FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > There is no progress on brexit.

There is no progress on brexit.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Michel barnier said the uk did not feel "legally obliged to honour its obligations" after brexit, if they dont agree. I can see this will take years, what is your view? I also think they secretly want to be in the eu, so they are prolonging it

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Michel barnier said the uk did not feel "legally obliged to honour its obligations" after brexit, if they dont agree. I can see this will take years, what is your view? I also think they secretly want to be in the eu, so they are prolonging it "

Well there wont be cos Davis and his motley crew dont a a clue

"Michel barnier said the uk did not feel "legally obliged to honour its obligations" after brexit, if they dont agree. I can see this will take years, what is your view? I also think they secretly want to be in the eu, so they are prolonging it

Well there wont be cos Davis and his motley crew dont a a clue "

Why the fuck does Davis always have a stupid grin on his face.Its an embarrassment that this cock splat is representing the UK negotiations.

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

I don't think there'll be an agreement on a financial agreement without it being tied to the trade deal.

The uk wont accept paying without knowing what the trade deal will be. The eu will be able to leverage a higher payment with a more attractive deal.

If they insist on seperating the two, I think the uk will walk away.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Apparently the E100 billion "divorce bill" has been documented by the EU on 4 sheets of paper!

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"Apparently the £100 billion "divorce bill" has been documented by the EU on 4 sheets of paper!

"

And its been picked apart 'rigerously' by the uk Brexit negotiating team. BBC Newsnight political editor (and ex Guardian Journalist) Nick Watt said tonight on BBC 2 Newsnight while being interviewed by Emily Maitlis that the official line the EU are going with is they want between 80 and 100 billion for a divorce bill but privately EU officials he has spoken to are saying the EU will realistically settle for around 30 billion. The UK could agree to pay this over a 3 year transition period which is only 10 billion a year over 3 years roughly the same as our current membership contribution fee. Some bitter remoaners on here who insist it will be a minimum of 50 billion will be disappointed and the 80 to 100 billion is frankly pie in the sky the UK will never agree to pay that amount.

"Apparently the £100 billion "divorce bill" has been documented by the EU on 4 sheets of paper!

And its been picked apart 'rigerously' by the uk Brexit negotiating team. BBC Newsnight political editor (and ex Guardian Journalist) Nick Watt said tonight on BBC 2 Newsnight while being interviewed by Emily Maitlis that the official line the EU are going with is they want between 80 and 100 billion for a divorce bill but privately EU officials he has spoken to are saying the EU will realistically settle for around 30 billion. The UK could agree to pay this over a 3 year transition period which is only 10 billion a year over 3 years roughly the same as our current membership contribution fee. Some bitter remoaners on here who insist it will be a minimum of 50 billion will be disappointed and the 80 to 100 billion is frankly pie in the sky the UK will never agree to pay that amount. "

We will see...this government also said no election ...or caving in to the EU...they have caved in at every opportunity....May and her motley crew aren't fit for the job....soon have JC in the seat taking control and showing them how its done....even some conservatives are predicting this

Having Corbyn in the driving seat while the whole country goes off a cliff is something a lot of Tories would love.

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

And its been picked apart 'rigerously' by the uk Brexit negotiating team. BBC Newsnight political editor (and ex Guardian Journalist) Nick Watt said tonight on BBC 2 Newsnight while being interviewed by Emily Maitlis that the official line the EU are going with is they want between 80 and 100 billion for a divorce bill but privately EU officials he has spoken to are saying the EU will realistically settle for around 30 billion. The UK could agree to pay this over a 3 year transition period which is only 10 billion a year over 3 years roughly the same as our current membership contribution fee. Some bitter remoaners on here who insist it will be a minimum of 50 billion will be disappointed and the 80 to 100 billion is frankly pie in the sky the UK will never agree to pay that amount. "

The UKs net contribution is 8.6bn, less 1bn that goes to UK business and less 1bn of overseas aid that the EU pays on behalf of the UK. 10bn a year would be quite the increase.

Ive still never seen a credible source that says the EU will accept 30bn as the payment either.

Cannock

And its been picked apart 'rigerously' by the uk Brexit negotiating team. BBC Newsnight political editor (and ex Guardian Journalist) Nick Watt said tonight on BBC 2 Newsnight while being interviewed by Emily Maitlis that the official line the EU are going with is they want between 80 and 100 billion for a divorce bill but privately EU officials he has spoken to are saying the EU will realistically settle for around 30 billion. The UK could agree to pay this over a 3 year transition period which is only 10 billion a year over 3 years roughly the same as our current membership contribution fee. Some bitter remoaners on here who insist it will be a minimum of 50 billion will be disappointed and the 80 to 100 billion is frankly pie in the sky the UK will never agree to pay that amount.

The UKs net contribution is 8.6bn, less 1bn that goes to UK business and less 1bn of overseas aid that the EU pays on behalf of the UK. 10bn a year would be quite the increase.

