't think it's that unrealistic. I lived in Germany for a few years and in May you could have a bank holiday every week depending on when they fell. It was a great month when it happened.

I also think the days move, so some years some would be on weekends anyway. For example this year St George's day is on a Sunday. Next year St Patrick's on a Saturday.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

Like the rest of Labours cloud cookoo land plans how does Corbyn intend to pay for this? Bank holidays are not free and cost business money, by adding 4 extra bank holidays into the calendar would put untold strain on businesses. With many businesses closed for the 4 extra days would also result in less income to the exchequer. Theresa May was right when she said at PMQ's on Wednesday Corbyn would end up bankrupting the country.

London

"Not in retail I'm afraid. You don't get extra working bank holidays for the major chain she works for. All you get off is a day in lieu to take when you want. The main problem for us is I do get the banks so when she wants the time off I am at work. If you follow this logic through what they should be arguing for is say minimum 24 paid leave days/year + guaranteed bank holidays as they are.

Bear in mind that in America you are lucky to get 10-15 days paid leave per year + banks so we are realatively well off compared to them.

Sorry this idea is just silly. It's a silly idea that someone has stuck their hand up in a think tank room and they've all agreed what a jolly good idea it is."

I don't think saying we're well off compared to America says much given that they're only one of 3 countries in the world that doesn't provide paid maternity leave.

Also, you're working to the assumption that being forced to work on a bank holiday. Maybe the problem is with the employer?

London

"Not in retail I'm afraid. You don't get extra working bank holidays for the major chain she works for. All you get off is a day in lieu to take when you want. The main problem for us is I do get the banks so when she wants the time off I am at work. If you follow this logic through what they should be arguing for is say minimum 24 paid leave days/year + guaranteed bank holidays as they are.

Sorry this idea is just silly. It's a silly idea that someone has stuck their hand up in a think tank room and they've all agreed what a jolly good idea it is.

I don't think saying we're well off compared to America says much given that they're only one of 3 countries in the world that doesn't provide paid maternity leave.

Also, you're working to the assumption that being forced to work on a bank holiday. Maybe the problem is with the employer?"

Being forced to work on a bank holiday *is ok*

Gloucestershire

Sorry this idea is just silly. It's a silly idea that someone has stuck their hand up in a think tank room and they've all agreed what a jolly good idea it is."

Days in lieu for bank holidays should be banned, they are like the zero hour contract. its a shameful practice,

So complain to the person who runs the company, you want people to work on public holidays you pay double. Simple as.

Most of the islamic terrorist attacks which have happened in Europe have happened when a person is wearing normal everyday clothes.

The UKIP logic of restricting religious freedom out of security is a fallacy, if someone is going to try and stab someone or blow themselves up whilst shouting Allu Akbar they will do it hiding in plain site up until that morning.

In addition I'm sure the police have more pressing issues than policing a minority religious garment.

London

Like the rest of Labours cloud cookoo land plans how does Corbyn intend to pay for this? Bank holidays are not free and cost business money, by adding 4 extra bank holidays into the calendar would put untold strain on businesses. With many businesses closed for the 4 extra days would also result in less income to the exchequer. Theresa May was right when she said at PMQ's on Wednesday Corbyn would end up bankrupting the country. "

Aren't you always banging on about how great the UK is. If Germany can make the holidays work and still have a higher productivity why can't we?

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Like the rest of Labours cloud cookoo land plans how does Corbyn intend to pay for this? Bank holidays are not free and cost business money, by adding 4 extra bank holidays into the calendar would put untold strain on businesses. With many businesses closed for the 4 extra days would also result in less income to the exchequer. Theresa May was right when she said at PMQ's on Wednesday Corbyn would end up bankrupting the country. "

Okay... let's put it another way....

Is it okay the uk has the least public holidays?

Just checked with Mrs N. She can ask not to work a bank holiday, but the assumption is that because it's a day when majority of public are off they do expect them to work because it is to be accepted by the worker that it will be one of the shops busier days.

Still same thing really. Instead of the presumption in my business that I intend to take it off, there is the presumption that she will work it.

Cannock

Like the rest of Labours cloud cookoo land plans how does Corbyn intend to pay for this? Bank holidays are not free and cost business money, by adding 4 extra bank holidays into the calendar would put untold strain on businesses. With many businesses closed for the 4 extra days would also result in less income to the exchequer. Theresa May was right when she said at PMQ's on Wednesday Corbyn would end up bankrupting the country.

Aren't you always banging on about how great the UK is. If Germany can make the holidays work and still have a higher productivity why can't we?"

Yes the UK is a great country, and will be even better now we are leaving the EU, but I'm also a realist and still no one has explained how Corbyn and Labour intend to pay for this hair brained idea?

Cannock

"

Is it okay the uk has the least public holidays?"

Compared to who? The UK gets more public holidays than many other countries in the world. Someone else already pointed out in the thread we already get more than America.

You beat me to it. This would cost businesses billions. Many small businesses would struggle to absorb the direct holiday cost, plus the extra staffing costs required to recover lost productivity and output.

Cheap attempts to buy votes like this are a massive insult to the intelligence of everyone who can see through them.

Gloucestershire

Well lookie here, the old how will we pay for it argument, well i suppose with the extra 350m a week promised from brexit i guess....

Gloucestershire

Most of the islamic terrorist attacks which have happened in Europe have happened when a person is wearing normal everyday clothes.

The UKIP logic of restricting religious freedom out of security is a fallacy, if someone is going to try and stab someone or blow themselves up whilst shouting Allu Akbar they will do it hiding in plain site up until that morning.

In addition I'm sure the police have more pressing issues than policing a minority religious garment. "

Gloucestershire

"Just checked with Mrs N. She can ask not to work a bank holiday, but the assumption is that because it's a day when majority of public are off they do expect them to work because it is to be accepted by the worker that it will be one of the shops busier days.

Still same thing really. Instead of the presumption in my business that I intend to take it off, there is the presumption that she will work it."

Therefore you have a choice if it supposed to be a busier day, then pay the worker for working that day fairly.

besides bank holiday work is an excuse for businesses to reap the benefit of increased profit to the detriment of its workers.

Bank holidays are good for the soul! I would like to see the following bank holidays :

8th May end of WW2 in Europe

11the November end of WW1

Also possibly the end of WW2 in Far East? So 2-3 extra day's for very significant dates in our recent history!

Gloucestershire

"Bank holidays are good for the soul! I would like to see the following bank holidays :

Also possibly the end of WW2 in Far East? So 2-3 extra day's for very significant dates in our recent history! "

Cannock

"Bank holidays are good for the soul! I would like to see the following bank holidays :

Also possibly the end of WW2 in Far East? So 2-3 extra day's for very significant dates in our recent history! "

And how would government pay for the extra bank holidays?

Cannock

Well lookie here, the old how will we pay for it argument, well i suppose with the extra 350m a week promised from brexit i guess.... "

The 350m from leaving the EU was suggested to go towards the NHS. So you want to take money away from the NHS to pay for the extra bank holidays?

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Compared to who? The UK gets more public holidays than many other countries in the world. Someone else already pointed out in the thread we already get more than America. "

Actually that is not even close to being true...

The uk gets the least bank holidays of any country in the G20 group of countries... and if you want to make the direct comparison between the uk and the us.. the uk has 8 whereas the us has 12......

London

You beat me to it. This would cost businesses billions. Many small businesses would struggle to absorb the direct holiday cost, plus the extra staffing costs required to recover lost productivity and output.

Cheap attempts to buy votes like this are a massive insult to the intelligence of everyone who can see through them."

