FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Is a United Ireland a brexit good idea

Is a United Ireland a brexit good idea

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uietbloke67 OP   Man  over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Folks

Will the right wing brexit voters cast Ireland for the Irish to leave the EU...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

NO! Northern Ireland is British, and always will be.

re-unification is inevitable

Neverrrrrrrrr Neverrrrrrrrrr Neverrrrrrrrrr

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

"NO! Northern Ireland is British, and always will be."

Time to reunify the island.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

Maybe we should go for a United Kingdom including the whole of Ireland, I mean what could go wrong?

By *laytimenowMan  over a year ago

Essex

A United Ireland is a Great idea regardless of Brexit.

Essex

Br = Brits

Exit = Out .

are you taking the P###

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

I can’t work out whether you are trolling or you actually believe the things that you write on here.

The re-unification of the island of Ireland is just a matter of time. Changing demographics will see a majority in favour of reunification within the next ten years. It may even be sooner if the younger element get motivated by the Brexit cluster fuck.

"Neverrrrrrrrr Neverrrrrrrrrr Neverrrrrrrrrr "

In case anyone was wondering that was said like the Reverend Ian Paisley. And look what he did in the end with his mate Martin Mcguiness. So it just goes to show with a bit of compromise on both sides anything is possible.

After the inevitable break up of the U.K.

I hope we get to rename the country the former United Kingdom as in F.U.K

"NO! Northern Ireland is British, and always will be.

I can’t work out whether you are trolling or you actually believe the things that you write on here.

The re-unification of the island of Ireland is just a matter of time. Changing demographics will see a majority in favour of reunification within the next ten years. It may even be sooner if the younger element get motivated by the Brexit cluster fuck."

he must be trolling or really bad at jokes

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Perhaps a referendum.

Although we all know what shit they cause.

Essex

"Perhaps a referendum.

Although we all know what shit they cause. "

If (when) Brexit is a complete fiasco, there will be a referendum and NI and the RoI will once again become the country that was split in two for political expediency (and not before time)

"Perhaps a referendum.

If (when) Brexit is a complete fiasco, there will be a referendum and NI and the RoI will once again become the country that was split in two for political expediency (and not before time)"

Try telling that to the toy soldiers who think it’s thier right to punish people by shooting them and parading around wearing balaclavas

By *verysmileMan  over a year ago

CANTERBURY

Those from NI supporting continued union with the UK outnumberthose who want to leave. The Brexit vote and numerous elections bear this out.Therefore as a democratic decision is required, the North will remain part of the UK.

"Perhaps a referendum.

If (when) Brexit is a complete fiasco, there will be a referendum and NI and the RoI will once again become the country that was split in two for political expediency (and not before time)

Try telling that to the toy soldiers who think it’s thier right to punish people by shooting them and parading around wearing balaclavas "

would those got soldiers include the loyalist balaclava wearing ones as well as the republican ones or just the republican ones ...curious to know

"Those from NI supporting continued union with the UK outnumberthose who want to leave. The Brexit vote and numerous elections bear this out.Therefore as a democratic decision is required, the North will remain part of the UK.

"

for now but the demographic is changing...

"Perhaps a referendum.

Try telling that to the toy soldiers who think it’s thier right to punish people by shooting them and parading around wearing balaclavas would those got soldiers include the loyalist balaclava wearing ones as well as the republican ones or just the republican ones ...curious to know "

Both sides to be honest, it’s a shame that the few on both sides who like to see themselves as having the right to meter out justice.

Love the photos

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

Regardless of what the gammon brigade might claim, Northern Ireland was created as a result of the Government of Ireland Act in 1920. This legislation was repealed and replaced by the Northern Ireland Act 1998. Under the Northern Ireland Act, Northern Ireland remains a part of the United Kingdom until or unless a majority vote in a referendum determines otherwise. The power to hold such a referendum rests with the N. Ireland Secretary of State. A similar referendum will also be held in the Republic of Ireland. Scotland, England and Wales will not have any input in this decision

Why is Northern Ireland differentiated? What is different (other than a land border that's more porous, and has more crossings than the entire Eastern EU border, that is a dream for smugglers)

Because unlike Scotland England or Wales it ended a 30 year conflict, with tens of thousands of casualties, where a large percentage of it's population felt sufficiently alienated by the British, to at least give enough tacit support to a movement to sustain that war.

Because that war was only ended by a peace agreement that was accepted by that large and every increasing minority, based on the fact that the border would become less visible, and that another country, the republic, had some degree of say in the running of the North.

Another indicator that N Ireland is a place apart can be found on a UK Passport. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

As a Northern Irish Unionist, I’ve been saying for years that there will be a United Ireland in my lifetime. Brexit just seems to be pushing things that way.