Ive still never seen a credible source that says the EU will accept 30bn as the payment either."

If you want to call BBC's Nick Watt a liar then that's on you. It's what he said on BBC Newsnight last night.

Sheffield

Hmmm interesting.

IF that were true, what would people say to:

£10bn / yr for 3 years.

Free trade as now.

No ECJ jurisdiction.

UK and EU citizens keep current status where resident now.

Free movement for visits of up to 3 months.

Visas for work and settling.

Yes or No? What would you change / add and why.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

And its been picked apart 'rigerously' by the uk Brexit negotiating team. BBC Newsni.....

Ive still never seen a credible source that says the EU will accept 30bn as the payment either.

If you want to call BBC's Nick Watt a liar then that's on you. It's what he said on BBC Newsnight last night. "

I can confirm that was said, I watched it too.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

Hmmm interesting.

£10bn / yr for 3 years.

Free trade as now.

No ECJ jurisdiction.

Yes or No? What would you change / add and why."

EU will never agree to that arrangement!! For one we can't have free trade between U.K. And EU whilst the U.K. can trade with preferential tarriffs with the rest of the world. The EU aren't going to let our ports be used as a backdoor for moving goods into Europe tariff free.

Sheffield

"

Hmmm interesting.

£10bn / yr for 3 years.

Free trade as now.

No ECJ jurisdiction.

Yes or No? What would you change / add and why.

EU will never agree to that arrangement!! For one we can't have free trade between U.K. And EU whilst the U.K. can trade with preferential tarriffs with the rest of the world. The EU aren't going to let our ports be used as a backdoor for moving goods into Europe tariff free."

That's as maybe. But what is your opinion, would YOU be happy with an arrangement like that?

By *rincessvenusCouple  over a year ago

Hull

did anyone think exiting would be easy weve a long long long way to go yet

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Why would anyone be surprised that those now in charge of the brexit negotiations do not feel they are legally required to honor treaty pledges with the EU? After all for the last 35 years the EU has given the UK special treatment and passes whenever we have said we don't want to play and we refuse to accept the EU rules. Like it or not we have been the playground bully of the EU since Thatcher. Unfortunately for us the EU no longer feels obliged to put up with our tantrums and bullying and they are not going to allow us take everything we want when we leave. Fact is if we refuse to pay our debts the EU may be hurt but it will survive. However there will be a cost to the UK and I think it is one the UK economy will not survive.

Of course those who are really the driving force behind brexit are not interested in the UK's wellbeing. Their only interest is the destruction of the EU and any other body that enforces regulations that curb their ability to make profits.

Grantham

One of the contentious points that the UK is questioning the legality of, is the insistence that we pay our annual contribution right upto the next EU budget round in 2020.

We leave in March 2019, yet the EU still want us to pay our contribution in full until 2020.

"....soon have JC in the seat taking control and showing them how its done....even some conservatives are predicting this "

General election next month, JC in No10.

You make more predictions than Mystic Meg

"....soon have JC in the seat taking control and showing them how its done....even some conservatives are predicting this

You make more predictions than Mystic Meg"

Maybe a bit more realistic than MysticMeg

By *igsteve43Man  over a year ago

derby

"....soon have JC in the seat taking control and showing them how its done....even some conservatives are predicting this

You make more predictions than Mystic Meg

Maybe a bit more realistic than MysticMeg "

I dont think a general election is coming soon and though when it comes jc may win if you believe he and diane abbott would get us a brtter deal you are deluded we would end up staying in losing our veto and having the euro forced upon us

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

I know I've said it before but I voted out and it meant to me just leave !!!

And I did understand what I voted for ! But this isn't it !

You leave something you don't have to negotiate !

You don't spend weeks months leaving a club or Job !

We voted leave so we should leave Now

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"I know I've said it before but I voted out and it meant to me just leave !!!

We voted leave so we should leave Now "

You also pay your bills when you leave a club.

who cares there all bent

thornaby

You also pay your bills when you leave a club."

. Yes you do pay them after you've checked that they are all correct tho

Cambridge

You also pay your bills when you leave a club.. Yes you do pay them after you've checked that they are all correct tho "

So how much do you think we owe?

"Apparently the E100 billion "divorce bill" has been documented by the EU on 4 sheets of paper!

"

Is that four sheets of toilet paper? Four fag packets? Four beer mats?

thornaby

You also pay your bills when you leave a club.. Yes you do pay them after you've checked that they are all correct tho

So how much do you think we owe?"

how the fuck do I know or you that's why they need to go through all this to make sure it's all legal like when you get a bill you like to make sure your not been over charged don't you

Cambridge

"Apparently the E100 billion "divorce bill" has been documented by the EU on 4 sheets of paper!

Is that four sheets of toilet paper? Four fag packets? Four beer mats?"

You still wouldn't think we should pay it if it was 40 pages or 400 pages.

