FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Teachers carrying guns

Teachers carrying guns

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Trump suggests arming teachers , to prevent attacks on schools , what you think ???

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

what could go wrong?

I think this is ingenious ,

The people who attack schools will think twice before going into a school knowing the teachers are armed and will fight back ,

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Just take the guns away. How hard can it be?

Good to see the students being vocal about this issue. America needs a generational change and these children are the catalyst.

Americans attitudes to guns will not change enough in our life times

By *ilk_TreMan  over a year ago

Wherever the party is!

"I think this is ingenious ,

The people who attack schools will think twice before going into a school knowing the teachers are armed and will fight back ,

"

Find don't work the same as in the movies. Even if you you hit your intended target, the bullet does NOT always stop there.

In fact, the path of bullets can be VERY difficult to predict. Even for a ballistics expert...

Schools are underfunded they have no money for ink cartridges and stationary but all of a sudden there is money for guns for every teacher.

"Just take the guns away. How hard can it be?

Good to see the students being vocal about this issue. America needs a generational change and these children are the catalyst."

Money NRA too powerful. What would happen if Trumps son was killed at school?

I think they new tighter gun laws and don't arm teachers.

Teachers are stressed out every day. Many have mental breakdowns because of the shit the kids nowadays put then through so it wouldn't be long before one of the teachers turns the gun on the students and themselves.

Too much money in guns over in America to make any difference.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Why not go the whole way and arm the pupils as well!

With about 5 guns per person in America I don't think it matters who has them. Some nut job will get hold of one for rest of eternity.

Just seen a photo of Trump with a card with 5 "bullet" points on (no pun intened).

1. What would you most want me to know about your experience?

2. What can we do to help you feel? Safe ( fingers covered some text)

3. Do you .....

See some...

Something ...

Efective? (Fingers covered part of text)

4. Resources?

Ideas?

5. I hear you.

Well that's straight from the heart - off the cuff - NOT!!!!

Why not have 2or3 ex army who are unemployed guarding schools i know its not ideal but better than arming teachers

It a better option than leaving a school "a soft target" in the case of school shootings its usually a student 15 or 16 years old

It ant going to take much to make them think twice

If they think that staff are armed they will think before going in to attack ,

The odds are teachers in these schools have guns at home already but dew to schools being gun free zone they can't carry ,

"Why not have 2or3 ex army who are unemployed guarding schools i know its not ideal but better than arming teachers "

That leaves an attacker with one or two targets to prioritize the attacker will be planning ,

The idea of trumps proposal is no student will know what teachers are armed or how many are armed

If trump thinks more armed people are the solution.How come when addressing an NRA conference recently everybody had to check their guns at the door.Surely these conferences are the safest places in America.?

"If trump thinks more armed people are the solution.How come when addressing an NRA conference recently everybody had to check their guns at the door.Surely these conferences are the safest places in America.? "

Trump addressed the conference ?

By *ustJ0dieTV/TS  over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

I think that the real question here is does Donald Trump think that Scotland can support itself independently from the hated yoons post-Brexit, and allow guns on it's golf courses?

How many people here have a gun ?

How many have more than one ?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"If trump thinks more armed people are the solution.How come when addressing an NRA conference recently everybody had to check their guns at the door.Surely these conferences are the safest places in America.?

Trump addressed the conference ?"

They part funded his election campaign, there's plenty of footage of him addressing them and in one part he's happily posing with a rifle..

"If trump thinks more armed people are the solution.How come when addressing an NRA conference recently everybody had to check their guns at the door.Surely these conferences are the safest places in America.?

Trump addressed the conference ?"

Yes sorry i wasn't clear it was the NRA annual convention he addressed last year.

Great idea !!!

Yes Miss Smith your teaching credentials are fantastic but you only hit the bullseye twice in the firing range so I am sorry we can't employ you !!!!

So the gun fight comes out of the Ok Coral and moved to the Mathematics class !!!

Just wondering if a teacher fired a bullet in all honesty to protect the school but missed and killed an innocent student

then what ???

It's what you get when a "businessman" is running the show. It's all about money. By arming the teacher's they are buying more guns - More guns sold NRA is happy - "a win win". Kid's are theoretically safer, big business has made a few more dollars. Cynical I know but couldn't resist it.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

Wire up every school in America with high explosives. If a sicko shooter drops by any teacher can press down the detonation plunger.

No way a sicko shooter is going to walk into an exploding school, it'll be more of a deterrent than Florida's death penalty

By *andACouple  over a year ago

glasgow

It's a crazy idea and I'd be surprised if the police were happy about it. Given the confusion that reigns during such incidents it's just making this more difficult for the police when there can be multiple people in the building running around with guns.

Someone was carrying a gun during the Sandy Hook (at least I think it was Sandy Hook, there are so many unfortunately ) and they never got involved iirc as they were afraid of being shot by the police.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

This will never happen, but not for any of the good, logical reasons against it. It won't happen because the gun lobby owned politicians will just wait for the latest outcry to fade and then do nothing.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Simple solution:

Just permit government to have the semi-automatic type of guns that are capable of high frequency shooting, a civilian downgrade from military weapons, as a first step.

The National Rifle Association has been a major donor to Trump and the Republican Florida Senator Rubio, and neither of them is inclined to initiate legal changes that will restrict their sale. Trump would seemingly prefer to increase sales, by equipping teachers with them - more profit for the gun makers!

Teachers won't be readily able to shoot guns, in a manner that military staff could, whilst out in the field. They'll be busy teaching and it would likely escalate problems, rather than reduce them.

As we saw in Vegas recently, not all mass killings are in schools, so it would be better to have measures that would reduce the potential for these across the board.

Massive reductions of public guns would be needed to minimise the likelihood of further shootings.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

What if the teachers get angry with the kids,they might shoot them.When I was at school a few of the teachers would have happily shot me lol

"If trump thinks more armed people are the solution.How come when addressing an NRA conference recently everybody had to check their guns at the door.Surely these conferences are the safest places in America.? "
Nice one ??

"It's what you get when a "businessman" is running the show. It's all about money. By arming the teacher's they are buying more guns - More guns sold NRA is happy - "a win win". Kid's are theoretically safer, big business has made a few more dollars. Cynical I know but couldn't resist it."
Cynical maybe , also could well be True !

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

"It a better option than leaving a school "a soft target" in the case of school shootings its usually a student 15 or 16 years old

The odds are teachers in these schools have guns at home already but dew to schools being gun free zone they can't carry , "

You do know that there was an armed security guard in the school when the massacre took place dont you?

By *ilk_TreMan  over a year ago

Wherever the party is!

"It a better option than leaving a school "a soft target" in the case of school shootings its usually a student 15 or 16 years old

The odds are teachers in these schools have guns at home already but dew to schools being gun free zone they can't carry ,

You do know that there was an armed security guard in the school when the massacre took place dont you?"

Who was as useful as a chocolate tea pot. Not even an active let alone passive deterrent.

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

No one knew the student had a gun with him till he started firing .....so I cannot see how trumps theory would work .

"Schools are underfunded they have no money for ink cartridges and stationary but all of a sudden there is money for guns for every teacher. "

Has anyone thought to ask the teachers if they want to be armed .

Well if a trained policeman was too afraid to take on the assassin then why should a teacher? Coward of the county - get paid to do the job but when it comes to the crunch hides away!

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

As it now turns out there was another man with a gun on the campus in Florida; an armed Policemen in fact. Just having a man with a gun on the campus isn't the simple solution that Trump and friends are trying to make it seem. Whilst I'm not generally in favour of government controls or simplistic solutions, like banning all guns (hand gun crime increased in the UK after the ban brought in in 1998), that seldom actually tackle the real under lying problem, something must surely be able to br done in the US to make sure that students on campus are safe from death by gun shot. Having more guns on the campus seems unlikely to achieve that aim.

By *ngman70Man  over a year ago

Between Christcrch and New Forest

America seems to have an unnecessary love of guns and like all things they like them big and brash. Advocates talk about the need to defend themselves because of the right in the constitution - this was in case the Brits invaded again - don't think that's going to happen.

Gun in school is a DUMB concept. School is a period of education so don't give chance for the concept that guns are acceptable to be introduced early on.

America will never get rid of its love but it does not mean things can't change:-

1) Ban gun that shoot more than once before being loaded (with the exception of twin barrel shotguns)

2) Ban the carrying of weapons in public.

There are so many guns in US society that this will not be perfect but it will allow the police to then further remove illegal weapons as time goes b.

As for security this is more difficult to achieve in the short term

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"Just take the guns away. How hard can it be?

Good to see the students being vocal about this issue. America needs a generational change and these children are the catalyst.

Money NRA too powerful. What would happen if Trumps son was killed at school? "

The littlest one? This is going to sound incredibly harsh, but my honest answer would be I don't think he'd notice.

-Matt

Barbados

"Has anyone thought to ask the teachers if they want to be armed ."

Yes, and all the interviews I've seen with them they all say they don't want to be armed.

I don't recall a *single* time in which 'good guy with a gun' has managed to stop 'bad guy with a gun' so far in all these incidents.

Go look at the #armmewith movement that has started. Fantastic.

-Matt

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"Well if a trained policeman was too afraid to take on the assassin then why should a teacher? Coward of the county - get paid to do the job but when it comes to the crunch hides away!"

Exactly, it was his job to stop this, and he couldn't, even if he had tried, he may not have succeeded. A teachers job, is to teach, not to gun down their students.

