FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > If we had joined the Euro...

If we had joined the Euro...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *LCC OP   Couple  over a year ago

Cambridge

If we had joined the Euro back when it started or shortly after, yet still had the referendum in 2016, would the result have been the same, or more leave or more remain votes?

Please give your reasoning.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple  over a year ago

Dudley

"If we had joined the Euro back when it started or shortly after, yet still had the referendum in 2016, would the result have been the same, or more leave or more remain votes?

Please give your reasoning."

We didn't so it doesn't matter!

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

I doubt it would have made much difference and if it did I expect it would have been in favour of out.

Fact is the majority who voted out did so based on feelings and like it or not if we had joined the Euro there would have been a group who would have voted out in order to get the £ back.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"If we had joined the Euro back when it started or shortly after, yet still had the referendum in 2016, would the result have been the same, or more leave or more remain votes?

If we had joined the euro we would have been even more intwined in the euro mess,we could not have got out,there would not have been a referendum.

The country would I am sure been in a very big economic crisis and probably a hell of a lot more than 52% would have wanted out but there would have been no way the country would have been in ruin by now.Examples Italy,Spain,Greece,Portugal to name a few.

Thank god we are leaving eventually

By *urve BallWoman  over a year ago

North London

Please give your reasoning.If we had joined the euro we would have been even more intwined in the euro mess,we could not have got out,there would not have been a referendum.

The country would I am sure been in a very big economic crisis and probably a hell of a lot more than 52% would have wanted out but there would have been no way the country would have been in ruin by now.Examples Italy,Spain,Greece,Portugal to name a few.

Thank god we are leaving eventually"

Why there wouldn't have been a referendum? If anything, I'd have thought that there would have been a referendum, only much earlier than 2016, depending on whether it was a goo

It's difficult to predict how the Euro would have worked out for us. I don't think we can compare ourselves to the other European countries because our economy is quite different to theirs. While it worked for some countries, it definitely didn't for others. Keeping our currency was, in my view, an example of us choosing to stick with the status quo.

By *urve BallWoman  over a year ago

North London

*depending on whether it was a good fit or not.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The Euro was introduced 50 years too early by incompetent half wits and will mean the end of the EU

Please give your reasoning.If we had joined the euro we would have been even more intwined in the euro mess,we could not have got out,there would not have been a referendum.

Why are you cherry picking examples.

The UK economy is totally different.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

The UK economy is totally different. "

Isn't that what's wrong with the Euro though? The economies of the EU are very diverse, having one common currency across them has caused major problems domestically to a number of them.

Cambridge

Isn't that what's wrong with the Euro though? The economies of the EU are very diverse, having one common currency across them has caused major problems domestically to a number of them."

Couldn't the same be said for the US, Indian and Chinese economies?

Isn't that what's wrong with the Euro though? The economies of the EU are very diverse, having one common currency across them has caused major problems domestically to a number of them.

Couldn't the same be said for the US, Indian and Chinese economies? "

No.

But even if it could, does that make it right?

Cambridge

No.

But even if it could, does that make it right?"

No?

So in your mind the economies of Alaska and New York are similar? Or at least more similar than those of France and Spain?

The same for say Shanghai and Ngari, or Mumbai and Kohima?

No.

No?

So in your mind the economies of Alaska and New York are similar? Or at least more similar than those of France and Spain?

"

You obviously don’t understand the requirements of making a single currency work. Your argument is childish at best

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"

You are aware that the Northern European countries (industrialised, economic powerhouses) are benefitting tremendously from the Euro.

Comparing the U.K. and its economy to those of Spain, Greece and Portugal is way off the mark.

Cambridge

No.

No?

You obviously don’t understand the requirements of making a single currency work. Your argument is childish at best "

Why don't you explain it to me then, I have given examples of more populous currency unions with greater geographical spread, if it works there, why can't it work in Europe? Please bear in mind that countries only joined the Eurozone at the behest of the democratically elected heads of government.

No.

No?

