FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > England to win the World Cup

England to win the World Cup

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asyuk OP   Man  over a year ago

West London

Come on!

Get behind it!

We can take on the world and win!

We did it before in the "good old days".

Get behind it and stop moaning and complaining. Don't be so negative!

Interesting to know who think's this is a sensible point of view.

Incidentally, I hope that we do win but I can't see any evidence that we will. If we win it will be luck rather than judgement.

Does anyone disagree with that?

So, for clarity, there are two questions to be answered. Out of courtesy, can every poster try to answer them directly with respect to the World Cup before discussing any other topics?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Yes to your first point and every team that wins the World Cup needs a bit of luck

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

England won't win the world cup, but your enthusiasm and belief is laudable.

thornaby

They have more chance than your lot tho lol

"They have more chance than your lot tho lol "

That they do. But I wouldn't recommend you hold your breath for it happening.

thornaby

I only hold my breath when underwater bud atleast you can celabrate if we get beat on Monday lol

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

I put £10 on Iceland to win their group.

Bookies think it’s more likely than England winning the final.

Mind you, I have another £10 on the final being Portugal v England.

West London

So one poster believes that positive thinking on the part of individual members of the population will bring world cup success and luck rather than skill and judgement are the most important factors?

Two other failures to respond.

Come on chaps.

thornaby

"So one poster believes that positive thinking on the part of individual members of the population will bring world cup success and luck rather than skill and judgement are the most important factors?

Two other failures to respond.

Come on chaps."

lmao we’re did I say it’s more important I think it’s important to me to be positive I don’t usually wach my team and think negatively it be a waste of time supporting a team if I was negative weres the fun in that for gods sake

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

I can only assume that the OP is not a football fan

A true fan always hopes that enthusiasm combined with luck will always overcome expectation.

I have money on England and Belgium to win the World Cup.

West London

"I can only assume that the OP is not a football fan

A true fan always hopes that enthusiasm combined with luck will always overcome expectation.

I have money on England and Belgium to win the World Cup. "

Why would you assume that? Is your view the only view?

As a fan I look at my team and the opposition. I know the quality of the players and the history off the team.

If we are out-classed in every department I will hope that new talent or the team gelling successfully will take its through. I don't expect it though. A the season our tournament progresses it becomes apparent of this hope is well placed our not.

I also do not expect my team to be reliant on hopes and luck to pull us through.

Aren't England and Belgium in the same group? Why not Panama?

Interesting.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

As a fan I look at my team and the opposition. I know the quality of the players and the history off the team.

If we are out-classed in every department I will hope that new talent or the team gelling successfully will take its through. I don't expect it though. A the season our tournament progresses it becomes apparent of this hope is well placed our not.

I also do not expect my team to be reliant on hopes and luck to pull us through.

Interesting."

If everyone looked at quality of players and history of performance and it always translated into positive results then everyone would be winning on the football all the time at betting shops. As any football fan knows it just doesn't work like that. Shock results happen in football all the time. Lower league teams beat Premier league teams in the FA cup. Who would have predicted that Leicester City would win the Premier league a couple of seasons ago. In World cups less talented teams often pull off shock results against the better teams. I think most people were expecting Argentina to beat Iceland yesterday but it didn't happen and they only got a draw. There is no reason why England couldn't do a 'Leicester City in the Premier league' and win the world cup.

As another poster already said earlier you get behind your team with positivity and enthusiasm, The World Cup is a festival of football and it's great for England fans that England are in the finals in Russia, where is the fun in expecting to lose before you've even kicked a ball?

Grantham

Interesting."

In sport generally, the favourite doesn't always in.

England and Belgium are in the second group. They should both qualify, and then the paths separate, and if we get to play them again, then it will only be in the final.

And due to the competitive nature of the betting industry, I get my money back if either fail to make the final.

A bet on England is largely an emotional one, the bet on Belgium is me analysing form etc and is more of a logical one.

Grantham

"same" group not "second" group!

I think that the Op was trying to use support for the England football as an analogy for Brexit. Sadly it seems, he doesn’t understand either. Football or the EU

West London

""same" group not "second" group!"

Yes. Autospell typo. Well spotted.

That's the point though You've put bets on two teams in the same group.

You bet against England too.

Why Belgium and not one of the other teams in the same group though?

Couldn't you get better odds for Panama or Tunisia? Can't the hope of their nations together with yours get them through?

""same" group not "second" group!

Yes. Autospell typo. Well spotted.

That's the point though You've put bets on two teams in the same group.

You bet against England too.

Why Belgium and not one of the other teams in the same group though?

Couldn't you get better odds for Panama or Tunisia? Can't the hope of their nations together with yours get them through?"

thornaby

"I think that the Op was trying to use support for the England football as an analogy for Brexit. Sadly it seems, he doesn’t understand either. Football or the EU"
my thoughts aswell he likes to ask questions but fails to answer any

thornaby

Interesting.

If everyone looked at quality of players and history of performance and it always translated into positive results then everyone would be winning on the football all the time at betting shops. As any football fan knows it just doesn't work like that. Shock results happen in football all the time. Lower league teams beat Premier league teams in the FA cup. Who would have predicted that Leicester City would win the Premier league a couple of seasons ago. In World cups less talented teams often pull off shock results against the better teams. I think most people were expecting Argentina to beat Iceland yesterday but it didn't happen and they only got a draw. There is no reason why England couldn't do a 'Leicester City in the Premier league' and win the world cup.

As another poster already said earlier you get behind your team with positivity and enthusiasm, The World Cup is a festival of football and it's great for England fans that England are in the finals in Russia, where is the fun in expecting to lose before you've even kicked a ball?

"

I dint think he knows anything about football or any sport history doesn’t work when it’s new players new managers coaches training methods almost every World Cup like you say centaur who would of thought leicester city would win the Prem were was the history there

Cannock

Did anyone expect Mexico to beat the holders Germany today? Perhaps the OP thought it was a forgone conclusion that Germany would win? Based on history Germany have not lost their opening game in a world cup finals since 1982. Mexico have never won the world cup and Germany have won it many times, and beat Brazil convincingly in the world cup final 4 years ago.

Score today.....

