FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Uk Defence Forces

Uk Defence Forces

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Is it not time to seriously revue what we need and not just look to cut costs ?

I don't know why we decided a few years back that Russia wasn't a threat ?

You should rule nothing out !

Even the Yanks attacking us !

Not as Daft as it sounds if you think it thru !

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The cyber threat i would guess is the greatest threat at present to UK security.The culprits are usually Russia and China.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Someone really ought to tell that buffoon of a Foreign Secretary - he told the Commons today it was war with Russia.

Why do you think Russia is a threat to this country, any more than say, Germany, or the Canary Islands?

Our ruling class has had a bee in their bonnet about them ever since the Queen's cousins were lined up and shot.

I'm afraid bluff and bluster is all that Britain is good at these days. Leave the Russians to wave their willie at the Americans, thank you very much.

I would worry more about N Korea than Russia

"The cyber threat i would guess is the greatest threat at present to UK security.The culprits are usually Russia and China."
Never Trust the Yanks !

Personally I think we should concentrate on air Power !

"I would worry more about N Korea than Russia "

Rubbish !

Thier missiles would be as bad as ours !

Now the French that's a different matter !

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"The cyber threat i would guess is the greatest threat at present to UK security.The culprits are usually Russia and China. Never Trust the Yanks !

Personally I think we should concentrate on air Power !"

Why do you think we should concentrate on air power, and what do you mean by air power?

"The cyber threat i would guess is the greatest threat at present to UK security.The culprits are usually Russia and China. Never Trust the Yanks !

Why do you think we should concentrate on air power, and what do you mean by air power?"

Basically I mean be able to combat air strikes !

The yanks , Russians , Israelis win because whoever they attack can't stop thier air strikes !

We need anti missile missiles , anti aircraft missiles and top notch fighter interceptors !

The lessons of the Battle of Britain still ring good !

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

Why do you think we should concentrate on air power, and what do you mean by air power? Basically I mean be able to combat air strikes !

The yanks , Russians , Israelis win because whoever they attack can't stop thier air strikes !

We need anti missile missiles , anti aircraft missiles and top notch fighter interceptors !

The lessons of the Battle of Britain still ring good !"

we also need a descent navy to protect our sealanes and lines of supply or we will have learned nothing from the battle of the Atlantic strong asw forces are a must

This all sounds bloody expensive..

I'd go for drones in the air and sea and technology that makes enemy weapons obsolete or ineffective.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

A privatised army run by Bae or QinetiQ etc. One that is motivated by profit. And can keep current by hiring it's self out to whom ever pays most. The Saudis, yemen, Syria, wherever. Keep the cost down for the tax payer.

salisbury

"This all sounds bloody expensive..

I'd go for drones in the air and sea and technology that makes enemy weapons obsolete or ineffective. "

Sharks with frickin lasers?!

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

Why do you think we should concentrate on air power, and what do you mean by air power? Basically I mean be able to combat air strikes !

The lessons of the Battle of Britain still ring good !"

Anti-aircraft drone/electronic technology is needed more than offensive capability.

The Uk would have very little chance of defending against a concerted air attack and so spending money on frontline attack aircraft would be better spend on hi tech anti aircraft defences.

By *agermeisterMan  over a year ago

Leeds

We need more Spitfires to give Jonny Foreigner a bloody nose!!

I'd go for drones in the air and sea and technology that makes enemy weapons obsolete or ineffective. "

And buy weaponry from Russia like the Turkish are doing to the annoyance of the USA

salisbury

I'd go for drones in the air and sea and technology that makes enemy weapons obsolete or ineffective.

And buy weaponry from Russia like the Turkish are doing to the annoyance of the USA "

Maybe that was the cost of shooting down the Russian jet...

Stop selling our industry to our enemies !!!

There is a great article in the Sunday times about a Chinese company that is owned by the Chinese government that just replicated the factory from England in China and supplies the Chinese military with supper conductors !!!

