FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Voting age

Voting age

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Can anybody tell me why its a good idea to lower to voting age from 18 to 16? To me it'll just be an extra vote for the teens parents and I also think they're morn likely to vote for extremes. I think if 16 yr old Irish kids were allowed to vote Sinn Fein would be running the country because they're highly popular amongst young people or atleast they were when I was growing up. Plus 18 is young enough.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ustJ0dieTV/TS  over a year ago

Burton on Trent

"Can anybody tell me why its a good idea to lower to voting age from 18 to 16? To me it'll just be an extra vote for the teens parents and I also think they're morn likely to vote for extremes. I think if 16 yr old Irish kids were allowed to vote Sinn Fein would be running the country because they're highly popular amongst young people or atleast they were when I was growing up. Plus 18 is young enough. "

If you're old enough to join the armed services you should be able to vote.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

I believe voting is to young as is fighting for your country,I would like to see both go to 21,as these guys would be more mature in there decisions.

The voting age should not be lowerd in my view and hope it never is.

"Can anybody tell me why its a good idea to lower to voting age from 18 to 16? To me it'll just be an extra vote for the teens parents and I also think they're morn likely to vote for extremes. I think if 16 yr old Irish kids were allowed to vote Sinn Fein would be running the country because they're highly popular amongst young people or atleast they were when I was growing up. Plus 18 is young enough.

If you're old enough to join the armed services you should be able to vote. "

The armed services minimum age in Ireland is 18.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

You cannot join the armed services under 18 without parental consent.

"You cannot join the armed services under 18 without parental consent."

I honestly think a vote for a 16yr old is just gunna be an extra vote for their parents politics. They'll either vote for what their parents tell them or vote for what the media is portraying as cool.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You pay tax you should be able vote.You can carry a weapon you vote.You can get your girlfriend up the duff you can vote.

Any age is a line in the sand.

I’d be in favour of dropping it to 16 if it is supported by some kind of support in school which covers fact checking, critical analysis, awareness of cognitive biases and echo chambers etc.

"Any age is a line in the sand.

I’d be in favour of dropping it to 16 if it is supported by some kind of support in school which covers fact checking, critical analysis, awareness of cognitive biases and echo chambers etc. "

Yes there is a great cognitive bias Codex you can google.Id post a link but m I'm fed up of getting time outs by overzealous moderators..

I’d be in favour of dropping it to 16 if it is supported by some kind of support in school which covers fact checking, critical analysis, awareness of cognitive biases and echo chambers etc.

Yes there is a great cognitive bias Codex you can google.Id post a link but m I'm fed up of getting time outs by overzealous moderators.. "

googled

Derby

Are you saying if you don't pay tax you shouldn't be allowed to vote?

You can't join the army without parental comsent at 16.

You can't fight on the front line until you are 18.

You can't get married (except in Scotland) without parental consent at 16

You can't buy a knife at 16

You can't buy cigarettes at 16

You can't serve time in an adult prison at 16

You can't drive a car at 16

You can't buy alcohol at 16

You can't become a policeman/woman, firefighter, or paramedic at 16

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

Minimum age for buying alcohol is 18, in some bars/nightclubs they restrict it to 21. For good reason 16 year olds are not responsible adults. The voting age should be left as it is at 18.

By *uietbloke67Man  over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

16 year olds vote in the Scottish elections, great idea they bring youth and enthusiasm to the debate. Most 16 year olds have their own thoughts, views and concerns. If you don't bring them Into the debate you lose youthful ideas and creative knowledge.

By *heislanderMan  over a year ago

cheshunt

"16 year olds vote in the Scottish elections, great idea they bring youth and enthusiasm to the debate. Most 16 year olds have their own thoughts, views and concerns. If you don't bring them Into the debate you lose youthful ideas and creative knowledge."

I think it should be 18-20. Any 16yr old thinking of going to university will vote Labour cause they believe Jeremy will abolish uni fees. Wisdom comes with age, can any of you on here say truthfully that you made better judgements at 16 ??

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"If you're old enough to join the armed services you should be able to vote. "

You are not!

You can join the junior forces at 16, but they are legally excluded from active service and may leave the forces at any time until their 18th birthday...

You can join the regular Armed Forces at 17 1/2 but have to then go through training, so no person under the age of 18 goes on active service.

The idea that if you can serve in the forces you should be able to vote is in reality the reason the voting age was reduced from 21 to 18, as at 18 you can be required to risk your life and maybe die in armed conflict by the country, as this is not the case for 16 and 17 year olds your argument is founded in fallacy.