I honestly think the British have shot themselves in the foot by voting to leave, and given that the majority of NI voted to stay, it seems inevitable that the island will be reunified sooner or later.

Depending on wether or not a deal is made before the the deadline, I think the next few years will tell the tale, but I think if a referendum is held in the next 5 years, it’ll probably go for reunification.

And I’m probably one of very very few unionists who would say this, but would it really be such a bad thing?

North West

"Those from NI supporting continued union with the UK outnumberthose who want to leave. The Brexit vote and numerous elections bear this out.Therefore as a democratic decision is required, the North will remain part of the UK.

"

The Brexit vote in N Ireland was a convincing majority to remain in the EU.

Don't be fooled by the DUP, they do not represent the majority in N Ireland. The younger generations are not as hung up as the older, die-hard unionists and my understanding is that Millenials in N Ireland are far less religiously motivated than their parents and far, far more amenable to the island or Ireland being reunified.

It is just a matter of time.

North West

"As a Northern Irish Unionist, I’ve been saying for years that there will be a United Ireland in my lifetime. Brexit just seems to be pushing things that way.

I honestly think the British have shot themselves in the foot by voting to leave, and given that the majority of NI voted to stay, it seems inevitable that the island will be reunified sooner or later.

Depending on wether or not a deal is made before the the deadline, I think the next few years will tell the tale, but I think if a referendum is held in the next 5 years, it’ll probably go for reunification.

And I’m probably one of very very few unionists who would say this, but would it really be such a bad thing?"

Could not have said it better myself.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"As a Northern Irish Unionist, I’ve been saying for years that there will be a United Ireland in my lifetime. Brexit just seems to be pushing things that way.

And I’m probably one of very very few unionists who would say this, but would it really be such a bad thing?

Could not have said it better myself. "

So while you think its ok for NI to have a referendum on their future and if they vote to leave the uk they should do so you dont think the uk should leave te EU despite us having a vote that gave the result to authorise the gov to do so. Dont you see the irony in your position

Just to make it clear if NI have a referendum and vote to leave the UK then it would be sad but I would support that decision,

bournemouth

"So BoJo's father has said that if brexit causes a return of the troubles so what, its only Irish killing Irish.

Who agrees with me that the first target of the Irish should be BoJo's father."

Hope you are going to apologise for suggesting that some one should be killed, remind me again on the outrage when Jo Cox was killed

"So BoJo's father has said that if brexit causes a return of the troubles so what, its only Irish killing Irish.

Who agrees with me that the first target of the Irish should be BoJo's father."

No killing please...seen enough of that.

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

So while you think its ok for NI to have a referendum on their future and if they vote to leave the uk they should do so you dont think the uk should leave te EU despite us having a vote that gave the result to authorise the gov to do so. Dont you see the irony in your position

Just to make it clear if NI have a referendum and vote to leave the UK then it would be sad but I would support that decision, "

He didn't say he'd try to stop either of those things, or that people shouldn't have a choice.

Just passed his opinion on the results.

Leaving the EU is bad for the UK In my opinion (and the facts seem to bear this out). Therefore, NI voting to leave an isolationist UK, and rejoin the EU as part of a united Ireland seems logical.

As has been said, the tide of history was going in that direction, we've just accelerated that with the Brexit debacle!

North West

Just to make it clear if NI have a referendum and vote to leave the UK then it would be sad but I would support that decision, "

Please dont try to tell me that you can't see the difference between the status of N Ireland on the island of Ireland and the status of the UK within the EU.

This is where we end up when people only think one dimensionally and make up imaginary parallels.

You may want to do a bit of history revision with particular reference to Ireland.

I think that the uk government might require a rather larger majority than just over 50 percent to let NI go though! I also believe that both sides would have a better idea of what they were voting for!

Essex

"

NI voted heavily to remain in the EU.....so the Brexit vote actually shows the opposite. There will be a referendum within 5 years if there's a no deal Brexit and the vote will be reunification

Essex

Just to make it clear if NI have a referendum and vote to leave the UK then it would be sad but I would support that decision,

I think that the uk government might require a rather larger majority than just over 50 percent to let NI go though! I also believe that both sides would have a better idea of what they were voting for!"

I believe the Belfast Agreement refers to a simple majority

I can see NI voting for reunification & Scotland's independence vote within 2 years unless we end up having this never ending Customs Union, which isn't Brexit really at all.

Chudleigh

Or maybe England could split into the bits that want to stay and then the rest could leave? Once we start breaking up the UK, it is just pretty unclear where you stop...

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

The solution is for England (and Wales) to declare independence and leave the UK.