Mexico 1 - 0 Germany

"Did anyone expect Mexico to beat the holders Germany today? Perhaps the OP thought it was a forgone conclusion that Germany would win? Based on history Germany have not lost their opening game in a world cup finals since 1982. Mexico have never won the world cup and Germany have won it many times, and beat Brazil convincingly in the world cup final 4 years ago.

Score today.....

Mexico 1 - 0 Germany "

Well apparently that would have all been down to luck

By *urve BallWoman  over a year ago

North London

Bitchfest much? It's like the online/forum version of "Mean girls"!

Try attacking the arguments, as opposed to the individuals, for a change.

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

I don’t think England will win the World Cup but I can see them getting out of their group winning a knock match against Colombia or Poland before losing in the quarterfinals.

thornaby

After seein Spain Germany Portugal Brazil Argentina there’s nothing to fear anything is possible upto now

Cannock

Was interesting yesterday on the commentary during the Mexico v Germany game the commentator said that the Mexico Manager/coach was a big believer in positive thinking and it was important for the team to have a positive mental attitude which helps with the psychological well being of the team. Did the positive thinking of the Mexico team help them to overcome the superior talent of the German team? Well seeing as Mexico won 1-0 I think it certainly played a part in it.

England have as much chance of winning the cup as the nhs has getting 350million of the tories and thats no fcking chance lol

thornaby

Wow another scots post wishing the England team well lmao atleast we are in the World Cup guys lmao

"Wow another scots post wishing the England team well lmao atleast we are in the World Cup guys lmao"

What has my nationality got to do with it ? I never wished anything i gave a realistic answer ,oh and i dont support the scottish football team so couldnt care less whos at the world cup

Cannock

"England have as much chance of winning the cup as the nhs has getting 350million of the tories and thats no fcking chance lol "

People said the same about Leicester City winning the Premier league a couple of years ago, then look what happened.

thornaby

So why have we got no chance then have you wached the games no team as stood out yet as the saying goes got to be init to win it

"England have as much chance of winning the cup as the nhs has getting 350million of the tories and thats no fcking chance lol

People said the same about Leicester City winning the Premier league a couple of years ago, then look what happened. "

Is that what your basing your your high hopes on a once in a lifetime occurrence

"So why have we got no chance then have you wached the games no team as stood out yet as the saying goes got to be init to win it "

Because they are not good enough thats why ,prob make it out the section then home thats what i think

thornaby

So what team as looked really good then because iv wached most of the games and yet to see any team shine yet it looks like it’s open to any team that hits form

Cannock

"England have as much chance of winning the cup as the nhs has getting 350million of the tories and thats no fcking chance lol

People said the same about Leicester City winning the Premier league a couple of years ago, then look what happened.

Is that what your basing your your high hopes on a once in a lifetime occurrence "

Well Leicester City were in the Premier league and so had a chance of winning it. England are in the World cup and so have a chance of winning it.

One thing is for sure Scotland are not in it so have no chance of winning.

thornaby

Centaur I think it’s just sour grapes ?? Lol

"So what team as looked really good then because iv wached most of the games and yet to see any team shine yet it looks like it’s open to any team that hits form "

Its early days thought portugal and spain looked good ,look ive not slagged england i just dont think they are good enough

Is that what your basing your your high hopes on a once in a lifetime occurrence

Well Leicester City were in the Premier league and so had a chance of winning it. England are in the World cup and so have a chance of winning it.

One thing is for sure Scotland are not in it so have no chance of winning. "

Id say 2 things are for sure england wont win it and wont be anywhere near wining it lol

"Centaur I think it’s just sour grapes ?? Lol"

No sour grapes here ive already told you i dont care who is at world cup im just giving my opinion ,could you say where yous get your confidence from as england have been rubbish at every tournament for yrs

thornaby

Okies I’ll take your word for it I don’t think past history in world cups will affect this team because of the age of the team and there’s been less press going overboard I agree with you tho Portugal and Spain looked good but both were open at the back just think it’s an open World Cup upto now that is

By *eliciousladyWoman  over a year ago

Sometimes U.K

Am cheering for England and forever hopeful that they can win, they have as much chance as any other country really.

Can’t understand all the nastiness that surrounds England though, suspect it’s a little bit of jealousy.

"Okies I’ll take your word for it I don’t think past history in world cups will affect this team because of the age of the team and there’s been less press going overboard I agree with you tho Portugal and Spain looked good but both were open at the back just think it’s an open World Cup upto now that is "

Fair shout its got makings of being a good one

Cannock

"Am cheering for England and forever hopeful that they can win, they have as much chance as any other country really.

Can’t understand all the nastiness that surrounds England though, suspect it’s a little bit of jealousy. "

Well England won 2-1 in the end against Tunisia tonight, never give up until the final whistle.

It was on BBC radio 2 Jeremy Vine show earlier today about England in the world cup, some of the nastiness and bitterness towards England was shocking. One lady phoned in and said she hoped England would lose because she is a remainer and she thought it would be mainly brexiters who support the England football team.

She said that Brexiters do not deserve to feel any joy or happiness from the England team winning, lol.

Grantham

"Am cheering for England and forever hopeful that they can win, they have as much chance as any other country really.

Can’t understand all the nastiness that surrounds England though, suspect it’s a little bit of jealousy.

Well England won 2-1 in the end against Tunisia tonight, never give up until the final whistle.

It was on BBC radio 2 Jeremy Vine show earlier today about England in the world cup, some of the nastiness and bitterness towards England was shocking. One lady phoned in and said she hoped England would lose because she is a remainer and she thought it would be mainly brexiters who support the England football team.

She said that Brexiters do not deserve to feel any joy or happiness from the England team winning, lol. "

I heard that too. A woman who was more upset about the EU referendum not going her way than hoping England did well at the World Cup!

By *athy1Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

She said that Brexiters do not deserve to feel any joy or happiness from the England team winning, lol. "

What a load of cobblers you love starting trouble

Cannock

She said that Brexiters do not deserve to feel any joy or happiness from the England team winning, lol.

What a load of cobblers you love starting trouble "

Not cobblers as Mercury already posted before you and said he heard it. I believe you can get it on BBC iplayer if you want to listen to it yourself.

Bristol East

If salaries reflected performance, who would be the favourites?

We hear about it all the time with FTSE100 companies - the top player being paid out of all proportion to performance.