Cambridge

You also pay your bills when you leave a club.. Yes you do pay them after you've checked that they are all correct tho

So how much do you think we owe? how the fuck do I know or you that's why they need to go through all this to make sure it's all legal like when you get a bill you like to make sure your not been over charged don't you "

Right, so if they go through it all and it's £100bn, then you will be happy?

thornaby

No of coarse I won't be happy why would I be happy but if accept it as to be paid but what's your point all you do is ask question after question

Cambridge

"No of coarse I won't be happy why would I be happy but if accept it as to be paid but what's your point all you do is ask question after question"

It just seems as though many brexiters don't want to pay, or don't believe the amount.

thornaby

I dint think it will be anywere near 100 b tbh on newsnite they were saying it could be more like 34 b but it' still as to be paid regardless of its found to be a legal bill and all the brexiteirs remainers talk politians bickering is playing into the eu hands we need to get a grip pull tgether and accept we are leaving then we may get a better deal

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"I dint think it will be anywere near 100 b tbh on newsnite they were saying it could be more like 34 b but it' still as to be paid regardless of its found to be a legal bill and all the brexiteirs remainers talk politians bickering is playing into the eu hands we need to get a grip pull tgether and accept we are leaving then we may get a better deal "

But you get dickhead Politicians on the TV like Redwood who are adamant that the bill is zero and we just walk, it doesn't help the Conservative negotiators when there is absolutely no concensus even in their own party.

thornaby

I agree 100% but brexit is far to important like the NHS it should be cross party team dealing with it so there's no bullshit nit picking . Some things are just to big to play games with they and us the people need to all be pulling same direction now

"Michel barnier said the uk did not feel "legally obliged to honour its obligations" after brexit, if they dont agree. I can see this will take years, what is your view? I also think they secretly want to be in the eu, so they are prolonging it "

Barnier is throwing his toys out of his pram because we refuse to bow down to him. Our negotiating team are keeping agreement of obligations open so they can be used as a negotiating tool for trade deals. It's how negotiations work and as someone who deals with negotiations all the time; our team are doing the right thing.

Cambridge

"Michel barnier said the uk did not feel "legally obliged to honour its obligations" after brexit, if they dont agree. I can see this will take years, what is your view? I also think they secretly want to be in the eu, so they are prolonging it

Barnier is throwing his toys out of his pram because we refuse to bow down to him. Our negotiating team are keeping agreement of obligations open so they can be used as a negotiating tool for trade deals. It's how negotiations work and as someone who deals with negotiations all the time; our team are doing the right thing. "

Except the EU are refusing to move onto trade negotiations until this is sorted.

You also pay your bills when you leave a club."

Fair Point !

How many millions does the E U owe us ?

Barnier is throwing his toys out of his pram because we refuse to bow down to him. Our negotiating team are keeping agreement of obligations open so they can be used as a negotiating tool for trade deals. It's how negotiations work and as someone who deals with negotiations all the time; our team are doing the right thing.

Except the EU are refusing to move onto trade negotiations until this is sorted. "

Yep, throwing their toys out of the pram. Our team needs to continue to hold firm, or would you prefer they just cave in?

Cambridge

Except the EU are refusing to move onto trade negotiations until this is sorted.

Yep, throwing their toys out of the pram. Our team needs to continue to hold firm, or would you prefer they just cave in?"

Refusing to pay will leave us in terrible standing in the international community and negatively impact future trading relations. We have to pay, so lets get it sorted and move on.

Yep, throwing their toys out of the pram. Our team needs to continue to hold firm, or would you prefer they just cave in?

Refusing to pay will leave us in terrible standing in the international community and negatively impact future trading relations. We have to pay, so lets get it sorted and move on."

Just cave in then? Great strategy, NOT!

Cambridge

Refusing to pay will leave us in terrible standing in the international community and negatively impact future trading relations. We have to pay, so lets get it sorted and move on.

Just cave in then? Great strategy, NOT!"

And your strategy is to crash out of the negotiations and leave with no trade deal, no payment (again ruining our reputation). That's a terrible idea.

This isn't a customer/supplier type negotiation where you can just walk away and find a new supplier if you're not happy. The only people we can deal with is the EU.

Just cave in then? Great strategy, NOT!"

Easyarse do you walk away from paying for your mobile bill you committed paying to pay for even though you havnt yet received that service...i think not or maybe you do

thornaby

The government accept they will AV a bill to pay but surely you want them to go through it properly first to make sure we arnt been over charged So we can't just pay up and move on things like this take time

And your strategy is to crash out of the negotiations and leave with no trade deal, no payment (again ruining our reputation). That's a terrible idea.

This isn't a customer/supplier type negotiation where you can just walk away and find a new supplier if you're not happy. The only people we can deal with is the EU. "

No, my strategy would be to negotiate. Which is exactly what our team are doing.

south dublin

"One of the contentious points that the UK is questioning the legality of, is the insistence that we pay our annual contribution right upto the next EU budget round in 2020.

We leave in March 2019, yet the EU still want us to pay our contribution in full until 2020.