By *inxnmasterCouple  over a year ago

naughty valley

How long will it take till the Republic of Greater London is born, the English monarchy takes residence in Yeovilton, Somerset

CANTERBURY

It's funny how the keyboard warriors take a stand from comfortable distance.

There is an agreed democratic process here and it comes down the those in the catchment area.

If Ulster says no...then it will not happen.

The re-unification of the island of Ireland is just a matter of time. Changing demographics will see a majority in favour of reunification within the next ten years. It may even be sooner if the younger element get motivated by the Brexit cluster fuck.he must be trolling or really bad at jokes"

I’m a mainland loyalist, I know people from Northern Ireland and I know that those people don’t want anything to do with Dublin.

That’s why on the twelfth I’m proud to wear the sash me father wore.

what's the mainland?

The re-unification of the island of Ireland is just a matter of time. Changing demographics will see a majority in favour of reunification within the next ten years. It may even be sooner if the younger element get motivated by the Brexit cluster fuck.he must be trolling or really bad at jokes

I’m a mainland loyalist, I know people from Northern Ireland and I know that those people don’t want anything to do with Dublin.

That’s why on the twelfth I’m proud to wear the sash me father wore. "

The north of ireland belongs to the island of ireland give them their 6 counties back and as for your sash why not stick it right up your bigoted arse

Essex

"It's funny how the keyboard warriors take a stand from comfortable distance.

There is an agreed democratic process here and it comes down the those in the catchment area.

If Ulster says no...then it will not happen.

"

It's even funnier that you're completely ignoring the fact that your post contained "alternative facts" (aka bollocks) about the Brexit vote in NI

Essex

The re-unification of the island of Ireland is just a matter of time. Changing demographics will see a majority in favour of reunification within the next ten years. It may even be sooner if the younger element get motivated by the Brexit cluster fuck.he must be trolling or really bad at jokes

That’s why on the twelfth I’m proud to wear the sash me father wore. "

You're talking to the wrong people then....

Oh and kudos for your casual sectarianism

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

Oh and kudos for your casual sectarianism "

But isn't that the problem.

Whilst I personally am neither for or against a reunited Ireland I honestly believe that a rush to reunification now would simply add to the sectarian problem. Even if nationalists become the majority in the North moving too quickly to a United Ireland will simply reverse the sectarian situation and do nothing to help bring about long term peace to the island of Ireland.

North West

Whilst I personally am neither for or against a reunited Ireland I honestly believe that a rush to reunification now would simply add to the sectarian problem. Even if nationalists become the majority in the North moving too quickly to a United Ireland will simply reverse the sectarian situation and do nothing to help bring about long term peace to the island of Ireland.

"

intelligent people - of which there are plenty on the island of Ireland, are not that bothered about Sectarianism anymore. Most people under 35 years old in N IReland just want to have a good and an easy life. Aligning with the U.K. means more problems whereas an alignment with Eire just makes for an easier an altogether more pleasant future prospect.

Eire is as a progressive, open, liberal and tolerant a society as anyone could ever wish to live in.

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

"Eire is as a progressive, open, liberal and tolerant a society as anyone could ever wish to live in. "

Ah just call it Ireland.

bournemouth

"

Please dont try to tell me that you can't see the difference between the status of N Ireland on the island of Ireland and the status of the UK within the EU.

This is where we end up when people only think one dimensionally and make up imaginary parallels.

You may want to do a bit of history revision with particular reference to Ireland."

Perhaps you could do some research on the history of the Uk's relationship with europe especially France. If the people of the north wish to rejoin the south then good luck to them that is their decision, many loyalists wouldnt like it but in a democracy the majority hold sway the Uk voted to leave the EU so while many dont like the result it has to be respected.

"what's the mainland?"
..A loyalist term for England...well if they love it that much off ye go.

bournemouth

intelligent people - of which there are plenty on the island of Ireland, are not that bothered about Sectarianism anymore. Most people under 35 years old in N IReland just want to have a good and an easy life. Aligning with the U.K. means more problems whereas an alignment with Eire just makes for an easier an altogether more pleasant future prospect.

Eire is as a progressive, open, liberal and tolerant a society as anyone could ever wish to live in. "

My best friend moved to Ireland 15 years ago and he always says that there are issues with immigrants from eastern europe and many dont like the fact they, in their view take jobs from the Irish.

If there isnt much sectarianism in the north any more why is there such a problem with the possible border? Or is it that the loyalists are just meant to suck it up and give up their views because a few murderers want an excuse to start killing, or more likely its just an excuse for remainers to overule the majority of the UK

Eire is as a progressive, open, liberal and tolerant a society as anyone could ever wish to live in.

My best friend moved to Ireland 15 years ago and he always says that there are issues with immigrants from eastern europe and many dont like the fact they, in their view take jobs from the Irish.