"Has anyone thought to ask the teachers if they want to be armed .

Yes, and all the interviews I've seen with them they all say they don't want to be armed.

I don't recall a *single* time in which 'good guy with a gun' has managed to stop 'bad guy with a gun' so far in all these incidents.

Go look at the #armmewith movement that has started. Fantastic.

-Matt"

Dont blame them. I wouldnt want the responsibility.

Usa will never change, i have relatives there with young children and even after sandy hook they still insist it is their right to bear arms.

An everyday occurence there and i cant see anything changing.

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

Arming the teachers is a stupid idea. Take a gun to class, hit the teacher first and then the students.

And what if the teacher has a mental breakdown.

Armed veterans? Well theres no history of vets having mental health episodes and going on killing sprees, no wait thats exactly what happened in some cases.

"Trump suggests arming teachers , to prevent attacks on schools , what you think ??? "

They should carry RPGs instead.

It'd be like the anime Kill la Kill

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

Arming teachers is not an "idea". It's a distraction.

For the first time there is, surprisingly, a genuine scent of change.

The students are smart, eloquent and far more able to,run a national campaign than any political party.

The NRA fear is palatable because they have been out actually attacking the kids who are speaking out, claiming that they're actors and being manipulated by "the liberals".

The usual tactic is to distract, send hopes and prayers and let the news cycle move on.

It may not work this time...

"Well if a trained policeman was too afraid to take on the assassin then why should a teacher? Coward of the county - get paid to do the job but when it comes to the crunch hides away!"

Hope everyone calling him a coward feels happy when he has a breakdown or kills himself from the guilt!!

"Well if a trained policeman was too afraid to take on the assassin then why should a teacher? Coward of the county - get paid to do the job but when it comes to the crunch hides away!

Hope everyone calling him a coward feels happy when he has a breakdown or kills himself from the guilt!!"

I agree , it's easy to criticise from the outside !

The same thing happened in Hungerford !

"Well if a trained policeman was too afraid to take on the assassin then why should a teacher? Coward of the county - get paid to do the job but when it comes to the crunch hides away!

Hope everyone calling him a coward feels happy when he has a breakdown or kills himself from the guilt!! I agree , it's easy to criticise from the outside !

The same thing happened in Hungerford ! "

If someone signs up for a job which may require you having to take high risks or possibility of injury at some point then don't do the job. They take the pay - a soldier, policeman or a fireman all know the risks before they join up. In this case how many could have lived had he done his job? He might have been killed himself but then again he might not. He could have been a hero -a live one - his conscious - don't know how he can look in the mirror? He was trained for the job!

Apparently 4 armed deputies hid behind cars and didn't enter the school.So good guys with guns couldn't prevent 1 bad guy.More guns Don't help.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

I learned today it is illegal to carry a toy gun in Las Vegas. But a real firearm is OK.

Can anyone explain the logic?

Kinder eggs at banned in the USA .Tens of thousands are seized every year.(Choking hazard)

Guns don't kill kids kinder eggs kill kids.

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

Most teachers struggle to use a photocopier.

Trump wants to give them guns.

He's a bell end.

Guns is the norm in the USA crazy to think of the idea but it's true. It's a different culture to British views I think it's a bad idea but gun crimes at schools it's getting out of hand he can't ban it as it will be a lobby against it so having a experience teacher with knowledge how to use a gun could be a good thing and a mindset that if you try going in a school to kill kids you will be shot.

"Apparently 4 armed deputies hid behind cars and didn't enter the school.So good guys with guns couldn't prevent 1 bad guy.More guns Don't help."
Less Guns would help tho !

I know let's be Radical no Guns just Cricket Bats as Philip once said !

I doubt we would have 16 Dead kids then !

Guns DO Kill

"Apparently 4 armed deputies hid behind cars and didn't enter the school.So good guys with guns couldn't prevent 1 bad guy.More guns Don't help. Less Guns would help tho !

Guns DO Kill"

Americans are apparently so safety conscious that kinder eggs are considered too dangerous for their children but armed teachers is an acceptable solution to school massacres.

"Apparently 4 armed deputies hid behind cars and didn't enter the school.So good guys with guns couldn't prevent 1 bad guy.More guns Don't help. Less Guns would help tho !

Guns DO Kill

Americans are apparently so safety conscious that kinder eggs are considered too dangerous for their children but armed teachers is an acceptable solution to school massacres. "

ok arm the Miltary or better still Trumps Bodyguards with Kinda Eggs !

West London

If I follow the "logic" of this, then people who decide to carry out a mass killing they carefully consider the consequences and agonise about the possibility of being shot and killed themselves.

As they are making perfectly rational decisions, then a member of staff who has been on a training session and keeps a weapon in a "securely" locked desk draw will deter them.

Really?

West London

Apparently four trained police officers were outside the school whilst the shooting was being carried out, but some teachers could have stopped it?

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"Apparently four trained police officers were outside the school whilst the shooting was being carried out, but some teachers could have stopped it? "
exactly as if Britney a drama teacher in her early thirties is going to pelt down a corridor waving her colt45 is going to save the day and take out a gunman it's a fucking joke the most stupid shit trumps come out with for me anyway

"Trump suggests arming teachers , to prevent attacks on schools , what you think ??? "

Works okay for Israeli Teachers, they have no concerns

Thornaby

"Trump suggests arming teachers , to prevent attacks on schools , what you think ???

Works okay for Israeli Teachers, they have no concerns"

Like Israel is a good example of anything

pmsl "like" lol

West London

"Trump suggests arming teachers , to prevent attacks on schools , what you think ???

Is that so? It's a matter of policy is it? Schools don't have armed civilian security guards pretty much all of whom will have served in the military under national service?

Interesting "fact"

Is that so? It's a matter of policy is it? Schools don't have armed civilian security guards pretty much all of whom will have served in the military under national service?

Interesting "fact" "

you need to look further than google son

West London

Interesting "fact"

you need to look further than google son"

Good come back. So it's because you said so

Interesting "fact"

Good come back. So it's because you said so "

not at all, was a BBC broadcast actually, and interviews from ex pats who had worked as teachers in Israel, they were also monitored very strictly

you should check Israel's firearm licensing, it may teach a few countries a thing or two, age restrictions for one

you are aware most Isreali schools have one way in/out and that is where you will find the guards you read about and quoted above.

anyway, try and dig a little deeper son.

Barbados

Interesting "fact"

not at all, was a BBC broadcast actually, and interviews from ex pats who had worked as teachers in Israel, they were also monitored very strictly

you should check Israel's firearm licensing, it may teach a few countries a thing or two, age restrictions for one

you are aware most Isreali schools have one way in/out and that is where you will find the guards you read about and quoted above.

anyway, try and dig a little deeper son."

Well from the first bit I found (cba to look deeper) on firearms licensing in Isreal says this:

"In Israel, not every person is allowed to carry a firearm. To qualify for a license you have to meet the standards of the Ministry of Public Security. For example; a person who lives in a specific community that the Ministry has defined as a hazardous area to live in or travel to is allowed to apply; in addition, the person must not have a criminal record, and will need to pass a weapons training and qualification course. The license in Israel is for one specific weapon, and you can only buy a hand gun or a weapon for hunting."

If that were the case in the US, then they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

-Matt

West London

Interesting "fact"

anyway, try and dig a little deeper son."

...there I was listening to my Israeli friends rather than you.

There were under the impression that, in general, the only teachers who carry weapons as a matter of course were the ones living in settlements because all adults carry weapons all of the time because they live under constant perceived or actual threat.

An ideal environment to encourage I think you'll agree.

As ever, you do provide unbiased incites into so many things.

Thank you

Essex

[Removed by poster at 26/02/18 01:34:30]

Essex

Teachers in Israeli schools are not armed

Teachers in Israeli schools are not armed"

Some choose not to be armed, others choose to carry

Interesting "fact"

Well from the first bit I found (cba to look deeper) on firearms licensing in Isreal says this:

"In Israel, not every person is allowed to carry a firearm. To qualify for a license you have to meet the standards of the Ministry of Public Security. For example; a person who lives in a specific community that the Ministry has defined as a hazardous area to live in or travel to is allowed to apply; in addition, the person must not have a criminal record, and will need to pass a weapons training and qualification course. The license in Israel is for one specific weapon, and you can only buy a hand gun or a weapon for hunting."

If that were the case in the US, then they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

-Matt

"

also an age restriction which means you cannot apply until the age of 24, or if you have served in military its lowered to 21

Cambridge

Interesting "fact"

-Matt

also an age restriction which means you cannot apply until the age of 24, or if you have served in military its lowered to 21"

The SNP will probably follow suit

Interesting "fact"

-Matt

also an age restriction which means you cannot apply until the age of 24, or if you have served in military its lowered to 21

The SNP will probably follow suit "

how you figure that one?

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

There was some interesting stats online the other day indicating why arming teachers wouldn't necessarily stop an active Shooter.

NYPD cops (i.e. trained marksmen) tested for accuracy at the shooting range and again in simulated gunfight conditions.

Unsurprisingly the accuracy rate dropped dramatically despite their training and experience.

Now, If a trained and experienced professional can't hit a moving and firing target with a good degree of accuracy what chance does a teacher have in that situation?

"There was some interesting stats online the other day indicating why arming teachers wouldn't necessarily stop an active Shooter.

NYPD cops (i.e. trained marksmen) tested for accuracy at the shooting range and again in simulated gunfight conditions.