Like an extra £350 million a week to the NHS.

Gloucestershire

Well lookie here, the old how will we pay for it argument, well i suppose with the extra 350m a week promised from brexit i guess....

The 350m from leaving the EU was suggested to go towards the NHS. So you want to take money away from the NHS to pay for the extra bank holidays? "

ah the imaginary 350m, i dreamt up the idea with the leave spin doctors, on a cloud with my mate Arthur in camelot, and the blokes on the round table john, ringo, paul and george.

London

"

Compared to who? The UK gets more public holidays than many other countries in the world. Someone else already pointed out in the thread we already get more than America. "

Again, America is a sh*t example for workers rights.

London

[Removed by poster at 23/04/17 13:59:22]

London

Also possibly the end of WW2 in Far East? So 2-3 extra day's for very significant dates in our recent history!

And how would government pay for the extra bank holidays? "

I propose an idiot tax on everyone who voted for Brexit.

"I propose an idiot tax on everyone who voted for Brexit."

higher productivity!

The 350m from leaving the EU was suggested to go towards the NHS. So you want to take money away from the NHS to pay for the extra bank holidays? "

oops 3 flying pigs carry 350m

I propose an idiot tax on everyone who voted for Brexit."

Yep. It would be. But seeing as you proposed it...

London

Yep. It would be. But seeing as you proposed it..."

Then the word would be "idiotic". Another dictionary fail?

Then the word would be "idiotic". Another dictionary fail?"

Yes, maybe use it before you post next time

London

Then the word would be "idiotic". Another dictionary fail?

Yes, maybe use it before you post next time "

I was talking about you and all the times you need correcting for your inadequate grasp of the English language.

Cannock

The 350m from leaving the EU was suggested to go towards the NHS. So you want to take money away from the NHS to pay for the extra bank holidays?

oops 3 flying pigs carry 350m"

So you don't want to take money away from the NHS to pay for the extra bank holidays. Where is the money going to come from for the 4 extra bank holidays Corbyn is proposing?

London

So you don't want to take money away from the NHS to pay for the extra bank holidays. Where is the money going to come from for the 4 extra bank holidays Corbyn is proposing? "

You don't need to pay for them if people are more productive when at work.

Cannock

So you don't want to take money away from the NHS to pay for the extra bank holidays. Where is the money going to come from for the 4 extra bank holidays Corbyn is proposing?

You don't need to pay for them if people are more productive when at work."

How will you make them more productive? You say these things but I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about. To implement these extra 4 bank holidays will cost the government and bussineses vast amounts of money. There is no way of getting around it. Corbyn will have to make cuts from somewhere else to pay for it.

Grantham

The proposed extra Bank Holidays work out at about 1.6% the working year.

For some Companies, that would work out at 1.6% of turnover.

London

How will you make them more productive? You say these things but I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about. To implement these extra 4 bank holidays will cost the government and bussineses vast amounts of money. There is no way of getting around it. Corbyn will have to make cuts from somewhere else to pay for it. "

Increasing productivity doesn't require that much imagination.

And funnily enough most countries that have more holidays are also more productive.

How will you make them more productive? You say these things but I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about. To implement these extra 4 bank holidays will cost the government and bussineses vast amounts of money. There is no way of getting around it. Corbyn will have to make cuts from somewhere else to pay for it.

Increasing productivity doesn't require that much imagination.

And funnily enough most countries that have more holidays are also more productive."

happy workforce more productive - well know fact

By *orestersCouple  over a year ago

The Forest

I find it rather odd that a man who leads a party called "labour" is actually advocating less labour.

By *VBethTV/TS  over a year ago

Warminster

After all, simply turning up the speed of the factory conveyer belt would up production wouldn't it? I don't know why nobody has thought of it before! Perhaps increase the suction on the milking machines? Make drivers go faster than the speed limits?

How would one up production country-wide by enough to make 4 new bank holidays cost-neutral?

It's another world beating plan from a think tank that didn't!!

London

"After all, simply turning up the speed of the factory conveyer belt would up production wouldn't it? I don't know why nobody has thought of it before! Perhaps increase the suction on the milking machines? Make drivers go faster than the speed limits?

How would one up production country-wide by enough to make 4 new bank holidays cost-neutral?

It's another world beating plan from a think tank that didn't!! "

Do you go through life never improving anything you ever do?

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

Alternative facts and fake news are only the domain of the far right, we'll have you know!

Gloucestershire

We fail to realise that rest is a essential part work, it is like day and night they are needed. If we do not take sufficient rest then our capacity to work effectively decreases.

Besides I would think that considering the site we are all using, more time off to play would be in everyones interest?

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

This thread and the current aneurisms right-wing people I know are having after spending half their time sharing right wing memes about how its a disgrace that StGeorges' day isn't a bank holiday, whilst in the next breath saying that more bank holidays are the death-knell for Britain because they are now a Labour policy is causing me much amusement currently.

Gloucestershire

[Removed by poster at 23/04/17 21:05:13]

Gloucestershire

"This thread and the current aneurisms right-wing people I know are having after spending half their time sharing right wing memes about how its a disgrace that StGeorges' day isn't a bank holiday, whilst in the next breath saying that more bank holidays are the death-knell for Britain because they are now a Labour policy is causing me much amusement currently. "

Jimi me and you both

Cannock

"We fail to realise that rest is a essential part work, it is like day and night they are needed. If we do not take sufficient rest then our capacity to work effectively decreases.

Besides I would think that considering the site we are all using, more time off to play would be in everyones interest? "

St Georges Day is today, a Sunday so it is already a day of rest. It would be completely pointless making it a bank holiday. Pointless a bit like the rest of Labours ideas.

London

"We fail to realise that rest is a essential part work, it is like day and night they are needed. If we do not take sufficient rest then our capacity to work effectively decreases.

Besides I would think that considering the site we are all using, more time off to play would be in everyones interest?

St Georges Day is today, a Sunday so it is already a day of rest. It would be completely pointless making it a bank holiday. Pointless a bit like the rest of Labours ideas. "

Do you realise the day moves every year, just like your birthday pumpkin?

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

St Georges Day is today, a Sunday so it is already a day of rest. It would be completely pointless making it a bank holiday. Pointless a bit like the rest of Labours ideas. "

I just want to take a moment to quote this post...

I have no words.....

London

St Georges Day is today, a Sunday so it is already a day of rest. It would be completely pointless making it a bank holiday. Pointless a bit like the rest of Labours ideas.

I have no words..... "

His genius is astounding at times isn't it?

Newcastle and Gateshead

I have no words.....

His genius is astounding at times isn't it?"

don't worry he will deflect it... or never come back to it....

just like the point he tried to make when he claimed the UK has more public holidays than most countries (not true).... then claimed the UK had more public holidays than the US (also not true)

i am just trying to work out how he can defend the fact he doesn't want to give us more bank holidays when we get the lowest amount of national bank holidays than any other G20 Country....

and so much for work life balance.....

Cannock

Do you realise the day moves every year, just like your birthday pumpkin?"

I was talking about Sunday's of course I know the days move forward each year. The poster I quoted was talking about how essential it is for workers to have rest days. We already have rest days, it's called the weekend, one of which is a Sunday. Completely pointless making Sundays a bank holiday.

London

I have no words.....

just like the point he tried to make when he claimed the UK has more public holidays than most countries (not true).... then claimed the UK had more public holidays than the US (also not true)

i am just trying to work out how he can defend the fact he doesn't want to give us more bank holidays when we get the lowest amount of national bank holidays than any other G20 Country....

and so much for work life balance..... "

I'm sure.

