FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Brexit and fishing

Brexit and fishing

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oo hot OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

What is the big deal? Do we really think Gove, Rees-Mogg and Johnson really give a flying fuck about fishing?

I heard today that the fishing industry is responsible for the employment of around 25,000 people and to put that into perspective, the NHS is currently under staffed by 80,000 people.

Excuse the pun, but the fishing issue seems to be a red herring.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

The UK fishermen are in a catch 22. Although we are an island nation, we don't actually eat that much fish these days, so they actually sell most of their catch to mainland Europe. In order to do that, they ideally have tariff free trade, i.e. staying in the SM/CU. However, if they do that, then they have to agree to the CFP, and allow other countries boats to fish in our water. That said though, the UK doesn't actually use all of the fishing quotas it is entitled too as our industry is too small, and so we actually sell some of our fishing rights to other nations anyway.

So out of the EU, the fishermen will have more fish to catch, but fewer places to sell it, and there is no point in catching fish if you can't sell it.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Fishing is responsible for 0.05% of GDP, so not a huge sum in the great scheme of things. However, vigorous lobbying by Denmark and France, who have large fishing fleets, has meant that this is one sector that the UK has had to give ground on in order to secure a better deal on trade overall.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My favourite past time has become a crime this year.it is illegal for the public to catch and keep a single sea bass for the table in 2018.

The sea bass fishery, which belongs to all of us, has just been privatised. If you want to put a sea bass on your family table, you must buy one from a commercial fisherman, you are not allowed to go and catch one yourself.

"

My favourite past time has become a crime this year.it is illegal for the public to catch and keep a single sea bass for the table in 2018.

The sea bass fishery, which belongs to all of us, has just been privatised. If you want to put a sea bass on your family table, you must buy one from a commercial fisherman, you are not allowed to go and catch one yourself."

you always play by the rules bob?

If thery did not jack up the prices of fish to the consumer then people would eat more fish and probably a bit less meat.

I see reese moggy is going to fling cod off a trawler in the Thames in protest to our fisherman getting shafted.I would of preferred he flung farage of a trawler.He didn't give a fuck about fishing here.To be fair neither do the EU.

By *ustJ0dieTV/TS  over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

The way I understood it, we export a large proportion of our catch as it is fish we generally don't eat in this country, but they eat it elsewhere in Europe. And we import a lot of the stuff we do eat in return.

And it looks like fishing will be sacrificed for services in the final deal, as services is a bigger industry.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

It is a political row because various Conservatives promised the fishing communities the UK would leave the Common Fisheries Policy when Brexit happens in 2019.

It was enougho get a few Conservative MPs elected in Scotland at the last UK General Election.

Those same communities now feel as though they were stitched up by liars.

It has echoes of the early 1970s when those same communities felt their fishing grounds were sold from beneath them as part of the UK negotiations to join the EEC.

About the same time, one part of the EEC saw what was happening to the UK fishing grounds and how they were being opened up to other countries. It left the EEC in order to retain control of its fishing grounds. The country was Greenland.

"I see reese moggy is going to fling cod off a trawler in the Thames in protest to our fisherman getting shafted.I would of preferred he flung farage of a trawler.He didn't give a fuck about fishing here.To be fair neither do the EU.

"

Saw that- disgusting gesture and completely immoral.

In any case, I can imagine him with gloves, fully suited and booted, and goggles on while throwing a dead animal back into the sea.

And, I believe that fishing was one of the areas totally devolved in Scotland, until the recent retraction, and now rests in Westminster, which may suggest Westminster, despite its recent pro UK rhetoric, had planned the EU giveaway for some time.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

It underlines the weakness of the UK position in relation to the EU - and the dishonesty of our leaders who will say anything to anybody in order to muddle their way through this mess.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"I see reese moggy is going to fling cod off a trawler in the Thames in protest to our fisherman getting shafted.I would of preferred he flung farage of a trawler.He didn't give a fuck about fishing here.To be fair neither do the EU.

Saw that- disgusting gesture and completely immoral.

In any case, I can imagine him with gloves, fully suited and booted, and goggles on while throwing a dead animal back into the sea. "

JRM will not be throwing dead fish into the Thames.

He will be on board the trawler, along with another couple of MPs though.

Over 90% of fisherman voted for brexit and everyone of them are furious today and feel betrayed.They cant trust these devious liars .

Strange how Westminster is full of liars in one thread, then nip over to a Russia sanction or assassination thread and they are all being backed to the hilt, strange indeed

I've said it time and again.

