FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > A Benefit of The Trump Slump

A Benefit of The Trump Slump

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oo hot OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

Another flight less than two thirds full despite less flights now between Manchester and USA. I had two seats to myself coming out and have four seats going home.

I guess there are some benefits to Trumps unpopularity. Up until about 18 months ago I felt very very lucky to get an empty seat next to me but now it is to be expected even though American have or are about to ditch their NY flight from Manchester.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

In 2007 i shared a 777 with 14 people. Denver to Heathrow. Was that trumps fault to?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"In 2007 i shared a 777 with 14 people. Denver to Heathrow. Was that trumps fault to?"

that takes some serious trumps to clear that many off a flight..

North West

"In 2007 i shared a 777 with 14 people. Denver to Heathrow. Was that trumps fault to?"

Just comparing like for like flights over a 7 year period, not one offs. I do the same dates, by the same airline, on the same aircraft, to the same hub - four times a year. The last five or six trips have been noticeably less busy.

I actually commented on this to the Steward last night and he confirmed that passenger numbers were so severely down that AA were cutting down on flights generally from non capital airports in Europe but that traffic from Africa and Asia was even more reduced.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Why do you think fewer people are travelling on these routes?

North West

"Why do you think fewer people are travelling on these routes?"

There has been a statistical drop of incoming tourist numbers to the United States since Q4 2016 and every month and every quarter has been less than the year before. Only Canadians are visiting in greater numbers.

Some media outlets refer to it as “The Trump Slump” as international visitors give their opinion on Trump’s America. Of course, it could be unconnected but these are the first month on month reductions of international tourist arrivals for decades.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

I never had any strong desire to visit America. I still don't. Weaker now. Nicer places to go.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I must say if I wanted to go to America it wouldn't make any difference to my decision on who the president was whether I went or not.

I doubt it's that it's entirely down to Trump, probably because wage growth is stagnant/low across most of the developed world.

That said his unpopularity sparks low level public unrest which is likely a deterrent more than he is.

And his 'America First' economic model seems to be putting off non-American investors which will help deplete flight numbers.

However from the respective as someone whose friends are mainly 25-30, out of all those who live/are British nationals, only 4 have gone to the states, and only 2 were really pumped about it. Most are more interested in getting out to the modern hi-tech nations like Japan and Singapore. Or they want to play it safe with our continental neighbours.

I that the relinquishment of the 'Pax Americana' comes hand in hand with it being less of an attractive place to live, work and visit.

"I must say if I wanted to go to America it wouldn't make any difference to my decision on who the president was whether I went or not."

Idk, I don't really like the idea of a visit being disrupted by Antifa/Alt-right protests, there seems to be one every other week now.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Nicer places to go."

I would have to question this assertion.

Regardless of your opinion of Americans, America has it all wrapped in (American) English speaking first world packaging.

"Another flight less than two thirds full despite less flights now between Manchester and USA. I had two seats to myself coming out and have four seats going home.

I guess there are some benefits to Trumps unpopularity. Up until about 18 months ago I felt very very lucky to get an empty seat next to me but now it is to be expected even though American have or are about to ditch their NY flight from Manchester."

you should fly Business class, you wont need two seats or indeed 4 seats, one seat in business is good enough to provide a nice relaxing flight

"Why do you think fewer people are travelling on these routes?

There has been a statistical drop of incoming tourist numbers to the United States since Q4 2016 and every month and every quarter has been less than the year before. Only Canadians are visiting in greater numbers.

Some media outlets refer to it as “The Trump Slump” as international visitors give their opinion on Trump’s America. Of course, it could be unconnected but these are the first month on month reductions of international tourist arrivals for decades. "

so its all Trump? nothing to do with devaluation of the pound ££££££££££

North West

Some media outlets refer to it as “The Trump Slump” as international visitors give their opinion on Trump’s America. Of course, it could be unconnected but these are the first month on month reductions of international tourist arrivals for decades.

so its all Trump? nothing to do with devaluation of the pound ££££££££££ "

How does that affect the reductions from the rest of Europe, Africa and Asia which are on an even greater scale than from the UK?

How does that affect the reductions from the rest of Europe, Africa and Asia which are on an even greater scale than from the UK? "

I like how the reduction of the pound which has been spun as a good thing, in now been recognised as being restrictive to dome extent.