You obviously don’t understand the requirements of making a single currency work. Your argument is childish at best

Why don't you explain it to me then, I have given examples of more populous currency unions with greater geographical spread, if it works there, why can't it work in Europe? Please bear in mind that countries only joined the Eurozone at the behest of the democratically elected heads of government. "

Because in Europe there are 19 different institutions all pulling in different directions! The EU with their ill thought out rushed ideologies put the horse before the cart! and have ruined the futures of millions of people!

"

You are aware that the Northern European countries (industrialised, economic powerhouses) are benefitting tremendously from the Euro.

Comparing the U.K. and its economy to those of Spain, Greece and Portugal is way off the mark."

No they are not! Granted they have done better out of it than the southern countries but since its introduction even Germany’s growth has been sluggish at best

Cart before the horse even

Cambridge

No.

No?

Why don't you explain it to me then, I have given examples of more populous currency unions with greater geographical spread, if it works there, why can't it work in Europe? Please bear in mind that countries only joined the Eurozone at the behest of the democratically elected heads of government.

Because in Europe there are 19 different institutions all pulling in different directions! The EU with their ill thought out rushed ideologies put the horse before the cart! and have ruined the futures of millions of people!"

And in China, India and the U.S. you have states and regions with different economic policies, so how is that any different? If a currency union works for them, why can't it work for the EU?

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

here here

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

Isn't that what's wrong with the Euro though? The economies of the EU are very diverse, having one common currency across them has caused major problems domestically to a number of them."

ask your average Italian what they think of the euro .most can't stand it ....enough said

Cambridge

Isn't that what's wrong with the Euro though? The economies of the EU are very diverse, having one common currency across them has caused major problems domestically to a number of them.ask your average Italian what they think of the euro .most can't stand it ....enough said "

I asked you on another thread and you didn't answer. Have any Italian political parties run on a manifesto to hold a referendum to pull out of the EU or Eurozone? If they all hate it so much, that would be an obvious vote winner.

No.

No?

Because in Europe there are 19 different institutions all pulling in different directions! The EU with their ill thought out rushed ideologies put the horse before the cart! and have ruined the futures of millions of people!

And in China, India and the U.S. you have states and regions with different economic policies, so how is that any different? If a currency union works for them, why can't it work for the EU? "

Oh dear.

Well it obviously doesn’t work for the EU does it? So you tell me why that is?

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

"Ihe EU with their ill thought out rushed ideologies put the horse before the cart! and have ruined the futures of millions of people!"

Er, not quite.

Think back to the fall of the Berlin Wall and the prospect of German re-unification.

Enlargement of the EU territory required agreement of the EU.

The French was terrified of all-powerful Germany again.

The price extracted by the French president - Mitterand? - was that Germany must enter into a single currency with other countries, in return for re-unification.

The idea to bind together countries with the economy of Germany was meant to ensure it could never become too powerful.

Politically, it was the right thing to do. Economically, it required centralisation of policy to make it work and that never happened.

Contrast the Eurozone with the Sterlingzone.

A single currency across the nations of the UK, and economic policy centralised. That works.

For the Euro to work, policy needs to be centralised and applied commonly across the zone. Politically, that is difficult, however.

The UK is one of the most centralised countries in Europe, even with devolution. Whether the Eurozone members want to go down the same route is another question.

Cambridge

No.

No?

And in China, India and the U.S. you have states and regions with different economic policies, so how is that any different? If a currency union works for them, why can't it work for the EU?

Oh dear.

Well it obviously doesn’t work for the EU does it? So you tell me why that is?"

Doesn't it? Why don't you tell me why no country has ever left the Eurozone then if it's so bad, or why no country has ever had a referendum to leave the Eurozone?

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

No.

No?

And in China, India and the U.S. you have states and regions with different economic policies, so how is that any different? If a currency union works for them, why can't it work for the EU? "

Do you think it's working for all countries in the Euro then?

No.

No?

Oh dear.

Well it obviously doesn’t work for the EU does it? So you tell me why that is?