If we actually want to save our smaller coastal communities a far better scheme would be to look at aquaculture and offshore energy development.

Both these will support 'graduate level' jobs, advanced technical skill jobs, apprenticeships and low level skill jobs.

My fear is that we harp on about our fisheries, yet in this country we have a terrible habit of decimating potentially renewable resources.

The Scottish government had put in place exclusion zones and no-fish seasons to protect the stock.....but rEU boats weren't bound by that.

Let's hope that post Brexit that Westminster will have the balls to put the same thing in place for UK wide boats.

By *eedsandyMan  over a year ago

Leeds

What is amusing is that all the controversy is over Scottish waters. Scotland would like to stay in the EU, and so would have to continue to allow the Spanish, etc fish in their waters, so what is the problem now?

Burton-on-Trent

It amuses me that Farage is there chucking fish off the boat, he who failed to turn up to his meetings on EU fisheries.

What an absolute cunt that man is. But brexit toting fishermen love him.

By *eedsandyMan  over a year ago

Leeds

"It amuses me that Farage is there chucking fish off the boat, he who failed to turn up to his meetings on EU fisheries.

What an absolute cunt that man is. But brexit toting fishermen love him. "

They love him because he delivered Brexit. And after the transitional period then the Spanish etc will not be able to fish in UK waters, leaving the fish for the "brexit toting fishermen".

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"And, I believe that fishing was one of the areas totally devolved in Scotland, until the recent retraction, and now rests in Westminster, which may suggest Westminster, despite its recent pro UK rhetoric, had planned the EU giveaway for some time."

nope........

the "fishing" that is devolved to holyrood deals with recreational fishing that you or i do.... so stuff like permits, when and what you can catch, ect....

nothing to do with the commercial side and quota's, which has always been with brussels and the CFP....

the reason why the snp are not going to kick up a fuss is because there position is they want an independent scotland to be part of the EU, they have conceded they wouldn't have that power anyway....

so the SNP will point out the tories haven't quiet kept the promise (instead of getting control in apr 19, they would now get it in 2020 instead) but won't push the issue....

We could learn a lot from Norway last year monster cod were breaking records. Cod this size haven't been seen for a century here caught in numbers.

In the 80s in some years the fisheries were completely shut down in Norway..Our government and the EU don't have the balls for such a measure. Today Norway is reaping the harvest of good sustainable forward thinking.

Burton-on-Trent

"It amuses me that Farage is there chucking fish off the boat, he who failed to turn up to his meetings on EU fisheries.

What an absolute cunt that man is. But brexit toting fishermen love him.

They love him because he delivered Brexit. And after the transitional period then the Spanish etc will not be able to fish in UK waters, leaving the fish for the "brexit toting fishermen".

"

Lol, you reckon?

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"We could learn a lot from Norway last year monster cod were breaking records. Cod this size haven't been seen for a century here caught in numbers.

In the 80s in some years the fisheries were completely shut down in Norway..Our government and the EU don't have the balls for such a measure. Today Norway is reaping the harvest of good sustainable forward thinking."

and part of that is fishing management and sensible quota levels.....

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

I eat more and more fish these days so hope the fishermen get the right deal and prices come down as the price is prohibitive these days for many people and we all know it is good for us.I do sympathise with the fishermen they do a very tough job

"And, I believe that fishing was one of the areas totally devolved in Scotland, until the recent retraction, and now rests in Westminster, which may suggest Westminster, despite its recent pro UK rhetoric, had planned the EU giveaway for some time.

nope........

the "fishing" that is devolved to holyrood deals with recreational fishing that you or i do.... so stuff like permits, when and what you can catch, ect....

nothing to do with the commercial side and quota's, which has always been with brussels and the CFP....

the reason why the snp are not going to kick up a fuss is because there position is they want an independent scotland to be part of the EU, they have conceded they wouldn't have that power anyway....

so the SNP will point out the tories haven't quiet kept the promise (instead of getting control in apr 19, they would now get it in 2020 instead) but won't push the issue...."

That's wrong.

The commercial fishing is now under Westminster. When devolved, it affected the commercial fleet.

To clarify- the UK has sole rights to the six mile mark, then between 6 and 12, only a few EU countries are allowed to fish. It's the size of their catches that is the problem

Scotland had control up to the 12 mile mark until the recent removal of that devolved power to Westminster.

» Add a new message to this topic