FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > So we're living in Austerity?

So we're living in Austerity?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ongtalljon OP   Man  over a year ago

North Wales

I work 45 hours per week, drive a safe, reliable car, drink beer every night, use a washing machine, fridge, freezer, dryer, microwave. I have a warm centrally heated house with hot water on demand. I eat takeaways regularly. I earn £8 per hour as a bus driver, pay taxes and receive no benefits. I have broadband, a landline and a mobile on an unlimited contract.

I privately rent a smart 3 bed house. I update my mobile phone every 12 to 18 month, my car is insured fully comp with breakdown cover. I have 2 laptops, a couple of tablets and more desktop computers than rooms in my house.

My neighbours are a family of 4. They run 4 cars and the teenagers go to University. The students go on a ski trip, 3 music _estival trips and an Amsterdam weekend every year during which they consume substantial alcohol and drugs.

Yet we are apparently living in times of austerity?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You've never had it so good as Harold Macmillan once said.

By *VBethTV/TS  over a year ago

Warminster

Some people can no longer afford Sky Movies AND Sports apparently!

Also they had to actually resort to buying ingredients for meals instead of having takeaway every night. Oh the horror!

Some people are down to only 15 taxpayer provided fags per day and haven't had an E in over a week.... the poor darlings.

The laptop is over 18 months old and the mobile only has a 20 gig data allowance. Only 4 iPads between the 8 kids and they're stuck with only a 46" TV.

/sarcasm

I know some people are genuinely suffering but many genuinely aren't, not really. Telling the difference is quite tough without very close surveillance and we can't afford that.

Well as long as you and your neighbour are OK that's the important thing.

It doesn't really matter that every city has huge queues at foodbanks every week for working families who can't afford to feed their children.

It doesn't matter that more and more people are having to sleep rough and we have more people on the streets due to the cuts.

It doesn't matter that social care and the NHS are on their knees due to chronic underfunding from this government.

It doesn't matter that the Tories are pushing a cut of £3bn on our schools whilst giving £4bn to big business in Corporation Tax cuts.

It doesn't matter that benefits cuts to the disabled is forcing clearly disabled people to work and has led directly to many deaths.

It doesn't matter that we have had wage stagnation in this country for 8 years whilst the rich have doubled their wealth!

We are the 6th richest nation on earth. Austerity is a political choice and not a necessity.

But as long as you have a nice new car and new phone I'm happy.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I work 45 hours per week, drive a safe, reliable car, drink beer every night, use a washing machine, fridge, freezer, dryer, microwave. I have a warm centrally heated house with hot water on demand. I eat takeaways regularly. I earn £8 per hour as a bus driver, pay taxes and receive no benefits. I have broadband, a landline and a mobile on an unlimited contract.

I privately rent a smart 3 bed house. I update my mobile phone every 12 to 18 month, my car is insured fully comp with breakdown cover. I have 2 laptops, a couple of tablets and more desktop computers than rooms in my house.

My neighbours are a family of 4. They run 4 cars and the teenagers go to University. The students go on a ski trip, 3 music _estival trips and an Amsterdam weekend every year during which they consume substantial alcohol and drugs.

"

go and do some volunteering at one of your local food banks maybe, should give you some perspective on how some are living..

how long will the comfortable lifestyle last if you lose your job or your landlord wants to up the rent so has you out or makes it not affordable for you..?

the system has changed and the safety net as it used to be is drastically different for many people now than it used to be and its not going to get any 'better' with the cuts coming under this present Government..

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"I work 45 hours per week, drive a safe, reliable car, drink beer every night, use a washing machine, fridge, freezer, dryer, microwave. I have a warm centrally heated house with hot water on demand. I eat takeaways regularly. I earn £8 per hour as a bus driver, pay taxes and receive no benefits. I have broadband, a landline and a mobile on an unlimited contract.

"

Isn't that kind of the point though? You are doing fine because the government isn't raising enough taxes to cover all of the expenditure needed, and so is having to cut back the services provided by the state, be they Royal Marines or Social Care.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

Maybe we should put some of our foreign aid budget toward helping our own population?

