FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Pan-African trade deal

Pan-African trade deal

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asyuk OP   Man  over a year ago

West London

First baby steps.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-43489255

44 out of 54 countries creating a continental market. 10 outside including Nigeria.

Need a ratification and plenty can go wrong but am interesting development.

They must be stupid though. Much better to negotiate with China alone right?

It could meant that the UK is negotiating with an African trade block once we start our great solo adventure. Hmmmm.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

It's a good job were leaving the EU then because the EU would probably allow open door mass immigration with the African bloc as part of it negotiating strategy.....oh hang on a minute, isn't that already happening!!!!!!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"An estimated 220,000 citizens from other EU countries immigrated to the UK in the year to September 2017, and about 130,000 emigrated abroad. So EU ‘net migration’ was around 90,000—the lowest level recorded since 2012.

Estimated non-EU net migration, meanwhile, is 205,000 a year—the highest level recorded since 2011. It has been almost consistently higher than EU migration for decades.

"

BUT... all our woes stem from the smallest amount of immigration just because it's from the horrible EU ??

Interesting

South Africa’s new president has backed the creation of a pan-African currency .

I hope Africans unite.Its been a long time coming.Such a rich continent.Abused for centuries.Maybe mother Africa's time has come.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

"South Africa’s new president has backed the creation of a pan-African currency .

I hope Africans unite.Its been a long time coming.Such a rich continent.Abused for centuries.Maybe mother Africa's time has come. "

Isn't this why we killed general Gaddafi? Wasn't he trying to organise a currency like the Euro. But based on the value of gold. And make it so all oil sold in Africa would have to be bought in that currency rather than USD...

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"South Africa’s new president has backed the creation of a pan-African currency .

I hope Africans unite.Its been a long time coming.Such a rich continent.Abused for centuries.Maybe mother Africa's time has come. "

The middle east needs something similar, but great to see it happening in Africa.

By *asyuk OP   Man  over a year ago

West London

"It's a good job were leaving the EU then because the EU would probably allow open door mass immigration with the African bloc as part of it negotiating strategy.....oh hang on a minute, isn't that already happening!!!!!! "

Just like we are going to be flooded by immigration from Turkey and Syria according to the helpful Brexit flyer?

"Probably" according to whom?

An African union would be powerful and i see they are going for free movement of people also.

"It's a good job were leaving the EU then because the EU would probably allow open door mass immigration with the African bloc as part of it negotiating strategy.....oh hang on a minute, isn't that already happening!!!!!! "

You realise that this potential new African bloc might easily pull an India on us.

e.g, We're a bigger economy/combined economy, therefore we want visa restrictions and immigration quotas set or our citizens.

That'll be fun wont it.

all i know is that they love buying records ... one third of all my record sales are from africa ... who'd have thunk it

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"An African union would be powerful and i see they are going for free movement of people also. "

That'll be interesting. Weren't South Africa kicking off not long back, about migrants from poorer nations bunking over the border to pinch jobs?

salisbury

It could mean the end of famine i guess, if they all move south.

"It could mean the end of famine i guess, if they all move south. "
Countries like Nigeria and SA will fear mass migration no doubt, however the weather patterns have changed.

South Africa is in the grip of a 3 year drought.They've been rationing water there now.Its only getting worse.

salisbury

"It could mean the end of famine i guess, if they all move south. Countries like Nigeria and SA will fear mass migration no doubt, however the weather patterns have changed.

South Africa is in the grip of a 3 year drought.They've been rationing water there now.Its only getting worse."

Ah come on. We've been in recession for god knows how long and it never stopped anyone coming here looking for a job did it?

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"An African union would be powerful and i see they are going for free movement of people also.

That'll be interesting. Weren't South Africa kicking off not long back, about migrants from poorer nations bunking over the border to pinch jobs?"

South Africa was a magnet for economic migrants for decades. When I was at sea we had to do more thorough stowaway searches when heading down from Tanzania or Mozambique into S Africa than from/to any other countries in the world - and that was in the apartheid era.

It's a good development.

Time will tell if it is real.

For those who don't know, African states trade more with us than themselves.

"An African union would be powerful and i see they are going for free movement of people also. "

That doesn't mean much, Africa is the least networked place on the planet in every sense.

There is a question of whether agricultural migrant labour can compete with mechanized industrial farms.

I suspect the answer is No, for the major crops. Those should be left to the machines.

However there exist agricultural jobs that machines cannot do because they are 'finicky', there could be new types of crops that become economical to harvest if new markets could be opened, there's a bounty of vegetables and fruits, think new varieties of coffee beans, there's more than just Robusta and Arabica - most of them are in Ethiopia.

The big problem is the cost of fuel, it's too high and Africa is too large - the whole idea of transportation needs rethinking. I might pick up some Vaclav Smil books, he seems to have a head for this sort of topic.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"An African union would be powerful and i see they are going for free movement of people also.

That doesn't mean much, Africa is the least networked place on the planet in every sense.

There is a question of whether agricultural migrant labour can compete with mechanized industrial farms.

I suspect the answer is No, for the major crops. Those should be left to the machines.

However there exist agricultural jobs that machines cannot do because they are 'finicky', there could be new types of crops that become economical to harvest if new markets could be opened, there's a bounty of vegetables and fruits, think new varieties of coffee beans, there's more than just Robusta and Arabica - most of them are in Ethiopia.

The big problem is the cost of fuel, it's too high and Africa is too large - the whole idea of transportation needs rethinking. I might pick up some Vaclav Smil books, he seems to have a head for this sort of topic."

Coffee is a prime example of a crop that cannot be easily (currently) mechanically harvested. So countries like Kenya, Rwanda and Tanzania could do well. I've no idea whether they have a labour shortage that freedom of movement would help though.

-Matt

» Add a new message to this topic