If there isnt much sectarianism in the north any more why is there such a problem with the possible border? Or is it that the loyalists are just meant to suck it up and give up their views because a few murderers want an excuse to start killing, or more likely its just an excuse for remainers to overule the majority of the UK"

It's like saying there is no racism in the UK!

It's all under the surface and is just as fierce as leave v remain - clearly you have never been to the provence?

If there isnt much sectarianism in the north any more why is there such a problem with the possible border? Or is it that the loyalists are just meant to suck it up and give up their views because a few murderers want an excuse to start killing, or more likely its just an excuse for remainers to overule the majority of the UK"

Ah a few murders and the poor loyalist eh...love the one sided English view on Ireland when it really shows itself...i suggest you read up on the UVF,UDA,UFF and the shankill butchers ( not your typical butchers by the way as they didn't sell sausages ) or why the civil rights movement even got started in the north of Ireland...but then the English never did want to admitt their part in helping make the mess of it...

If there isnt much sectarianism in the north any more why is there such a problem with the possible border? Or is it that the loyalists are just meant to suck it up and give up their views because a few murderers want an excuse to start killing, or more likely its just an excuse for remainers to overule the majority of the UKAh a few murders and the poor loyalist eh...love the one sided English view on Ireland when it really shows itself...i suggest you read up on the UVF,UDA,UFF and the shankill butchers ( not your typical butchers by the way as they didn't sell sausages ) or why the civil rights movement even got started in the north of Ireland...but then the English never did want to admitt their part in helping make the mess of it..."

Widnes

"what's the mainland?..A loyalist term for England...well if they love it that much off ye go."

You're making the same mistake many nationalists make. The Loyalist/Unionist in Northern Ireland don't see themselves as English, Scottish or Welsh and don't want to live in England, Scotland or Wales. They see themselves as Irish and want to live in Ireland. But they also want to be British. Telling them 'of ye go' is more helpful than Unionist telling Nationalists living in the North 'of ye go' and live in the south.

We have to move beyond this type of talk.

If you want peace you have to convince the Unionist, if not to actually want to live in a country outside the UK, to at least not mind so much. Anything else will just lead to a reversal of the sectarian situation in the North.

Eire is as a progressive, open, liberal and tolerant a society as anyone could ever wish to live in. "

While I don’t doubt many are not that bothered, threads like these, and the vitriol it spouts show how many do have very strong feelings ...

Essex

If there isnt much sectarianism in the north any more why is there such a problem with the possible border? Or is it that the loyalists are just meant to suck it up and give up their views because a few murderers want an excuse to start killing, or more likely its just an excuse for remainers to overule the majority of the UKAh a few murders and the poor loyalist eh...love the one sided English view on Ireland when it really shows itself...i suggest you read up on the UVF,UDA,UFF and the shankill butchers ( not your typical butchers by the way as they didn't sell sausages ) or why the civil rights movement even got started in the north of Ireland...but then the English never did want to admitt their part in helping make the mess of it..."

Francis Rowntree (11)

Karen Reilly(18) & Martin Peake(17) TheBallymurphy massacre

The world already knows the

events of 30/1/72

Forget the "butchers" the uvf etc.

These were all killed by the british armed forces.

And people wonder why James McClean doesnt want to wear a poppy.

Still as long as the other side arent made to "suck it up" lets just keep abusing those fenian scum.

Or maybe we try something else & new.

bournemouth

"

If there isnt much sectarianism in the north any more why is there such a problem with the possible border? Or is it that the loyalists are just meant to suck it up and give up their views because a few murderers want an excuse to start killing, or more likely its just an excuse for remainers to overule the majority of the UK

It's all under the surface and is just as fierce as leave v remain - clearly you have never been to the provence? "

It wasnt me that said there wasnt much sectarianism in NI, I have seen enough pics of parades and demos against them to know that feelings run pretty strong still, my friend goes up to NI a couple of times a year to see a friend and he says that an English accent can get you a few funny looks in some areas. The point I have made is that its up to the people of the north to decide their future and if they have another vote the majority wish must be accepted just like the eu vote must, it is no different, for that so must any vote in Scotland, perhaps a minimum set time between such votes would be useful tho

Essex

"

It's all under the surface and is just as fierce as leave v remain - clearly you have never been to the provence?

It wasnt me that said there wasnt much sectarianism in NI, I have seen enough pics of parades and demos against them to know that feelings run pretty strong still, my friend goes up to NI a couple of times a year to see a friend and he says that an English accent can get you a few funny looks in some areas. The point I have made is that its up to the people of the north to decide their future and if they have another vote the majority wish must be accepted just like the eu vote must, it is no different, for that so must any vote in Scotland, perhaps a minimum set time between such votes would be useful tho"

You do know that in 3 years the population of the North will for the 1st time be a Catholic majority ?

