FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > More Tory disenfranchisement of the poor!

More Tory disenfranchisement of the poor!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *illwill69u OP   Man  over a year ago

moston

The day after the government announced that it was going ahead with its plans to force all wishing to vote to produce 'acceptable' photo ID when voting to cut down on voter fraud (there were 28 reported cases at the last general election), they have announced that the cost of passports is to rise by 27% on the 28th of this month.

Seems May is looking to Trump for more than just a trade deal, I wonder how long it will be before she starts musing about using emergency powers (because the EU refuse to give her what she wants and the country is in crisis due to a no deal hard brexit) to suspend elections here.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yawn...

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

As usual, your now obvious obsession has clouded the facts again.

Passport costs for an adult will be rising by 17% only for postal applications. Applying online, the cost will rise by just £3, that's 4%

Photo ID for election purposes was asked for by the independent Electoral Commission back in 2014, with implementation by 2019.

"The day after the government announced that it was going ahead with its plans to force all wishing to vote to produce 'acceptable' photo ID when voting to cut down on voter fraud (there were 28 reported cases at the last general election), they have announced that the cost of passports is to rise by 27% on the 28th of this month.

Seems May is looking to Trump for more than just a trade deal, I wonder how long it will be before she starts musing about using emergency powers (because the EU refuse to give her what she wants and the country is in crisis due to a no deal hard brexit) to suspend elections here."

Next election is in 2022 so uk will be up shit creak by then either way ??

What about people who have no photo I'd like myself who has no driving licence or passport, will that mean I can't and won't be allowed to vote?

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

Surely in a democracy people cannot be charged for their right to vote?

They had better start issuing photo Id for nowt in that case.

moston

"What about people who have no photo I'd like myself who has no driving licence or passport, will that mean I can't and won't be allowed to vote? "

You got it...

Note who thinks that removing your right to vote free of charge is a boring subject and their attitude to me bringing it up.

moston

"Surely in a democracy people cannot be charged for their right to vote?

They had better start issuing photo Id for nowt in that case. "

Why should tories issue free id voting cards to those who can't afford to buy id? After all its the poor who will not be able to afford to buy id and they are more likely to vote labour. So there is no profit for tories in giving free voter id to those who cant afford to buy id...

Grantham

"The day after the government announced that it was going ahead with its plans to force all wishing to vote to produce 'acceptable' photo ID when voting to cut down on voter fraud (there were 28 reported cases at the last general election), they have announced that the cost of passports is to rise by 27% on the 28th of this month.

Seems May is looking to Trump for more than just a trade deal, I wonder how long it will be before she starts musing about using emergency powers (because the EU refuse to give her what she wants and the country is in crisis due to a no deal hard brexit) to suspend elections here.

Next election is in 2022 so uk will be up shit creak by then either way ?? "

That's the next scheduled General Election.

Photo ID is being trialled at five places in this May's local elections.

Northern Ireland has had ID requirements for voting since 1985. You can apply for a free ID voting card in the province.

People without ID, and those opposed to the idea, could always use their postal vote.

I'm sure that digital voting will be the norm within the next decade.

"Yawn..."

Time for bed for the light weights and the children.Nighty night.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Yawn..."

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"What about people who have no photo I'd like myself who has no driving licence or passport, will that mean I can't and won't be allowed to vote? "
You get a photo taken and n ID card simple.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"What about people who have no photo I'd like myself who has no driving licence or passport, will that mean I can't and won't be allowed to vote? You get a photo taken and n ID card simple."

I’m surprised that someone that is TV/TS of all people would dismiss the process offhand as ‘simple’. It may be for a lot of people, but not for all.

-Matt

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"As usual, your now obvious obsession has clouded the facts again.

Passport costs for an adult will be rising by 17% only for postal applications. Applying online, the cost will rise by just £3, that's 4%

Photo ID for election purposes was asked for by the independent Electoral Commission back in 2014, with implementation by 2019."

Photo ID for voting is also already happening in other EU countries. For example in last week's elections in Italy anyone voting in person at a polling station had to show ID. Sky news showed video footage of ex Italian Prime minister Matteo Renzi voting and he showed his passport at the poling station. Why didn't the OP kick up a fuss about this last week in the Italian elections then or indeed back in 2014 when the independent electoral commission first asked for it to be applied in the UK?

moston

"Photo ID for voting is also already happening in other EU countries. For example in last week's elections in Italy anyone voting in person at a polling station had to show ID. Sky news showed video footage of ex Italian Prime minister Matteo Renzi voting and he showed his passport at the poling station. Why didn't the OP kick up a fuss about this last week in the Italian elections then or indeed back in 2014 when the independent electoral commission first asked for it to be applied in the UK? "

It is quite simple, I live in the UK and think there are enough problems here that need to be dealt with. Now when Italian politics threaten to impact the UK you will find that I will be all over the subject.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

The last Labour Govt wanted to introduce ID cards in part to help with The control of inward EU migration. They were defeated in their efforts and with hindsight perhaps it was not such a bad idea after all.

moston

"The last Labour Govt wanted to introduce ID cards in part to help with The control of inward EU migration. They were defeated in their efforts and with hindsight perhaps it was not such a bad idea after all."

