FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Irish Reunification

Irish Reunification

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

In the current context, especially with the negative effects of Brexit on both the North and South, would you vote for a new and agreed Ireland and have the scourge of sectarianism gone from this island once and for all.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Surely that's for the people of Ireland to decide?

"Surely that's for the people of Ireland to decide?

"

Yes, and we will under terms of the GFA. But was just canvassing views of those living on this island and in GB. You'd have a stake in this whether you are Irish or British.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Surely that's for the people of Ireland to decide?

Yes, and we will under terms of the GFA. But was just canvassing views of those living on this island and in GB. You'd have a stake in this whether you are Irish or British. "

Whether you unite Ireland or not sectrainism will still exist in the UK.

It is rife in Scotland and an utter shame.

Its up to the Irish .Im in favour of the unification Ireland and an end to our involvement in it.

[Removed by poster at 16/08/18 16:19:05]

Yes they should

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Not for me to decide that. Up to the people.

What makes you think sectarianism would disappear if, lets say, the vote to leave UK was 52:48?

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Its up to the Irish .Im in favour of the unification Ireland and an end to our involvement in it.

"

Me to but it would not be possible due to the religious bigotry in the north so we are stuck with the problem.

Cromwell has a lot to answer for

All good points. Sectarianism would decrease over time. The South isn't a sectarian state any longer. In fact it's now one of the most socially tolerant and progressive country on the planet. The majority in the North are too and we're just waiting for politics to catch up. Personally I'd love to see it. With roots in both sides it is the best way forward. Look at what we do when united in sport etc. Obviously discussion has to happen and rights and cultures respected and preserved in a new constitution. We should as a unified people be able to celebrate not just tolerate each others background.

"In the current context, especially with the negative effects of Brexit on both the North and South, would you vote for a new and agreed Ireland and have the scourge of sectarianism gone from this island once and for all. "

Sectarianism would not be solved by reunification.

Maybe if they decided to be secular the path to reunification would be easier .

At present you have segregated schools in the North, blasphemy laws and Catholic control of schools and hospitals in the Republic, perhaps it is too soon for unity and a secular state.

Agree on integrated education. Blasphemy law is defunct and has only been used once a long time ago while it's also going to be voted on in next referendum. Also, school are not run by the church anymore in reality and is currently been changed in effect by government. Hospitals also are in name only, as seen by the recent pusg back in the envisioning of the new children's hospital and abortions to be carried out in Irish hospitals.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

I doubt sectarianism would be solved by this, if anything it would be like throwing petrol on the fire.

"I doubt sectarianism would be solved by this, if anything it would be like throwing petrol on the fire."

It won't be solved by British involvement in Ireland anyway that's for sure. We have to be let alone to resolve ourselves. It will happen, it is happening.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"I doubt sectarianism would be solved by this, if anything it would be like throwing petrol on the fire.

It won't be solved by British involvement in Ireland anyway that's for sure. We have to be let alone to resolve ourselves. It will happen, it is happening."

NI can't even form a government at the moment they need the British government to run it for them.

By *unny Guy 67Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

A chemistry experiment by imperial Britain long lost its finer glory and there should only be one Ireland and thats united

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

If there was a referendum/vote on reunification I'm pretty confident we would get a united Ireland. Something a lot of us never thought possible in our lifetimes so goes to show s9mething food could come of brexit

A town near you

"If there was a referendum/vote on reunification I'm pretty confident we would get a united Ireland. Something a lot of us never thought possible in our lifetimes so goes to show s9mething GOOD could come of brexit"

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

After reading this.

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Murdered officers' names burned on Londonderry bonfire - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-45203576

I think a united Ireland would be a blood bath of "ethnic cleansing".

"I doubt sectarianism would be solved by this, if anything it would be like throwing petrol on the fire.

It won't be solved by British involvement in Ireland anyway that's for sure. We have to be let alone to resolve ourselves. It will happen, it is happening.

NI can't even form a government at the moment they need the British government to run it for them."

Wrong again. The British refuse to run it, at the moment it's the civil service of the North running the show. They haven't even given them a budget.

"After reading this.

Murdered officers' names burned on Londonderry bonfire - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-45203576

BS; because if you read on or knew the actual facts you'd know this was a tiny minority. Civic and political leaders in Derry Nationalism all came out against this and are not afraid of these people. Btw Since Derry is also one of the worst unemployment black spots on this island disenfranchised youth can vent their anger in an inappropriate way.

I think a united Ireland would be a blood bath of "ethnic cleansing"."

Speaking to Irish people north and south of the border on work visits , religious problems are minimal now in their opinion.

I spoke with some colleagues about this about a year ago in the light of Brexit and the one thing everyone agreed on is whether enough people in the North view themselves as Irish over British in nationality and subculture.

By *vsnikkiTV/TS  over a year ago

Limavady

"After reading this.

BS; because if you read on or knew the actual facts you'd know this was a tiny minority. Civic and political leaders in Derry Nationalism all came out against this and are not afraid of these people. Btw Since Derry is also one of the worst unemployment black spots on this island disenfranchised youth can vent their anger in an inappropriate way.

I think a united Ireland would be a blood bath of "ethnic cleansing"."

a tiny minority? There were hundreds of people there. The "civic leaders" made a vain attempt to get the names removed because they knew that would look bad in the press.If they were actually leaders of the people there, they would have been able to do something. No focus on the second bonfire, no national focus on the bonfire in Newry a couple of days ago.People continue to pretend there is only a very small minority of the nationalist population here that supports violence; sadly they're wrong.

"In the current context, especially with the negative effects of Brexit on both the North and South, would you vote for a new and agreed Ireland and have the scourge of sectarianism gone from this island once and for all. "
Voting for a United Ireland would mean the loss of a significant number of jobs in Northern Ireland . Many civil servants would be made redundant . Who would replace all the funding currently supplied by the UK government. Sectarianism is not really an issue except to those who wish to publicise it . In the long term there will be significant benefits of Brexit . That is why the UK voted to leave . I am from Northern Ireland and proud to be British . My father's family are from the South of Ireland so have been able to see both sides of the coin.

I will not be voting for job losses and loss of subsidies any time soon .

"Voting for a United Ireland would mean the loss of a significant number of jobs in Northern Ireland . Many civil servants would be made redundant."

Project fear

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Yes, and we will under terms of the GFA. But was just canvassing views of those living on this island and in GB. You'd have a stake in this whether you are Irish or British. "

I have to be honest and say that I think the border has and can be good for Ireland. I also think that uniting Ireland would trigger more violence, just the 'loyalists' (how I hate that term) would be in the role of violent minority insurrectionists.

Limavady

[Removed by poster at 17/08/18 09:33:08]

Limavady

"Yes, and we will under terms of the GFA. But was just canvassing views of those living on this island and in GB. You'd have a stake in this whether you are Irish or British.

I have to be honest and say that I think the border has and can be good for Ireland. I also think that uniting Ireland would trigger more violence, just the 'loyalists' (how I hate that term) would be in the role of violent minority insurrectionists."

Maybe good for Ireland, I havent looked at it, but haven't ever seen any argument that it would be good for Northern Ireland in terms of infrastructure, finance or even the cultural status of the majority there.

NI Ireland is a burden to the rest of us and should be cut free .It gets more money per head than the rest of U.K. Which must be wrong .Are we being ripped off and the we need to balance the playing field.

My vote will always be no to a united Ireland

Limavady

"NI Ireland is a burden to the rest of us and should be cut free .It gets more money per head than the rest of U.K. Which must be wrong .Are we being ripped off and the we need to balance the playing field."

"Cut free", suggests NI is being held in the UK against it's will. That's very far from the case.

I live in Northern Ireland and just because there are no/little bombs about doesn't mean there isn't sectarianism. Nor would a United Ireland solve it either.

TBH it's not going to go away in this generation OR the next. Could the ROI afford another near 1.8 million people feeding off their economy? Would people in NI be willing to give up their free health service, benefits etc... that come with being in the UK/Britain.