Burton on Trent

"If you're old enough to join the armed services you should be able to vote.

You are not!

You can join the junior forces at 16, but they are legally excluded from active service and may leave the forces at any time until their 18th birthday...

You can join the regular Armed Forces at 17 1/2 but have to then go through training, so no person under the age of 18 goes on active service.

The idea that if you can serve in the forces you should be able to vote is in reality the reason the voting age was reduced from 21 to 18, as at 18 you can be required to risk your life and maybe die in armed conflict by the country, as this is not the case for 16 and 17 year olds your argument is founded in fallacy.

"

I joined 3 weeks before my 17th birthday. I handled my first automatic weapon before I was 17. I was serving my country, and potentially in harm's way, wether active service or not. To illustrate that, it was around the same time as some army recruits were killed by PIRA at Lichfield railway station.

Why shouldn't anyone in that position, or who has the potential by dint of their age to be in that position, vote.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"I joined 3 weeks before my 17th birthday. I handled my first automatic weapon before I was 17. I was serving my country, and potentially in harm's way, wether active service or not. To illustrate that, it was around the same time as some army recruits were killed by PIRA at Lichfield railway station.

Why shouldn't anyone in that position, or who has the potential by dint of their age to be in that position, vote. "

On that basis 9 year olds should get the vote, after all one of them was blown up in Warrington by PIRA...

Just to be clear being handed a weapon in the safe controlled environment of a weapons handling class, a range or even on an exercise (where you get blank rounds) is not the same as being issued your weapon and ammo and told go kill the enemy (who are trying to kill you). If you have been in battle you will know this, and it is wrong to pretend that the two are in any way similar.

Derby

"If you're old enough to join the armed services you should be able to vote.

You are not!

I joined 3 weeks before my 17th birthday. I handled my first automatic weapon before I was 17. I was serving my country, and potentially in harm's way, wether active service or not. To illustrate that, it was around the same time as some army recruits were killed by PIRA at Lichfield railway station.

Why shouldn't anyone in that position, or who has the potential by dint of their age to be in that position, vote. "

When you joined, you would have had to have your parents' consent.

Do you think you should be able to vote at 16, but only if your parents say you can?

You were potentially 'in harm's way'? What a drama queen.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think voting for 16 plus is good, as they have more of their future lives at stake than us older people, which politicians will affect.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Analysis of the Scottish referendum, which included 16-17-year-olds, showed there was very little difference in the voting patterns.

The rules are a mass.

At 16, society says you are old enough to have sex and children, get married, join the Army, pay tax. But not old enough to put an X on a ballot paper.

Thomson and Veneables were 11 years old or so when they were tried in an adult court on murder charges. They were deemed old enough to understand the responsibility of their actions.

If the state thinks someone of the age of 11 is old enough to understand what they are doing, then it is hypocritical to argue you are not old enough at 16 to know what you are doing with a ballot paper.

Yes there is a great cognitive bias Codex you can google.Id post a link but m I'm fed up of getting time outs by overzealous moderators.. googled "

I was thinking a confirmation bias codex app would be very useful for young people and adults.

Derby

"Analysis of the Scottish referendum, which included 16-17-year-olds, showed there was very little difference in the voting patterns.

The rules are a mass.

At 16, society says you are old enough to have sex and children, get married, join the Army, pay tax. But not old enough to put an X on a ballot paper.

Thomson and Veneables were 11 years old or so when they were tried in an adult court on murder charges. They were deemed old enough to understand the responsibility of their actions.

If the state thinks someone of the age of 11 is old enough to understand what they are doing, then it is hypocritical to argue you are not old enough at 16 to know what you are doing with a ballot paper.

"

So you think the state should give 11 year olds the vote as well?

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

The new legal age for betting on the lottery goes up to 18 so why should voting come down to 16 .leave it as it is .

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

From what I can see, the only EU Country with a voting age of 16 is Austria.

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

And wearing khaki every day??? What's all that about? What's wrong with a splash of colour?

Burton on Trent

"And wearing khaki every day??? What's all that about? What's wrong with a splash of colour?"

That's why I left. The fashions were soooo unflattering.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

"

So you think the state should give 11 year olds the vote as well?"

I said no such thing. I only compared the treatment of two 11-year-olds as adults in one context, and the denial of 16-year-olds as adults in a different context.

Bolton

"And wearing khaki every day??? What's all that about? What's wrong with a splash of colour?

