FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Trump kicks off a global trade war

Trump kicks off a global trade war

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

which has depressed the stockmarket. There's also 'very real concerns' now about the USA's protectionist stance causing a recession. So much for a free trade deal with america then

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

There's no specifics been announced yet.

Let's just say Donald Trump has India and China in his sights.

Expect specifics next week, when industry experts and political allies have had a word in his ear.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Generally not a positive thing - but I also think the topic of protectionism is systematically lied about.

Suppose that protectionism is bad between nations - but is linked to other externalities - that could explain why nations periodically do it.

I'm not defending the policy itself but I do think 99% of people, including 90% of intelligent people - are consistently wrong on such a wide array of important subjects that it wouldn't be shocking were there things about protectionism that make sense.

For instance the West is experiencing a technological decline as we wander around with our smartphones. If you think about it hard it's obvious - the prices of most goods and services are not experiencing large decreases which they would be if we were experiencing large scale technological affects on markets. We also can't really point to new technologies in the last 40 years *that have affected our lives*, the exception of course being computers and the internet. Take away those two and it looks really bad.

So one possibility is that increased protectionism reduces returns for overseas investors. This funnels money crudely into forms of investments that are not trade related, like making new products and services.

This idea suggests a seesaw relationship between technological capital investment and trade capital investment, which I think if you examine history you'll see is a real phenomena. Lots of hi tech after World War 1, but very little trade until globalization opened up again with China about 40 years ago.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"There's no specifics been announced yet.

Expect specifics next week, when industry experts and political allies have had a word in his ear."

In his sights for a trade deal or a nuke attack? Hard to tell at the moment.

-Matt

"Generally not a positive thing - but I also think the topic of protectionism is systematically lied about.

Suppose that protectionism is bad between nations - but is linked to other externalities - that could explain why nations periodically do it.

I'm not defending the policy itself but I do think 99% of people, including 90% of intelligent people - are consistently wrong on such a wide array of important subjects that it wouldn't be shocking were there things about protectionism that make sense.

For instance the West is experiencing a technological decline as we wander around with our smartphones. If you think about it hard it's obvious - the prices of most goods and services are not experiencing large decreases which they would be if we were experiencing large scale technological affects on markets. We also can't really point to new technologies in the last 40 years *that have affected our lives*, the exception of course being computers and the internet. Take away those two and it looks really bad."

I disagree to some extent.

We have seen such a rapid change in technology outside of computing systems.

More advanced robotics systems for manufacturing.

Better medicine.

Rapid advancements in renewable energy and biotechnology.

The tech is there, our governments are just too slow to keep up, not to mention that usually our leaders and cabinet members do not understand them.

Grantham

Expect specifics next week, when industry experts and political allies have had a word in his ear.

In his sights for a trade deal or a nuke attack? Hard to tell at the moment.

-Matt"

Ha ha. I was talking trade but you just never know.......

Grantham

There's already trouble brewing between the USA and China, over the US ban on Huawei equipment, including smartphones.

The US cite "security concerns". Others say that the Huawei is better and cheaper than the comparable Apple products.

You can see a Huawei smartphone remotely driving a Porsche on Youtube, should you wish to.

"Generally not a positive thing - but I also think the topic of protectionism is systematically lied about.

For instance the West is experiencing a technological decline as we wander around with our smartphones. If you think about it hard it's obvious - the prices of most goods and services are not experiencing large decreases which they would be if we were experiencing large scale technological affects on markets. We also can't really point to new technologies in the last 40 years *that have affected our lives*, the exception of course being computers and the internet. Take away those two and it looks really bad.

Better medicine.

The tech is there, our governments are just too slow to keep up, not to mention that usually our leaders and cabinet members do not understand them."

To clarify: I'm not making a hand waving vague statement - I'm saying that since the 1970s technological progress has slowed down in most areas that aren't computer related. Energy production, drug/med production, agricultural yields. The speed of change in all these areas is lower than it was in the past.

The claim isn't that no change has occurred, that's obviously not true, but that it is much slower change, closer to plateau in comparison to other periods of technological change in the West. I'm saying if you take any 40 year period and go back until the start of the Industrial Revolution you'll see much bigger change affecting far more people (relative terms).

Like the self driving car Level 5 - it's going to be great when that finally arrives but it doesn't compare to the actual car replacing the horse for most households.

That is within the set 'computing' technically. Robots are mostly computers interacting in the physical realm. However there is a law of Artificial Intelligence called Moravec's Paradox which states useful work to do with information processing that is hard for humans to do, is easy for computers, and useful work humans are good at (like just walking around) is insanely difficult for computers, even with the latest advances in AI we've been hearing about. Self driving cars may appear to be an exception to this but they are not; because driving is a very controlled environment in comparison to walking down a high street.

Better medicine.

Sorry. no. It's not a perfect metric but people aren't living longer in the West, that trend recently reversed itself, last ten years I think.

More important is that the big possible innovations - like replacement artificial organs - these are still science fiction. If you look at newspapers from decades ago they expected that sort of thing many years ago and it has not happened, always ten years in the future that never arrived. We've been wrong on this before.

The most compelling evidence is a law in pharmaceuticals called Eroom's Law. That is Moore's Law spelt backwards. Every nine years the cost of drug R&D doubles. This is despite better investigative tools like xray crystallography and faster cheaper genome sequencing (side affect of computation). To see this is real look at the reports of corporations disbanding their R&D divisions. Most of them have done that, there aren't that many large companies doing any R&D now. That's really bad. The smartest people in the room don't believe in progress, it's bad.

Solar power has improved yes, not so much other items like tidal.

I don't think even theoretically renewable are impressive at their most efficient when compared to the prodigal quantity of power possible if breakthroughs in fusion or fission were real but let's look at biotech because I think that is your weakest example of them all.