School kids coming of age tips the balance in 2021.

This is why there is pressure being applied on no hard boarder.

Why spend all the money on infrastructure when a 2nd vote after 5 years or so happens, to reunite the island ?

A 1st referendum would not happen without the guarentee of a 2nd referendum once the population majority tios the other way.

Read the stories of dr paul nolans report about changing demographics.

Why do you think stormont hasnt sat for so long ?

Peoole know its changing & changing fast.

bournemouth

" the majority of the UKAh a few murders and the poor loyalist eh...love the one sided English view on Ireland when it really shows itself...i suggest you read up on the UVF,UDA,UFF and the shankill butchers ( not your typical butchers by the way as they didn't sell sausages ) or why the civil rights movement even got started in the north of Ireland...but then the English never did want to admitt their part in helping make the mess of it..."

The UK's part in Irelands history isnt one to be proud of, terrible things have been done by all sides, its interesting to see you use "english", IIRC it was an anglo scots army that fought in the irish war of independance

Essex

" the majority of the UKAh a few murders and the poor loyalist eh...love the one sided English view on Ireland when it really shows itself...i suggest you read up on the UVF,UDA,UFF and the shankill butchers ( not your typical butchers by the way as they didn't sell sausages ) or why the civil rights movement even got started in the north of Ireland...but then the English never did want to admitt their part in helping make the mess of it...

The UK's part in Irelands history isnt one to be proud of, terrible things have been done by all sides, its interesting to see you use "english", IIRC it was an anglo scots army that fought in the irish war of independance"

Under the auspices of Westminster, therefore English.

Widnes

" the majority of the UKAh a few murders and the poor loyalist eh...love the one sided English view on Ireland when it really shows itself...i suggest you read up on the UVF,UDA,UFF and the shankill butchers ( not your typical butchers by the way as they didn't sell sausages ) or why the civil rights movement even got started in the north of Ireland...but then the English never did want to admitt their part in helping make the mess of it...

The UK's part in Irelands history isnt one to be proud of, terrible things have been done by all sides, its interesting to see you use "english", IIRC it was an anglo scots army that fought in the irish war of independance

Under the auspices of Westminster, therefore English."

For ever the cry of the Nationalists, "it's not our fault it's theirs"

A country, nation or people are never truly independent until they take full responsibility for themselves and their problems. Who's historical fault any situation maybe is irrelevant. By claiming that it's all England's, the British or the UK's fault you're actually saying they are responsible and any solution is dependent on them taking responsibility for sorting it out. That's the total opposite of independence. The solution to the sovereignty and border problems in Ireland lies wholly in the hands of all the Irish people. With respect and tolerance shown to all (something I'm not seeing from many on here) and enough time I'm sure the right solution can be found. A rush to force reunification is not the way.

A country, nation or people are never truly independent until they take full responsibility for themselves and their problems. Who's historical fault any situation maybe is irrelevant. By claiming that it's all England's, the British or the UK's fault you're actually saying they are responsible and any solution is dependent on them taking responsibility for sorting it out. That's the total opposite of independence. The solution to the sovereignty and border problems in Ireland lies wholly in the hands of all the Irish people. With respect and tolerance shown to all (something I'm not seeing from many on here) and enough time I'm sure the right solution can be found. A rush to force reunification is not the way."

Ok the Irish border is now the sticking point! How many people are in the UK - 65m? How many people are in NI - 5m? So we have a minority- less than 10% who incidendly voted to Remain in the EU could solve the problem - but we have 10 DUP politicians who are in effect running the show. Why not ask the people in NI what THEY want - not what 10 politicians are dictating with regards to the brexit settlement? Can they live with NI being in the Customs Union or single market or not? Based on their feedback maybe we can conclude brexit?

Essex

A country, nation or people are never truly independent until they take full responsibility for themselves and their problems. Who's historical fault any situation maybe is irrelevant. By claiming that it's all England's, the British or the UK's fault you're actually saying they are responsible and any solution is dependent on them taking responsibility for sorting it out. That's the total opposite of independence. The solution to the sovereignty and border problems in Ireland lies wholly in the hands of all the Irish people. With respect and tolerance shown to all (something I'm not seeing from many on here) and enough time I'm sure the right solution can be found. A rush to force reunification is not the way."