So what about the football?

How many millionaires started for England last night?

Is there a better paid team at the tournament?

Are you entitled to think that financial income should match the performance and results?

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

[Removed by poster at 19/06/18 07:09:19]

Costa Blanca Spain...

I think there is a lot of bitterness shown towards England and Brexit hasn't really helped.

Also it was the England delegation that called out FIFA on the corruption scandal that eventually saw the end of Blatter.

As we saw last night, England will get no favours from Referees or VAR.

Game 3 should be interesting.

Brexit England v Capital of the EU Belgium.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

I think there is a lot of bitterness shown towards England and Brexit hasn't really helped.

Also it was the England delegation that called out FIFA on the corruption scandal that eventually saw the end of Blatter.

Brexit England v Capital of the EU Belgium."

Lol.

Same as the Eurovision Song Contest voting over the last 30 odd years!

Costa Blanca Spain...

Brexit England v Capital of the EU Belgium.

Lol.

Same as the Eurovision Song Contest voting over the last 30 odd years!"

LOL. Yep that's about it.

You could get every top British songwriter from history to get together and write a masterpiece. Get a group of the best British musicians and singers to perform it and it would still get less points than two Russian grannies playing a balalaika.

Funny thing is though that European radio stations playlists are full of British hits.

Love the BBC scetch imagining if we did win it !

You know what they say , never a truer word spoken in Jest !

We just need Gabby to offer to do a Linnaker now if we do !

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

The cocaine trade must be good thousands of Columbians at the match today

Polish fans have gone on the rampage in Russia!

Apparently so far 375 cars have been fully valeted

Cannock

"Polish fans have gone on the rampage in Russia!

Apparently so far 375 cars have been fully valeted"

By *leasure domMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Hopefully not.

I'm not interested in football, but they're still banging on about their solitary victory 52 years ago, to the extent that it is inescapable.

Even the 50th anniversary had special programmes, FFS.

"Hopefully not.

I'm not interested in football, but they're still banging on about their solitary victory 52 years ago, to the extent that it is inescapable.

Even the 50th anniversary had special programmes, FFS."

Maybe the should take up cricket see if their any good at that lol

Cannock

"Hopefully not.

Maybe the should take up cricket see if their any good at that lol "

Didn't the England cricket team just smash the One Day International record yesterday, scoring 481-6.

Grantham

"Hopefully not.

Didn't the England cricket team just smash the One Day International record yesterday, scoring 481-6. "

Certainly did! A great day off in the sun yesterday to watch it. Made all the better that it was against (a weakened) Australia.

"Hopefully not.

Didn't the England cricket team just smash the One Day International record yesterday, scoring 481-6. "

Just think what the mighty scotland would have done to them then lol

So after englands performance against the mighty tunisia who still thinks england will win the cup or even make the qrt finals

Cannock

"So after englands performance against the mighty tunisia who still thinks england will win the cup or even make the qrt finals "

Well England have got off to a better start than some of the favourites, Germany, Brazil and Argentina. England winning their first game while Germany lost to Mexico and Brazil drawing with Switzerland and Argentina could only manage a draw with Iceland.

I think England have a great chance of making the quarter finals as the round of 16 England will face anyone from Group H, being Colombia, Japan, Poland or Senegal and I think we could beat any of those teams.

Bristol East

Would the UK Establishment still boycott Russia in the event that England reached the final?

bournemouth

"So after englands performance against the mighty tunisia who still thinks england will win the cup or even make the qrt finals

Well England have got off to a better start than some of the favourites, Germany, Brazil and Argentina. England winning their first game while Germany lost to Mexico and Brazil drawing with Switzerland and Argentina could only manage a draw with Iceland.

I think England have a great chance of making the quarter finals as the round of 16 England will face anyone from Group H, being Colombia, Japan, Poland or Senegal and I think we could bea

t any of those teams. "

It’s like a repeat of news at ten listing to you

"So after englands performance against the mighty tunisia who still thinks england will win the cup or even make the qrt finals

I think England have a great chance of making the quarter finals as the round of 16 England will face anyone from Group H, being Colombia, Japan, Poland or Senegal and I think we could bea

t any of those teams.

It’s like a repeat of news at ten listing to you "

Does your carer let you stay up that late?

bournemouth

t any of those teams.

It’s like a repeat of news at ten listing to you

Does your carer let you stay up that late? "

Thought I noticed you in your wheelchair in the care home

By *rench letterCouple  over a year ago

Chorley,

Come on France to win.

"Come on France to win. "

You have?

"So after englands performance against the mighty tunisia who still thinks england will win the cup or even make the qrt finals "

The problem is that they're trying to play that namby pamby tikki tako like those continentals.

Wouldn’t have happened if they’d played a proper four four facking two.

Long ball up to Crouchy who knocks it down for Jamie Vardy who screams “BREXIT MEANS BREXIT” while he thundercunts it into the top corner!

England will not make it past the QF’s, at best.

West London

Interesting.

"

Most of the time, stronger teams best weaker ones. It's on rare occasions that the minnow beats the shark against the odds.

That makes sport exciting.

I wouldn't count on it happening and it is in the hands of the players and their coaching staff.

As I stated, new talent and a team gelling (particularly important at the international level) can mean that a team's previous record becomes moot because what has been created is new and unexpected. Surprises are rarely created by an established team.

So here I am being accused of not understanding football.

What I asked was how much of a difference do you think your attitude as a "real fan" affects this? In person at an event it could tip the balance otherwise what? Belief and prayer will lift the team somehow?

Did Leeds supporters believe more when they win the Championship and then stopped the following year?

Did Mexico fans believe more than German ones?

I'll trust in the talent and training of the players, you can trust in the faith of the fans pulling them through.

West London

"I think that the Op was trying to use support for the England football as an analogy for Brexit. Sadly it seems, he doesn’t understand either. Football or the EU my thoughts aswell he likes to ask questions but fails to answer any "

I try to answer every question I am directly asked.

If I've missed one I apologise. I didn't realise you were so upset by this. Do let me know where I have been less than adequate in a response and I wil endeavour to answer.

In return would you post in the cognitive bias thread?

West London

"I think that the Op was trying to use support for the England football as an analogy for Brexit. Sadly it seems, he doesn’t understand either. Football or the EU"

No. I support the England football team.

