FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Electoral Commission

Electoral Commission

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ercury OP   Man  over a year ago

Grantham

It appears that the Electoral Commission has been slapped down by a Judge in respect of their handling of fining a Leave campaign in the EU Referendum!

It seems that the Electoral Commission gave out incorrect guidance and then have fined on the basis of that guidance.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"It appears that the Electoral Commission has been slapped down by a Judge in respect of their handling of fining a Leave campaign in the EU Referendum!

It seems that the Electoral Commission gave out incorrect guidance and then have fined on the basis of that guidance.

"

Yup, looks like the EC clearly got it wrong.

Good that we now have an actual high court ruling agreeing that Vote Leave overspent. Hopefully now leavers will stop trying to deny it.

-Matt

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"It appears that the Electoral Commission has been slapped down by a Judge in respect of their handling of fining a Leave campaign in the EU Referendum!

Good that we now have an actual high court ruling agreeing that Vote Leave overspent. Hopefully now leavers will stop trying to deny it.

-Matt"

I dont have an issue if the overspent and broke the rules they face the music, BUT cameron spent 9 million of OUR money with his leaflet, ther was only one view on that leaflet not a pros and con point by point

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

-Matt

I dont have an issue if the overspent and broke the rules they face the music, BUT cameron spent 9 million of OUR money with his leaflet, ther was only one view on that leaflet not a pros and con point by point"

That leaflet was totally impartial according to some on here!

I’d say people would claim balanced rather than impartial .... while some may argue where the balance was, it did have balancing statements ...

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"I’d say people would claim balanced rather than impartial .... while some may argue where the balance was, it did have balancing statements ..."

I think I would agree with that assessment. Some people seem to think it was entirely one sided. I think they must have their glasses on upside down or something.

-Matt

-Matt

I dont have an issue if the overspent and broke the rules they face the music, BUT cameron spent 9 million of OUR money with his leaflet, ther was only one view on that leaflet not a pros and con point by point"

But it wasn't illegal - fact it was before purdah! You may not like it but it was lawful.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"I’d say people would claim balanced rather than impartial .... while some may argue where the balance was, it did have balancing statements ...

I think I would agree with that assessment. Some people seem to think it was entirely one sided. I think they must have their glasses on upside down or something. If you think it wasn’t one sided you need help mate

-Matt"

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

-Matt

The £9 million quid taxpayer funded government leaflet was totally one sided and went against the British value of fair play. Cameron may have got around the rules with it, but it was an extra £9 million quid that was given to remain which was not equally afforded to the the Leave side. It's not the kind of behaviour we expect in a free and fair democracy and was an attempt to stack the deck in remains favour similar to tactics one would expect employed by tin pot dictators like Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe in years gone by. In one way I'm glad Leave overspent and It may have gone some way to even up the balance on Cameron's £9 million quid biased leaflet.

As for the Electoral Commission I'm glad they've been slapped down too, remoaners were banging on and on about the electoral commission findings on here a few weeks ago, now at least the courts have ruled they were in the wrong.

-Matt

I dont have an issue if the overspent and broke the rules they face the music, BUT cameron spent 9 million of OUR money with his leaflet, ther was only one view on that leaflet not a pros and con point by point

But it wasn't illegal - fact it was before purdah! You may not like it but it was lawful."

Yes a bit like a killer getting off on a technicality

-Matt

The £9 million quid taxpayer funded government leaflet was totally one sided and went against the British value of fair play. Cameron may have got around the rules with it, but it was an extra £9 million quid that was given to remain which was not equally afforded to the the Leave side. It's not the kind of behaviour we expect in a free and fair democracy and was an attempt to stack the deck in remains favour similar to tactics one would expect employed by tin pot dictators like Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe in years gone by. In one way I'm glad Leave overspent and It may have gone some way to even up the balance on Cameron's £9 million quid biased leaflet.

As for the Electoral Commission I'm glad they've been slapped down too, remoaners were banging on and on about the electoral commission findings on here a few weeks ago, now at least the courts have ruled they were in the wrong. "

You do realise the high court found their finding to be correct. Seems to be their “error” findings were focussed on advice/guidance/interpretation during the reforendum.

Cannock

-Matt

As for the Electoral Commission I'm glad they've been slapped down too, remoaners were banging on and on about the electoral commission findings on here a few weeks ago, now at least the courts have ruled they were in the wrong.

You do realise the high court found their finding to be correct. Seems to be their “error” findings were focussed on advice/guidance/interpretation during the reforendum. "

Read the OP again. The electoral commission were slapped down.

-Matt

You do realise the high court found their finding to be correct. Seems to be their “error” findings were focussed on advice/guidance/interpretation during the reforendum.

Read the OP again. The electoral commission were slapped down. "

I tend to not use a fab posts as my news source. Even if I did, they did not say the commission was wrong in their finding.

Cannock

-Matt

I tend to not use a fab posts as my news source. Even if I did, they did not say the commission was wrong in their finding. "

So are you saying the OP got it wrong then?

Also if you'd bothered to read my earlier post properly I said I'm glad if the leave campaign overspent because it will have gone some way to redress the balance after Cameron gave £9 million quid of taxpayers money to support remain.

-Matt

I tend to not use a fab posts as my news source. Even if I did, they did not say the commission was wrong in their finding.

Also if you'd bothered to read my earlier post properly I said I'm glad if the leave campaign overspent because it will have gone some way to redress the balance after Cameron gave £9 million quid of taxpayers money to support remain. "

I’m saying the OP hasn’t even commented on whether leave did overspend.

By *ercury OP   Man  over a year ago

Grantham

-Matt

Also if you'd bothered to read my earlier post properly I said I'm glad if the leave campaign overspent because it will have gone some way to redress the balance after Cameron gave £9 million quid of taxpayers money to support remain.

I’m saying the OP hasn’t even commented on whether leave did overspend.

"

Do I need to? The post was about the Electoral Commission giving wrong advice on spending rules. The EC could appeal against the decision, depending on how they see the judgement.

If Remain had been given the same advice, they too may have spent more than they were entitled to. But we will never know.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Crying. Spilt. Milk.

» Add a new message to this topic