Unsurprisingly the accuracy rate dropped dramatically despite their training and experience.

Now, If a trained and experienced professional can't hit a moving and firing target with a good degree of accuracy what chance does a teacher have in that situation?"

an armed teacher has more chance than an unarmed teacher

would you not agree?

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"There was some interesting stats online the other day indicating why arming teachers wouldn't necessarily stop an active Shooter.

Now, If a trained and experienced professional can't hit a moving and firing target with a good degree of accuracy what chance does a teacher have in that situation?

would you not agree?"

Putting a lightly armed and highly agitated teacher with a handgun up against a madman with a rifle will just end up with the madman gaining access to a hand gun.

The very fact that such a proposal is even being discussed shows just how dumbed down the 2nd Amendment argument has become.

Putting more firearms into schools will not help one iota and will significantly increase the chances of teachers being shot dead by either the perpetrator or hot-headed Police first responders.

You want to gain an advantage over someone - you outgun them; you don't let yourself be outgunned. That mantra has stood the test of time since man first roamed this planet. Arming teachers with handguns will make matters worse and arming them with Assault rifles and/or machine guns may level the playing field, but it will still result in many more innocents being killed through negligence and accidents.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

would you not agree?"

More chance of hitting a child or other innocent bystander maybe.

would you not agree?

Putting a lightly armed and highly agitated teacher with a handgun up against a madman with a rifle will just end up with the madman gaining access to a hand gun.

The very fact that such a proposal is even being discussed shows just how dumbed down the 2nd Amendment argument has become.

Putting more firearms into schools will not help one iota and will significantly increase the chances of teachers being shot dead by either the perpetrator or hot-headed Police first responders.

You want to gain an advantage over someone - you outgun them; you don't let yourself be outgunned. That mantra has stood the test of time since man first roamed this planet. Arming teachers with handguns will make matters worse and arming them with Assault rifles and/or machine guns may level the playing field, but it will still result in many more innocents being killed through negligence and accidents."

You are aware that both semi and full auto rifles are prone to "jams"

and even without a jam, one has to reload

half a dozen armed teachers with hand gun of their choice against a madman high on what ever taking out kids,

put my money on the half dozen teachers, whether a 911 or a glock

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

would you not agree?

You want to gain an advantage over someone - you outgun them; you don't let yourself be outgunned. That mantra has stood the test of time since man first roamed this planet. Arming teachers with handguns will make matters worse and arming them with Assault rifles and/or machine guns may level the playing field, but it will still result in many more innocents being killed through negligence and accidents.

half a dozen armed teachers with hand gun of their choice against a madman high on what ever taking out kids,

put my money on the half dozen teachers, whether a 911 or a glock"

So you are doubling down on even Trumps suggestion of a “couple” now it is six armed teachers per school or probably ten to account for days of sickness and being rota’d in different parts of the school etc. That would be roughly 2,000,000 new guns in US schools that were not there before. By the law of averages a person is accidentally killed or seriously injured each year per hundred thousand guns. That therefore is 20 people a year accidentally killed or injured whether or not the shooter is dissuaded or not from still attacking a school.

West London

would you not agree?

put my money on the half dozen teachers, whether a 911 or a glock"

US police officers hit their targets approximately at a rate of 28%

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/weekinreview/09baker.html?referer=http://www.google.com/

What rate do you think teacher's will manage and where do the other rounds end up?

Do you watch as many snooty films as your hero Trump who would have gone in even if he wasn't armed?

would you not agree?

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/weekinreview/09baker.html?referer=http://www.google.com/

What rate do you think teacher's will manage and where do the other rounds end up?

Do you watch as many snooty films as your hero Trump who would have gone in even if he wasn't armed? "

I don't really believe that, I prefer to believe from my own experience with both practical pistol and practical shotgun where you are running a course shooting 6 inch steel plates, strange how one can hit a 6 inch steel plate on the move but unable to hit a human body

West London

would you not agree?

Do you watch as many snooty films as your hero Trump who would have gone in even if he wasn't armed?

I don't really believe that, I prefer to believe from my own experience with both practical pistol and practical shotgun where you are running a course shooting 6 inch steel plates, strange how one can hit a 6 inch steel plate on the move but unable to hit a human body"

Once again, completely unable to comprehend anything outside your own, limited, personal experience

Thornaby

would you not agree?"

More chance of being shot, yes.

It is good, cos it is a gun crazed society, they need to protect themselves too.

Cambridge

"It is good, cos it is a gun crazed society, they need to protect themselves too."

If guns protect, then you would expect more guns, to equal less death and crime, right?

West London

Having a gun around does not appear to make people safer.

This is from the Gifford Law Centre which does take an anti-gun stance, but they do quote the research.

"Statistics on the Dangers of Gun Use for Self-Defense

Guns kept in the home are more likely to be involved in a fatal or nonfatal unintentional shooting, criminal assault or suicide attempt than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense.1 That is, a gun is more likely to be used to kill or injure an innocent person in the home than a threatening intruder.

Though guns may be successfully used in self-defense even when they are not fired, the evidence shows that their presence in the home makes a person more vulnerable, not less. Instead of keeping owners safer from harm, objective studies confirm that firearms in the home place owners and their families at greater risk. Research published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that living in a home where guns are kept increased an individual’s risk of death by homicide by between 40 and 170%.2 Another study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology similarly found that “persons with guns in the home were at greater risk of dying from a homicide in the home than those without guns in the home.” This study determined that the presence of guns in the home increased an individual’s risk of death by homicide by 90%.3

Claims that guns are used defensively millions times every year have been widely discredited. Using a gun in self-defense is no more likely to reduce the chance of being injured during a crime than various other forms of protective action.4 At least one study has found that carrying a firearm significantly increases a person’s risk of being shot in an assault; research published in the American Journal of Public Health reported that, even after adjusting for confounding factors, individuals who were in possession of a gun were about 4.5 times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not in possession.5

The gun lobby has often cited to a thoroughly debunked statistic that guns are used defensively 2.5 million times per year in the United States. That discredited estimate came from a 1995 study that suffered from several fatal methodological flaws, including its reliance on only 66 responses in a telephone survey of 5,000 people, multiplied out to purportedly represent over 200 million American adults.6 The authors of that discredited study themselves stated that in up to 64% of their reported defensive gun use cases, the guns were carried or used illegally, including cases where the victim was actually the aggressor.7

A study published in 2013 by the Violence Policy Center, using five years of nationwide statistics (2007-2011) compiled by the federal Bureau of Justice found that defensive gun use occurs at a dramatically lower rate, about 98.5% lower than the gun lobby has claimed.8 The V.P.C. also found that for every one justifiable homicide in the United States involving a gun, guns were used in 44 criminal homicides.9 This ratio does not take into account the tens of thousands of lives lost in gun suicides or accidental shootings every year."

"Having a gun around does not appear to make people safer.

This is from the Gifford Law Centre which does take an anti-gun stance, but they do quote the research.

Guns kept in the home are more likely to be involved in a fatal or nonfatal unintentional shooting, criminal assault or suicide attempt than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense.1 That is, a gun is more likely to be used to kill or injure an innocent person in the home than a threatening intruder.

Though guns may be successfully used in self-defense even when they are not fired, the evidence shows that their presence in the home makes a person more vulnerable, not less. Instead of keeping owners safer from harm, objective studies confirm that firearms in the home place owners and their families at greater risk. Research published in the New England Journal of Medicine found that living in a home where guns are kept increased an individual’s risk of death by homicide by between 40 and 170%.2 Another study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology similarly found that “persons with guns in the home were at greater risk of dying from a homicide in the home than those without guns in the home.” This study determined that the presence of guns in the home increased an individual’s risk of death by homicide by 90%.3

Claims that guns are used defensively millions times every year have been widely discredited. Using a gun in self-defense is no more likely to reduce the chance of being injured during a crime than various other forms of protective action.4 At least one study has found that carrying a firearm significantly increases a person’s risk of being shot in an assault; research published in the American Journal of Public Health reported that, even after adjusting for confounding factors, individuals who were in possession of a gun were about 4.5 times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not in possession.5

The gun lobby has often cited to a thoroughly debunked statistic that guns are used defensively 2.5 million times per year in the United States. That discredited estimate came from a 1995 study that suffered from several fatal methodological flaws, including its reliance on only 66 responses in a telephone survey of 5,000 people, multiplied out to purportedly represent over 200 million American adults.6 The authors of that discredited study themselves stated that in up to 64% of their reported defensive gun use cases, the guns were carried or used illegally, including cases where the victim was actually the aggressor.7

A study published in 2013 by the Violence Policy Center, using five years of nationwide statistics (2007-2011) compiled by the federal Bureau of Justice found that defensive gun use occurs at a dramatically lower rate, about 98.5% lower than the gun lobby has claimed.8 The V.P.C. also found that for every one justifiable homicide in the United States involving a gun, guns were used in 44 criminal homicides.9 This ratio does not take into account the tens of thousands of lives lost in gun suicides or accidental shootings every year.""

your first paragraph says it all;

Guns kept in the home are more likely to be involved in a fatal or nonfatal unintentional shooting, criminal assault or suicide attempt than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense.1 That is, a gun is more likely to be used to kill or injure an innocent person in the home than a threatening intruder

absolute bullshit

West London

A study published in 2013 by the Violence Policy Center, using five years of nationwide statistics (2007-2011) compiled by the federal Bureau of Justice found that defensive gun use occurs at a dramatically lower rate, about 98.5% lower than the gun lobby has claimed.8 The V.P.C. also found that for every one justifiable homicide in the United States involving a gun, guns were used in 44 criminal homicides.9 This ratio does not take into account the tens of thousands of lives lost in gun suicides or accidental shootings every year."

