FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The northen ireland border

The northen ireland border

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Companies doubt a solution to frontier with republic of ireland can be found in time and a study have showed that a hard brexit would cost irish economy €18bn, what do you reckon will happen to the border situation?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

It will bring down the current Government.

By *utandbigMan  over a year ago

Bournemouth

"It will bring down the current Government."

Torture party wil disperse

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Brexit as voted for will not happen.

We'll get a watered down brown diarrhea of a mess that the government will champion as Brexit and probably nobody will be happy with it.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"Brexit as voted for will not happen.

We'll get a watered down brown diarrhea of a mess that the government will champion as Brexit and probably nobody will be happy with it. "

Most of the pre-election brexit promises were lies. Otherwise, there wasn't an exact plan for Brexit, because the Conservatives never had one - still don't seem to have one.

If the UK remains in a customs union with the EU, then a hard border is not needed.

reac

In any event, the UK government were supposed to have reached agreement on what would happen post-brexit, last December, in order to move to the current stage 2 of the negotiations. They should not be agreeing one thing with the EU and then reneging on their agreements during the talks.

Yeah, didn't the EU say "enough progress" had been reached to start on stage 2 but fundamental issues were still to be resolved.

So stage 2 can still easily totally stall if the left overs from stage 1 do not get agreement on both sides.

Central

"Yeah, didn't the EU say "enough progress" had been reached to start on stage 2 but fundamental issues were still to be resolved.

So stage 2 can still easily totally stall if the left overs from stage 1 do not get agreement on both sides. "

Most people would reasonably assume that they had a definite, realistic plan that they had consulted on.

As they are seemingly now at high risk or being late, it's no surprise that there is no confidence in the government or brexit process anywhere.

Bristol East

The stage one language makes clear that it is up to the UK to find a solution to the border issue, failing which NI stays in the single market and customs union.

The UK has not put forward an alternative, so the EU is adopting the fallback position agreed last year.

Cat. Among. Pigeons

"The stage one language makes clear that it is up to the UK to find a solution to the border issue, failing which NI stays in the single market and customs union.

The UK has not put forward an alternative, so the EU is adopting the fallback position agreed last year.

Cat. Among. Pigeons"

Creek shit a up paddle without (rearrange these words)?

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

The border issue is settled. NI remains in a customs union with the EU unless the Tories somehow come up with a last minute proposal thats acceptable to the DUP, Sinn Fein, ROI and Torys and EU. Which isnt going to happen. And no talk of the magic technological solution is going to change that because its already been rejected.

Central

It seems more sensible for the whole UK to remain in a customs union surely, rather than just one part of it, NI.

By *exmark12Man  over a year ago

Rathcoole/Roscommon/Mayo

Easy solution Irish Unity The Unionists have held several UK Government s by the goolies It Has cost UK thousands of lives and millions of pounds so time to have a realistic chat with the Elephant in the room

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Brexit as voted for will not happen.

We'll get a watered down brown diarrhea of a mess that the government will champion as Brexit and probably nobody will be happy with it.

Most of the pre-election brexit promises were lies. Otherwise, there wasn't an exact plan for Brexit, because the Conservatives never had one - still don't seem to have one.

If the UK remains in a customs union with the EU, then a hard border is not needed.

reac

In any event, the UK government were supposed to have reached agreement on what would happen post-brexit, last December, in order to move to the current stage 2 of the negotiations. They should not be agreeing one thing with the EU and then reneging on their agreements during the talks.

"

Nobody had a plan for brexit as nobody in any party thought it would happen,why mention a party?

upton wirral

Sadly I think terrorism will return to Ireland this is the biggest downside of leaving the EU I hope and prey they find a solution

By *vsnikkiTV/TS  over a year ago

Limavady

"Sadly I think terrorism will return to Ireland this is the biggest downside of leaving the EU I hope and prey they find a solution"

It's never left. All the major paramilitary organizations still exist. Just last night there was a bomb attack. It's not because of leaving the EU.

upton wirral

"Sadly I think terrorism will return to Ireland this is the biggest downside of leaving the EU I hope and prey they find a solution

It's never left. All the major paramilitary organizations still exist. Just last night there was a bomb attack. It's not because of leaving the EU."

Yes your right of course but may escalate

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

looks like boris johnson has finally conceded that there will have to be a border if the leak tonight is confirmed......

"the mission should be to keep as soft a "hard border" as possible!"

if that is the case.... how does that admission change the game?

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"looks like boris johnson has finally conceded that there will have to be a border if the leak tonight is confirmed......

if that is the case.... how does that admission change the game?"

It will certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons considering that the deal secured by handshake in December was supposed to prevent just this. Rather juicily, and with adept timing, the first draft of the withdrawal bill will be published by the EU tomorrow.

"looks like boris johnson has finally conceded that there will have to be a border if the leak tonight is confirmed......

if that is the case.... how does that admission change the game?"

it won't .... the fat controller is a loose cannon than mrs maygabe is to weak to do anything about .... he will just continue to be a fetid turd that refuses to flush ... and so the clown car with no wheels that is the tory party will bumble along regardless

Central

it won't .... the fat controller is a loose cannon than mrs maygabe is to weak to do anything about .... he will just continue to be a fetid turd that refuses to flush ... and so the clown car with no wheels that is the tory party will bumble along regardless"

They had their expensive away day last week, so they lasted a few days before they started to reveal their true colours again.

They can paper over the cracks but still remain a party without a coherent plan - and yet they individually see themselves as superior.

Article 50 should not have been submitted without them having a clear understanding of their goals and a plan.

The NI border remaining open is no surprise as a priority requirement, however these Muppets try to pretend that it does not matter.

There will be no transition period if the conservatives don't conclude satisfactory agreement, leaving businesses to relocate business quickly overseas.

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

it won't .... the fat controller is a loose cannon than mrs maygabe is to weak to do anything about .... he will just continue to be a fetid turd that refuses to flush ... and so the clown car with no wheels that is the tory party will bumble along regardless

They had their expensive away day last week, so they lasted a few days before they started to reveal their true colours again.

They can paper over the cracks but still remain a party without a coherent plan - and yet they individually see themselves as superior.

Article 50 should not have been submitted without them having a clear understanding of their goals and a plan.

The NI border remaining open is no surprise as a priority requirement, however these Muppets try to pretend that it does not matter.

There will be no transition period if the conservatives don't conclude satisfactory agreement, leaving businesses to relocate business quickly overseas."

Where's the problem? Bojo reckons it's just like the London charging zone.....

He's the gift that keeps giving

"Sadly I think terrorism will return to Ireland this is the biggest downside of leaving the EU I hope and prey they find a solution"

why do you fear Terrorism will return to Ireland

Central

"Sadly I think terrorism will return to Ireland this is the biggest downside of leaving the EU I hope and prey they find a solution

why do you fear Terrorism will return to Ireland"

A key factor would be Conservative government action.

The posh one doesn't care about anything other than himself. May could also follow suit, to keep her extremist members happy

A hard border would contravene the Good Friday agreement, however not implementing one would contravene the EU policy. Now going for EAA/EFTA and implementing article 112 of EAA would solve most problems and would provide a starting point to disengage from 40 odd years of the EU. See FLEXCIT and what Richard North has to say on the subject.

By *eefyBangerMan  over a year ago

edinburgh

How long until the snow is blamed on the Brexit referendum victory

By *ustJ0dieTV/TS  over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

"How long until the snow is blamed on the Brexit referendum victory "

Well put simply, after Brexit we will be able to generate our own shit weather, instead of having to import it from Eastern Europe.

upton wirral

why do you fear Terrorism will return to Ireland"

Well I am no expert but from what I here it does occur more than we here about in the rest of the UK,and just feel that the fractions thatnt terrorism would a way to use a closed border as an excuse in someway.I am no exoert I admit but it is an intuition

upton wirral

"A hard border would contravene the Good Friday agreement, however not implementing one would contravene the EU policy. Now going for EAA/EFTA and implementing article 112 of EAA would solve most problems and would provide a starting point to disengage from 40 odd years of the EU. See FLEXCIT and what Richard North has to say on the subject."
The Eu has stated that they the respect the Good Friday agreement and it will hold so good news all round another kick in the balls for the remainers then

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"A hard border would contravene the Good Friday agreement, however not implementing one would contravene the EU policy. Now going for EAA/EFTA and implementing article 112 of EAA would solve most problems and would provide a starting point to disengage from 40 odd years of the EU. See FLEXCIT and what Richard North has to say on the subject.The Eu has stated that they the respect the Good Friday agreement and it will hold so good news all round another kick in the balls for the remainers then"

Can you name one other international border anywhere in the world, between 2 countries that are not in a customs union, that doesn't have a hard border?