That's why I left. The fashions were soooo unflattering. "

Bryan Ferry tried his best to make it fashionable...I think he was ahead of his time. But he wasn't wearing the stuff we had. I remember my beret was about the size of a small helicopter landing pad. He also had the Ruperts trick of sewn creases on his trousers! At least the army taught me how to iron better than my mum!

going by the election results since 2010 and the utter fucking mess the cunts who were voted for have gotten the country into, then the 16-18 year olds can't possibly do any worse with their ballot papers than the clowns who have voted for this catastrophic disaster we are in now .... give 'em the fucking vote for fucks sake!

I totally agree that most

16 year olds have a better grasp of politics and the world we live in than many adults .How many oaps are completely oblivious to the challenges of today and some of them couldn't tell you what day of the week it is.

"16 year olds vote in the Scottish elections, great idea they bring youth and enthusiasm to the debate. Most 16 year olds have their own thoughts, views and concerns. If you don't bring them Into the debate you lose youthful ideas and creative knowledge.

I think it should be 18-20. Any 16yr old thinking of going to university will vote Labour cause they believe Jeremy will abolish uni fees. Wisdom comes with age, can any of you on here say truthfully that you made better judgements at 16 ?? "

Wisdom comes with age ...seriously....speechless lol.

I made some brilliant judgements at 16. As for your statement on they woukd Labour. Well in this country we see educating our young as a gift we can pass on not a service for the wealthy few.

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple  over a year ago

Dudley

"I totally agree that most

16 year olds have a better grasp of politics and the world we live in than many adults .How many oaps are completely oblivious to the challenges of today and some of them couldn't tell you what day of the week it is. "

Having worked in further education I would totally disagree with that statement, most are interested in the opposite sex and playing with their phones!

16 year olds have a better grasp of politics and the world we live in than many adults .How many oaps are completely oblivious to the challenges of today and some of them couldn't tell you what day of the week it is.

Having worked in further education I would totally disagree with that statement, most are interested in the opposite sex and playing with their phones! "

tbf this applies to more than just 16yo

From iPhone. While in fab.

Dudley

Having worked in further education I would totally disagree with that statement, most are interested in the opposite sex and playing with their phones! tbf this applies to more than just 16yo

From iPhone. While in fab. "

Not during lesson times though was it! The average 16 year old can't leave their phone alone for a few minutes which doesn't make life easy!

Derby

Having worked in further education I would totally disagree with that statement, most are interested in the opposite sex and playing with their phones! tbf this applies to more than just 16yo

From iPhone. While in fab.

Not during lesson times though was it! The average 16 year old can't leave their phone alone for a few minutes which doesn't make life easy! "

We've got two children who are secondary school teachers. Both left leaning (as teachers tend to be).

In their careers they have had a combined total of about 30,000 11-18 year olds go through the schools that they have taught in.

They are both of the opinion that 16 and 17 year olds should not have the vote.

Having worked in further education I would totally disagree with that statement, most are interested in the opposite sex and playing with their phones! "

Having a teenage daughter who is as sharp as a pin regarding current affairs.I find many kids well balanced and informed and often idealist and rational.

Derby

Having worked in further education I would totally disagree with that statement, most are interested in the opposite sex and playing with their phones!

Having a teenage daughter who is as sharp as a pin regarding current affairs.I find many kids well balanced and informed and often idealist and rational."

I'd suggest direct experience of professional teachers of 30,000 teenagers across a broad spectrum of society, probably trumps your small experience of a dozen or so.

Maybe I'm wrong...I thought the larger the sample, the more accurate the results.

Dudley

Having a teenage daughter who is as sharp as a pin regarding current affairs.I find many kids well balanced and informed and often idealist and rational."

I would suggest you spend a week at a local FE college and you would soon change that opinion! The vast majority of 16 year olds have no interest in politics what so ever, evidently your daughter does but that is probably to do with your influence!

Having a teenage daughter who is as sharp as a pin regarding current affairs.I find many kids well balanced and informed and often idealist and rational.

I would suggest you spend a week at a local FE college and you would soon change that opinion! The vast majority of 16 year olds have no interest in politics what so ever, evidently your daughter does but that is probably to do with your influence! "

I would suggest that isn't the case and her school encourages debate.Spme of the homework relates to current affairs.I suggest that you maybe question the students on their knowledge rather than assume they are ignorant of current affairs.

Dudley

I would suggest you spend a week at a local FE college and you would soon change that opinion! The vast majority of 16 year olds have no interest in politics what so ever, evidently your daughter does but that is probably to do with your influence!

I would suggest that isn't the case and her school encourages debate.Spme of the homework relates to current affairs.I suggest that you maybe question the students on their knowledge rather than assume they are ignorant of current affairs. "

As usual Bob knows best!