Yes biotech has been talked about a lot. I submit to you that not a single biotech advance has improved your life and CRISPR is but one of a line of journey markers which promised to change everything.

I do believe biotech can change our lives for the better, I just think we've defacto made that impossible because of politics and because it is much harder than it has been made out to be to the public.

If you look at the promises made when DNA was discovered, and decades later when the Human Genome Project succeeded, and then when sequencing became cheap.... they are all the same.

The newest biotechnology you interacted with was your morning yoghurt. They don't produce hardly any biotech related drugs. There's a special category of drugs that are related to the human genome, to personalized medicine, and they are for obscure diseases I've never heard of, I think about ten are produced per year. Ten, when we need and were promised millions so each individual had their own tailored products.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

The parallels with the 1930s are uncanny.

impressive waffle, but the reality is that trump tweeted about the move an hour ago and the markets dived further as everyone offloaded metals and mining shares

"The parallels with the 1930s are uncanny."

It's true this century so far has a lot of parallels to the start of the previous one.

Because I'm contrarian I think cyclical theories of history are underrated today, I think most of us tacitly believe in 'Progress' and that's a bit too theological for me, too similar to Christian beliefs about reality which says to me that our 'secularism' is often thinly veiled religion and we don't think too hard about that, falsely dividing ideas into religion and not-religion.

If you look to the Roman Empire as many people have done over time, there are clear similarities between our culture and theirs, less so to people during the Middle/Dark ages. You or I would have more in common with a Seneca or Cicero than a medieval lord. That suggests a couple of perhaps not-obvious conclusions: like our descendants could be more backwards than we are, or that our ideas about the world, reality could be extremely predictable and tied to something mundane like interest rates. Like if some economic indicator is at X then people believe global warming is a challenge whereas if they are at Y then people believe their priority is to give blood to the Blood God.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Expect specifics next week, when industry experts and political allies have had a word in his ear."

And Canada.

"impressive waffle"

" impressive"

I'll take it!

I like my waffles with strawberries and slightly too much whipped cream.

Fortunately these are both local products unaffected by protectionist policy

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

Better medicine.

The tech is there, our governments are just too slow to keep up, not to mention that usually our leaders and cabinet members do not understand them.

To clarify: I'm not making a hand waving vague statement - I'm saying that since the 1970s technological progress has slowed down in most areas that aren't computer related. Energy production, drug/med production, agricultural yields. The speed of change in all these areas is lower than it was in the past.

The claim isn't that no change has occurred, that's obviously not true, but that it is much slower change, closer to plateau in comparison to other periods of technological change in the West. I'm saying if you take any 40 year period and go back until the start of the Industrial Revolution you'll see much bigger change affecting far more people (relative terms).

Like the self driving car Level 5 - it's going to be great when that finally arrives but it doesn't compare to the actual car replacing the horse for most households.

That is within the set 'computing' technically. Robots are mostly computers interacting in the physical realm. However there is a law of Artificial Intelligence called Moravec's Paradox which states useful work to do with information processing that is hard for humans to do, is easy for computers, and useful work humans are good at (like just walking around) is insanely difficult for computers, even with the latest advances in AI we've been hearing about. Self driving cars may appear to be an exception to this but they are not; because driving is a very controlled environment in comparison to walking down a high street.

Better medicine.

Sorry. no. It's not a perfect metric but people aren't living longer in the West, that trend recently reversed itself, last ten years I think.

More important is that the big possible innovations - like replacement artificial organs - these are still science fiction. If you look at newspapers from decades ago they expected that sort of thing many years ago and it has not happened, always ten years in the future that never arrived. We've been wrong on this before.

The most compelling evidence is a law in pharmaceuticals called Eroom's Law. That is Moore's Law spelt backwards. Every nine years the cost of drug R&D doubles. This is despite better investigative tools like xray crystallography and faster cheaper genome sequencing (side affect of computation). To see this is real look at the reports of corporations disbanding their R&D divisions. Most of them have done that, there aren't that many large companies doing any R&D now. That's really bad. The smartest people in the room don't believe in progress, it's bad.

Solar power has improved yes, not so much other items like tidal.

I don't think even theoretically renewable are impressive at their most efficient when compared to the prodigal quantity of power possible if breakthroughs in fusion or fission were real but let's look at biotech because I think that is your weakest example of them all.

Yes biotech has been talked about a lot. I submit to you that not a single biotech advance has improved your life and CRISPR is but one of a line of journey markers which promised to change everything.

I do believe biotech can change our lives for the better, I just think we've defacto made that impossible because of politics and because it is much harder than it has been made out to be to the public.

If you look at the promises made when DNA was discovered, and decades later when the Human Genome Project succeeded, and then when sequencing became cheap.... they are all the same.

The newest biotechnology you interacted with was your morning yoghurt. They don't produce hardly any biotech related drugs. There's a special category of drugs that are related to the human genome, to personalized medicine, and they are for obscure diseases I've never heard of, I think about ten are produced per year. Ten, when we need and were promised millions so each individual had their own tailored products."

I think that your analysis of each sector is about right, although you are significantly underrating the advances is a lot of industries because you cannot see the huge technological advances that have made them infinitely more efficient.

For example, an aeroplane still looks like an aeroplane but there have been huge advances in material design for light weight and strength and temperatures, drag reduction and engine efficiency to increase range. Non stop to Australia is not a small step.

I think that you are also missing the fact that new technologies develop very slowly for a while then ramp up rapidly, but over time incremental changes are smaller.

There are many mature industries, but also many new ones.

The big new technology has been communications. Are you really saying that social media haven't significantly changed the entire course of history in the last couple of years? Alternate facts anyone?

I think that you are viewing technology far too narrowly as "things". This is, unfortunately, also how most people view trade. "Stuff" is no longer the most valuable commodity.

West London

On topic though, Trump does not really know what he is doing other than keeping a promise that he doesn't understand the consequences of.

