FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Racism in uni's

Racism in uni's

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

It's sad in 2018 that the only black student in a hall of residence be subject to racial abuse!

The fact that there people who committed the crime are "educated" to a good standard it beggars belief. However if convicted should they be thrown out of uni?

Apparently it's fairly common at uni for this sort of thing - will it ever get better? Have politicians legitimised the race card?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

There has always been hidden racism everywhere in Briton, brexit just gave it permission to come out of the shadows and I fear that as we leave the EU and erect a virtual wall around our little island the depth of those benighted feelings will become more apparent.

By *ilk_TreMan  over a year ago

Wherever the party is!

"There has always been hidden racism everywhere in Briton, brexit just gave it permission to come out of the shadows and I fear that as we leave the EU and erect a virtual wall around our little island the depth of those benighted feelings will become more apparent. "

Bingo.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"It's sad in 2018 that the only black student in a hall of residence be subject to racial abuse!

The fact that there people who committed the crime are "educated" to a good standard it beggars belief. However if convicted should they be thrown out of uni?

Apparently it's fairly common at uni for this sort of thing - will it ever get better? Have politicians legitimised the race card?"

She was not the only BAME student in that hall of residence.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"There has always been hidden racism everywhere in Briton, brexit just gave it permission to come out of the shadows and I fear that as we leave the EU and erect a virtual wall around our little island the depth of those benighted feelings will become more apparent. "

This..

Some racist fuckwits have been emboldened by the referendum

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

This is what I refer to as hard racism which isn't that common.

Soft racism permeates our country and the fabric if our society.The sort of racism i'm referring to is when my daughter gets asked where she is from and she says here and the she's asked "well where are her family from" and she says here.Then gets told she can't be from here because she's not white.This upsets her as she's only 13 and is as British as fish and chips yet still today in 2018 she is not made to feel welcome by some in the country of her birth and her mothers birth.

We don't expect this to change in our lifetime.

"It's sad in 2018 that the only black student in a hall of residence be subject to racial abuse!

Apparently it's fairly common at uni for this sort of thing - will it ever get better? Have politicians legitimised the race card?

"

That's what the article stated as I wasn't there I can't argue the fact.

However if there were more black people there it's still not right!

Again only what I have read in the British newspapers they were chanting specifically at black people.

Still no one has expressed an opinion whether or not they should be thrown out of uni?

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

this as nothing to do with brexit as you know most young ppl voted remain they should be named and shamed and kicked out of uni so much for education eh

I could be wrong but isn't there already a law against this?.

"I could be wrong but isn't there already a law against this?."

What law would that be.?

"I could be wrong but isn't there already a law against this?.

What law would that be.? "

racially aggravated offences? Law and order/hate crime

Isn't this what those two Britain first Muppets got done for?

Grantham

Again only what I have read in the British newspapers they were chanting specifically at black people.

Still no one has expressed an opinion whether or not they should be thrown out of uni?"

She was the only one on that floor

My son is at that university and from what I've seen, it's a very laid back and multi-cultural environment.

Racial attacks do happen. Last year, Nottingham Trent recorded 3 such incidents. They had 30000 students through their establishment.

Any attack is one too many, and is just sheer ignorance on the part of the perpetrator. The students involved were immediately suspended subject to the police inquiry. If found proven, they will be explaining to their parents why they have been expelled from their courses.

Do they get thrown out for drink driving or speeding, d*unk and disorderly offences?

"Isn't this what those two Britain first Muppets got done for?"
Those two had a long history and ran an organisation the spread hate for a decade.I don't think you can compare a few students shouting abuse.

If everyone who hurled racial abuse got locked up then we'd need more prisons.

"Isn't this what those two Britain first Muppets got done for? Those two had a long history and ran an organisation the spread hate for a decade.I don't think you can compare a few students shouting abuse.

If everyone who hurled racial abuse got locked up then we'd need more prisons. "

No no, I wasn't comparing, I was asking isn't this the crime that these two got locked up for?.