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"Maybe we should put some of our foreign aid budget toward helping our own population?"

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

"Maybe we should put some of our foreign aid budget toward helping our own population?"

That's not what foreign aid is for. As much as I'd like it to be altruistic aid for developing countries, it is a way to buy British companies into negotiations to operate/sell there.

Cambridge

Why? 99.3% of the budget is spent on our people. We are the 6th biggest economy in the world, are you really trying to say that we are too poor to help other countries?

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

I'm quite proud of our record of helping other countries. It puts a lot of other countries to shame.

But with a fast evolving world, it must both do good and be targeted properly.

Well we spend around 4 to 5 times the shortfall of funding requirements for social care on foreign aid.

Cambridge

"Well we spend around 4 to 5 times the shortfall of funding requirements for social care on foreign aid."

We spend £12-13bn on foreign aid, we just found £70bn for monetary policy measures to prop up the economy post brexit. David Davis's adviser thinks that Brexit will cost £26bn a year, but that it's worth the cost.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

Opinion polls have consistently showed a majority of the uk public back cutting the foreign aid budget. By putting this foolish 0.7% figure on it, it has become bloated in recent years and we now spend far too much on foreign aid than we should. I don't want my tax money funding silly things like an Ethiopian version of the Spice Girls when it would be much better spent here in the UK on the NHS or the homeless.

Yes and we still have a massive short fall if you haven't noticed

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

"Maybe we should put some of our foreign aid budget toward helping our own population?

Opinion polls have consistently showed a majority of the uk public back cutting the foreign aid budget. By putting this foolish 0.7% figure on it, it has become bloated in recent years and we now spend far too much on foreign aid than we should. I don't want my tax money funding silly things like an Ethiopian version of the Spice Girls when it would be much better spent here in the UK on the NHS or the homeless. "

Yes, heaven forbid you'd try to empower women in a country with widespread gender based violence and female genital mutilation.

By *oorland2Couple  over a year ago

Stoke

"Well we spend around 4 to 5 times the shortfall of funding requirements for social care on foreign aid.

We spend £12-13bn on foreign aid, we just found £70bn for monetary policy measures to prop up the economy post brexit. David Davis's adviser thinks that Brexit will cost £26bn a year, but that it's worth the cost."

If we have a spare £13bn I would much sooner spend it on helping the mentally ill, the homeless and ex forces with PTSD, rather than some shitty country who doesn't give a fuck about us.

We can prioritise aid based on distasters rather than blindly chucking a few billion here and there, to some dictatorial country

Stoke

That's an amazing idea....why don't we look after our own needy.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"

Very true

Stoke

"Maybe we should put some of our foreign aid budget toward helping our own population?

Why? 99.3% of the budget is spent on our people. We are the 6th biggest economy in the world, are you really trying to say that we are too poor to help other countries? "

That leaves 0.7% to spend helping our mentally ill and ex forces personnel who are homeless and suffering with PTSD

Stoke

"Some people can no longer afford Sky Movies AND Sports apparently!

Also they had to actually resort to buying ingredients for meals instead of having takeaway every night. Oh the horror!

Some people are down to only 15 taxpayer provided fags per day and haven't had an E in over a week.... the poor darlings.

The laptop is over 18 months old and the mobile only has a 20 gig data allowance. Only 4 iPads between the 8 kids and they're stuck with only a 46" TV.

/sarcasm

I know some people are genuinely suffering but many genuinely aren't, not really. Telling the difference is quite tough without very close surveillance and we can't afford that.

"

Cambridge

"Well we spend around 4 to 5 times the shortfall of funding requirements for social care on foreign aid.

We spend £12-13bn on foreign aid, we just found £70bn for monetary policy measures to prop up the economy post brexit. David Davis's adviser thinks that Brexit will cost £26bn a year, but that it's worth the cost.

If we have a spare £13bn I would much sooner spend it on helping the mentally ill, the homeless and ex forces with PTSD, rather than some shitty country who doesn't give a fuck about us.

We can prioritise aid based on distasters rather than blindly chucking a few billion here and there, to some dictatorial country "

If we stay in the EU we will have an extra £26bn to spend on mental health, homelessness (although you have previously labelled people on benefits (which most homeless are) scum) and veterans.