My actual experience tells me otherwise and thats after many conversations! If the subject was about the latest games on playstation/xbox or the trendiest trainers it would be a different story!

Will the phone addicted yoofs vote ? Or just those engaged ?

I would suggest that isn't the case and her school encourages debate.Spme of the homework relates to current affairs.I suggest that you maybe question the students on their knowledge rather than assume they are ignorant of current affairs.

As usual Bob knows best!

My actual experience tells me otherwise and thats after many conversations! If the subject was about the latest games on playstation/xbox or the trendiest trainers it would be a different story! "

Actually you keep telling me you know best from what you assume.Im just telling you what ive seen in terms of homework and the school encourages debate on world affairs.Its an outstanding school.

"Will the phone addicted yoofs vote ? Or just those engaged ? "

Until you give them an opportunity we will never know.

"16 year olds vote in the Scottish elections, great idea they bring youth and enthusiasm to the debate. Most 16 year olds have their own thoughts, views and concerns. If you don't bring them Into the debate you lose youthful ideas and creative knowledge."

Also in the Indy ref many of the 16 year olds did investgate which way they should vote and gave many a politician a hard time on tv.

However there were 16 year olds voting one way because they thought they would not be able to see match of the day after separation and other 16 year olds voting the other way because the national football team was doing ok at the time and breavehart had been on the telly !!!

So some just like adults deserve the vote but some just like adults don t !!@

It's the general defining age for an adult.

"18

It's the general defining age for an adult."

Who said only adults make good decisions though

Dudley

As usual Bob knows best!

My actual experience tells me otherwise and thats after many conversations! If the subject was about the latest games on playstation/xbox or the trendiest trainers it would be a different story!

Actually you keep telling me you know best from what you assume.Im just telling you what ive seen in terms of homework and the school encourages debate on world affairs.Its an outstanding school. "

I am giving you my experience from working in an FE college, I am not assuming anything!Your experience from your childs homework is hardly a broad sample of 16 year olds is it and has I said before I am sure your strong views will have influenced them! I would say most young persons early political views will be influenced by their parents but I suppose you will disagree with that too!

As usual Bob knows best!

Actually you keep telling me you know best from what you assume.Im just telling you what ive seen in terms of homework and the school encourages debate on world affairs.Its an outstanding school.

I am giving you my experience from working in an FE college, I am not assuming anything!Your experience from your childs homework is hardly a broad sample of 16 year olds is it and has I said before I am sure your strong views will have influenced them! I would say most young persons early political views will be influenced by their parents but I suppose you will disagree with that too! "

I think children have a mind of their own and i hope your aware if you work in education(maybe your admin or something else).Teaching independent thinking is one of the core skills that secondary skills promote.It is in the secondary near me.

By *eedsandyMan  over a year ago

Leeds

But they hardly think independently do they at 16?

And even if they did, which they don't, they lack sufficient life experience to vote.

They cannot smoke, drive, drink, own a house at 16. They don't pay tax. They don't live independently. They are still at school.

Dudley

As usual Bob knows best!

I am giving you my experience from working in an FE college, I am not assuming anything!Your experience from your childs homework is hardly a broad sample of 16 year olds is it and has I said before I am sure your strong views will have influenced them! I would say most young persons early political views will be influenced by their parents but I suppose you will disagree with that too!

I think children have a mind of their own and i hope your aware if you work in education(maybe your admin or something else).Teaching independent thinking is one of the core skills that secondary skills promote.It is in the secondary near me."

You will find everyone has a mind of their own, but they are influenced by the people around them, that is what any good parent does to help their child become a well rounded adult! Surely as a parent you would know this, perhaps you are only part-time!Gaining life/work experience promotes confidence and independent thinking to choose your path in life, this is what any teacher/ lecturer (like myself, sorry to disappoint you if you thought I was sweeping up!! ) is trying to achieve for their students.

"18

It's the general defining age for an adult.

Who said only adults make good decisions though"

I never said that.....

As usual Bob knows best!

I think children have a mind of their own and i hope your aware if you work in education(maybe your admin or something else).Teaching independent thinking is one of the core skills that secondary skills promote.It is in the secondary near me.

You will find everyone has a mind of their own, but they are influenced by the people around them, that is what any good parent does to help their child become a well rounded adult! Surely as a parent you would know this, perhaps you are only part-time!Gaining life/work experience promotes confidence and independent thinking to choose your path in life, this is what any teacher/ lecturer (like myself, sorry to disappoint you if you thought I was sweeping up!! ) is trying to achieve for their students. "

Everyone can get influenced by the media and the news and friends and family.Look at brexit with hundreds of anti immigrant stories run prior to brexit.To say 16 year olds are more susceptible is indicative of you condescending opinion of them.