Doesn't it? Why don't you tell me why no country has ever left the Eurozone then if it's so bad, or why no country has ever had a referendum to leave the Eurozone?"

Because when you are in hock to the bank it’s kinda hard isn’t it?! If it had been possible/easy, some would have walked years ago.

Are you seriously trying to say that the Euro has been a success?

Cambridge

No.

No?

Do you think it's working for all countries in the Euro then?"

I think the Eurozone countries are much better at judging if it's working for them or not than I am. As no country has left, nor had a referendum on leaving, that says to me that they think it's the best option for them, wouldn't you agree?

No.

No?

I think the Eurozone countries are much better at judging if it's working for them or not than I am. As no country has left, nor had a referendum on leaving, that says to me that they think it's the best option for them, wouldn't you agree? "

Not at all.

Cambridge

No.

No?

I think the Eurozone countries are much better at judging if it's working for them or not than I am. As no country has left, nor had a referendum on leaving, that says to me that they think it's the best option for them, wouldn't you agree?

Not at all. "

No, no, you're probably right, you know better than all of the combined Eurozone countries combined!

No.

No?

Not at all.

No, no, you're probably right, you know better than all of the combined Eurozone countries combined! "

See above. Once you are in it’s nigh on impossible to get out. The only options would be to scrap the Euro completely or create a two tier north/south Euro

" The EU with their ill thought out rushed ideologies put the horse before the cart! and have ruined the futures of millions of people!"

Bit rich to talk about ill thought out policies

Let's see what the future holds.

Cambridge

No.

No?

Not at all.

No, no, you're probably right, you know better than all of the combined Eurozone countries combined!

See above. Once you are in it’s nigh on impossible to get out. The only options would be to scrap the Euro completely or create a two tier north/south Euro "

They all got out of their old currencies easy enough. We are getting out of the EU entirely. How can leaving a part of the EU be harder than leaving the entire thing?

No.

No?

Not at all.

See above. Once you are in it’s nigh on impossible to get out. The only options would be to scrap the Euro completely or create a two tier north/south Euro

They all got out of their old currencies easy enough. We are getting out of the EU entirely. How can leaving a part of the EU be harder than leaving the entire thing? "

Ask your bank manager if you can pay your mortgage with Smarties

Cambridge

No.

No?

Not at all.

They all got out of their old currencies easy enough. We are getting out of the EU entirely. How can leaving a part of the EU be harder than leaving the entire thing?

Ask your bank manager if you can pay your mortgage with Smarties "

So in answer to the OP, you believe that the UK would have voted to remain in the EU had we adopted the Euro?

No.

No?

Not at all.

Ask your bank manager if you can pay your mortgage with Smarties

So in answer to the OP, you believe that the UK would have voted to remain in the EU had we adopted the Euro? "

Pointless question

Cambridge

"

So in answer to the OP, you believe that the UK would have voted to remain in the EU had we adopted the Euro?

Pointless question "

I'll take that as a "yes" then, that the UK would have voted to remain in the EU if we had adopted the Euro

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Pointless question "

The thread is that question though, so you perhaps would have been more suited to another one

"

Pointless question

I'll take that as a "yes" then, that the UK would have voted to remain in the EU if we had adopted the Euro "

Fine. And I’l take it that more countries would have already left the EU if they hadn’t adopted the Euro

Cambridge

"

Pointless question

I'll take that as a "yes" then, that the UK would have voted to remain in the EU if we had adopted the Euro

Fine. And I’l take it that more countries would have already left the EU if they hadn’t adopted the Euro "

And yet reality proves you wrong again. Even more countries have joined the EU since the introduction of the Euro.

"

Pointless question

Fine. And I’l take it that more countries would have already left the EU if they hadn’t adopted the Euro

And yet reality proves you wrong again. Even more countries have joined the EU since the introduction of the Euro. "

How many since 2008?

Cambridge

"

Pointless question

And yet reality proves you wrong again. Even more countries have joined the EU since the introduction of the Euro.

How many since 2008?"