It's on the statute isn't it

If it was me I would throw them out 0 tollerance

"Isn't this what those two Britain first Muppets got done for? Those two had a long history and ran an organisation the spread hate for a decade.I don't think you can compare a few students shouting abuse.

If everyone who hurled racial abuse got locked up then we'd need more prisons. .

No no, I wasn't comparing, I was asking isn't this the crime that these two got locked up for?.

It's on the statute isn't it"

They haven't been charged with anything as of today.Its still being investigated from what i can see.

Still no one has expressed an opinion whether or not they should be thrown out of uni?

She was the only one on that floor

My son is at that university and from what I've seen, it's a very laid back and multi-cultural environment.

Racial attacks do happen. Last year, Nottingham Trent recorded 3 such incidents. They had 30000 students through their establishment.

Any attack is one too many, and is just sheer ignorance on the part of the perpetrator. The students involved were immediately suspended subject to the police inquiry. If found proven, they will be explaining to their parents why they have been expelled from their courses.

"

Perfect!

But any other occasion were against mob justice and for the law aren't we?.

Now we want to impose mob justice by throwing them out of university?.

I'd rather the law deal with law breakers, what they did was unlawful plain and simple.

Maybe if we actually imposed the law onto people more often we'd have less problems like this coming up, this was my point about those two Muppets from Britain first, there a direct result of failure to impose the law in the first place

Grantham

"But any other occasion were against mob justice and for the law aren't we?.

I'd rather the law deal with law breakers, what they did was unlawful plain and simple.

Maybe if we actually imposed the law onto people more often we'd have less problems like this coming up, this was my point about those two Muppets from Britain first, there a direct result of failure to impose the law in the first place"

They allegedly broke the University code of conduct on racism (the same code applies to homophobia etc as well)

As the University is a private entity, then they are fully entitled to apply sanction as they see fit.

Maybe if we actually imposed the law onto people more often we'd have less problems like this coming up, this was my point about those two Muppets from Britain first, there a direct result of failure to impose the law in the first place

They allegedly broke the University code of conduct on racism (the same code applies to homophobia etc as well)

As the University is a private entity, then they are fully entitled to apply sanction as they see fit."

I'm not talking about what the university does I'm taking about a thread asking about wether of not we should be "calling" for the university to act.

The fact it has a racism and homophobia code of conduct is ridiculous.

Does it have a code of conduct for taking drugs or stealing from shops, drink driving?.

It's a pretty simple line needed for code of conduct, don't break the law

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

As the University is a private entity, then they are fully entitled to apply sanction as they see fit..

I'm not talking about what the university does I'm taking about a thread asking about wether of not we should be "calling" for the university to act.

Does it have a code of conduct for taking drugs or stealing from shops, drink driving?.

It's a pretty simple line needed for code of conduct, don't break the law"

A)No it isn't ridiculous and

B)Yes, they probably do.

I think the fact it's gone viral will force the police and uni to act.Normally the police are a waste of time and it gets swept under the carpet by the uni.

As the University is a private entity, then they are fully entitled to apply sanction as they see fit..

B)Yes, they probably do. "

Of course it's fucking ridiculous what idiots are they educating that need a code of conduct to know not to break the law?.

Just a simple one sentence is suffice.

Law breakers may face expulsion, job done move along

"I think the fact it's gone viral will force the police and uni to act.Normally the police are a waste of time and it gets swept under the carpet by the uni."

And this is the real problem in society, nobody seems willing or even able to implement laws we already have but are brilliantly and furiously developing new laws that won't be enforced either, while undermining laws we know work.

It's political genius

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

B)Yes, they probably do. .

Of course it's fucking ridiculous what idiots are they educating that need a code of conduct to know not to break the law?.

Law breakers may face expulsion, job done move along "

There is usually a code of conduct to justify the removal/discipline of students who break it.

It may well be more stringent than the law, as universities often expect higher standards than the law demands of their students.

When I was a student - halls of residence had wardens who ensured that codes of conduct were kept.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Racsism is a sad fact of life in every country in every race,creed and religion on the planet.It is part of humanity,it is not a good thing but neither is people killing each other in war etc but it is part of humanity.

