FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Assisted Dying / Dignity in Death

Assisted Dying / Dignity in Death

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Guernsey could become the first place in the British Isles to allow assisted dying under proposals expected to be voted on in May in its parliament.

The island's chief minister, Gavin St Pier, is backing a bill to allow people to end their lives with the help of a doctor if they are terminally ill, are mentally competent and have less than six months to live.

The move raises the prospect of people from mainland UK who meet the criteria and want to die travelling to the island to take advantage of the law

The Guernsey proposal is based on the 'Oregon model', which is restricted to people with a diagnosed terminal illness and has been adopted in six US states, including Oregon, plus Canada and the Australian state of Victoria. New Zealand is currently considering legislation

Having watched my brother die of terminal cancer along with palliative care & nil by mouth, I am 100% backing assisted dying and the "dignity in dying campaign

I have written on many occasions to Scottish MP's as well as spoken direct to them at village meetings.

In Scotland (2015) MSPs have rejected the Assisted Suicide Scotland Bill by 82 votes to 36 following a debate at Holyrood

Sadly my MSP - Roseanna Cunningham (Perthshire South and Kinross-shire) (SNP) opposed this bill, but I will continue to fight for assisted dying.

anyone have opinions in this delicate matter.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

It will come eventually.

By *ustJ0dieTV/TS  over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

Yes I believe that where we don't have the medical expertise to cure someone with a terminal illness, we should have the compassion for them and their families to allow them to die with dignity if they chose to do so.

And it should cease to be a privilege for the rich also.

"Yes I believe that where we don't have the medical expertise to cure someone with a terminal illness, we should have the compassion for them and their families to allow them to die with dignity if they chose to do so.

And it should cease to be a privilege for the rich also. "

The cost of Dignitas is between £10,000 - £15,000

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

All in favour of an assisted dying law, there are situations where if you kept a dog alive the same way we keep people alive you would be jailed for cruelty, or the way we let people die for that matter, I know this is not a fair comparison but hopefully youll understand what I mean

By *ustJ0dieTV/TS  over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

"Yes I believe that where we don't have the medical expertise to cure someone with a terminal illness, we should have the compassion for them and their families to allow them to die with dignity if they chose to do so.

And it should cease to be a privilege for the rich also.

The cost of Dignitas is between £10,000 - £15,000"

For most, having disposable cash of that amount is rich. I wouldn't have it. Don't quibble over stuff like that, it's demeaning your very good thread.

Just to let you know who supports this in Scotland, and who is against.

For Assisted Dying;

George Adam (Paisley) (SNP)

Jayne Baxter (Mid Scotland and Fife) (Lab)

Claudia Beamish(South Scotland) (Lab)

Colin Beattie (Midlothian North and Musselburgh) (SNP)

Marco Biagi (Edinburgh Central) (SNP)

Roderick Campbell (North East Fife) (SNP)

Jackson Carlaw (West Scotland) (Con)

Graeme Dey (Angus South) (SNP)

James Dornan(Glasgow Cathcart) (SNP)

Jim Eadie (Edinburgh Southern) (SNP)

Mary Fee (West Scotland) (Lab)

John Finnie (Highlands and Islands) (Ind)

Joe FitzPatrick (Dundee City West) (SNP)

Kenneth Gibson (Cunninghame North) (SNP)

Rob Gibson (Caithness, Sutherland and Ross) (SNP)

Christine Grahame (Midlothian South, Tdale and Lauderdale) (SNP)

Patrick Harvie (Glasgow) (Green)

Cara Hilton (Dunfermline) (Lab)

Jim Hume (South Scotland) (LD)

Alison Johnstone (Lothian) (Green)

Colin Keir (Edinburgh Western) (SNP)

Bill Kidd (Glasgow Anniesland) (SNP)

Richard Lochhead (Moray) (SNP)

Angus MacDonald (Falkirk East) (SNP)

Gordon MacDonald (Edinburgh Pentlands) (SNP)

Mike MacKenzie (Highlands and Islands) (SNP)

Stewart Maxwell(West Scotland) (SNP)

Liam McArthur (Orkney Islands) (LD)

Mark McDonald (Aberdeen Donside) (SNP)

Fiona McLeod (Strathkelvin and Bearsden) (SNP)

Elaine Murray (Dumfriesshire) (Lab)

Tavish Scott (Shetland Islands) (LD)

Kevin Stewart (Aberdeen Central) (SNP)

David Torrance (Kirkcaldy) (SNP)

Jean Urquhart (Highlands and Islands) (Ind)

John Wilson (Central Scotland) (Ind)

I was going to list all that voted against this too, but if your MSP is not on this list above, then he / she is against and voted against it.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Is death devolved?

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

It is about time it is so cruel to deny a person the dignity of choosing there death instead of suffering.

I am 100% in favour,we do not keep animals alive to suffer why allow humans to suffer

By *ubiousOatcakeMan  over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

"Is death devolved? "
Health is, so yes.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"Is death devolved? Health is, so yes."

Isn't death kind of the opposite of health?

By *ubiousOatcakeMan  over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

If you’re joking, sorry I missed it.

If you’re serious, you’re better than that.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

The choice should be available to those who feel that their quality of life is reduced due to ill health.

The human rights act enshrines the right not to be subject to cruel and unusual punishment.

Logically, if a person were to suffer, keeping themselves alive when there is no chance of recovery. Would’nt that be cruel or unusual punishment?

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

I'd find it very difficult to argue against it. It is a kindness. It often seems to be far easier to support acts of cruelty or meanness.

The most serious issue is having the safe guards in place to verify that no one takes this path under duress. Not at all straightforward.

"The choice should be available to those who feel that their quality of life is reduced due to ill health.

The human rights act enshrines the right not to be subject to cruel and unusual punishment.

Logically, if a person were to suffer, keeping themselves alive when there is no chance of recovery. Would’nt that be cruel or unusual punishment?"

That's a difficult thing to determine, I have watched my brother pass away from cancer, and 6 days of palliative care / nil by mouth whilst on a morphine drip, letting the morphine shut down his organs, He was a strong muscular lead fire fighter and to see him in this way was heart breaking,

at the same time my Mother is 95, she had 92 great years of life until dementia set in over the past 3 years to the point she is now in a home, I could not make a choice for either but I can for myself and I will continue to support campaign for "dignity in Dying" so that those who suffer horrendous pain and chose to die can do so with dignity.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I see no problem with allowing it. If someone wants to die, with a serious medical condition, let them.

Safeguards should be in place to stop spur of the moment choices.

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

If your quality of life is affected or you are in constant pain you should be allowed to die on your terms.We would not let a cat or dog suffer in pain so why should we let a human being let the person make their decision and if they can't then the real problem starts as it should be a family decision and no doubts there will be disagreements.

» Add a new message to this topic