FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The Doomsday Clock just ticked closer to midnight

The Doomsday Clock just ticked closer to midnight

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

This is the closest the Clock has ever been to Doomsday, and as close as it was in 1953, at the height of the Cold War. The farthest it's been from midnight was in 1991 as the Cold War ended when the clock was 17 minutes to midnight.

The clock has been maintained by the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists since 1947. The group was founded in 1945 by University of Chicago scientists who had helped develop the first nuclear weapons in the Manhattan Project.

The statement explaining the resetting of the time of the Doomsday Clock notes:

“In 2017, world leaders failed to respond effectively to the looming threats of nuclear war and climate change, making the world security situation more dangerous than it was a year ago — and as dangerous as it has been since World War II.

"The greatest risks last year arose in the nuclear realm. North Korea’s nuclear weapons program appeared to make remarkable progress in 2017, increasing risks for itself, other countries in the region, and the United States,"

"Hyperbolic rhetoric and provocative actions on both sides have increased the possibility of nuclear war by accident or miscalculation."

"On the climate change front, the danger may seem less immediate, but avoiding catastrophic temperature increases in the long run require urgent attention now. The nations of the world will have to significantly decrease their greenhouse gas emissions to keep climate risks manageable, and so far, the global response has fallen far short of meeting this challenge,” the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists said.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *bboredguyMan  over a year ago

aberdeen

2 minutes to midnight -great iron maiden song as well !

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Maybe it's time for Twitter to be burnt to the ground before everything else is.

Under water volcanoes

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"This is the closest the Clock has ever been to Doomsday, and as close as it was in 1953, at the height of the Cold War. The farthest it's been from midnight was in 1991 as the Cold War ended when the clock was 17 minutes to midnight.

The clock has been maintained by the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists since 1947. The group was founded in 1945 by University of Chicago scientists who had helped develop the first nuclear weapons in the Manhattan Project.

The statement explaining the resetting of the time of the Doomsday Clock notes:

“In 2017, world leaders failed to respond effectively to the looming threats of nuclear war and climate change, making the world security situation more dangerous than it was a year ago — and as dangerous as it has been since World War II.

"The greatest risks last year arose in the nuclear realm. North Korea’s nuclear weapons program appeared to make remarkable progress in 2017, increasing risks for itself, other countries in the region, and the United States,"

"Hyperbolic rhetoric and provocative actions on both sides have increased the possibility of nuclear war by accident or miscalculation."

"On the climate change front, the danger may seem less immediate, but avoiding catastrophic temperature increases in the long run require urgent attention now. The nations of the world will have to significantly decrease their greenhouse gas emissions to keep climate risks manageable, and so far, the global response has fallen far short of meeting this challenge,” the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists said.

"

Sadly very accurate I believe

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

The nice thing about the doomsday clock is it does run backwards as well as forwards...

However one has to ask how come when the birds were fuelled and the silos open during the Cuban Missile Crisis the clock was at 7 mins to midnight, why is it now at 2?

I think there may be a bit of a disconnect somewhere...

By *inkyHnSCouple  over a year ago

The Council of Elrond

AWwww damn and here was me hoping for this thread to be about The Watchmen

moston

"AWwww damn and here was me hoping for this thread to be about The Watchmen "

I miss Sam Vimes

You do know that the “Bulletin of Atomic Scientists” is basically a student magazine?

While I agree with your concern over global warming etc....these folk are about as relevant as the flat Earth society.

"AWwww damn and here was me hoping for this thread to be about The Watchmen

I miss Sam Vimes"

I am Sam Vimes!

moston

"I am Sam Vimes!"

Guess that would make me a retired Patricians black clerk (not many of us get around to retiring you know)...

"AWwww damn and here was me hoping for this thread to be about The Watchmen

I miss Sam Vimes"

Not that watchmen.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's shameful that the people who could be doing things to improve the world are those who are making it worse.

Ramping up nuclear threats and working against stopping global warming, whilst there's this very limited window of opportunity. Trump is a key figure.

By *inkyHnSCouple  over a year ago

The Council of Elrond

DC comics the Watchmen and the doomsday clock

Lol

moston

"DC comics the Watchmen and the doomsday clock

Lol"

Never really did the Marvel and DC picture book thing...

I liked real books.

Although I did have a soft spot for the Dandy and Beano.

moston

Time to sidle off into a doorway for a crafty fag break with your watch Sam...

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

"It's shameful that the people who could be doing things to improve the world are those who are making it worse.

Ramping up nuclear threats and working against stopping global warming, whilst there's this very limited window of opportunity. Trump is a key figure."

I don't know if you've checked on Fox News but that's fake news there. Trump has made the world even more bigly safe. It's now actually six weeks before midnight.

"You do know that the “Bulletin of Atomic Scientists” is basically a student magazine?

While I agree with your concern over global warming etc....these folk are about as relevant as the flat Earth society."

do they drive up and down the country spraying road signs and bridges with graffiti same as the flat earth guys?

"You do know that the “Bulletin of Atomic Scientists” is basically a student magazine?

While I agree with your concern over global warming etc....these folk are about as relevant as the flat Earth society."

Did you just compare the chair. Lawrence krauss the theoretical physicist to a flat earther. You're special kind of stupid.I think you better fuck off and Google him before you look a bigger cock

While I agree with your concern over global warming etc....these folk are about as relevant as the flat Earth society. Did you just compare the chair. Lawrence krauss the theoretical physicist to a flat earther. You're special kind of stupid.I think you better fuck off and Google him before you look a bigger cock "

Yes...I made that comparison in terms of the relevance. Because it’s a useful comparison.

Physics (in which I have a degree btw) is primarily about how the real world works. Theoretical Physics is just that...theoretical!

And thanks...but my cock is just the right size as it is!

While I agree with your concern over global warming etc....these folk are about as relevant as the flat Earth society. Did you just compare the chair. Lawrence krauss the theoretical physicist to a flat earther. You're special kind of stupid.I think you better fuck off and Google him before you look a bigger cock

Yes...I made that comparison in terms of the relevance. Because it’s a useful comparison.

Physics (in which I have a degree btw) is primarily about how the real world works. Theoretical Physics is just that...theoretical!

And thanks...but my cock is just the right size as it is!"

It's an irrelevant comparison used to dismiss a group of intellectuals but spin your bullshit anyway you like.Its anti intellectism.Which is standard from trumpamzees and brexiters these days.

But you assume I am one of those. And I am neither. Sinking to name calling is the ultimate lack of intellectual argument.

Did somebody do that to you will?

moston

"Did somebody do that to you will?"

It has been know to happen to any with left leaning views...

» Add a new message to this topic