Reunification will only come with a democratic vote....and it will come sooner rather than later

Widnes

A country, nation or people are never truly independent until they take full responsibility for themselves and their problems. Who's historical fault any situation maybe is irrelevant. By claiming that it's all England's, the British or the UK's fault you're actually saying they are responsible and any solution is dependent on them taking responsibility for sorting it out. That's the total opposite of independence. The solution to the sovereignty and border problems in Ireland lies wholly in the hands of all the Irish people. With respect and tolerance shown to all (something I'm not seeing from many on here) and enough time I'm sure the right solution can be found. A rush to force reunification is not the way.

Reunification will only come with a democratic vote....and it will come sooner rather than later"

If you want a peaceful solution a simple majority vote will not be sufficient. Forcing a substantial minority out of the UK against their will is not going to end well for anyone.

Essex

Reunification will only come with a democratic vote....and it will come sooner rather than later

If you want a peaceful solution a simple majority vote will not be sufficient. Forcing a substantial minority out of the UK against their will is not going to end well for anyone.

"

Seems ok to force an even bigger minority out of the EU though.

Essex

To be fair the

Nationalists( catholics) didnt force partition on another nation.

All said and done though , when brexit was 1st brought up nobody mentioned the need for

"control of our boarders" being a problem .

The fact that it now is says alot about how the people of most countries moan abkut politics being boring or some other derogatory term , when it is in fact vital in every day living.

If half the people realised Farage the banker was blocked from making a fortune by eu law way back when,

because it changed laws to protect the "people" , he took umbridge & set about his mission to destroy the EU .

All he has really done is destroyed the united kingdom.

Widnes

Seems ok to force an even bigger minority out of the EU though."

Not to me it isn't. If BREXIT is showing anybody anything it should be that changing people's national identity should not be a rushed project. But the division caused in England and Wales over BREXIT are as nothing compared to the divisions that were caused in Ireland in the 1920s and would be caused in Ireland again now if the current process of reconciliation was moved too quickly to a process of reunification.

Widnes

To be fair the

Nationalists( catholics) didnt force partition on another nation.

"

When I said Nationalists I didn't actually mean just Northern Ireland Nationalists. I meant all nationalists including SNP, UKIPers and others.

"

All said and done though , when brexit was 1st brought up nobody mentioned the need for

"control of our boarders" being a problem .

The fact that it now is says alot about how the people of most countries moan abkut politics being boring or some other derogatory term , when it is in fact vital in every day living.

If half the people realised Farage the banker was blocked from making a fortune by eu law way back when,

because it changed laws to protect the "people" , he took umbridge & set about his mission to destroy the EU .

All he has really done is destroyed the united kingdom."

Let me get this right we.. The Irish take responsibility for England's actions....the historicial fault that you claim is irrelevant is very much relevant and only a fool would state other wise.....if England want to take responsibility then leave.

Essex

"

I thought you were all for democracy? If more people want unification than don't, how can that be denied?

Essex

Not to me it isn't. If BREXIT is showing anybody anything it should be that changing people's national identity should not be a rushed project. But the division caused in England and Wales over BREXIT are as nothing compared to the divisions that were caused in Ireland in the 1920s and would be caused in Ireland again now if the current process of reconciliation was moved too quickly to a process of reunification."

There not changing there nationality

They are just dropping the northern from the description of the island they are from.

Widnes

Not to me it isn't. If BREXIT is showing anybody anything it should be that changing people's national identity should not be a rushed project. But the division caused in England and Wales over BREXIT are as nothing compared to the divisions that were caused in Ireland in the 1920s and would be caused in Ireland again now if the current process of reconciliation was moved too quickly to a process of reunification.

They are just dropping the northern from the description of the island they are from.

"

I agree, they wouldn't be changing their nationally, which is Irish, but it would be forcing them to change their national identity which currently is British. It's still too soon. The time maybe right at some point in the future but it's not right yet. I think most Irish people in the Republic understand this. Which is why there is not much call from them, or their government, to put reunification on the table at the moment.

Essex

I agree, they wouldn't be changing their nationally, which is Irish, but it would be forcing them to change their national identity which currently is British. It's still too soon. The time maybe right at some point in the future but it's not right yet. I think most Irish people in the Republic understand this. Which is why there is not much call from them, or their government, to put reunification on the table at the moment.

"

Hard Brexit and a hard border would change that overnight. The more the DUP posture, the more likely it is that they will find there's a border poll, which is exactly what they dont want.

I’m enjoying how a country going from being under one government/law to another is seen as being not that big a deal.

Yet the UK getting out of an arrangement with others was seen as being the biggest thing ever ever.

bournemouth

"I’m enjoying how a country going from being under one government/law to another is seen as being not that big a deal.

Yet the UK getting out of an arrangement with others was seen as being the biggest thing ever ever. "

Chudleigh

"

Simple point, people of Northern Ireland are British by Nationality, a combined Ireland would change that completely.