Leeds

As usual Bob knows best!

You will find everyone has a mind of their own, but they are influenced by the people around them, that is what any good parent does to help their child become a well rounded adult! Surely as a parent you would know this, perhaps you are only part-time!Gaining life/work experience promotes confidence and independent thinking to choose your path in life, this is what any teacher/ lecturer (like myself, sorry to disappoint you if you thought I was sweeping up!! ) is trying to achieve for their students.

Everyone can get influenced by the media and the news and friends and family.Look at brexit with hundreds of anti immigrant stories run prior to brexit.To say 16 year olds are more susceptible is indicative of you condescending opinion of them. "

Rubbish!

People saw the immigrants in their own communities and how it had ruined their community.

Go and ask those living in Calais, or Dover, or Folkestone for instance.

And 16 year olds are absolutely social media and peer group led.

And they have no real life experience.

As usual Bob knows best!

Everyone can get influenced by the media and the news and friends and family.Look at brexit with hundreds of anti immigrant stories run prior to brexit.To say 16 year olds are more susceptible is indicative of you condescending opinion of them.

Rubbish!

People saw the immigrants in their own communities and how it had ruined their community.

Go and ask those living in Calais, or Dover, or Folkestone for instance.

And 16 year olds are absolutely social media and peer group led.

And they have no real life experience.

"

Actually andy if you googled it you'll find they were 277 anti immigrant news stories in the year leading up to brexit from mainly 2 news papers.It was almost daily between the two.The mail and the express .You can find all of this online.

Leeds

So what? You think that people didn't see the truth with their own eyes?

Or perhaps the people of Dover and Folkestone are lying?

Perhaps the grooming scandals by Asian gangs in Oldham Rotherham are just being made up by the Daily Mail. Perhaps the Court hearings never happened. All just invented by the Daily Express?

"So what? You think that people didn't see the truth with their own eyes?

Perhaps the grooming scandals by Asian gangs in Oldham Rotherham are just being made up by the Daily Mail. Perhaps the Court hearings never happened. All just invented by the Daily Express?"

The numbers peaked to a frenzy of stories prior to brexit then dropped away since.Thats telling.Your free to ignore the analysis.The facts are irrefutable.

Leeds

Perhaps the grooming scandals by Asian gangs in Oldham Rotherham are just being made up by the Daily Mail. Perhaps the Court hearings never happened. All just invented by the Daily Express? The numbers peaked to a frenzy of stories prior to brexit then dropped away since.Thats telling.Your free to ignore the analysis.The facts are irrefutable. "

Those papers are middle market tabloids. Brexit wasn't decided by those readers. Their audience were already Brexit voters.

What swung Brexit were the voters would would and never did read those papers.

Perhaps the grooming scandals by Asian gangs in Oldham Rotherham are just being made up by the Daily Mail. Perhaps the Court hearings never happened. All just invented by the Daily Express? The numbers peaked to a frenzy of stories prior to brexit then dropped away since.Thats telling.Your free to ignore the analysis.The facts are irrefutable.

Those papers are middle market tabloids. Brexit wasn't decided by those readers. Their audience were already Brexit voters.

"

I will have to disagree

Leeds

Perhaps the grooming scandals by Asian gangs in Oldham Rotherham are just being made up by the Daily Mail. Perhaps the Court hearings never happened. All just invented by the Daily Express? The numbers peaked to a frenzy of stories prior to brexit then dropped away since.Thats telling.Your free to ignore the analysis.The facts are irrefutable.

I will have to disagree "

How can you? Those papers played to their audience. That audience alone was not enough to cause Brexit.

I will have to disagree

How can you? Those papers played to their audience. That audience alone was not enough to cause Brexit."

I just did andy for good reason.There are plenty of academic papers online that disagree with you,regarding the huge wave of anti immigrant propaganda aimed at the public to sway them.l eading up to the brexit vote..

Perhaps the grooming scandals by Asian gangs in Oldham Rotherham are just being made up by the Daily Mail. Perhaps the Court hearings never happened. All just invented by the Daily Express?"

how many of the Asian gang were Eu nationals ?

Grantham

Perhaps the grooming scandals by Asian gangs in Oldham Rotherham are just being made up by the Daily Mail. Perhaps the Court hearings never happened. All just invented by the Daily Express?how many of the Asian gang were Eu nationals ?"