Although the other day he claimed any MP could ask a question during PMQs, and then denied it until I copied and pasted his post back to him. At which point he then claimed he was simplifying because it was so obvious that the speaker decided that he didn't need to say it!

London

I was talking about Sunday's of course I know the days move forward each year. The poster I quoted was talking about how essential it is for workers to have rest days. We already have rest days, it's called the weekend, one of which is a Sunday. Completely pointless making Sundays a bank holiday. "

And there we go

Newcastle and Gateshead

I was talking about Sunday's of course I know the days move forward each year. The poster I quoted was talking about how essential it is for workers to have rest days. We already have rest days, it's called the weekend, one of which is a Sunday. Completely pointless making Sundays a bank holiday. "

okay... are you aware we already have a moveable date bank holiday??? its actually the next one!!!!

you do realise that if may 1st doesn't fall on a monday, then the may day bank holiday is moved to the 1st monday after... don't you?

London

I was talking about Sunday's of course I know the days move forward each year. The poster I quoted was talking about how essential it is for workers to have rest days. We already have rest days, it's called the weekend, one of which is a Sunday. Completely pointless making Sundays a bank holiday.

okay... are you aware we already have a moveable date bank holiday??? its actually the next one!!!!

you do realise that if may 1st doesn't fall on a monday, then the may day bank holiday is moved to the 1st monday after... don't you? "

Don't, they'll be steam coming out of his ears

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

have you morphed into Pat, Centaur..?

Cannock

I have no words.....

and so much for work life balance..... "

Someone else already addressed the point about America having less holidays than the UK on the other thread Fabio. Did you bother to read it? The USA gets less annual leave in holidays than the UK so even though they get more bank holidays when you combine annual leave into it overall in real terms the USA has less time off over the course of a year than the uk. As for your point on why do I want less bank holidays, well when you or someone else explains how it intends to be paid for maybe I'll listen. So far all I've heard is pie in the sky and Corbyn may as well plant a money tree in his garden to pay for it.

Grantham

In a global 24/7 society may people work on Sundays. Bank Holidays are a throwback to Victorian "dark satanic mill" times.

Yes, we should have more public holidays. It's just a case of how we apply them, how society benefits and how they get costed.

Gloucestershire

And there we go "

Cannock

I have no words.....

I'm sure.

Although the other day he claimed any MP could ask a question during PMQs, and then denied it until I copied and pasted his post back to him. At which point he then claimed he was simplifying because it was so obvious that the speaker decided that he didn't need to say it!

"

You got your arse spanked in that little debate, that little exchange is on the other thread for everyone to read. You didn't even know that MP's had to be selected by the speaker before they can ask the Prime minister a question.

London

I have no words.....

Someone else already addressed the point about America having less holidays than the UK on the other thread Fabio. Did you bother to read it? The USA gets less annual leave in holidays than the UK so even though they get more bank holidays when you combine annual leave into it overall in real terms the USA has less time off over the course of a year than the uk. As for your point on why do I want less bank holidays, well when you or someone else explains how it intends to be paid for maybe I'll listen. So far all I've heard is pie in the sky and Corbyn may as well plant a money tree in his garden to pay for it. "

Again, America is a terrible example of workers rights. This is a country that doesn't provide any paid maternity leave. Along with Swaziland, Lesotho and Papua New Guinea.

Way to go for aspirations.

London

I have no words.....

I'm sure.

You got your arse spanked in that little debate, that little exchange is on the other thread for everyone to read. You didn't even know that MP's had to be selected by the speaker before they can ask the Prime minister a question. "

No, that's the exact opposite of what happened. I encourage everyone to go and read the thread if they like examples of Centaurs logic.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

No, that's the exact opposite of what happened. I encourage everyone to go and read the thread if they like examples of Centaurs logic."

don't worry... i have the classic of the wiretapping thread for centaurs logic.....

did you notice the "may day" deflection by the way?

Cannock

I have no words.....

I'm sure.

You got your arse spanked in that little debate, that little exchange is on the other thread for everyone to read. You didn't even know that MP's had to be selected by the speaker before they can ask the Prime minister a question.

No, that's the exact opposite of what happened. I encourage everyone to go and read the thread if they like examples of Centaurs logic."

No, It's exactly what happened. You dragged something up from Google about a paper order, completely missing the point that is still subject to being selected by the speaker.

By *oorland2Couple  over a year ago

Stoke

"If labour win we'll all be on holiday every day"

And bust and many will have no money left to spend on there newly gained bank holidays

London

I have no words.....

I'm sure.

No, that's the exact opposite of what happened. I encourage everyone to go and read the thread if they like examples of Centaurs logic.

No, It's exactly what happened. You dragged something up from Google about a paper order, completely missing the point that is still subject to being selected by the speaker. "

Ha, you are worse than Trump.

You wrote "and MP can ask a question".

To which I replied go and Google "order paper".

That same Google search explains that the order paper is what the speaker uses to select questions.

You then jumped on that to say you knew the speaker was involved but it was so obvious you didn't mention it the first time round.

Really schnookie, we can see right through you and you're just making it worse.

But keep going. This tactic is called "give him enough rope to hang himself" and it clearly works.

The Forest

It's doubtful that Corbyn will follow through on this promise anyway. Anybody remember the train seat farce? He complained about lack of seats and was photographed sitting on the floor. Then Virgin released the CCTV footage of him walking past numerous empty seats. Not only is he a liar, but he's a very very stupid individual. He just didn't have the vaguest idea that he might be on CCTV and that kind of moronic stupidity seems to personify labour. I'd rather vote for a breeze block.

London

I have no words.....

I'm sure.

No, It's exactly what happened. You dragged something up from Google about a paper order, completely missing the point that is still subject to being selected by the speaker.

Ha, you are worse than Trump.

You wrote "and MP can ask a question".

To which I replied go and Google "order paper".

That same Google search explains that the order paper is what the speaker uses to select questions.

You then jumped on that to say you knew the speaker was involved but it was so obvious you didn't mention it the first time round.

Really schnookie, we can see right through you and you're just making it worse.

But keep going. This tactic is called "give him enough rope to hang himself" and it clearly works."

"Any MP" not *and MP*

Stoke

The WTD dictates breaks and time off for those who are employed, and you have the opt out option, so you can work more than 48 hours in any 1 week, but it's taking as rolling 13 weeks rule

Stoke

"It's doubtful that Corbyn will follow through on this promise anyway. Anybody remember the train seat farce? He complained about lack of seats and was photographed sitting on the floor. Then Virgin released the CCTV footage of him walking past numerous empty seats. Not only is he a liar, but he's a very very stupid individual. He just didn't have the vaguest idea that he might be on CCTV and that kind of moronic stupidity seems to personify labour. I'd rather vote for a breeze block. "

, isn't a breeze block the latest symbol to be adopted by @labourparty

The Forest

"It's doubtful that Corbyn will follow through on this promise anyway. Anybody remember the train seat farce? He complained about lack of seats and was photographed sitting on the floor. Then Virgin released the CCTV footage of him walking past numerous empty seats. Not only is he a liar, but he's a very very stupid individual. He just didn't have the vaguest idea that he might be on CCTV and that kind of moronic stupidity seems to personify labour. I'd rather vote for a breeze block.

, isn't a breeze block the latest symbol to be adopted by @labourparty"

It would be a true representation of their brightest and best

London

"It's doubtful that Corbyn will follow through on this promise anyway. Anybody remember the train seat farce? He complained about lack of seats and was photographed sitting on the floor. Then Virgin released the CCTV footage of him walking past numerous empty seats. Not only is he a liar, but he's a very very stupid individual. He just didn't have the vaguest idea that he might be on CCTV and that kind of moronic stupidity seems to personify labour. I'd rather vote for a breeze block.