A friend of mine, from the opposite political spectrum, made this point to me when we were out having a game of snooker (yes Protestants and Catholics CAN get on ), he said no one EVER thinks or mentions about the ROI joining NI and becoming part of the UK and under British rule. Why is this never talked about? Would the ROI be better off as part of the UK??

Limavady

"I live in Northern Ireland and just because there are no/little bombs about doesn't mean there isn't sectarianism. Nor would a United Ireland solve it either.

TBH it's not going to go away in this generation OR the next. Could the ROI afford another near 1.8 million people feeding off their economy? Would people in NI be willing to give up their free health service, benefits etc... that come with being in the UK/Britain.

A friend of mine, from the opposite political spectrum, made this point to me when we were out having a game of snooker (yes Protestants and Catholics CAN get on ), he said no one EVER thinks or mentions about the ROI joining NI and becoming part of the UK and under British rule. Why is this never talked about? Would the ROI be better off as part of the UK??"

Well said

There would have to be two separate referendums. One in the north asking if they wish reunification with the south and one in the south asking if they would accept that reunification. If the northern referendum was a no it would, in my opinion (and as I was born there I think I'm entitled to one), be another generation before the question could be realistically asked again and the southern referendum would be irrelevant.

Limavady

"There would have to be two separate referendums. One in the north asking if they wish reunification with the south and one in the south asking if they would accept that reunification. If the northern referendum was a no it would, in my opinion (and as I was born there I think I'm entitled to one), be another generation before the question could be realistically asked again and the southern referendum would be irrelevant. "

Why? A poll can only be held, in NI, if there is a realistic chance of a vote for a united Ireland. If it's held it is a minimum of 7 years before another poll can be held. Not sure why you say a generation as there would have to be a likelihood of a UI. (With the last poll showing only 21% of NI wants a UI it's not imminent anyway!)

"There would have to be two separate referendums. One in the north asking if they wish reunification with the south and one in the south asking if they would accept that reunification. If the northern referendum was a no it would, in my opinion (and as I was born there I think I'm entitled to one), be another generation before the question could be realistically asked again and the southern referendum would be irrelevant.

Why? A poll can only be held, in NI, if there is a realistic chance of a vote for a united Ireland. If it's held it is a minimum of 7 years before another poll can be held. Not sure why you say a generation as there would have to be a likelihood of a UI. (With the last poll showing only 21% of NI wants a UI it's not imminent anyway!) "

I just think that it would need the length of time (generation) for opinion to shift far enough for a successful vote in favour. In 1968 when, as far as you can ascribe a date, the "Troubles" began, the population split was 80% loyalist to 20% nationalist. By 1988 it had shifted to 60/40. So like I said, a generation ish, for growing the opinion needed for the vote.

"NI Ireland is a burden to the rest of us and should be cut free .It gets more money per head than the rest of U.K. Which must be wrong .Are we being ripped off and the we need to balance the playing field.

"Cut free", suggests NI is being held in the UK against it's will. That's very far from the case."

The rest of the U.K. Should be cut free of the burden of NI.

Limavady

"NI Ireland is a burden to the rest of us and should be cut free .It gets more money per head than the rest of U.K. Which must be wrong .Are we being ripped off and the we need to balance the playing field.

"Cut free", suggests NI is being held in the UK against it's will. That's very far from the case. The rest of the U.K. Should be cut free of the burden of NI.

"

should the same be done for areas that "cost" more like the Scottish highlands, or Leeds?

"I live in Northern Ireland and just because there are no/little bombs about doesn't mean there isn't sectarianism. Nor would a United Ireland solve it either.

A friend of mine, from the opposite political spectrum, made this point to me when we were out having a game of snooker (yes Protestants and Catholics CAN get on ), he said no one EVER thinks or mentions about the ROI joining NI and becoming part of the UK and under British rule. Why is this never talked about? Would the ROI be better off as part of the UK??"

An excellent post and one of the best that U have seen on the topic so far. Can you imagine how people would 're act when they had to start paying for parts of the health service . ?

I fully support a United Ireland provided it is ruled by the UK ( the same as Scotland and Wales ).

"There would have to be two separate referendums. One in the north asking if they wish reunification with the south and one in the south asking if they would accept that reunification. If the northern referendum was a no it would, in my opinion (and as I was born there I think I'm entitled to one), be another generation before the question could be realistically asked again and the southern referendum would be irrelevant.

Why? A poll can only be held, in NI, if there is a realistic chance of a vote for a united Ireland. If it's held it is a minimum of 7 years before another poll can be held. Not sure why you say a generation as there would have to be a likelihood of a UI. (With the last poll showing only 21% of NI wants a UI it's not imminent anyway!) "

I saw that statistic a while ago.

Once people assessed the economic reality of a United Ireland they may decide to vote against. How many people are going to vote to pay to use the health service .

At least the poll result reflects the view of the silent majority.

"Cut free", suggests NI is being held in the UK against it's will. That's very far from the case. The rest of the U.K. Should be cut free of the burden of NI.

should the same be done for areas that "cost" more like the Scottish highlands, or Leeds?"

Scotland couldn't leave soon enough for me .I think many Scots would agree with me.That it's game over for the union .

.The best thing about brexit for me will be the break up of the UK.

Leeds belongs in England .Now if you had said should Cornwall be independent I would agree.

1. The subventions isn't as high in reality, prob around 1.5billion annually, but that making assumptions around the British government continuing to pay old British pensions and big redundancies in the bloated civil service. Are you satisfied having no economy and just going cap in hand for bail outs from the British taxpayers in London and Edinburgh.

2. At the end of the day it's nothing to do with affordability. It's one island and it will have one economy with single bodies to represent them on the whole island. But to answer anyway, the IDA are masters at finding foreign direct investment and creating a smart open economy. This will be done for the North who will also take advantage of the Souths low corporate tax rates.

3. The Irish health service isn't as bad as been made out but the NHS is better as it's free at first point of entry. The NHS though is shitting itself at the moment, and it's only going to get worse after Brexit.

3. Benefits are pretty good in the South and in actual fact the take home cash every week is slightly higher in the South too. As regards salaries, the average wage in NI is 27,000EUR while it's 39k in the Republic. Even taking into account cost of living it's way ahead.

4. Nearly 56% of the population under 44 in the North would vote for a UI. For a number of reasons;

- To remain a EU citizen

- To be part of a UI

- To be financially better off

- They know everyone on this island are closer together than ever before and are connected through social media daily and barriers are been broken down. What's the point in 2 economies, 2 health services etc on a tiny island. We are all Irish. Just some have dual British citizenship

- They want to be a part of the Souths progressive social and rights based constitution. Gay marriage, women's reproductive rights, secularism, separation of church and state etc.

- The know the ridiculousness and folly of partition on the island does not make sense and has been only a blight on the land and it's people

5. Everything is up for discussion, except that non runner. Even just entertaining it for a millisecond though I don't think you actually realise what a no deal Brexit or even just brexit with a deal is going to do the UK and Irish economies. Even that tool Reese Mogg has come out this week and said it would be 50years before we see any benefits of brexit! Also swearing an oath of allegiance to a King/Queen isn't something I'd ever even contemplate or feel the need for. It's a concept that belongs in the 1600s.

6. This was made a sectarian conflict by the church down here and the British government. It suited them both as they each had control of each side and pitted the working class against each other.

7. Here's a little known fact, the 1798 rebellion and others were made up of both Catholic and Presbyterian people, fighting side by side. Tone and Emmett had wanted a United Irishman regardless of creed which was played upon and taken advantage on by dividing these same people. Also did you know, after the Battle of the Boyne, one of the first to congratulate King Billy was The Pope. Neither gave a real shite about the place.

8. I am an Irish Protestant. My father is London and comes from a long line of British Tories supporters (I know what they think of us Irish as I've heard them saying it and I've had great arguments with them on British imperialism and colonisation. My mothers side are Irish Nationalists and ones religion is not something they think is relevant.

