FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > farmers vs fishermen

farmers vs fishermen

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *abio OP   Man  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

the last time i brought up this topic it was taken down by mods because it was deemed for some reason to be a shot at out long lost scottish friend and snp european policy..... (it wasn't by the way)

but since it has come up again this morning on a UK wide lever i thought i would ask the question.....

obvious the position of fishermen is they want out of the single market and the CFP as soon as possible.....

but this morning the farmers union (the NFU) have asked the government to stay in because they fear they will not have enough farm worker come in from overseas to help with all their land management....

bearing in mind tories tend to be in more rural seats... do you think its the farmers who could eventually soften the type of brexit we get....

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"the last time i brought up this topic it was taken down by mods because it was deemed for some reason to be a shot at out long lost scottish friend and snp european policy..... (it wasn't by the way)

but since it has come up again this morning on a UK wide lever i thought i would ask the question.....

obvious the position of fishermen is they want out of the single market and the CFP as soon as possible.....

but this morning the farmers union (the NFU) have asked the government to stay in because they fear they will not have enough farm worker come in from overseas to help with all their land management....

bearing in mind tories tend to be in more rural seats... do you think its the farmers who could eventually soften the type of brexit we get...."

Currently prototypes of machinery are bring trialled which will do a lot of the work currently undertaken by imported labour. I believe six of the machines are currently being evaluated before being put into production. They can complete tasks such as wedding.

brave man having a shot at the mods there chap .... but no ... the government will outwardly show loads of sympathy to farmers but secretly they will be endeavouring to cut their legs from underneath them in an attempt to re-structure the industry into their idealogical market driven model. that will allow the government to do away with subsiding agriculture which will, after brexit, potentially dwarf the last decades welfare and war budgets combined. basically the government are shitting themselves about keeping uk agriculture afloat with public money and will do anything to break the farmers union. watch this space

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"the last time i brought up this topic it was taken down by mods because it was deemed for some reason to be a shot at out long lost scottish friend and snp european policy..... (it wasn't by the way)

bearing in mind tories tend to be in more rural seats... do you think its the farmers who could eventually soften the type of brexit we get...."

This really is pathetic. Yet another attempt to keep the UK in the EU by the back door. The Conservatives stood on a manifesto to leave the single market and the customs union at the general election. They gained millions of Leave voters support on the back of that promise at the general election. Respecting the wishes of the electorate is more important than that of The farmers union.

By *icklybitMan  over a year ago

Ayrshire

What happened to klunky anyway, where, when, and how did it go?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I imagine that the voting and Conservative party support from farmers will be more important than the publics' perception of May, should she lead to weakening of fishing rights.

Central

bearing in mind tories tend to be in more rural seats... do you think its the farmers who could eventually soften the type of brexit we get....

This really is pathetic. Yet another attempt to keep the UK in the EU by the back door. The Conservatives stood on a manifesto to leave the single market and the customs union at the general election. They gained millions of Leave voters support on the back of that promise at the general election. Respecting the wishes of the electorate is more important than that of The farmers union. "

They're not particularly trustworthy, I don't know whether you'd not realised that.

Cannock

This really is pathetic. Yet another attempt to keep the UK in the EU by the back door. The Conservatives stood on a manifesto to leave the single market and the customs union at the general election. They gained millions of Leave voters support on the back of that promise at the general election. Respecting the wishes of the electorate is more important than that of The farmers union.

They're not particularly trustworthy, I don't know whether you'd not realised that. "

The farmers union need to recognise that free movement of people will end with Brexit. As for farmers subsidies that has been guaranteed by the environment secretary Michael Gove for several years after Brexit, as we get money back from our EU membership fee, essentially the UK government will pay the subsidies instead of Brussels which seems like a much more efficient way to do it anyway. The EU referendum vote means leaving the single market, all the main players on both sides of the referendum campaign said this, so the public knew exactly what they were voting for. Both the Conservative party and the Labour party manifestos at the general election also said we must leave the single market. The views of the electorate must be respected.

