FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > NHS nurses

NHS nurses

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iPeople OP   Man  over a year ago

London

96% drop in EU nurses registering to work in Britain since Brexit vote

I assume any one who uses the nhs or has loved ones who do will care .

So let's keep this discussion for those people pls. However you voted at the referendum and election

What shall we do?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *utandbigMan  over a year ago

Bournemouth

"96% drop in EU nurses registering to work in Britain since Brexit vote

So let's keep this discussion for those people pls. However you voted at the referendum and election

What shall we do?"

The first thing the so called government should do is address the situation ASAP instead of sweeping it under the carpet like everything also they do

Mind you there not interested realy as they want the NHS privatised

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I heard on the radio the reason for the massive drop in applications was due to more stringent language tests lol

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"I heard on the radio the reason for the massive drop in applications was due to more stringent language tests lol"

That's actually very true. Concerns about the quality of applicants has led to tightening up of entrance tests.

"I heard on the radio the reason for the massive drop in applications was due to more stringent language tests lol

That's actually very true. Concerns about the quality of applicants has led to tightening up of entrance tests.

"

Oh I understand that but trying to say the gigantic reduction of applications is down to a language test is a lod of tosh

Grantham

"I heard on the radio the reason for the massive drop in applications was due to more stringent language tests lol

Oh I understand that but trying to say the gigantic reduction of applications is down to a language test is a lod of tosh"

A lot of nurses go and work for better paid Agencies.

Is this a reduction in NHS applicants, or just a general reduction?

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

Oh I understand that but trying to say the gigantic reduction of applications is down to a language test is a lod of tosh

A lot of nurses go and work for better paid Agencies.

Is this a reduction in NHS applicants, or just a general reduction?"

To work as a qualified nurse, whether agency or otherwise, requires registration...just saying

By *otgirl32Woman  over a year ago

Ashton Under Lyne

I'm a medical secretary. I know of 3 filippino nurses who have submitted their resignation and are moving to Australia and New Zealand. They speak good English. They're quite competent from what I know. OZ/NZ is closer to their home YET they chose to work in the UK (before the Fucksit - sorry, Brexit). This is just in my workplace. Anyone who thinks this won't have an effect on the NHS is ill informed.

By *ighland gentlemanMan  over a year ago

Tain

There are also concerns of numbers of EU dentists who are currently propping up NHS dentistry.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

What shall we do?

The first thing the so called government should do is address the situation ASAP instead of sweeping it under the carpet like everything also they do

Mind you there not interested realy as they want the NHS privatised "

How would having an understaffed NHS actually help in trying to privatise?

What shall we do?

Mind you there not interested realy as they want the NHS privatised

How would having an understaffed NHS actually help in trying to privatise?"

It highlights and will drive the need for reformation, similar when academy schools came in, OFSTED marked many schools as being in special measures, this meant they had to become an academy and then OFSTED go back in re mark them excellent or outstanding, in reality neither the parents or pupils have seen either a dip or increase in school performance. Unfortunately for the NHS it will be much more painful.

[Removed by poster at 17/06/17 16:17:28]

They are leaving cos of mays failure to offer assurances to them living in the uk.

Grantham

"I'm a medical secretary. I know of 3 filippino nurses who have submitted their resignation and are moving to Australia and New Zealand. They speak good English. They're quite competent from what I know. OZ/NZ is closer to their home YET they chose to work in the UK (before the Fucksit - sorry, Brexit). This is just in my workplace. Anyone who thinks this won't have an effect on the NHS is ill informed."

There is a worldwide shortage of skilled nurses. Many countries are agressively competing for them. Many British nurses have moved to Australia and NZ, for a variety of reasons.

Many nurses work for the love of the job, whilst others work for the money.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"I'm a medical secretary. I know of 3 filippino nurses who have submitted their resignation and are moving to Australia and New Zealand. They speak good English. They're quite competent from what I know. OZ/NZ is closer to their home YET they chose to work in the UK (before the Fucksit - sorry, Brexit). This is just in my workplace. Anyone who thinks this won't have an effect on the NHS is ill informed."

This actually has more to do with the Australian immigration system than phillipino nurses WANTING to come to the UK. The UK is seen as a staging post for phillipino nurses. They come to the UK because it was traditionally easier to get in. They learn English here, and then go to Oz.

People from the UK used to automatically get points for English, because they were emigrating from the UK, from the Australian government.

They then realised that there was a problem with people from here's English skills, and brought in a 3 hr written, aural and oral English exam. This was because so many people were coming here from elsewhere as a way to get to Australia.

