FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Return of deposit scheme

Return of deposit scheme

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The 1950's are returning! !!

We are going to re-introduce the old deposit charge on bottles albeit plastic this time.

It begs the question why did we scrap it, and why didn't we introduce it on plastic years ago? Norway has shown us the way!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 28/03/18 07:39:20]

"The 1950's are returning! !!

We are going to re-introduce the old deposit charge on bottles albeit plastic this time.

It begs the question why did we scrap it, and why didn't we introduce it on plastic years ago? Norway has shown us the way!"

Yes, saw that on the news this morning at the moment "For England"

Apparently, reported on Sky News, BBC and ITV all saying the river Thames is absolutely minging, polluted, filthy and filled with plastic

You really need to educate the Englanders of this Country to try and look after the planet, your streets, rivers and countryside are filthy, you should hold your heads in shame

shame on you,

Shame I say

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

It begs the question why did we scrap it, and why didn't we introduce it on plastic years ago? Norway has shown us the way!"

Germany have done this for years.

25c on plastic bottles and 7c on glass beer bottles but excluding wine and spirits.

It begs the question why did we scrap it, and why didn't we introduce it on plastic years ago? Norway has shown us the way!

Germany have done this for years.

25c on plastic bottles and 7c on glass beer bottles but excluding wine and spirits. "

Yes I remember taking bottles back - Germans are very social lol, and getting a few DM's a nice bit of extra cash!

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Happens in Australia and Canada as well.

74% of plastic bottles are recycled in the UK, so this could be more of a mindset thing, along the lines of single use plastic bags.

"Happens in Australia and Canada as well.

74% of plastic bottles are recycled in the UK, so this could be more of a mindset thing, along the lines of single use plastic bags."

You should already be doing this, ensuring you recycle and all litter in proper bins, you need to educate the children of England too.

Litter does not pick up itself.

Hang your heads in shame.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"74% of plastic bottles are recycled in the UK,"

According to who?

Grantham

"74% of plastic bottles are recycled in the UK,

According to who?"

Some analyst being interviewed on the BBC Business Briefing at 5.45 this morning.

He may have been a tad optimistic on that figure though. Latest figures that I can see give it at nearer 60%.

moston

"Some analyst being interviewed on the BBC Business Briefing at 5.45 this morning.

He may have been a tad optimistic on that figure though. Latest figures that I can see give it at nearer 60%."

I have to be honest and say I find a figure of 60% optimistic or more like wishful thinking to say the least. But would hope that it was correct. Fact is the only way I could see to make any sort of claim would be based on total tonnage and considering how much finished products are imported into this country in plastic containers I think having an accurate starting figure is virtually impossible.

a wee link; (Evening Standard)

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/shocking-photos-expose-the-scale-of-plastic-waste-pollution-in-londons-river-thames-a3738046.html

some nice pics (not).

moston

"a wee link; (Evening Standard)

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/shocking-photos-expose-the-scale-of-plastic-waste-pollution-in-londons-river-thames-a3738046.html

some nice pics (not)."

When it comes to fresh waterborne and seaborne plastics it is not stuff like that shown in those photos that are the biggest problem, it is micro plastics like the microbeads in exfoliants and cleansing products that are now in the food-chain that pose the biggest threat to the environment and public health worldwide.

We used to get 10p back for every used glass bottle of pop we took back to our local shop when I was a kid

Grantham

"We used to get 10p back for every used glass bottle of pop we took back to our local shop when I was a kid "

I can remember getting 2d back! Good little earner for us kids.

Then Health and Safety etc got involved and you can't now reuse glass bottles.

"We used to get 10p back for every used glass bottle of pop we took back to our local shop when I was a kid

Then Health and Safety etc got involved and you can't now reuse glass bottles. "

Didn't know that, but It does not suprise me

Grantham

"We used to get 10p back for every used glass bottle of pop we took back to our local shop when I was a kid

Didn't know that, but It does not suprise me "

But then plastic bottles were always going to replace them. Cheaper and no messing about with re-using.