I'm using the analogy of expecting support for the England football team to change their performance.

Sadly you don't seem to understand the analogy so I am now helping

[Removed by poster at 23/06/18 06:28:47]

"I think that the Op was trying to use support for the England football as an analogy for Brexit. Sadly it seems, he doesn’t understand either. Football or the EU

I'm using the analogy of expecting support for the England football team to change their performance.

Sadly you don't seem to understand the analogy so I am now helping "

No you aren’t. You just asked if getting behind the football team was a sensible point of view. Nothing to do with changing their performance

The problem is that they're trying to play that namby pamby tikki tako like those continentals.

Wouldn’t have happened if they’d played a proper four four facking two.

Long ball up to Crouchy who knocks it down for Jamie Vardy who screams “BREXIT MEANS BREXIT” while he thundercunts it into the top corner!"

Haha Brilliant !.Does this mean after brexit we will go back to proper English football.I miss the hopefull long balls smashed up field.The refusal to play out from the back was our trade mark style before we went all euro girlie ball.

thornaby

Trust you lot to drag brexit into the World Cup lol can imagine one of you at a funeral if we had stayed in the EU I bet Albert would be still here with us now lol

I am not really a football fan apart from watching England, Scotland and any other home nation in the world cup. I do hope England win it but it seems unlikely as they were poor in the last game ....but fingers crossed xx

West London

"I think that the Op was trying to use support for the England football as an analogy for Brexit. Sadly it seems, he doesn’t understand either. Football or the EU

Sadly you don't seem to understand the analogy so I am now helping

No you aren’t. You just asked if getting behind the football team was a sensible point of view. Nothing to do with changing their performance "

Ah right. You are telling me what I meant in my post but I'm the arrogant one?

If you approached the comment with the assumption that critical analysis of your team or country is somehow unpatriotic, then perhaps you might interpret what a I wrote in that way. However, I didn't. I've clarified any ambiguity but you have ignored that.

I also asked what you think suggests that England will win the World Cup. I said luck as I hope that they will. I was subsequently told that I knew nothing about football and am not a "true" fan but no reasons given for potential England success.

You can do better, but that would require engagement and discussion rather than arguing to "win" some narrow point

West London

"Trust you lot to drag brexit into the World Cup lol can imagine one of you at a funeral if we had stayed in the EU I bet Albert would be still here with us now lol"

Actually that was your chum Ben.

I will admit to wanting to know how the mindset of supporting a national team aligned with Brexit as the arguments seem so similar. However, it's more to understand the way of thinking.

So, do you think England will win if supporters get behind them? What % difference will it make to their performance?

How do you rate their chances and based on what criteria that are wildly different to mine which are apparently foolish.

Sometimes U.K

"England will not make it past the QF’s, at best. "

Let’s wait and see...

The 12th man effect might have an effect when your playing at home as you out number the travelling fans.

Is brexit playing at home ?.

I would say it's mostly playing away with the rest of the world.

Cannock

"I am not really a football fan apart from watching England, Scotland and any other home nation in the world cup. I do hope England win it but it seems unlikely as they were poor in the last game ....but fingers crossed xx "

Playing poorly and still winning is a sign of a good team that can grind out results when things are going against you. That's what England did in the 2nd half against Tunisia. I thought England were poor in the 2nd half but played really well in the first half of the Tunisia game.

West London

"I am not really a football fan apart from watching England, Scotland and any other home nation in the world cup. I do hope England win it but it seems unlikely as they were poor in the last game ....but fingers crossed xx

Playing poorly and still winning is a sign of a good team that can grind out results when things are going against you. That's what England did in the 2nd half against Tunisia. I thought England were poor in the 2nd half but played really well in the first half of the Tunisia game. "

How much of a difference do you think that British fans "getting behind them" in the UK made?

Did Mexico's fans believing more cause them to beat Germany?

Do stronger teams usually beat weaker ones?

What makes you believe that they are more likely to win the World Cup than Portugal based on their previous and current performance?

Why will England win the tournament based on your footballing knowledge?

Bristol East

Well, my first bet is down the pan - Iceland to win their group at 14/1.

Still one more - Portugal to play England in the final at 50/1

thornaby

"I am not really a football fan apart from watching England, Scotland and any other home nation in the world cup. I do hope England win it but it seems unlikely as they were poor in the last game ....but fingers crossed xx

Playing poorly and still winning is a sign of a good team that can grind out results when things are going against you. That's what England did in the 2nd half against Tunisia. I thought England were poor in the 2nd half but played really well in the first half of the Tunisia game.

How much of a difference do you think that British fans "getting behind them" in the UK made?

What makes you believe that they are more likely to win the World Cup than Portugal based on their previous and current performance?

Why will England win the tournament based on your footballing knowledge?"

rather than just coming in here and asking questions 5 in this post alone why don’t you come on and answer them ? Why won’t england win the World Cup rather than Portugal ? Do weaker teams beat stronger teams ? Is there anything wrong with English fans getting behind there own team and enjoying the World Cup ? If england won the World Cup would you go out and party like you’ve never partied before like the rest of the country

West London

Why will England win the tournament based on your footballing knowledge? rather than just coming in here and asking questions 5 in this post alone why don’t you come on and answer them ? Why won’t england win the World Cup rather than Portugal ? Do weaker teams beat stronger teams ? Is there anything wrong with English fans getting behind there own team and enjoying the World Cup ? If england won the World Cup would you go out and party like you’ve never partied before like the rest of the country "

Actually, the entire post is about answering these questions. Why are you writing anything here at all if you don't want to engage? You've accused me of not answering questions that you've asked but failed to identify any other than those that this thread is based on.

Shall we start with england being ranked 12 in the world by FIFA and Portugal 4?

How about yes stronger teams do usually beat weaker ones?

There is nothing wrong with supporting England and rejoicing in their victory. However, I actually wanted to know how much difference that makes to their performance and why should anyone demand that that they do?