Look I could go on and on. The island was partitioned against its democratic will. It will never heal until that first is resolved. There is much more that binds us all than divides us. We can't keep going back to the well of the past and instead must have empathy of each other's positions to move forward. Partition isn't natural and everything reforms back into its truest form eventually. We already support all Ireland teams in sport except football, although had a great laugh with banter with a load of NI fans in France in 2016. The demographics, the geography etc etc. It's all headed one direction so we either plan for it and reap the rewards or we don't and a section of our Unionist friends may get left behind. Talks at the highest level are Happening now all the time in the background, including the DUP!

As things stand, nobody can afford a United Ireland. Not least because of a return of the troubles, North, South, and on the UK mainland.

"As things stand, nobody can afford a United Ireland. Not least because of a return of the troubles, North, South, and on the UK mainland."

The place can't be held to ransom by that. Listen, I am an Irishman, I understand why the troubles happened but they were pointless in the end. It set the island back years in reconciliation terms. We owe it to those of British identity to show them how they'd be treated and cherished in an UI. What happened during the troubled were wrong. There could be no justification for it and also no justification for the treatment of nationalists in what was an apartheid state. But I would be coding myself if I didn't mentioned that the old Free State was the same for those with British identity. The one difference been I suppose at least down here it was one man one vote. What is the UK mainland? The U.K. Is the UK. Only one landmass.

No sorry the Northern Irish stood shoulder to shoulder with the British and the rest of Europe during the Second World War ...Well that is the anti-fascist countries anyway. It is time to show the same loyalty in return. It is also a sad indictment that this constant stirring of the pot comes rarely from the peoples of the republic but from malcontents and the poisonous terrorist factions in the North.

"No sorry the Northern Irish stood shoulder to shoulder with the British and the rest of Europe during the Second World War ...Well that is the anti-fascist countries anyway. It is time to show the same loyalty in return. It is also a sad indictment that this constant stirring of the pot comes rarely from the peoples of the republic but from malcontents and the poisonous terrorist factions in the North."

Everything you have stated is factually incorrect and also insulting.

"No sorry the Northern Irish stood shoulder to shoulder with the British and the rest of Europe during the Second World War ...Well that is the anti-fascist countries anyway. It is time to show the same loyalty in return. It is also a sad indictment that this constant stirring of the pot comes rarely from the peoples of the republic but from malcontents and the poisonous terrorist factions in the North.

Everything you have stated is factually incorrect and also insulting. "

More likely the truth hurts . The lady makes extremely valid points .

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

The ROI would never want to be part of the UK. Tbh,as far as Im concerned, NI has f^^^ all to do with Great Britain and it's time for Ireland to be reunited under the tricolour

Essex

A friend of mine, from the opposite political spectrum, made this point to me when we were out having a game of snooker (yes Protestants and Catholics CAN get on ), he said no one EVER thinks or mentions about the ROI joining NI and becoming part of the UK and under British rule. Why is this never talked about? Would the ROI be better off as part of the UK?? An excellent post and one of the best that U have seen on the topic so far. Can you imagine how people would 're act when they had to start paying for parts of the health service . ?

I fully support a United Ireland provided it is ruled by the UK ( the same as Scotland and Wales ). "

Trying to recreate an Empire?

Essex

"No sorry the Northern Irish stood shoulder to shoulder with the British and the rest of Europe during the Second World War ...Well that is the anti-fascist countries anyway. It is time to show the same loyalty in return. It is also a sad indictment that this constant stirring of the pot comes rarely from the peoples of the republic but from malcontents and the poisonous terrorist factions in the North.

Everything you have stated is factually incorrect and also insulting. More likely the truth hurts . The lady makes extremely valid points . "

Complete tosh. My advice to you is:

1. Buy some history books

2. Read them

The facts is that my great grandfather fought for the British joining up in 1940 doing so because he was a lifelong anti-fascist.

He was no kid on hero, no forum fighter. He was a man of principle who left his family of 6 children with my great grandmothers blessing .

Sadly on his return he had to leave his birthplace, Hounded out by bigots who despised all things British .He left for England where he was honoured for his bravery.... A sad footnote is that after leaving his brother "disappeared" after an argument over his brothers war service with local militants in 1952. No one was ever arrested never mind prosecuted ...

Limavady

" The facts is that my great grandfather fought for the British joining up in 1940 doing so because he was a lifelong anti-fascist.

He was no kid on hero, no forum fighter. He was a man of principle who left his family of 6 children with my great grandmothers blessing .

Sadly on his return he had to leave his birthplace, Hounded out by bigots who despised all things British .He left for England where he was honoured for his bravery.... A sad footnote is that after leaving his brother "disappeared" after an argument over his brothers war service with local militants in 1952. No one was ever arrested never mind prosecuted ..."

But the unionists in Northern Ireland can feel comfortable about the idea of united Ireland. All that is in the past. Those bonfires in Londonderry a few days ago were just a gentle joke.

Everything you have stated is factually incorrect and also insulting. More likely the truth hurts . The lady makes extremely valid points .

2. Read them

"

Luckily I tend to ignore posters who choose to describe other posters post as being tosh. The lady has made a number of very valid points and her post beneath yours is an very valid point .

Essex

Everything you have stated is factually incorrect and also insulting. More likely the truth hurts . The lady makes extremely valid points .

2. Read them

Luckily I tend to ignore posters who choose to describe other posters post as being tosh. The lady has made a number of very valid points and her post beneath yours is an very valid point . "

Youve ignored my post by replying to it? Is this the post truth world?

By *leasure domMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

" I fully support a United Ireland provided it is ruled by the UK ( the same as Scotland and Wales ). "

I have to assume that this comment is only intended to stir the pot and is intended to draw out the more "colourful" Britnat bampots

# barking at the moon

I was born and raised in N. Ireland in a loyalist area but left to escape the violence and missery. I support the idea of a re united Ireland but I think it is still a few generations in the future yet. What I would really love to see would be some form of Federal Republic of the 4 nations in these isles. 4 almost fully autonomous regions minus of course, the aristocratic parasites that have caused a lot of the problems in the first place. I do realize this is probably a VERY long way off if it happens at all !!!

By *amnlisaCouple  over a year ago

letterkenny

Ah ha, you are from Limavady where a "tiny minority" paint the kerbs red white and blue against the community wishes and daub offensive sectarian slogans on Catholic Churches.

Essex

" The facts is that my great grandfather fought for the British joining up in 1940 doing so because he was a lifelong anti-fascist.

Sadly on his return he had to leave his birthplace, Hounded out by bigots who despised all things British .He left for England where he was honoured for his bravery.... A sad footnote is that after leaving his brother "disappeared" after an argument over his brothers war service with local militants in 1952. No one was ever arrested never mind prosecuted ...But the unionists in Northern Ireland can feel comfortable about the idea of united Ireland. All that is in the past. Those bonfires in Londonderry a few days ago were just a gentle joke."

Meanwhile loyalists continue to march and intimidate while their politicians hold the rest of the UK to ransom. Shameful

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

If I thought it would remove the scourge of sectarianism I might be in favour of it but I actually think a rush to a united Ireland would lead to increased sectarianism not less. The Unionist community is not ready yet and simply won't accept it at the moment with out a fight. Can't see a peaceful and united Ireland happening in my life time.

Widnes

"In the current context, especially with the negative effects of Brexit on both the North and South, would you vote for a new and agreed Ireland and have the scourge of sectarianism gone from this island once and for all. Voting for a United Ireland would mean the loss of a significant number of jobs in Northern Ireland . Many civil servants would be made redundant . Who would replace all the funding currently supplied by the UK government. Sectarianism is not really an issue except to those who wish to publicise it . In the long term there will be significant benefits of Brexit . That is why the UK voted to leave . I am from Northern Ireland and proud to be British . My father's family are from the South of Ireland so have been able to see both sides of the coin.

I will not be voting for job losses and loss of subsidies any time soon ."