Autonomous weaponry is quite obviously the next phase in warfare. Google has been providing AI algorithms to American military drone technology.Here in the UK we are top of the game in deep learning technology. Although our tech start ups get snapped up by the US tech giants.

The killer robots are just a few years away.

Cambridge

Boots on the ground are what win wars, not air power.

"Stop selling our industry to our enemies !!!

There is a great article in the Sunday times about a Chinese company that is owned by the Chinese government that just replicated the factory from England in China and supplies the Chinese military with supper conductors !!!"

Wow...even down to the miserable forklift driver in Goods In and topless calendars in the tea room?

By *agermeisterMan  over a year ago

Leeds

Wait until AI and robotics come together.

Do you think it will be for the benefit of mankind? We are all screwed. All the jobs automated. Want to complain about it? Try negotiating with an AI police force/army.

"Wait until AI and robotics come together.

Do you think it will be for the benefit of mankind? We are all screwed. All the jobs automated. Want to complain about it? Try negotiating with an AI police force/army."

Sounds good to me .No need to send your son's off to war.No need to work and god like AI running the show in a post scarcity world.

Of course it could also be dystopian with terminators and skynet.

"Boots on the ground are what win wars, not air power."
that just isn't true anymore!

By *ay rickMan  over a year ago

cardiff

Personally I'd worry more about giving that buffoon boris any power!!-now that's war waiting to start as he's bound to cock up very soon--boris and trump wtf it's like a spitting image sketch pms

Cambridge

"Boots on the ground are what win wars, not air power. that just isn't true anymore!

"

No? How are Saudi Arabia doing in their air campaign in Yemen? Or Russia in their air campaign in Syria? How about Libya since our air campaign?

salisbury

"Boots on the ground are what win wars, not air power. that just isn't true anymore!

No? How are Saudi Arabia doing in their air campaign in Yemen? Or Russia in their air campaign in Syria? How about Libya since our air campaign? "

Could the same be said for Afghanistan and Iraq?

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Boots on the ground are what win wars, not air power."

Not quite...

Boots on the ground are needed to hold territory, but command of the air (also know as the 3rd flank) is required for boots on the ground to hold that ground. All you have to do is look at Syria, the hardest ground to hold without air superiority is open ground, the easiest is urban because FISH is the hardest combat. Fact is with really quite light air superiority the Syrian government take urban areas as they wish.

By the way in answer to other posts drones are not an air defence option (they may be in the future) because they are slow and are not being directly controlled and therefore are slow in reacting changing tactical situations.

Also the problem with not having a large strike force is to paraphrase Goring 'a eurofighter cant be in 2 places at once'. The fact is we need a balance between a small force of high tech high cost machines that can outfight any enemy and a low tech low cost machine that can provide the numbers required to defend all airspace. Unfortunately we are now governed by people who are not interested in genuine strategic defence but are fully committed to grandiose vanity projects and privatisation of profit while nationalising risk and loss.

salisbury

And selling stuff to Saudi!

" And selling stuff to Saudi! "
We shouldn't sell Arms to Anyone !

Make our own the Best !

And keep them for our Defence !

salisbury

" And selling stuff to Saudi! We shouldn't sell Arms to Anyone !

Make our own the Best !

And keep them for our Defence !"

Best way to prove a weapon is by letting someone else use it. Look how well the Israelis did with the chieftain tank.

moston

"Look how well the Israelis did with the chieftain tank. "

I have a bit of news for you...

We are still using the Chieftain.

Admittedly much modified, but Challenger and Challenger 2 are still basically the same tank with a new frock (that's new armour skin, gun and powerpack).

salisbury

"Look how well the Israelis did with the chieftain tank.

Admittedly much modified, but Challenger and Challenger 2 are still basically the same tank with a new frock (that's new armour skin, gun and powerpack)."

If it ain't broke....

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Stay within the EU.

The UK is a small state, not the superpower of yesteryear.