Stoke

We can prioritise aid based on distasters rather than blindly chucking a few billion here and there, to some dictatorial country

If we stay in the EU we will have an extra £26bn to spend on mental health, homelessness (although you have previously labelled people on benefits (which most homeless are) scum) and veterans. "

It's difficult to obtain benefits when you are homeless and living on the streets

And you have forgotten to quote many of my posts which have mentioned the work and time I spent helping or assisting the homeless

Go on tell me the last time you spent time raising funds to help the homeless Or a Christmas cooking and throwing a party for the homeless

Stoke

If we stay in the EU we will have an extra £26bn to spend on mental health, homelessness (although you have previously labelled people on benefits (which most homeless are) scum) and veterans. "

You do realise that the EU only give money back to us that originated from the UK

Cambridge

If we stay in the EU we will have an extra £26bn to spend on mental health, homelessness (although you have previously labelled people on benefits (which most homeless are) scum) and veterans.

You do realise that the EU only give money back to us that originated from the UK"

No, that's the hit to our economy.

Cambridge

It's difficult to obtain benefits when you are homeless and living on the streets

And you have forgotten to quote many of my posts which have mentioned the work and time I spent helping or assisting the homeless

Go on tell me the last time you spent time raising funds to help the homeless Or a Christmas cooking and throwing a party for the homeless "

Every single homeless shelter and supported housing project in the UK is reliant upon housing benefit income. So all those people are scum in your opinion, right?

I'll be honest, I haven't done anything the help homeless people since friday afternoon.

Stoke

You do realise that the EU only give money back to us that originated from the UK

No, that's the hit to our economy."

Let's wait and see what if any the hit will be....

After all less than months ago we were told the housing market would collapse overnight. I've bought and sold 3 houses since then

Shares would tumble, my portfolio is up in value

And jobs would be lost immediately

I've never had it so busy

U.K. Investment is up

Houses are up, try getting a bargain at property auction

Share prices are up

Employment rates are up

Bloody hell this Brexit thingy is turning in to a proper distaster

Opinion polls have consistently showed a majority of the uk public back cutting the foreign aid budget. By putting this foolish 0.7% figure on it, it has become bloated in recent years and we now spend far too much on foreign aid than we should. I don't want my tax money funding silly things like an Ethiopian version of the Spice Girls when it would be much better spent here in the UK on the NHS or the homeless.

Yes, heaven forbid you'd try to empower women in a country with widespread gender based violence and female genital mutilation."

Like the UK?

Stoke

Go on tell me the last time you spent time raising funds to help the homeless Or a Christmas cooking and throwing a party for the homeless

Every single homeless shelter and supported housing project in the UK is reliant upon housing benefit income. So all those people are scum in your opinion, right?

I'll be honest, I haven't done anything the help homeless people since friday afternoon. "

Well done.. another gold star for ya

You will soon have your chart filled up at this rate

Cambridge

I'll be honest, I haven't done anything the help homeless people since friday afternoon.

You will soon have your chart filled up at this rate"

Yet you haven't answered why you lable all these people as scum that you supposedly "work with" and "help"

London

Yes, heaven forbid you'd try to empower women in a country with widespread gender based violence and female genital mutilation.

Like the UK?"

Maybe you should try a book rather than the Daily Fail.

Stoke

Yet you haven't answered why you lable all these people as scum that you supposedly "work with" and "help""

I think lots of people are scum, I think those who chuck litter out of their car window are scum

People who leave their unwanted furniture outside of their house are scum

Those who could but wont cut their lawns or maintain the area they live in are scum

But I am willing to help who I can when I can

I think lots of people don't get the care they need

I understand many people have gone through huge trauma and aren't as fortunate as I am now

I know what's it's like to be down on your luck, to need a hand up rather than a hand out

I know how important good guidance is, and how some people, not all will benefit and thrive.

But let's be honest society does have plenty of bone idle benefit sucking dossers, or do you honestly believe that all who are on benefits truly deserve them

As I said hence the reason I support MIND, because my father was troubled by alcohol and gambling addictions which ultimately ruined him, and caused great distress to my family and me as we grew up.