Your turn

Why will England win the tournament based on your footballing knowledge? rather than just coming in here and asking questions 5 in this post alone why don’t you come on and answer them ? Why won’t england win the World Cup rather than Portugal ? Do weaker teams beat stronger teams ? Is there anything wrong with English fans getting behind there own team and enjoying the World Cup ? If england won the World Cup would you go out and party like you’ve never partied before like the rest of the country

Actually, the entire post is about answering these questions. Why are you writing anything here at all if you don't want to engage? You've accused me of not answering questions that you've asked but failed to identify any other than those that this thread is based on.

Shall we start with england being ranked 12 in the world by FIFA and Portugal 4?

How about yes stronger teams do usually beat weaker ones?

There is nothing wrong with supporting England and rejoicing in their victory. However, I actually wanted to know how much difference that makes to their performance and why should anyone demand that that they do?

Your turn "

You’re talking to a brick wall, mate. He doesn’t get it!

Cannock

Why will England win the tournament based on your footballing knowledge?"

If the England fans getting behind the team makes just 1% positive difference then it's worth it in my view. Do you think the England fans getting behind the team is a positive or a negative?

As for Mexico as i said in an earlier post the manager/coach is a big believer in positive mental attitude and instills it into the team. It's obviously working for Mexico because they won their 2nd game against South Korea earlier today. Top sports individuals and teams alike have to have a positive mental attitude, without it then I wouldn't expect them to get very far.

Argentina look like a very talented team on paper and have one of the best individual players in the world with Lionel Messi, but you can see from the body language of the team in the 2 matches they've had (2 losses) there is no belief there and they have no team spirit or confidence.

Do stronger teams usually beat weaker ones? Sometimes they do yes but sometimes weaker teams beat stronger ones and we've already had plenty of examples in the world cup.

West London

If the England fans getting behind the team makes just 1% positive difference then it's worth it in my view. Do you think the England fans getting behind the team is a positive or a negative?

As for Mexico as i said in an earlier post the manager/coach is a big believer in positive mental attitude and instills it into the team. It's obviously working for Mexico because they won their 2nd game against South Korea earlier today. Top sports individuals and teams alike have to have a positive mental attitude, without it then I wouldn't expect them to get very far.

Argentina look like a very talented team on paper and have one of the best individual players in the world with Lionel Messi, but you can see from the body language of the team in the 2 matches they've had (2 losses) there is no belief there and they have no team spirit or confidence.

Do stronger teams usually beat weaker ones? Sometimes they do yes but sometimes weaker teams beat stronger ones and we've already had plenty of examples in the world cup.

"

Thank you. It's taking some time but we're finally getting to something interesting.

I agree that support for a national team can improve their performance. In a domestic competition (like the London Olympics) it can have a huge effect. However, the support has to be spontaneous and heartfelt don't you think?

Demanding people for support and calling them names is likely to have the opposite effect. Do you think North Korea's "fans" would lift a team?

A team believing in itself is quite different to having external support.

Belgium beat Tunisia 5-2 and Germany beat Sweden 2-1.

What significance does that have? I've also suggested reasons why weaker teams may win, but that remains very much the exception doesn't it?

Perhaps positive thinking is getting Mexico through. Perhaps the positive thinking is coming from the confidence in the hard work from training and tactics that they've been employing rather than trusting in just being exceptional?

Equally I am more inclined to putting Argentina's poor performance down to bad preparation than not being positive.

If you do support a team is it right to be completely uncritical of them? If they play or behave badly do you shrug your shoulders and say that it's fine and nothing has to change or improve? If completely disastrous team selections and tactics are employed do you not call for managers to be replaced? Isn't that still supporting your team?

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple  over a year ago

Dudley

Thank you. It's taking some time but we're finally getting to something interesting.

I agree that support for a national team can improve their performance. In a domestic competition (like the London Olympics) it can have a huge effect. However, the support has to be spontaneous and heartfelt don't you think?

Demanding people for support and calling them names is likely to have the opposite effect. Do you think North Korea's "fans" would lift a team?

A team believing in itself is quite different to having external support.

Belgium beat Tunisia 5-2 and Germany beat Sweden 2-1.

What significance does that have? I've also suggested reasons why weaker teams may win, but that remains very much the exception doesn't it?

Perhaps positive thinking is getting Mexico through. Perhaps the positive thinking is coming from the confidence in the hard work from training and tactics that they've been employing rather than trusting in just being exceptional?

Equally I am more inclined to putting Argentina's poor performance down to bad preparation than not being positive.

If you do support a team is it right to be completely uncritical of them? If they play or behave badly do you shrug your shoulders and say that it's fine and nothing has to change or improve? If completely disastrous team selections and tactics are employed do you not call for managers to be replaced? Isn't that still supporting your team? "

He's leading it back to brexit, mark my words!

thornaby

Ain’t he just he’s not the only one on here tho lol

Cannock

"Ain’t he just he’s not the only one on here tho lol "

To busy grinning like a Cheshire cat at England winning 5-0 against Panama at half time to care.

West London

So far on this thread I've been accused of:

Not knowing what I meant when I started the thread

Not understanding football

Not being a football fan

Asking questions but not answering them

Wanting to talk about Brexit

I'm quite happy for you to do this if you can back your statements up.

However, Centaur has finally got around to starting to think about the question although most of my accusers have transparently failed to actually engage with the topic. It would be far more interesting if you could all give that a go rather than going off on some diversion. Otherwise, why post on the thread?

By *ustcantgetenuf50Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

It's hardly political, I'm scunnered already with the world cup, 2 games and you think they in the final, come on get a grip. If they make it to the semi final, then that's the time to think yes they might just be lucky AGAIN

By *irty-GentlemanMan  over a year ago

Norbreck-Blackpool

C'mon friggin Mexico beat the All mighty Germans.. Anything goes in Russia... But you're sooo right Glasweigan girl.. But Best win ever Harry Kane top scorer.. So maybe you're a wee bit jealous :* aye

thornaby

Still not see a team that england should fear its wide open

"Still not see a team that england should fear its wide open "

Conversely, no team should fear England.

thornaby

Why not we’ve been as good as Spain Portugal Belgian no team as played better up till now that is

"Why not "

Because, much like it was for Russia, it's easy to look good against minnows.