I think much of the defense budget should be funded into health, otherwise the effects upon the population are worse than having ongoing war, with the losses of lives and civilian casualties from damaged health.

You're living in a current war but it's your government and those who voted for them that caused it.

moston

"Stay within the EU.

I think much of the defense budget should be funded into health, otherwise the effects upon the population are worse than having ongoing war, with the losses of lives and civilian casualties from damaged health.

You're living in a current war but it's your government and those who voted for them that caused it. "

You are both right and wrong Sophie. Yes we are in a (class) war. But no, further cuts to the military is not the answer, in fact it is totally the wrong answer, all cutting the military would do is supply more ammunition and casualties to the war. What is needed is reversing 40 years of fiscal policy, reintroducing a proper progressive income and corporation tax structure and introducing a punitive taxes on the transfer of untaxed income (from any source) out of the country and equally punitive punishments for any financial institutions that assist in such transfers.

This is the way to fund our NHS, social welfare and infrastructure.

It really is this simple, and as for the argument that the money will all relocate if we try that, it is rubbish, because regardless of where a business is registered it could be forced to pay tax on all trading it does in the UK if our government were working for us rather than the very businesses (and their fat cat bosses) that do not pay their taxes!

"Stay within the EU.

You're living in a current war but it's your government and those who voted for them that caused it.

You are both right and wrong Sophie. Yes we are in a (class) war. But no, further cuts to the military is not the answer, in fact it is totally the wrong answer, all cutting the military would do is supply more ammunition and casualties to the war. What is needed is reversing 40 years of fiscal policy, reintroducing a proper progressive income and corporation tax structure and introducing a punitive taxes on the transfer of untaxed income (from any source) out of the country and equally punitive punishments for any financial institutions that assist in such transfers.

It really is this simple, and as for the argument that the money will all relocate if we try that, it is rubbish, because regardless of where a business is registered it could be forced to pay tax on all trading it does in the UK if our government were working for us rather than the very businesses (and their fat cat bosses) that do not pay their taxes! "

Agree, but investment in training and equipment for civil emergency services such as police, fire brigade and medical.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"Stay within the EU.

It really is this simple, and as for the argument that the money will all relocate if we try that, it is rubbish, because regardless of where a business is registered it could be forced to pay tax on all trading it does in the UK if our government were working for us rather than the very businesses (and their fat cat bosses) that do not pay their taxes! "

I fully agree that we should be facing these financial obligations and improprieties this way - it's just legally condoned fraud, aided by the unscrupulous and self-serving puppets holding 'power', for the undeserving elites who are gaining obscene wealth at the cost of those being impoverished.

You should all get jobs with the MOD you know your stuff.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

" And selling stuff to Saudi! We shouldn't sell Arms to Anyone !

Make our own the Best !

And keep them for our Defence !

Best way to prove a weapon is by letting someone else use it. Look how well the Israelis did with the chieftain tank. "

w

our govt dont sell arms to anybody BAE systems a private limited company do our subserviant govt facilitate this by way of export licencing

We need to ask ourselves this ?

Could we defend these islands if attacked by another country ?

That is what our Armed Forces should be for !!!

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"We need to ask ourselves this ?

That is what our Armed Forces should be for !!!"

Attacked in what way? We have been ‘under attack’ with propaganda and misinformation that has caused us to go down a route of major economic and cultural self harm. Which part of our armed forces should deal with that?

-Matt

moston

"Attacked in what way? We have been ‘under attack’ with propaganda and misinformation that has caused us to go down a route of major economic and cultural self harm. Which part of our armed forces should deal with that?

-Matt"

MI5, MI6 and GCHQ for starters...

Attacked in what way? We have been ‘under attack’ with propaganda and misinformation that has caused us to go down a route of major economic and cultural self harm. Which part of our armed forces should deal with that?

-Matt"

I mean by another country's armed forces !

Let's make it easy !

Russia or the yanks carry out air strikes on one of our city's !