Guns kept in the home are more likely to be involved in a fatal or nonfatal unintentional shooting, criminal assault or suicide attempt than to be used to injure or kill in self-defense.1 That is, a gun is more likely to be used to kill or injure an innocent person in the home than a threatening intruder

absolute bullshit"

Why is it absolute bullshit?

What experience do you have on any firearms death or injury let alone of thousands of them over a number of years?

absolute bullshit

What experience do you have on any firearms death or injury let alone of thousands of them over a number of years?"

I do not know anyone that I shoot with, whether in syndicates or shooting clubs who have had any threat such as you say in paragraph one, infact if that was the case it would be highly publicised through out the shooting community

again

bullshit

West London

absolute bullshit

What experience do you have on any firearms death or injury let alone of thousands of them over a number of years?

I do not know anyone that I shoot with, whether in syndicates or shooting clubs who have had any threat such as you say in paragraph one, infact if that was the case it would be highly publicised through out the shooting community

again

bullshit"

Simpleton.

The gun control laws are very strict here. They are not at all strict in the USA. That is the country under discussion.

absolute bullshit

again

bullshit

Simpleton.

The gun control laws are very strict here. They are not at all strict in the USA. That is the country under discussion. "

then you will be aware, different laws, different states, be precise

so why is there no threat in UK under your first paragraph, again full of shit

West London

absolute bullshit

again

bullshit

Simpleton.

The gun control laws are very strict here. They are not at all strict in the USA. That is the country under discussion.

then you will be aware, different laws, different states, be precise

so why is there no threat in UK under your first paragraph, again full of shit"

This was national research and Trump wants to arm teachers everywhere in the country. I don't need to be specific.

I also said nothing about threats in the UK.

Everything is always about you isn't it?

Simpleton.

"It is good, cos it is a gun crazed society, they need to protect themselves too.

If guns protect, then you would expect more guns, to equal less death and crime, right? "

That is right it would, but it dont work that way.

Cambridge

[Removed by poster at 28/02/18 18:05:11]

Barbados

Early in the story... so details still to emerge, but this isn't looking good for the 'Arm all Teachers, It'll be Fine!' argument:

"Georgia police take teacher into custody after shots fired at school"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/28/georgia-police-take-teacher-into-custody-after-shots-fired-at-school

-Matt

"Early in the story... so details still to emerge, but this isn't looking good for the 'Arm all Teachers, It'll be Fine!' argument:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/28/georgia-police-take-teacher-into-custody-after-shots-fired-at-school

-Matt"

yep, must be a mental health issue,

West London

"Early in the story... so details still to emerge, but this isn't looking good for the 'Arm all Teachers, It'll be Fine!' argument:

-Matt

"

So an armed teacher could suffer from a mental health issue and cause harm to people without wing threatened?

What about if their life was just getting out of control? Jealousy? Bankruptcy?

Could the same thing happen to private individuals in the home if they had a weapon available?

Just unbelievable buckshot maybe?

-Matt

So an armed teacher could suffer from a mental health issue and cause harm to people without wing threatened?

Could the same thing happen to private individuals in the home if they had a weapon available?

Just unbelievable buckshot maybe? "

"What about if their life was just getting out of control? Jealousy? Bankruptcy"

you mean like a female school teacher who's scum of the earth husband is cheating on her and having affairs time after time

perhaps she would still be level headed and simply leave the scum bag, her whole World wouldn't fall apart simply because she made one bad move and married a cheating scum bag who enjoys sneaking around behind her back like a coward.

now? who does that remind me off

West London

-Matt

"What about if their life was just getting out of control? Jealousy? Bankruptcy"

you mean like a female school teacher who's scum of the earth husband is cheating on her and having affairs time after time

perhaps she would still be level headed and simply leave the scum bag, her whole World wouldn't fall apart simply because she made one bad move and married a cheating scum bag who enjoys sneaking around behind her back like a coward.

now? who does that remind me off "

...or perhaps she wouldn't? Perhaps she'd shoot him?

Perhaps if her husband was a bully that never listened to her and lived his life selfishly she'd one day snap and shoot him?

The point is that making a weapon designed to kill living things readily available to people with all if their mental frailties is not a sensible thing to do.

-Matt

Perhaps if her husband was a bully that never listened to her and lived his life selfishly she'd one day snap and shoot him?

The point is that making a weapon designed to kill living things readily available to people with all if their mental frailties is not a sensible thing to do."

best you hide all the knives in your home then, just worry about the food that has been cooked up

West London

-Matt

The point is that making a weapon designed to kill living things readily available to people with all if their mental frailties is not a sensible thing to do.

best you hide all the knives in your home then, just worry about the food that has been cooked up"

Blah, blah.

This on the other hand is actually pertinent.

From the LA Times. No doubt this story Will develop and may turn out to be all wrong . Still, until that point in time...

Armed teacher fires a gun in Georgia high school.

[After teacher fires gun at school, Ga. students us...] http://va.newsrepublic.net/article/i6527813231371616778?user_id=6518159305170272266&language=en&region=gb&app_id=1239&impr_id=6528164308818348297&gid=6527813231371616778&c=sys&language=en

West London

[Removed by poster at 02/03/18 22:45:54]

West London

According to the New England Journal of Medicine:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1712773

During the NRA national convention when 80,000 "good guys with guns" go away, gun injuries fall by 20% nationwide.

Whyever might that be?

Cambridge

Teacher accidentally fires gun, injures student

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/03/15/teacher-fires-gun-injures-student-marquez-newday-pkg.cnn

1 day, 2 negligent discharges in schools by trained police officers. This highlights how stupid it would be to arm teachers.

On Friday, Donald Trump repeated his preferred responses to Parkland: new emphasis on background checks and arming teachers to create “offensive capability” in schools

Cambridge

"On Friday, Donald Trump repeated his preferred responses to Parkland: new emphasis on background checks and arming teachers to create “offensive capability” in schools"

Despite 2 NDs resulting in a student being shot in neck in a single day.

Anyone marching tomorrow (protesting)

"Teacher accidentally fires gun, injures student

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/03/15/teacher-fires-gun-injures-student-marquez-newday-pkg.cnn

1 day, 2 negligent discharges in schools by trained police officers. This highlights how stupid it would be to arm teachers. "

Accidental discharge will never turn into a massacre , I know that's not much good to the poor student that got it in the neck ,

But teachers carrying guns would be a deterrent to a homicidal lunatic , intent on causing as much destruction as he can

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Anyone marching tomorrow (protesting)"

is that a genuine question... or just a shot at being arsey and condescending to a bunch of kids who went thru the horror of being in the middle of a mass shooting incident and have decided to try and do something proactive

can never tell with you........

I think it's time the yanks looked in the mirror and asked themselves why they like guns so much !

Ban them All !

It's not difficult !

Anyone apart from the police or military get an automatic life sentence for carrying one !

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I think it's time the yanks looked in the mirror and asked themselves why they like guns so much !

Ban them All !

It's not difficult !

Anyone apart from the police or military get an automatic life sentence for carrying one !"

the "2nd amendment" belief is so strong that the "ban them all" idea flew the nest years ago..... and then the hunting element is so strong its not something that would be entertained...

but there are stuff that can be done... and a lot of it is common sense, but as soon as you mention common sense gun control... the likes of the "they are coming for all your guns" scarmongering just goes into overdrive....

so for example.... here are what the kids propose... none of it is extremely radical...

1) Ban semi-automatic weapons that fire high-velocity rounds

2) Ban accessories that simulate automatic weapons

3) Establish a database of gun sales and universal background checks

4) Change privacy laws to allow mental healthcare providers to communicate with law enforcement

5) Close gun show and secondhand sales loopholes

6) Allow the CDC to make recommendations for gun reform

7) Raise the firearm purchase age to 21

now none of that is radical..... and none of that says "we are going to take away all your guns!!!".... but that is the Narrative the NRA want people to believe.....

Cambridge

1 day, 2 negligent discharges in schools by trained police officers. This highlights how stupid it would be to arm teachers.

Accidental discharge will never turn into a massacre , I know that's not much good to the poor student that got it in the neck ,

But teachers carrying guns would be a deterrent to a homicidal lunatic , intent on causing as much destruction as he can "

So how many NDs are you willing to accept to prevent an active shooter?

Cambridge

"I think it's time the yanks looked in the mirror and asked themselves why they like guns so much !

Ban them All !

It's not difficult !

Anyone apart from the police or military get an automatic life sentence for carrying one !

the "2nd amendment" belief is so strong that the "ban them all" idea flew the nest years ago..... and then the hunting element is so strong its not something that would be entertained...

but there are stuff that can be done... and a lot of it is common sense, but as soon as you mention common sense gun control... the likes of the "they are coming for all your guns" scarmongering just goes into overdrive....

so for example.... here are what the kids propose... none of it is extremely radical...

1) Ban semi-automatic weapons that fire high-velocity rounds

2) Ban accessories that simulate automatic weapons

3) Establish a database of gun sales and universal background checks

4) Change privacy laws to allow mental healthcare providers to communicate with law enforcement

5) Close gun show and secondhand sales loopholes

6) Allow the CDC to make recommendations for gun reform

7) Raise the firearm purchase age to 21

now none of that is radical..... and none of that says "we are going to take away all your guns!!!".... but that is the Narrative the NRA want people to believe.....