Stoke

Yet you haven't answered why you lable all these people as scum that you supposedly "work with" and "help""

Some are scum, some aren't... is that ok for you

London

Why? 99.3% of the budget is spent on our people. We are the 6th biggest economy in the world, are you really trying to say that we are too poor to help other countries?

That leaves 0.7% to spend helping our mentally ill and ex forces personnel who are homeless and suffering with PTSD"

I agree that much more should be spent on those things. That's why I'll never vote Tory.

Stoke

That leaves 0.7% to spend helping our mentally ill and ex forces personnel who are homeless and suffering with PTSD

I agree that much more should be spent on those things. That's why I'll never vote Tory. "

Well done you, and more mines were shut under labour than were ever shut under the conservatives

More social housing was constructed under the conservatives than was ever constructed under labour

Those norty conservatives heartless and uncaring the whole lot of em..

I mean were the conservatives thinking when they burdened the NHS with PFI, how cruel was that

That leaves 0.7% to spend helping our mentally ill and ex forces personnel who are homeless and suffering with PTSD"

Quick question, why do servicemen and exforces always get special noteriety when it comes to mental illness?

Im not saying it isnt a just cause by any stretch, but we have a serious mental health issue in this country.

Why not just lump PTSD in with the rest of debilitating nental illnesses - and make the point for better quality of care and service for mental health?

Cambridge

Quick question, why do servicemen and exforces always get special noteriety when it comes to mental illness?

Im not saying it isnt a just cause by any stretch, but we have a serious mental health issue in this country.

Why not just lump PTSD in with the rest of debilitating nental illnesses - and make the point for better quality of care and service for mental health?"

PTSD gets more attention than it deserves, for more veterans suffer from depression, anxiety and alcohol misuse than PTSD.

Correction to my last post. I didnt see the and, between mentally ill and ex forces. My apologies.

That's not what foreign aid is for. As much as I'd like it to be altruistic aid for developing countries, it is a way to buy British companies into negotiations to operate/sell there. "

Not just that but where it is spent and invested correctly it often encouraces the regional population to stay and invest with their own region. Creates more markets ect, more work, reduces emigration.

Stoke

Why not just lump PTSD in with the rest of debilitating nental illnesses - and make the point for better quality of care and service for mental health?

PTSD gets more attention than it deserves, for more veterans suffer from depression, anxiety and alcohol misuse than PTSD. "

Thruthfully I think we can label the illness in lots of different ways, with many diffferent triggers and ways in which it shows or is managed by the individual, but all mental health issues are debilitating and difficult for those who are involved.

But let's not forget, we as a nation sent our forces personnel of to do the nations dirty work, so we as a nation should do everything we can to help them re-adjust to civilian life.

We also have many who suffer due to the care the state didn't provide for them as youngsters, and I do believe the church institutions have a lot to answer for, regarding childhood abuse, and the protection of the perpetrator. The Catholic Church would be a prime example of institutionalised abuse.

We should also guarantee support to children in care to the age of 21

Stoke

Correction to my last post. I didnt see the and, between mentally ill and ex forces. My apologies."

No need to apologise...

Stoke

Yet you haven't answered why you lable all these people as scum that you supposedly "work with" and "help"

I think lots of people are scum, I think those who chuck litter out of their car window are scum

People who leave their unwanted furniture outside of their house are scum

Those who could but wont cut their lawns or maintain the area they live in are scum

But I am willing to help who I can when I can

I think lots of people don't get the care they need

I understand many people have gone through huge trauma and aren't as fortunate as I am now

I know what's it's like to be down on your luck, to need a hand up rather than a hand out

I know how important good guidance is, and how some people, not all will benefit and thrive.

But let's be honest society does have plenty of bone idle benefit sucking dossers, or do you honestly believe that all who are on benefits truly deserve them

As I said hence the reason I support MIND, because my father was troubled by alcohol and gambling addictions which ultimately ruined him, and caused great distress to my family and me as we grew up.