Denial is modern,but I take the so called self righteous as being the most in denial.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"

Law breakers may face expulsion, job done move along "

It's very silly to think that whether you break the law or not is the only thing that matters.

There's plenty of behaviour a university wouldn't want from its students that wouldn't be considered breaking the law.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Brexit catalyzed racism in the UK - a referendum created by a political party to sustain their time in government - so it was founded by political acts and supported by politicians who were borderline racists in their tone.

I'm a student in the UK but don't see racism amongst students - it's seemingly more from older people in this country.

It was appalling what those students did and I can't see that they should continue to study there as they are in serious breach of the law and university behavioral code. This poor woman and others like her should not be put at risk in future - it would be a dereliction of duty by the uni if they did.

B)Yes, they probably do. .

There is usually a code of conduct to justify the removal/discipline of students who break it.

It may well be more stringent than the law, as universities often expect higher standards than the law demands of their students.

When I was a student - halls of residence had wardens who ensured that codes of conduct were kept. "

That's fine if they wish to enforce tougher rules than the law allows that's up to them.

I'm not a fan of that myself but as a private company it's they're right I suppose

"

It's very silly to think that whether you break the law or not is the only thing that matters.

There's plenty of behaviour a university wouldn't want from its students that wouldn't be considered breaking the law.

"

Could you give me an example of what you think somebody should be expelled for despite breaking no law?.

Apart from abiding by the law, surely there is also a moral code of respect, tollerance, compassion. The 21st century is supposed to be about the world getting better - not much evidence of that unfortunately.

moston

The sad fact is we all learn from our parents who learned from their parents, and if we are honest none of us have to go back far in our family histories to find rampant racism and religious bigotry. Also we all naturally pigeonhole everything and treat things that are different or unknown with suspicion. As a result we all need to learn how to control these negative emotional responses and this is difficult.

I am not making excuses for this outrageous behaviour, but am saying it is understandable. What I find totally unacceptable is that all the other students on that floor stayed hidden behind their door pretending they could not hear what was going on. What cowardice. All those who hid away should be ashamed of themselves, the mark of a persons character is not what they say and do when they feel save and confident but what they say and do when they are fearful. It seems many or most in that hall of res and the powers that be in Nottingham Trent Uni failed when tested.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"

Could you give me an example of what you think somebody should be expelled for despite breaking no law?.

"

Plagiarism.

-Matt

moston

"Plagiarism.

-Matt"

Plagiarise, plagiarise, plagiarise and dam your eyes!

https://youtu.be/gXlfXirQF3A

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"The sad fact is we all learn from our parents who learned from their parents, and if we are honest none of us have to go back far in our family histories to find rampant racism and religious bigotry. Also we all naturally pigeonhole everything and treat things that are different or unknown with suspicion. As a result we all need to learn how to control these negative emotional responses and this is difficult.

I am not making excuses for this outrageous behaviour, but am saying it is understandable. What I find totally unacceptable is that all the other students on that floor stayed hidden behind their door pretending they could not hear what was going on. What cowardice. All those who hid away should be ashamed of themselves, the mark of a persons character is not what they say and do when they feel save and confident but what they say and do when they are fearful. It seems many or most in that hall of res and the powers that be in Nottingham Trent Uni failed when tested."

A woman student confronted them, can hear her on the audio that was recorded..

Grantham

"The sad fact is we all learn from our parents who learned from their parents, and if we are honest none of us have to go back far in our family histories to find rampant racism and religious bigotry. Also we all naturally pigeonhole everything and treat things that are different or unknown with suspicion. As a result we all need to learn how to control these negative emotional responses and this is difficult.

I am not making excuses for this outrageous behaviour, but am saying it is understandable. What I find totally unacceptable is that all the other students on that floor stayed hidden behind their door pretending they could not hear what was going on. What cowardice. All those who hid away should be ashamed of themselves, the mark of a persons character is not what they say and do when they feel save and confident but what they say and do when they are fearful. It seems many or most in that hall of res and the powers that be in Nottingham Trent Uni failed when tested."