"

If you didnt want to pay your contribution until 2020 then you shouldnt have agreed to it in the first place should you?

Easyarse do you walk away from paying for your mobile bill you committed paying to pay for even though you havnt yet received that service...i think not or maybe you do "

Excellent analogy!

If they have told you they will disconnect you on a certain date and you will no longer get a service, you walk away.

Easyarse do you walk away from paying for your mobile bill you committed paying to pay for even though you havnt yet received that service...i think not or maybe you do

Excellent analogy!

If they have told you they will disconnect you on a certain date and you will no longer get a service, you walk away.

"

But they still want the money for the contract and will take steps to claim it

Cambridge

"The government accept they will AV a bill to pay but surely you want them to go through it properly first to make sure we arnt been over charged So we can't just pay up and move on things like this take time "

No one is suggesting that we shouldn't make sure that aren't being over charged.

thornaby

Clcc you did you said lets get it sorted and move on the lawyers need time to go through it first my understanding is that's what they are doing then we may find out the 100billion they plucked out the air isn't the correct amount

south dublin

Excellent analogy!

"

But thats the wrong analogy.

A more accurate view is this: you take out a 2 year contract with a mobile phone company, you decide a year in that you dont want to use it anymore. You still have to pay what you agreed to, you dont get to stop just because it suits you.

Cambridge

"Clcc you did you said lets get it sorted and move on the lawyers need time to go through it first my understanding is that's what they are doing then we may find out the 100billion they plucked out the air isn't the correct amount "

My understanding is that the foreign Secretary told them to go whistle for the money.

That's not the same as checking the figure.

North West

"Clcc you did you said lets get it sorted and move on the lawyers need time to go through it first my understanding is that's what they are doing then we may find out the 100billion they plucked out the air isn't the correct amount

My understanding is that the foreign Secretary told them to go whistle for the money.

That's not the same as checking the figure."

I read that Boris Johnson first said go whistle for the money and then he agreed with other Govt officials that there was a settlement figure to pay. Last week Barnier said (and it was not refuted by Davis) that in July the Govt had agreed that there was a settlement figure to pay but last week they spent three days arguing legal nuances as to why there should not be a settlement figure.

All very, very confusing.

thornaby

Think he was just looking for another headline suprised you guys believed him tho tut tut lol

"Think he was just looking for another headline suprised you guys believed him tho tut tut lol"

But hes in a position of power some people DO believe these people when they say things....I.E 350mil for the NHS

thornaby

Pls don't mention the bus again yr right there was one guy in Devon that believed that headline the rest of us seen it as headline grabbing it's common place in politics

"Pls don't mention the bus again yr right there was one guy in Devon that believed that headline the rest of us seen it as headline grabbing it's common place in politics "

ONE !!!! ??

Excellent analogy!

A more accurate view is this: you take out a 2 year contract with a mobile phone company, you decide a year in that you dont want to use it anymore. You still have to pay what you agreed to, you dont get to stop just because it suits you."

If you have given the required notice to terminate your contract you can walk away from the contract when the notice period had ended.

The UK gave their notice when Article 50 was triggered.

Cambridge

"Think he was just looking for another headline suprised you guys believed him tho tut tut lol"

He is the foreign Secretary, he speaks for the government.

Excellent analogy!

A more accurate view is this: you take out a 2 year contract with a mobile phone company, you decide a year in that you dont want to use it anymore. You still have to pay what you agreed to, you dont get to stop just because it suits you.

If you have given the required notice to terminate your contract you can walk away from the contract when the notice period had ended.

The UK gave their notice when Article 50 was triggered."

But the contract period hasn't ended thats why there negotiatin....there all working out what we owe lol....dont you get that

Excellent analogy!

But the contract period hasn't ended thats why there negotiatin....there all working out what we owe lol....dont you get that "

If it isn't worked out before the 2 years are up we can walk away.

Excellent analogy!

But the contract period hasn't ended thats why there negotiatin....there all working out what we owe lol....dont you get that

If it isn't worked out before the 2 years are up we can walk away.

"

No we cant...these contracts are signed for well past that date....im not sure your getting this

By *omaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

would you agree to buy something that the seller won't put a price on until you sign a contract to buy?

That's what the EU want the UK to do . . . . . agree and sign on the dotted line THEN we tell you how much . . .

no way. .

By *omaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I heard the EU also wants the UK to commit to paying for the European Overseas Aid well after we have officially left. . .

tell me that's not true ffs

"would you agree to buy something that the seller won't put a price on until you sign a contract to buy?

That's what the EU want the UK to do . . . . . agree and sign on the dotted line THEN we tell you how much . . .

no way. .

"

But they know what its going to cost individually not all together...and there negotiating to reduce the bill...is that really hard to comprehend ?

"I heard the EU also wants the UK to commit to paying for the European Overseas Aid well after we have officially left. . .

tell me that's not true ffs "

If we signed up and agreed to it then why shouldn't we ?

