FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > One less RN ship on the Clyde

One less RN ship on the Clyde

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *LCC OP   Couple  over a year ago

Cambridge

There is now one less ship being built on the Clyde for the RN. The Royal Navy have just taken delivery of HMS Forth, so we can no longer say it's "being" built, as they have now finished it!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eedsandyMan  over a year ago

Leeds

It will be back 50 times over the next 2 years to fix it though, like all the other new ships, so they will still be building it for a while yet!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"It will be back 50 times over the next 2 years to fix it though, like all the other new ships, so they will still be building it for a while yet!"

Maybe it's done deliberately to keep people in work?

If it's back so many times maybe they need to build them elsewhere that they may be built correctly

Leeds

The question is where!

"The question is where!"

South Korea is doing well in the ship building and oilrig fabrication industry

Leeds

It's just that you wouldn't want that phone call

"Gavin Williamson, Defence Secretary..."

"Ah Mr Williamson! Mr Hing Wong here, production manager at Hyundai Warships department."

Wong: "About your order, there will be a bit of a delay, the ship got damaged in production..."

Williamson: "Damaged?"

Wong: "Yes Mr Williamson, by a nuclear test weapon from our neighbours...."

Williamson: "Did it stand up well?"

Wong: "Not really! You did say Mr Hammond wanted the cheapest ship possible....."

By *aul DeUther-OneMan  over a year ago

Seaside Sussex

"The question is where!

South Korea is doing well in the ship building and oilrig fabrication industry"

ooops,- there are a few people in the RFA who might well disagree with you on that one.

By *rallvalCouple  over a year ago

Dunfermline

"If it's back so many times maybe they need to build them elsewhere that they may be built correctly "

It would not matter the issue is not the builder but the ever shifting requirements and mandated suppliers who need the work.

I have spent my career working on government contracts that keep changing right up to and beyond delivery.

Leeds

Well I don't think the government ordered an aircraft carrier that let in 200 gallons of seawater an hour on purpose.

It leaks because it was badly built!

Dunfermline

"Well I don't think the government ordered an aircraft carrier that let in 200 gallons of seawater an hour on purpose.

It leaks because it was badly built!"

No it leaks because despite it being standard practice to operate the gland flush while alongside to keep the shaft/shaft seal interface clean in dirty water it was switched off.

This resulted in an ingress of silty water into the seal/shaft interface which caused damage to the seal. This was a standard shaft seal used on large vessels across the planet so no design problem, it was just used wrongly.

Replacing the seal is not a huge issue as it is designed to be replaced due to wear anyway. However the newspapers needed a disaster story hence the inflated 200 gallons story which the pumps in the seal compartment could cope with easily. Wear and leaks are expected and designed for. It is also designed to handle a catastrophic seal fail with a back up seal, most ships are designed to handle seal failures.

"Well I don't think the government ordered an aircraft carrier that let in 200 gallons of seawater an hour on purpose.

No it leaks because despite it being standard practice to operate the gland flush while alongside to keep the shaft/shaft seal interface clean in dirty water it was switched off.

This resulted in an ingress of silty water into the seal/shaft interface which caused damage to the seal. This was a standard shaft seal used on large vessels across the planet so no design problem, it was just used wrongly.

Replacing the seal is not a huge issue as it is designed to be replaced due to wear anyway. However the newspapers needed a disaster story hence the inflated 200 gallons story which the pumps in the seal compartment could cope with easily. Wear and leaks are expected and designed for. It is also designed to handle a catastrophic seal fail with a back up seal, most ships are designed to handle seal failures."

ahhhh the days of re-packing glands, what a sweet memory

Dunfermline

"

ahhhh the days of re-packing glands, what a sweet memory"

You have a very odd definition of a sweet memory.

Manky job in a pokey cramped and usually cold damp compartment.

Unless you were in the tropics then it was a hot sweaty damp compartment. Aye right. Sweet memory indeed.

"

ahhhh the days of re-packing glands, what a sweet memory

You have a very odd definition of a sweet memory.

Manky job in a pokey cramped and usually cold damp compartment.

Unless you were in the tropics then it was a hot sweaty damp compartment. Aye right. Sweet memory indeed."

not on ships, we extracted and packed many a gland offshore on the oil rigs, as well as mechanical seals etc

now im retired, its good to look back on

By *whiteMan  over a year ago

SW London

"There is now one less ship being built on the Clyde for the RN. The Royal Navy have just taken delivery of HMS Forth, so we can no longer say it's "being" built, as they have now finished it! "

The ship is still sitting next to the yard. Look out at it from my flat everyday. Another 2 in the yard getting built.

"There is now one less ship being built on the Clyde for the RN. The Royal Navy have just taken delivery of HMS Forth, so we can no longer say it's "being" built, as they have now finished it!

The ship is still sitting next to the yard. Look out at it from my flat everyday. Another 2 in the yard getting built. "

shame they closed the shooting range to non military there

Dunfermline

"

not on ships, we extracted and packed many a gland offshore on the oil rigs, as well as mechanical seals etc

now im retired, its good to look back on"

Ah. My background is naval architecture so I have no idea of sitting repacking a rig seal but I'm guessing it would still be messy.

Even modern synthetic rubber seals with fresh water flush and lube systems it is still manky so stuffing boxes and greasy rope/fabric must have been hellish in the north Atlantic.

Still, as I recall from my youth grease packing stuffing boxes did leave your hands lovely and soft.

Dunfermline

"There is now one less ship being built on the Clyde for the RN. The Royal Navy have just taken delivery of HMS Forth, so we can no longer say it's "being" built, as they have now finished it!

The ship is still sitting next to the yard. Look out at it from my flat everyday. Another 2 in the yard getting built. "

You must have good eyesight because it is alongside in Portsmouth.

Forth left Glasgow on 21 Feb and arrived in Portsmouth on the 26th. You may be looking at Trent? That rolled out last week.

Replacing the seal is not a huge issue as it is designed to be replaced due to wear anyway. However the newspapers needed a disaster story hence the inflated 200 gallons story which the pumps in the seal compartment could cope with easily. Wear and leaks are expected and designed for. It is also designed to handle a catastrophic seal fail with a back up seal, most ships are designed to handle seal failures."

So it was just another navel cock up then?

Leeds

Pierced navel, I think!

Dunfermline

"

So it was just another navel cock up then?"

There was a cock up but as to who was to blame that is a different issue.

Navy, accident, failed equipment, training, design fault. The investigation will find out.

Dunfermline

"Pierced navel, I think!"

The hole would explain the leakage and the seal is basically a spare tyre so it all fits.

» Add a new message to this topic