The head of the WTO can't.

By *icklybitMan  over a year ago

Ayrshire

Vatican?

Bristol East

We tend to see the border issue only from our side.

If the UK diverges from EU standards and agrees trade relations with third parties selling inferior goods - chlorinated chicken from the US is one example - a hard border is inevitable, to prevent sub-standard products being repackaged in the UK and sold into the EU. The EU will protect the single market.

why do you fear Terrorism will return to IrelandWell I am no expert but from what I here it does occur more than we here about in the rest of the UK,and just feel that the fractions thatnt terrorism would a way to use a closed border as an excuse in someway.I am no exoert I admit but it is an intuition"

so are you saying the Irish both North & South are unstable, cannot live with one another?

Bristol East

It’s what happens when you put up barriers between people and divide communities. It is what a majority in England and Wales wanted - to re-erect all sorts of barriers none of us has seen for decades.

"We tend to see the border issue only from our side.

If the UK diverges from EU standards and agrees trade relations with third parties selling inferior goods - chlorinated chicken from the US is one example - a hard border is inevitable, to prevent sub-standard products being repackaged in the UK and sold into the EU. The EU will protect the single market."

Then surely it is up to the EU to provide this hard border, should they wish it so much

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

If the UK diverges from EU standards and agrees trade relations with third parties selling inferior goods - chlorinated chicken from the US is one example - a hard border is inevitable, to prevent sub-standard products being repackaged in the UK and sold into the EU. The EU will protect the single market.

Then surely it is up to the EU to provide this hard border, should they wish it so much"

Sure. Why not. They probably don't want the chlorine washed chicken and toys with rubble in

Central

I think few of us, including the EU, can rely too much on what the Conservative government says, as they'll say something early in the day and by evening several of their extremist members have said different things. Even the December agreement was contradicted by some of them within not many hours.

The hard won Good Friday Agreement should be preserved for peace in the UK as paramount - there are no surprises, as this has been uppermost within the negotiations and known since the start of the process. To have the despicable boris and others entertain that a hard border could not be so very different from congestion charges just screams that these people treat others with contempt, in order to further their own ego inflation and career prospects.

The UK is on borrowed time to make progress, with just a limited number of weeks before the EU countries must formally accept the offer with the UK and UK sovereignty to accept the deal, following it being voted upon at least in government. Otherwise there will be no transition period and businesses must be ready to have their operations interact, including provision of goods and services, with other European countries. This latter would hint at a hard brexit/no deal would mean catastrophe for employment, business and the island of Ireland's wellbeing.

Then surely it is up to the EU to provide this hard border, should they wish it so much

Sure. Why not. They probably don't want the chlorine washed chicken and toys with rubble in "

nothing wrong with chlorine washed chicken son

and glad you agree its up to the EU once we leave, to provide the border it wishes.

West London

That won't help the UK or the Northern Ireland peace deal.

Simple solutions for simple people. That means you

"That won't help the UK or the Northern Ireland peace deal.

Simple solutions for simple people. That means you "

doesn't effect me son, shouldn't really effect any honest living person, don't you agree

West London

doesn't effect me son, shouldn't really effect any honest living person, don't you agree"

It will effect lots of honest living people in Ireland and Northern Ireland if they cannot travel and trade as freely as they used to.

Don't you agree?

doesn't effect me son, shouldn't really effect any honest living person, don't you agree

It will effect lots of honest living people in Ireland and Northern Ireland if they cannot travel and trade as freely as they used to.

Don't you agree?"

I was replying to your comment on peace deal, do you not agree the peace deal should not effect any honest living person

West London

Don't you agree?

I was replying to your comment on peace deal, do you not agree the peace deal should not effect any honest living person"

Terrorist organisations fund themselves through criminality. A hard border with a scarcity of products on one side encourages criminality. This allows small groups, which still exist, to grow.

If terrorist acts become a more common occurrence again because of this and the resentment caused at physically splitting Ireland again then onset living people will have a lot to worry about.

Simpleton.

Don't you agree?

I was replying to your comment on peace deal, do you not agree the peace deal should not effect any honest living person

Terrorist organisations fund themselves through criminality. A hard border with a scarcity of products on one side encourages criminality. This allows small groups, which still exist, to grow.

If terrorist acts become a more common occurrence again because of this and the resentment caused at physically splitting Ireland again then onset living people will have a lot to worry about.

Simpleton."

so you agree, the peace deal should not effect any "honest living person"

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Don't you agree?

Simpleton.

so you agree, the peace deal should not effect any "honest living person""

Are you trying to suggest that no honest or living people were affected by terrorism? That the people killed and injured and their families weren't honest?

As a result of the UK government not giving a plan regarding the border, the EU have put forward the last resort option. Given the brexit vote in 2016, Article 50 in March 17 still nothing in writing from the UK show exactly what a shambles it really is! All talk and no action and loads of spin what a let down to the population of the UK. Absolute disgrace!

Central

doesn't effect me son, shouldn't really effect any honest living person, don't you agree"

I imagine that relatives and people who have known the scores of dead and injured throughout the troubles who, just for example, were in mainland UK attacks, would have serious argument with your statement about honest people getting harmed. I can't imagine any sane minded people would even think of saying that to the families of children killed in Warrington, as a specific example.

[Removed by poster at 28/02/18 20:20:29]

A 500 kg van bomb won't take into account if your honest or not , and that's what's going to be parked out side of offices of uk customs in northern ireland , if the uk think they are putting a hard border back , seriously seriously think again ,

There are too many hard line republicans on this island and bits so many British soldiers any more

A 500 kg van bomb won't take into account if your honest or not , and that's what's going to be parked out side of offices of uk customs in northern ireland , if the uk think they are putting a hard border back , seriously seriously think again ,

There are too many hard line republicans on this island and bits so many British soldiers any more"

Why do you think it has to be UK customs!!

If the EU want a border then it is up to the EU to man it.

Full stop.

and who exactly would be planting these bombs?

it sounds like you are very much in agreement

West London

There are too many hard line republicans on this island and bits so many British soldiers any more

Full stop.

it sounds like you are very much in agreement"

I thought one of the main reasons for Brexit was to stop immigrants?

Don't we want to do that from Ireland then?

Full stop.

it sounds like you are very much in agreement"

the eu didn't cause this mess it's the complete responsibility of the uk government the same uk government that signed up to the good Friday agreement , they will be the instigation of the border being brought back , they will be seen as the cause of new decisions on the island and they will be seen as targets , as to who will make and plant the bombs the people that were there before the good Friday agreement and decommissioning ant gone anywhere they are still there ,

British government are complete idiots , they want to take back control of there borders , to stop immigration , yet Boris says 95% of traffic will pass through the irish border unchecked , so 100 bus loads of immigrants go up north from the south the first 95 busses go straight through no stop they stop 5 , lol that's really taking back control , idiots

If they put hard border back in the island they tare up the good Friday agreement kick the republicans in the face and then expect them not to react , idiots

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

Full stop.

it sounds like you are very much in agreementthe eu didn't cause this mess it's the complete responsibility of the uk government the same uk government that signed up to the good Friday agreement , they will be the instigation of the border being brought back , they will be seen as the cause of new decisions on the island and they will be seen as targets , as to who will make and plant the bombs the people that were there before the good Friday agreement and decommissioning ant gone anywhere they are still there , "

Wrong, the UK don't want a border in Northern Ireland/Rep of Ireland. It's the EU who are insisting on a border on the edge of their customs union. As Cask said if the EU want a border on their customs union they can man it with EU staff.

Full stop.

it sounds like you are very much in agreementthe eu didn't cause this mess it's the complete responsibility of the uk government the same uk government that signed up to the good Friday agreement , they will be the instigation of the border being brought back , they will be seen as the cause of new decisions on the island and they will be seen as targets , as to who will make and plant the bombs the people that were there before the good Friday agreement and decommissioning ant gone anywhere they are still there ,

Wrong, the UK don't want a border in Northern Ireland/Rep of Ireland. It's the EU who are insisting on a border on the edge of their customs union. As Cask said if the EU want a border on their customs union they can man it with EU staff. "

So how dose the uk stop illegal immigration ? If you have an open border any one at all can enter the uk through Ireland ???

Cannock

Full stop.

it sounds like you are very much in agreementthe eu didn't cause this mess it's the complete responsibility of the uk government the same uk government that signed up to the good Friday agreement , they will be the instigation of the border being brought back , they will be seen as the cause of new decisions on the island and they will be seen as targets , as to who will make and plant the bombs the people that were there before the good Friday agreement and decommissioning ant gone anywhere they are still there ,

Wrong, the UK don't want a border in Northern Ireland/Rep of Ireland. It's the EU who are insisting on a border on the edge of their customs union. As Cask said if the EU want a border on their customs union they can man it with EU staff.