Could we stop it ?

salisbury

-Matt I mean by another country's armed forces !

Let's make it easy !

Could we stop it ?"

No. That would be xenophobic. We should welcome the action from these foreign powers and explain to the populous how it has enriched our nation.

Let's make it easy !

Could we stop it ?

No. That would be xenophobic. We should welcome the action from these foreign powers and explain to the populous how it has enriched our nation. "

Ha Ha !

Silly me lol

But seriously I don't think we take the defence of our island seriously !

salisbury

[Removed by poster at 10/03/18 17:19:57]

salisbury

Let's make it easy !

Could we stop it ?

No. That would be xenophobic. We should welcome the action from these foreign powers and explain to the populous how it has enriched our nation. Ha Ha !

Silly me lol

But seriously I don't think we take the defence of our island seriously ! "

Of course not. It's impossible to defend against a super power, so there's no point. A country's biggest threat is from a regime change forced by an invading foreign idea. Imagine the population of the UK went on holiday to Iceland, then decided to stay. We could say we were running away from some kind of persecution and they should let us stay. Then we said "look you're letting us stay, you should give us a vote. It's only fair." Then at the next general election there was 3 main parties. Icelandic Labour, and Icelandic Tory. And the "Make Iceland British" party. Well the local's vote will be split between Labour and Tory. But we'll all vote "Make Iceland British" won't we. Next thing you know Iceland has just lost a war it didn't even know it was having! We win and they have to stop eating healthy fish and get angry when kfc stops feeding them...

Let's make it easy !

Could we stop it ?

No. That would be xenophobic. We should welcome the action from these foreign powers and explain to the populous how it has enriched our nation. Ha Ha !

Silly me lol

Of course not. It's impossible to defend against a super power, so there's no point. A country's biggest threat is from a regime change forced by an invading foreign idea. Imagine the population of the UK went on holiday to Iceland, then decided to stay. We could say we were running away from some kind of persecution and they should let us stay. Then we said "look you're letting us stay, you should give us a vote. It's only fair." Then at the next general election there was 3 main parties. Icelandic Labour, and Icelandic Tory. And the "Make Iceland British" party. Well the local's vote will be split between Labour and Tory. But we'll all vote "Make Iceland British" won't we. Next thing you know Iceland has just lost a war it didn't even know it was having! We win and they have to stop eating healthy fish and get angry when kfc stops feeding them... "

This Sounds like the

Islamification of Europe i keep hearing about.Before you know everything is halal and the prime minister is named Mohammad and making everyone wear burkas and the blokes are in sandals and the national dish is falafal in pita bread.Ive put the Anglo Saxon European apocalypse in my diary at anytime before tea Jan 1st 2030

Let's make it easy !

Could we stop it ?

Silly me lol

Of course not. It's impossible to defend against a super power, so there's no point. A country's biggest threat is from a regime change forced by an invading foreign idea. Imagine the population of the UK went on holiday to Iceland, then decided to stay. We could say we were running away from some kind of persecution and they should let us stay. Then we said "look you're letting us stay, you should give us a vote. It's only fair." Then at the next general election there was 3 main parties. Icelandic Labour, and Icelandic Tory. And the "Make Iceland British" party. Well the local's vote will be split between Labour and Tory. But we'll all vote "Make Iceland British" won't we. Next thing you know Iceland has just lost a war it didn't even know it was having! We win and they have to stop eating healthy fish and get angry when kfc stops feeding them... "

ok , could we defend ourselves from a French air attack or an Izraeli one then ?

salisbury

Let's make it easy !

Could we stop it ?