Go to Asia and people make a living out of collecting plastic bottle ect and selling them back.

Kids here just cannot be bother with all of the pennies

Likewise when I was a kid I used to find any old glass bottles and take them to the neared off-licence and make enough for pocket money

Saved my dad from having to shell money out to me

74% of plastic bottles are recycled in the UK, so this could be more of a mindset thing, along the lines of single use plastic bags."

I wouldn't believe that figure.

They have a habit of telling you either blatant lies or just being frugal with the wording

How is this going to work with household recycle bins that we now throw plastic bottles in.Will the councils offer plastic bottle bins.Or do we have to take them some place to get a refund.

Take them back to the shop where you bought them from I think

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Then Health and Safety etc got involved and you can't now reuse glass bottles. "

You can reuse glass, it's probably more about cost than any health and safety..

Lady on 5 live who works in the family dairy which has been in business since the 30s said they reuse milk and juice bottles about 35 times then they are recycled to make new ones..

Grantham

"How is this going to work with household recycle bins that we now throw plastic bottles in.Will the councils offer plastic bottle bins.Or do we have to take them some place to get a refund."

Norway have smart machines. Put them in the machine, it reads the barcode and then crushes it. You then get a printed ticket for the refund.

moston

"

Nothing to do with health & safety, but everything to do with profits.

in Lancashire

"

Nothing to do with health & safety, but everything to do with profits."

This..

Before plastic we only ever used glass for milk and they were reused without any health and safety concerns..

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"How is this going to work with household recycle bins that we now throw plastic bottles in.Will the councils offer plastic bottle bins.Or do we have to take them some place to get a refund."
probably have to take them somewhere bob be lines of traffic waiting with the engines running be great for the air pollution tho

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

74% of plastic bottles are recycled in the UK, so this could be more of a mindset thing, along the lines of single use plastic bags.

You should already be doing this, ensuring you recycle and all litter in proper bins, you need to educate the children of England too.

Hang your heads in shame."

Toxic plastic pollution is 'destroying' Scotland's beaches, lochs and rivers ...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk › ...

in Lancashire

Hang your heads in shame.

Toxic plastic pollution is 'destroying' Scotland's beaches, lochs and rivers ...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk › ...

"

He will ignore it and would rather shout at clouds..

The big question is why has it taken so long? Most of Europe have had these systems in place for years, why are we always behind?

Grantham

"

This..

Before plastic we only ever used glass for milk and they were reused without any health and safety concerns.. "

Milk isn't carbonated. The empties are collected by the same dairy.

"

This..

Before plastic we only ever used glass for milk and they were reused without any health and safety concerns..

Milk isn't carbonated. The empties are collected by the same dairy."

My milkman delivers milk in plastic.Do they still do glass milk bottles.

Costa Blanca Spain...

In Germany most supermarkets have a crusher (for want of a better word) machine and all deposit paid plastic bottles have a small recycling symbol.

You just pop the bottles in, the laser reads the little symbol and your money racks up.

When you have finished you press a button and the machine gives you a ticket for your total which you can either spend in the supermarket or redeem for cash.

Simples.

"The big question is why has it taken so long? Most of Europe have had these systems in place for years, why are we always behind? "

Because the green party is more of a force in other parts of europe

Costa Blanca Spain...

Glass beer bottles are nearly all re-used in Germany, although not wine and spirit bottles.

A few years ago we visited the Jever brewery in the north of Germany.

They had a very high tech bottling plant that de-labelled, sterilised, and refilled in one run.

Also not all the bottles were originally from Jever. We saw many different labels going in but, needless to say, only Jever coming out.

Great beer as well BTW.

Costa Blanca Spain...

"The big question is why has it taken so long? Most of Europe have had these systems in place for years, why are we always behind? "

I'm not sure about "most". I'm pretty sure not in France, although if I've got that one wrong you will correct me and make me seethe about all the lost deposits over the years.

Certainly not in Spain and, at least up to a few months ago, not in Holland. although something sticks in my mind that I was told that the Dutch were about to.