By *amnlisaCouple  over a year ago

letterkenny

The people of the North of Ireland are not all british by nationality. Almost half claim Irish nationality. The ironic thing is that some unionists, including elected representatives that were born in the Republic cannot get British passports! It's a funny old world!

Essex

Simple point, people of Northern Ireland are British by Nationality, a combined Ireland would change that completely. "

Theyre also Irish passport holders too if they so choose

North West

"

Simple point, people of Northern Ireland are British by Nationality, a combined Ireland would change that completely. "

You might want to check your understanding of the situation. Everyone in Northern Ireland has the option of having both an Irish and a British passport. Some have both and some have elected to have just one.

Five years ago there were an estimated 600,000 Irish passport holders in Northern Ireland but 2016 and 2017 saw a surge in applications from the U.K. and Northern Ireland (779,000 in 2017 alone) and so it is a reasonable thought to assume that at least one third of the people in Northern Ireland are Irish passport holders - possibly more.

At the minute the DUP have an opportunity to make sure northern Ireland never vote for reunification , but they don't see it ,

They were offered a situation where they can be in the UK and in the eu at once , what was offered gave northern Ireland the chance to trade freely with the EU and great Britain , who in northern Ireland wouldn't want that , what's more it would lead to companies south of the border setting up business there to have easy access to uk market and eu markets , plus any uk bank that is considering moving to eu , ,

By being in northern Ireland they have best of both worlds ,

By *iscreet_divorced_guyMan  over a year ago

central

"At the minute the DUP have an opportunity to make sure northern Ireland never vote for reunification , but they don't see it ,

They were offered a situation where they can be in the UK and in the eu at once , what was offered gave northern Ireland the chance to trade freely with the EU and great Britain , who in northern Ireland wouldn't want that , what's more it would lead to companies south of the border setting up business there to have easy access to uk market and eu markets , plus any uk bank that is considering moving to eu , ,

By being in northern Ireland they have best of both worlds , "

Bristol East

"At the minute the DUP have an opportunity to make sure northern Ireland never vote for reunification , but they don't see it ,

I agree. But it opens a can of worms with Scotland.

Widnes

I agree. If I was an (Ulster) Unionist I'd have jumped at this opportunity. But then most of them are also in favour of BREXIT also which is probably the biggest threat to Northern Ireland remaining part of the UK since independence and partition. I don't think I'll ever really understand them TBH.

Essex

By being in northern Ireland they have best of both worlds ,

I agree. If I was an (Ulster) Unionist I'd have jumped at this opportunity. But then most of them are also in favour of BREXIT also which is probably the biggest threat to Northern Ireland remaining part of the UK since independence and partition. I don't think I'll ever really understand them TBH.

"

The thing is that the 10 dinosaur denying DUP MPs dont represent even half the population of NI. Their stance has always been to say NO to everything. No wonder Stormont has fallen apart

Essex

That level of practical benefit is less important to the DUP than shouting NEVER, NEVER, NEVER

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

I never thought I would see a united Ireland in my life time however brexit has given me some hope.

North West

Very astute observation

The re-unification of the island of Ireland is just a matter of time. Changing demographics will see a majority in favour of reunification within the next ten years. It may even be sooner if the younger element get motivated by the Brexit cluster fuck."

Newsflash.. We don’t want the North.

The majority of Protestants are unionist and want to remain in the UK.

A significant number of Catholics in the North are now Unionist but don’t broadcast it. There was great injustice in the North previously for Catholics living there. That has changed.

The Republic of Ireland could not afford Northern Ireland for a start. Mainland UK subsidies it to an extraordinary amount. Also we could probably do without another civil war and the chaos reunification would bring. No thanks from this Dubliner.

All of Ireland rejoining the UK would be more strategic and more stable in my opinion and a lot of people North and South would be quietly in favour of this

The re-unification of the island of Ireland is just a matter of time. Changing demographics will see a majority in favour of reunification within the next ten years. It may even be sooner if the younger element get motivated by the Brexit cluster fuck.

A significant number of Catholics in the North are now Unionist but don’t broadcast it. There was great injustice in the North previously for Catholics living there. That has changed.

The Republic of Ireland could not afford Northern Ireland for a start. Mainland UK subsidies it to an extraordinary amount. Also we could probably do without another civil war and the chaos reunification would bring. No thanks from this Dubliner.

All of Ireland rejoining the UK would be more strategic and more stable in my opinion and a lot of people North and South would be quietly in favour of this "

Rejoin the uk...ask a pole or a Latvian if they'ed like to be a part of Russia again and see how quick you get smacked in the face....

All of Ireland rejoining the UK would be more strategic and more stable in my opinion and a lot of people North and South would be quietly in favour of this Rejoin the uk...ask a pole or a Latvian if they'ed like to be a part of Russia again and see how quick you get smacked in the face...."