Silly me lol

Of course not. It's impossible to defend against a super power, so there's no point. A country's biggest threat is from a regime change forced by an invading foreign idea. Imagine the population of the UK went on holiday to Iceland, then decided to stay. We could say we were running away from some kind of persecution and they should let us stay. Then we said "look you're letting us stay, you should give us a vote. It's only fair." Then at the next general election there was 3 main parties. Icelandic Labour, and Icelandic Tory. And the "Make Iceland British" party. Well the local's vote will be split between Labour and Tory. But we'll all vote "Make Iceland British" won't we. Next thing you know Iceland has just lost a war it didn't even know it was having! We win and they have to stop eating healthy fish and get angry when kfc stops feeding them... ok , could we defend ourselves from a French air attack or an Izraeli one then ?"

Right now from France, No. We don't have a permanent air defence system. Possibly from Israel. Just because of how long it would take for them to get here. But its still a numbers game.

salisbury

Let's make it easy !

Could we stop it ?

Silly me lol

Of course not. It's impossible to defend against a super power, so there's no point. A country's biggest threat is from a regime change forced by an invading foreign idea. Imagine the population of the UK went on holiday to Iceland, then decided to stay. We could say we were running away from some kind of persecution and they should let us stay. Then we said "look you're letting us stay, you should give us a vote. It's only fair." Then at the next general election there was 3 main parties. Icelandic Labour, and Icelandic Tory. And the "Make Iceland British" party. Well the local's vote will be split between Labour and Tory. But we'll all vote "Make Iceland British" won't we. Next thing you know Iceland has just lost a war it didn't even know it was having! We win and they have to stop eating healthy fish and get angry when kfc stops feeding them...

This Sounds like the

Islamification of Europe i keep hearing about.Before you know everything is halal and the prime minister is named Mohammad and making everyone wear burkas and the blokes are in sandals and the national dish is falafal in pita bread.Ive put the Anglo Saxon European apocalypse in my diary at anytime before tea Jan 1st 2030 "

I know right! And the sad thing is people don't think its happening! . Ah well.

Let's make it easy !

Could we stop it ?

Silly me lol

Of course not. It's impossible to defend against a super power, so there's no point. A country's biggest threat is from a regime change forced by an invading foreign idea. Imagine the population of the UK went on holiday to Iceland, then decided to stay. We could say we were running away from some kind of persecution and they should let us stay. Then we said "look you're letting us stay, you should give us a vote. It's only fair." Then at the next general election there was 3 main parties. Icelandic Labour, and Icelandic Tory. And the "Make Iceland British" party. Well the local's vote will be split between Labour and Tory. But we'll all vote "Make Iceland British" won't we. Next thing you know Iceland has just lost a war it didn't even know it was having! We win and they have to stop eating healthy fish and get angry when kfc stops feeding them... ok , could we defend ourselves from a French air attack or an Izraeli one then ?

Right now from France, No. We don't have a permanent air defence system. Possibly from Israel. Just because of how long it would take for them to get here. But its still a numbers game. "

Appreciate Honest Answer !

Well that should be good for thought !

We can't defend against our nearest neighbour !!!

Just because we are supposedly friends now doesn't mean we always will be as we certainly haven't all ways been !

Suppose France becomes a Facsust State or a Hardline Communist One !

Or an Islamic State ?

Before people say I'm saying France is the Enemy I'm NOT !

I'm Simply saying before we embark on oversees wars or preferably DONT

We should make sure we can defend our Own Country from Attack !

Yes including Cyber Attacks, Espionage , Sabotage , and Terroism !!!

We should also have a strong Navy again to guard against Smuggling of ALL Types !

By *aggie and DanCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

If Britain was ever to face the threat of invasion, fear not! We have one aircraft carrier with no aircraft on it, 6 world class surface destroyers that were all in port a wee while ago because the engines don't work very well, a few submarines, a tiny army and myriad numbers of Estate Agents with paint-ball experience that would bravely line the white cliffs. Surrender now Putin!