Well if you voted for BREXIT you already have voted for job losses and loss of subsidies.

Widnes

"NI Ireland is a burden to the rest of us and should be cut free .It gets more money per head than the rest of U.K. Which must be wrong .Are we being ripped off and the we need to balance the playing field."

Why MUST it be wrong?

Widnes

"

So, having possibly broken our word to the nationalist community by putting a post BREXIT border in place your solution is that the next thing we should do is break our word to the Unionist community by forcing them out of the UK.

Widnes

A friend of mine, from the opposite political spectrum, made this point to me when we were out having a game of snooker (yes Protestants and Catholics CAN get on ), he said no one EVER thinks or mentions about the ROI joining NI and becoming part of the UK and under British rule. Why is this never talked about? Would the ROI be better off as part of the UK?? An excellent post and one of the best that U have seen on the topic so far. Can you imagine how people would 're act when they had to start paying for parts of the health service . ?

I fully support a United Ireland provided it is ruled by the UK ( the same as Scotland and Wales ). "

I fully support a united Ireland whether part of the UK or not, as long as it has the full support of all the people and communities of Ireland. and full support does mean more than just a simple majority in either the north or the South.

Widnes

A friend of mine, from the opposite political spectrum, made this point to me when we were out having a game of snooker (yes Protestants and Catholics CAN get on ), he said no one EVER thinks or mentions about the ROI joining NI and becoming part of the UK and under British rule. Why is this never talked about? Would the ROI be better off as part of the UK??

The ROI would never want to be part of the UK. Tbh,as far as Im concerned, NI has f^^^ all to do with Great Britain and it's time for Ireland to be reunited under the tricolour"

You're correct, Northern Ireland has f°°° all to do with Great Britain. Great Britain is England & Wales and Scotland. However Northern Ireland has a f^^^ of a lot to do with the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Widnes

"Ah ha, you are from Limavady where a "tiny minority" paint the kerbs red white and blue against the community wishes and daub offensive sectarian slogans on Catholic Churches. "

And do you think these people are ready to be absorbed into the united Ireland?

Widnes

Sadly on his return he had to leave his birthplace, Hounded out by bigots who despised all things British .He left for England where he was honoured for his bravery.... A sad footnote is that after leaving his brother "disappeared" after an argument over his brothers war service with local militants in 1952. No one was ever arrested never mind prosecuted ...But the unionists in Northern Ireland can feel comfortable about the idea of united Ireland. All that is in the past. Those bonfires in Londonderry a few days ago were just a gentle joke.

Meanwhile loyalists continue to march and intimidate while their politicians hold the rest of the UK to ransom. Shameful"

and as above do you seriously and honestly feel that forcing these people into a united Ireland would help rectify the situation

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"In the current context, especially with the negative effects of Brexit on both the North and South, would you vote for a new and agreed Ireland and have the scourge of sectarianism gone from this island once and for all. Voting for a United Ireland would mean the loss of a significant number of jobs in Northern Ireland . Many civil servants would be made redundant . Who would replace all the funding currently supplied by the UK government. Sectarianism is not really an issue except to those who wish to publicise it . In the long term there will be significant benefits of Brexit . That is why the UK voted to leave . I am from Northern Ireland and proud to be British . My father's family are from the South of Ireland so have been able to see both sides of the coin.

Well if you voted for BREXIT you already have voted for job losses and loss of subsidies."

The evidence clearly suggests otherwise. Remain predicted 500,000 job losses in the event of a leave vote, we now know that never happened. The exact opposite to what remain predicted has happened with hundreds of thousands of new jobs added to the UK economy since the vote to leave the EU in 2016. Employment now at record high levels and unemployment also at historic lows.

Well if you voted for BREXIT you already have voted for job losses and loss of subsidies.

The evidence clearly suggests otherwise. Remain predicted 500,000 job losses in the event of a leave vote, we now know that never happened. The exact opposite to what remain predicted has happened with hundreds of thousands of new jobs added to the UK economy since the vote to leave the EU in 2016. Employment now at record high levels and unemployment also at historic lows. "

“If nothing else works a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through”

This seems to be your Brexit mantra.

Oh and just saying the opposite to what’s actually happening, followed by ridiculing anyone who points out reality.

Cannock

The evidence clearly suggests otherwise. Remain predicted 500,000 job losses in the event of a leave vote, we now know that never happened. The exact opposite to what remain predicted has happened with hundreds of thousands of new jobs added to the UK economy since the vote to leave the EU in 2016. Employment now at record high levels and unemployment also at historic lows.

“If nothing else works a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through”

This seems to be your Brexit mantra.

Oh and just saying the opposite to what’s actually happening, followed by ridiculing anyone who points out reality.

"

The reality is what I said. Just look at the official job figures from the ONS as proof. Overall there are now more jobs in the UK economy than there were before the referendum. That is a FACT. It's remainers who are divorced from reality.

Limavady

[Removed by poster at 21/08/18 13:32:55]

Limavady

"Ah ha, you are from Limavady where a "tiny minority" paint the kerbs red white and blue against the community wishes and daub offensive sectarian slogans on Catholic Churches. "

I assume it was me that you were addressing that to. I agree with you although I would point out painting kerbstones either red, white and blue or green white and gold happens in most areas of Northern Ireland and idiots burning or putting graffitti on churches and Orange halls happens in most areas as well. Not excusing it but it's not unusual anywhere in Northern Ireland and not exclusive to one "side" either.

letterkenny

Yep, I agree that there are fools everywhere. Painting kerbs, erecting flegs to mark territory, marching where people don't want you needs sorted.

"In the current context, especially with the negative effects of Brexit on both the North and South, would you vote for a new and agreed Ireland and have the scourge of sectarianism gone from this island once and for all.

If I thought it would remove the scourge of sectarianism I might be in favour of it but I actually think a rush to a united Ireland would lead to increased sectarianism not less. The Unionist community is not ready yet and simply won't accept it at the moment with out a fight. Can't see a peaceful and united Ireland happening in my life time.

"

Come here buddy, who are you going to fight like? Those who want a UI will be celebrating. Most Unionists are law abiding citizens and that goes for Nationalists too. If you're planning on marauding down through the country give me a heads up and I'll put the kettle on

The biggest threat to reunification isn't going to come from the North but in the Republic.

I fully support a United Ireland provided it is ruled by the UK ( the same as Scotland and Wales ).

I fully support a united Ireland whether part of the UK or not, as long as it has the full support of all the people and communities of Ireland. and full support does mean more than just a simple majority in either the north or the South."

What are you on about? 50+1 is good enough for partition than 50+1 is good enough for unity. I do get what you mean though and I'm of the belief that I wouldn't call for one unless we're sure to win it. No harm in getting the discussion and it's brilliant to see many Unionists engaging Nationalists on the matter. Personally I would like to see the effects of Brexit first before pulling the pin as there's no going back after that, with a border poll to be carried out every 7 years until unification achieved.

The evidence clearly suggests otherwise. Remain predicted 500,000 job losses in the event of a leave vote, we now know that never happened. The exact opposite to what remain predicted has happened with hundreds of thousands of new jobs added to the UK economy since the vote to leave the EU in 2016. Employment now at record high levels and unemployment also at historic lows. "

Dude, you're still in the EU. Hence why you haven't had the job losses as yet

"Ah ha, you are from Limavady where a "tiny minority" paint the kerbs red white and blue against the community wishes and daub offensive sectarian slogans on Catholic Churches.

I assume it was me that you were addressing that to. I agree with you although I would point out painting kerbstones either red, white and blue or green white and gold happens in most areas of Northern Ireland and idiots burning or putting graffitti on churches and Orange halls happens in most areas as well. Not excusing it but it's not unusual anywhere in Northern Ireland and not exclusive to one "side" either."

It's Green for Nationalists White for peace and Orange for Unionists. There is no gold on the flag. Although saying that I couldn't care less for flags, emblems etc. Paint your house in the Union Jack for all I care.