Costa Blanca Spain...

I would just add to the above posts that in Germany you very rarely see a bottle that has been discarded, and on the very rare occasion that we do then Mrs H will pick it up. She calls it "free money"

In Spain plastic bottles are dumped everywhere. Of all our travels the Spanish are the ultimate litter louts.

The vast majority of plastic bottles cannot be recycled back into bottles, it's the wrong plastic, they also come in a rather large different amounts of types, they cannot be mixed, if you get a few types of the wrong plastic in with the bundle the whole thing is thrown away (despite being claimed as recycled).

Tops and bottles are incompatible, packaging is completely different again.

Plastic needs to be binned and I don't mean put in a bin.

Let me be clear, nobody knows what the outcomes of this plastic shite turning up everywhere from your drinking water to your fish will be, little long term research is ever done, it's a giant experiment and we're all the guinea pigs

We need biodegradable plastic bottles i think.

moston

"We need biodegradable plastic bottles i think. "

Fuck NO!

I would have expected better from you Bob.

We need a return to thick clear, green and brown glass that will survive a bit of rough treatment and is easily recyclable if damaged, with metal or ceramic tops that can also be reused and recycled if damaged.

We need to be reducing and stopping our use of plastics not looking to develop new plastics to reduce the damage plastics are doing.

"The big question is why has it taken so long? Most of Europe have had these systems in place for years, why are we always behind?

I'm not sure about "most". I'm pretty sure not in France, although if I've got that one wrong you will correct me and make me seethe about all the lost deposits over the years.

Certainly not in Spain and, at least up to a few months ago, not in Holland. although something sticks in my mind that I was told that the Dutch were about to."

Northern European countries are the recycling kings - and yes all bottles in France are 25cents deposit (only joking).

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

When I was a kid I used to go round collecting bottles,take them to the corner shop and get 3 old pence back,money for sweets.

My parents used to encourage me to do this as to them it was me learning that you work for money.

It is a very good idea should never have been scrapped.I bet the kids today will be to lazy to do this anyway oh and I do mean British kids as they are ruined today

Costa Blanca Spain...

"The big question is why has it taken so long? Most of Europe have had these systems in place for years, why are we always behind?

Certainly not in Spain and, at least up to a few months ago, not in Holland. although something sticks in my mind that I was told that the Dutch were about to.

Northern European countries are the recycling kings - and yes all bottles in France are 25cents deposit (only joking)."

Phew! You had me worried for a moment.

moston

"When I was a kid I used to go round collecting bottles,take them to the corner shop and get 3 old pence back,money for sweets.

My parents used to encourage me to do this as to them it was me learning that you work for money.

It is a very good idea should never have been scrapped.I bet the kids today will be to lazy to do this anyway oh and I do mean British kids as they are ruined today"

Yep, so much better a system.

If reintroduced the amount of broken glass that covers so much of our towns and cities would disappear virtually overnight.

"We need biodegradable plastic bottles i think.

Fuck NO!

We need a return to thick clear, green and brown glass that will survive a bit of rough treatment and is easily recyclable if damaged, with metal or ceramic tops that can also be reused and recycled if damaged.

We need to be reducing and stopping our use of plastics not looking to develop new plastics to reduce the damage plastics are doing. "

bobsters, you know when you've been tangoed.

But in a glass or a tin not a plastic bottle

Englanders; this is what happens when you don't look after your country and just throw out your litter onto streets and countryside

you should put your litter in designated bins.

Fuck NO!

We need to be reducing and stopping our use of plastics not looking to develop new plastics to reduce the damage plastics are doing. bobsters, you know when you've been tangoed.