He's never actually run a company that makes things. He's never had more than a few employees. He buys and sells property and has things built. He "does deals" in the loosest possible sense of the word.

It will be a good few years before domestic production can even start to ramp up. In that time steel will be far more expensive in the US so prices will go up. Even then US companies will only invest if they think that imports will be kept low. You don't make investment decisions that significant on a two or three year horizon.

Trump has never had to think beyond the end of the year. Currently his attention span seems limited to 280 characters.

Grantham

And Canada."

Yes. As the courts found in favour of Canadian firm Bombardier in their airplane spat, I would imagine that Trump is stomping around like a petulant child vowing revenge!

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

Seems like the alcoholic buffoon Jean Claude D*unker has sparked the threat of a trade war between the EU and USA now. Jean Claude Junker made comments about putting up tariffs into the EU from American products like blue jeans, so now Trump has responded by saying he is looking at putting up tariffs on cars coming into America from the EU.

Slow.Hand.Clap.for.Juncker.

West London

"Seems like the alcoholic buffoon Jean Claude D*unker has sparked the threat of a trade war between the EU and USA now. Jean Claude Junker made comments about putting up tariffs into the EU from American products like blue jeans, so now Trump has responded by saying he is looking at putting up tariffs on cars coming into America from the EU.

Slow.Hand.Clap.for.Juncker. "

Juncker is a numpty, but are you really claiming that Trump did not kick this all off?

Cannock

"Seems like the alcoholic buffoon Jean Claude D*unker has sparked the threat of a trade war between the EU and USA now. Jean Claude Junker made comments about putting up tariffs into the EU from American products like blue jeans, so now Trump has responded by saying he is looking at putting up tariffs on cars coming into America from the EU.

Juncker is a numpty, but are you really claiming that Trump did not kick this all off?"

Trump was having a spat with China over steel and aluminium. Now Junker has opened his mouth and dragged the EU into it.

West London

Juncker is a numpty, but are you really claiming that Trump did not kick this all off?

Trump was having a spat with China over steel and aluminium. Now Junker has opened his mouth and dragged the EU into it. "

Go away and do a little research.

Who is Trump planning to raise tariffs against?

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

What happened the last time an American administration decided to place tariffs on imports and start a protectionist trade war (as Trump is doing now)?

Hint, you need to look at what happened in 1929 and 1930.

Anyone notice any other similarities between today and the late 1920's and 30's?

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

Trump was having a spat with China over steel and aluminium. Now Junker has opened his mouth and dragged the EU into it. "

For goodness sake, how one eyed can you be? The EU, including the UK, was already involved: we do produce steel and aluminium and export it to the USA. Thank goodness we arent pinning our hopes on a free trade deal with the USA.....ooops

"On topic though, Trump does not really know what he is doing other than keeping a promise that he doesn't understand the consequences of.

He's never actually run a company that makes things. He's never had more than a few employees. He buys and sells property and has things built. He "does deals" in the loosest possible sense of the word.

It will be a good few years before domestic production can even start to ramp up. In that time steel will be far more expensive in the US so prices will go up. Even then US companies will only invest if they think that imports will be kept low. You don't make investment decisions that significant on a two or three year horizon.

Trump has never had to think beyond the end of the year. Currently his attention span seems limited to 280 characters."

you think he is such a low life and yet he is President of the United States, if this low life can achieve so much, what does that make you?

"On topic though, Trump does not really know what he is doing other than keeping a promise that he doesn't understand the consequences of.

Trump has never had to think beyond the end of the year. Currently his attention span seems limited to 280 characters.

you think he is such a low life and yet he is President of the United States, if this low life can achieve so much, what does that make you?"

Amazing what money can do! If trump didn't have money he would not have achieved his current post. However, what does that say about a country who can elect a completely unsuitable candidate as the leader of the free world. He is playing with it like the apprentice show - only difference is there are a lot of people who aren't scared of him!

moston

"Amazing what money can do! If trump didn't have money he would not have achieved his current post. However, what does that say about a country who can elect a completely unsuitable candidate as the leader of the free world. He is playing with it like the apprentice show - only difference is there are a lot of people who aren't scared of him!"

According to an article I have seen if Trump had invested the money his father gave him in the DOW top hundred companies rather than in his businesses he would now be worth some $6 billion more than he claims to be worth today.

"Amazing what money can do! If trump didn't have money he would not have achieved his current post. However, what does that say about a country who can elect a completely unsuitable candidate as the leader of the free world. He is playing with it like the apprentice show - only difference is there are a lot of people who aren't scared of him!

According to an article I have seen if Trump had invested the money his father gave him in the DOW top hundred companies rather than in his businesses he would now be worth some $6 billion more than he claims to be worth today."

please share

now the orange turd-burger is publically announcing that he wants to follow the chinese communist model and install himself as lifetime dictator .... how very predictable

"now the orange turd-burger is publically announcing that he wants to follow the chinese communist model and install himself as lifetime dictator .... how very predictable "

.... aan all this to top off on his escalation of the trade war he started and so badly wants. is there no bottom to how low this fat twat can sink when it comes to being a moronic imbecile?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"now the orange turd-burger is publically announcing that he wants to follow the chinese communist model and install himself as lifetime dictator .... how very predictable

.... aan all this to top off on his escalation of the trade war he started and so badly wants. is there no bottom to how low this fat twat can sink when it comes to being a moronic imbecile?"

He attracts similar minded it seems..

"now the orange turd-burger is publically announcing that he wants to follow the chinese communist model and install himself as lifetime dictator .... how very predictable

.... aan all this to top off on his escalation of the trade war he started and so badly wants. is there no bottom to how low this fat twat can sink when it comes to being a moronic imbecile?