Bristol East

You can only beat the team in front of you

thornaby

Exactly

"Why not we’ve been as good as Spain Portugal Belgian no team as played better up till now that is "

Uch come on youv played the mighty tunisia and panama lol id say spain portugal and Belgium have all played better

thornaby

Belgium played the same teams as us there in our group lmao Spain and Portugal were really poor at the back great going forward but that’s always same with them but I’d expect nothing else from a scot lol

"Belgium played the same teams as us there in our group lmao Spain and Portugal were really poor at the back great going forward but that’s always same with them but I’d expect nothing else from a scot lol"

Spain and Portugal, as you point out, have played each other.

What side have England faced so far this world cup that would be of comparative strength to either of those?

"Belgium played the same teams as us there in our group lmao Spain and Portugal were really poor at the back great going forward but that’s always same with them but I’d expect nothing else from a scot lol"

Whats my nationality got to do with it ? Yous have played no one yet id put money on all 3 teams you mentioned to beat england quite comfortably

thornaby

"Belgium played the same teams as us there in our group lmao Spain and Portugal were really poor at the back great going forward but that’s always same with them but I’d expect nothing else from a scot lol

What side have England faced so far this world cup that would be of comparative strength to either of those?"

yes they did and it was a draw both failed to win lol

thornaby

"Belgium played the same teams as us there in our group lmao Spain and Portugal were really poor at the back great going forward but that’s always same with them but I’d expect nothing else from a scot lol

Whats my nationality got to do with it ? Yous have played no one yet id put money on all 3 teams you mentioned to beat england quite comfortably "

is put money on you been over joyed if we get beat thanx for your support tho new we could count on a fellow Brit lol

Whats my nationality got to do with it ? Yous have played no one yet id put money on all 3 teams you mentioned to beat england quite comfortably is put money on you been over joyed if we get beat thanx for your support tho new we could count on a fellow Brit lol"

Im scottish never british i couldnt care less if yous win or lose im just stating a fact that yous havent played a half decent team yet until then id not be shouting about fearing no one ,oh and get cpl quid on Belgium 3-1

What side have England faced so far this world cup that would be of comparative strength to either of those? yes they did and it was a draw both failed to win lol"

Try again.

thornaby

Whats my nationality got to do with it ? Yous have played no one yet id put money on all 3 teams you mentioned to beat england quite comfortably is put money on you been over joyed if we get beat thanx for your support tho new we could count on a fellow Brit lol

Im scottish never british i couldnt care less if yous win or lose im just stating a fact that yous havent played a half decent team yet until then id not be shouting about fearing no one ,oh and get cpl quid on Belgium 3-1 "

the only top teams to play each other yet are Spain and Portugal and it was a draw lol well we will see Thursday night then won’t we

Cannock

Whats my nationality got to do with it ? Yous have played no one yet id put money on all 3 teams you mentioned to beat england quite comfortably "

Spain couldn't beat Morocco, yes I'll say it again, Morocco, lol, yes Panama are minnows but England beat them comfortably. Morocco are minnows and Spain couldn't beat them. Iceland are minnows and Argentina couldn't beat them. Some of the favourite teams have not beat the minnows in their groups.

By *essica jamiesonWoman  over a year ago

edinburgh

England winning!! Hahahaha! Yip im scottish " b4 u say u wudnt expect any less from a scot" they start getting cocky and will be out v soon! England winning hahaha!

thornaby

If that’s what you think great crack on I always cheer on all the British teams in any sport but that’s just me

West London

Children

By *yn drwgMan  over a year ago

Camarthen

I think England can reach the quarter finals, possibly semis depending on the draw but apart from a few players they really don't have the class to go further. And the media will shaft them!

Whats my nationality got to do with it ? Yous have played no one yet id put money on all 3 teams you mentioned to beat england quite comfortably

Spain couldn't beat Morocco, yes I'll say it again, Morocco, lol, yes Panama are minnows but England beat them comfortably. Morocco are minnows and Spain couldn't beat them. Iceland are minnows and Argentina couldn't beat them. Some of the favourite teams have not beat the minnows in their groups."

Neither Morocco (41st in FIFA rankings) nor Iceland (22nd) are minnows.

Meanwhile Panama are 55th in world rankings.

England fans, always wrong about everything.

Spain couldn't beat Morocco, yes I'll say it again, Morocco, lol, yes Panama are minnows but England beat them comfortably. Morocco are minnows and Spain couldn't beat them. Iceland are minnows and Argentina couldn't beat them. Some of the favourite teams have not beat the minnows in their groups."

Hmmm if iceland are minnows what does that make england as they put them out the euros lol

Spain couldn't beat Morocco, yes I'll say it again, Morocco, lol, yes Panama are minnows but England beat them comfortably. Morocco are minnows and Spain couldn't beat them. Iceland are minnows and Argentina couldn't beat them. Some of the favourite teams have not beat the minnows in their groups.

Hmmm if iceland are minnows what does that make england as they put them out the euros lol"

Overhyped and under talented.

thornaby

Well we will all find out in next few weeks won’t we if we get knocked out u can all go out and get d*unk to celabrate lol but you have to be init to win it guys lol

"Well we will all find out in next few weeks won’t we if we get knocked out u can all go out and get d*unk to celabrate lol but you have to be init to win it guys lol"

Mind get few quid on Belgium 3-1 easy money

Cannock

"

On that basis then England beat Tunisia who are placed above Morocco and Iceland in the Fifa world rankings.

Tunisia are placed 21st in the Fifa world rankings.

If Morocco and Iceland and not minnows using your logic Tunisia are even less of a minnow as they are placed above Morocco (who Spain couldn't beat) and Iceland (who Argentina couldn't beat), and England beat Tunisia.

You haven't really thought this through have you.

Cannock

"Well we will all find out in next few weeks won’t we if we get knocked out u can all go out and get d*unk to celabrate lol but you have to be init to win it guys lol

Mind get few quid on Belgium 3-1 easy money "

If you want to lose money best to put a bet on Andy Murray to win Wimbledon.

On that basis then England beat Tunisia who are placed above Morocco and Iceland in the Fifa world rankings.

If Morocco and Iceland and not minnows using your logic Tunisia are even less of a minnow as they are placed above Morocco (who Spain couldn't beat) and Iceland (who Argentina couldn't beat), and England beat Tunisia.