To be honest I am not against ID cards provided they are free and do not contain information that could be used to persecute any group in society such as religion or sexual orientation. In the same way I am not against a DNA data base of all those entitled to live in the UK either permanently or as visitors, but again with the same restrictions. In fact I can see many benefits from such a system such as a way of totally stopping welfare and NHS fraud. My problem is that all proposals I have seen require us to pay for ID cards, which makes them a form of poll tax and that I am firmly opposed to as it is a way of making the poorest in society into untermensch without rights or representation.

"The last Labour Govt wanted to introduce ID cards in part to help with The control of inward EU migration. They were defeated in their efforts and with hindsight perhaps it was not such a bad idea after all.

To be honest I am not against ID cards provided they are free and do not contain information that could be used to persecute any group in society such as religion or sexual orientation. In the same way I am not against a DNA data base of all those entitled to live in the UK either permanently or as visitors, but again with the same restrictions. In fact I can see many benefits from such a system such as a way of totally stopping welfare and NHS fraud. My problem is that all proposals I have seen require us to pay for ID cards, which makes them a form of poll tax and that I am firmly opposed to as it is a way of making the poorest in society into untermensch without rights or representation. "

Do you have a UK drivng licence?

I was surprised to learn 3.5 million people here don't have ID, the vast majority seem to be from disadvantaged and black and ethnic minorities .

I can know see why the right and the kippers are in favour of this.

Obviously removing around 7% of the population from the election most of whom wouldn't vote for right wing parties.Keeps the right wing xenophobes in power.

Grantham

"I was surprised to learn 3.5 million people here don't have ID, the vast majority seem to be from disadvantaged and black and ethnic minorities .

Obviously removing around 7% of the population from the election most of whom wouldn't vote for right wing parties.Keeps the right wing xenophobes in power."

And they couldn't use the postal voting system because....?

Here in France its obligatory to carry ID. Here as a French national you get an ID card free. This card allows you to travel to other countries so no need for a passport unless your traveling far and wide. The UK tried to introduce an ID card years ago but the will of the people opposed it - on freedoms of liberty - should have done it as would have made life easier for a lot of services and enhanced security in this country.

"I was surprised to learn 3.5 million people here don't have ID, the vast majority seem to be from disadvantaged and black and ethnic minorities .

Obviously removing around 7% of the population from the election most of whom wouldn't vote for right wing parties.Keeps the right wing xenophobes in power.

And they couldn't use the postal voting system because....?"

Open to fraud! How can you control a postal vote it's open to abuse by some people.

And they couldn't use the postal voting system because....?"

Of course they could do think it's right to make 3.5 million use the postal . Because of 28 incidents of voter fraud.If you don't think there is something else going on here with a ratio of 28 to 3.5 million .You need your head examined. Disproportionate doesn't even come close.I bet those 3.5 million have phones.Why not let them vote digitally.Otherqise quite frankly we cannot say we live in a democracy if we pass a law that prevents 3.5 million citzens from participating.

Grantham

And they couldn't use the postal voting system because....?

Open to fraud! How can you control a postal vote it's open to abuse by some people. "

That's just admitting that every form of voting is open to abuse, and to some extent it is. It's all about negating the risk.

Whilst I have some sympathy with those without ID, it is possible to vote in other ways.

What concerns me more is the low turnouts in many areas. I touched on digital voting above, many see this as the way forward?

Make voting mandatory (like it is in Belgium & Luxembourg).

By *VBethTV/TS  over a year ago

Warminster

28 detected counts of vote fraud. Detected is an important word.

"28 detected counts of vote fraud. Detected is an important word."
The fraud detected was by postal voting.The very thing suggested above to allow the 3.5 million who don't have ID to vote.Where's the logic in that..

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

[Removed by poster at 09/03/18 09:40:54]

canterbury

Hell fire ...if we had Id cards in UK.....they may find out about all the illegal people here ....heaven forbid

this is simply yet another tory mechanism to reduce the size of the opposition vote. it's a tried and tested method. ca-moron used electoral reform and managed to reduce the opposition vote by 2.5 million. The ding dong witch used it to much greater effect by introducing an electroral role based poll tax and managed to wipe 6 million out of the electoral system. this new idea will cost millions to implement and will lead to increased fuck ups at polling stations. it's a waste of fucking time.

Newbury

"Hell fire ...if we had Id cards in UK.....they may find out about all the illegal people here ....heaven forbid"

How would they do that, genuis?

canterbury

If u don't get Id card why not ..something to hide perhaps ....france ...u have to have one x

Newbury

"If u don't get Id card why not ..something to hide perhaps ....france ...u have to have one x"

And in English, please?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Introducing photo ID for voting purposes is something that the conservative party knows isn't really needed, due to the almost non-existent problem, whilst preventing some voters who would probably vote Labour, from actually being able to vote.

You wouldn't guess that there's been any need for austerity, the way the conservatives find £1bn money to deal with the DUP and spend money on such changes to UK voting, that evidence shows there's no real need to have.

Benefit changes coming in a few days will also result in the poorer members of society having their incomes reduced, as in-work and out of work benefits get reduced in real terms, following the prolonged worst cuts to income in modern times.

» Add a new message to this topic