13 countries have joined the EU since the introduction of the Euro, 1 post 2008. Albania, Serbia and Montenegro have all applied to become members of the EU post 2008 as well.

"

Pointless question

How many since 2008?

13 countries have joined the EU since the introduction of the Euro, 1 post 2008. Albania, Serbia and Montenegro have all applied to become members of the EU post 2008 as well. "

That should help with the Euro crisis

Bristol East

"

That should help with the Euro crisis "

What crisis?

Cambridge

"

Pointless question

How many since 2008?

13 countries have joined the EU since the introduction of the Euro, 1 post 2008. Albania, Serbia and Montenegro have all applied to become members of the EU post 2008 as well.

That should help with the Euro crisis "

But aren't these exactly the southern economies that you say are so harmed by the EU? Why are these democratically elected governments applying to join the EU if it's going to be so awful for them?

"

Pointless question

How many since 2008?

But aren't these exactly the southern economies that you say are so harmed by the EU? Why are these democratically elected governments applying to join the EU if it's going to be so awful for them? "

Beats me. Why does the EU want them?

Cambridge

"

Pointless question

How many since 2008?

But aren't these exactly the southern economies that you say are so harmed by the EU? Why are these democratically elected governments applying to join the EU if it's going to be so awful for them?

Beats me. Why does the EU want them?"

Right, there seems to be quite a lot that you don't know.

"

Pointless question

How many since 2008?

Right, there seems to be quite a lot that you don't know."

And quite a lot you have no answer to

Cambridge

"

Pointless question

How many since 2008?

And quite a lot you have no answer to "

I have given you answers. You say more countries will leave if the Euro was introduced, yet more are joining. You imply no more joined after 2008 GLOBAL financial crisis, yet again you were proved wrong.

"

Pointless question

How many since 2008?

I have given you answers. You say more countries will leave if the Euro was introduced, yet more are joining. You imply no more joined after 2008 GLOBAL financial crisis, yet again you were proved wrong. "

I knew all that and wasn’t proven wrong at all. I said I would ‘take ‘ it that more countries would have left the EU if they didn’t have the Euro, just like you ‘took’ it that the UK would have voted remain if we had the Euro. If is a big word and you can take anything you like

Cambridge

"

Pointless question

How many since 2008?

I have given you answers. You say more countries will leave if the Euro was introduced, yet more are joining. You imply no more joined after 2008 GLOBAL financial crisis, yet again you were proved wrong.

I knew all that and wasn’t proven wrong at all. I said I would ‘take ‘ it that more countries would have left the EU if they didn’t have the Euro, just like you ‘took’ it that the UK would have voted remain if we had the Euro. If is a big word and you can take anything you like "

You were the one who said that the UK wouldn't have left, that they wouldn't have been able to, that it would have been too hard.

I doubt you did know all that, otherwise you wouldn't have made yourself look so ignorant by asking.

I think the idea of unwinding ourselves from the euro would have been a tangible enough complication for enough people to be cynical we could manage it unscathed and so vote to remain.

Bristol East

"I think the idea of unwinding ourselves from the euro would have been a tangible enough complication for enough people to be cynical we could manage it unscathed and so vote to remain.

"

Can you imagine the utter mayhem right now if we had two leave votes - Scotland in 2014 and rUK in 2016?

Scotland would be leaving the Sterling single currency.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Britain would have voted to leave, but by a much bigger margin.

After the spendthrift Blair/Brown years Britain would have been in the same financial shit that it found itself in 2008/9.

However being locked into the Euro would have would have limited (nay hamstrung) most of the remedies that were used in the following years.

Quantitative easing? Forget it. Devaluing the currency? not a hope. Government borrowing? Severely restricted.

The so called "Tory Cuts" would have been a walk in the park compared to the austerity measures that would have been imposed by the ECB (see Greece for an example)

Had Britain been in the Euro I think vote leave would have won by something like 65-35.

Cambridge

After the spendthrift Blair/Brown years Britain would have been in the same financial shit that it found itself in 2008/9.

However being locked into the Euro would have would have limited (nay hamstrung) most of the remedies that were used in the following years.