He attracts similar minded it seems.. "

it's what happens ... it's like a weird right wing version of covalent bonding .... eventually they will achieve critical mass and disappear up their own existance in puff of green fart

Barbados

Every time Trump opens his mouth it show how little he knows or understands. e.g. the latest tweet:

"If the E.U. wants to further increase their already massive tariffs and barriers on U.S. companies doing business there, we will simply apply a Tax on their Cars which freely pour into the U.S. They make it impossible for our cars (and more) to sell there. Big trade imbalance!"

Your lovely German high end autos are not a price sensitive market. My boss in California had a Porsche 911, two Cayennes, a GT3, and a Panamera. Her father had two very very nice Mercs (one with butt air conditioning). You could probably double the price and they would still not waver of their support. I've never seen so many European high end cars as driving around LA.

And why don't we import their cars here? Mostly because they are crap, unsuitable for our market/roads, or both. How many F150 pickups do you see down our narrow roads?

To put some numbers on this, the US export something like $50B/annum in cars, Germany export something like three times that at $150B/annum. Not only that but German car makers actually have plants in the US --in Alabama, Tennessee, and South Carolina, places where I'd guess Trump might have quite a lot of support. In fact over a quarter of all German cars sold in the US are built in the US. And around half the cars built in the US are exported overseas.

So, in short, the guy is a fucking idiot.

-Matt

Trump was having a spat with China over steel and aluminium. Now Junker has opened his mouth and dragged the EU into it.

Every time Trump opens his mouth it show how little he knows or understands. e.g. the latest tweet:

"If the E.U. wants to further increase their already massive tariffs and barriers on U.S. companies doing business there, we will simply apply a Tax on their Cars which freely pour into the U.S. They make it impossible for our cars (and more) to sell there. Big trade imbalance!"

Your lovely German high end autos are not a price sensitive market. My boss in California had a Porsche 911, two Cayennes, a GT3, and a Panamera. Her father had two very very nice Mercs (one with butt air conditioning). You could probably double the price and they would still not waver of their support. I've never seen so many European high end cars as driving around LA.

And why don't we import their cars here? Mostly because they are crap, unsuitable for our market/roads, or both. How many F150 pickups do you see down our narrow roads?

To put some numbers on this, the US export something like $50B/annum in cars, Germany export something like three times that at $150B/annum. Not only that but German car makers actually have plants in the US --in Alabama, Tennessee, and South Carolina, places where I'd guess Trump might have quite a lot of support. In fact over a quarter of all German cars sold in the US are built in the US. And around half the cars built in the US are exported overseas.

-Matt"

The GMC YUKON is an amazing vehicle for road trips, open suit cases& cooler in back, take out what you need for each hotel stop, cant do that in your little Porsche.

and to say"why don't we import their cars here? Mostly because they are crap" is total bullshit, most have far more technology built in than any UK model

maybe you should get out more Matt, try driving some of these American built cars / SUV's

-Matt"

Mercedes-Benz is celebrating 20 years of producing vehicles in Vance, Alabama. In addition to the compact C-Class, the plant also assembles the GLE-class of luxury midsize SUVs and our top-ranked luxury large SUV, the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS. The GLS is a new model for 2017, replacing the Mercedes GL.

.the midsize SUV segment is the 2018 Volkswagen Atlas, which is produced alongside the 2017 Volkswagen Passat in Chattanooga, Tennessee

Princeton, Indiana-built 2017 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

The Princeton plant also produces the non-hybrid Highlander, the Toyota Sequoia large SUV, and the Sienna minivan.

Kia celebrated the production of the one millionth Sorento at their West Point, Georgia manufacturing plant. The midsize SUV has been produced at the facility since 2009

It once would have been heresy to imagine BMW building cars outside of their native Germany, but now the largest plant in the company’s portfolio produces SUVs in South Carolina. The assembly facility can produce up to 450,000 BMW X3, X4, X5, and X6 vehicles per year

The CR-V’s sale success requires Honda to use three factories to satisfy U.S. demand. The compact SUV is built in East Liberty, Ohio; Greensburg, Indiana; and Alliston, Ontario, Canada

Did your boss no tell you that Matt

Barbados

-Matt

The GMC YUKON is an amazing vehicle for road trips, open suit cases& cooler in back, take out what you need for each hotel stop, cant do that in your little Porsche.

and to say"why don't we import their cars here? Mostly because they are crap" is total bullshit, most have far more technology built in than any UK model

maybe you should get out more Matt, try driving some of these American built cars / SUV's"

I do get out (hence seeing so many Porsches driving in LA, for example). And I have driven some American built cars and SUVS. In America. Where the roads a bigger, and the fuel cheaper. That is my point.

And I'm sure the GMC Yukon is a fantastic vehicle... in the Yukon. But it sure as hell won't fit on my driveway.

-Matt

Barbados

-Matt

Mercedes-Benz is celebrating 20 years of producing vehicles in Vance, Alabama. In addition to the compact C-Class, the plant also assembles the GLE-class of luxury midsize SUVs and our top-ranked luxury large SUV, the 2017 Mercedes-Benz GLS. The GLS is a new model for 2017, replacing the Mercedes GL.

.the midsize SUV segment is the 2018 Volkswagen Atlas, which is produced alongside the 2017 Volkswagen Passat in Chattanooga, Tennessee

Princeton, Indiana-built 2017 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

The Princeton plant also produces the non-hybrid Highlander, the Toyota Sequoia large SUV, and the Sienna minivan.

Kia celebrated the production of the one millionth Sorento at their West Point, Georgia manufacturing plant. The midsize SUV has been produced at the facility since 2009

It once would have been heresy to imagine BMW building cars outside of their native Germany, but now the largest plant in the company’s portfolio produces SUVs in South Carolina. The assembly facility can produce up to 450,000 BMW X3, X4, X5, and X6 vehicles per year

The CR-V’s sale success requires Honda to use three factories to satisfy U.S. demand. The compact SUV is built in East Liberty, Ohio; Greensburg, Indiana; and Alliston, Ontario, Canada

Did your boss no tell you that Matt

"

No, she did't. But I told you that in my post above if you care to read it. As I said, Trump is an idiot. But thank you for adding in some more numbers. I didn't bother as I know you'd have run out of fingers and toes by then.