Vs the Imperial Eagle that May plans to roll out?

Everyone has missed the point. It's easy to promise something when you know you will never be in a position to have to back it up.

Stoke

"Everyone has missed the point. It's easy to promise something when you know you will never be in a position to have to back it up."

Stoke

Vs the Imperial Eagle that May plans to roll out?"

I would sooner have a Cockapoo as the emblem

Active Fun Loving Caring

Seems like these are the true values of many who vote conservative

Cannock

Yeah it changed from Miliband's stone tablet to a breeze block when Corbyn took over.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Everyone has missed the point. It's easy to promise something when you know you will never be in a position to have to back it up. "

okay.... so can i ask you a very simple question...

are you for "st.george's day" being a bank holiday or not?

just a "yes" or "no" will do.... please keep it short and sweet?

Newcastle and Gateshead

Yeah it changed from Miliband's stone tablet to a breeze block when Corbyn took over. "

okay.... same simple question for you...

just a "yes" or "no" will do....

Stoke

"Everyone has missed the point. It's easy to promise something when you know you will never be in a position to have to back it up.

just a "yes" or "no" will do.... please keep it short and sweet?"

Yeah I think we should have a bank holiday for St George, but I'm sure the PC brigade would say its racist and does fit in with modern England, after all it would surely offend the Muslims, what with so many of them being able to say how the crusades directly affected them

"Everyone has missed the point. It's easy to promise something when you know you will never be in a position to have to back it up.

just a "yes" or "no" will do.... please keep it short and sweet?"

It isn't a simple yes or no answer. It is a yes and no answer. Which is entirely irrelevant to my initial post.

London

Vs the Imperial Eagle that May plans to roll out?

I would sooner have a Cockapoo as the emblem

Active Fun Loving Caring

Seems like these are the true values of many who vote conservative "

Yes, Theresa May always looks quite gentle I think. I never hum the Imperial March when she's on the telebox

London

Yeah I think we should have a bank holiday for St George, but I'm sure the PC brigade would say its racist and does fit in with modern England, after all it would surely offend the Muslims, what with so many of them being able to say how the crusades directly affected them"

Isn't that what Corbyn's just suggested?

Newcastle and Gateshead

Yeah I think we should have a bank holiday for St George, "

I cut out the rest of the diatribe because it is irrelivant to the question.....

so let me follow up.....

so what part of the proposal is it that you hate... or just the fact that it was corbyn who made the proposal?

again... simple answer no diatribe please.....

Gloucestershire

Yeah I think we should have a bank holiday for St George, but I'm sure the PC brigade would say its racist and does fit in with modern England, after all it would surely offend the Muslims, what with so many of them being able to say how the crusades directly affected them"

And there we have it, an example of how messed up things have got. When the right wingers are afraid to admit that having st georges days is a good idea.

Personally, I think no one would ever object to a public holiday,

If Paul nutsack said that st georges would become a public holiday, some people here would be rushing to congratulare him and possibly provide their mouths so they can accept his load.

Cannock

Yeah it changed from Miliband's stone tablet to a breeze block when Corbyn took over.

just a "yes" or "no" will do...."

Its a no as long as it remains uncosted and Corbyn and Labour have still not explained how they intend to pay for it.

Cannock

Yeah I think we should have a bank holiday for St George, but I'm sure the PC brigade would say its racist and does fit in with modern England, after all it would surely offend the Muslims, what with so many of them being able to say how the crusades directly affected them

And there we have it, an example of how messed up things have got. When the right wingers are afraid to admit that having st georges days is a good idea.

If Paul nutsack said that st georges would become a public holiday, some people here would be rushing to congratulare him and possibly provide their mouths so they can accept his load."

UKIP already suggested in the past to make St Georges day a bank holiday, (not 4 bank holidays, just St Georges day on its own) the very clear difference is that UKIP explained how they would pay for it. UKIP would take the money from the foreign aid budget to pay for it. Corbyn won't cut foreign aid, so for the umpteenth time, how will Labour pay for these extra 4 bank holidays?

Borrow, borrow and borrow some more

London

If Paul nutsack said that st georges would become a public holiday, some people here would be rushing to congratulare him and possibly provide their mouths so they can accept his load.

UKIP already suggested in the past to make St Georges day a bank holiday, (not 4 bank holidays, just St Georges day on its own) the very clear difference is that UKIP explained how they would pay for it. UKIP would take the money from the foreign aid budget to pay for it. Corbyn won't cut foreign aid, so for the umpteenth time, how will Labour pay for these extra 4 bank holidays?"

They won't need to, they all fall on a Sunday remember

Newcastle and Gateshead

Its a no as long as it remains uncosted and Corbyn and Labour have still not explained how they intend to pay for it. "

okay... so let me follow up that question...

can i share with you something then deputy leader paul nutall said...

UKIP Deputy Leader Paul Nuttall has called for St George's Day to be declared a Bank Holiday.

"It should not only be celebrated but marked as a national holiday. This is not the first time I have called for this but it would be fantastic to think it will be the last and my wish comes true soon.

“I am so committed to the idea that I have written to the other party leaders asking for their support as I think that with such a consensus real progress can be made on bringing the idea to fruition,” said Mr Nuttall, deputy party leader.

he then went on to said this... which is relevant to the "how many bank holiday days" conversation you were squirming over.....

"We have far fewer public holidays in this country than many European countries and I believe it would be appropriate for one to be instituted for St George. I hope as many people as possible will show their support for St George by wearing a traditional red rose today."

so again.... proposed.... not costed....

so i know you are a 'Kipper...... if this became ukip policy would you support it if it was uncosted?

again... simple answer please.....

Cannock

Its a no as long as it remains uncosted and Corbyn and Labour have still not explained how they intend to pay for it.

okay... so let me follow up that question...

can i share with you something then deputy leader paul nutall said...

UKIP Deputy Leader Paul Nuttall has called for St George's Day to be declared a Bank Holiday.

"It should not only be celebrated but marked as a national holiday. This is not the first time I have called for this but it would be fantastic to think it will be the last and my wish comes true soon.

“I am so committed to the idea that I have written to the other party leaders asking for their support as I think that with such a consensus real progress can be made on bringing the idea to fruition,” said Mr Nuttall, deputy party leader.

he then went on to said this... which is relevant to the "how many bank holiday days" conversation you were squirming over.....

"We have far fewer public holidays in this country than many European countries and I believe it would be appropriate for one to be instituted for St George. I hope as many people as possible will show their support for St George by wearing a traditional red rose today."

so again.... proposed.... not costed....

so i know you are a 'Kipper...... if this became ukip policy would you support it if it was uncosted?

again... simple answer please.....

"

too slow Fabio, i already posted before you posted this with regard to UKIP's position on St Georges day. This was suggested years ago by UKIP when Nigel Farage was leader, and i remember Farage saying in an interview when asked how would it be costed Farage said the money would come from the foreign aid budget. UKIP have been consistent over the years about cutting foreign aid. Now can you explain how it will be costed by the Labour party?

I don't think that even the offer of free money, sex and/or beer would help Labour win with that wet fish Corbyn fronting them. An extra Bank Holiday would be great, but it just isn't going to happen this way.

Derby

4 extra bank holidays?

Wouldn't that reduce the country's productivity and increase inflation?

By *isandreTV/TS  over a year ago

Hartlepool

Nope

Gloucestershire

Certain people would have you believe that money is at the centre of everyones life.