"

An interesting feature of American gun culture is the "tax stamp". Guns can be a very, very expensive hobby, buying the gun, buying optics, accessories (lights, lasers, grips, trigger jobs, etc.), and of course running the gun results in ammunition costs. Many gun enthusiasts are happy to pay these costs, however there is one thing that they are very reluctant to pay, and that is a tax stamp.

In the US (in most states), it's perfectly fine and legal to purchase a suppressor (aka "silencer") for your gun, BUT you have to pay a $200 federal tax to have one, on top of the cost of the suppressor itself.

This is also the case for short barrelled rifles and short barrelled shotguns, you can have them, but you've got to have the $200 tax stamp.

This makes such guns and accessories relatively rare in the US. They are happy to pay a fortune for a gun, but not for a tax. I would therefore suggest that expanding taxation should be a potential lever the government could use to influence behaviour. I would say of _abio's list, perhaps number 1 would be the hardest to get, so if they can't get them banned, try adding a tax stamp.

By *ornyDubMan25Man  over a year ago

Berlin

A better move in the schools would be to make all classroom doors bulletproof and would not cost a great deal more than arming the teachers as these teachers would presumably need to undergo firearms safety training etc

The problem with this is that it's perfectly legal to buy many variations of armor piercing rounds in the USA but AFAIK in most states it's illegal to carry a live weapon with Armor piercing rounds.

I'm all for gun control but unfortunately the gun problem has got out of hand in the USA. Generally speaking, In Europe, we have pretty good firearms laws. I wouldn't like to see them loosened as there is no legitimate need for a private citizen in most countries to own a firearm for the purpose of self defense.

I have a close friend who is a dual Irish and American citizen that would agree that we don't need looser gun regulations in Europe but if you tried to take away his open carry in America he would not be one bit happy about it.

unfortunately if there are more firearms than people in a country then I believe you should have legal access to a firearm to protect yourself.

Anything America tries to do to curb gun violence at this stage is just a band aid on a bullet wound! Particularly when the NRA hold so much power over the president!

By *onny MCMan  over a year ago

Crawley

A semi auto ban also takes out a lot of hunting weapons so is still going to be very unpopular with a now very mobilised voting block. Have also heard some surprisingly plausible arguments for semi auto rifles as home defence weapons.

As for a total ban, 80% of US gun homicides are drug related so as this large group of people who keep shooting each other already have connections to those smuggling drugs into the country, smuggling guns in as well probably won't be that difficult.

Someone earlier also asked when a good guy with a gun ever stopped a bad guy with a gun, the Sutherland Springs shooter was killed by an NRA registered instructor with an AR 15.

Berlin

"

As for a total ban, 80% of US gun homicides are drug related so as this large group of people who keep shooting each other already have connections to those smuggling drugs into the country, smuggling guns in as well probably won't be that difficult.

"

As regards the 80% statistic, I would advise taking it with a pinch of salt. Drug related can mean an awful lot of things.

The UK's total gun homicide rate in 2011 (quickest one I could find) was 0.06 per 100k people.

If you say 80% of US shooting deaths would probably happen regardless then just do some quick calculations:

Take the population of the USA at 325.7M

Of the 15,549 murders or mabslaughters commuted with a firearm in the USA in 2017, by the 80% figure you have given then 12,439.2 of these deaths are "drug related"

That gives you a "drug related" homicide rate of 3.82 per 100k people.

Still think these shootings would still happen if the US had tighter gun regulations?

But teachers carrying guns would be a deterrent to a homicidal lunatic , intent on causing as much destruction as he can

So how many NDs are you willing to accept to prevent an active shooter?"

These accidents don't happen every day ,

Crawley

"

As regards the 80% statistic, I would advise taking it with a pinch of salt. Drug related can mean an awful lot of things.

The UK's total gun homicide rate in 2011 (quickest one I could find) was 0.06 per 100k people.

If you say 80% of US shooting deaths would probably happen regardless then just do some quick calculations:

Take the population of the USA at 325.7M

Of the 15,549 murders or mabslaughters commuted with a firearm in the USA in 2017, by the 80% figure you have given then 12,439.2 of these deaths are "drug related"

That gives you a "drug related" homicide rate of 3.82 per 100k people.

Still think these shootings would still happen if the US had tighter gun regulations?

"

Depends what you think about similar statistics - supposedly the vast majority of these murders are committed with guns obtained illegally so a confiscation like the Australians had would be unlikely to get them out of circulation.

Berlin

If there is less guns in the civilian population then it reduces the need for criminals to be armed.

Do you really think that the weapons drug users/dealers are using are all smuggled? A lot of them are stolen in burglaries, bought for cash at gun shows/online or acquired through other methods and usually have the serial numbers shaved off.

Unfortunately the second amendment crowd do have a point, if it's so easy for a desperate criminal or drug addict to put their hands on a weapon then you should have the right to own a weapon for defense but not an AR-15!

The only reason it's now justifiable to own an AR-15 for defense purposes is because the local chav robbing houses has a much higher chance of being armed to the teeth in America than anywhere in Europe.

It's then your choice if confronted with a situation whether or not to defend yourself but you also have a responsibility in owning an instrument of death. A huge % of gun owners in America are not educated enough or intelligent enough to responsibly own a firearm, they will not survey the area or potential lines of fire/crossfire and don't understand how bullets can ricochet and bounce, some believe it is their right as an American citizen to empty 15 rounds in a crowded area if they feel threatened!

A potentially more effective long term approach than arming teachers would be to properly educate teenagers as part of the school system on firearms, firearm safety and what to do if you find yourself in a mass shooting scenario. I think this would save more lives than arming teachers... I once had a teacher throw a chair at me, if he was armed it would have been goodnight Vienna!

Crawley

I didn't say all drug dealer's guns were smuggled into the US, just that if you remove all the guns, this group already has a network in place to smuggle more in for their own ends.

The argument for using an AR 15 for home defence usually comes from smaller build women due to it's capacity, stopping power and light recoil.

Berlin

If said woman Takes the necessary training to safely and efficiently operate an AR 15 then yes it is an effective home defense weapon (depending on the size of your house) but in most situations that will befall the average American in every day life, I would much rather an accurate pistol for the simple reason that more often than not you will be pretty close to your attacker and a .380 handgun with as low as a 7+1 capacity will be a more efficient weapon for close range combat than a shoulder fire weapon!

However if I wanted to shoot somebody that was running away from me or commit a mass shooting then yeah an AR 15 would be more ideal!

Berlin

"I didn't say all drug dealer's guns were smuggled into the US, just that if you remove all the guns, this group already has a network in place to smuggle more in for their own ends.

The argument for using an AR 15 for home defence usually comes from smaller build women due to it's capacity, stopping power and light recoil. "

Unfortunately the first argument is a challenge that faces any civilized country... as a law abiding citizen you just have to put your faith in the emergency services who are properly trained and sufficiently armed to protect the public!

I would know where to pick up an illegal weapon in certain cities but i can't think of any circumstance where I would have to for the simple reason that I am not a criminal and I am not in fear for my safety.

In the gun loving USA it's not a big deal to carry an unlicensed handgun. In most states you won't even get jail time when caught if you have a clean record! In countries with less guns, particularly Ireland or the U.K, if you get caught with an illegal handgun and don't get at least a year inside, you're either mother Theresa or you're snitching!

In a lot of states, carrying an unlicensed handgun is seen as a similar scale offense as having €500-700 of drugs on you would be viewed in our justice systems...

In european countries, for most people it's a big decision to be in possession of an illegal firearm and involves having the trust of people you should generally avoid in life so there is very rarely any legitimate grounds to hold a weapon for self defense in these countries unless you're up to no good! Given your average recreational drug user/ low level dealer/mugger is (conservatively) 50-60x more likely to shoot you in America than in Europe, I would think any criminal that isn't armed has a very short career expectancy.

"I didn't say all drug dealer's guns were smuggled into the US, just that if you remove all the guns, this group already has a network in place to smuggle more in for their own ends.

The argument for using an AR 15 for home defence usually comes from smaller build women due to it's capacity, stopping power and light recoil. "

You are aware AR 15's are legal here in the UK, arnt you?

"Anyone marching tomorrow (protesting)

is that a genuine question... or just a shot at being arsey and condescending to a bunch of kids who went thru the horror of being in the middle of a mass shooting incident and have decided to try and do something proactive

can never tell with you........"

Are you not aware there are marches here in the UK today, thought you would be at the front of the queue to protest considering how strong you feel, or are your panties too tight for marching today

Cambridge

These accidents don't happen every day ,"

No one said they did, but more armed teachers will lead to more accidents. How many accidental deaths are you willing to accept to stop an intentional killing?

No one said they did, but more armed teachers will lead to more accidents. How many accidental deaths are you willing to accept to stop an intentional killing? "

I have never seen an accidental discharge of a weapon in 30 years of shooting, which includes attending various shooting clubs, stalking & clay shoots

has anyone here with firearm experience witnessed an accidental discharge

Cambridge

No one said they did, but more armed teachers will lead to more accidents. How many accidental deaths are you willing to accept to stop an intentional killing?