By *urve BallWoman  over a year ago

North London

"(...)

I think it was the justice minister making the rounds in the last few days and suggesting that prisoners could be used to replace the cheap agricultural labour. At least they recognise that NO british person would actually *choose* to do some of the jobs that all them immigrants "steal" from us

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

We will simply end up importing all the food that currently requires manual labour to harvest. It's a genius solution. I have sympathy with the farmers, but many of them voted leave and have only just realised that theyve shot themselves in the foot.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Neither he farmers or fishermen matter to the Tories so neither will be given any real consideration when planning our future. Landowners, financiers and wealthy corporations matter, they (in that order) are the ones who will call the shots.

They're not particularly trustworthy, I don't know whether you'd not realised that.

The farmers union need to recognise that free movement of people will end with Brexit. As for farmers subsidies that has been guaranteed by the environment secretary Michael Gove for several years after Brexit, as we get money back from our EU membership fee, essentially the UK government will pay the subsidies instead of Brussels which seems like a much more efficient way to do it anyway. The EU referendum vote means leaving the single market, all the main players on both sides of the referendum campaign said this, so the public knew exactly what they were voting for. Both the Conservative party and the Labour party manifestos at the general election also said we must leave the single market. The views of the electorate must be respected. "

Thats funny. This mentality runs the risk of isolating the tory rural seats. You know the places where the buisness owners and land owners (farmers and food processers) are the most reliable to get out and vote. Couple that with the tory pensioner vote literally dying off (not gleeful about that btw) and the liberal democrats trying to make the case for capital access for the younger in society - you might see a reversal of fortunes.

This really is pathetic. Yet another attempt to keep the UK in the EU by the back door. The Conservatives stood on a manifesto to leave the single market and the customs union at the general election. They gained millions of Leave voters support on the back of that promise at the general election. Respecting the wishes of the electorate is more important than that of The farmers union. "

Damn farmers highlighting to the tories that if they dont adress an issue many independant and tennant farmers may give up buisness.

You know the thing that the tories dont want as it reduces the incoming tax, reduces private land ownership...reduces their credibility in encouraging people to take control over their destiny through private enterprise..

"(...)

I think it was the justice minister making the rounds in the last few days and suggesting that prisoners could be used to replace the cheap agricultural labour. At least they recognise that NO british person would actually *choose* to do some of the jobs that all them immigrants "steal" from us "

Next the tories will propose hiring mini busses and getting young inner city unemployed people onto them for 'paid work experience excursions' to garms in lincolnshire

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple  over a year ago

Dudley

"(...)

I think it was the justice minister making the rounds in the last few days and suggesting that prisoners could be used to replace the cheap agricultural labour. At least they recognise that NO british person would actually *choose* to do some of the jobs that all them immigrants "steal" from us

Next the tories will propose hiring mini busses and getting young inner city unemployed people onto them for 'paid work experience excursions' to garms in lincolnshire"

Sounds like a great idea, the fresh air and exercise will do them good and something to add on the CV!

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

The conservatives failed to secure a mandate.

Cambridge

The trouble for the fisherman though is although they want to do all the fishing themselves and not share any waters, their market is Europe. That's where they sell most of their catch, so there is little point in catching fish that they can't sell.

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

"The trouble for the fisherman though is although they want to do all the fishing themselves and not share any waters, their market is Europe. That's where they sell most of their catch, so there is little point in catching fish that they can't sell. "

Although the majority of fishers probably voted to leave concern about the single market is more of an issue for some sectors - the inshore fishers in particular are worried about their markets and were always less impacted by the CFP anyway.

moston

"Sounds like a great idea, the fresh air and exercise will do them good and something to add on the CV! "

Of course it does (to you)...

Free labour for farmers and landowners, how could that impact you? At the same time we can sack the street cleaners and have the unemployed (previously employed cleaning the streets) do that for their unemployment pay...