Most were

Leeds

Perhaps the grooming scandals by Asian gangs in Oldham Rotherham are just being made up by the Daily Mail. Perhaps the Court hearings never happened. All just invented by the Daily Express?how many of the Asian gang were Eu nationals ?

Most were"

Exactly. The ones we had to allow here because of the EU!

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

Perhaps the grooming scandals by Asian gangs in Oldham Rotherham are just being made up by the Daily Mail. Perhaps the Court hearings never happened. All just invented by the Daily Express?how many of the Asian gang were Eu nationals ?

Most were

Exactly. The ones we had to allow here because of the EU!

"

Uh huh. And so what are you proposing? We disallow anyone coming in who is Asian because they are Asian? There is a word for that kind of thinking. Starts with an R. Can you guess what it is?

-Matt

Most were"

which Eu countries ? I thought they were British ? But will admit my memory is hazy on this.

Grantham

Most werewhich Eu countries ? I thought they were British ? But will admit my memory is hazy on this. "

And the UK isn't in the EU?

Most werewhich Eu countries ? I thought they were British ? But will admit my memory is hazy on this.

And the UK isn't in the EU? "

i missed where voting brexit helped get rid of uk nationals.

Most werewhich Eu countries ? I thought they were British ? But will admit my memory is hazy on this.

And the UK isn't in the EU? i missed where voting brexit helped get rid of uk nationals. "

Windrush...

And the UK isn't in the EU? i missed where voting brexit helped get rid of uk nationals.

Windrush... "

touche

Dudley

As usual Bob knows best!

Everyone can get influenced by the media and the news and friends and family.Look at brexit with hundreds of anti immigrant stories run prior to brexit.To say 16 year olds are more susceptible is indicative of you condescending opinion of them. "

Of course they can but wasn't this tread about 16 year olds getting the vote or am I going senial! Or are you just trying to change the goal post when it suits! I was just stating my experience not trying to be condescending, give them the chance to mature and gain experience before asking them to make such decisions, they will be better for it!

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

I’d say give them the vote at 16 there’s not a huge difference between 16 and 18 yrolds anyway

Derby

As usual Bob knows best!

I am giving you my experience from working in an FE college, I am not assuming anything!Your experience from your childs homework is hardly a broad sample of 16 year olds is it and has I said before I am sure your strong views will have influenced them! I would say most young persons early political views will be influenced by their parents but I suppose you will disagree with that too! "

I wouldn't bother if I were you...I've already pointed out that two of our children are secondary school teachers, have direct experience of over 30,000 teenagers, and that they would in no way give 16 year olds the vote.

Amd btw, none of their colleagues, with much greater experience, would either.

But Bob knows best, because he's had vast and expansive experience of his daughter and half a dozen of her mates.

Dudley

As usual Bob knows best!

I wouldn't bother if I were you...I've already pointed out that two of our children are secondary school teachers, have direct experience of over 30,000 teenagers, and that they would in no way give 16 year olds the vote.

Amd btw, none of their colleagues, with much greater experience, would either.

But Bob knows best, because he's had vast and expansive experience of his daughter and half a dozen of her mates. "

Yes a 100% bona fide know it all! I am surprised he hasn't used the "R" word to close down the debate like he usually does but there's still plenty of time!!!!!!!

majority of brexit voters were the other way i heard .......

over 55 and didnt really know or understand what they were voting for ..

i voted brexit never the less

thornaby

Do many ppl think 18 yrolds know much more about life than 16 yrolds I dint think there’s a huge difference

"Do many ppl think 18 yrolds know much more about life than 16 yrolds I dint think there’s a huge difference "

What were you doing at 16 Foxy?.

I was working as an apprentice on a building site giving half my wages to my mum ,as were all of my mates.Spending the rest down the pub .I was still training when I turned 18.I can see no difference between 16 and 18.

Leeds

"Do many ppl think 18 yrolds know much more about life than 16 yrolds I dint think there’s a huge difference

I was working as an apprentice on a building site giving half my wages to my mum ,as were all of my mates.Spending the rest down the pub .I was still training when I turned 18.I can see no difference between 16 and 18. "

Well everyone else can! Driving, drinking, smoking, making a Will, owning a house, which hospital/ward they attend.

16 is a child. 18 is an adult.

"Do many ppl think 18 yrolds know much more about life than 16 yrolds I dint think there’s a huge difference

I was working as an apprentice on a building site giving half my wages to my mum ,as were all of my mates.Spending the rest down the pub .I was still training when I turned 18.I can see no difference between 16 and 18.

Well everyone else can! Driving, drinking, smoking, making a Will, owning a house, which hospital/ward they attend.