Cannock

Dude, you're still in the EU. Hence why you haven't had the job losses as yet "

Dude, the remain campaign said during the referendum there would be 500,000 jobs lost to the UK economy from a vote to Leave. Not actually leaving, just a vote to leave.

Limavady

[Removed by poster at 21/08/18 18:24:24]

Dude, you're still in the EU. Hence why you haven't had the job losses as yet

Dude, the remain campaign said during the referendum there would be 500,000 jobs lost to the UK economy from a vote to Leave. Not actually leaving, just a vote to leave. "

I'm not sure I'd understand the sentence in that way. Although there is no fudge about an extra 350m/week for the NHS ha! That was a funny one.

We'll see I guess. Don't think there will be 500k job losses even in a no deal. What paper was this in? Use it to clean your windows cause it ain't much use otherwise

By *agermeisterMan  over a year ago

Leeds

Ireland was invaded and colonised. The indigenous people were oppressed. The indigenous people rose up and kicked out a majority of them. They conceded to a founding of NI in 1921 in order to prevent a prolonged civil war. NI was ruled by the most virulent, backward, oppressive protestants until 1997. In that period Catholics were were oppressed and disenfranchised until the late 60s saw an uprising against it.

NI is still Ireland. It's still colonised by backward, sectarian protestants. It's time for them to go. They have no claim to Ireland.

A town near you

"Ireland was invaded and colonised. The indigenous people were oppressed. The indigenous people rose up and kicked out a majority of them. They conceded to a founding of NI in 1921 in order to prevent a prolonged civil war. NI was ruled by the most virulent, backward, oppressive protestants until 1997. In that period Catholics were were oppressed and disenfranchised until the late 60s saw an uprising against it.

NI is still Ireland. It's still colonised by backward, sectarian protestants. It's time for them to go. They have no claim to Ireland."

You forgot the genocide and ethnic cleansing. For my UK friends just Google to connaught or hell.

By *andS_GlasgowCouple  over a year ago

Giffnock

Agreed

"My vote will always be no to a united Ireland "

By *horstrollMan  over a year ago

Caprona

"Ireland was invaded and colonised. The indigenous people were oppressed. The indigenous people rose up and kicked out a majority of them. They conceded to a founding of NI in 1921 in order to prevent a prolonged civil war. NI was ruled by the most virulent, backward, oppressive protestants until 1997. In that period Catholics were were oppressed and disenfranchised until the late 60s saw an uprising against it.

NI is still Ireland. It's still colonised by backward, sectarian protestants. It's time for them to go. They have no claim to Ireland."

Out of interest why 1997

By *andS_GlasgowCouple  over a year ago

Giffnock

There are some disgusting comments on this post - war & more so terrorism is horrific and killing of innocents no matter what your belief !!!

Admin - please close this horrible topic !!

By *laytimenowMan  over a year ago

Essex

By 2021 Northern Ireland will have a Nationalist majority.

( Dr Paul Nolan Study ).

Northern Ireland will have its first Nationalist 1st minister within 2 General Elections.

The movement towards a united Ireland will start then.

How long it takes & how peaceful it is, is another matter.

It Costs Westminster £23 a day to subsidise Syrian refugees (per head)

It costs Westminster £67 a day to subsidise each person in Northern Ireland ( per head) .

Protestants took up the call by Unionist leaders to apply

swiftly for there EU Irish passports in 2016 .

There was an immediate upsurge in NEW passports from Ulster.

Northern Ireland workers & buisness will no longer be dually subsidised by Britain & The EU. (Ie the Farmers)

Westminster paid £2 billion & Dublin £1 billion every year into a kitty to cover the damages of bombs etc caused by para military activity ( Both sides were attacked and attacked)

Both sides made claims .

No insurance companies ever paid out for damage caused by the

Conflict, hence the rebuilding was started with immediate effect( google Hotel Europa) .

Neither Dublin or Westminster wants that burden anymore.

The 1997 Good Friday agreement specifically stated that both economies must be the same enshrined in Law.

Brexit will do more to break up the Union than anything else.

The Union Flag . ( where to start )

James the vi or (james i depending on gb or scottish )

Wasnt a catholic but was sympathetic to them.

The Union Flag is a Catholic Flag .

Always has been always will be

Cross of St George ( George Canonized by a pope of Rome )

Cross of St Andrew ( Andrew Canonized by a pope of Rome )

Cross of St Patrick . Now here is the funny rub .

Patrick isn't officially a Saint ( not been canonized yet )

Yet is regarded & renound to be the Man who brought Catholicism to Ireland .

I think our friend King James vi & i was having a little joke with the Reformists way back when.

Flegs eh whod have em ?

A town near you

"By 2021 Northern Ireland will have a Nationalist majority.

( Dr Paul Nolan Study ).

Northern Ireland will have its first Nationalist 1st minister within 2 General Elections.

It costs Westminster £67 a day to subsidise each person in Northern Ireland ( per head) .

Northern Ireland workers & buisness will no longer be dually subsidised by Britain & The EU. (Ie the Farmers)

Westminster paid £2 billion & Dublin £1 billion every year into a kitty to cover the damages of bombs etc caused by para military activity ( Both sides were attacked and attacked)

Both sides made claims .

Conflict, hence the rebuilding was started with immediate effect( google Hotel Europa) .

The 1997 Good Friday agreement specifically stated that both economies must be the same enshrined in Law.

I think our friend King James vi & i was having a little joke with the Reformists way back when.

Flegs eh whod have em ?

"

And do you know the meaning of the triclour flag. It to is a symbol for unity of Catholics and protestants all all others to live as one in peace.

The union Jack may well have catholic beginnings but it's always been seen as a symbol of british emperial tyranny, the red has some link to Ireland due to the union of Ireland and great Britain.

I personally believe I will see a united Ireland in my life time which is something I never thought possible. But thanks to brexit And changing demographics up north it is more feasible than ever before.

Limavady

( Dr Paul Nolan Study ).

Both sides made claims .

Flegs eh whod have em ?

And do you know the meaning of the triclour flag. It to is a symbol for unity of Catholics and protestants all all others to live as one in peace.

The union Jack may well have catholic beginnings but it's always been seen as a symbol of british emperial tyranny, the red has some link to Ireland due to the union of Ireland and great Britain.

I personally believe I will see a united Ireland in my life time which is something I never thought possible. But thanks to brexit And changing demographics up north it is more feasible than ever before."

This is a reply to your last point. I think a unification of the whole island is further away than at any time in my lifetime. As you say, demographic changes would probably have brought a unification of the two countries together in the next 20 years but the years since the GFA have hardened unionist opposition to a UI. The perceived continued republican campaign of violence and the perceived reunification campaign by the Irish government has lead many to see no place for them, as equals, in an all Ireland union. Areas West of the Bank may well end up Irish but I suspect there would be a partition again.

A town near you

( Dr Paul Nolan Study ).

Both sides made claims .

Flegs eh whod have em ?

I personally believe I will see a united Ireland in my life time which is something I never thought possible. But thanks to brexit And changing demographics up north it is more feasible than ever before.

This is a reply to your last point. I think a unification of the whole island is further away than at any time in my lifetime. As you say, demographic changes would probably have brought a unification of the two countries together in the next 20 years but the years since the GFA have hardened unionist opposition to a UI. The perceived continued republican campaign of violence and the perceived reunification campaign by the Irish government has lead many to see no place for them, as equals, in an all Ireland union. Areas West of the Bank may well end up Irish but I suspect there would be a partition again."

What measures do you think could be used to try an convince the unionist community that an all Ireland nation would be equally inclusive for all, ease their fears so to speak. We can have a united Ireland where everyone can keep their identity and religion.

Essex

Why is there a need to convince anyone of anything ?

Westminster no longer wants or can afford the burden the 6 counties produce.

Ireland will be reunified within 10-20 years.

The Irish government will with the help of the EU & new global Buisness investment keep everbody working & financially comfortable.