"If Britain was ever to face the threat of invasion, fear not! We have one aircraft carrier with no aircraft on it, 6 world class surface destroyers that were all in port a wee while ago because the engines don't work very well, a few submarines, a tiny army and myriad numbers of Estate Agents with paint-ball experience that would bravely line the white cliffs. Surrender now Putin! "

you forgot the 52% who could hurl racist insults at the enemy

"If Britain was ever to face the threat of invasion, fear not! We have one aircraft carrier with no aircraft on it, 6 world class surface destroyers that were all in port a wee while ago because the engines don't work very well, a few submarines, a tiny army and myriad numbers of Estate Agents with paint-ball experience that would bravely line the white cliffs. Surrender now Putin! "

Estate agents and solicitors would be our front line if i was PM.Expendable comes to mind...

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

[Removed by poster at 12/03/18 17:32:52]

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"If Britain was ever to face the threat of invasion, fear not! We have one aircraft carrier with no aircraft on it, 6 world class surface destroyers that were all in port a wee while ago because the engines don't work very well, a few submarines, a tiny army and myriad numbers of Estate Agents with paint-ball experience that would bravely line the white cliffs. Surrender now Putin!

you forgot the 52% who could hurl racist insults at the enemy "

yep all 17-4 million of us leave voters are all racists get a fucking grip ffs

"If Britain was ever to face the threat of invasion, fear not! We have one aircraft carrier with no aircraft on it, 6 world class surface destroyers that were all in port a wee while ago because the engines don't work very well, a few submarines, a tiny army and myriad numbers of Estate Agents with paint-ball experience that would bravely line the white cliffs. Surrender now Putin!

you forgot the 52% who could hurl racist insults at the enemy yep all 17-4 million of us leave voters are all racists get a fucking grip ffs "

awwww

Ok lol , I'm joining in !

We could use out elite Football Regiments

Bushwackers

Service Crew

Soul Crew

I C F

etc !

By *aggie and DanCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

This is Putin. I surrender.

Admittedly much modified, but Challenger and Challenger 2 are still basically the same tank with a new frock (that's new armour skin, gun and powerpack).

If it ain't broke.... "

The Russians have produced a brand new tank from the bottom up I think if it came to it I would rather be in something new.

The UK hardly has any useable tanks left anyway

If it ain't broke....

The Russians have produced a brand new tank from the bottom up I think if it came to it I would rather be in something new.

The UK hardly has any useable tanks left anyway "

And we closed the Vickers Tank Factory in Leeds !

moston

"The Russians have produced a brand new tank from the bottom up I think if it came to it I would rather be in something new.

I would rather be in a Challenger 2 than any other NATO tank. Regardless of what others claim the fact is it has the rifled gun that holds the records for the longest single shot kills both on the move and stationary. In fact its range is nearly a mile more than the smooth bore gun used by Abrams and Leopard tanks.

Cambridge

If it ain't broke....

We are getting a new fleet of armoured vehicles, the Ajax.

Cambridge

"The Russians have produced a brand new tank from the bottom up I think if it came to it I would rather be in something new.

The UK hardly has any useable tanks left anyway

I would rather be in a Challenger 2 than any other NATO tank. Regardless of what others claim the fact is it has the rifled gun that holds the records for the longest single shot kills both on the move and stationary. In fact its range is nearly a mile more than the smooth bore gun used by Abrams and Leopard tanks."

I think you are overlooking the MAJOR advantage of the Challenger 2 over the Abrams or Leopard.

moston

"I think you are overlooking the MAJOR advantage of the Challenger 2 over the Abrams or Leopard. "

What would that be? (Other than British troops in my day were bastards who aimed at targets and shot to kill while the majority of troops from other NATO countries did not aim and shot to suppress fire.

Cambridge

"I think you are overlooking the MAJOR advantage of the Challenger 2 over the Abrams or Leopard.

What would that be? (Other than British troops in my day were bastards who aimed at targets and shot to kill while the majority of troops from other NATO countries did not aim and shot to suppress fire."

Honestly Will, I'm disappointed in you. The ability to make a brew!

moston

"Honestly Will, I'm disappointed in you. The ability to make a brew! "

It's a 'wet' only pongos drink brews...

» Add a new message to this topic