So how dose the uk stop illegal immigration ? If you have an open border any one at all can enter the uk through Ireland ???"

Ireland is a special case because of the good Friday agreement. Exceptions and compromises will be made for Ireland and Ireland alone. Even Barnier recognises this and said yesterday keeping the good Friday agreement and peace is a priority for the EU. As I said though the UK has stated it doesn't want a hard border, it's the EU who are insisting on a hard border on the edge of its customs union.

Full stop.

So how dose the uk stop illegal immigration ? If you have an open border any one at all can enter the uk through Ireland ???

Ireland is a special case because of the good Friday agreement. Exceptions and compromises will be made for Ireland and Ireland alone. Even Barnier recognises this and said yesterday keeping the good Friday agreement and peace is a priority for the EU. As I said though the UK has stated it doesn't want a hard border, it's the EU who are insisting on a hard border on the edge of its customs union. "

You haven't answered my question it was very simple ,

Q.How will the uk prevent illegal immigrants entering the uk through Ireland,???

West London

Full stop.

Ireland is a special case because of the good Friday agreement. Exceptions and compromises will be made for Ireland and Ireland alone. Even Barnier recognises this and said yesterday keeping the good Friday agreement and peace is a priority for the EU. As I said though the UK has stated it doesn't want a hard border, it's the EU who are insisting on a hard border on the edge of its customs union.

Q.How will the uk prevent illegal immigrants entering the uk through Ireland,???

"

Centaur won't answer. It's not in bumper book of Brexit phrases.

He will dodge and distract from now on

the brextremists are busy shitting their pants on account of them begining to realise that brexit is undeliverable and the whole brexit thing is just a pathetic waste of time, energy and money

"the brextremists are busy shitting their pants on account of them begining to realise that brexit is undeliverable and the whole brexit thing is just a pathetic waste of time, energy and money"
I agree completely , but how much damage are they prepared to cause on there way to self destruction ,

Cannock

Full stop.

"

Well that's up for negotiation in phase 2 of the talks isn't it. The UK has put forward proposals about having an invisible remotely monitored border with tech such as number plate recognition technology, but in typical EU fashion they seek to delay and reject any solution the UK puts forward out of hand.

Cannock

Full stop.

Centaur won't answer. It's not in bumper book of Brexit phrases.

He will dodge and distract from now on "

Just answered, see above. Sorry if it wasn't quick enough for you but I don't spend my life on here like you appear to.

Cannock

"the brextremists are busy shitting their pants on account of them begining to realise that brexit is undeliverable and the whole brexit thing is just a pathetic waste of time, energy and money"

Seem to recall the same thing being said by the negative pessimists and the naysayers during phase 1, then low and behold a deal was reached on phase 1. That must have really annoyed you.

"

Seem to recall the same thing being said by the negative pessimists and the naysayers during phase 1, then low and behold a deal was reached on phase 1. That must have really annoyed you. "

go sort yourself out with some bog roll

West London

Full stop.

Well that's up for negotiation in phase 2 of the talks isn't it. The UK has put forward proposals about having an invisible remotely monitored border with tech such as number plate recognition technology, but in typical EU fashion they seek to delay and reject any solution the UK puts forward out of hand. "

To prevent illegal immigrants?

No Centaur. The Emperor's New clothes border control system, should it come to pass, would be to allow pre-documented lorries.

It won't stop smuggling in vans and cars.

It won't stop illegal immigrants.

Think. Then try again.

West London

"the brextremists are busy shitting their pants on account of them begining to realise that brexit is undeliverable and the whole brexit thing is just a pathetic waste of time, energy and money

Seem to recall the same thing being said by the negative pessimists and the naysayers during phase 1, then low and behold a deal was reached on phase 1. That must have really annoyed you. "

You haven't noticed Phase 1 unravelling?

That's what this entire thread is about. You do get that don't you?

Cannock

"

Seem to recall the same thing being said by the negative pessimists and the naysayers during phase 1, then low and behold a deal was reached on phase 1. That must have really annoyed you.

go sort yourself out with some bog roll"

Would rather use an EU flag.

brextremists now need to concentrate on cleaning the mess they've made from shitting their pants over brexit being an utter fiasco

Cannock

Full stop.

Well that's up for negotiation in phase 2 of the talks isn't it. The UK has put forward proposals about having an invisible remotely monitored border with tech such as number plate recognition technology, but in typical EU fashion they seek to delay and reject any solution the UK puts forward out of hand.

No Centaur. The Emperor's New clothes border control system, should it come to pass, would be to allow pre-documented lorries.

Think. Then try again."

Nothing is 100% foolproof. Even if you had a hard border with checkpoints and armed guards at specific points illegal immigrants could still cross the border in the middle of fields, woods or remote countryside. All legal residents on the island of Ireland can be checked by vehicle recognition technology by number plates being stored on a database. The technology already exits.

Think. Then try again.

If the UK Government is leaving the EU and creating a border between Ireland & Northern Ireland then how the hell is it the EU's mess to even get in to?

The UK has created this fuck up, its the UK's job to unfuck it.

Cannock

"the brextremists are busy shitting their pants on account of them begining to realise that brexit is undeliverable and the whole brexit thing is just a pathetic waste of time, energy and money

That's what this entire thread is about. You do get that don't you?"

Phase 1 isn't unravelling. Maybe wishful thinking on your part there. Today's document released by the EU is a 'draft' document. You do understand what a draft document means don't you?

basically i don't give a fuck what happens either way, but it's highly amusing and massively entertaining watching the brextremists having to deal with crying and sniveling in their shit filled pants due to brextit being a complete and utter debarcle

West London

"

Think. Then try again.

Nothing is 100% foolproof. Even if you had a hard border with checkpoints and armed guards at specific points illegal immigrants could still cross the border in the middle of fields, woods or remote countryside. All legal residents on the island of Ireland can be checked by vehicle recognition technology by number plates being stored on a database. The technology already exits.

Think. Then try again. "

Centaur, all you have just said is that any Irish vehicle would be able to freely cross the border.

This system means that you don't even have to bother crossing a field. 100% porous.

Do you think that a Syrian refugee desperate to come to our land of milk and honey will be driving a Syrian registered car?

What if he's in the back of a van?

What about contraband?

You don't actually have to track the legal people and migrants. Borders exist to restrict what you don't want.

You do understand that don't you?

How about just thinking?

West London

Phase 1 isn't unravelling. Maybe wishful thinking on your part there. Today's document released by the EU is a 'draft' document. You do understand what a draft document means don't you? "

What are you talking about? This is nothing to do with the EU draft document.

This is about the UK government, US, not being able to explain how we will have a frictionless border whilst operating different trade agreements.

This about Leave supporters explaining how they prevent the illegal transport of goods and people across an open border.

How will we have "taken back control" if one of our borders is open?

There is no point arguing with people that are too thick to know how an external border works ,

Cannock

Phase 1 isn't unravelling. Maybe wishful thinking on your part there. Today's document released by the EU is a 'draft' document. You do understand what a draft document means don't you?

This is about the UK government, US, not being able to explain how we will have a frictionless border whilst operating different trade agreements.

This about Leave supporters explaining how they prevent the illegal transport of goods and people across an open border.

How will we have "taken back control" if one of our borders is open?"

And as I said earlier it's all open for negotiation in phase 2 of the talks. Brexit backing Conservative MP Bill Cash has just been on BBC Newsnight a few moments ago discussing this very issue. Differences already exist between Ireland and Northern Ireland such as use of the £ on one side of the border and use of the € on the other, different rates of tax on either side of the border, different Health care systems on either side and so on and so on, the list is pretty much endless with the differences which already exist and have done so for many years before the EU referendum. Still people manage to live side by side with those existing differences. The UK has already put forward perfectly reasonable and implementable solutions to the border problem. Bill Cash also just referenced a Swedish border expert who has looked at it and has said it's a perfectly manageable situation. As Bill Cash just said this is for the most part a synthetic argument created by the EU to throw the negotiations into difficulty because they don't like the result of the referendum and they don't want us to Leave so they are being as difficult as possible also to try to deter others from leaving in future.

Cannock

"

Think. Then try again.

Think. Then try again.

Centaur, all you have just said is that any Irish vehicle would be able to freely cross the border.

This system means that you don't even have to bother crossing a field. 100% porous.

Do you think that a Syrian refugee desperate to come to our land of milk and honey will be driving a Syrian registered car?

What about contraband?

You don't actually have to track the legal people and migrants. Borders exist to restrict what you don't want.

How about just thinking?"