Why stop there? The same can be done in retail and with all manual jobs. With a large enough % of the working population unemployed the government and employers can first force wages down and then even do the same with professional workers. Oh yes, already being done, trainee nnurses having to work in NHS for free while paying for their training and qualified nurses being paid so poorly they need to use foodbanks. How about your employer sack you and get the government to force you to work for dole while the bank repossess your home and sells it off to a private landlord who can kick you out at a whim? Whats that? Your too important for that to be done to you...

I'm sure some people have zero foresight and no concept of cause and effect.

"(...)

Next the tories will propose hiring mini busses and getting young inner city unemployed people onto them for 'paid work experience excursions' to garms in lincolnshire

Sounds like a great idea, the fresh air and exercise will do them good and something to add on the CV! "

Alright. Who pays for the mini bus.

The tax payers to support people starting their shift at 5am. Or do they pay for it?

Dudley

"Sounds like a great idea, the fresh air and exercise will do them good and something to add on the CV!

Free labour for farmers and landowners, how could that impact you? At the same time we can sack the street cleaners and have the unemployed (previously employed cleaning the streets) do that for their unemployment pay...

Why stop there? The same can be done in retail and with all manual jobs. With a large enough % of the working population unemployed the government and employers can first force wages down and then even do the same with professional workers. Oh yes, already being done, trainee nnurses having to work in NHS for free while paying for their training and qualified nurses being paid so poorly they need to use foodbanks. How about your employer sack you and get the government to force you to work for dole while the bank repossess your home and sells it off to a private landlord who can kick you out at a whim? Whats that? Your too important for that to be done to you...

I'm sure some people have zero foresight and no concept of cause and effect."

If you read the post I replied to correctly it said "paid work excursions" no mention of doing it for free, so don't get your knickers in a twist! It would do some people good to do a hard days work!

"Sounds like a great idea, the fresh air and exercise will do them good and something to add on the CV!

If you read the post I replied to correctly it said "paid work excursions" no mention of doing it for free, so don't get your knickers in a twist! It would do some people good to do a hard days work! "

Great, now you can reply to my response given that my post was the one you replied to.

why don't the Farmers make the jobs more attractive and then they wouldn't need foreign workers !

Cambridge

bearing in mind tories tend to be in more rural seats... do you think its the farmers who could eventually soften the type of brexit we get.... why don't the Farmers make the jobs more attractive and then they wouldn't need foreign workers !"

Brits don't want to do it. People from rich countries don't want to do it. Who do you think picks all the fruit and veg in California, Yanks? Nope.

bearing in mind tories tend to be in more rural seats... do you think its the farmers who could eventually soften the type of brexit we get.... why don't the Farmers make the jobs more attractive and then they wouldn't need foreign workers !

Brits don't want to do it. People from rich countries don't want to do it. Who do you think picks all the fruit and veg in California, Yanks? Nope. "

Hmmmmm Mexicans ? If they are good at Wall Climimng !

Dudley

"(...)

Sounds like a great idea, the fresh air and exercise will do them good and something to add on the CV!

The tax payers to support people starting their shift at 5am. Or do they pay for it?"

Hopefully the farmers will be paying for the minibus but if it takes a subsidy from the tax payer then it's a price worth paying!

"(...)

The tax payers to support people starting their shift at 5am. Or do they pay for it?

Hopefully the farmers will be paying for the minibus but if it takes a subsidy from the tax payer then it's a price worth paying! "

So, you're willing to take people who are not trained for farm work, probably, given tge record of the tories - they will be told to take the oppertunity or lose universal credit.

The transport will be subsidised by the tax payer - including the people who are going to be pushed into this.

So in reality you are penilising the tax payer and those poor sods who'll probs be doing manual labour at 5am for minimum wage.

So much for brexit making the individual and nation better.

"(...)