You haven't really thought this through have you. "

Spain and argentina would gub england quite easily

"Well we will all find out in next few weeks won’t we if we get knocked out u can all go out and get d*unk to celabrate lol but you have to be init to win it guys lol

Mind get few quid on Belgium 3-1 easy money

If you want to lose money best to put a bet on Andy Murray to win Wimbledon. "

Ofcourse he wont win Wimbledon hes been injured for months plus im not a big murray fan ,il take the easy money on Belgium to win and a wee 3-1 too it will pay for my beers for the wkend

You haven't really thought this through have you. "

Oh, I have.

Scraping a late injury time winner against Tunisia isn't a great achievement. If England are supposed to be a team that other sides should fear, they ought to be more convincing against teams like Tunisia.

Teams like Morocco, Tunisia and Iceland ought to be able to hold teams like Spain and England to an draw on a quite good day, or lose by a lucky goal. And all those teams have been having a good run this WC.

Pointing at Spain and Morocco and going "we scraped a win vs Tunisia at the death, therefore we're better than Spain" is the shortsightedness that makes England's inevitable knockout all the sweeter.

Also, Argentina are really not a strong side this WC, and there's only so far Messi can drag them.

They certainly didn't deserve to get out of their group today.

So if you're looking for actual WC contenders to make inaccurate comparisons to England with, you're doing it wrong.

By *xplorer13Man  over a year ago

glenrothes

"Hopefully not.

Even the 50th anniversary had special programmes, FFS."

It wasn't a solitary victory, they played many more matches to win the cup, if Scotland ever won it, which in my life time is a joke, you had your time in 78 but fucked up, but if you had won it, you would be belting it out bud.

thornaby

Germany out WOW didn’t see that coming before the World Cup lol

Cannock

"Trust you lot to drag brexit into the World Cup lol can imagine one of you at a funeral if we had stayed in the EU I bet Albert would be still here with us now lol

I will admit to wanting to know how the mindset of supporting a national team aligned with Brexit as the arguments seem so similar. However, it's more to understand the way of thinking.

So, do you think England will win if supporters get behind them? What % difference will it make to their performance?

How do you rate their chances and based on what criteria that are wildly different to mine which are apparently foolish."

The OP (and others on this thread) have based their thinking on strength of teams on paper and history of teams performance which is reflected in the fifa world ranking positions. Well the World cup holders, and number 1 in the fifa world ranking positions, Germany just lost 2-0 to Korea, lol.

Germany are now out of the World Cup, Haha.

I don't think this thread is going the way the OP thought it would and his criteria for success of a team certainly isn't going to plan.

"Germany out WOW didn’t see that coming before the World Cup lol"

It's not that surprising, they never really got going.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"England have as much chance of winning the cup as the nhs has getting 350million of the tories and thats no fcking chance lol "

They've got more chance than Germany.

West London

"Trust you lot to drag brexit into the World Cup lol can imagine one of you at a funeral if we had stayed in the EU I bet Albert would be still here with us now lol

How do you rate their chances and based on what criteria that are wildly different to mine which are apparently foolish.

The OP (and others on this thread) have based their thinking on strength of teams on paper and history of teams performance which is reflected in the fifa world ranking positions. Well the World cup holders, and number 1 in the fifa world ranking positions, Germany just lost 2-0 to Korea, lol.

Germany are now out of the World Cup, Haha.

I don't think this thread is going the way the OP thought it would and his criteria for success of a team certainly isn't going to plan. "

No Centaur. The OP would very much like England to win the World Cup.

You've misunderstood the post from the start, as you do most things.

The OP bases most of his judgements on what is most likely to happen next on the world as it is and what has gone before.

How would you wish to base rankings for anything Centaur other than on the current basis?

Do you think that all of these results have been surprising or completely predictable?

The OP still wants to know how much difference fans "getting behind" their teams is having.

thornaby

Results very surprising and the fans give the team that all important feel good factor it’s always better to have the fans with you than against

Does having the fans in your side help ? Yes, 64% of points come from the home team. While there may be other factors here than simply the crowd it helps put some parameters around it, all things being equal.

But Would I rather play at home with ten men or away with eleven. Away. There are bigger factors to success than home support.

Given the Germany results do I now think the bookies are bad at their job and willing to make predictions based on blind faith ? No. I accept the nature of their job is based on the balance of probabilities. Likewise if we were to restart the World Cup I’d still have Germany up there.

By *urve BallWoman  over a year ago

North London

"Germany out WOW didn’t see that coming before the World Cup lol"

This is what happens when someone thinks too highly of themselves. A (misplaced) sense of greatness whether justified or not leads, in effect, into believing your own hype, thus underestimating opponents as non-threatening and discovering, in the process, the truth in "hubris before nemesis".

An allegory, you say?

thornaby

"Germany out WOW didn’t see that coming before the World Cup lol

This is what happens when someone thinks too highly of themselves. A (misplaced) sense of greatness whether justified or not leads, in effect, into believing your own hype, thus underestimating opponents as non-threatening and discovering, in the process, the truth in "hubris before nemesis".

An allegory, you say? "

don’t think the Germans underestimated there opponents at all it happens often in sport sometimes you lose your form and it won’t click but they will be back better and stronger in 4 yrs it happened to us last World Cup

Dudley

An allegory, you say? "

My first car was an Allegory!

Dudley

An allegory, you say?

My first car was an Allegory! "

Quickly changed it to an Austin What's That Knocking Noise in the Boot!

Bristol East

Pah! The World Cup just won't be the same now without Germany beating England on penalties

"Pah! The World Cup just won't be the same now without Germany beating England on penalties

"

I'm sure lots of teams would be up to that minor task.

thornaby

"Pah! The World Cup just won't be the same now without Germany beating England on penalties

I'm sure lots of teams would be up to that minor task."

lmao I’m sure you would love to see england go out on penalty’s

Bristol East

I'm sure lots of teams would be up to that minor task.lmao I’m sure you would love to see england go out on penalty’s "

Only in the final - I have £10 on Portugal playing England in the last match

I'm sure lots of teams would be up to that minor task.lmao I’m sure you would love to see england go out on penalty’s "

I'd rather see them thumped in regular time, leaving them no room to hide or make excuses.

Though for a team that "should be feared" England are trying their damnedest to avoid outright winning this.