I have never seen an accidental discharge of a weapon in 30 years of shooting, which includes attending various shooting clubs, stalking & clay shoots

has anyone here with firearm experience witnessed an accidental discharge "

Yup

Berlin

Yup"

Yup, more than once in my limited experience.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Call me cynical,

Teachers with guns.

Imagine the situation,

‘Done your homework?, Bang!’

‘No running in the corridors, Bang!’

‘You are being disruptive, Bang!’

‘Why are you late?,Bang’

Disipline at the end of a barrel.

I knew being in school felt like being in prison, now they are actually turning them into prisons!

America, land of brave home of the dead.

in Lancashire

Yes, more than once..

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Anyone marching tomorrow (protesting)

can never tell with you........

Are you not aware there are marches here in the UK today, thought you would be at the front of the queue to protest considering how strong you feel, or are your panties too tight for marching today "

and you answer is why i asked if it was a genuine question... or were you just being as condescending as you usually are to get a rise out of people.....

i see it is the latter.......

West London

Yes. Twice. Both in highly controlled military settings with trained individuals used to regularly handling weapons, not amateurs or casual users.

Are you able to accept that your experiences, however important they are to you, are an extremely limited proportion of human experience?

Yes. Twice. Both in highly controlled military settings with trained individuals used to regularly handling weapons, not amateurs or casual users.

Are you able to accept that your experiences, however important they are to you, are an extremely limited proportion of human experience?"

I cannot believe 4 people on this forum have witnessed accidental discharge of firearm, that is truly shocking, actually disgraceful, I would really like to here more on each of these circumstances as there is simply no excuse for the accidental discharge of a firearm.

I truly believe if this happens, the person in question should have their firearm certificate revoked.

It can be more understandable within military as many individuals have limited range experience (believe it or not) and I know this for fact as my mate is an army RO, the amount of training they get is limited and every spent case must be accounted for.

Fact is, experienced stalkers & keepers have much more firearm experience than military, military do not use firearms every day unless in conflict and even then its not 24/7 all year.

and as for this comment here; "Yes. Twice. Both in highly controlled military settings with trained individuals used to regularly handling weapons, not amateurs or casual users"

WHAT WAS THE REPROMAND?

A firearm simply does not go off on its own, a service member who has a negligent discharge can face punishment for their action and indeed the should.

If a soldier accidentally fires a firearm, he could be charged with negligence. Experts say that most of these incidents involve soldiers who are inexperienced in handling weapons. It can either happen because the safety lock on the firearm was not in position; the magazine has not been unloaded or if the soldier was playing around with the weapon or showing off. A mishandled weapon can lead to deadly consequences. Several soldiers have lost their lives and many more have been injured through negligent discharge of a firearm.

so if the four people on this forum who have witnessed or indeed have experienced accidental discharge of a firearm, would they care to expand more on this, as there is simply no excuse for this.

Cambridge

My most recent witnessed ND was an IPSC INSTRUCTOR, and the end of his shoot, he "unloaded", "showed clear", dropped the slide, dropped the hammer, and it went BANG.

Luckily the gun was pointed in a safe direction, and no one got hurt, but it shows how even when safety procedures are followed, and a 2nd person checks a gun, accidents can and do happen.

I know you refuse to look at links, so I won't post one, but type "negligent discharge" into YouTube and you will find hours of footage. Maybe you will believe it if you see it with your own eyes?

"My most recent witnessed ND was an IPSC INSTRUCTOR, and the end of his shoot, he "unloaded", "showed clear", dropped the slide, dropped the hammer, and it went BANG.

Luckily the gun was pointed in a safe direction, and no one got hurt, but it shows how even when safety procedures are followed, and a 2nd person checks a gun, accidents can and do happen.

I know you refuse to look at links, so I won't post one, but type "negligent discharge" into YouTube and you will find hours of footage. Maybe you will believe it if you see it with your own eyes? "

Again, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for an accidental discharge, for a discharge there has to be a round in the chamber - agree

you can youtube all you like but fact is, if anyone gets an accidental discharge it can mean "Death" and there is simply no excuse.

so again I will repost this;

I cannot believe 4 people on this forum have witnessed accidental discharge of firearm, that is truly shocking, actually disgraceful, I would really like to here more on each of these circumstances as there is simply no excuse for the accidental discharge of a firearm.

I truly believe if this happens, the person in question should have their firearm certificate revoked.

It can be more understandable within military as many individuals have limited range experience (believe it or not) and I know this for fact as my mate is an army RO, the amount of training they get is limited and every spent case must be accounted for.

Fact is, experienced stalkers & keepers have much more firearm experience than military, military do not use firearms every day unless in conflict and even then its not 24/7 all year.

and as for this comment here; "Yes. Twice. Both in highly controlled military settings with trained individuals used to regularly handling weapons, not amateurs or casual users"

WHAT WAS THE REPROMAND?

A firearm simply does not go off on its own, a service member who has a negligent discharge can face punishment for their action and indeed the should.

If a soldier accidentally fires a firearm, he could be charged with negligence. Experts say that most of these incidents involve soldiers who are inexperienced in handling weapons. It can either happen because the safety lock on the firearm was not in position; the magazine has not been unloaded or if the soldier was playing around with the weapon or showing off. A mishandled weapon can lead to deadly consequences. Several soldiers have lost their lives and many more have been injured through negligent discharge of a firearm.

so if the four people on this forum who have witnessed or indeed have experienced accidental discharge of a firearm, would they care to expand more on this, as there is simply no excuse for this

Cambridge

"My most recent witnessed ND was an IPSC INSTRUCTOR, and the end of his shoot, he "unloaded", "showed clear", dropped the slide, dropped the hammer, and it went BANG.

I know you refuse to look at links, so I won't post one, but type "negligent discharge" into YouTube and you will find hours of footage. Maybe you will believe it if you see it with your own eyes?

Again, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for an accidental discharge, for a discharge there has to be a round in the chamber - agree

you can youtube all you like but fact is, if anyone gets an accidental discharge it can mean "Death" and there is simply no excuse.

"

No one has said that there is an excuse, they have just said that this happens.

This is why guns shouldn't be introduced in schools and carried by teachers.

i've seen plenty of stupid discharges of firearms and all of them by fucking idiots with guns

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

I quickly scanned through, and may have missed a mention, but what about the school shooting a couple of days ago where the shooter, a student, shot two others, before being challenged and shot by a member of the school staff, thus ending what could have been another mass shooting?

so three more people were shot? and you try to make that sound like a good thing? that's just wrong

brecon

"so three more people were shot? and you try to make that sound like a good thing? that's just wrong "

No, that's not what I'm saying.

The debate was about the pro's and cons of arming teachers.

People were making points about the dangers of having guns in schools, but I didn't see a mention of the one example of where a gun in a school saved lives.

Any death in a school is to be mourned, and ideally the Yanks should control their guns much better, but if we are having this debate lets at least admit that, on occasion, guns do save lives.

"so three more people were shot? and you try to make that sound like a good thing? that's just wrong

People were making points about the dangers of having guns in schools, but I didn't see a mention of the one example of where a gun in a school saved lives.

Any death in a school is to be mourned, and ideally the Yanks should control their guns much better, but if we are having this debate lets at least admit that, on occasion, guns do save lives."

bollocks ... the alleged incident you mentioned, and i say alleged, just means three more people were shot with firearms ... three people were not saved ... it's ludicrous bollocks to say otherwise .. if indeed this incident did actually occur

brecon

"so three more people were shot? and you try to make that sound like a good thing? that's just wrong

Any death in a school is to be mourned, and ideally the Yanks should control their guns much better, but if we are having this debate lets at least admit that, on occasion, guns do save lives.

bollocks ... the alleged incident you mentioned, and i say alleged, just means three more people were shot with firearms ... three people were not saved ... it's ludicrous bollocks to say otherwise .. if indeed this incident did actually occur "

It occurred.

Yes, two other students were injured, and the shooter died, but there may have been many more injuries and deaths if the shooter had been able to carry on.

Cambridge

bollocks ... the alleged incident you mentioned, and i say alleged, just means three more people were shot with firearms ... three people were not saved ... it's ludicrous bollocks to say otherwise .. if indeed this incident did actually occur

It occurred.

Yes, two other students were injured, and the shooter died, but there may have been many more injuries and deaths if the shooter had been able to carry on."

Do you have a link?

brecon

Type "Great Mills school shooting" for details.

"When the commotion about someone with a gun began Tuesday, Isiah Tichenor, 18, stepped into the hallway at Great Mills High School to pull shut his classroom’s door but instead found himself watching the climax of a school shooting.

He said he saw a classmate with a gun to his own head as a school resource officer rounded a corner at the Southern Maryland school. Tichenor ducked back inside the classroom as he heard shouting.

“Put the gun down!” the officer yelled. “We know you don’t want to hurt anyone.”

The officer ordered the student to drop the gun again before two shots sounded, marking the end of the latest school shooting in a nation weary of them. The shooter, identified as Austin Wyatt Rollins, 17, was hit and later died at a hospital. A female and a male student, ages 16 and 14, were injured and hospitalized.

The shooting, which played out against a rancorous national debate over arming teachers and putting more officers in schools to prevent school shootings, was notable because authorities credited St. Mary’s County Deputy Blaine Gaskill with possibly saving lives by quickly engaging the shooter."

three less people would've been shot had there been no guns

brecon

"three less people would've been shot had there been no guns "

Very true, but unfortunately we deal in the here and now, and the reality is that, in this case, lives were probably saved as a result of this adult being armed.

