FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > tax increase for Scotland

tax increase for Scotland

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Who in Scotland are unhappy with the snp tax ??

I would be ok paying my extra £ 700 pounds per year if I did not think it will be squandered.

The snp Land building transition tax ( The old stamp duty ) is going to loose £ 740 over the period of one parliment.

Further lose of tax was due in reducing Air Tax.

The whole concept of taxing MIDDLE earners more is wrong.

How does Scotland attract professionals when they are taxed less in the Ruk ?

If a person earns £ 60000 pounds per year their tax will go up appox £800.

Well they can afoard it, can't they.

What if that person has a non working partner and kids.

That large some does not sound so grand now.

I will wait on the

it is big bad Westminster fault answers.

There are regions in the RUK that can't put up tax but find ways of carrying on.

I do hope for my extra contribution I will find an improvement in Scotland or am I just paying for the free stuff ( voters bribes )

As it is only free if you don't or never have paid tax.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Don't be silly OP. Kinky has told us that Scotland doesn't have the power to raise or lower taxes. So this can't be happening.

"Don't be silly OP. Kinky has told us that Scotland doesn't have the power to raise or lower taxes. So this can't be happening."

Funny how we have a S in our tax code to denote Scotland and I did not receive the up rate in my tax allowance last year like the RUK.

Must be a figment of my imagination

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

How would you know your taxes are not being squandered as you put it - taxes cover so many things that everyone will think some element is being squandered.

As for the longer term impacts on attracting professional workers to Scotland - we'll have to see.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Don't be silly OP. Kinky has told us that Scotland doesn't have the power to raise or lower taxes. So this can't be happening."

They’ve had the option of doing this for years...just don’t tell kinky!

I would imagine Kinky is lying down in a darkened room lol

But there does need to be a way forward to help out the council and NHS employees with a wage rise...... Would it not be prudent that no one who earns over 50k receive no increase, enabling a rise for those on lower pay bands to be suitably rewarded...

I want my binman rewarded better not my council leaders

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

"I would imagine Kinky is lying down in a darkened room lol

But there does need to be a way forward to help out the council and NHS employees with a wage rise...... Would it not be prudent that no one who earns over 50k receive no increase, enabling a rise for those on lower pay bands to be suitably rewarded...

I want my binman rewarded better not my council leaders "

Do you mean just in the public sector? Of course no increase is a wage cut with inflation creeping up to 2 or 3%.

"

What if that person has a non working partner

"

.... they could try working instead

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"

.... they could try working instead "

What if they don't want to, or can't? I am the sole earner in our household. My wife stays at home and looks after the house and our 6 year old daughter. If she went out to work, we'd just end up paying for childcare. In our specific situation, my earning power is much higher than hers, and she is better and enjoys running the house. So that works best for us. However we are 'penalised' by the tax system as I am taxed at higher rate whilst her tax allowance goes un-used. There is married-couples allowance that allows a maaaaaaassive £1,150 of her tax allowance to be used by me. Crazy.

-Matt

"

What if they don't want to?

-Matt"

let's meditate on that last question shall we

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"

What if they don't want to?

-Matt

let's meditate on that last question shall we

"

?

-Matt

When I was thinking of that situation I was refering to a friend of mine.

His kids are young and they live in rural Scotland so child care is not easy to come by.

Obviously living in a rural area is more expensive as well so any tax increase effects the whole family.

I am also the sole wage earner in my house but am lucky enough to have a decent salary..But i do get your point re A no rise means effectively a pay cut due to inflation....But and its a big but the alternative is always to let the pay gap widen.. 3% wage rise on 50k is of course a lot more than 3% of 20k..So the gap widens year after year till you get to a situation where the lowest paid decide that enough is enough...and well civil unrest is the result in the many forms that can take

Give everyone the same pay rise e.g. £750 or a percentage of the lowest paid worker's salary.

I would accept that as a fair way....but we all know it wont happen the bosses are waaay too greedy for that to work... I work and have worked with some men who earn 200k who begrudge the cleaner getting the minimum wage....yes arseholes to a man...

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"I would imagine Kinky is lying down in a darkened room lol

I want my binman rewarded better not my council leaders "

I would want anyone who provides my services, including those organising them, to be suitably rewarded.

By *ardiffCoupleNJCouple  over a year ago

Pontypridd/Rhyfelin

"Who in Scotland are unhappy with the snp tax ??

I would be ok paying my extra £ 700 pounds per year if I did not think it will be squandered.

The snp Land building transition tax ( The old stamp duty ) is going to loose £ 740 over the period of one parliment.

I will wait on the

There are regions in the RUK that can't put up tax but find ways of carrying on.

I do hope for my extra contribution I will find an improvement in Scotland or am I just paying for the free stuff ( voters bribes )

As it is only free if you don't or never have paid tax."

Sorry, I just can't take this seriously.

I presume this is meant to be a joke.

£60000 is well over double the average family income in the UK.

If you can't afford to pay a little more tax a year then we might as well write off public services altogether and just say every man for themself.

I will wait on the

If you can't afford to pay a little more tax a year then we might as well write off public services altogether and just say every man for themself."

It wouldnt matter even if scottish goverment gave them tax breaks they would still moan ,and for the moaners i take it you paid your kids uni fees,never exepteted the freeze in council tax ,dont take free prescrptions dont want your bus pass when you are 60 or are you just hypocrits who just want to take take take and not pay that wee bit extra back

"I am also the sole wage earner in my house but am lucky enough to have a decent salary..But i do get your point re A no rise means effectively a pay cut due to inflation....But and its a big but the alternative is always to let the pay gap widen.. 3% wage rise on 50k is of course a lot more than 3% of 20k..So the gap widens year after year till you get to a situation where the lowest paid decide that enough is enough...and well civil unrest is the result in the many forms that can take "

The 3 % is only for ppl earning under 30 K.