-Matt

Cannock

-Matt

maybe you should get out more Matt, try driving some of these American built cars / SUV's"

American car companies do make some fantastic cars. If you take a look at the 2017/2018 consumer reports car guide and in the top 20 car brands worldwide for reliability, European car companies have 5 brands in the top 20, which are.....

Audi

BMW

Mercedes

Porsche

VW

American car companies also have 5 brands in the top 20, which are....

Buick

Ford

Chrysler

Chevrolet

Jeep

By far and away the best and most reliable cars in the consumer guide though are Japanese and Korean car companies like Toyota, Honda, KIA, Subaru, Mazda, Nissan and Lexus.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

this is one of those "Centy knows nothing" platitudes that he spouts from time to time.... soundbites that don't aren't true...

china actually only account from 2% of imports of steel and aluminium into the US....

Do you know which country would be affected by this the most... that hardline communist state called "Canada"......... i know... the pinko bastards!!!!

it would actually affect australia as well weirdly enough.... i know.. going after those countries that really turn the screw on trump!!!

the EU does export some... which is why juncker spoke up and talks about taiffs on stuff like harley davison bikes, levi jeans and american burbons and whiskeys....

so this morning trump talks about adding cars imported from the EU on his list..... this would affect germany obviously, next biggest country it would affect.... dear old blighty!!!!!

so my question would be is he going after countries that have the huge trade imbalances... or is he going after the countries he thinks he can bully.....

after all... he talks tough on china, but after doesn't do anything... yet he is always picking fights with so called "allies"

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

American car companies do make some fantastic cars. If you take a look at the 2017/2018 consumer reports car guide and in the top 20 car brands worldwide for reliability, European car companies have 5 brands in the top 20, which are.....

Audi

BMW

Mercedes

Porsche

VW

American car companies also have 5 brands in the top 20, which are....

Buick

Ford

Chrysler

Chevrolet

Jeep

By far and away the best and most reliable cars in the consumer guide though are Japanese and Korean car companies like Toyota, Honda, KIA, Subaru, Mazda, Nissan and Lexus.

"

that may well be true centy.... but here is the hard kicker...

they don't make all cars in all countries.....

so if someone wants a specific type of audi, or bmw, or porsche or merc for example...... where is that car coming from????

i know you love a range rover.... what about them... or those astons... or mclarens... or jags..... or roll's those built here are still need to be exported...

West London

you think he is such a low life and yet he is President of the United States, if this low life can achieve so much, what does that make you?"

Hitler and Stalin and Mao and Idi Amin and Mugabe and Putin are low lifes and "achieved" a lot.

Leaders of drug cartels are low lifes. They achieve rather a lot.

Great analogy.

West London

Go away and do a little research.

Who is Trump planning to raise tariffs against?"

Century, are you able to accept that you may have got this wrong?

15% of UK steel production goes to the US.

15% of UK car manufacturing goes to the US. For completeness 56% to the EU and and a further 9% to countries Sith whom we have an EU trade deal with.

Luckily Trump is our friend and we are first in the queue for a "great" deal. Assuming that we go as supplicants. Is this the "control" and "greatness" that you had in mind?

-Matt

maybe you should get out more Matt, try driving some of these American built cars / SUV's

I do get out (hence seeing so many Porsches driving in LA, for example). And I have driven some American built cars and SUVS. In America. Where the roads a bigger, and the fuel cheaper. That is my point.

And I'm sure the GMC Yukon is a fantastic vehicle... in the Yukon. But it sure as hell won't fit on my driveway.

-Matt"

You will be surprised where a GMC Yukon will take you, and for it to get all the way down to the beach on Maui to access the well known "JAWS" surf location if it goes down that road it will venture down any road.

West London

-Matt

-Matt

You will be surprised where a GMC Yukon will take you, and for it to get all the way down to the beach on Maui to access the well known "JAWS" surf location if it goes down that road it will venture down any road. "

It will struggle to venture down a city centre road...but you don't have the imagination to think beyond your own experience

-Matt

-Matt

You will be surprised where a GMC Yukon will take you, and for it to get all the way down to the beach on Maui to access the well known "JAWS" surf location if it goes down that road it will venture down any road.

It will struggle to venture down a city centre road...but you don't have the imagination to think beyond your own experience "

not much bigger than a hilux son, and a hilux will go places most cars cannot go

Newcastle and Gateshead

see.... the EU are being smart here, the products that are being target will also split the republican party...

the bourbons whisky's... made in kentucky, home of senate majority leader Mitch McConnell

Harley Davidson bikes.... made in Wisconsin, home of house majority leader Paul Ryan....

both of them are actually getting huge blowbacks in there own states over this already........

the weird thing about what trump is saying is this..... trump is saying this is aimed at canada and mexico to basically get them to budge in NAFTA talks.... and the EU happens to be collateral damage....

which is why the EU is irate...

it was a attempt to change the narrative from all the leavings and issues of last week..... but it will certainly scramble the map in the midterm.... where if they have to start defending wisconsin and kentucky and midwestern states... they are going to be trouble.....

Global alarm bells are sounding though with fears of a full scale tariff war since the 1930s which has been raised by the World Trade Organisation in a direct warning to Trump about his proposed levies on steel and aluminium ..this may trigger a domino effect that will surely lead to a global recession

"Global alarm bells are sounding though with fears of a full scale tariff war since the 1930s which has been raised by the World Trade Organisation in a direct warning to Trump about his proposed levies on steel and aluminium ..this may trigger a domino effect that will surely lead to a global recession

"

Afraid you could be right, but not just a recession - history repeating itself. We all know what happened next....