Apple have invested hugely in Donegal & will bring more, after Brexit The major car plants will look to invest in new willing areas.

Time for everybody on the Island of Ireland to stop living in the past , move on & start to live like regular citizens of a progressive population .

( Dr Paul Nolan Study ).

Both sides made claims .

Flegs eh whod have em ?

This is a reply to your last point. I think a unification of the whole island is further away than at any time in my lifetime. As you say, demographic changes would probably have brought a unification of the two countries together in the next 20 years but the years since the GFA have hardened unionist opposition to a UI. The perceived continued republican campaign of violence and the perceived reunification campaign by the Irish government has lead many to see no place for them, as equals, in an all Ireland union. Areas West of the Bank may well end up Irish but I suspect there would be a partition again."

Just like dissident Republicans who are a minority, same goes for those Loyalists who wish continue with their hatred of anything Irish. The majority of Unionism are good people willing to listen, empathise and discuss a future together. In a UI the Republican constitutional goals will have been achieved so the dissidents will seize to operate. I can't see true Irish Republicans allowing anything other than that happening. Any threat of violence by a tiny section of Loyalists won't make much difference tbh and will be nothing on the scale of the Troubles. The Irish government have NEVER lied about their intentions to the North but have changed their approach to how we treat those who claim an Irish birthright in the 6 counties. Believe me, discussions at the very highest level between Republicans, the Irish Government and Unionists (whisper this but yes including the DUP) are ongoing in the background.

And you're having a laugh about repartition lol.

There's absolutely no threat to those who claim a British birthright in the North or the South (my own da been one) in a UI. Extremists elements can talk shite all the want but they're irrelevant to be very blunt.

"Why is there a need to convince anyone of anything ?

Westminster no longer wants or can afford the burden the 6 counties produce.

Ireland will be reunified within 10-20 years.

The Irish government will with the help of the EU & new global Buisness investment keep everbody working & financially comfortable.

Apple have invested hugely in Donegal & will bring more, after Brexit The major car plants will look to invest in new willing areas.

Time for everybody on the Island of Ireland to stop living in the past , move on & start to live like regular citizens of a progressive population .

"

Here here.

letterkenny

Ok, so the North of Ireland could be re partitioned along the banks of the River Bann. I would love to see how the good people of Coleraine and other towns would react to permanent checkpoints dividing them. I suspect they would complain as much as the people of the border areas have over the years. It still leaves the question of Belfast, now a city with a nationalist majority in the centre of three unionist counties! No easy answers there.

letterkenny

[Removed by poster at 22/08/18 19:34:53]

Limavady

"Ok, so the North of Ireland could be re partitioned along the banks of the River Bann. I would love to see how the good people of Coleraine and other towns would react to permanent checkpoints dividing them. I suspect they would complain as much as the people of the border areas have over the years. It still leaves the question of Belfast, now a city with a nationalist majority in the centre of three unionist counties! No easy answers there. "
I agree no easy answers.it wouldn't stop violence. Since Ilive West of the Bank, I do I wouldn't want it. Don't see why there would be checkpoints when there aren't now unless the EU wants them but that's a different topic.People in Coleraine would be less than keen but would probably think themselves better off than being in Ireland.

Widnes

( Dr Paul Nolan Study ).

Both sides made claims .

Flegs eh whod have em ?

This is a reply to your last point. I think a unification of the whole island is further away than at any time in my lifetime. As you say, demographic changes would probably have brought a unification of the two countries together in the next 20 years but the years since the GFA have hardened unionist opposition to a UI. The perceived continued republican campaign of violence and the perceived reunification campaign by the Irish government has lead many to see no place for them, as equals, in an all Ireland union. Areas West of the Bank may well end up Irish but I suspect there would be a partition again.

What measures do you think could be used to try an convince the unionist community that an all Ireland nation would be equally inclusive for all, ease their fears so to speak. We can have a united Ireland where everyone can keep their identity and religion."

I've not really got a bone in this fight but i'd have thought that not constantly telling them that they are going to forced into a united Ireland against their will would be a good place to start.

A town near you

( Dr Paul Nolan Study ).

Both sides made claims .

Flegs eh whod have em ?

What measures do you think could be used to try an convince the unionist community that an all Ireland nation would be equally inclusive for all, ease their fears so to speak. We can have a united Ireland where everyone can keep their identity and religion.

I've not really got a bone in this fight but i'd have thought that not constantly telling them that they are going to forced into a united Ireland against their will would be a good place to start.

"

No one is talking about forced unification. If their was a vote on both sides of the border people would be allowed to vote no if they choose. It's not like we are talking about repatriating the lands taken centuries ago during the plantation of Ulster. In an ideal world we would wipe the slate clean and move on as a united people of various religions and political views.

Essex

A vote today would be a loyalist majority.

In 2021 there will be a nationalist voting aged majority

Which will keep increasing as the nationalist population is growing

The loyalist population is continuing to decrease.

There can be no vote for a forced continuation of the union , when in 2021 there will be a nationalist majority for the 1st time since partition .

Why would a nationalist majority that has been abused by westminster for hundreds of years decide to stay part of

that union ?

Dublin must treat the loyalist protestant population with more respect than westminster treated the nationalist/catholic population.

Finally as the Catholic church is no longer the force it once was in ireland due to countless scandals

The loyalist population no longer need to fear papism.

Again to all sides, move on from the past & earn your place in a modern pround progressive nation.

If its not for you then i am sure Britain will welcome you back .

Limavady

"A vote today would be a loyalist majority.

There can be no vote for a forced continuation of the union , when in 2021 there will be a nationalist majority for the 1st time since partition .

Why would a nationalist majority that has been abused by westminster for hundreds of years decide to stay part of

that union ?

Dublin must treat the loyalist protestant population with more respect than westminster treated the nationalist/catholic population.

Finally as the Catholic church is no longer the force it once was in ireland due to countless scandals

Again to all sides, move on from the past & earn your place in a modern pround progressive nation.

"

You keep saying Loyalist but I suspect you mean unionist. They aren't the same thing although most loyalists are also unionists.

that union ?

You keep saying Loyalist but I suspect you mean unionist. They aren't the same thing although most loyalists are also unionists."

Correct. Would that be like the difference between a Nationalist and IRA Volunteer? Or would it be more a Nationalist and a Republican?

Essex

that union ?

You keep saying Loyalist but I suspect you mean unionist. They aren't the same thing although most loyalists are also unionists."

Nope im saying Loyalist as 1 who is loyal as it is predominantly loyalist that are so against a 1 nation state.

Take the loyalist out of unionism & we have a much more stable less violent group of people .

Much like the nationalists who left republicanism behind.

Think David Ervine , became a loyalist , turned to unionism

but with a strong sense of nationalism thrown in.

( such a shame he passed away , he would have played a big role in the future of the Island )

I could just say catholic or protestant but that opens up debate about Emmet, Tone, Parnell all Irish Nationalists& protestants .

All in all the People who were born on the Island of Ireland are Irish , be it northern or just irish.

Time to move on to a great future & stop dragging there knuckles in the mud holding everyone else back.

By *aradisecircusMan  over a year ago

Derry

A United Ireland won't be happening in my generation or my kids' generation. The pipe dream has gained more traction thanks to Brexit. We have an economic united Ireland as things stand, we don't need a political one.

I was born in the Republic and have been living most of my adult life in the North. I cross the border almost on a daily basis. I'm Catholic but neither Nationalist nor Republican. If a UI vote was there tomorrow it would be a NO from me.

Widnes

( Dr Paul Nolan Study ).

Both sides made claims .

Flegs eh whod have em ?

No one is talking about forced unification. If their was a vote on both sides of the border people would be allowed to vote no if they choose. It's not like we are talking about repatriating the lands taken centuries ago during the plantation of Ulster. In an ideal world we would wipe the slate clean and move on as a united people of various religions and political views."

I get that totally but, if you want a united Ireland to be peaceful and a success you'll have to persuade the Unionist community to want to be part of unitary state with the rest of the island of Ireland not simply out vote them.