2% for over that.

So someone earning 35 K will get a 2 % rise but there has has risen about 2% so they were better off last year getting 1% .

I don't know if I explained the last bit properly

I will wait on the

If you can't afford to pay a little more tax a year then we might as well write off public services altogether and just say every man for themself.

It wouldnt matter even if scottish goverment gave them tax breaks they would still moan ,and for the moaners i take it you paid your kids uni fees,never exepteted the freeze in council tax ,dont take free prescrptions dont want your bus pass when you are 60 or are you just hypocrits who just want to take take take and not pay that wee bit extra back"

There is no such thing as free...someone pays.

As Alex Salmond used to quote the more you tax the less you raise.

He demostrated that using the Laffer Curve.

Dereck Mackay the man in charge of finance had to be explaing what the Laffer Curve is.

In the next budget tax will rise again because it did not cover what was expected.

Did you know that the stamp duty replacement in Scotland raises 740 million pounds less than predicted.

How about fixing that first before taxing middle earners.

I will wait on the

It wouldnt matter even if scottish goverment gave them tax breaks they would still moan ,and for the moaners i take it you paid your kids uni fees,never exepteted the freeze in council tax ,dont take free prescrptions dont want your bus pass when you are 60 or are you just hypocrits who just want to take take take and not pay that wee bit extra back

Dereck Mackay the man in charge of finance had to be explaing what the Laffer Curve is.

In the next budget tax will rise again because it did not cover what was expected.

Did you know that the stamp duty replacement in Scotland raises 740 million pounds less than predicted.

How about fixing that first before taxing middle earners."

Nope nothing is free but at least the scottish goverment trying to help the less fortunate and not overtax as you say middle earners im pretty sure anyone on 60000 will only pay an extra 29p per week and as said earlier dont hear them complaining when they dont pay tuition fees and child care ect

I will wait on the

Nope nothing is free but at least the scottish goverment trying to help the less fortunate and not overtax as you say middle earners im pretty sure anyone on 60000 will only pay an extra 29p per week and as said earlier dont hear them complaining when they dont pay tuition fees and child care ect "

I don't know where you get your figures Ed but someone on £ 60 000 will pay an extra £ 755 pounds per year. The figures come from the Scottish government.

If you are a single earner and have a family to support and put that on top of morgage rises and inflation rises council tax rises it fare bits.

How the tax rises will affect Scotland is trying to attract professionals.

Doctors in Scotland earn less than in England.

Why would someone relocate here to get paid less and taxed more ???

I will wait on the

Nope nothing is free but at least the scottish goverment trying to help the less fortunate and not overtax as you say middle earners im pretty sure anyone on 60000 will only pay an extra 29p per week and as said earlier dont hear them complaining when they dont pay tuition fees and child care ect

I don't know where you get your figures Ed but someone on £ 60 000 will pay an extra £ 755 pounds per year. The figures come from the Scottish government.

If you are a single earner and have a family to support and put that on top of morgage rises and inflation rises council tax rises it fare bits.

Why would someone relocate here to get paid less and taxed more ???"

755 is nothing when you consider the benefits of no tuition fees child care council tax freeze the savings from not having to pay that far outwheighs paying an extra 755 per yr

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Rather than looking at the top end I think if you looked at the bottom yes they get a tax cut... but the most it could be is £20 per year per person...

So it definitely looks like a tax raid on the middle income and the richer people

"Rather than looking at the top end I think if you looked at the bottom yes they get a tax cut... but the most it could be is £20 per year per person...

So it definitely looks like a tax raid on the middle income and the richer people "

Most of the £ 20 comes from the rise in personal allowance

just smoke and mirrors.

38 pence a week ..... celebrations all round !!!!

I will wait on the

755 is nothing when you consider the benefits of no tuition fees child care council tax freeze the savings from not having to pay that far outwheighs paying an extra 755 per yr "

Personally I was not for the council tax freeze as the council took the blame for lower standards of service.

My prefernce would have been for steady adorable increases to protect local jobs and services.

As it is my council tax shot up to back till the money councils lost.

Widnes

I will wait on the

755 is nothing when you consider the benefits of no tuition fees child care council tax freeze the savings from not having to pay that far outwheighs paying an extra 755 per yr "

Well actually it doesn't. On tuition fees alone the parents (who are the ones getting paid £60,000 and paying the extra tax) don't actually pay the tuition fees, in fact no one actually pays the tuition fees except the government until the Student is earning more then £25,000.

That being said, an extra £750 a year would not persuade to go and live in Scotland so I would also guess that loosing £750 a year will not persuade many to leave either. (I have worked in Scotland in the past so don't read the fact that £750 would not persuade me to work in Scotland to mean I have something against Scotland or working there. It's just that £750 on it's own would not be the persuading factor either way)

Widnes

I think this, a bit like Labour's 'only the top 5% will pay more', is yet another attempt to sell the lie to people that they can have great public services but someone else will pay for it all. If we want truly great public services we're all going to have pay more and a lot more than a few pennies in the pound. It's easy to vote for things when you think someone else is going to have to pay but the reality is, if you want it, YOU ARE going to have to pay for it.

» Add a new message to this topic