Money is not everything, its not the be all and end all, life though is a precious. Time spent with family, friends ,playmates enjoying the time we have that is important.

If we lose a little money, lets not seek ways of funding the loss, come to peace with it.

I would rather be money poor, and time rich, because I value as many of you here do the short time we have on this planet, and enjoy the wonderful interactions with people.

If we worried less, maybe this pent up aggression expressed by many people can subside, and we can become a kinder and fairer society.

Okay lets put this into perspective, we are writing in a forum on a site which promotes sexual freedom, doesnt it strike many of you that liberal ideals are a core principal here already?

So by its very purpose, hate really has no place here, mutual love and respect do. I admit that I am not perfect, and I can agree many us are not here also, but let us get along in the bonds of mutual understanding and lets just relax!

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

Man, Aber, next you are going to have us all sat in a circle having a sing-a-long. Lol. But well said, people need to look at the wider view of life sometimes. And yes, I do wonder sometimes how some people with very intolerant views get on in this lifestyle.

*goes and stares at pics of Mrs Abers lovely arse for a bit*

-Matt

Stoke

"Certain people would have you believe that money is at the centre of everyones life.

Money is not everything, its not the be all and end all, life though is a precious. Time spent with family, friends ,playmates enjoying the time we have that is important.

If we lose a little money, lets not seek ways of funding the loss, come to peace with it.

I would rather be money poor, and time rich, because I value as many of you here do the short time we have on this planet, and enjoy the wonderful interactions with people.

If we worried less, maybe this pent up aggression expressed by many people can subside, and we can become a kinder and fairer society.

Okay lets put this into perspective, we are writing in a forum on a site which promotes sexual freedom, doesnt it strike many of you that liberal ideals are a core principal here already?

So by its very purpose, hate really has no place here, mutual love and respect do. I admit that I am not perfect, and I can agree many us are not here also, but let us get along in the bonds of mutual understanding and lets just relax!

"

Peace and love man

Let's drink some wine and eat some cheese...

Derby

"Nope"

Why not?

Derby

Productivity I can understand, as gap/Labour hours.

But why no inflationary pressure?

If 1 person "makes' 1 item a day, and works for 232 days a year (has 20 days holiday and 8 bank hols) , and costs the business £23,200, then each item will cost the businless £100 in Labour.

If that person has another 4 bank holidays , they will only make 228 items, but the annual labour cost will be the same. So the 'per item' Labour cost then works out at £101.75, an increase of 1.75%.

To produce the same number of 'items', the company would have to make up the shortfall by either employing extra staff (unlikely), or bringing staff in on overtime. Some overtime rates for working bank holidays are double time and TOIL, some triple time; so this would increase the 'per item' cost still further- and hence inflationary pressure.

It doesn't matter whether the company is physically manufacturing or supplying a service, there will still be that inflationary pressure there, because an employer will be paying someone to be on holiday, I.e. non-productive.

Cannock

"Certain people would have you believe that money is at the centre of everyones life.

"

Isn't it the so called tolerant Remainers on here who are always banging on about money and the economy?

"Productivity I can understand, as gap/Labour hours.

If 1 person "makes' 1 item a day, and works for 232 days a year (has 20 days holiday and 8 bank hols) , and costs the business £23,200, then each item will cost the businless £100 in Labour.

If that person has another 4 bank holidays , they will only make 228 items, but the annual labour cost will be the same. So the 'per item' Labour cost then works out at £101.75, an increase of 1.75%.

To produce the same number of 'items', the company would have to make up the shortfall by either employing extra staff (unlikely), or bringing staff in on overtime. Some overtime rates for working bank holidays are double time and TOIL, some triple time; so this would increase the 'per item' cost still further- and hence inflationary pressure.

It doesn't matter whether the company is physically manufacturing or supplying a service, there will still be that inflationary pressure there, because an employer will be paying someone to be on holiday, I.e. non-productive."

The employer doesnt pay anyone, never has done.

The consumer pays.

Innovation in business is meant to be what gives us leisure time, however it doesnt do this for the love of it, it does this because it is forced to do it?.

If you want business to give people spare money, leisure time and holidays (which is the goal surely) then you have to force them to do it, now its how you force it to do that is the question

It doesn't matter whether the company is physically manufacturing or supplying a service, there will still be that inflationary pressure there, because an employer will be paying someone to be on holiday, I.e. non-productive..

The consumer pays.

Innovation in business is meant to be what gives us leisure time, however it doesnt do this for the love of it, it does this because it is forced to do it?.

If you want business to give people spare money, leisure time and holidays (which is the goal surely) then you have to force them to do it, now its how you force it to do that is the question"

And then you have some who will not get paid and have no way of making it up because they provide a service which normally is not required on bank holidays self employed does have it downside sometimes

Derby

It doesn't matter whether the company is physically manufacturing or supplying a service, there will still be that inflationary pressure there, because an employer will be paying someone to be on holiday, I.e. non-productive..

The consumer pays.

If you want business to give people spare money, leisure time and holidays (which is the goal surely) then you have to force them to do it, now its how you force it to do that is the question"

and therefore, if there's more bank holidays, the consumer will pay more.

Thank you.

By *UNKIEMan  over a year ago

south east

Its a gimick pure and simple ...like the uk economy and businesses really need more holidays

Derby

It will apparently cost the economy £9 Billion per annum.

The consumer pays.

If you want business to give people spare money, leisure time and holidays (which is the goal surely) then you have to force them to do it, now its how you force it to do that is the question

Thank you."

No not really, your applying a simplistic logic to a complicated action.

For instance.

30 years ago a long distance call to say Australia would have cost about £3 a minute when labour was £3 an hour.

Now its 10p a minute and labour is £8 an hour.

Using your logic that phone call should cost £25 a minute.

It doesn't because business innovated, the question is what drove the telecoms industry to innovate?.

Profit, less profit drives innovation more than more profit, of course there has to be balance but vast profits dont necessarily drive vast innovation

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

Europe average is 11

G20 average is 13

even if you were to just create another 3.... if you were to still bank holidays at even spaces in those 3... lets say mid feb, mid july, and late october,.... that would be much better!!!!"

I work in the care sector ... and unfortunately people who need support are not able to look after theirselves ... whether it be a bank holiday or not ... so having more bankholidays does not benefit any one who works in care ....

Derby

The consumer pays.

Thank you..

For instance.

30 years ago a long distance call to say Australia would have cost about £3 a minute when labour was £3 an hour.

It doesn't because business innovated, the question is what drove the telecoms industry to innovate?.

Profit, less profit drives innovation more than more profit, of course there has to be balance but vast profits dont necessarily drive vast innovation"

In which case why not have 200 days holiday every year, work for 60 days, earn twice as much as we do now, companies make shit loads of profits, and the exchequer collect so much tax that nobody has to worry about anything ever again.

I can see you've not much experience of running a business.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

That sounds like a plan to me lol

The consumer pays.

Thank you..

For instance.

Profit, less profit drives innovation more than more profit, of course there has to be balance but vast profits dont necessarily drive vast innovation

In which case why not have 200 days holiday every year, work for 60 days, earn twice as much as we do now, companies make shit loads of profits, and the exchequer collect so much tax that nobody has to worry about anything ever again.

I can see you've not much experience of running a business."

Your jumping from 3 or 4 days extra to 200?.

Its like arguing to go back to Victorian working hours!! What would be the point?

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

Europe average is 11

G20 average is 13

Uk may have fewer bank holidays, but employers are obliged to give a certain number of paid days holiday per year, which includes bank holidays.

So, for example in the G20, USA employers aren't obliged to give any paid leave as far as I know (you will...)