How does the illegal Syrian refugee get from Syria or mainland Europe into Rep. of Ireland then? In case you hadn't noticed Ireland is an Island, try looking at it on a map. Are you suggesting they swim or paddle over on a boat? Illegal immigrants have extreme difficulty getting from Calais to Dover currently and that is a very small body of water compared to the distance between mainland Europe and Ireland. Just like the EU, you appear to be looking for problems that simply don't exist.

North West

The Irish / NI border will become a smugglers paradise if the Brexiters get a their own way. Varied tariffs will be inevitable if the U.K. diverges and there are people who will exploit this.

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

And as I said earlier it's all open for negotiation in phase 2 of the talks. Brexit backing Conservative MP Bill Cash has just been on BBC Newsnight a few moments ago discussing this very issue. Differences already exist between Ireland and Northern Ireland such as use of the £ on one side of the border and use of the € on the other, different rates of tax on either side of the border, different Health care systems on either side and so on and so on, the list is pretty much endless with the differences which already exist and have done so for many years before the EU referendum. Still people manage to live side by side with those existing differences. The UK has already put forward perfectly reasonable and implementable solutions to the border problem. Bill Cash also just referenced a Swedish border expert who has looked at it and has said it's a perfectly manageable situation. As Bill Cash just said this is for the most part a synthetic argument created by the EU to throw the negotiations into difficulty because they don't like the result of the referendum and they don't want us to Leave so they are being as difficult as possible also to try to deter others from leaving in future. "

You do know that the Swedish/Norway border is between two countries in the single market dont you? So how the hell is that like ROI/NI ?

Don’t forget that the EU faces the same problem too. Ireland is one of the more likely countries to follow us out of the EU. Doesn’t the Eire/NI border situation put more pressure on the EU to ultimately agree a trade agreement in order to avoid fragmentation? Then there can be a theoretical hard border (not in reality enforced at the border but involving the return of individuals to their state from which they entered) to deal with migration but without the political and economic issues.

Central

Full stop.

Well that's up for negotiation in phase 2 of the talks isn't it. The UK has put forward proposals about having an invisible remotely monitored border with tech such as number plate recognition technology, but in typical EU fashion they seek to delay and reject any solution the UK puts forward out of hand. "

Specific, detailed propositions have not been formally delivered to the EU. The EU have invited the UK to get a move on, as the small amount of time left is being wasted by UK inactivity.

The EU want an open border, with a fall back contingency measure of NI being within an EU customs arrangements/union.

There has been a dearth of official submissions from the UK to the EU, unlike the leaked shite from the likes of Boris.

West London

"

Think. Then try again.

Think. Then try again.

What about contraband?

How about just thinking?

How does the illegal Syrian refugee get from Syria or mainland Europe into Rep. of Ireland then? In case you hadn't noticed Ireland is an Island, try looking at it on a map. Are you suggesting they swim or paddle over on a boat? Illegal immigrants have extreme difficulty getting from Calais to Dover currently and that is a very small body of water compared to the distance between mainland Europe and Ireland. Just like the EU, you appear to be looking for problems that simply don't exist. "

How did they get to France from Africa. The Mediterranean is quite a large body if water.

Why do we have UK customs to cross the Channel or for European flights? Why aren't we part of the Shengen agreement?

Still no answer for preventing illegal immigrants or goods across an invisible external border then?

Just like any Brexiteer you are unable to see a single flaw in your dreams of returning to a mythical golden past.

West London

"Don’t forget that the EU faces the same problem too. Ireland is one of the more likely countries to follow us out of the EU. Doesn’t the Eire/NI border situation put more pressure on the EU to ultimately agree a trade agreement in order to avoid fragmentation? Then there can be a theoretical hard border (not in reality enforced at the border but involving the return of individuals to their state from which they entered) to deal with migration but without the political and economic issues."

Based in what information? It was apparently Greece, then the Netherlands. Now Ireland.

Why would they tie themselves to the UK? It's served them poorly in the past.

The EU is fully supporting Ireland, we are not. We have precipitated the problem and that is the perception everywhere outside Brexitland. Everyone is asking for our solution. We signed the bloody peace accord and are the ones about to break it.

The UK is about to violate a peace treaty.

This is important.

West London

"

And as I said earlier it's all open for negotiation in phase 2 of the talks. Brexit backing Conservative MP Bill Cash has just been on BBC Newsnight a few moments ago discussing this very issue. Differences already exist between Ireland and Northern Ireland such as use of the £ on one side of the border and use of the € on the other, different rates of tax on either side of the border, different Health care systems on either side and so on and so on, the list is pretty much endless with the differences which already exist and have done so for many years before the EU referendum. Still people manage to live side by side with those existing differences. The UK has already put forward perfectly reasonable and implementable solutions to the border problem. Bill Cash also just referenced a Swedish border expert who has looked at it and has said it's a perfectly manageable situation. As Bill Cash just said this is for the most part a synthetic argument created by the EU to throw the negotiations into difficulty because they don't like the result of the referendum and they don't want us to Leave so they are being as difficult as possible also to try to deter others from leaving in future. "

Again: How will we have "taken back control" if one of our borders is open?

We are currently IN A SINGLE market. All external tariffs and all standards are common. They are free to travel and receive medical care. The apparent purpose of Brexit is to CHANGE that.

No one has claimed that currency exchange is a problem.

You are essentially claiming that a completely new set of circumstances will be fine because the current ones, which we don't like, work

"

Think. Then try again.

Think. Then try again.

What about contraband?

How about just thinking?

How does the illegal Syrian refugee get from Syria or mainland Europe into Rep. of Ireland then? In case you hadn't noticed Ireland is an Island, try looking at it on a map. Are you suggesting they swim or paddle over on a boat? Illegal immigrants have extreme difficulty getting from Calais to Dover currently and that is a very small body of water compared to the distance between mainland Europe and Ireland. Just like the EU, you appear to be looking for problems that simply don't exist.

How did they get to France from Africa. The Mediterranean is quite a large body if water.

Why do we have UK customs to cross the Channel or for European flights? Why aren't we part of the Shengen agreement?

Still no answer for preventing illegal immigrants or goods across an invisible external border then?

Just like any Brexiteer you are unable to see a single flaw in your dreams of returning to a mythical golden past."

get a bloody grip, there is a big difference between the Mediterranean and North Sea / Irish sea, temperature for one security for two and bloody extreame weather for three

how many boats of refugees do you here of right now landing on the shores of UK or indeed Irish shores

looks like your having a walter mitty moment.

anyway; more important?

anyone heard any more on the plane crash in Ireland just now? cant see any news reports so far

"

Think. Then try again.

Think. Then try again.

What about contraband?

How about just thinking?

Just like any Brexiteer you are unable to see a single flaw in your dreams of returning to a mythical golden past.

get a bloody grip, there is a big difference between the Mediterranean and North Sea / Irish sea, temperature for one security for two and bloody extreame weather for three

how many boats of refugees do you here of right now landing on the shores of UK or indeed Irish shores

looks like your having a walter mitty moment.

anyway; more important?

anyone heard any more on the plane crash in Ireland just now? cant see any news reports so far"

Well a right wing newspaper reckons 3,000 illegal immigrants arrive each week!

Thank god for BBC news; found an update on the crash.

BREAKING NEWS; BREAKING NEWS

Ireland’s worst air disaster occurred last night when a small four seater plane crashed into a cemetery.

Irish search & Rescue workers have recovered 987 bodies so far, but they expect the numbers to climb as digging continues into the night.

A spokes person has announced they will be leaving a skeleton crew working through the night and full search continues in morning.

Bristol East

"

The UK has already put forward perfectly reasonable and implementable solutions to the border problem. "

The agreement between the UK and EU states that, unless the UK comes up with an acceptable solution, the fallback position is that NI remains in the customs union.

Can you point me to the solution you say has been put forward?

"The Irish / NI border will become a smugglers paradise if the Brexiters get a their own way. Varied tariffs will be inevitable if the U.K. diverges and there are people who will exploit this."

Your dead right , I honestly can't wait have van bought I'm ready and waiting the taught of the proposed border "frictionless " I have been having wet dreams ever since the idea was brought up

Why dont northern ireland divorse themselves from great britain? That would be a lot easier for both ireland and eu

Cannock

"

The UK has already put forward perfectly reasonable and implementable solutions to the border problem.

The agreement between the UK and EU states that, unless the UK comes up with an acceptable solution, the fallback position is that NI remains in the customs union.