On a positive side we have some "warriors " on here who will sort it all our in a couple of days

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

Slow.Hand.Clap.for.Juncker. "

Well, it was on BBC business news this morning that the tariff on cars from the EU to the US is 2.5%, the EU places a 10% tariff on imported cars from the US. So I suppose Trump may have a point.

No wonder many on here take everything you say as bullshit Centaur with utter fabrication as this post of yours

LOL many on here

think you will find its the same ones that post all the time

Grantham

Now one of Trump's top economic advisers has quit over this decision.

Gary Cohn was a strong supporter of free trade.

Cannock

No wonder many on here take everything you say as bullshit Centaur with utter fabrication as this post of yours "

Was Trump talking about putting a tariff or tax on cars from the EU before Junckers intervention?

I think you'll find the answer to that question is an emphatic No. It's Junckers comments about Levi jeans and other American products that have escalated this to include the threat of tariffs being slapped on cars from the EU.

in Lancashire

So the EU respond to trumps steel and aluminium tariff threats and its all the EUs fault when it escalates?

Fuck off with that bollocks..

Bully starts fight then blames the other guy for hitting him back..

The logic of a moron..

Hit the Chevy with a levy and tax your whisky and rye.

Barbados

"Hit the Chevy with a levy and tax your whisky and rye.

"

Ha!

-Matt

Newcastle and Gateshead

trumps only gone and signed the Executive order for this.....

put your levi jeans, harley bike and as much jim bean and jack daniels as you can now.... lol

and cranberry juice.......

can't believe the dipshit went thru with it....

and notice again he did it after wall street had shut for the day!!!!

in Lancashire

but not Canada and Mexico it seems..

bizarre behaviour again, but wait surely he will build lots of his own hotels with US steel..

just like in the past..

Newcastle and Gateshead

"but not Canada and Mexico it seems..

bizarre behaviour again, but wait surely he will build lots of his own hotels with US steel..

just like in the past.. "

those two are only exempt whilst talks to redo NAFTA are ongoing.......

but there is enough backlash from huge donors happening that as soon as the EU and china put up the list of tariffs in retaliation.... he will back down...

in fact.... paul ryan is pissed off as he now has harley davidson on his back (they manufacture in wisconsin)

Grantham

[Removed by poster at 08/03/18 21:46:09]

Grantham

Seems the Mexico and Canada exemptions are maybe to gain leverage in the ongoing trade talks.

Other countries can negotiate exemptions and lower tariffs but "dumping" countries such as China, don't export that much to the US anyway. (11th on the list of steel exporters to the US).

Cannock

"Seems the Mexico and Canada exemptions are maybe to gain leverage in the ongoing trade talks.

Other countries can negotiate exemptions and lower tariffs but "dumping" countries such as China, don't export that much to the US anyway. (11th on the list of steel exporters to the US)."

Trump said exceptions and exemptions can be made for "real friends". People can make of that what they like but I wonder if Trump sees the UK as a 'real friend' outside of the EU. If he does then exceptions and exemptions can be made for the UK after Brexit if Trump wants to continue having a trade war with the EU.

moston

"Trump said exceptions and exemptions can be made for "real friends". People can make of that what they like but I wonder if Trump sees the UK as a 'real friend' outside of the EU. If he does then exceptions and exemptions can be made for the UK after Brexit if Trump wants to continue having a trade war with the EU. "

That post sort of sums you up Centy. Although Trump shits on his own people daily and cant hold on a single non conflict position for more than a couple of days, all he needs to do is angle a possibility that he might be nice to you cant stop yourself grabbing for it.

It is such a shame, how can you be so addicted to the rhetoric of proven liars? What is their hold over you? Are your politics really that flawed? Or are you just a classic confidence tricksters mark, who has invested so much in the get rich quick scheme that no matter how many times the payout fails to materialise when they get the next email from the Nigerian Price saying he only needs another £10,000 and the £40,000,000 will be in your account you just cant help adding the ten grand to your credit card while hiding from the bailiffs at the front door?

moston

By the way less than 2% of all steel imported to the USA comes from China. And the first thing Trump did when he got into office was oversee the steel for the 2 oil pipelines he promised would be made with US steel was contracted to China...

Just like as he was banning immigration he was also getting an exemption for Mar-a-Lago and Trump Hotels.

Cannock

"Trump said exceptions and exemptions can be made for "real friends". People can make of that what they like but I wonder if Trump sees the UK as a 'real friend' outside of the EU. If he does then exceptions and exemptions can be made for the UK after Brexit if Trump wants to continue having a trade war with the EU.

That post sort of sums you up Centy. Although Trump shits on his own people daily and cant hold on a single non conflict position for more than a couple of days, all he needs to do is angle a possibility that he might be nice to you cant stop yourself grabbing for it.

It is such a shame, how can you be so addicted to the rhetoric of proven liars? What is their hold over you? Are your politics really that flawed? Or are you just a classic confidence tricksters mark, who has invested so much in the get rich quick scheme that no matter how many times the payout fails to materialise when they get the next email from the Nigerian Price saying he only needs another £10,000 and the £40,000,000 will be in your account you just cant help adding the ten grand to your credit card while hiding from the bailiffs at the front door?"

The trouble is with people like you and other remoaners is you just can't accept that there are advantages and benefits to Brexit. One of Trumps advisors, Professor and author Ted Malloch said on BBC Daily politics programme last week that the UK would only be hit with higher tariffs because of our current membership of the EU. We would pay higher tariffs into the USA on steel, aluminium and cars because of our membership of the EU. Malloch said once we've left the European Union and we are no longer part of that block an exception would be made for the UK and we would be exempt from those tariffs because the USA needs the high quality, high grade British steel for the US military which can't be sourced in America or anywhere else in the world. International trade secretary Liam Fox also said on BBC Question Time on Thursday that he would also be arguing the case for Britain to be exempt when he visits the USA this week because British steel supplies the US military and it's a matter of national security for the USA.