UK have to pay, there is no way around it, they have obligations they have already signed up for and other things, not sure why it is so hard for the brexit negotiation team to understand that lol.

"would you agree to buy something that the seller won't put a price on until you sign a contract to buy?

no way. .

But they know what its going to cost individually not all together...and there negotiating to reduce the bill...is that really hard to comprehend ? "

What do you mean? Individual bills? Individual countries?

Why don't they just add up all the 'individual' ones to get the 'together' total?

"I heard the EU also wants the UK to commit to paying for the European Overseas Aid well after we have officially left. . .

If we signed up and agreed to it then why shouldn't we ? "

Because we would have left the EU.

The remaining members will have to put their hands in their pockets.

The remaining members will have to put their hands in their pockets."

You really dont get the whole agreement thing do you ?

You really dont get the whole agreement thing do you ? "

Why should we pay for EU Overseas Aid when we are no longer in the EU?

As many remainers have said, you can't expect to use the facilities if you're not a member of the club.

Likewise the club shouldn't expect ex members to pay for facilities if the club won't let them use them.

As many remainers have said, you can't expect to use the facilities if you're not a member of the club.

Likewise the club shouldn't expect ex members to pay for facilities if the club won't let them use them."

Because we have agreed to pay thats what you do when you sign a fixed contract....the government are trying to negotiate a better price deal for leaving the club...you still dont get it really

south dublin

This isnt very complicated.

The UK gave notice of 2 years. The UK has to pay everything due until this date. At that point you can walk away and not pay anything more and you'll get nothing from the EU.

BUT you still want some things from the EU beyond that date (transitional agreement for 1) so the EU are going to negotiate for some things they want in return.

Its honestly embarrassing to watch the Brexit-tears crying and whinging about the fact that the EU want to negotiate for some things they want after all the talk earlier this year about how valuable and necessary the UK was to the EU and how the EU would take any deal the UK offered.

If the UK dont like the deal they dont have to take it so whats the problem?

North West

no way. .

"

That is a very one sided interpretation.

North West

tell me that's not true ffs "

Only the programmes that were agreed on whilst the U.K. was a Member. If the EU agreed a ten year programme with Turkey (for example) from 2015 until 2025 then the UK would be liable up to 2025 because that was an obligation made when the UK was in the EU.

If the UK did not honour that agreement which technically it doesn't have to because it was an agreement signed by the EU and not the UK then the UK would pass on their obligations to the remaining nations and that just leaves a very bad taste and would not be forgotten in a hurry. It would certainly be remembered in years to come when the UK wanted something from the EU.

Likewise the club shouldn't expect ex members to pay for facilities if the club won't let them use them.

Because we have agreed to pay thats what you do when you sign a fixed contract....the government are trying to negotiate a better price deal for leaving the club...you still dont get it really "

I do get it. As the two posts after you have explained we don't have an obligation after two years are up.

If the negotiations are not completed by that date we can walk away.

The EU cannot blame the UK if we do. They made the rules.

Cambridge

no way. .

"

No, that's not what is happening at all. Where did you hear that rubbish?

Cambridge

Because we have agreed to pay thats what you do when you sign a fixed contract....the government are trying to negotiate a better price deal for leaving the club...you still dont get it really

I do get it. As the two posts after you have explained we don't have an obligation after two years are up.

If the negotiations are not completed by that date we can walk away.

The EU cannot blame the UK if we do. They made the rules."

Do you understand what the bill is actually for? A lot of it is for pension contributions, such as for British civil servants who have worked for the EU, and for capital spending that the UK agreed to fund, over the course of several years.

thornaby

It's also for the ukrain and overseas aid as if we arnt the second or third biggest contributor to that anyway

Cannock

"UK have to pay, there is no way around it, they have obligations they have already signed up for and other things, not sure why it is so hard for the brexit negotiation team to understand that lol."

The UK has assets in the EU which we have contributed to and acquired over the last 40 years of membership. The uk's share of EU assets should be taken into account by the EU and deducted from the divorce bill. From what has been said in the press it looks like the EU are not taking into account the UK's share of assets which we should be legally entitled to. This is why the EU are annoyed because the UK Brexit negotiations team have taken apart their demands rigorously 'line by line'. The EU are so used to getting their own way but it's not going to happen with the UK. We will claim what we are legally entitled to.

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"UK have to pay, there is no way around it, they have obligations they have already signed up for and other things, not sure why it is so hard for the brexit negotiation team to understand that lol.

The UK has assets in the EU which we have contributed to and acquired over the last 40 years of membership. The uk's share of EU assets should be taken into account by the EU and deducted from the divorce bill. From what has been said in the press it looks like the EU are not taking into account the UK's share of assets which we should be legally entitled to. This is why the EU are annoyed because the UK Brexit negotiations team have taken apart their demands rigorously 'line by line'. The EU are so used to getting their own way but it's not going to happen with the UK. We will claim what we are legally entitled to. "

Hmm assets ?

I'd suggest it reasonable the European union has equal if not more assets in the UK ?