Quantitative easing? Forget it. Devaluing the currency? not a hope. Government borrowing? Severely restricted.

The so called "Tory Cuts" would have been a walk in the park compared to the austerity measures that would have been imposed by the ECB (see Greece for an example)

Had Britain been in the Euro I think vote leave would have won by something like 65-35. "

So you disagree with Ben then? He thinks it would have been impossible to leave, and so we would have voted to remain.

Costa Blanca Spain...

Had Britain been in the Euro I think vote leave would have won by something like 65-35.

So you disagree with Ben then? He thinks it would have been impossible to leave, and so we would have voted to remain. "

I didn't read every post on the thread (time in Cap d'Agde is too valuable) so I will take your word for it.

So you disagree with Ben then? He thinks it would have been impossible to leave, and so we would have voted to remain. "

I said nigh on impossible. Why do you twist words in every thread?

More people would have voted to leave it just would have been a hell of a lot harder to do so

Cambridge

So you disagree with Ben then? He thinks it would have been impossible to leave, and so we would have voted to remain.

I said nigh on impossible. Why do you twist words in every thread?"

Sorry, your writing must more match your intentions. So if it is indeed possible for countries to leave the Euro, and it's as bad as you say it is, then countries would have either held referendums on the issue or even left. As that hasn't happened, then you must be wrong.

Costa Blanca Spain...

Sorry, your writing must more match your intentions. So if it is indeed possible for countries to leave the Euro, and it's as bad as you say it is, then countries would have either held referendums on the issue or even left. As that hasn't happened, then you must be wrong."

Fear is the key.

Cambridge

Sorry, your writing must more match your intentions. So if it is indeed possible for countries to leave the Euro, and it's as bad as you say it is, then countries would have either held referendums on the issue or even left. As that hasn't happened, then you must be wrong.

Fear is the key.

"

So it's not you being mistaken, it's that every single party in the eurozone is too scared to hold a referendum on the issue?

Just ask yourself, does that seem likely?

Fear is the key.

So it's not you being mistaken, it's that every single party in the eurozone is too scared to hold a referendum on the issue?

Just ask yourself, does that seem likely?"

Very

Cambridge

Fear is the key.

Very "

Ah, the hubris.

Fear is the key.

Very

Ah, the hubris."

No, just thought a one word answer would be easier to understand and harder to twist

Cambridge

Fear is the key.

Very

Ah, the hubris.

No, just thought a one word answer would be easier to understand and harder to twist "

Yeah, it is hubris to think you know more than all political parties in all countries in the eurozone.

Fear is the key.

Very

Ah, the hubris.

No, just thought a one word answer would be easier to understand and harder to twist

Yeah, it is hubris to think you know more than all political parties in all countries in the eurozone."

So why don’t they offer referendums?

Here’s a thought. Would you like to have a referendum on EU membership, say, every 10 years? Or are you happy to live with the last one now?

Cambridge

Fear is the key.

Very

Ah, the hubris.

Yeah, it is hubris to think you know more than all political parties in all countries in the eurozone.

Here’s a thought. Would you like to have a referendum on EU membership, say, every 10 years? Or are you happy to live with the last one now?"

They don't hold a referendum on leaving the Eurozone because they are happy with the Euro.

Fear is the key.

Very

Ah, the hubris.

Here’s a thought. Would you like to have a referendum on EU membership, say, every 10 years? Or are you happy to live with the last one now?

They don't hold a referendum on leaving the Eurozone because they are happy with the Euro. "

What planet are you living on?

Are you happy with the result the UK referendum now? Let’s hope so because there won’t be another

Cambridge

Fear is the key.

Very

Ah, the hubris.

They don't hold a referendum on leaving the Eurozone because they are happy with the Euro.

What planet are you living on?

Are you happy with the result the UK referendum now? Let’s hope so because there won’t be another "

I'm living on the planet where no member of the Eurozone has ever held a referendum on leaving the Euro. You appear to be living on a different planet.

» Add a new message to this topic