On the other point about cars, the current trading arrangements between the USA and the EU (there is no trade deal so tariffs were agreed by previous administrations under Clinton, Bush and Obama), say that cars going into the USA from the EU will have a 2.5% tariff, and cars going the other way from USA into the EU face a 10% tariff. How is this fair and balanced trading? Is this the EU's idea of fair trade? Trump is right to question it in the interests of the American people who elected him. Malloch also said on the Daily politics programme that our membership of the EU means that British cars like Jaguar, Land Rover would be hit with the new higher tariff but he's very confident we'd be exempt after brexit as we strike a new UK/USA trade deal.

"Trump said exceptions and exemptions can be made for "real friends". People can make of that what they like but I wonder if Trump sees the UK as a 'real friend' outside of the EU. If he does then exceptions and exemptions can be made for the UK after Brexit if Trump wants to continue having a trade war with the EU.

It is such a shame, how can you be so addicted to the rhetoric of proven liars? What is their hold over you? Are your politics really that flawed? Or are you just a classic confidence tricksters mark, who has invested so much in the get rich quick scheme that no matter how many times the payout fails to materialise when they get the next email from the Nigerian Price saying he only needs another £10,000 and the £40,000,000 will be in your account you just cant help adding the ten grand to your credit card while hiding from the bailiffs at the front door?

The trouble is with people like you and other remoaners is you just can't accept that there are advantages and benefits to Brexit. One of Trumps advisors, Professor and author Ted Malloch said on BBC Daily politics programme last week that the UK would only be hit with higher tariffs because of our current membership of the EU. We would pay higher tariffs into the USA on steel, aluminium and cars because of our membership of the EU. Malloch said once we've left the European Union and we are no longer part of that block an exception would be made for the UK and we would be exempt from those tariffs because the USA needs the high quality, high grade British steel for the US military which can't be sourced in America or anywhere else in the world. International trade secretary Liam Fox also said on BBC Question Time on Thursday that he would also be arguing the case for Britain to be exempt when he visits the USA this week because British steel supplies the US military and it's a matter of national security for the USA.

On the other point about cars, the current trading arrangements between the USA and the EU (there is no trade deal so tariffs were agreed by previous administrations under Clinton, Bush and Obama), say that cars going into the USA from the EU will have a 2.5% tariff, and cars going the other way from USA into the EU face a 10% tariff. How is this fair and balanced trading? Is this the EU's idea of fair trade? Trump is right to question it in the interests of the American people who elected him. Malloch also said on the Daily politics programme that our membership of the EU means that British cars like Jaguar, Land Rover would be hit with the new higher tariff but he's very confident we'd be exempt after brexit as we strike a new UK/USA trade deal. "

How much steel and aluminium do we export to the U.S.? How many millions on tonnes? Those are the sort of figures you'd need to make up the loss of EU trade.

So the Americans did a trade deal on cars 2.5% tariffs on EU cars and the EU impose 10% on American cars. The American's did the deal - so why if they weren't happy did they do the deal? American cars are not what the European market want. Simple there are a couple of model's which appeal - mustang & Harley bikes. Your hero Trump will just screw the US economy - give him time he's only been at it a year!

Newcastle and Gateshead

for all the pish that centy wrote he still clings onto the belief that the us will cut the uk an super special trade deal, ignoring the fact that trade is already 3-1 in the UK favour

because they have shown they are going to cut the uk a special deal on "open skies" so far.... and thats the first of the deals that will need sorting....

West London

This is how Trump does "business".

He's a conman. He does "deals", renegotiates to his own advantage, then doesn't pay his creditors.

Yet people still give him money. Why? Because they are desperate or greedy.

Centaur, or any other of Trump's fans are unable to learn from his past actions.

I don't really understand why unless it is the denial of reality that has to be employed when their is no evidence to support your opinion. Trump's "promises" are all that exist. The EU is a powerful entity which, like China will not back down to Trump who is a natural bully. What benefits him in the short term? A weak EU. Divide and rule by going after the weakest. It seems that is us. What benefits the USA strategically? Who cares?

Sitting here writing about how evil and corrupt the EU is. How it bullies the poor weak UK into all sorts of things that are bad for us. Then desperate for any crumb thrown to us by Donald Trump. A bankrupt. A misogynist. Someone narcissistic and spiteful. A bald faced liar. Surrendering UK sovereignty to the USA without even the pretence of a equal relationship. The 51st state on a par with Puerto Rica.

Lucky us.

Is this really the hope for our post Brexit future? The culmination of your Leavers hopes and dreams?

"This is how Trump does "business".

He's a conman. He does "deals", renegotiates to his own advantage, then doesn't pay his creditors.

Centaur, or any other of Trump's fans are unable to learn from his past actions.

I don't really understand why unless it is the denial of reality that has to be employed when their is no evidence to support your opinion. Trump's "promises" are all that exist. The EU is a powerful entity which, like China will not back down to Trump who is a natural bully. What benefits him in the short term? A weak EU. Divide and rule by going after the weakest. It seems that is us. What benefits the USA strategically? Who cares?

Sitting here writing about how evil and corrupt the EU is. How it bullies the poor weak UK into all sorts of things that are bad for us. Then desperate for any crumb thrown to us by Donald Trump. A bankrupt. A misogynist. Someone narcissistic and spiteful. A bald faced liar. Surrendering UK sovereignty to the USA without even the pretence of a equal relationship. The 51st state on a par with Puerto Rica.

Lucky us.

Is this really the hope for our post Brexit future? The culmination of your Leavers hopes and dreams?"

