FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Rise in North Sea Oil Production

Rise in North Sea Oil Production

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Both Westminster and Scottish Governments are extremely happy

Changes in the way the sector operates have unlocked the potential for a further 2.8 billion barrels of oil or the gas equivalent

The Oil and Gas Authority's increased estimate for the offshore industry partly reflects new investment

Some on here say Oil & Gas Production is a thing of the past, Westminster said in 2014 that oil was dying out/depleting, seems now Westminster has a change of mind (wonder why)

While the oil price was high, in the first half of this decade, oil companies approved a series of major investment programmes that gave the UK offshore sector a second wind.

The new report suggests that spending was greater than previously reported. It also shows operating cost per barrel of oil produced has halved since 2014, at least in US dollars, reaching just above $15.

Some of this spending was for developing so-called brownfield sites, where fields were mature and new technology was required to pump more from the rock formations.

Now that the forties pipeline has been repaired further flow from these fields too

Most expenditure was in new fields, many of them to the west and east of Shetland. The last of that phase of new fields is expected to come on stream in the next few months

so!

it appears all is not lost with oil, which I have said year in, year out

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

All very good if true, especially the Gas production.

Temper with caution though. These are only "guesstimates". Production is expected to rise until 2020, then decline again. Capital spending continues to fall.

Independence for Shetland anyone?

By *inkyHnSCouple  over a year ago

The Council of Elrond

No surely not as in 2014 we heard the oil was almost gone.... What a coincidence that when the UK is facing irrelevance

I could have swore that Sir Ian Wood said oil is amost gone and had about 13 year left surely not eh lol

Any old dirty trick its the UK union at any cost even willing to lie

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

It's always struck me as a contradiction by the SNP - a commitment to develop the greenest energy system in Europe, yet a reliance on the money tap of North Sea oil.

You can be green, or you can be an oil producer - you cannot be both.

"It's always struck me as a contradiction by the SNP - a commitment to develop the greenest energy system in Europe, yet a reliance on the money tap of North Sea oil.

You can be green, or you can be an oil producer - you cannot be both."

wasn't so long ago we were all being told there was NO money in North Sea oil, some actually believed it too

By *andACouple  over a year ago

glasgow

The report is really only expecting a fairly modest recovery before things start declining again in 2020 (2 years time) unfortunately.

"The report is really only expecting a fairly modest recovery before things start declining again in 2020 (2 years time) unfortunately."

Which report?

the GMTV news report?

The BBC News report?

The online BBC news page?

or last nights Sky news broadcast?

the bbc says this

It is now estimated that 11.7 billion barrels could be recovered between 2016 to 2050

but they always under play things with regards to oil

glasgow

"The report is really only expecting a fairly modest recovery before things start declining again in 2020 (2 years time) unfortunately.

Which report?

the GMTV news report?

The BBC News report?

The online BBC news page?

or last nights Sky news broadcast?

the bbc says this

It is now estimated that 11.7 billion barrels could be recovered between 2016 to 2050

but they always under play things with regards to oil

"

The Oil and Gas Production and Expenditure Report. It shows a small bounce and then continuing decline

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Well more oil and production for the UK is good. It's almost dejavu a full cycle return to the 1970's the lifeline which was needed then is coming back to help in tough times. Let's hope we copy Norway model this time - they used their oil wealth to make Norway one of the richest European country's - we blew ours!

glasgow

"Well more oil and production for the UK is good. It's almost dejavu a full cycle return to the 1970's the lifeline which was needed then is coming back to help in tough times. Let's hope we copy Norway model this time - they used their oil wealth to make Norway one of the richest European country's - we blew ours!"

That won't be possible though, it's still forecast to decline. It'll be nowhere near previous levels and will even drop from the currrent levels after 2020. The report is basically just saying the decline will be slightly less than forecast but it will still be a decline

"Well more oil and production for the UK is good. It's almost dejavu a full cycle return to the 1970's the lifeline which was needed then is coming back to help in tough times. Let's hope we copy Norway model this time - they used their oil wealth to make Norway one of the richest European country's - we blew ours!"

I doubt that as Westminster will still squander.