"

So CLCC I thought you might have replied to this, as you love to deride me at every other opertunity, or is out right honesty not something that you like to do

Stoke

I agree that much more should be spent on those things. That's why I'll never vote Tory. "

I'm sure the conservatives are gutted that they will not be getting your vote, argh well onwards and upwards, 4 more years

"

Can we just go through your inns and outs to see if this is factual.

Your making £360 a week less national insurance and tax?.

Whats your take home on that about 250 or a 1000 a month.

Whats your 3 bedroom house costing to rent a month?..

It seems a bit ambiguous at best to be honest

Cambridge

It seems a bit ambiguous at best to be honest "

The local housing allowance for a 3 bedroom property in Flintshire is £127 per week.

Derby

It seems a bit ambiguous at best to be honest "

About £1,350 per month actually. 35% more than you estimate.

Derby

About £1,350 per month actually. 35% more than you estimate."

And the rental for a 3 bed house in finishing starts from about £500 per month to about £750 per month. Leaving between £600 and £850 per month.

Easily doable if they get a bit of overtime as well.

Cambridge

Well £8 x 45 hrs a week is £360 as mentioned, which equates to £18,720 annually, or £1,560 per month before deductions. If we take a rough guess of those deductions equalling 22% then take would leave a take home pay of £1216 per month, roughly.

"Well as long as you and your neighbour are OK that's the important thing.

It doesn't really matter that every city has huge queues at foodbanks every week for working families who can't afford to feed their children.

It doesn't matter that more and more people are having to sleep rough and we have more people on the streets due to the cuts.

It doesn't matter that social care and the NHS are on their knees due to chronic underfunding from this government.

It doesn't matter that the Tories are pushing a cut of £3bn on our schools whilst giving £4bn to big business in Corporation Tax cuts.

It doesn't matter that benefits cuts to the disabled is forcing clearly disabled people to work and has led directly to many deaths.

It doesn't matter that we have had wage stagnation in this country for 8 years whilst the rich have doubled their wealth!

We are the 6th richest nation on earth. Austerity is a political choice and not a necessity.

But as long as you have a nice new car and new phone I'm happy."

Couldn't agree more. Well said mate

"Well as long as you and your neighbour are OK that's the important thing.

But as long as you have a nice new car and new phone I'm happy.

Couldn't agree more. Well said mate"

I'll second that.

What!!

His take home pay is £1350 a month?

I think people dont know what austerity means to be honest reading this thread.

difficult economic conditions created by government measures to reduce public expenditure.

"the country was subjected to acute economic austerity".

Does anybody notice the "created by" bit

"

Maybe it's not good idea to drink beer every night ..being a bus driver ..

upton wirral

even if correct how do you know the government would spend it on these things?

upton wirral

"I think people dont know what austerity means to be honest reading this thread.

difficult economic conditions created by government measures to reduce public expenditure.

"the country was subjected to acute economic austerity".

Does anybody notice the "created by" bit"

Derby

Well £8 x 45 hrs a week is £360 as mentioned, which equates to £18,720 annually, or £1,560 per month before deductions. If we take a rough guess of those deductions equalling 22% then take would leave a take home pay of £1216 per month, roughly."

So you initial estimate of £1,000 per month is way out in the first place.

And you don't have to 'rough guess' deductions. Try using google, as you are always telling people to do. Type in "take home pay calculator".

It will tell you that, contrary to your belief that people earning £8 per hour for a 45 hour week only take home £1,000 per month, they actually net 1/3rd more than that.

Well £8 x 45 hrs a week is £360 as mentioned, which equates to £18,720 annually, or £1,560 per month before deductions. If we take a rough guess of those deductions equalling 22% then take would leave a take home pay of £1216 per month, roughly.

And you don't have to 'rough guess' deductions. Try using google, as you are always telling people to do. Type in "take home pay calculator".

It will tell you that, contrary to your belief that people earning £8 per hour for a 45 hour week only take home £1,000 per month, they actually net 1/3rd more than that."

You seem to be confusing me and CLCC which is quite funny

Derby

It will tell you that, contrary to your belief that people earning £8 per hour for a 45 hour week only take home £1,000 per month, they actually net 1/3rd more than that..