As for why are numbers dropping from Europe - well thats interesting maybe its just as continentals are less bothered about the states than the anglosphere world.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Be interesting to see the split between Business as against Tourist travel.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

so its all Trump? nothing to do with devaluation of the pound ££££££££££ "

common misconception..... being aviation fuel is already priced in us dollars.... prices for americans coming to britain won't have change.... but because of that lovely devaluation you talk about, it has become more expensive for brits to travel.......

so...thank you leavers!!!

anyway... because "open skies" will no long exist the american airlines may keep some of their "non-capital" uk routes a little longer, because they may end up losing some slots into london, especially heathrow.....

"Be interesting to see the split between Business as against Tourist travel."
Another interesting factor would be the revenue per seat per passenger. Profitability is much more important that the number of passengers flown . I find it hard to believe that many people would change their decision to visit a country based on who is President .

President Trump must be popular . He returned more seats that any other party.

Opinion polls and in many instances people's opinions on this issue are irrelevant . The only result that matters is that returned on the day of the election.

"

common misconception..... being aviation fuel is already priced in us dollars.... prices for americans coming to britain won't have change.... but because of that lovely devaluation you talk about, it has become more expensive for brits to travel.......

anyway... because "open skies" will no long exist the american airlines may keep some of their "non-capital" uk routes a little longer, because they may end up losing some slots into london, especially heathrow....."

I Always fly United, I have no option, I am drawn into the net of being MileagePlus Premier Gold status, so cant afford to loose miles flying with another, the rewards are too good.

I did fly Virgin 2 years back, 10 hour flight to vegas, it was okay but not as good as direct United from Edinburgh or Glasgow.

If you cant afford any increase of price, its simple don't fly, stick with the cheap seats of Ryanair, easyjet and the likes and fly to your beloved Europe

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

anyway... because "open skies" will no long exist the american airlines may keep some of their "non-capital" uk routes a little longer, because they may end up losing some slots into london, especially heathrow.....

I Always fly United, I have no option, I am drawn into the net of being MileagePlus Premier Gold status, so cant afford to loose miles flying with another, the rewards are too good.

I did fly Virgin 2 years back, 10 hour flight to vegas, it was okay but not as good as direct United from Edinburgh or Glasgow.

If you cant afford any increase of price, its simple don't fly, stick with the cheap seats of Ryanair, easyjet and the likes and fly to your beloved Europe"

in your effect to be condescending "i'm better than you" as per usual (succeeded there) you have missed an important point....

"because of that lovely devaluation you talk about, it has become more expensive for brits to travel....... "

um... that would be travelling to ALL DESTINATIONS......

North West

"Be interesting to see the split between Business as against Tourist travel. Another interesting factor would be the revenue per seat per passenger. Profitability is much more important that the number of passengers flown . I find it hard to believe that many people would change their decision to visit a country based on who is President .

Opinion polls and in many instances people's opinions on this issue are irrelevant . The only result that matters is that returned on the day of the election. "

Hello Pat - back again with a new profile? You are like the Scarlett Pimpernel...

You are wrong that people’s opinions are irrelevant because the perception of the United States now being an unfriendly country is affecting incoming tourist numbers and this has a direct negative economic impact on the United States. This appears to be one of the very few economic effects that can be directly attributable to Donald Trump’s actions and rhetoric.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"Be interesting to see the split between Business as against Tourist travel. Another interesting factor would be the revenue per seat per passenger. Profitability is much more important that the number of passengers flown . I find it hard to believe that many people would change their decision to visit a country based on who is President .

Opinion polls and in many instances people's opinions on this issue are irrelevant . The only result that matters is that returned on the day of the election.

Hello Pat - back again with a new profile? You are like the Scarlett Pimpernel...

You are wrong that people’s opinions are irrelevant because the perception of the United States now being an unfriendly country is affecting incoming tourist numbers and this has a direct negative economic impact on the United States. This appears to be one of the very few economic effects that can be directly attributable to Donald Trump’s actions and rhetoric."

Or put another way, if people’s opinions on matters like this didn’t matter, then why is social media such a powerful tool in politics these days? Why are we concerning ourselves with the effect of Facebook and Twitter? Why does Cambridge Analytic exist, or Russian bot nets?

Simple answer: because opinion *does matter* and is insanely powerful, as politicians are finding out.

-Matt

"Another flight less than two thirds full despite less flights now between Manchester and USA. I had two seats to myself coming out and have four seats going home.

I guess there are some benefits to Trumps unpopularity. Up until about 18 months ago I felt very very lucky to get an empty seat next to me but now it is to be expected even though American have or are about to ditch their NY flight from Manchester."

wish I could find same flights as you

wish hotels were also the same as the flights you find, forward planning is needed to ensure road trips run smoothly

» Add a new message to this topic