At least Norway see the potential for North Sea Oil as Statoil has now moved into UK sector North sea

"Well more oil and production for the UK is good. It's almost dejavu a full cycle return to the 1970's the lifeline which was needed then is coming back to help in tough times. Let's hope we copy Norway model this time - they used their oil wealth to make Norway one of the richest European country's - we blew ours!

That won't be possible though, it's still forecast to decline. It'll be nowhere near previous levels and will even drop from the currrent levels after 2020. The report is basically just saying the decline will be slightly less than forecast but it will still be a decline"

again which report?

I suggest you are reading bbc online website

The Council of Elrond

Norway a country of 5 million and trillions in wealth with the same amount of oil as us and people believe an independent Scotland would fail lmao

The UK government dont know what their doing trillions in debt lmao

glasgow

"Well more oil and production for the UK is good. It's almost dejavu a full cycle return to the 1970's the lifeline which was needed then is coming back to help in tough times. Let's hope we copy Norway model this time - they used their oil wealth to make Norway one of the richest European country's - we blew ours!

That won't be possible though, it's still forecast to decline. It'll be nowhere near previous levels and will even drop from the currrent levels after 2020. The report is basically just saying the decline will be slightly less than forecast but it will still be a decline

again which report?

I suggest you are reading bbc online website"

You can suggest all you want but you're completely wrong, you shouldn't judge people by your own standard. I've read the report.

Here's the projections from it showing major decline

https://i.gyazo.com/38f161b9396a0475cf13367a2509b467.png

The green line shows the previous expected rate of decline and the red shows the decline with the more positive forecast. It's still a huge drop after a minor bounce.

By *icklybitMan  over a year ago

Ayrshire

Oil production peaked in 1999.

Argue all you want about Norway, tories, tax or whatever you want.

They are all irrelevant, it's a finite resource, the minute we started extracting it we had less than before and it is now on the slow decline.

A reminder, production peaked in 1999, and will never reach those levels again.

Kinky, here's a prediction from Salmond prior to the referendum.

Did you believe him at the time?

How wrong was he?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk/2013/mar/11/alex-salmond-scotland-oil-boom

glasgow

"Both Westminster and Scottish Governments are extremely happy

."

Are they extremely happy or is this your own spin on things? Because it doesn't look like they'll have anything to be extremely happy about in terms of finances.

By *angwe1Man  over a year ago

Perth

There may still be untapped oil and gas reserves in the British continental shelf, but is it economic to recover it ?

There are no large reservoirs like Forties or Brents that can produce upward of 500,000 barrels a day left.

The Claire field is huge, but its expensive and difficult to extract the oil.

Fracking or gas extraction form coal fields would be another possible source of hydrocarbons, but thats been kicked into the long grass in Scotland.

The Council of Elrond

Offftt touchy subject lol bring up Norway is trillions in profit

And the UK is trillions in debt lol

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

again which report?

I suggest you are reading bbc online website"

I read the report as well. That's why I gave the observations that I did earlier this morning.

The Council of Elrond

So why is it people believe Norway a counrty of 5 million trillions in profit

But Scotland a country of 5 million also but no no an indpendent Scotland couldnt ever do as well as Norway

Strange i think porkies is being told to try and keep Scotland in the unequal UK union

Ayrshire

Why do you pay to see a doctor in Norway?

"Offftt touchy subject lol bring up Norway is trillions in profit

"

Did you perhaps miss the bit in the report which clearly wrote "private companies" have seen oil production rise??.

And on a side note Norway isn't trillions in profit, the sovereign wealth fund is according to the Norwegian budget 2018 790 billion euros and there spending record amounts of it this year to stimulate the Norwegian economy,I think it's about 3.5% of it.

Norway of course did the sensible thing of using the state owned oil company profits from the start into a wealth fund, erm you didn't do that though so all this bluster is just nonsense.

And unless I'm mistaken Norway aren't in the EU have rejected entry several times and have they're own currency, nothing like Scotland except the same amount of people in a great big piece of land which is so amazingly brilliant according to your rantings yet you can't even fill the place, in fact you can't even stop more Scots leaving the place than being born.