Cambridge

"UK have to pay, there is no way around it, they have obligations they have already signed up for and other things, not sure why it is so hard for the brexit negotiation team to understand that lol.

The UK has assets in the EU which we have contributed to and acquired over the last 40 years of membership. The uk's share of EU assets should be taken into account by the EU and deducted from the divorce bill. From what has been said in the press it looks like the EU are not taking into account the UK's share of assets which we should be legally entitled to. This is why the EU are annoyed because the UK Brexit negotiations team have taken apart their demands rigorously 'line by line'. The EU are so used to getting their own way but it's not going to happen with the UK. We will claim what we are legally entitled to. "

No, those assets have been taken into account, and taken off the bill already.

By *robertsCouple  over a year ago

Leicestershire

So a builder comes into your house to price a job but he doesn't say what he will do and what he won't . He just gives a price , you ask for a list of details and a cost for each of those but he doesn't have a list . You get my drift ............... .

Bottom line is this "you can't negotiate with an EU dictatorship" it's their way or the highway .

Our team of lawyers want to know line by line where they are getting their sums from ? and what our obligations are to pay a divorce bill but they can't answer the question.

Of course they don't want us to leave as they won't get their 50 million a day their trying to keep this ball in the air as long as they can hoping we change our minds .

Cambridge

"So a builder comes into your house to price a job but he doesn't say what he will do and what he won't . He just gives a price , you ask for a list of details and a cost for each of those but he doesn't have a list . You get my drift ............... .

Bottom line is this "you can't negotiate with an EU dictatorship" it's their way or the highway .

Our team of lawyers want to know line by line where they are getting their sums from ? and what our obligations are to pay a divorce bill but they can't answer the question.

Of course they don't want us to leave as they won't get their 50 million a day their trying to keep this ball in the air as long as they can hoping we change our minds . "

The EU have provided a list

south dublin

"So a builder comes into your house to price a job but he doesn't say what he will do and what he won't . He just gives a price , you ask for a list of details and a cost for each of those but he doesn't have a list . You get my drift ............... .

Of course they don't want us to leave as they won't get their 50 million a day their trying to keep this ball in the air as long as they can hoping we change our minds . "

The EU have provided that information, what do you think the UK negotiators are going through line by line?

This is such a confused post and makes no sense.

"They havent told us about the bill but also our guys are going through what they told us about the bill."

Brexit-tears

"

Bottom line is this "you can't negotiate with an EU dictatorship" "

I think you're confusing the UK's inability to have their cake and eat it with a fairytale about the plucky UK being bullied by the mean old EU.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

Of course they don't want us to leave as they won't get their 50 million a day their trying to keep this ball in the air as long as they can hoping we change our minds .

The EU have provided a list "

Have they published it?

By *ilent.KnightMan  over a year ago

Swindon

Have they published it?"

Not the sums. But we know the reasons.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/brexit-explained/eu-divorce-bill

Using rubbish analogies it's to pay for part of the extension we agreed to build when we were still dating, the child support, and a lump sum to cover the fact we guaranteed a loan for the joint business. Plus a bit for the legal bills us leaving will cause them.

And then we can start talking about visiting rights for the kids.

The main problems are regardless of which party you support - brexit was over simplified! Just like switching a light off. There is a big difference between theory and practice. The European consenus is that the Brits have been a bunch of wingers as the Aussies would say "winging pommes". Whilst they didn't want us to leave, they have accepted it. Britain held all the power up to the actioning Article 50. Power then transferred to the EU. Britain insist that are going to get a better deal then what they have now. IF that happens the EU is dead - so it won't happen sorry. The EU will protect its existence despite what the Brits say. NL, FR have beaten the right wing movement and voted in pro EU party's. If Germany re-elect Merkel then the UK will have 2 options - take it or leave it. The Germans always moan about the Brits getting their own way - this time we won't. But only time will tell. Germany will be the hardest hit but it's exports are only 10% - they can afford to lose that. In fact they wouldn't lose all of that, because under WTO rules they can still sell their cars - just they will be 10% more expensive. Unfortunately from a British perspective "services" are treated differently.

Cambridge

Well the Sunday Times are reporting that May has already decided to give £50bn! So much for checking it line by line, or making the EU whistle for it!

What a fucking shambles.

"Well the Sunday Times are reporting that May has already decided to give £50bn! So much for checking it line by line, or making the EU whistle for it!

What a fucking shambles."

Another cave in by May, Davis and the motley crew...i wouldnt trust this lot to organise a piss up in a brewery

Swindon

Boris fans will claim he meant whistle for the full amount. And he's been proven right with a 50% discount.

My guess would be there is a greater cost in not getting to the real negotiations and so someone has made the call this is a price worth paying. (I suspect there was always going to be some divorce payment and so the price is really the amount above this amount). Probably gives an idea of our burn rate if there is no agreement in place ....

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brexit doesn't happen.

So much for "democracy" eh?

"I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brexit doesn't happen.