Actually in the 1970's it was suggest by an American politician that the UK became the 51st state! Full circle then?

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

On the other point about cars, the current trading arrangements between the USA and the EU (there is no trade deal so tariffs were agreed by previous administrations under Clinton, Bush and Obama), say that cars going into the USA from the EU will have a 2.5% tariff, and cars going the other way from USA into the EU face a 10% tariff. How is this fair and balanced trading? Is this the EU's idea of fair trade? Trump is right to question it in the interests of the American people who elected him. Malloch also said on the Daily politics programme that our membership of the EU means that British cars like Jaguar, Land Rover would be hit with the new higher tariff but he's very confident we'd be exempt after brexit as we strike a new UK/USA trade deal. "

The argument about cars is moot, because it could have been renegotiated at any time. The US at the time wanted to have more smaller, less CO2 emitting vehicles and the home market did not not produce them. By the same token the EU did not want the heavy gas guzzling super polluting engines that came with large American cars.

Cannock

Lucky us.

Is this really the hope for our post Brexit future? The culmination of your Leavers hopes and dreams?"

Just had to laugh at "the EU is a powerful entity" bit, Lmao!

The EU has become a joke on the world stage, no one can take it seriously anymore the EU is in decline and will only Continue to decline as the people of Europe increasingly reject it with each passing European election. Even Macron admitted recently the French people would vote to leave if given the choice.

As for Trump he's keeping his election campaign promises and is delivering, he's implemented his tax reforms, improved the American economy and brought more jobs back to America, he's withdrawn the USA from the TPP trade deal and is renegotiating NAFTA, he's put the new oil pipeline in the North, he's withdrawn USA from the Paris Climate accord (which was another bad deal for American people signed by Obama) and has kept his promise of the travel ban (although it has been somewhat thwarted by the Dems who have fought tooth and nail to stop it, no one can say Trump didn't try to keep that promise, same with scrapping Obamacare). He also said last week in a speech at a Trump rally the wall will be built along the border with Mexico as part of the renegotiated NAFTA deal. Trump is keeping and delivering on his election campaign promises.

Barbados

Lucky us.

Is this really the hope for our post Brexit future? The culmination of your Leavers hopes and dreams?

The EU has become a joke on the world stage, no one can take it seriously anymore the EU is in decline and will only Continue to decline as the people of Europe increasingly reject it with each passing European election. Even Macron admitted recently the French people would vote to leave if given the choice.

As for Trump he's keeping his election campaign promises and is delivering, he's implemented his tax reforms, improved the American economy and brought more jobs back to America, he's withdrawn the USA from the TPP trade deal and is renegotiating NAFTA, he's put the new oil pipeline in the North, he's withdrawn USA from the Paris Climate accord (which was another bad deal for American people signed by Obama) and has kept his promise of the travel ban (although it has been somewhat thwarted by the Dems who have fought tooth and nail to stop it, no one can say Trump didn't try to keep that promise, same with scrapping Obamacare). He also said last week in a speech at a Trump rally the wall will be built along the border with Mexico as part of the renegotiated NAFTA deal. Trump is keeping and delivering on his election campaign promises. "

Ok. I can’t be bothered with the rest of your bullshit. But just taking one point... why do you say the Paris Climate Accord was a bad deal for the American people?

-Matt

Cannock

Lucky us.

As for Trump he's keeping his election campaign promises and is delivering, he's implemented his tax reforms, improved the American economy and brought more jobs back to America, he's withdrawn the USA from the TPP trade deal and is renegotiating NAFTA, he's put the new oil pipeline in the North, he's withdrawn USA from the Paris Climate accord (which was another bad deal for American people signed by Obama) and has kept his promise of the travel ban (although it has been somewhat thwarted by the Dems who have fought tooth and nail to stop it, no one can say Trump didn't try to keep that promise, same with scrapping Obamacare). He also said last week in a speech at a Trump rally the wall will be built along the border with Mexico as part of the renegotiated NAFTA deal. Trump is keeping and delivering on his election campaign promises.

Ok. I can’t be bothered with the rest of your bullshit. But just taking one point... why do you say the Paris Climate Accord was a bad deal for the American people?

-Matt"

Well we had a whole thread about it on here. Here is the link to the thread and to a post of mine on there which explains why it was an unfair deal for America...

www.fabswingers.com/forum/politics/641504#message_13518318

I'm surprised you don't remember the thread, as you posted on it several times!

West London

Lucky us.

As for Trump he's keeping his election campaign promises and is delivering, he's implemented his tax reforms, improved the American economy and brought more jobs back to America, he's withdrawn the USA from the TPP trade deal and is renegotiating NAFTA, he's put the new oil pipeline in the North, he's withdrawn USA from the Paris Climate accord (which was another bad deal for American people signed by Obama) and has kept his promise of the travel ban (although it has been somewhat thwarted by the Dems who have fought tooth and nail to stop it, no one can say Trump didn't try to keep that promise, same with scrapping Obamacare). He also said last week in a speech at a Trump rally the wall will be built along the border with Mexico as part of the renegotiated NAFTA deal. Trump is keeping and delivering on his election campaign promises. "

If the EU is not a peer to the USA then how did they end up with a "bad deal"? How did the UK end up being so bullied and victimised?

You contradict almost every opinion you offer.

You have never answered what effect the global recession had on the economies of the EU or why there has been equal nationalism

In the USA or a wave of revolutions in the Middle East?

No connection?

You also did not actually address the central points. Trump is a liar. Why do you trust him. Trump has made promises to get elected and stay in power with no regard or understanding of the strategic consequences.

Time to post this again.

https://m.fabswingers.com/forum/politics/706879

See if you are able to look at the other side of any argument and confront your cognitive bias.

Experience says no because doing this might reveal that your tower is built on sand.

» Add a new message to this topic