"

So drinking and smoking and driving at 18 makes you an adult.

As someone who grew up in the 80s I was out earning money at 16,it was legal to buy cigarettes at 16 and drive a car at 17.It seems we've regressed.We gave 16 and 17 year olds more responsibility 30 years ago.So I can dismiss that argument about driving and smoking .The drinking hasn't changed.Although everyone I knew started drinking way before 18.

"

16 is old enough to be exploited by taxation without representation .... not to mention being coerced into the governments abhorrent policy of exploiting child soldiers ... let the kids vote

Bolton

16 is old enough to be exploited by taxation without representation .... not to mention being coerced into the governments abhorrent policy of exploiting child soldiers ... let the kids vote "

How exactly is someone who volunteers to join the armed services at 16 and is not allowed to fight until they are 18, being exploited? If all out war was declared, those kids would be sent home in case their training camps became targets. I joined up at 16, nobody exploited me. If they did, then when I left and joined a YTS it sounds like I was in a government funded slavery program compared to the army.

16 is old enough to be exploited by taxation without representation .... not to mention being coerced into the governments abhorrent policy of exploiting child soldiers ... let the kids vote

How exactly is someone who volunteers to join the armed services at 16 and is not allowed to fight until they are 18, being exploited? If all out war was declared, those kids would be sent home in case their training camps became targets. I joined up at 16, nobody exploited me. If they did, then when I left and joined a YTS it sounds like I was in a government funded slavery program compared to the army."

you seem to be confused as to the point your failing to make

thornaby

I was working as an apprentice on a building site giving half my wages to my mum ,as were all of my mates.Spending the rest down the pub .I was still training when I turned 18.I can see no difference between 16 and 18. same bob paid lodge spent rest diwn pub as most normal teens did nothing changed at 18 for sure "

"

Yes a 100% bona fide know it all! I am surprised he hasn't used the "R" word to close down the debate like he usually does but there's still plenty of time!!!!!!! "

You noticed that too?

I was working as an apprentice on a building site giving half my wages to my mum ,as were all of my mates.Spending the rest down the pub .I was still training when I turned 18.I can see no difference between 16 and 18. same bob paid lodge spent rest diwn pub as most normal teens did nothing changed at 18 for sure "

I knew you would of had normal working class background ,like my self.80% of my mates left school at 16 and went out to work.I agree there is no difference between 16 and 18

thornaby

I’m shocked that a lot of ppl think 16 yrolds are just kids if yr old enough to work for me yr old enough to vote to many older ppl like to think they have all the answers and younger ppl are just stupid and immature well it’s just not the case they are more informed now than anytime before

"I’m shocked that a lot of ppl think 16 yrolds are just kids if yr old enough to work for me yr old enough to vote to many older ppl like to think they have all the answers and younger ppl are just stupid and immature well it’s just not the case they are more informed now than anytime before "

Absolutely correct foxy.You are spot on!.

I am also shocked by some of the responses.I wonder if it's because those so against it ,feel younger people might choose labour over conservatives and this is the real reason they are against 16 year olds voting. Who knows.

I have much respect for the next generation of young people and from what you've written so do you foxy

thornaby

Yes I do bob and your right its all diwn to politics this age rubbish iv got two teenagers and one in there twenty’s and there all way smarter and more mature than I ever was at there ages in this day and age we respect the old but look down our noses at the young some ppl on here were born old lol

"Yes I do bob and your right its all diwn to politics this age rubbish iv got two teenagers and one in there twenty’s and there all way smarter and more mature than I ever was at there ages in this day and age we respect the old but look down our noses at the young some ppl on here were born old lol"

It's often the case that those Tory voters bang on about respecting oaps and smear young people as ignorant hoodies who are violent and thick.Maybe its because we both have teenage kids that we are better informed and know teenagers are caring and intelligent people.

You are right somepeople are born old and miserable.

Dudley

"

Yes a 100% bona fide know it all! I am surprised he hasn't used the "R" word to close down the debate like he usually does but there's still plenty of time!!!!!!!

You noticed that too? "

Let's be honest you could hardly fail not to notice it! Some people are never happier than when they are being miserable or trying to make everyone around them as miserable as they are!Probably falls out with himself everytime he looks in the mirror.

"

You noticed that too? Let's be honest you could hardly fail not to notice it! Some people are never happier than when they are being miserable or trying to make everyone around them as miserable as they are!Probably falls out with himself everytime he looks in the mirror. "

Ad hominem much...

Dudley

"

You noticed that too? Let's be honest you could hardly fail not to notice it! Some people are never happier than when they are being miserable or trying to make everyone around them as miserable as they are!Probably falls out with himself everytime he looks in the mirror.