"

The UK and Brexit secretary David Davis have said they are aiming for a Canada Style free trade deal with the EU in these negotiations. The Canada trade deal with the EU has removed 97% of tariffs on goods. So goods will be able cross the border largely tariff free under a Canada style trade agreement. So that is the goods aspect covered. To monitor people on the island of Ireland crossing the border all registered vehicles on the island of Ireland will go into a database and number plate recognition technology will invisibly and remotely monitor the flow of vehicles (and people who are the registered owners of those vehicles) over the border. Border points on roads can also be monitored invisibly and remotely with cctv cameras. As for illegal immigrants this is a nonsensical strawman argument created by remainers as any illegal immigrants or refugees wanting to get into the UK would just take the much more straightforward and shorter route of crossing from France straight into the England. The idea that they would cross from France to Rep. of Ireland, then from Rep. of Ireland into Northern Ireland then would have to make another illegal sea crossing to get to Wales, England or Scotland is just farcical in the extreme.

Remainers complain that a Canada style trade deal doesn't include financial services but the UK is aiming for a 'Canada plus plus' (in the words of David Davis) which includes financial services. The financial services aspect of the deal won't affect the border as it's only trade in goods that need a physical border crossing. Financial services and transactions don't require a physical border crossing as they are done electronically online.

North West

"

The UK has already put forward perfectly reasonable and implementable solutions to the border problem.

The UK and Brexit secretary David Davis have said they are aiming for a Canada Style free trade deal with the EU in these negotiations. The Canada trade deal with the EU has removed 97% of tariffs on goods. So goods will be able cross the border largely tariff free under a Canada style trade agreement. So that is the goods aspect covered. To monitor people on the island of Ireland crossing the border all registered vehicles on the island of Ireland will go into a database and number plate recognition technology will invisibly and remotely monitor the flow of vehicles (and people who are the registered owners of those vehicles) over the border. Border points on roads can also be monitored invisibly and remotely with cctv cameras. As for illegal immigrants this is a nonsensical strawman argument created by remainers as any illegal immigrants or refugees wanting to get into the UK would just take the much more straightforward and shorter route of crossing from France straight into the England. The idea that they would cross from France to Rep. of Ireland, then from Rep. of Ireland into Northern Ireland then would have to make another illegal sea crossing to get to Wales, England or Scotland is just farcical in the extreme.

Remainers complain that a Canada style trade deal doesn't include financial services but the UK is aiming for a 'Canada plus plus' (in the words of David Davis) which includes financial services. The financial services aspect of the deal won't affect the border as it's only trade in goods that need a physical border crossing. Financial services and transactions don't require a physical border crossing as they are done electronically online. "

Someone else does not know the difference between a free trade agreement and a single market.

"Why dont northern ireland divorse themselves from great britain? That would be a lot easier for both ireland and eu "
Exactly ! Independent Northern Ireland , Wales , Scotland , and England , what's not to like ??

"Why dont northern ireland divorse themselves from great britain? That would be a lot easier for both ireland and eu "

and for the rest of us, the Irish have always been a pain

"Why dont northern ireland divorse themselves from great britain? That would be a lot easier for both ireland and eu Exactly ! Independent Northern Ireland , Wales , Scotland , and England , what's not to like ??"
That is right, it would be good, then those others countries could join the eu too.

Cannock

"

Remainers complain that a Canada style trade deal doesn't include financial services but the UK is aiming for a 'Canada plus plus' (in the words of David Davis) which includes financial services. The financial services aspect of the deal won't affect the border as it's only trade in goods that need a physical border crossing. Financial services and transactions don't require a physical border crossing as they are done electronically online.

Someone else does not know the difference between a free trade agreement and a single market."

EU chief negotiator Barnier has said today the only option open to the UK is a free trade agreement with the EU. No shit sherlock, a free trade agreement is what the UK has said it would like and has been asking for from day 1.

"Why dont northern ireland divorse themselves from great britain? That would be a lot easier for both ireland and eu

and for the rest of us, the Irish have always been a pain"

Wasnt it the irish that threw potatoes at the english? lol.

Cannock

"Why dont northern ireland divorse themselves from great britain? That would be a lot easier for both ireland and eu Exactly ! Independent Northern Ireland , Wales , Scotland , and England , what's not to like ??That is right, it would be good, then those others countries could join the eu too."

No they couldn't, in case you forgot England and Wales both voted by majority to leave the EU so they don't want to be in it anyway. As for Scotland they don't meet the financial requirements needed to join the EU and Spain said they would use their veto to block an independent Scotland joining the EU because they are shit scared of Catalonia breaking away and doing the same.

south dublin

Its no surprise Brexiters havent thought this through, you can only support Brexit if you havent thought through the consequences.

Brexiters want to take back control of their borders but want the EU to control the Irish border?

The phase 1 agreement says that Northern Ireland is going to stay in the customs union unless the UK offers a better solution than their vague "technological solutions". What do the Tories do? Keep offering the same thing in the hopes that if they say it enough things will magically change and the EU will accept it.

And thats not even getting into their pie in the sky fantasies about Ireland leaving the EU which will certainly not happen. 95% of the country see's Brexit as stupid.

And the idea that Mogg would suddenly grab negotiations by the neck and make things better? The reason the Tories arent doing better is largely because you dont have any leverage. Brexiters MASSIVELY overstate their position in negotiations. No one cares about the financial contributions, thats why you got the rebate in the first place. Its a negligible amount of money for both the EU and the UK. And everything else of value the UK contributed the Tories already took off the table.

West London

"

Remainers complain that a Canada style trade deal doesn't include financial services but the UK is aiming for a 'Canada plus plus' (in the words of David Davis) which includes financial services. The financial services aspect of the deal won't affect the border as it's only trade in goods that need a physical border crossing. Financial services and transactions don't require a physical border crossing as they are done electronically online. "

Saying that you want something and getting it are two different things.

Nothing is covered.

You also appear to be modelling our trade relationships on the ones that we are about to give up.

There are no international trade agreements with full access to services.

Again, why do we have any border controls at all if they can be invisible?

I'm sure that the Irish will be delighted to have all of their vehicle and biometric details held by a foreign power. What could possibly go wrong?

You think that illegal sea crossing is an issue for someone intending to become an illegal immigrant?

Limavady

"Its no surprise Brexiters havent thought this through, you can only support Brexit if you havent thought through the consequences.

Brexiters want to take back control of their borders but want the EU to control the Irish border?

The phase 1 agreement says that Northern Ireland is going to stay in the customs union unless the UK offers a better solution than their vague "technological solutions". What do the Tories do? Keep offering the same thing in the hopes that if they say it enough things will magically change and the EU will accept it."

Not quite sure why you think phase 1 says NI will stay in customs union. It doesn't at all and DUP would not have agreed to it if it did. I do accept that it was deliberately unclear.

You say that UK expects EU to control the Irish border. You are right in as much as that UK doesn't want any control on the British side and if the EU wants to impose any controls then they should do it in Ireland.

West London

"Its no surprise Brexiters havent thought this through, you can only support Brexit if you havent thought through the consequences.

The phase 1 agreement says that Northern Ireland is going to stay in the customs union unless the UK offers a better solution than their vague "technological solutions". What do the Tories do? Keep offering the same thing in the hopes that if they say it enough things will magically change and the EU will accept it.

Not quite sure why you think phase 1 says NI will stay in customs union. It doesn't at all and DUP would not have agreed to it if it did. I do accept that it was deliberately unclear.

You say that UK expects EU to control the Irish border. You are right in as much as that UK doesn't want any control on the British side and if the EU wants to impose any controls then they should do it in Ireland."

The UK does not want control of its borders?

Central

"Why dont northern ireland divorse themselves from great britain? That would be a lot easier for both ireland and eu Exactly ! Independent Northern Ireland , Wales , Scotland , and England , what's not to like ??That is right, it would be good, then those others countries could join the eu too."

At present it's taken many months trying to get agreements there to get their parliament back and working again - so good luck with the idea, though they'll need a NI government before they could consider it.

As with an independent Scotland or Wales, it wouldn't necessarily mean that they don't have to apply for EU membership again.

TBH I m happy to have an Inependant Non E U England preferably with a PR Electoral system and the other 3 can do what they like ??

Limavady

"Why dont northern ireland divorse themselves from great britain? That would be a lot easier for both ireland and eu Exactly ! Independent Northern Ireland , Wales , Scotland , and England , what's not to like ??That is right, it would be good, then those others countries could join the eu too.

At present it's taken many months trying to get agreements there to get their parliament back and working again - so good luck with the idea, though they'll need a NI government before they could consider it.

As with an independent Scotland or Wales, it wouldn't necessarily mean that they don't have to apply for EU membership again. "

Quite apart from the fact that more people want to remain as part of the UK rather than part of a United Ireland.

south dublin

"Why dont northern ireland divorse themselves from great britain? That would be a lot easier for both ireland and eu Exactly ! Independent Northern Ireland , Wales , Scotland , and England , what's not to like ??That is right, it would be good, then those others countries could join the eu too.

