FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Data request

Data request

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Well we've all seen the news about data from a social media site beginning with F being bought and used by political parties and factions. So I decided to download my data held by the site in question to see what they might be getting. And woah! What an eye opener. They hold more info than my brain does, stuff long forgotten or deleted is all there for the taking. I think many of us don't really pay attention when we go to use an app and it requests permission to access our contacts etc. But seeing it all there definitely brought it home to me... anyone else requested a download of their data?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

And this is now a 21st Century problem, where data is a powerful currency.

That data belongs to someone, just who though? Do we need a mindset change, or even legislation? Would that even work?

"And this is now a 21st Century problem, where data is a powerful currency.

That data belongs to someone, just who though? Do we need a mindset change, or even legislation? Would that even work?"

I guess it's my data but I blindly gave the site in question permission to use it. I consider myself quite intelligent but never really gave much consideration to that. People warning about letting them have my data sounded to be in the realms of conspiracy theory. And if them having my data meant I got targeted ads, where was the harm in that? Naiive I know. Until now and we are faced with how all that data has allegedly been used, the impact it can have on national politics. I note the F site say selling data is how they provide a free service. I also note they don't offer a paid service for those not wanting their data used. Not sure about legislation though I think it will surely come on the back of recent events. But yes a shift in mindset, an education on how our data is actually used, and by whom, seems to be necessary. To find the SNP have pioneered use of big data in political campaigning does not surprise me though... big brother is most definitely watching

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

At least 26 police forces in England and Wales have begun using new technology to extract data from phones.

And Privacy International said there had been no public debate about the rapid rollout of this practice.

But one former chief constable said obtaining a warrant in each instance would be "just not practical".

Privacy International obtained the figures through Freedom of Information requests to 47 forces, of which 42 responded.

It told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme that most people were unaware of their rights.

And it is calling for an immediate review of current practice and a public-awareness campaign.

The technology allows officers to extract location data, conversations on encrypted apps, call logs, emails, text messages, passwords, internet searches and more.

It can be used on suspects, victims and witnesses.

It also downloads deleted data, including messages sent to the phone by other people.

It has been trialled in Scotland. It is not being used in Northern Ireland

Its time for a political party to take this up in a big way as I think when we realise how I lives are being intruded a lot of people will support privacy legislation to stop both state and commercial use of our lives without due process.

ok so may sound dumb, but how does one download their data ??

Fuck bookface as Banksy said "Do you guys not realise Invisibility is superpower."

"Fuck bookface as Banksy said "Do you guys not realise Invisibility is superpower.""

Who's Banksy ????????????????

Actually did a bit of homework and managed to get it sorted

"Fuck bookface as Banksy said "Do you guys not realise Invisibility is superpower."

Who's Banksy ????????????????"

Exactly.....

Are there really people here who don’t know who Banksy is?

"Actually did a bit of homework and managed to get it sorted"

"At least 26 police forces in England and Wales have begun using new technology to extract data from phones.

And Privacy International said there had been no public debate about the rapid rollout of this practice.

But one former chief constable said obtaining a warrant in each instance would be "just not practical".

Privacy International obtained the figures through Freedom of Information requests to 47 forces, of which 42 responded.

It told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme that most people were unaware of their rights.

And it is calling for an immediate review of current practice and a public-awareness campaign.

The technology allows officers to extract location data, conversations on encrypted apps, call logs, emails, text messages, passwords, internet searches and more.

It can be used on suspects, victims and witnesses.

It also downloads deleted data, including messages sent to the phone by other people.

It has been trialled in Scotland. It is not being used in Northern Ireland

"

That is quite scary, I imagined police would have access to that kind of technology but I assumed warrants would be necessary. I admit I used to be of the mindset "if you have nothing to hide why worry" but that has changed for me recently. Except maybe when tracking terrorists. But that raises a whole new debate, should we be happy to give up some of our civil liberties to aid the fight against terror? Or is that just handing the terrorists what they wanted? But I digress. The thought of the police having a nosy through my phone anytime they feel they have reason to is not a nice thought

» Add a new message to this topic