Including phillipino nurses.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

We've yet to see any of the brexiters admit any responsibility for this and either admit that they knew this would happen and didn't care, or that they didn't know this despite having been warned.

Cambridge

"We've yet to see any of the brexiters admit any responsibility for this and either admit that they knew this would happen and didn't care, or that they didn't know this despite having been warned."

I'm sure they'll be along any minute now.

Cambridge

"We've yet to see any of the brexiters admit any responsibility for this and either admit that they knew this would happen and didn't care, or that they didn't know this despite having been warned.

I'm sure they'll be along any minute now. "

Any minute

By *otgirl32Woman  over a year ago

Ashton Under Lyne

"I'm a medical secretary. I know of 3 filippino nurses who have submitted their resignation and are moving to Australia and New Zealand. They speak good English. They're quite competent from what I know. OZ/NZ is closer to their home YET they chose to work in the UK (before the Fucksit - sorry, Brexit). This is just in my workplace. Anyone who thinks this won't have an effect on the NHS is ill informed.

This actually has more to do with the Australian immigration system than phillipino nurses WANTING to come to the UK. The UK is seen as a staging post for phillipino nurses. They come to the UK because it was traditionally easier to get in. They learn English here, and then go to Oz.

People from the UK used to automatically get points for English, because they were emigrating from the UK, from the Australian government.

They then realised that there was a problem with people from here's English skills, and brought in a 3 hr written, aural and oral English exam. This was because so many people were coming here from elsewhere as a way to get to Australia.

Including phillipino nurses."

All good points but here I know two of them their main reason for leaving was uncertainty and anti immigration sentiment. They all had job offers in OZ/NZ but came to the UK instead.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"I'm a medical secretary. I know of 3 filippino nurses who have submitted their resignation and are moving to Australia and New Zealand. They speak good English. They're quite competent from what I know. OZ/NZ is closer to their home YET they chose to work in the UK (before the Fucksit - sorry, Brexit). This is just in my workplace. Anyone who thinks this won't have an effect on the NHS is ill informed.

Including phillipino nurses.

All good points but here I know two of them their main reason for leaving was uncertainty and anti immigration sentiment. They all had job offers in OZ/NZ but came to the UK instead."

I got my full residency Australian visa in 2008. It was at that time that my emigration consultant told me about the phillipino nurses 'issue'. He said it had been going on for some time. So it's not new, it's been going on for at least a decade, or more.

By *apperpapiMan  over a year ago

Chester

I'm from the Philippines and I think this has nothing to do directly with Brexit since we are non-EU citizens. UK has imposed a more strict criteria for us than the EU citizens. I mentioned indirect because the humble £1 used to be equivalent to 74 philippine pesos pre-Brexit vote, which then crashed to 62 overnight. Plus as mentioned somewhere in this thread that Australia and New Zealand is closer to the Philippines so I guess that's their reason for moving out.

FYI, I'm not a nurse.

By *apperpapiMan  over a year ago

Chester

The UK, I believe, is already aware of what's about to happen, and has measures in place if and when the nurse shortage happens. EU citizens who are already here in the UK may have to apply for work visas similar to non-EU citizens but will have to go through (and pass) the required English tests and other point based requirements like years of work experience and UK degree equivalent comparison.

"I'm from the Philippines and I think this has nothing to do directly with Brexit since we are non-EU citizens. UK has imposed a more strict criteria for us than the EU citizens. I mentioned indirect because the humble £1 used to be equivalent to 74 philippine pesos pre-Brexit vote, which then crashed to 62 overnight. Plus as mentioned somewhere in this thread that Australia and New Zealand is closer to the Philippines so I guess that's their reason for moving out.

FYI, I'm not a nurse."

The UK had to impose stricter rules for no EU citizens so as the give EU citizens more of the jobs available.

Thats how the EU works.

Cambridge

"I'm from the Philippines and I think this has nothing to do directly with Brexit since we are non-EU citizens. UK has imposed a more strict criteria for us than the EU citizens. I mentioned indirect because the humble £1 used to be equivalent to 74 philippine pesos pre-Brexit vote, which then crashed to 62 overnight. Plus as mentioned somewhere in this thread that Australia and New Zealand is closer to the Philippines so I guess that's their reason for moving out.

FYI, I'm not a nurse.

The UK had to impose stricter rules for no EU citizens so as the give EU citizens more of the jobs available.

Thats how the EU works.

"

No, its not.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

What shall we do?"

Haven't you heard, healthcare is a business like any other. If you want to increase profits first you need to create more demand than supply...

Fewer doctors, nurses and beds means more profits for the private healthcare providers like Virgin Healthcare...

Economics 101 really...

» Add a new message to this topic