But in a glass or a tin not a plastic bottle "

Dave most of these cunts have never voted green in their lives.Theyre all labour or Tory and neither gives a fuck about the environment. The population couldn't care less about the environment or recycling.Give them something thats biodegradable.Its more important to mitigate the pollution by assuming people wont recycle.Than by assuming everyone Cares.They don't.

moston

"Dave most of these cunts have never voted green in their lives.Theyre all labour or Tory and neither gives a fuck about the environment. The population couldn't care less about the environment or recycling.Give them something thats biodegradable.Its more important to mitigate the pollution by assuming people wont recycle.Than by assuming everyone Cares.They don't. "

I got news for you Bob, I joined Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth on my 18th birthday in 1974. I am not a member of the Green party and do not vote green because at present the best use of my vote is to support Labour and the place where my voice has most chance to actually make a difference is within the Labour party.

I know that many will find my position hard to understand but it is called 'enlightened self interest'. If there is a C change in UK politics and the Greens become more than a pressure group or political enablers (like the LibDems) then I will change the party I am a member of, till then I will stay an active member of the Labour party.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

"The vast majority of plastic bottles cannot be recycled back into bottles, it's the wrong plastic, they also come in a rather large different amounts of types, they cannot be mixed, if you get a few types of the wrong plastic in with the bundle the whole thing is thrown away (despite being claimed as recycled).

"

Steady there Doors steady, talking out yer arse again

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"Go to Asia and people make a living out of collecting plastic bottle ect and selling them back.

Kids here just cannot be bother with all of the pennies

Likewise when I was a kid I used to find any old glass bottles and take them to the neared off-licence and make enough for pocket money

Saved my dad from having to shell money out to me "

But in Asia, if you buy a drink on the street, it will come in a glass bottle, when you buy it they pour the contents into a small plastic bag, stick a straw in it, and keep the bottle themselves.

All those straws and plastic bags are bad for the environment, but a lot easier to hang from your handlebars!

Fuck NO!

We need to be reducing and stopping our use of plastics not looking to develop new plastics to reduce the damage plastics are doing. bobsters, you know when you've been tangoed.

But in a glass or a tin not a plastic bottle

Dave most of these cunts have never voted green in their lives.Theyre all labour or Tory and neither gives a fuck about the environment. The population couldn't care less about the environment or recycling.Give them something thats biodegradable.Its more important to mitigate the pollution by assuming people wont recycle.Than by assuming everyone Cares.They don't. "

Excuse me;

the SNP & Greens go hand in hand

And personally myself I do my share to look after the environment, any deer caught within forestry fence is shot, whether shooting season or not, if they attack our precious trees and strip the bark they are shot

come-on the trees

"The vast majority of plastic bottles cannot be recycled back into bottles, it's the wrong plastic, they also come in a rather large different amounts of types, they cannot be mixed, if you get a few types of the wrong plastic in with the bundle the whole thing is thrown away (despite being claimed as recycled).

Steady there Doors steady, talking out yer arse again "

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/21/only-a-third-of-uk-consumer-plastic-packaging-is-recycled#ampshare=https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/nov/21/only-a-third-of-uk-consumer-plastic-packaging-is-recycled.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/clarifications-corrections/551348/Scandal-as-280-000-tons-recycling-ends-up-as-landfill#ampshare=https://www.express.co.uk/news/clarifications-corrections/551348/Scandal-as-280-000-tons-recycling-ends-up-as-landfill.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

""The vast majority of plastic bottles cannot be recycled back into bottles"

Doh!

"it's the wrong

plastic"

Doh!

"they also come in a rather large different amounts of types"

Doh!

"they cannot be mixed, if you get a few types of the wrong plastic in with the bundle the whole thing is thrown away (despite being claimed as recycled)."

Doh!

" here have some links that don't contradict my nonsense but I was in a rush"

Doh!

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S002195170800211X

"Englanders; this is what happens when you don't look after your country and just throw out your litter onto streets and countryside

you should put your litter in designated bins."

Why The insulting Englanders quote?

It's suppoessed to be a civilised doscussion

"Englanders; this is what happens when you don't look after your country and just throw out your litter onto streets and countryside

It's suppoessed to be a civilised doscussion "

This is only for England, not introduced into Scotland, as we look after our lovely countryside

in Lancashire

It's suppoessed to be a civilised doscussion "

He's a troll, simple as that..

» Add a new message to this topic