Cambridge

Police said Rollins, the shooter, had a "prior relationship which recently ended" with Willey and that the shooting was not a random act of violence. The handgun used in the shooting was legally owned by Rollins' father, police said.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/22/us/maryland-school-shooting-jaelynn-willey/index.html

Rollins was killed in the attack. It remains unclear whether he committed suicide or was shot by a school resource officer who responded to the attack.

http://abc7.com/maryland-school-shooting-victim-16-dies-after-life-support-removed/3250626/

So 2 assumptions were made, firstly that this was an active shooter intent on killing multiple people, instead of one person wanting to kill one person.

The other assumption was that the shooter was killed by an adult with a gun, when in fact he may have killed himself.

brecon

"Police said Rollins, the shooter, had a "prior relationship which recently ended" with Willey and that the shooting was not a random act of violence. The handgun used in the shooting was legally owned by Rollins' father, police said.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/22/us/maryland-school-shooting-jaelynn-willey/index.html

Rollins was killed in the attack. It remains unclear whether he committed suicide or was shot by a school resource officer who responded to the attack.

http://abc7.com/maryland-school-shooting-victim-16-dies-after-life-support-removed/3250626/

So 2 assumptions were made, firstly that this was an active shooter intent on killing multiple people, instead of one person wanting to kill one person.

The other assumption was that the shooter was killed by an adult with a gun, when in fact he may have killed himself. "

No-one will know now whether or not he would have carried on shooting others.

Although we don't yet know if the bullet that ended his life was fired by him or the adult, the point is that he was confronted by an armed individual, and stopped.

Cambridge

"Police said Rollins, the shooter, had a "prior relationship which recently ended" with Willey and that the shooting was not a random act of violence. The handgun used in the shooting was legally owned by Rollins' father, police said.

The other assumption was that the shooter was killed by an adult with a gun, when in fact he may have killed himself.

No-one will know now whether or not he would have carried on shooting others.

Although we don't yet know if the bullet that ended his life was fired by him or the adult, the point is that he was confronted by an armed individual, and stopped.

"

In the article you quoted he had his own fun pointed at his head. That suggests murder/suicide, not spree killer.

in Lancashire

Are you able to accept that your experiences, however important they are to you, are an extremely limited proportion of human experience?

WHAT WAS THE REPROMAND?

so if the four people on this forum who have witnessed or indeed have experienced accidental discharge of a firearm, would they care to expand more on this, as there is simply no excuse for this."

no one is saying there are 'excuses' for an ND, there are reasons yes and the main reason is human error..

training which the military are pretty well versed in both dry and live is like no other aspect, the emphasis and the getting the drill's and IA's right is paramount and yet incidents still and will occur at many levels..

Had a lad in my basic intake turn outside a 30 to 40 degree arc with a live round chambered in his SLR and he had taken the safety off..

our troop Sgt was ex 9 Para and clued up, spotted it called 'still' very loudly and stepped in put the safety on and asked our Troopie (2nd Lieutenant) to give him a minute..

when he had offed it out of sight and we had been told to face the range and not turn, we heard what sounded like the lad gasping for breath and some words of advice were given..

so whilst technically it wasn't an ND it highlighted to us the possible consequences of safety..

was running part of a range on annual testing as part of pre NI deployment where the discipline was an advance to contact using the SMG 9mm, twice on the first day we had ND's when with rounds chambered, safety on the 2 blokes as they advanced to cover to engage had knocked the safeties off..

One later admitted he had done so as the target came up to save time in engaging, the other was accidental as he went to cover..

one fired one round as he went to ground and the other had knocked it onto auto and fired a short burst..

both incidents were dealt with internally within the Sqn..

i would say that all environments are different when using live but as i said even an experienced handler can and does make mistakes..

as for your mate and the having to account for spent cases etc then yes that's often the way but have had many times where we had plenty which was surplus to play with ..

Berlin

WHAT WAS THE REPROMAND?

so if the four people on this forum who have witnessed or indeed have experienced accidental discharge of a firearm, would they care to expand more on this, as there is simply no excuse for this "

A friend of mine (police officer) recently had his daily carry discharge on him by engaging the safety after chambering a round before starting a shift... granted this is a rare occurrence but like any other piece of engineering, guns can become faulty and malfunction.

The few I personally witnessed were just down to idiots being idiots.

Even perfect drivers sometimes have minor accidents, with firearms you need to be educated on proper safety, always take precautions and be responsible!

brecon

WHAT WAS THE REPROMAND?

so if the four people on this forum who have witnessed or indeed have experienced accidental discharge of a firearm, would they care to expand more on this, as there is simply no excuse for this

A friend of mine (police officer) recently had his daily carry discharge on him by engaging the safety after chambering a round before starting a shift... granted this is a rare occurrence but like any other piece of engineering, guns can become faulty and malfunction.

Even perfect drivers sometimes have minor accidents, with firearms you need to be educated on proper safety, always take precautions and be responsible!"

I'm not sure it is standard procedure to carry a weapon "made ready" (with a round in the chamber), certainly wasn't when I carried a weapon unless you were actually engaged in combat.

Cambridge

WHAT WAS THE REPROMAND?

Even perfect drivers sometimes have minor accidents, with firearms you need to be educated on proper safety, always take precautions and be responsible!

I'm not sure it is standard procedure to carry a weapon "made ready" (with a round in the chamber), certainly wasn't when I carried a weapon unless you were actually engaged in combat. "

That's how many Americans, if not most, chose to concealed carry. Not a smart idea in my book.

brecon

WHAT WAS THE REPROMAND?

I'm not sure it is standard procedure to carry a weapon "made ready" (with a round in the chamber), certainly wasn't when I carried a weapon unless you were actually engaged in combat.

That's how many Americans, if not most, chose to concealed carry. Not a smart idea in my book."

Probably the reason for a lot of negligent discharges, some folk need protecting from themselves.

Cambridge

WHAT WAS THE REPROMAND?

That's how many Americans, if not most, chose to concealed carry. Not a smart idea in my book.

Probably the reason for a lot of negligent discharges, some folk need protecting from themselves. "

Yeah, it's just asking for trouble in my book. It's a hell of a lot harder to have a ND without a round in the chamber.

brecon

WHAT WAS THE REPROMAND?

Probably the reason for a lot of negligent discharges, some folk need protecting from themselves.

Yeah, it's just asking for trouble in my book. It's a hell of a lot harder to have a ND without a round in the chamber. "

Yeah, practically impossible, although some doofus would probably manage it just to prove me wrong lol!

"three less people would've been shot had there been no guns

Very true, but unfortunately we deal in the here and now, and the reality is that, in this case, lives were probably saved as a result of this adult being armed."

wrong ... it's an irrefutable fact that nobody would've been shot if there were no fire arms involved ... to imply otherwise is absolute idiotic nonsense

West London

WHAT WAS THE REPROMAND?

so if the four people on this forum who have witnessed or indeed have experienced accidental discharge of a firearm, would they care to expand more on this, as there is simply no excuse for this "

The point is that you are, once again, extrapolating your terms of reference to others. You may well be highly skilled and conscientious when handling a weapon or delivering or any manner of other tasks.

Many, many people are not. The course of action that You are advocating is that a large number of people with a little training and the occasional refresher course should have access to a weapon which many Will use irregularly.

Does this seem like a good idea?

You simply do not believe any of the research about increased risk of injury or death to people who keep weapons in their homes or the shooting accuracy of police officers in the USA or the reduction in shooting incidents when the NRA has their convention. You only believe your own experience, but you are not representative of almost anybody else. A population is made up of lots of people not representative of everyone else but their behaviour as a group is.

West London

These accidents don't happen every day ,"

Accidents do happen more frequently than every day. As do suicides.

60% of gun deaths in the USA are suicides. 505 deaths (1.5%) were accidental in 2013.

We won't have the figures to debate so on because the Trump administration has barred the Centre for Disease Control from gathering or analysing the statistics. You cannot debate what you have no information for, right?

WHAT WAS THE REPROMAND?

The point is that you are, once again, extrapolating your terms of reference to others. You may well be highly skilled and conscientious when handling a weapon or delivering or any manner of other tasks.

Many, many people are not. The course of action that You are advocating is that a large number of people with a little training and the occasional refresher course should have access to a weapon which many Will use irregularly.

You simply do not believe any of the research about increased risk of injury or death to people who keep weapons in their homes or the shooting accuracy of police officers in the USA or the reduction in shooting incidents when the NRA has their convention. You only believe your own experience, but you are not representative of almost anybody else. A population is made up of lots of people not representative of everyone else but their behaviour as a group is."

still awaiting your explanation on this;

WHAT WAS THE REPROMAND

the simple thing that some on here need is a plastic flag, part goes into the chamber with the triangle flag sticking out to show its impossible for any round to be in the chamber not that there should be anyway.

or indeed if bolt action the bolt should be removed prior to exiting the firing point

and ofcourse when moving with live round chambered "Safety" "Safety" "Safety"

again there is no excuse for accidental discharge.

in Lancashire

Cask, you responding to the past experiences of others by talking about plastic safety devices is a bit bizarre..

No one has said that they personally have had nd's recently so mentioning plastic flags?

Such things would not be applicable or sensible for military or police weapons in the situations they are required..

If they even were appropriate to the weapon..

Are you also suggesting that such things could be fitted to openly carried or concealed firearms in relation to teachers in the USA?

Not familiar with them to be honest so explain if you will if that is your suggested extra safety aspect for teachers etc..