So much for "democracy" eh?"

Nah it will happen this bunch are determined to fuck us all up

Cambridge

Hopefully there will at least be amendments saying that parliament can decide to stay in the customs union and single market. You did want more power to parliament after all....

People are REALLY discussing THIS on a swinging website??????

"People are REALLY discussing THIS on a swinging website??????"

Yeah its called the politics forum for a reason...no kiss..fuck or avoid in here

Swindon

We don't live in a democracy. We live in a restricted monarchy. (Or something smart like that)

Grantham

"Well the Sunday Times are reporting that May has already decided to give £50bn! So much for checking it line by line, or making the EU whistle for it!

What a fucking shambles."

Now proved as lazy and inaccurate journalism.

Papers would be better off chasing d*unk and cheating footballers about!

You can argue that brexit was not legally binding tho.

What a fucking shambles.

Papers would be better off chasing d*unk and cheating footballers about!"

How has it been proved that its not true ?

Grantham

"One of the contentious points that the UK is questioning the legality of, is the insistence that we pay our annual contribution right upto the next EU budget round in 2020.

If you didnt want to pay your contribution until 2020 then you shouldnt have agreed to it in the first place should you?"

No one is disputing that fact. The UK's lawyers are going through this line by line, and are bringing into question the legality in regard to the Lisbon Treaty.

If it's proved to be legal, then we pay it.

Grantham

What a fucking shambles.

How has it been proved that its not true ?"

Because our Chief Negotiator confirmed the fact in a TV interview this morning.

The UK's negotiating team are still working through the EU's figures line by line, so no figure or offer is even being contemplated yet.

What a fucking shambles.

The UK's negotiating team are still working through the EU's figures line by line, so no figure or offer is even being contemplated yet."

By that you mean Mr Mannering Davis...the guy that said this that and the other that's all been proved wrong...tbh if that guy said it was Sunday today..id check the calendar

Grantham

What a fucking shambles.

The UK's negotiating team are still working through the EU's figures line by line, so no figure or offer is even being contemplated yet.

By that you mean Mr Mannering Davis...the guy that said this that and the other that's all been proved wrong...tbh if that guy said it was Sunday today..id check the calendar "

And what's been proved wrong? Are you on our negotiating team then?

moston

OMG!

Is Davis for real? When is the government going to remove it's head from its collective arse and realise that the EU position has not changed one iota since before the referendum? At what point will May/Davis/BoJo and the rest of them work out that every time they open their mouth to slag off the EU and especially Mr Barnier that within hours the EU responds with a hardening of its position.

So far this weekend the EU side have said there has been no substantive progress in brexit negotiations. That to me sounds like a statement of fact by the people who set the agenda, timetable and pace of all brexit talks and even get to decide if we get an extension to this 2 year transitional period (because that is what these 2 years are).

Davis's response to above: There has been concrete progress and Barnier is a fool...

EU response to that:

Donald Tusk says “Before discussing the future we have to sort out the past.” and a nation that decides to leave the club, the guidelines say, “cannot have the same rights and enjoy the same benefits as a member”. Nor, the 27 have agreed, can there be sector-by-sector arrangements to bestow particular privileges on some British industries. This will worry the financial services industry. Mrs May has signalled the UK will leave the single market and the customs union. There is no halfway house. In other words we are going to be hammered! And Angela Merkel says she is "concerned that some in the UK still harbour “illusions” about the deal available. The mandate now handed to Michel Barnier, the European Commission’s chief negotiator, should dispel them." And that the EU will not allow the UK and brexit to dominate its agenda.

If our government is not very careful I think that in the very near future the EU will tell the UK to go fuck ourselves keep our money and stick our economy where the sun dont shine! And just to be clear that will mean the overnight collapse of the British banking and financial services industry and with it our economy.

Cannock

"The main problems are regardless of which party you support - brexit was over simplified! Just like switching a light off. There is a big difference between theory and practice. The European consenus is that the Brits have been a bunch of wingers as the Aussies would say "winging pommes". Whilst they didn't want us to leave, they have accepted it. Britain held all the power up to the actioning Article 50. Power then transferred to the EU. Britain insist that are going to get a better deal then what they have now. IF that happens the EU is dead - so it won't happen sorry. The EU will protect its existence despite what the Brits say. NL, FR have beaten the right wing movement and voted in pro EU party's. If Germany re-elect Merkel then the UK will have 2 options - take it or leave it. The Germans always moan about the Brits getting their own way - this time we won't. But only time will tell. Germany will be the hardest hit but it's exports are only 10% - they can afford to lose that. In fact they wouldn't lose all of that, because under WTO rules they can still sell their cars - just they will be 10% more expensive. Unfortunately from a British perspective "services" are treated differently. "

Britain will still prosper under WTO rules in the event of no deal. I went for a nice breakfast this morning at Wetherspoons and in Wetherspoons magazine the director general of the institute of Economic affairs Mark Littlewood had written an article saying the UK would do as well if not better out of the EU on WTO terms.