But, critically, how does Corbyn know this is affordable? He is simple forcing employers to close 4 more days per year, yet still make the business pay its staff. Does he know if his local shop or local plumber can do that? Can his local shop also afford his proposed increase of minimum wage to £10/hr ??

I would suggest he doesn't know / care or have any experience to know the effect it will have on people who work for a living.

Europe average is 11

G20 average is 13

even if you were to just create another 3.... if you were to still bank holidays at even spaces in those 3... lets say mid feb, mid july, and late october,.... that would be much better!!!!

Uk may have fewer bank holidays, but employers are obliged to give a certain number of paid days holiday per year, which includes bank holidays.

So, for example in the G20, USA employers aren't obliged to give any paid leave as far as I know (you will...)

But, critically, how does Corbyn know this is affordable? He is simple forcing employers to close 4 more days per year, yet still make the business pay its staff. Does he know if his local shop or local plumber can do that? Can his local shop also afford his proposed increase of minimum wage to £10/hr ??

I would suggest he doesn't know / care or have any experience to know the effect it will have on people who work for a living."

Who cares!.

Some will afford it, some wont, the ones that cant will go bust and the ones that can will carry on.

Were arguing about 3 days a year causing a disaster and yet just around the corner lies a 40% reduction in labour caused by automation.

Hell if we cant do 3 days i suggest we'll be utterly screwed in 10 years when automation comes through

Sheffield

"

I would suggest he doesn't know / care or have any experience to know the effect it will have on people who work for a living..

Who cares!.

Some will afford it, some wont, the ones that cant will go bust and the ones that can will carry on.

Were arguing about 3 days a year causing a disaster and yet just around the corner lies a 40% reduction in labour caused by automation.

Hell if we cant do 3 days i suggest we'll be utterly screwed in 10 years when automation comes through"

So because you think automation is going to create 40% unemployment, anything goes in the meantime???

Derby

The consumer pays.

Thank you..

For instance.

I can see you've not much experience of running a business..

Your jumping from 3 or 4 days extra to 200?.

Its like arguing to go back to Victorian working hours!! What would be the point?"

Read the whole thread.

"

I would suggest he doesn't know / care or have any experience to know the effect it will have on people who work for a living..

Who cares!.

Hell if we cant do 3 days i suggest we'll be utterly screwed in 10 years when automation comes through

So because you think automation is going to create 40% unemployment, anything goes in the meantime???"

No i think were not rising to future challenges.

Look since 1980 weve had hundreds of percentage increase in productivity, hundreds, yet wages are flat when you take in Inflation, hours are practically the same and holidays havent really changed?.

Weve not shared in that massive rise in productivity and its about time we did!.

Every time somebody mentions giving something to the workers its never affordable and various Doomsday stories are constantly whined about.

But we can always afford massive huge tax breaks to multi nationals, wars all over the world, nuclear weapons weve never used, Christ every week they dream up a new scam for tax avoidance for the wealthy and corporations and low and behold... Weve not gone bust

Grantham

"It will apparently cost the economy £9 Billion per annum."

I've seen research tonight that says each Bank Holiday costs £2.3 billion, so your figure is more or less consistent with that.

The benefits are not quantified though.

2.3 billon, wow!

Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of billions spent bailing out wealthy people and banks but 4 more days holiday which will most likely be spent spending anyhow will cripple the UK and we'll all end up doomed i tell yer.

Its like this constant media narrative of government over spend and why we need austerity and cutting back.. But nobody ever writes a fucking story about the constant QE of tens of billions where the government "buys back" absolute shit debt of already wealthy fuckers!.

What the hell is going on where we can constantly bail out the wealthy and cut taxs to the richest but cant do shit for all the rest of us

Sheffield

The govt doesn't pay for bank holidays so all the talk about having money for tax cuts for multimationals and wars etc isnt relevant.

If you ran a small business where everybody was working flat out to stay competitive and in business and were told you had to close for an additional 4 days per year, but still pay al the staff full hours, you might think differently.

Stoke

The consumer pays.

Thank you..

For instance.

I can see you've not much experience of running a business."

Argh if it was so so easy being self employed, they would all be at it

Cannock

"2.3 billon, wow!

Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of billions spent bailing out wealthy people and banks but 4 more days holiday which will most likely be spent spending anyhow will cripple the UK and we'll all end up doomed i tell yer.

Its like this constant media narrative of government over spend and why we need austerity and cutting back.. But nobody ever writes a fucking story about the constant QE of tens of billions where the government "buys back" absolute shit debt of already wealthy fuckers!.

What the hell is going on where we can constantly bail out the wealthy and cut taxs to the richest but cant do shit for all the rest of us"

That's 2.3 billion x4. It's going to cost 2.3 for each bank holiday, Corbyn is proposing 4 so that's around 9 billion overall.

Derby

I'll have to ignore everything I've learnt, both through study and experience.

I've now been put right... An increase in labour cost of about 2% won't increase the cost of goods or services, it will actually make companies more competitive and profitable.

Stoke

"I'll have to ignore everything I've learnt, both through study and experience.

I've now been put right... An increase in labour cost of about 2% won't increase the cost of goods or services, it will actually make companies more competitive and profitable."

The maths of the labour supporting community

That's why it's so easy to constantly pay out more and more in benefits lol

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

I've now been put right... An increase in labour cost of about 2% won't increase the cost of goods or services, it will actually make companies more competitive and profitable."

No, no, no. You've got it wrong. Sticking red tape and import duties on goods with your largest trading neighbour makes things more competitive and profitable!

-Matt

Gloucestershire

When we make loss of income our biggest concern, we become a slave to failure, it traps us to make negative decisions. Which are to the detriment of those around us.

Consider this, if there is nothing but doom and gloom in your general outlook, wouldnt it make you see everything in a negative light. Then your entire outlook on life would be such that you cannot see the proverbial "wood from the trees"

If you cannot find at least 3 positive aspects to any situation you should really start wondering if your outlook on life is clouding your judgement.

Ooh I'd love to hear 3 positive aspects to Brexit from remainers

Grantham

I was pissing myself with laughter as people I was dealing with (and trusted), took me for £35k by going bust, rather than paying me.

I was still happy as a sandboy days later, as I paid employees and suppliers out of my personal savings, leaving me with virtually next to nothing.

Positivity is great...If everyone does it!

Ok let me put it another way.

Lets say we remove all bank holidays and as ive been told they cost 2.3 billon each.

Theres 8 of them , we'd expect a 17 billon gain?.

Are we all now of the opinion that bank holiday boxing day will still be a big rush on sales?, all the shops will be rammed with working people in their lunch hour buying shit?.

4 Bank holidays is just an election gimmick. What would be better is 4 extra days added to holiday entitlement so that workers can take them when they want and businesses won"t have to shut down

Grantham

I've now been put right... An increase in labour cost of about 2% won't increase the cost of goods or services, it will actually make companies more competitive and profitable..

Lets say we remove all bank holidays and as ive been told they cost 2.3 billon each.

Are we all now of the opinion that bank holiday boxing day will still be a big rush on sales?, all the shops will be rammed with working people in their lunch hour buying shit?.

"

Everything has a cost and everything has a value.

Last Bank Holiday introduced was in 1978. Yes, it is time for another to be introduced, preferably in the summer. Introduce one and let the economy absorb the costs gradually. Not plan to introduce four at once, close together and with no idea of costing them.

Gloucestershire

"I was pissing myself with laughter as people I was dealing with (and trusted), took me for £35k by going bust, rather than paying me.

I was still happy as a sandboy days later, as I paid employees and suppliers out of my personal savings, leaving me with virtually next to nothing.