Cambridge

"Cask, you responding to the past experiences of others by talking about plastic safety devices is a bit bizarre..

No one has said that they personally have had nd's recently so mentioning plastic flags?

Such things would not be applicable or sensible for military or police weapons in the situations they are required..

Are you also suggesting that such things could be fitted to openly carried or concealed firearms in relation to teachers in the USA?

Not familiar with them to be honest so explain if you will if that is your suggested extra safety aspect for teachers etc..

"

I know what he is talking about, and they can be useful for on ranges, or when a gun is being stored, but as you say, not for open or concealed carry. As lots of Americans carry with one in the chamber, it wouldn't work anyway.

He is just ignorant of the fact that NDs DO happen. It doesn't matter if it's police, military, civilians, it happens. In fact I gave him evidence above of 2 NDs happening on the same day, both in schools, involving one kid getting shot in the neck and he is still trying to deny it!

West London

WHAT WAS THE REPROMAND?

You simply do not believe any of the research about increased risk of injury or death to people who keep weapons in their homes or the shooting accuracy of police officers in the USA or the reduction in shooting incidents when the NRA has their convention. You only believe your own experience, but you are not representative of almost anybody else. A population is made up of lots of people not representative of everyone else but their behaviour as a group is.

WHAT WAS THE REPROMAND

the simple thing that some on here need is a plastic flag, part goes into the chamber with the triangle flag sticking out to show its impossible for any round to be in the chamber not that there should be anyway.

or indeed if bolt action the bolt should be removed prior to exiting the firing point

again there is no excuse for accidental discharge."

I don't know what the reprimand was. I'm sure that it was severe.

That isn't the point is it? The point is that it happened. The point is that casual users are more likely to have accidents because they do not drill.

Can you not get your head around the fact that other people are not you?

I've given you the statistics on accidental deaths, suicides and the accuracy of police hand gun accuracy. You choose not to believe based on your experience of yourself and a handful of other people.

You choose not to believe data on all manner of things because they do not align with your opinions, so there is nothing to discuss really because you "know" that you are right regardless of any information to the contrary. In fact, the more contrary data provided the more entrenched you become.

Futile really

West London

WHAT WAS THE REPROMAND?

WHAT WAS THE REPROMAND

again there is no excuse for accidental discharge."

I don't know what the reprimand was. I'm sure that it was severe.

That isn't the point is it? The point is that it happened. The point is that casual users are more likely to have accidents because they do not drill.

Can you not get your head around the fact that other people are not you?

I've given you the statistics on accidental deaths, suicides and the accuracy of police hand gun accuracy. You choose not to believe based on your experience of yourself and a handful of other people.

You choose not to believe data on all manner of things because they do not align with your opinions, so there is nothing to discuss really because you "know" that you are right regardless of any information to the contrary. In fact, the more contrary data provided the more entrenched you become.

Futile really

brecon

"three less people would've been shot had there been no guns

Very true, but unfortunately we deal in the here and now, and the reality is that, in this case, lives were probably saved as a result of this adult being armed.

wrong ... it's an irrefutable fact that nobody would've been shot if there were no fire arms involved ... to imply otherwise is absolute idiotic nonsense "

Oh my god!

By that logic, if the moon really was made of cheese then Aardman may have actually made a documentary about a day trip to it!

In cloud cuckoo land, where the lamb can lie down with the lion, and everyone loves and respects everyone, and guns were never invented, then yes, no-one would get shot, but try living in the reality... guns exist, this kid took one to school and started shooting, and was then stopped.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

You simply do not believe any of the research about increased risk of injury or death to people who keep weapons in their homes or the shooting accuracy of police officers in the USA or the reduction in shooting incidents when the NRA has their convention. You only believe your own experience, but you are not representative of almost anybody else. A population is made up of lots of people not representative of everyone else but their behaviour as a group is."

interesting that you mention research, because up until friday a republican/NRA inspired bill long ago had stopped the CDC for being able to do any research into guns and their influence in violence...

that finally went as part of the budget bill.....

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

I notice many here are talking about negligent discharges. I spent years in the armed forces and in all my time I only witnessed 1 negligent discharge and that was very early in basic training on a 25mtr range when a loaded browning 9mm was given to a left handed trainee who did not understand (or was told) that he needed to use 2 hands to control the weapon and it twisted out of his grip. The Range Officer and his Weapons Training Sgt were both charged with negligence and were out.

Negligent discharges are either an excuse to cover up more sinister actions or the result of poor, inadequate or insufficient firearms training.

Berlin

"I notice many here are talking about negligent discharges. I spent years in the armed forces and in all my time I only witnessed 1 negligent discharge and that was very early in basic training on a 25mtr range when a loaded browning 9mm was given to a left handed trainee who did not understand (or was told) that he needed to use 2 hands to control the weapon and it twisted out of his grip. The Range Officer and his Weapons Training Sgt were both charged with negligence and were out.

Negligent discharges are either an excuse to cover up more sinister actions or the result of poor, inadequate or insufficient firearms training. "

Thanks for this, maybe a story of someone being reprimanded for an ND will cheer him up!

"I notice many here are talking about negligent discharges. I spent years in the armed forces and in all my time I only witnessed 1 negligent discharge and that was very early in basic training on a 25mtr range when a loaded browning 9mm was given to a left handed trainee who did not understand (or was told) that he needed to use 2 hands to control the weapon and it twisted out of his grip. The Range Officer and his Weapons Training Sgt were both charged with negligence and were out.

Negligent discharges are either an excuse to cover up more sinister actions or the result of poor, inadequate or insufficient firearms training. "

excuse the language; but im fucking glad someone recognises this

Are you able to accept that your experiences, however important they are to you, are an extremely limited proportion of human experience?"

care to share both your experiences, or are they secret?

"Cask, you responding to the past experiences of others by talking about plastic safety devices is a bit bizarre..

I know what he is talking about, and they can be useful for on ranges, or when a gun is being stored, but as you say, not for open or concealed carry. As lots of Americans carry with one in the chamber, it wouldn't work anyway.

He is just ignorant of the fact that NDs DO happen. It doesn't matter if it's police, military, civilians, it happens. In fact I gave him evidence above of 2 NDs happening on the same day, both in schools, involving one kid getting shot in the neck and he is still trying to deny it! "

I am in no way denying that here are accidental discharges, but what I am saying is that if such a discharge ever happened then the person who had the accidental discharge should have his firearms certificate withdrawn until fully retrained and tested.

If this happened to police or military, the person should be fully reprimanded and demoted.

As for handguns the understanding of the safety is essential

tell me how an accidental discharge of a hand gun would happen when the majority of handguns require a double pull to fire, first pull to cock, 2nd to fire

Normally with a revolver you use your thumb to cock the hammer back so that you can accurately fire using one pull, but of course you can do this using trigger alone, but in no way would that be an accidental discharge.

Similar method with the semi auto 1911, and no way are you going to tell me that people walk around with a 1911, a round in chamber and semi cocked,

even with a trigger job, which ive had on my gold cup, you still require around 4lb of pull.

Again anyone who has an accidental discharge should have firearms removed

Cambridge

He is just ignorant of the fact that NDs DO happen. It doesn't matter if it's police, military, civilians, it happens. In fact I gave him evidence above of 2 NDs happening on the same day, both in schools, involving one kid getting shot in the neck and he is still trying to deny it!

I am in no way denying that here are accidental discharges, but what I am saying is that if such a discharge ever happened then the person who had the accidental discharge should have his firearms certificate withdrawn until fully retrained and tested.

If this happened to police or military, the person should be fully reprimanded and demoted.

tell me how an accidental discharge of a hand gun would happen when the majority of handguns require a double pull to fire, first pull to cock, 2nd to fire

Normally with a revolver you use your thumb to cock the hammer back so that you can accurately fire using one pull, but of course you can do this using trigger alone, but in no way would that be an accidental discharge.

Similar method with the semi auto 1911, and no way are you going to tell me that people walk around with a 1911, a round in chamber and semi cocked,

even with a trigger job, which ive had on my gold cup, you still require around 4lb of pull.

Again anyone who has an accidental discharge should have firearms removed "

https://youtu.be/VFXp1R1lxe8

Here is a YouTube video of a firearms academy telling people to carry their 1911 with a round in the chamber, and the hammer cocked back.

Watch it, and look at the other videos suggested by YouTube on the same topic, this is a very very common way to carry in the US.

Berlin

Again anyone who has an accidental discharge should have firearms removed

https://youtu.be/VFXp1R1lxe8

Here is a YouTube video of a firearms academy telling people to carry their 1911 with a round in the chamber, and the hammer cocked back.

Watch it, and look at the other videos suggested by YouTube on the same topic, this is a very very common way to carry in the US. "

Not just in the US...

Cambridge

Negligent discharges are either an excuse to cover up more sinister actions or the result of poor, inadequate or insufficient firearms training.

excuse the language; but im fucking glad someone recognises this "

Everyone recognises this. I would add to that list poor procedures, and, in some cases, poor firearm design. For example the US Army are retiring the venerable Beretta M9 and have replaced it with Sig Sauer P320. Unfortunately poor design of the P320 means that it is NOT drop safe, and will fire if dropped or dumped with a round in the chamber, with the safety on. This is a fundamental flaw for any firearm, but doubly so for a military firearm who although hopefully don't drop their firearms very often, are often bumped around, inside vehicles, jumping out of helicopters and planes etc.