"A United Ireland won't be happening in my generation or my kids' generation. The pipe dream has gained more traction thanks to Brexit. We have an economic united Ireland as things stand, we don't need a political one.

I was born in the Republic and have been living most of my adult life in the North. I cross the border almost on a daily basis. I'm Catholic but neither Nationalist nor Republican. If a UI vote was there tomorrow it would be a NO from me."

I don't understand your reasoning but at least you've put some thought into it. Not sure what your religion has to do with it, I'm not Catholic. The fact you call it a pipe dream, I assume you mean for yourself as it's not a pipe dream for millions on this island of ours. A UI isn't about a sectarian or singular cultural entity. It's the exact opposite in what I believe in as a United Irishman. And we won't have an economic UI after Brexit for sure, and tbh even now it's not. That's the genius of the GFA and both the UK and Ireland been members of the EU. All to be given up now by Brexit. That I think that is starting to dawn on millions more people across the divide. As the previous poster mentioned we're a matured reconciling progressive people now with a majority support for a UI for those under 44 years of age. I'd love if you could see that or at least not vote against it. If a democratic vote wins such a UI will you be upset? Just interested to know? And why? Think about it; a majority of your fellow countrymen and women vote for it; what will you attitude be in that scenario?

( Dr Paul Nolan Study ).

Both sides made claims .

Flegs eh whod have em ?

No one is talking about forced unification. If their was a vote on both sides of the border people would be allowed to vote no if they choose. It's not like we are talking about repatriating the lands taken centuries ago during the plantation of Ulster. In an ideal world we would wipe the slate clean and move on as a united people of various religions and political views.

I get that totally but, if you want a united Ireland to be peaceful and a success you'll have to persuade the Unionist community to want to be part of unitary state with the rest of the island of Ireland not simply out vote them.

"

That's exactly what a referendum is for. To state your case, have discussion, make your argument and convince those who are in doubt or who are against. What are you talking about?

Widnes

that union ?

"

Quite good up until your last paragraph. That last paragraph is about as helpful as the sort of stupid comments made by BREXITers to Remainers when they say if you want to stay in the EU move to Germany or France. NO; I'm English and not going anywhere but I want to be part of the EU. In exactly the same the Unionist community of Northern Ireland do not want to be English, Scottish or Welsh; they want to what they are, Irish, but they also want to be British. If you can't understand that then you're probably more a part of the problem than you are part of any solution.

Widnes

( Dr Paul Nolan Study ).

Both sides made claims .

Flegs eh whod have em ?

That's exactly what a referendum is for. To state your case, have discussion, make your argument and convince those who are in doubt or who are against. What are you talking about? "

You seriously think that a referendum with a simple majority in favour of unity of let's say 52% in the north wouldn't be even more divisive? Have you not seen what's happening in the UK right now! And remember almost no one really gave a damn about the EU one way or another before the referendum campaign started. The only way a referendum would have any chance of solving the Northern Ireland situation would be if a majority in the order of 70% or more voted for unity. Any less would be more likely to cause problems than solve anything.

Essex

that union ?

Quite good up until your last paragraph. That last paragraph is about as helpful as the sort of stupid comments made by BREXITers to Remainers when they say if you want to stay in the EU move to Germany or France. NO; I'm English and not going anywhere but I want to be part of the EU. In exactly the same the Unionist community of Northern Ireland do not want to be English, Scottish or Welsh; they want to what they are, Irish, but they also want to be British. If you can't understand that then you're probably more a part of the problem than you are part of any solution."

The last paragraph is directed at the people who will never be satisfied with anything .

They are neither interested in nor bothered by what they are .

They can all bugger of which ever side of the community they come from .

Have we not had enough arguements ?

Can we not just wake up to 2018 & look around us ?

See how GOOD it can be ?

Honestly it will be an epic journey .

Widnes

that union ?

Quite good up until your last paragraph. That last paragraph is about as helpful as the sort of stupid comments made by BREXITers to Remainers when they say if you want to stay in the EU move to Germany or France. NO; I'm English and not going anywhere but I want to be part of the EU. In exactly the same the Unionist community of Northern Ireland do not want to be English, Scottish or Welsh; they want to what they are, Irish, but they also want to be British. If you can't understand that then you're probably more a part of the problem than you are part of any solution.

The last paragraph is directed at the people who will never be satisfied with anything .

They are neither interested in nor bothered by what they are .

They can all bugger of which ever side of the community they come from .

Have we not had enough arguements ?

Can we not just wake up to 2018 & look around us ?

See how GOOD it can be ?

Honestly it will be an epic journey .

"

These islands are already going through a journey, described by its supporters as 'epic', and it's not looking anything like as 'GOOD' as is was originally made out to be.

The Unionist community is no more ready to accept a united Ireland outside of the UK than the Nationalist community is willing to accept one within. Until one of those fundamenals changes any talk of a peaceful united Ireland is wishful thinking and totally unrealistic.

There is only one way forward and that is to slowly and steadily make the difference between Irish and/or British on the island of Ireland less and less relevant to people's every day lives. It's unfortunate that the UK with its BREXIT madness is currently pulling in the opposite direction but it's still the only way forward in the long term.

( Dr Paul Nolan Study ).

Both sides made claims .

Flegs eh whod have em ?

"

I think I should point out you are completely incorrect about St Patrick. He most certainly did not bring "catholicism" to Ireland. He was a member of the Celtic church which did not recognize the Pope as head of the church. His predecessor St Palladius was of the Church of Rome, but left Ireland almost totally unsuccessful in his attempts to convert the island to Christianity. The term "catholic" meaning universal, was not used anywhere in Europe until about the 5th or 6th centuries CE and so was long after the death of Patrick.

"All good points. Sectarianism would decrease over time. The South isn't a sectarian state any longer. In fact it's now one of the most socially tolerant and progressive country on the planet. The majority in the North are too and we're just waiting for politics to catch up. Personally I'd love to see it. With roots in both sides it is the best way forward. Look at what we do when united in sport etc. Obviously discussion has to happen and rights and cultures respected and preserved in a new constitution. We should as a unified people be able to celebrate not just tolerate each others background."

People don’t all of a sudden become sectarian overnight, those views and opinions are generally in my opinion instilled into people at a very young age, based on their environment growing up, all forms of hatred or intolerance stems off from influences! I highly doubt you will see reduction in sectarianism in my lifetime or even my kids lifetimes!

I detest religion of all forms however that said I will be the first person to stand up and defend your right to believe in what you want to be!

By *russMan  over a year ago

newtownards

There will never be peace on this island while sinn fèìn exist

Please read.

http://www.paulgosling.net/2018/06/a-new-union-a-new-society-ireland-2050/

By *aradisecircusMan  over a year ago

Derry

"A United Ireland won't be happening in my generation or my kids' generation. The pipe dream has gained more traction thanks to Brexit. We have an economic united Ireland as things stand, we don't need a political one.

I was born in the Republic and have been living most of my adult life in the North. I cross the border almost on a daily basis. I'm Catholic but neither Nationalist nor Republican. If a UI vote was there tomorrow it would be a NO from me.

I don't understand your reasoning but at least you've put some thought into it. Not sure what your religion has to do with it, I'm not Catholic. The fact you call it a pipe dream, I assume you mean for yourself as it's not a pipe dream for millions on this island of ours. A UI isn't about a sectarian or singular cultural entity. It's the exact opposite in what I believe in as a United Irishman. And we won't have an economic UI after Brexit for sure, and tbh even now it's not. That's the genius of the GFA and both the UK and Ireland been members of the EU. All to be given up now by Brexit. That I think that is starting to dawn on millions more people across the divide. As the previous poster mentioned we're a matured reconciling progressive people now with a majority support for a UI for those under 44 years of age. I'd love if you could see that or at least not vote against it. If a democratic vote wins such a UI will you be upset? Just interested to know? And why? Think about it; a majority of your fellow countrymen and women vote for it; what will you attitude be in that scenario? "

I stated my religion as the general assumption if that Catholic = Republian/Nationalist.