Hopefully the farmers will be paying for the minibus but if it takes a subsidy from the tax payer then it's a price worth paying!

So, you're willing to take people who are not trained for farm work, probably, given tge record of the tories - they will be told to take the oppertunity or lose universal credit.

The transport will be subsidised by the tax payer - including the people who are going to be pushed into this.

So in reality you are penilising the tax payer and those poor sods who'll probs be doing manual labour at 5am for minimum wage.

So much for brexit making the individual and nation better."

Do EU workers not get up early and work minimum wage jobs ???

Is this some kind of British work snobbery ????

If I was made unemployed tommorow I would take any job as I believe in the respect employment brings to a person.

bearing in mind tories tend to be in more rural seats... do you think its the farmers who could eventually soften the type of brexit we get.... why don't the Farmers make the jobs more attractive and then they wouldn't need foreign workers !"

Because the cost of running a farm is expensive.

You have to bulk buy fertilisers.

Regulated pesticides.

Lots of manure if youre organic.

Repair equiptment and buy new stuff to stay competitive

Regulated antibiotics and vet fees for live stock

Tax on land

Make sure the market isnt ripping you off

Unless you are a large industrial landowner farming is not really that profitable

Theres a big reason why smaller farms have seen record investment in automated pickers and harvesters. Less lsbour cost for them, more time efficient. Might close the gap better them and more affluent farmers.

"(...)

If I was made unemployed tommorow I would take any job as I believe in the respect employment brings to a person."

Yes EU workers who are underskilled are more willing to do it.

There has been many investigations into it and the reality is, the young and able bodied (the ones who farmers want to do this kind of work) are either unwilling to get up at 4am to start work at 5am when they realise those are the working hours, or they expect (understandably) higher pay for it.

These are averages. But most low or unskilled british labourers want training up in something more technical and not seasonal.

Central

If you read the post I replied to correctly it said "paid work excursions" no mention of doing it for free, so don't get your knickers in a twist! It would do some people good to do a hard days work! "

There aren't many unemployed and having buses scouting areas to take people many miles away would likely affect need armies of buses, drivers and probably deliver a workforce that the farmers don't want.

We could also reduce every employees holiday entitlement by 2 weeks or so, with us all being forced to work on the fields, to ensure that food is produced fairly. The greater the amount of annual leave, the more weeks spent on the fields.

The unemployed have a full-time job looking for a job, so the employed should get to the fields when they are on leave.

Dudley

"(...)

So much for brexit making the individual and nation better."

Won't the tax payer already be paying them to sit at home doing nothing!?

Won't it be good for them to get some up to date work experience and I am sure any farmer with a bit of common sense would give an induction prior to them starting any work.

Dudley

If you read the post I replied to correctly it said "paid work excursions" no mention of doing it for free, so don't get your knickers in a twist! It would do some people good to do a hard days work!

There aren't many unemployed and having buses scouting areas to take people many miles away would likely affect need armies of buses, drivers and probably deliver a workforce that the farmers don't want.

We could also reduce every employees holiday entitlement by 2 weeks or so, with us all being forced to work on the fields, to ensure that food is produced fairly. The greater the amount of annual leave, the more weeks spent on the fields.

The unemployed have a full-time job looking for a job, so the employed should get to the fields when they are on leave. "

More nonsense!

Having been involved in running courses for the unemployed,I can tell you they aren't just dragged on to a bus and dumped somewhere!

Dudley

"(...)

If I was made unemployed tommorow I would take any job as I believe in the respect employment brings to a person."

My thoughts exactly.

Cannock

"(...)

If I was made unemployed tommorow I would take any job as I believe in the respect employment brings to a person.

My thoughts exactly. "

maybe remainers prefer the old system where corrupt gangmasters exploit illegal immigrants, round them up and pack them onto buses at 4 and 5am to do a hard days labour in a farmers field. The illegals get exploited and earn a pittance of a pay, while the gangmasters rake in the profits. Then at the end of the day the illegals are rounded up and put back on buses and shipped off to caravan sites or squat houses where people sleep 10 crammed into a single room. How can British workers compete on this level? And don't say it doesn't happen because we all know it does and even the farmers who pay these people know what they are paying for.

