FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Ambassador to the US says the UK is in cloud cuckoo land

Ambassador to the US says the UK is in cloud cuckoo land

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Sir Peter Westmacott, the former UK ambassador to the US, says that getting an easy and generous free trade deal with the USA is fantasy.

If the UK can't get a good trade deal with the USA, which is a major market, where are the golden trade deals going to be faster and better - or were they just a mirage, created by the conservatives?

A bit like the far-right swivel eyed one, Liam Fox, saying just last year that getting a brexit deal is the 'easiest thing in human history'. Another one of them, John redwood said 'Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy' 2016.

And in 2016, David Davis said 'I would expect that the negotiation phase of most of them (free trade deals) to be concluded within between 12 and 24 months.' As we're now getting towards 2 years on, it's funny how misleading statements can come back and haunt them.

All these fast, super-dooper deals flowing the way of the UK.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Sir Peter Westmacott, the former UK ambassador to the US, says that getting an easy and generous free trade deal with the USA is fantasy.

If the UK can't get a good trade deal with the USA, which is a major market, where are the golden trade deals going to be faster and better - or were they just a mirage, created by the conservatives?

A bit like the far-right swivel eyed one, Liam Fox, saying just last year that getting a brexit deal is the 'easiest thing in human history'. Another one of them, John redwood said 'Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy' 2016.

And in 2016, David Davis said 'I would expect that the negotiation phase of most of them (free trade deals) to be concluded within between 12 and 24 months.' As we're now getting towards 2 years on, it's funny how misleading statements can come back and haunt them.

All these fast, super-dooper deals flowing the way of the UK. "

Ahhh but... When David Davis was pulled up on his statement he just laughed and said ... "that was then, this is now"

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Sir Peter Westmacott, the former UK ambassador to the US, says that getting an easy and generous free trade deal with the USA is fantasy.

Ahhh but... When David Davis was pulled up on his statement he just laughed and said ... "that was then, this is now""

Apparently the "open skies" treaty between U.S. & UK has not been going well - we have had flights cut - even less than what we have under the EU treaty. Special relationship?

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Only crazy brexiters are!

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

What can the UK offer the US to persuade them to trade on anything other than WTO rules?

Cambridge

"What can the UK offer the US to persuade them to trade on anything other than WTO rules?"

Our steel!

By *rench letterCouple  over a year ago

Chorley,

The politicians are in cloud cuckoo land May and her bunch of side kicks.

"Only crazy brexiters are!"

if you live in the UK then you are indeed a Brexiter

welcome to the club CLCC

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

All these fast, super-dooper deals flowing the way of the UK. "

You do realise the article 50 timescale of 2 years is in the EU treaties. So 2 years is the absolute minimum time allowed within our current EU obligations. The article 50 terms also dictate that we can't negotiate or sign any other deals with other countries while the article 50 process is still ongoing.

Cambridge

You do realise the article 50 timescale of 2 years is in the EU treaties. So 2 years is the absolute minimum time allowed within our current EU obligations. The article 50 terms also dictate that we can't negotiate or sign any other deals with other countries while the article 50 process is still ongoing. "

I thought 2 years of article 50 was a maximum, unless unanimously agreed to extend, rather than a minimum? In fact I remember lots of your dearly departed brexiter friends on here claiming article 50 could be wrapped up in months, if not weeks or even days.

Where are all the brexiters gone ???

I mean the ones that were on here ??

By *ophieslut OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Central

You do realise the article 50 timescale of 2 years is in the EU treaties. So 2 years is the absolute minimum time allowed within our current EU obligations. The article 50 terms also dictate that we can't negotiate or sign any other deals with other countries while the article 50 process is still ongoing.

I thought 2 years of article 50 was a maximum, unless unanimously agreed to extend, rather than a minimum? In fact I remember lots of your dearly departed brexiter friends on here claiming article 50 could be wrapped up in months, if not weeks or even days. "

They'd led the country to believe it was going to be a piece of cake.

May had wanted a date for the transition period to start and end written into legislation, with her 'certainty' that everything was in hand and going to plan

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"Where are all the brexiters gone ???

I mean the ones that were on here ??"

They are busy trying to find their cake so they can eat it.

Only Centy and Cask left really. Few others still but even they seem to have accepted the shit sandwich we now have to eat instead.

-Matt

I'm Still here !

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

You do realise the article 50 timescale of 2 years is in the EU treaties. So 2 years is the absolute minimum time allowed within our current EU obligations. The article 50 terms also dictate that we can't negotiate or sign any other deals with other countries while the article 50 process is still ongoing. "

not when it comes to open skies.... which is what i have mentioned time and time again!!!!!

because the airlines schedule 12 months in advance..... they will basically need to know by the end of the month what will have and what slots they will have for flying.....

phillip hammond finally said out loud what had been known for months!

Cannock

Many remainers who also used to post on here have also disappeared or gone unlos. Maybe they've finally accepted the democratic vote in the referendum and the will of the British people and that Brexit is inevitable now.

Cannock

I mean the ones that were on here ?? I'm Still here !"

There are still plenty of us around and posting, JandS66, janesjh, Cask, you, me, even Jimi has come out in support of leaving the EU now. Remainers are deluding themselves if they think we've all disappeared, lol.

By *rench letterCouple  over a year ago

Chorley,

Well all you leave voters will sure be happy when you see jobs going through Brexit. At least we will know has we voted to remain it will not be down to us.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

There are more people employed now than on 23 June 2016. Even though the treasury in their paper on 'the immediate effect of a vote to leave the EU' predicted up to 800,000 more unemployed by now.

And they also forecast an immediate and deep recession of 4 consecutive quarters of decline.

And house prices falling by 18%

Among other things.

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple  over a year ago

Dudley

The merchants of doom are out in force again!

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

Indeed....anything close to bad news and 'it's because of Brexit', anything close to good news and it's 'nothing to do with Brexit, we haven't left yet'.

By *tillup4funMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

"Indeed....anything close to bad news and 'it's because of Brexit', anything close to good news and it's 'nothing to do with Brexit, we haven't left yet'."

No we haven't I stopped posting because I was sick of the name calling, no one knows what the outcome will be. Yes I do think we will be worse off in the short term but in 10 years time who knows no one can see the future.

» Add a new message to this topic