It probably doesn't matter much anyway. EU citizens are voting with their feet and passports anyway so a smaller downsized economy might be the answer all the brexit voters voted for anyway.

I can't see that pompous arse Barnier being able to agree with our own pompous arses so maybe a good old correction lies ahead where the EU is dragged down into the deep shit along with us LOL. Hurrah...... for deep shit

moston

"... so maybe a good old correction lies ahead where the EU is dragged down into the deep shit along with us LOL. Hurrah...... for deep shit"

All I can say is wow!

We have decided to leave the biggest single market in the world and jump into the economic shit. So unless the EU stop us from drowning in the shit we have decided to jump into you think we should drag the EU down with us! I have to say I think you have voiced the opinion of many millions of Brits...

And the sooner that the EU stops pandering to us takes their economic hit and destroys our economy the better! Maybe then the population of this country will wake up to the fact that for 40 years the tory party and media have been lying to us. That trickle down economics do not work because the super rich hoard wealth and cutting taxes on big business does not work and being a little country that can't feed itself, has no arms industry or military, has allowed its manufacturing industry to be bought by foreign companies and then asit stripped does not make for a great country!

God how this country needs a really good collective kicking! But don't worry unless there is a C change in our attitude I expect we will be in for a rude awakening in about 19 months time.

"The main problems are regardless of which party you support - brexit was over simplified! Just like switching a light off. There is a big difference between theory and practice. The European consenus is that the Brits have been a bunch of wingers as the Aussies would say "winging pommes". Whilst they didn't want us to leave, they have accepted it. Britain held all the power up to the actioning Article 50. Power then transferred to the EU. Britain insist that are going to get a better deal then what they have now. IF that happens the EU is dead - so it won't happen sorry. The EU will protect its existence despite what the Brits say. NL, FR have beaten the right wing movement and voted in pro EU party's. If Germany re-elect Merkel then the UK will have 2 options - take it or leave it. The Germans always moan about the Brits getting their own way - this time we won't. But only time will tell. Germany will be the hardest hit but it's exports are only 10% - they can afford to lose that. In fact they wouldn't lose all of that, because under WTO rules they can still sell their cars - just they will be 10% more expensive. Unfortunately from a British perspective "services" are treated differently.

Britain will still prosper under WTO rules in the event of no deal. I went for a nice breakfast this morning at Wetherspoons and in Wetherspoons magazine the director general of the institute of Economic affairs Mark Littlewood had written an article saying the UK would do as well if not better out of the EU on WTO terms. "

Still a load of cobblers

[Removed by poster at 03/09/17 20:43:15]

"... so maybe a good old correction lies ahead where the EU is dragged down into the deep shit along with us LOL. Hurrah...... for deep shit

All I can say is wow!

We have decided to leave the biggest single market in the world and jump into the economic shit."

south dublin

" I went for a nice breakfast this morning at Wetherspoons and in Wetherspoons magazine the director general of the institute of Economic affairs Mark Littlewood had written an article saying the UK would do as well if not better out of the EU on WTO terms. "

Anyone who believes the WTO terms are better is a complete idiot devoid of any ability to use critical thinking and completely ignorant of the facts.

Why do you think every nation is working on trade deals to improve on what the WTO has. You yourself have trumpeted the idea that new trade deals with other countries would be the reason the UK would prosper post Brexit.

Seems youre just saying whatever it is you think makes Brexit aound good.

" I went for a nice breakfast this morning at Wetherspoons and in Wetherspoons magazine the director general of the institute of Economic affairs Mark Littlewood had written an article saying the UK would do as well if not better out of the EU on WTO terms.

Anyone who believes the WTO terms are better is a complete idiot devoid of any ability to use critical thinking and completely ignorant of the facts.

Why do you think every nation is working on trade deals to improve on what the WTO has. You yourself have trumpeted the idea that new trade deals with other countries would be the reason the UK would prosper post Brexit.

Seems youre just saying whatever it is you think makes Brexit aound good."

He is

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

Have they published it?

Not the sums. But we know the reasons.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/brexit-explained/eu-divorce-bill

Using rubbish analogies it's to pay for part of the extension we agreed to build when we were still dating, the child support, and a lump sum to cover the fact we guaranteed a loan for the joint business. Plus a bit for the legal bills us leaving will cause them.

And then we can start talking about visiting rights for the kids.

"

That'll be a no then. The EU have not published it, nor any substantiation of it.

Even though they've apparently been transparent with everything else.

Swindon

They publish a lot of stuff because they have to by their own rules. I'm guessing this isn't something they have to publish. Tbh even if they did is suspect it will add no real value to you and me. The average man on the street would struggle to calculate an actuarial lump sum value of a contingent loan against polo cal and financial risks. Don't get me wrong, I bet their figure is toppy. In the same way our number is probably light. I can just see the justification for a payment of some level. And why it needs to be sorted before the real fun kicks off.

» Add a new message to this topic