How do you know that the other students were in?

The incident happened on Monday evening. The poor girl made a complaint to the University on Tuesday but the person tasked with investigating, was called away on a family emergency. After investigations by the University, the perpetrators were identified, immediately suspended and the police called in.

Two men and a girl were arrested. The girl was later released, and the men released on Friday pending further inquiries.

The students of both Nottingham Universities have been unequivocal in their support for their fellow student and against racism. Nottingham Police have a very vigorous attitude to any personal attacks, more so than most police forces in this country.

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

Not sure 'cowardice' is true - on tape I heard on TV you can hear some other students shouting at the d*unk louts to leave the victim alone.

"

Plagiarism.

-Matt"

Funnily enough for a university I looked and there's no mention of plagiarism in the code of conduct!

The following (non-exhaustive) list gives examples of potentially Serious

Misconduct:

? Alleged or committed criminal offences.

? Assault or behaviour of a threatening, hostile or intimidatory nature; bullying

and harassment, including online harassment or hate crime.

? Possessing, supplying or dealing in illegal substances.

? Possession or use of offensive weapons (including replica weapons) on

University premises.

? Anti-social or disorderly conduct which causes distress to others.

? Behaviour which poses a serious risk to the safety or welfare of others.

? Non-accidental damage to property, whether owned by the University or

otherwise.

? Conduct in private accommodation, including noise nuisance, which leads to

serious or persistent complaints.

? False pretences or impersonation of others..

? Falsification or misuse of University records including degree or diploma

certificates.

? Conduct which, by whatever means, seriously disrupts or prejudices the work

or activities of the University and its community.

? Conduct which could bring the University into serious disrepute.

? Repeated breaches of this Code or other University Regulations.

? Failure or refusal to pay a fine or comply with a penalty previously issued for

a breach of the Code.

Like I said above many times.

As far as I can tell these students are no different than the two Muppets from Britain first, I'd like to see them face the same consequences,I lean left wing on tax policies but certainly not on societal policies.

Firm but fair like Singapore for me

London

"

"

You can Google Nottingham Trent University's code of conduct and read for yourself.

But one example would just be being a nuisance, simply. Disrupting lectures, being rude to fellow students and staff, not doing the actual work.

Certainly not illegal but a uni would want and be entitled to throw such people out if they won't change their ways.

"

You can Google Nottingham Trent University's code of conduct and read for yourself.

But one example would just be being a nuisance, simply. Disrupting lectures, being rude to fellow students and staff, not doing the actual work.

Certainly not illegal but a uni would want and be entitled to throw such people out if they won't change their ways."

If you read the bleeding thread three posts up I posted it

London

"

Certainly not illegal but a uni would want and be entitled to throw such people out if they won't change their ways..

If you read the bleeding thread three posts up I posted it "

Ah, you educated yourself. Well done! Try it more often in future!

"

Certainly not illegal but a uni would want and be entitled to throw such people out if they won't change their ways..

If you read the bleeding thread three posts up I posted it

Ah, you educated yourself. Well done! Try it more often in future! "

I did indeed unlike some who can't be arsed reading.

No surprises there though

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The university in this instance has 2 areas of responsibility - conduct within the university educational facilities and secondly within accommodation that they provide. Whilst students may live elsewhere and conduct between students away from university premises would still be subject to their behavioural codes, when they are providing homes for students, there has to be a very tight regulation of behaviour.

Just the very fact, as an example, that a woman is vulnerable, whilst there are men around, means that there are significant risks and responsibilities that the uni carries, is enough to highlight why behaviour that is intimidating, threatening etc should be enough to have offending students subject to disciplinary measures.

It is right that universities ensure that their students do not harass others and more specifically those people with 'protected characteristics' as defined in law - age, disability, transgender,

religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation as examples. Universities are legally bound to ensure that they provide such protections to their students.

» Add a new message to this topic