As with an independent Scotland or Wales, it wouldn't necessarily mean that they don't have to apply for EU membership again.

Quite apart from the fact that more people want to remain as part of the UK rather than part of a United Ireland. "

Actually for the first time ever polls this year showed a tiny majority would rather a United Ireland. Personally I dont think its the right time for this. Just like putting up a border would send tensions rising I think even a push towards a United Ireland right now would do the exact same.

Northern Ireland is still having to maintain a delicate balancing act and any disruption could tip the whole thing.

south dublin

"

You say that UK expects EU to control the Irish border. You are right in as much as that UK doesn't want any control on the British side and if the EU wants to impose any controls then they should do it in Ireland."

In the absence of a better agreement with the EU the "UK will ensure “full alignment” with the rules of the customs union and single market that uphold the Belfast Agreement for Northern Ireland."

That means if phase 2 has no agreement or that if the Irish or EU dont like the UKs proposals then Northern Ireland will remain in the customs union and single market. Now the onus has completely shifted to the UK to come up with a better proposal because Ireland and the EU are happy with what we have.

Limavady

Quite apart from the fact that more people want to remain as part of the UK rather than part of a United Ireland.

Actually for the first time ever polls this year showed a tiny majority would rather a United Ireland. Personally I dont think its the right time for this. Just like putting up a border would send tensions rising I think even a push towards a United Ireland right now would do the exact same.

Northern Ireland is still having to maintain a delicate balancing act and any disruption could tip the whole thing."

The latest poll I can find (last october) says only a third want Irish unification.

By *inkyHnSCouple  over a year ago

The Council of Elrond

If Northern Ireland remain in the customs union and single market

Then everyone will witness the break up of the UK

As Scotland have every right to get the same deal to remain in the single market and customs union as Scotland did vote to remain in the EU

Ayrshire

I can't remember the Scottish Good Friday agreement.

It must have slipped my mind.

We shall see if this slips by too..

Leaving the EU via Brexit will have consequences, job losses for instance.

Scotland goes independent,the consequences of that is that it too leaves the EU in the hardest terms.

No deal, therefore the same if not worse job losses than Brexit.

By going independent and leaving the UK, there will be further job losses.

As Scotlands trade with the rest of the UK is four times higher than with the EU, it would be safe to assume that it would be even more damaging than that caused by leaving the EU itself.

The question which you have not attempted to answer is, which of those two options is the least damaging to Scotland?

Brexit in UK or independence out of both the UK and EU?

What would you chose kinky?

The Council of Elrond

So let me get this right Ticklybit if N.Ireland get to stay in the single market and customs union are you honestly saying you wouldnt want the same for Scotland to stay in the single market ?

Jesus it really is the UK union at any cost for you

Ayrshire

You still demand answers from others when you wont answer a straight question.

Scotland goes independent,the consequences of that is that it too leaves the EU in the hardest terms.

No deal,therefore the same if not worse job losses than Brexit.

As Scotlands trade with the rest of the UK is four times higher than with the EU, it would be safe to assume that it would be even more damaging than that caused by leaving the EU itself.

The question which you have not attempted to answer is, which of those two options is the least damaging to Scotland?

Just read an article in a Belfast paper written by Mogg. In short he blames the Irish, the EU for being difficult on the border situation. We chose to leave and of course "we knew what we voted for", but it's everybody's fault but ours!

The Council of Elrond

Ticklybit how many times i have told you you answer my question on the other thread go look for it then i shall answer

So Ticklybit if N.Ireland get to stay in the single market and customs union are you honestly saying you wouldnt want the same for Scotland to stay in the single market ?

Ayrshire

Because I dont believe you, I asked you to remind me of this question I never answered, and you have been unable to do so.

But I will still ask it.

No deal,therefore the same if not worse job losses than Brexit.

"Just read an article in a Belfast paper written by Mogg. In short he blames the Irish, the EU for being difficult on the border situation. We chose to leave and of course "we knew what we voted for", but it's everybody's fault but ours!"

Adolf Rees-Mogg is a tory eurosceptic and so has had a prerequisite to be a whinging whiny little bitch like ALL the tory eurosceptics have been whinging whiny little bitches for the last 45 years.

the fact is that the eurosceptic whinging whiny little bitches will continue to be whinging whiny little bitches even after brexit.

Ayrshire

Quality whinging about whinging.

"Just read an article in a Belfast paper written by Mogg. In short he blames the Irish, the EU for being difficult on the border situation. We chose to leave and of course "we knew what we voted for", but it's everybody's fault but ours!

Adolf Rees-Mogg is a tory eurosceptic and so has had a prerequisite to be a whinging whiny little bitch like ALL the tory eurosceptics have been whinging whiny little bitches for the last 45 years.

the fact is that the eurosceptic whinging whiny little bitches will continue to be whinging whiny little bitches even after brexit."

Hence the hard right brexiteers should be the ones running the show, because everything they are not happy with that blame someone else. If they were running it then we see how and what sort of deal they get.

"Quality whinging about whinging. "

an observation not a complaint .... you could learn the difference betwixt the two sometime

"Hence the hard right brexiteers should be the ones running the show, because everything they are not happy with that blame someone else. If they were running it then we see how and what sort of deal they get."

they will always find someone else to blame .... remember the mexican standoff they all had over their party leadership contest .... the fat controller turned his back for a split second and gove knifed him in the place where a normal person would have a spine

By *iknaknok42Man  over a year ago

limavady

If britain invades ireland...yet again....problem solved.lol

The Council of Elrond

if N.Ireland get to stay in the single market and customs union

Do people think Scotland should get the same deal to stay in the single market and customs union ?

Cannock

"if N.Ireland get to stay in the single market and customs union

Do people think Scotland should get the same deal to stay in the single market and customs union ?

"

N.Ireland are not staying in the single market or the customs union. This was made clear In the phase 1 agreement text. Theresa May's speech reaffirmed this yesterday and the EU also recognises now the UK is leaving the single market and the customs union.

West London

N.Ireland are not staying in the single market or the customs union. This was made clear In the phase 1 agreement text. Theresa May's speech reaffirmed this yesterday and the EU also recognises now the UK is leaving the single market and the customs union. "

It was also made clear that there would not be any border controls.

So, again, do you or do you not want to "take back control" of the UK borders. If the invisible border works for Ireland then why not for every other point of entry?

The Council of Elrond

Ok since this is the theead about the Irish border

Centaur what proposals did Theresa May say yesterday on how to solve the Irish border ?

If you agree to a hard brexit out out the single market and customs union Centaur then thats a hard border

So Centaur are you one of those people that think the Good Friday Agreenment is worth scrapping to get your brexit ?

Cannock

N.Ireland are not staying in the single market or the customs union. This was made clear In the phase 1 agreement text. Theresa May's speech reaffirmed this yesterday and the EU also recognises now the UK is leaving the single market and the customs union.

So, again, do you or do you not want to "take back control" of the UK borders. If the invisible border works for Ireland then why not for every other point of entry?"

3 words 'Good Friday agreement'. The Irish border is a unique and special case which has to be considered against the terms of the good Friday agreement. The rest of the UK, points of entry into Wales, Scotland and England are entirety different to the unique circumstances surrounding the Irish border.

Cannock

"Ok since this is the theead about the Irish border

Centaur what proposals did Theresa May say yesterday on how to solve the Irish border ?

If you agree to a hard brexit out out the single market and customs union Centaur then thats a hard border

So Centaur are you one of those people that think the Good Friday Agreenment is worth scrapping to get your brexit ?

"

Try listening to Theresa May's speech again as it appears you either haven't heard it or you've not listened to it properly if you did see it.

The Council of Elrond

"Ok since this is the theead about the Irish border

Try listening to Theresa May's speech again as it appears you either haven't heard it or you've not listened to it properly if you did see it. "

Yeah it was waffle , waffle and waffle

So again how do you to solve the Irish border?

If you agree to a hard brexit out the single market and customs union Centaur then thats a hard border

How about irish unification to start that sorts Irish border and for scotland to remain in single market and customs union if a United ireland invade scotland ,

Job done ,

England can have brexit we move the border to hadrians wall

Bristol East

There is an even simpler solution - England and Wales declare independence from the UK.

The rUK revokes Aricle 50.

Sorted.

West London

So, again, do you or do you not want to "take back control" of the UK borders. If the invisible border works for Ireland then why not for every other point of entry?

3 words 'Good Friday agreement'. The Irish border is a unique and special case which has to be considered against the terms of the good Friday agreement. The rest of the UK, points of entry into Wales, Scotland and England are entirety different to the unique circumstances surrounding the Irish border. "

You don't seem to understand the question.