Positivity is great...If everyone does it!"

Yes, as the song goes "always look on the bright side of life"

Be positive, and those around you will benefit also from the warm and friendly outlook on life!, and makes them happy too.

Derby

"

Look since 1980 weve had hundreds of percentage increase in productivity, hundreds, yet wages are flat when you take in Inflation.

"

In 1980 the average wage was£6,000. Using the Bank of England's inflation calculator, this would now be £23,600. The average wage is now £27,600. So has, actually, outstripped inflation.

I've now been put right... An increase in labour cost of about 2% won't increase the cost of goods or services, it will actually make companies more competitive and profitable..

Last Bank Holiday introduced was in 1978. Yes, it is time for another to be introduced, preferably in the summer. Introduce one and let the economy absorb the costs gradually. Not plan to introduce four at once, close together and with no idea of costing them."

That was my point all along.

I was disagreeing with this narrative that every time we do something for the average worker it will lead to Doom, its just nonsense. Like i said if it's really costing 2.8 billon per bank holiday then cancel that bank holiday boxing day and lets save 2.8 billion right?

"

Look since 1980 weve had hundreds of percentage increase in productivity, hundreds, yet wages are flat when you take in Inflation.

In 1980 the average wage was£6,000. Using the Bank of England's inflation calculator, this would now be £23,600. The average wage is now £27,600. So has, actually, outstripped inflation."

The average house price was 20k so according to figures the average house price today should be what 3.2 times greater than 27,600..90k? There nearer 280k

Derby

"

In 1980 the average wage was£6,000. Using the Bank of England's inflation calculator, this would now be £23,600. The average wage is now £27,600. So has, actually, outstripped inflation..

The average house price was 20k so according to figures the average house price today should be what 3.2 times greater than 27,600..90k? There nearer 280k"

You were talking about wages, and now you've been proven wrong you want to talk about something else!

So lets measure it by the cost of a phone call to Oz you previously quoted... Now 3% of what it was 30 years ago.

So what, exactly, is your point?

Btw. ....if you advocate that giving 4 extra bank holidays will actually improve productivity, costs, and lead to higher wages, and cite BT as an example, you are aware that in the last 20 years or so they've stripped out 60% of their labour force, aren't you?

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

"4 Bank holidays is just an election gimmick. What would be better is 4 extra days added to holiday entitlement so that workers can take them when they want and businesses won"t have to shut down"

Exactly this .....add it on to my annual leave .....

Cannock

"Ooh I'd love to hear 3 positive aspects to Brexit from remainers "

You beat me to it. I've never heard such a negative and pessimistic bunch of whingers than the Remainers.

Cannock

Last Bank Holiday introduced was in 1978. Yes, it is time for another to be introduced, preferably in the summer. Introduce one and let the economy absorb the costs gradually. Not plan to introduce four at once, close together and with no idea of costing them."

This is the clear difference between what ukip proposed years ago (introduce 1 new bank holiday being St Georges day) which they would cost by taking money from the foreign aid budget, and now Labour wanting to introduce 4 at once with no clue how they intend to cost it.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

The cost is only incurred if they also increase the total holiday entitlement. Bank holidays come out of your holiday entitlement. There can be a shutdown cost for some businesses but there is also an increase in retail, travel and tourism businesses which would probably balance that out.

The cost argument doesn't really hold good.

The real problem with this idea is that, like current bank holidays, it forces people to take their holiday entitlement at a time when it does not really suit them. Also do we really need 3 more bank holidays in spring? If we do get these extra holidays can we move the two in May to some other time of year while we're at it?

Widnes

I propose an idiot tax on everyone who voted for Brexit."

Can we also have a double idiot tax on anyone who opposes BREXIT but votes Labour?

Widnes

Seriously! Did you really mean that. Sometimes you make me think but today you're just making me laugh.

"

In 1980 the average wage was£6,000. Using the Bank of England's inflation calculator, this would now be £23,600. The average wage is now £27,600. So has, actually, outstripped inflation..

The average house price was 20k so according to figures the average house price today should be what 3.2 times greater than 27,600..90k? There nearer 280k

You were talking about wages, and now you've been proven wrong you want to talk about something else!

So lets measure it by the cost of a phone call to Oz you previously quoted... Now 3% of what it was 30 years ago.

Btw. ....if you advocate that giving 4 extra bank holidays will actually improve productivity, costs, and lead to higher wages, and cite BT as an example, you are aware that in the last 20 years or so they've stripped out 60% of their labour force, aren't you? "

No i was trying to point you to looking at the overall picture regarding labour increases.

All the data shows that labour has pretty much flat lightened for nearly 40 years while productivity has sky rocketed.

Its no point looking at wage increases without looking at basic necessities you'd buy with those wages.

My other point was productivity is not driven by decreasing labour costs which is why productivity has nose dived for the last ten years.

Lets be clear,i think the ultimate goal is to be as productive as possible, i think raising labour costs helps this not hinders it.

Widnes

Like Christmas and New Year, if they fall on a weekend you get the next working day off instead.

Still think it's a bad idea though.

Derby

"

Btw. ....if you advocate that giving 4 extra bank holidays will actually improve productivity, costs, and lead to higher wages, and cite BT as an example, you are aware that in the last 20 years or so they've stripped out 60% of their labour force, aren't you? .

No i was trying to point you to looking at the overall picture regarding labour increases.

All the data shows that labour has pretty much flat lightened for nearly 40 years while productivity has sky rocketed.

Its no point looking at wage increases without looking at basic necessities you'd buy with those wages.

My other point was productivity is not driven by decreasing labour costs which is why productivity has nose dived for the last ten years.

Lets be clear,i think the ultimate goal is to be as productive as possible, i think raising labour costs helps this not hinders it.

"

So let's look at the overall picture then shall we?

Wages have not 'pretty much flatlined', they are actually about 15% higher than if they had.

There was no minimum wage 40 years ago. When I started work in 1982 a factory worker was earning about £1.70 per hour, the equivalent to £5.50 now. The NMW is £7.20 per hour; considerably more than the rate of inflation, and is due to rise by more than the rate of inflation over the next few years.

Mortgage costs. .....in 1989 I had a £60,000 mortgage, 5 * my salary- it was costing me £653 per month.

Now, you can get a £180,000 mortgage, at a cost of £677 per month. You can even get a ten year fix that would cost £825 per month.

The NMW has been in existence since 1999. It was £3.60, or the equivalent of about £5.73 now. It is actually 40% higher than that. And yet productivity 'has nosedived' in that time, although you say higher wages leads to increased productivity.

I agree that in some Labour intensive industries an increase in wages, and therefore labour costs, will drive a company to improve its productivity. But this will be done by cutting labour, usually the lower paid staff.

One of the reasons that productivity has not improved over the last decade is that most companies have trimmed their labour force to near skeleton levels. Very few businesses now are able to deal easily with unplanned absence, without getting staff to work overtime, come in on their days off, or get in an agency worker- which reduces both productivity and profit.

Increasing profit is the main driver to improving productivity. Show me a company that has increased wages as a means of improving productivity (I can just imagine the board meeting now - "if we give everybody a 2% pay rise they'll be 5% more productive"). If it was that easy we'd all be earning fortunes.

Widnes

Except that St. George isn't English, probably wasn't white and most of his descendants are probably Muslims.

St George was a Greco-Roman who was born in Palestine, at the end of the 3rd century, and died in Turkey, at the beginning of the 4th.

He is also the patron saint of many countries and places including:-

Parts of Germany,

Catalonia,

Ethiopia,

Georgia (formerly in Russia)

Lebanon,

Egypt,

Portugal

to name a few.

