FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Vanity projects

Vanity projects

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *igsteve43 OP   Man  over a year ago

derby

So simply put should expensive vanity projects such as hs2 be cancelled while the nhs and other emergency services are struggling ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No way nhs is just for common folk , Boris needs a new plane

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"So simply put should expensive vanity projects such as hs2 be cancelled while the nhs and other emergency services are struggling ?"

HS2 should have been cancelled years ago. The people on the route don't want it, environmentalists don't want it ripping up the countryside, and I'd say if it was put to the country in a referendum a majority of the country would say they don't want it. Money would be much better spent upgrading the existing rail network and nationalising white elephants like the M6 toll road in the Midlands to ease congestion on the roads and motorways.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

see.... people like to call hs2 a vanity project.... but i would argue that a 50 billion pound project that is suppose to last for at least 30 years isn't a vanity project....

if you are going to call hs2 a vanity project then you could call the nuclear submarine replacement a vanity project as well......

derby

I do class the trident program a bit of a vanity project as i certainly dont think we need four of them. As for hs2 any project that has no real intrinsic value and will never recoup its cost is surely the definition of a vanity project

"I do class the trident program a bit of a vanity project as i certainly dont think we need four of them. As for hs2 any project that has no real intrinsic value and will never recoup its cost is surely the definition of a vanity project"

Agree,

"see.... people like to call hs2 a vanity project.... but i would argue that a 50 billion pound project that is suppose to last for at least 30 years isn't a vanity project....

if you are going to call hs2 a vanity project then you could call the nuclear submarine replacement a vanity project as well......"

Fabio!.. Its a vanity project!

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

HS2 is a laying of additional rail infrastructure on the WCML (and more). Yes it could be done cheaper and yes the current 85% capacity could be eeked to 90% or possibly more.

But HS2 more than doubles capacity and if you are going to do it, do you do it with old technology or the very latest technology? It is not about speed, it is about capacity and the ever increasing drive to get people out of their cars. HS2 in some form has to happen andvirvwould be ridiculous to lay down more Victorian era rail infrastructure.

"HS2 is a laying of additional rail infrastructure on the WCML (and more). Yes it could be done cheaper and yes the current 85% capacity could be eeked to 90% or possibly more.

But HS2 more than doubles capacity and if you are going to do it, do you do it with old technology or the very latest technology? It is not about speed, it is about capacity and the ever increasing drive to get people out of their cars. HS2 in some form has to happen andvirvwould be ridiculous to lay down more Victorian era rail infrastructure."

My not do speed and capacity? The Japanese do it that way.

In addition i'd say it'd be better to do two different lines at once.

One across the width of the country. Hitting as many large cities as possible, oe length wise on the same parameter

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"So simply put should expensive vanity projects such as hs2 be cancelled while the nhs and other emergency services are struggling ?"

By the time HS2 is actually built and finished it's expected to be about 20 years out of date. It should be called a joke project.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"I do class the trident program a bit of a vanity project as i certainly dont think we need four of them. As for hs2 any project that has no real intrinsic value and will never recoup its cost is surely the definition of a vanity project"

This should be great!

How many submarines do you think we need for a continuous at sea deterrent?

Yes !!!

"So simply put should expensive vanity projects such as hs2 be cancelled while the nhs and other emergency services are struggling ?

HS2 should have been cancelled years ago. The people on the route don't want it, environmentalists don't want it ripping up the countryside, and I'd say if it was put to the country in a referendum a majority of the country would say they don't want it. Money would be much better spent upgrading the existing rail network and nationalising white elephants like the M6 toll road in the Midlands to ease congestion on the roads and motorways. "

Careful ! Too much common Sence here ??

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Do you call the High Speed lines in Germany, France, Spain, and Belgium vanity projects? Was HS1 a vanity project?

These are purpose built lines especially for High speed trains, you simply cannot run such trains on Victorian infrastructure.

My beef with HS2 is I can see costs spiralling because of the time scale involved.

Japan and China are going into Maglev travel, and maybe we should be bolder and go down that route instead.

My localish (35 miles) HS2 station at Toton, is planned to have the greatest benefit of all the stations, with upto 74000 new jobs in the adjoining planned science and technology business centre.

Scrap it and replace it with a hyper loop.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"Scrap it and replace it with a hyper loop. "

Indian is pushing ahead with a planned Hyperloop between Mumbai and Pune.

And yes, Richard Branson is involved!

"Scrap it and replace it with a hyper loop.

Indian is pushing ahead with a planned Hyperloop between Mumbai and Pune.

And yes, Richard Branson is involved! "

They are a forward thinking nation.The technology is about to become the norm we will either be part of this future or be left behind.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I always said my biggest gripe with hs2 is that they missed a trick.... don’t build it from the south up! Build it from the north down....

That way you can connect all the big Northern cities and run trains between them... and then build a line to connect it with hs1

Why not spend the money on dialling the main existing routes , or tripling them !

Have three trains at a time run by different concerns , and the customer can then choose the best one to use !

derby

To answer _lcc i would halve the order to two.

As for hs2phase 1 reallh helps nobody , people talk about capacity but the three north to south mainlines all have plenty of available seats the capacity problems are all on local routes such as reading to london ,brighton to london, liverpool to manchester ,leeds to manchester etc how does hs2 help these routes.

As for toton the science and technology park will be finished way before phase 2 is done.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Couldn't we allow just Boris Johnson use of a plane, not the others, as long as there is a clear investigation of the £ millions wasted on that garden bridge, coupled with some of the money being paid back? He'd only be allowed a long haul flight and one-way only.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"To answer _lcc i would halve the order to two.

As for hs2phase 1 reallh helps nobody , people talk about capacity but the three north to south mainlines all have plenty of available seats the capacity problems are all on local routes such as reading to london ,brighton to london, liverpool to manchester ,leeds to manchester etc how does hs2 help these routes.

As for toton the science and technology park will be finished way before phase 2 is done.

"

2 isn't enough for a CaSD

"To answer _lcc i would halve the order to two.

2 isn't enough for a CaSD "

This is true 2 isn't enough, it's very easy for people to have an opinion on something they haven't a clue about or not thought through.

Ginger

» Add a new message to this topic