Is the Irish border intended to not be secure? Regardless of the "three words" is it going to be secure enough to control immigration and smuggling?

If it is then surely that system is good enough to control all of our external borders.

If not then we do not have control of our borders do we?

Limavady

3 words 'Good Friday agreement'. The Irish border is a unique and special case which has to be considered against the terms of the good Friday agreement. The rest of the UK, points of entry into Wales, Scotland and England are entirety different to the unique circumstances surrounding the Irish border.

Is the Irish border intended to not be secure? Regardless of the "three words" is it going to be secure enough to control immigration and smuggling?

If it is then surely that system is good enough to control all of our external borders.

If not then we do not have control of our borders do we?"

It can't be. In the 70s 80s and 90s thousands of troops couldn't stop smuggling or people crossing. They can't do it now. That's not s political comment merely a practical one.

It is difficult to see how the Irish border has any real relevance to Brexit or the EU. As we are simply talking about the movement of goods all this can be monitored electronically. A red light monitoring system can be put in place for suspect hauliers. Anyone entering Ireland will already have passed through controls at one of the borders . Why would we want any additional checks to those in place under the current system at the various ports and airports?

We should be concentrating out efforts on maximising business opportunities. The key issue is that the EU is simply a vast bureaucracy that produces nothing and is simply a taxation expenses . European businnesses want to work with us and us with them. The Irish border issue is simply an irrelevant distraction.

The EU or the Irish border does not secure our future . What does this is a successfull partnership between businesses who provide employment and in turn generate the revenues which enable people to pay tax and companies to pay corporation tax .

I am from Northern Ireland and consider it laughable that this is considered to be an issue.

The key issue for me is the success of businesses. This is what will pay my pension in future plus that of most people.

"It is difficult to see how the Irish border has any real relevance to Brexit or the EU. As we are simply talking about the movement of goods all this can be monitored electronically. A red light monitoring system can be put in place for suspect hauliers. Anyone entering Ireland will already have passed through controls at one of the borders . Why would we want any additional checks to those in place under the current system at the various ports and airports? "

because that system previously allowed millions of tons of drugs and guns and sometimes even drugged nigerian diplomats (as some will be old enough to remember) to flow around the world unfettered

The Council of Elrond

The peace treaty that was approved by 71% of voters in Northern Ireland thats a majority btw lol

Now whether people like to admit it or not Northern Ireland voters did vote to remain in the EU and single market and customs union

Now leave voters will leave N.Ireland as collateral damage to get their brexit

I do have to wonder what leave voters would do about a border if France agrees with Ireland to relocate the Calais camp to say Dundalk lol

And if TheresaMay keeps up with her pish abiut the Irish border she should have no problem accepting a ‘frictionless’ border with an independent Scotland

Oh the UK is royally fucked lol

The irish border has two things to do .

one is from UK point of view prevent uncontrolled immigration ,

Two for an eu point of view

Prevent cheap crap that the uk imports getting into the eu system.

Ie. Chlorine washed chicken ,

This means any amount large or small ,

Neither of these objectives can be done with frictionless border control ,

The eu or republic of Ireland will not call for a hard border , instead we will force the uk to do that ,

The eu has put a proposal forward that will solve the irish border problem it is workable form maintaining a border point of view , But politically toxic for may to swallow .

So now it's up to the uk to put forward a solution that's able to control the movement of people and products to the same extent ,

And the uk hasn't got a solution ,

West London

If not then we do not have control of our borders do we?

It can't be. In the 70s 80s and 90s thousands of troops couldn't stop smuggling or people crossing. They can't do it now. That's not s political comment merely a practical one."

So leaving the EU does not allow us to "take back control" of our borders.

Also, the act of creating two different trade zones generates a differential for smuggling that does not currently exist.

West London

"It is difficult to see how the Irish border has any real relevance to Brexit or the EU. As we are simply talking about the movement of goods all this can be monitored electronically. A red light monitoring system can be put in place for suspect hauliers. Anyone entering Ireland will already have passed through controls at one of the borders . Why would we want any additional checks to those in place under the current system at the various ports and airports?

We should be concentrating out efforts on maximising business opportunities. The key issue is that the EU is simply a vast bureaucracy that produces nothing and is simply a taxation expenses . European businnesses want to work with us and us with them. The Irish border issue is simply an irrelevant distraction.

The EU or the Irish border does not secure our future . What does this is a successfull partnership between businesses who provide employment and in turn generate the revenues which enable people to pay tax and companies to pay corporation tax .

I am from Northern Ireland and consider it laughable that this is considered to be an issue.

The key issue for me is the success of businesses. This is what will pay my pension in future plus that of most people. "

So, again, is this red light system good enough for all of our external borders? Entering Ireland requires no monitoring from the EU. We, apparently, want our own standards so we will need to check them for conformity unless we are happy to be rule takers.

What functions does the EU bureaucracy fulfil that might maximise business opportunities? Have a think. If you really can't come up with any I will right down a selection for you.

How does leaving a market without tax and customs barriers and with common standards for goods AND services help business?

Theresa May's plan to ensure the continuation of a soft border between Northern Ireland and the Republic could be rejected by the European Union, Tanaiste Simon Coveney has suggested.

The British Prime Minister has committed to leaving the EU customs union which guarantees tariff-free trade, but insists a hard border can be avoided through technological solutions and placing no new restrictions on the 80% of cross-frontier trade carried out by smaller businesses.

But Tanaiste Simon Coveney told BBC One's The Andrew Marr Show he was "not sure that the European Union will be able to support" the plan, as it would be worried about protecting the integrity of the single market.

"While of course we will explore and look at all of the proposed British solutions, they are essentially a starting point in negotiations as opposed to an end point," he said.

Mr Coveney said if agreement cannot be reached during tri-partite talks between the UK, Ireland and the European Commission, the backstop plan of full British alignment with customs union and single market rules that Mrs May "committed clearly" to in December would have to be put in place.

Central

Can anyone see a situation where people arriving from Northern Ireland into the rest of the UK have immigration checks?

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"Can anyone see a situation where people arriving from Northern Ireland into the rest of the UK have immigration checks? "

Depends where they arrive from.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"Can anyone see a situation where people arriving from Northern Ireland into the rest of the UK have immigration checks?

Depends where they arrive from."

"Can anyone see a situation where people arriving from Northern Ireland into the rest of the UK have immigration checks? "

-Matt

Grantham

"Can anyone see a situation where people arriving from Northern Ireland into the rest of the UK have immigration checks?

-Matt"

Ooopps, me bad. Didn't read that one properly.

Grantham

-Matt"

Depends on what nationality they are.

Barbados

-Matt

Depends on what nationality they are. "

Lol... does it really? I don't travel much between NI and the mainland, but I'm pretty sure there are no passport/customs checks as you go between them.

-Matt

Grantham

-Matt

Lol... does it really? I don't travel much between NI and the mainland, but I'm pretty sure there are no passport/customs checks as you go between them.

-Matt"

Isn't the CTA only available to UK nationals?

Admittedly, it's been over 25 years since I visited Ireland. We need an Irish correspondent to advise.

Barbados

-Matt

-Matt

Admittedly, it's been over 25 years since I visited Ireland. We need an Irish correspondent to advise."

It may well be, but as I said, I don’t think there are any customs or passport checks, so how do you envisage determining if someone is from the U.K. or not?

-Matt

The Council of Elrond

" if agreement cannot be reached between the UK, Ireland and the European Commission, the backstop plan of full British alignment with customs union and single market rules"

So if NI get to stay in the single market then there should be no problem for Scotland to get the sane deal

And blows that theory oot the water about a hard border between an independent Scotland and England

Be nice to wave cheerio to the UK and have all 4 countries become independent

Barbados

Put it this way, those pesky EU nationals that the Daily Mail hates so much can quite freely and legally enter Eire. As Eire is outside the Schengen zone they will need to show their passport. But they have the right to enter as EU citizens.

There is then no border between NI and Ireland. There has been hand-waving suggestions that ‘technology’ will fix that. But the only way will be to have some kind of passport scanner on each of the gazillion border crossing points. Which is not going to happen either politically or practically in any real timeframe.

Then there are no checks between NI and the mainland UK as far as I know. Whether ferries and planes require identity documents to book crossings, I guess they would these days. But they are certainly not immigration checks.

So now that pesky job creating, NHS working, public purse funding European is in the mainland UK.

Or.......

They can just fly direct to the UK on EasyJet and enter with whatever tourist visa we may apply on holiday and just simply not leave. Like they can now. Like they will be able to post-Brexit because the issues of exit checks are nothing to do with the EU and all to do with our own governments incompetence.

-Matt

Barbados

Oh, and just like now, that EU citizen will still not be able to claim benefits they are not entitled to, not use public services they are not entitled to.