You seem to be confusing me and CLCC which is quite funny "

My apologies. Nevertheless, both your assumptions on net pay were way out.

I suppose, with an estimate of 3 million kids going hungry over the holiday period where free school meals aren't available then yes.

It will tell you that, contrary to your belief that people earning £8 per hour for a 45 hour week only take home £1,000 per month, they actually net 1/3rd more than that..

"

I get paid 4 weekly but i call it monthly, i know its not, its just habit.

I checked he'd make £1200,i dont earn much difference but forgot i make a pension payment?.

Anyhow £1200 in my book aint living it up, after ive paid my rent, council tax, utilities, car loan ,food. I have practically no money left myself.

I certainly dont have broadband or sky or takeaways or holidays and such

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i just think it is interesting that we spent shed loads of bailing out the banks... yet quibble about about what amounts to 12 billion on the foreign aid budget....

for example.... the amount of foreign aid the uk gave to montserrat after the volcano errupted after 400 yrs was vital... without it the tiny island would never have survived

the issue is really everyone wants to spend money.. but no one wants to pay taxes...

so when they say propose national insurance going up for self employed people... uproar...

anytime a tax increase is muted... uproar...

Cambridge

"

Why is my estimate of £1216 "way out" it is an estimate as I don't know if he is making pension contributions, I dont know if he is paying back student loans, I dont know if he has at attachment to earnings from a debt, for child support, for benefits over payments etc. Therefore it has to be an estimate based upon the info he has given

Derby

I get paid 4 weekly but i call it monthly, i know its not, its just habit.

I checked he'd make £1200,i dont earn much difference but forgot i make a pension payment?.

Anyhow £1200 in my book aint living it up, after ive paid my rent, council tax, utilities, car loan ,food. I have practically no money left myself.

I certainly dont have broadband or sky or takeaways or holidays and such"

Again, google take home pay calculator, and you'll see it's not 1200 its 1334. It really isn't rocket science to either google or work it out yourself.

Also, if you get paid 4 weekly, but call it monthly, you get 13 'monthly' payments a year. So if you're taking home 1200 every 4 weeks, it's 1300 a month.

Derby

Why is my estimate of £1216 "way out" it is an estimate as I don't know if he is making pension contributions, I dont know if he is paying back student loans, I dont know if he has at attachment to earnings from a debt, for child support, for benefits over payments etc. Therefore it has to be an estimate based upon the info he has given "

So therefore estimate it as a straight pay and tax calculation on the info he has given! Like I said earlier, it really isn't rocket science, and you can google it very easily.

Cambridge

Why is my estimate of £1216 "way out" it is an estimate as I don't know if he is making pension contributions, I dont know if he is paying back student loans, I dont know if he has at attachment to earnings from a debt, for child support, for benefits over payments etc. Therefore it has to be an estimate based upon the info he has given

So therefore estimate it as a straight pay and tax calculation on the info he has given! Like I said earlier, it really isn't rocket science, and you can google it very easily. "

So NatWest say take home of £1307, money saving expert says £1334, Reed say £1307 too. Obviously these figures are based on the OP actively opting out of his auto enrolled pension.

Derby

So therefore estimate it as a straight pay and tax calculation on the info he has given! Like I said earlier, it really isn't rocket science, and you can google it very easily.

So NatWest say take home of £1307, money saving expert says £1334, Reed say £1307 too. Obviously these figures are based on the OP actively opting out of his auto enrolled pension. "

The HMRC website calculator is £1,334.

By *rontier PsychiatristMan  over a year ago

Coventry

Well we certainly not living in poverty and conditions of my grandparents that's for sure. In comparison to early/mid 20th century we have never had it so good. But doesn't mean we shouldn't stride for better. There are still some people in proper poverty.

Maybe like me your staying in a better part of town....Try visiting some less affluent areas...The scene is not so good, crime, drugs,poverty...Quality is not judged on how new your mobile is in my book anyway....

By *UNKIEMan  over a year ago

south east

"

WOW!!!! Im alright jack ehh hopefully life wont throw you a curve ball and open your eyes to the outside world ..enjoy your happy bubble

» Add a new message to this topic