Ad hominem much... "

More likely to be " The truth hurts!

"

You noticed that too? Let's be honest you could hardly fail not to notice it! Some people are never happier than when they are being miserable or trying to make everyone around them as miserable as they are!Probably falls out with himself everytime he looks in the mirror.

Ad hominem much...

More likely to be " The truth hurts! "

Bolton

How exactly is someone who volunteers to join the armed services at 16 and is not allowed to fight until they are 18, being exploited? If all out war was declared, those kids would be sent home in case their training camps became targets. I joined up at 16, nobody exploited me. If they did, then when I left and joined a YTS it sounds like I was in a government funded slavery program compared to the army.

you seem to be confused as to the point your failing to make "

Ibelieve it was you who claimed 16 year olds were coerced into being exploited as child soldiers. Well, if that is the case, they seem to be very easily coerced. Probably not the best people to be voting then eh? By the way, my last four votes in general and local elections have been for the Green Party. Hardly a true blue am I? I know full well that giving 16 year olds the vote would sway things way to the left, but I still wouldn't give it to them. No doubt I am shooting myself in the foot by denying them the vote, but I honestly don't see that many kids that are aware enough to be given it.

Would you be happy to see anyone over 65 denied it? There seems to be plenty on here who would.

Ibelieve it was you who claimed 16 year olds were coerced into being exploited as child soldiers. Well, if that is the case, they seem to be very easily coerced. Probably not the best people to be voting then eh? By the way, my last four votes in general and local elections have been for the Green Party. Hardly a true blue am I? I know full well that giving 16 year olds the vote would sway things way to the left, but I still wouldn't give it to them. No doubt I am shooting myself in the foot by denying them the vote, but I honestly don't see that many kids that are aware enough to be given it.

Would you be happy to see anyone over 65 denied it? There seems to be plenty on here who would."

stick to the topic in hand instead of waffling about irrelevances

Would you be happy to see anyone over 65 denied it? There seems to be plenty on here who would.

stick to the topic in hand instead of waffling about irrelevances "

You are the one waffling about exploiting child soldiers.

I did an apprenticeship in the Army and wasn't exploited. In fact it taught me valuable skills and gave me opportunities I would never have had in a normal job.

"

I did an apprenticeship in the Army and wasn't exploited. In fact it taught me valuable skills and gave me opportunities I would never have had in a normal job."

tell someone who gives a shit

"

I did an apprenticeship in the Army and wasn't exploited. In fact it taught me valuable skills and gave me opportunities I would never have had in a normal job.

tell someone who gives a shit"

I wouldn't expect you to give a shit, just one of your usual irascible responses

Bolton

I jacked it in after a few months...yet another bad decision I made at that age!

[Removed by poster at 25/05/18 11:46:30]

You can make bad decisions at 16 and at 40.

I think you should have to prove you understand the political system to get a vote.

There should be a compulsory test on politics and until you pass it, you shouldn’t be able to vote.

I know people who don’t have the first idea how the system works so why should they have any say in it?

By *espectful_KinksterMan  over a year ago

Abergele

Why 16 why not 14, or even 5 or when born, their parents can do it for them.....

Dudley

"I think you should have to prove you understand the political system to get a vote.

There should be a compulsory test on politics and until you pass it, you shouldn’t be able to vote.

I know people who don’t have the first idea how the system works so why should they have any say in it?"

Wouldn't that just be another reason to put people off voting,shouldn't we encourage people to take part.

thornaby

"Why 16 why not 14, or even 5 or when born, their parents can do it for them....."
well what’s the big difference between 16-18 as if ppl think you suddenly change in to a mature adult at 18 lol

Dudley

"Why 16 why not 14, or even 5 or when born, their parents can do it for them..... well what’s the big difference between 16-18 as if ppl think you suddenly change in to a mature adult at 18 lol"

No one said you suddenly change in to a mature adult at 18, you just have more real life experience!

thornaby

What like more pubs and clubs lol

Dudley

"What like more pubs and clubs lol"

Maybe a bit of work experience too and interaction with a broader spectrum of the community!

thornaby

Maybe yr right but most go to college till 18 now so not much of a change really

"Maybe yr right but most go to college till 18 now so not much of a change really "

Well the voting age isn't set in stone in any society.It's a fluid thing.Same for the drinking age.In the USA it was 21 to vote and that was dropped by 3 years to 18.You still need to be 21 to drink Alcohol.There is always movement as society changes and progresses,sometimes forward sometimes backwards..

» Add a new message to this topic