Guess they're afraid of Brazil....

thornaby

I'm sure lots of teams would be up to that minor task.lmao I’m sure you would love to see england go out on penalty’s

I'd rather see them thumped in regular time, leaving them no room to hide or make excuses."

if your not that keen on the English why the fuck are you on the uk fab site then you fool get a life

England UK

thornaby

Lol my mistake england fab he’s a tool wonder why he’s been on fab a year and still not had a meet bless him lol

I'm sure lots of teams would be up to that minor task.lmao I’m sure you would love to see england go out on penalty’s

I'd rather see them thumped in regular time, leaving them no room to hide or make excuses. if your not that keen on the English why the fuck are you on the uk fab site then you fool get a life "

English people letting the mask slip and forgetting the other bits of the UK is something that never gets old.

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

"Lol my mistake england fab he’s a tool wonder why he’s been on fab a year and still not had a meet bless him lol"

Is fab just english then? Cause I thought we had Welsh, Scots, Irish, Northern Irish, Aussies and Americans on here. Not to mention a few mainland european and canadian residents.

English think they bloody own everything...

Well, England have put themselves in the easier half of the knockouts with that.

That being said, Columbia will not be intimidated based on that.

thornaby

I’d of rather they won kept up the momentum but your right they have the easier run in but that team we seen tonight won’t be the team we see on Tuesday

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

I think England now have a chance of a semifinal place if fit take out Sterling from the number 10 position and if fit Dele in the number 10 position where he plays for Tottenham together with Kane

Sometimes U.K

"English think they bloody own everything..."

What does that mean?

Obviously you’re either non English or a non footie fan..which is it?

"English think they bloody own everything...

What does that mean?

Obviously you’re either non English or a non footie fan..which is it? "

Apparently the option of being a football fan but not English isn't possible.

Sometimes U.K

What does that mean?

Apparently the option of being a football fan but not English isn't possible."

Yet you haven’t answered the question?

What does that mean?

Apparently the option of being a football fan but not English isn't possible.

Yet you haven’t answered the question?"

Well, they do say that there are two types of people in the world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data and

What does that mean?

Apparently the option of being a football fan but not English isn't possible."

im lost. Wouldn’t you answer the question non English ?

Arguably being a non English non footie fan would struggle to answer fully ...

What does that mean?

Apparently the option of being a football fan but not English isn't possible.im lost. Wouldn’t you answer the question non English ?

Arguably being a non English non footie fan would struggle to answer fully ..."

It's not worth answering. Foxy made the mistake thinking it's an English site only. You can change your location to multiple places in the world. Sometimes things do not revolve around England only like on this global swinging site.

But as an English England fan I hope they win but need to up their game to get far.

What does that mean?

Apparently the option of being a football fan but not English isn't possible.im lost. Wouldn’t you answer the question non English ?

It's not worth answering. Foxy made the mistake thinking it's an English site only. You can change your location to multiple places in the world. Sometimes things do not revolve around England only like on this global swinging site.

But as an English England fan I hope they win but need to up their game to get far."

Non English (British) England fan.

thornaby

What does that mean?

But as an English England fan I hope they win but need to up their game to get far."

I didn’t make the mistake of thinking it’s an English site only I just wonder why a Canadian comes on the uk fab to put down the English team

"I didn’t make the mistake of thinking it’s an English site only I just wonder why a Canadian comes on the uk fab to put down the English team "

It's bad form to try and rewrite the past, when the past is a matter of record, and literally about a dozen posts above the one where you claim that what happened actually didn't.

Also, I know this is really complicated, but sometimes a persons current location, is not the same place, or even the same country, as the one in which they were born.

Shocking, I know.

Bristol East

WWW. . . bit of a clue in the title there.

It's the feckin' worldwide web.

And I for one am glad because it means I am not trapped on these little islands with angry little xenophobes.

I thought England had already won the World Cup the amount of coverage they are getting on BBC Breakfast. Well until this morning that is

thornaby

"WWW. . . bit of a clue in the title there.

And I for one am glad because it means I am not trapped on these little islands with angry little xenophobes.

"

omg I’m not bothered we’re anyone is from I just think it’s shit to come on here and try putdown the country’s team what’s wring with anything iv said on here ?

omg I’m not bothered we’re anyone is from I just think it’s shit to come on here and try putdown the country’s team what’s wring with anything iv said on here ?"

Its the England team the rest of the UK didnt make it.

Wont mention the thread that wanted Germany to lose then

thornaby

What was said about Germany like iv not seen that ?

What does that mean?

But as an English England fan I hope they win but need to up their game to get far. I didn’t make the mistake of thinking it’s an English site only I just wonder why a Canadian comes on the uk fab to put down the English team "

This isn't the UK forum. The UK forum is the UK fab forum. This forum is for all users of fab. Am I wrong?

omg I’m not bothered we’re anyone is from I just think it’s shit to come on here and try putdown the country’s team what’s wring with anything iv said on here ?

Wont mention the thread that wanted Germany to lose then "

Funny the German and English rivalry is one way. Germans were supporting England against Panama. Their commentators were saying nice things about the England team.

Their rival is the Dutch.

Funny the German and English rivalry is one way. Germans were supporting England against Panama. Their commentators were saying nice things about the England team.

Their rival is the Dutch."

Finding this out a few years ago made every time the English press treat an England Vs Germany game as a rerun of WW2 even more hilariously pathetic.

All that sound and fury about putting one over on the Germans and they're not even that fussed.

By *xplorer13Man  over a year ago

glenrothes

"You can only beat the team in front of you

The Scots didn't in the qualifiers

"

Finding this out a few years ago made every time the English press treat an England Vs Germany game as a rerun of WW2 even more hilariously pathetic.

All that sound and fury about putting one over on the Germans and they're not even that fussed."

And you found that out by conversing with Germans did you?

All that sound and fury about putting one over on the Germans and they're not even that fussed.

And you found that out by conversing with Germans did you?"

Actually, yes.

And you found that out by conversing with Germans did you?

Actually, yes."

In German?

If you must know, in English.

I trust this little aside hasn't been as utterly without merit for you, as it has been for me.

"If you must know, in English.

I trust this little aside hasn't been as utterly without merit for you, as it has been for me."

It sure hasn’t. Just seems strange that someone who dislikes the English so much can only speak English