In what other industry do they rely on handouts like our farmers do it time they entered the real world of business and paid their own way rather than the bullshit of being paid for nothing. Could you imagine anyother business trying to get away with that kind of shit

moston

"The unemployed have a full-time job looking for a job, so the employed should get to the fields when they are on leave. "

I was wondering who would lead on from post...

"More nonsense!

Having been involved in running courses for the unemployed,I can tell you they aren't just dragged on to a bus and dumped somewhere! "

Problem is that piece of 'more nonsense!' as you call it was how harvests were brought in until around 70 years ago. And by the way the Tories have already attempted to force the unemployed to work for benefits on more than one occasion! That you do not know either of these facts shows either a total lack of any knowledge of social history or wilful ignorance.

Cambridge

"In what other industry do they rely on handouts like our farmers do it time they entered the real world of business and paid their own way rather than the bullshit of being paid for nothing. Could you imagine anyother business trying to get away with that kind of shit "

How about the arms industry?

"(...)

My thoughts exactly.

maybe remainers prefer the old system where corrupt gangmasters exploit illegal immigrants, round them up and pack them onto buses at 4 and 5am to do a hard days labour in a farmers field. The illegals get exploited and earn a pittance of a pay, while the gangmasters rake in the profits. Then at the end of the day the illegals are rounded up and put back on buses and shipped off to caravan sites or squat houses where people sleep 10 crammed into a single room. How can British workers compete on this level? And don't say it doesn't happen because we all know it does and even the farmers who pay these people know what they are paying for. "

Time to name and shame the farmers who do it !

"(...)

My thoughts exactly.

maybe remainers prefer the old system where corrupt gangmasters exploit illegal immigrants, round them up and pack them onto buses at 4 and 5am to do a hard days labour in a farmers field. The illegals get exploited and earn a pittance of a pay, while the gangmasters rake in the profits. Then at the end of the day the illegals are rounded up and put back on buses and shipped off to caravan sites or squat houses where people sleep 10 crammed into a single room. How can British workers compete on this level? And don't say it doesn't happen because we all know it does and even the farmers who pay these people know what they are paying for. "

I used to work on my in laws farm at the potatos. That was over thirty years ago but there were no forgiegn nationals then. All younsters like me getting an ok amount of money. Since farmers have to pay minimum wage or above the same as any employer then people that won't take the job are just robbing the tax payer. If you are fit to earn then for your own self esteem you should work.

I was told fair and square from my parents either get a job or leave home as unemployment is not an option.

Cambridge

Does anyone know what percentage of the UK fruit and veg picking labour force comes from the non UK-EU?

"I was told fair and square from my parents either get a job or leave home as unemployment is not an option."

It's OK, lots of people's parents say stupid things.

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

"(...)

My thoughts exactly.

maybe remainers prefer the old system where corrupt gangmasters exploit illegal immigrants, round them up and pack them onto buses at 4 and 5am to do a hard days labour in a farmers field. The illegals get exploited and earn a pittance of a pay, while the gangmasters rake in the profits. Then at the end of the day the illegals are rounded up and put back on buses and shipped off to caravan sites or squat houses where people sleep 10 crammed into a single room. How can British workers compete on this level? And don't say it doesn't happen because we all know it does and even the farmers who pay these people know what they are paying for. Time to name and shame the farmers who do it !"

Farmer Palmer, farmer Barleymow, The Wurzels Collective and a certain farm down in the west country that I am told is run by a gang of pigs.

There are others as well.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

"Having been involved in running courses for the unemployed,I can tell you they aren't just dragged on to a bus and dumped somewhere"

Sit down Mikey love. Now have you got a pen?

» Add a new message to this topic