So nothing will have changed.

But we’ll have turned Kent into a lorry park, and we’ll have blue passports.

Huzzah!

-Matt

Grantham

-Matt

-Matt

Admittedly, it's been over 25 years since I visited Ireland. We need an Irish correspondent to advise.

It may well be, but as I said, I don’t think there are any customs or passport checks, so how do you envisage determining if someone is from the U.K. or not?

-Matt"

I'm assuming by the tone of the PM's recent speech, any hard border will be on the UK mainland. Airports should already have immigration posts, so I'm assuming that these will appear at Stranraer, Holyhead, Liverpool etc.

How the CTA will work after Brexit, if at all, we be down to the current negotiations.

Barbados

-Matt

-Matt

-Matt

I'm assuming by the tone of the PM's recent speech, any hard border will be on the UK mainland. Airports should already have immigration posts, so I'm assuming that these will appear at Stranraer, Holyhead, Liverpool etc.

How the CTA will work after Brexit, if at all, we be down to the current negotiations."

Well, I'm guessing you heard her tone wrong then, or she is being weak and wobbly some more.

Last week Theresa May said that "no United Kingdom prime minister could ever agree" with putting barriers between Northern Ireland and Great Britain, while David Davis said it would "undermine the UK common market and constitutional integrity of the UK".

Not to mention the idea of the border being placed between the UK mainland and NI was what Barnier suggested, and so Brexiteers would never agree to that on principle.

-Matt

-Matt

-Matt

Admittedly, it's been over 25 years since I visited Ireland. We need an Irish correspondent to advise."

No checks on the way over or back drove up from the south showed driver's license as identification going on to the ferry never got out of the car till I parked on ferry ,

Grantham

-Matt

-Matt

No checks on the way over or back drove up from the south showed driver's license as identification going on to the ferry never got out of the car till I parked on ferry ,"

So we have a conundrum.

No hard border between Eire and Northern Ireland.

No hard border between Northern Ireland and the UK.

So how do we get a workable and enforceable border between Eire and mainland UK?

Bristol East

"

So how do we get a workable and enforceable border between Eire and mainland UK?"

Leaving the customs union means a hard border is inevitable.

Unless the UK comes up with an alternative, which so far it has failed to do.

I suspect they will just keep fudging the issue until there is some kind of crisis that forces the hand of either party - uproar in the UK because some atrocity was committed by a hoodlum who slipped in the back door; or uproar in the EU when some Arthur Daley type here decides to export Shergar as sirloin steak.

Central

-Matt

-Matt

As I understand it, the Common Travel Area (CTA) is an open borders agreement between Ireland, the UK and some of the outlying islands, which allows free movement of EEA nationals, including UK and ROI citizens. Identity checks may be made and at present anyone could walk or travel from ROI to the UK via a Northern Ireland crossing point, including walking over a field. To travel from NI into other parts of the UK, photographic ID is typically needed for airlines but needn't be a passport or national ID card.

The ROI and UK have some countries for which their residents can have visa free travel and that some of these countries are different between the ROI and the UK. A person of Kazakhstan nationality can enter ROI without a visa and could theoretically be in the UK within a few hours by walking over the border, where she/he would have needed a visa. This is not a new situation but can happen today, so the risk is no greater should brexit occur.

I'm wondering if things will stay as they are.

"

So how do we get a workable and enforceable border between Eire and mainland UK?

I suspect they will just keep fudging the issue until there is some kind of crisis that forces the hand of either party - uproar in the UK because some atrocity was committed by a hoodlum who slipped in the back door; or uproar in the EU when some Arthur Daley type here decides to export Shergar as sirloin steak.

"

Fudging it is over now , I can't see any more progress until the uk put forward a detailed proposal on the border a proposal that works and protects the Eu common market

-Matt

-Matt

As I understand it, the Common Travel Area (CTA) is an open borders agreement between Ireland, the UK and some of the outlying islands, which allows free movement of EEA nationals, including UK and ROI citizens. Identity checks may be made and at present anyone could walk or travel from ROI to the UK via a Northern Ireland crossing point, including walking over a field. To travel from NI into other parts of the UK, photographic ID is typically needed for airlines but needn't be a passport or national ID card.

The ROI and UK have some countries for which their residents can have visa free travel and that some of these countries are different between the ROI and the UK. A person of Kazakhstan nationality can enter ROI without a visa and could theoretically be in the UK within a few hours by walking over the border, where she/he would have needed a visa. This is not a new situation but can happen today, so the risk is no greater should brexit occur.

I'm wondering if things will stay as they are. "

things can stay as they are if the uk scraps brexit

West London

-Matt

-Matt

I'm wondering if things will stay as they are. "

Except we want to "take back control".

So, the situation that you describe would be unacceptable in our brave new world. I expect that if we allow Indians free access in order to get our trade deal with them, the Irish might not be so amiable either.

Centaur, any thoughts?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

Fudging it is over now , I can't see any more progress until the uk put forward a detailed proposal on the border a proposal that works and protects the Eu common market "

thus far the border issue is the circle that wont be squared, complete fudge with talk by May of things yet to be in place which will keep it all ok..

Newcastle and Gateshead

I might of miss the answer a brexit leave suggested.. I thought the point of leaving was to take back control...

So if s person who is a eu National and can legally get into Ireland, how are you going to stop them getting into Northern Ireland and then taking a boat to the mainland if there isn’t a border in place?

We will so limit the people coming here... except for that big arrow where you can come into the country this way instead

"

Fudging it is over now , I can't see any more progress until the uk put forward a detailed proposal on the border a proposal that works and protects the Eu common market

thus far the border issue is the circle that wont be squared, complete fudge with talk by May of things yet to be in place which will keep it all ok..

"

It can be squared but Teresa may will need to grow some balls and tell Arlene foster that northern Ireland is staying in the common market and customs union and there will be border checks at the port

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

It can be squared but Teresa may will need to grow some balls and tell Arlene foster that northern Ireland is staying in the common market and customs union and there will be border checks at the port "

Then she could be in bother numbers wise in Westminster, and if its OK for them to stay then it's a question others will also ask..

"

It can be squared but Teresa may will need to grow some balls and tell Arlene foster that northern Ireland is staying in the common market and customs union and there will be border checks at the port

Then she could be in bother numbers wise in Westminster, and if its OK for them to stay then it's a question others will also ask..

"

She will be in bother numbers wise without question ,

She is kicking a can down the road but she will soon realize its a dead end ,

She be better off to fall on her sword now and call an electrician

I'm a right saying may suggested a border like US and Canada ????

West London

"I'm a right saying may suggested a border like US and Canada ????"

That is a closed border though isn't it?

"I'm a right saying may suggested a border like US and Canada ????

That is a closed border though isn't it?"

Yep armed customs on that border

Is she for real ?? Did she suggest it or am I completely wrong ??

West London

"Is she for real ?? Did she suggest it or am I completely wrong ??"

Apparently so. In the Commons today.

Must have been briefed by the Foreign Secretary

"Is she for real ?? Did she suggest it or am I completely wrong ??

Apparently so. In the Commons today.

Must have been briefed by the Foreign Secretary "

Is she after getting her hands on a bag of magic mushrooms ???

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I'm a right saying may suggested a border like US and Canada ????"

if that is what she is being suggested and briefed by her FCO (of which she would have been) I suggest she take a trip to the detroit/windsor tunnel.... because the last time i travelled thru it, it wasn't the free and open border she imagines...

p.s it was more like the uk border on the french side of the channel tunnel......

p.s on second thoughts....does she never watch border security canada!!!!!

"I'm a right saying may suggested a border like US and Canada ????

if that is what she is being suggested and briefed by her FCO (of which she would have been) I suggest she take a trip to the detroit/windsor tunnel.... because the last time i travelled thru it, it wasn't the free and open border she imagines...

p.s it was more like the uk border on the french side of the channel tunnel......

p.s on second thoughts....does she never watch border security canada!!!!! "

The pressure has got to her she is after snapping ,.

I will start a new thread as this is almost finished

"I will start a new thread as this is almost finished "
go for it

"I will start a new thread as this is almost finished go for it "
I have done it

Central

"Is she for real ?? Did she suggest it or am I completely wrong ??"

Definitely said it, very clearly! The incompetence of this UK conservative party is astounding. As for a PM quoting something like the US/Canadian border as a model of an open border, when it absolutely is not, it's beyond parody to be so stupid. It highlights clearly how the UK government even now is not prepared for brexit and has no clear plan, despite just having a few weeks left in order to get negotiations completed.

The conservative focus is just on keeping their own party from self-implosion, due to their bitter divides over Europe. They should be shamed forever for this shambles, over such an important event in UK history.