I refer you to the correct train spotting analogy.... It's shite

Ayrshire

Youll never see them compare Scotland to Venezuela.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"So why is it people believe Norway a counrty of 5 million trillions in profit

But Scotland a country of 5 million also but no no an indpendent Scotland couldnt ever do as well as Norway

Strange i think porkies is being told to try and keep Scotland in the unequal UK union"

You always like to use Norway as your utopia... the Norwegians decided to the money into a fund... the UK decided to use the money to fund tax cuts... of which you have benefited

Unless you want to pay what they do in Norway... it’s not a cheap place to live

"Offftt touchy subject lol bring up Norway is trillions in profit

"

For what it's worth I have no objection to Scottish independence, that's down to the Scottish. However, if nothing else, brexit has shown us in practice nothing is simple. Words are merely words, actions and achieving it is another matter.

Ayrshire

Nats seem to think this claim is another smoking gun, and having a dig at Sir Ian Wood is a bonus.

Lets look at the number here.

2014 white paper: 24bn boe

2014 Wood Review: 15-16.5bn boe

2018 OGA estimate: 11.7bn boe

Lets not forget salmond and his 2014 prediction of oil, that it would remain constant at $110 per barrel.

The Council of Elrond

Ticklybit where is David Camerons oil boom ?

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Nats seem to think this claim is another smoking gun, and having a dig at Sir Ian Wood is a bonus.

Lets look at the number here.

2014 white paper: 24bn boe

2014 Wood Review: 15-16.5bn boe

2018 OGA estimate: 11.7bn boe

Lets not forget salmond and his 2014 prediction of oil, that it would remain constant at $110 per barrel."

You are wrong..............

Salmond was claiming it would be $120 per barrel

Ayrshire

I seem to recall that claim in correspondence to Danny Alexander at the treasury.

glasgow

And just to put things even more into perspective in terms of the numbers:

In 1998 the UK was producing 230 million tonnes of gas and oil

In 2017 we were down to 87 million tonnes

In 2018 it will peak, after the small bounce, at 89 million and will then decrease every single year after that.

Basically this whole story is about the decrease being slower than expected so there will be no financial windfall from this (for the government anyway)

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

"It's always struck me as a contradiction by the SNP - a commitment to develop the greenest energy system in Europe, yet a reliance on the money tap of North Sea oil.

wasn't so long ago we were all being told there was NO money in North Sea oil, some actually believed it too "

Not a lot.

You and I will be paying the £48 billion cost of dismantling it.

The UK Government has allowed the industry to write off the decommissioning costs against tax.

So subtract £48bn from any revenue forecasts and there is your total cash-flow to the public purse.

glasgow

wasn't so long ago we were all being told there was NO money in North Sea oil, some actually believed it too

Not a lot.

You and I will be paying the £48 billion cost of dismantling it.

The UK Government has allowed the industry to write off the decommissioning costs against tax.

So subtract £48bn from any revenue forecasts and there is your total cash-flow to the public purse."

And let's not forget the SNP were shouting from the rooftops for the govt to give the industry further tax breaks but meanwhile their MSP's and MP's continually tweet about the lack of income from oil & gas as though it's some sort of conspiracy. They rely on those who take every statement they make at face value not questioning such contradictions (not naming any names )

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

wasn't so long ago we were all being told there was NO money in North Sea oil, some actually believed it too "

How much did the treasury get last year?

How much did the treasury get last year? "

indirectly quite a lot

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

How much did the treasury get last year?

indirectly quite a lot"

And directly? How much?

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

again which report?

I suggest you are reading bbc online website

You can suggest all you want but you're completely wrong, you shouldn't judge people by your own standard. I've read the report.

Here's the projections from it showing major decline

https://i.gyazo.com/38f161b9396a0475cf13367a2509b467.png

The green line shows the previous expected rate of decline and the red shows the decline with the more positive forecast. It's still a huge drop after a minor bounce.

"

Cask doesn't look at graphs. They are for nerds apparently

He's far happier finding second or third hand articles that appear to reinforce his prejudices.

Fact free is his proven preference.

He'll get personal soon

» Add a new message to this topic