A UI presents more questions than answers to me and provides as much, if not more, uncertainty as Brexit does. I'm in a very good job in a very nice house and earn a very good living. Brexit changes none of that for me, a UI potentially does. The heart says it's wonderful, the head sees it as a disaster.

I've read through your comments on this post and it's welcoming to see your positive attitude to a UI and the country as a whole, rather than the anti-British vitriol from people I know who call themselves "Nationalist" and "Republican". They're an embarrassment to themselves and to their forefathers.

I don't understand your reasoning but at least you've put some thought into it. Not sure what your religion has to do with it, I'm not Catholic. The fact you call it a pipe dream, I assume you mean for yourself as it's not a pipe dream for millions on this island of ours. A UI isn't about a sectarian or singular cultural entity. It's the exact opposite in what I believe in as a United Irishman. And we won't have an economic UI after Brexit for sure, and tbh even now it's not. That's the genius of the GFA and both the UK and Ireland been members of the EU. All to be given up now by Brexit. That I think that is starting to dawn on millions more people across the divide. As the previous poster mentioned we're a matured reconciling progressive people now with a majority support for a UI for those under 44 years of age. I'd love if you could see that or at least not vote against it. If a democratic vote wins such a UI will you be upset? Just interested to know? And why? Think about it; a majority of your fellow countrymen and women vote for it; what will you attitude be in that scenario?

I stated my religion as the general assumption if that Catholic = Republian/Nationalist.

A UI presents more questions than answers to me and provides as much, if not more, uncertainty as Brexit does. I'm in a very good job in a very nice house and earn a very good living. Brexit changes none of that for me, a UI potentially does. The heart says it's wonderful, the head sees it as a disaster.

I've read through your comments on this post and it's welcoming to see your positive attitude to a UI and the country as a whole, rather than the anti-British vitriol from people I know who call themselves "Nationalist" and "Republican". They're an embarrassment to themselves and to their forefathers."

It's only a rational question? That's all? Don't know what it is. Can't put my finger on it. We share the same island. The two islands, Britain and Ireland, which is all they are, with people in them. We're all intertwined. Our history shows that. My family definitely is. It would be nice to face the world as unified people. Besides it makes economic sense, soft or hard Brexit. I feel no threat from Britishness. I love been Irish.

Essex

( Dr Paul Nolan Study ).

Both sides made claims .

Flegs eh whod have em ?

I think I should point out you are completely incorrect about St Patrick. He most certainly did not bring "catholicism" to Ireland. He was a member of the Celtic church which did not recognize the Pope as head of the church. His predecessor St Palladius was of the Church of Rome, but left Ireland almost totally unsuccessful in his attempts to convert the island to Christianity. The term "catholic" meaning universal, was not used anywhere in Europe until about the 5th or 6th centuries CE and so was long after the death of Patrick.

"

I think i should point out that he is "Renound around the world" as the man who bought Catholicism to Ireland .

Please do not assume i think that .

Thank you .

See those Irish are arguing again !!!

Essex

Just to point out

I know it is spelt Renowned , but i prefer my spelling.

Ren-owned sounds harsher than re-nound .

"I doubt sectarianism would be solved by this, if anything it would be like throwing petrol on the fire."

My god, you posted something with which I agree. It would be utter carnage, Ulster Loyalists would and will never accept Dublin rule.

Question for the OP. You made a sweeping statement without giving any evidence and I think it may help in the way people respond.

The question is can you list the so called negatives of Brexit so far? I'm not talking speculative but the direct negative result of Brexit.

I'm curious as I've not really seen any. Yes there have been expected market changes which we all new were going to happen and never got close to what so many anti-Brexiteers promised would happen. One was all the banks would move to Europe and the sterling would collapse. I'm still waiting for either to happen ( Sterling is still stronger than the Euro and unless I'm mistaken still stronger than any currencies it was pitted against...It did drop it's value but that was always to be expected.

Inflation hasn't moved much. We often get scared about 0.25%... wtf is 0.25%. It's nothing. ..It wasn't that long ago we were at 11.04% (1975). We've had an average inflation rate of 3.66% per year since then and since Brexit it hasn't reached near that at 2.3% in the past 12 months. The Economy hasn't suffered as many anti-Brexiteers predicted either. If anything it's open up opportunities with China and other eastern powers we wouldn't have been allowed to while stuck in Europe.

So it be nice to know what are the negatives you were thinking of in your statement.

"Just to point out

I know it is spelt Renowned , but i prefer my spelling.

Ren-owned sounds harsher than re-nound ."

That's a lot of misinformed people unfortunately who keep propagating misinformation which they just assumed to be true without questioning it and checking the truth behind it.

He brought 'Christianity ' to Ireland. There's a very very big difference. Then again many in reality don't really know much about Christianity either other than hearsay.

"Question for the OP. You made a sweeping statement without giving any evidence and I think it may help in the way people respond.

The question is can you list the so called negatives of Brexit so far? I'm not talking speculative but the direct negative result of Brexit.

I'm curious as I've not really seen any. Yes there have been expected market changes which we all new were going to happen and never got close to what so many anti-Brexiteers promised would happen. One was all the banks would move to Europe and the sterling would collapse. I'm still waiting for either to happen ( Sterling is still stronger than the Euro and unless I'm mistaken still stronger than any currencies it was pitted against...It did drop it's value but that was always to be expected.

Inflation hasn't moved much. We often get scared about 0.25%... wtf is 0.25%. It's nothing. ..It wasn't that long ago we were at 11.04% (1975). We've had an average inflation rate of 3.66% per year since then and since Brexit it hasn't reached near that at 2.3% in the past 12 months. The Economy hasn't suffered as many anti-Brexiteers predicted either. If anything it's open up opportunities with China and other eastern powers we wouldn't have been allowed to while stuck in Europe.

So it be nice to know what are the negatives you were thinking of in your statement.

"

Brexit has actually happened yet so the effects of it will not be seen or felt yet obviously.

If you're saying Brexit will be a success then I hope it works out for you.

A town near you

My god, you posted something with which I agree. It would be utter carnage, Ulster Loyalists would and will never accept Dublin rule."

Terrorists only make up a tiny minority of both communities and at the back of it all they are more interested in criminality so I honestly don't think unification would change things all that much. These guys will always find ways to make money which is their priority since the ceasefire.

There is only one way we will find out for sure.

"Question for the OP. You made a sweeping statement without giving any evidence and I think it may help in the way people respond.

Brexit has actually happened yet so the effects of it will not be seen or felt yet obviously.

If you're saying Brexit will be a success then I hope it works out for you. "

Yes technically it has. And yes of course it will work. It will work because the people and government will make it work. The only thing that has been causing stumbles are those who fear uncertainty. The problem with them is they never change. To consider change causes uncertainty, but that should never be the reason not to so something new. If one uses that as a stop sign then one will always be at the crossroads.

Yes technically it has. And yes of course it will work. It will work because the people and government will make it work. The only thing that has been causing stumbles are those who fear uncertainty. The problem with them is they never change. To consider change causes uncertainty, but that should never be the reason not to so something new. If one uses that as a stop sign then one will always be at the crossroads."

Why don't we nuke Russia? That's new and nobody's done it before?

Widnes

Yes technically it has. And yes of course it will work. It will work because the people and government will make it work. The only thing that has been causing stumbles are those who fear uncertainty. The problem with them is they never change. To consider change causes uncertainty, but that should never be the reason not to so something new. If one uses that as a stop sign then one will always be at the crossroads.

Why don't we nuke Russia? That's new and nobody's done it before?"

Why don't we just nuke ourselves. That's not been done before either? It would be a far more effective way of destroying our country than BREXIT. As a bonus, we wouldn't see any benefit for 5,000 years rather than just the 50 years predicted by leading BREXITer and champion the British working class, Rees-Mogg.

» Add a new message to this topic