FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Brexit bombers

Brexit bombers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asyuk OP   Man  over a year ago

West London

I've not bothered to post on here for ages due to boredom.

This article in the Telegraph amused me as a simile for Need it.

It won't amuse a single Brexiteer though

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/17/battle-britain-memorial-flight-planes-grounded-engine-safety/

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

But you've bothered to post it twice now.....but I fail to see what on Earth it has to do with Brexit....or even anything remotely political.

The engines need a serious overhaul before being passed safe to fly again. That's it!

West London

"But you've bothered to post it twice now.....but I fail to see what on Earth it has to do with Brexit....or even anything remotely political.

The engines need a serious overhaul before being passed safe to fly again. That's it!"

Simile

West London

Actually,in retrospect, I'll be more explicit.

The UK has achieved some truly great things in the past. Some not so great too but that is only to be expected. We have, however, done precious little to add to these achievements.

Regardless, we have created a national myth that we have indulged ourselves in for decades - represented by the Memorial Flight in this analogy. A myth that we have come to believe as truth. However, the reality is that at a certain point this myth no longer flies. In this case literally.

Does this comparison now make sense?

By *igsteve43Man  over a year ago

derby

Wtf are you on op this has nothing to do with brexit

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

"Actually,in retrospect, I'll be more explicit.

The UK has achieved some truly great things in the past. Some not so great too but that is only to be expected. We have, however, done precious little to add to these achievements.

Regardless, we have created a national myth that we have indulged ourselves in for decades - represented by the Memorial Flight in this analogy. A myth that we have come to believe as truth. However, the reality is that at a certain point this myth no longer flies. In this case literally.

Does this comparison now make sense?"

Sorry but I don't think the Battle of Britain was a myth, although we might have lost it without the help of the free Polish pilots.

West London

"Wtf are you on op this has nothing to do with brexit"

Are similies and metaphors not a "thing" anymore?

West London

"Actually,in retrospect, I'll be more explicit.

Does this comparison now make sense?

Sorry but I don't think the Battle of Britain was a myth, although we might have lost it without the help of the free Polish pilots."

Ummm. That's not what I said at all, nor even implied.

The myth is that the achievements of this period have any baring on how we choose to behave and what we achieve as a nation in the modern world.

There were, incidentally, far more nationalities beyond only free Polish pilots sat in RAF aircraft during the Battle of Britain. That rather adds to the point don't you think?

By *omaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I'll have a pint of what the OP is drinking

I think the spitfires should be patrolling our skies and swooping down on junker, like seagulls and making him dive to the ground 'nneeeAaaAawwwwwwww'

"I'll have a pint of what the OP is drinking "

I'm not sure I would....it's clearly addled his mind!

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"I'll have a pint of what the OP is drinking

I'm not sure I would....it's clearly addled his mind!"

A lot of Remainers have lost the plot since June last year. There were reports of some seeing shrinks to come to terms with the result of the EU referendum.

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

I keep coming back to this thread to see if any posts help to make sense of it....pro brexit...anti brexit...anything at all to do with brexit....still none the wiser.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Happy to report that the fault has been traced to a worn pinion gear in the Merlin engines, and that remedial action is taking place as we speak.

The six planes affected should return to the sky soon, and the "non-political" BBMF will be again reminding us all of past sacrifices.

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

Nothing to do with Brexit whatsoever. In what way is it funny?

What makes you happy about the story???

West London

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight represents the flag-waving jingoistic harking back to a past when the UK did great things and had great power.

The Memorial Flight is grounded due to engine trouble.

So is Brexit.

Is doesn't take that much imagination really

Never mind. I may try and find something more literal for you, or maybe not

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"Happy to report that the fault has been traced to a worn pinion gear in the Merlin engines, and that remedial action is taking place as we speak.

The six planes affected should return to the sky soon, and the "non-political" BBMF will be again reminding us all of past sacrifices."

So to carry on with the OP's 'simile' Brexit has not only survived, but will soon be flying high.

I see what he was getting at now....

West London

"Happy to report that the fault has been traced to a worn pinion gear in the Merlin engines, and that remedial action is taking place as we speak.

The six planes affected should return to the sky soon, and the "non-political" BBMF will be again reminding us all of past sacrifices.

So to carry on with the OP's 'simile' Brexit has not only survived, but will soon be flying high.

I see what he was getting at now.... "

I'm pleased that you have at least learned something about the English language

It appears that having done so you too are amused.

Mwah!

» Add a new message to this topic