But why go for a dammed foreigner as our patron saint when there's 3 other fully English contenders.

St Edmund - fully English and was the patron saint of England until the French Plantagenets forced George on us (he also had the advantage of having a red cross as his emblem so no need to change the flag) on the down side his day is 20 November.

St Thomas A Becket - Fully English, if you don't know his story then I'm guessing you where hopeless in History at School. His day is 29 December.

St Thomas More - Fully English and already officially recognised as a Patron Saint of England by the Roman Catholic Church. On the down side the Church of England doesn't recognise him as a saint. On the plus side hid day is 20 June so at least there would be a chance of decent weather.

Maybe, to compromise, we should have all four days as bank holidays. That way we could force even more people to take even more days off from their holiday entitlements on days when they don't really want them.

Widnes

Yeah I think we should have a bank holiday for St George,

I cut out the rest of the diatribe because it is irrelivant to the question.....

so let me follow up.....

so what part of the proposal is it that you hate... or just the fact that it was corbyn who made the proposal?

again... simple answer no diatribe please....."

I personally don't like the idea of having more forced holidays taken out of people's holiday entitlement. And even if they increase the legal entitlement by four days (which isn't currently proposed as I understand it) I'd still rather let people take those four days when they want, not when Jeremy or anybody else wants.

Widnes

If Paul nutsack said that st georges would become a public holiday, some people here would be rushing to congratulare him and possibly provide their mouths so they can accept his load."

You're probably right but I'd still think it was a bad idea regardless who's it was.

Widnes

"It will apparently cost the economy £9 Billion per annum."

That figure does not take into consideration the boost to travel, leisure, tourism and retail that bank holidays produce.

I'm not convinced by the cost argument, especially if overall holiday entitlement is not also increased by four days to. I just think it's a bad idea to force people to take even more holidays on days when they might not want to out of their limited holiday entitlements.

"

Btw. ....if you advocate that giving 4 extra bank holidays will actually improve productivity, costs, and lead to higher wages, and cite BT as an example, you are aware that in the last 20 years or so they've stripped out 60% of their labour force, aren't you? .

Wages have not 'pretty much flatlined', they are actually about 15% higher than if they had.

There was no minimum wage 40 years ago. When I started work in 1982 a factory worker was earning about £1.70 per hour, the equivalent to £5.50 now. The NMW is £7.20 per hour; considerably more than the rate of inflation, and is due to rise by more than the rate of inflation over the next few years.

Mortgage costs. .....in 1989 I had a £60,000 mortgage, 5 * my salary- it was costing me £653 per month.

Now, you can get a £180,000 mortgage, at a cost of £677 per month. You can even get a ten year fix that would cost £825 per month.

The NMW has been in existence since 1999. It was £3.60, or the equivalent of about £5.73 now. It is actually 40% higher than that. And yet productivity 'has nosedived' in that time, although you say higher wages leads to increased productivity.

I agree that in some Labour intensive industries an increase in wages, and therefore labour costs, will drive a company to improve its productivity. But this will be done by cutting labour, usually the lower paid staff.

One of the reasons that productivity has not improved over the last decade is that most companies have trimmed their labour force to near skeleton levels. Very few businesses now are able to deal easily with unplanned absence, without getting staff to work overtime, come in on their days off, or get in an agency worker- which reduces both productivity and profit.

Increasing profit is the main driver to improving productivity. Show me a company that has increased wages as a means of improving productivity (I can just imagine the board meeting now - "if we give everybody a 2% pay rise they'll be 5% more productive"). If it was that easy we'd all be earning fortunes.

"

This is from a bank of England speech not long ago.

Finally on wages, real wages have yet to return to their pre-crisis peak. Rather, they are still 6% below that level. Since the crisis, we have seen one of the largest and longest squeezes on wages since at least 1850 (Table 1).

Indeed, since the crisis real wages have fallen faster even than UK productivity, which itself has been extra-ordinarily weak having flat-lined for the past six years. Put differently, labour’s share of the national income pie has fallen since 2009, from around 58% to 53% (Chart 7).

This is from pew research showing you how your wage relates to purchasing power.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/10/09/for-most-workers-real-wages-have-barely-budged-for-decades/.

And finally here is a graph of the last fifty years of wage growth from the ons.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jan/31/real-wages-falling-longest-period-ons-record

Widnes

"4 Bank holidays is just an election gimmick. What would be better is 4 extra days added to holiday entitlement so that workers can take them when they want and businesses won"t have to shut down"

I don't believe it. I actually agree with you for once.

Derby

"

Finally on wages, real wages have yet to return to their pre-crisis peak. Rather, they are still 6% below that level. Since the crisis, we have seen one of the largest and longest squeezes on wages since at least 1850 (Table 1).

Indeed, since the crisis real wages have fallen faster even than UK productivity, which itself has been extra-ordinarily weak having flat-lined for the past six years. Put differently, labour’s share of the national income pie has fallen since 2009, from around 58% to 53% (Chart 7).

This is from pew research showing you how your wage relates to purchasing power.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/10/09/for-most-workers-real-wages-have-barely-budged-for-decades/.

And finally here is a graph of the last fifty years of wage growth from the ons.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jan/31/real-wages-falling-longest-period-ons-record"

And yet wages have still grown faster than inflation over the last 30 years....

So you've gone from 30 years, to 40 years, to 50 years to try and prove your point?

And then back to the last 6 years to prove that wages haven't outstripped inflation?

The average wage in 1966 was £850 p.a. If that had grown at the rate of inflation over that period, the average wage would now be £14,500 p.a.

In fact it's nearly double that.

"

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jan/31/real-wages-falling-longest-period-ons-record

And yet wages have still grown faster than inflation over the last 30 years....

So you've gone from 30 years, to 40 years, to 50 years to try and prove your point?

And then back to the last 6 years to prove that wages haven't outstripped inflation?

The average wage in 1966 was £850 p.a. If that had grown at the rate of inflation over that period, the average wage would now be £14,500 p.a.

In fact it's nearly double that.

"

Either I'm confusing you or your confusing yourself.

What i said was labour hasnt had its share of the growth.

If you look back historically? since ww2 for a long time up until about 1980 wages took a good share of the growth (at the same time that wages were high relatively, productivity was also good and so was growth).

But wages started to peel away from growth in the 80s, the unions had their balls cut off and regulations were slashed (productivity started slowing yet growth kept going).

In the last 10 years wages have been hammered (as would be expected with an unlimited labour supply) productivity has nose dived (why bother getting more productive when you can just drive down wages) and any growth has gone to the people at the very top.

Now as weve just seen cash never out competes Inflation so now were in a massive fucking asset bubble where the wealthy are buying everything because they know Whats round the corner (you cant put the trillions they have done into the system without hyper inflation appearing somewhere down the line).

Now if we want a market for people to buy stuff were going to have to give them more disposable income which means labour must start once again to get a greater share in the profits, unless you think an unproductive UK with high wages will be a roaring success at making things so cheap we'll be able to sell the shit to countries with a labour cost of a fifth of ours?..I dunno, or maybe we could slash our labour costs drastically and devalue the pound, of course that might make those trillions of pounds of assets in the bank called mortgages a tad unpayable by the average slob meaning your going to crash those banks weve only just bankrupting ourselves bailing out?

Personally i dont see that working that well? But like you said, im no expert in business

Gloucestershire

Three things positive out of brexit?

1. Changes to the political landscape.

2. Making people more interested in the political process

3. Increasing faith in politics that peoples votes actually count

» Add a new message to this topic