In fairness, the UK is not Russia.

Long term all of Ireland would be better aligned with Britain than the monster that calls itself Europe. Whatever mechanism could make that happen would be worth exploring.

All of Ireland rejoining the UK would be more strategic and more stable in my opinion and a lot of people North and South would be quietly in favour of this Rejoin the uk...ask a pole or a Latvian if they'ed like to be a part of Russia again and see how quick you get smacked in the face....

Long term all of Ireland would be better aligned with Britain than the monster that calls itself Europe. Whatever mechanism could make that happen would be worth exploring."

Actually your wrong - whilst the UK is a significant market it is USA which is Ireland's biggest export market - the UK is second - but only just beating Belgium. In fact it exports significantly more to the EU than the UK - just Google Irish exports!

Essex

All of Ireland rejoining the UK would be more strategic and more stable in my opinion and a lot of people North and South would be quietly in favour of this "

I dont know a single Irish person who'd like Ireland reunited with the UK....not a single one.

It would solve the Brexit issue instantly lol

Widnes

All of Ireland rejoining the UK would be more strategic and more stable in my opinion and a lot of people North and South would be quietly in favour of this Rejoin the uk...ask a pole or a Latvian if they'ed like to be a part of Russia again and see how quick you get smacked in the face....

Long term all of Ireland would be better aligned with Britain than the monster that calls itself Europe. Whatever mechanism could make that happen would be worth exploring.

Actually your wrong - whilst the UK is a significant market it is USA which is Ireland's biggest export market - the UK is second - but only just beating Belgium. In fact it exports significantly more to the EU than the UK - just Google Irish exports!"

Whilst I accept that Ireland rejoining the UK is never going to happen to try to pretend that Ireland's economic future is not inextricably linked to the UK's is to fool yourself. Most of Ireland's trade with the EU currently transits through the UK. That may not be possible in a post BREXIT UK. It's also possible to argue that Eire's economic success within the EU owes as much, if not more, to being in a customs union and single market with the UK as with the other EU27. Great Britain and Ireland have many common interests and often worked together within the EU to achieve them. It's partly the realisation of those common interests and working together within the EU to achieve them that brought about the lowering of tensions between Dublin and London and made the peace process possible. The closer Great Britain and Ireland work together the better it is for both.

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

This is the most nonsensical gibberish Ive read since the last time I read one of Pats posts. There is no appetite within Ireland to rejoin the UK. The EU is polling at over 90% satisfaction in Ireland. The number of people in Ireland that want to rejoin the UK could be measured in the dozens.

Essex

All of Ireland rejoining the UK would be more strategic and more stable in my opinion and a lot of people North and South would be quietly in favour of this

This is the most nonsensical gibberish Ive read since the last time I read one of Pats posts. There is no appetite within Ireland to rejoin the UK. The EU is polling at over 90% satisfaction in Ireland. The number of people in Ireland that want to rejoin the UK could be measured in the dozens."

I suspect that apart from a few anglo-irish throwbacks out in the sticks, you could count the number of people in the RoI wanting to reunify with the UK on the fingers of one hand!

I suspect that the North will remain part of the UK despite this Govt doing its very best to drive even the most fervent unionist to despair....

This is the most nonsensical gibberish Ive read since the last time I read one of Pats posts. There is no appetite within Ireland to rejoin the UK. The EU is polling at over 90% satisfaction in Ireland. The number of people in Ireland that want to rejoin the UK could be measured in the dozens.

I suspect that apart from a few anglo-irish throwbacks out in the sticks, you could count the number of people in the RoI wanting to reunify with the UK on the fingers of one hand!"

Says the Englishman from Essex ...finger on the pulse of Irish unity then in Essex have we

Essex

I suspect that apart from a few anglo-irish throwbacks out in the sticks, you could count the number of people in the RoI wanting to reunify with the UK on the fingers of one hand!

Says the Englishman from Essex ...finger on the pulse of Irish unity then in Essex have we "

Yes I have....perhaps it comes from having a lot of Irish relations and a house in Ireland?

By *xplicitlyricsMan  over a year ago

south dublin

Says the Englishman from Essex ...finger on the pulse of Irish unity then in Essex have we "

Well I agree with him and Im born, raised and living in Dublin. There are no words for how stupid the suggestion Ireland wants to join the UK is.

By *nciaCouple  over a year ago

ardee

One of the most stupid things i've ever read.You wouldn't even get near 1% of the Rep of Ireland wanting to rejoin the UK.

Essex

Actually your wrong - whilst the UK is a significant market it is USA which is Ireland's biggest export market - the UK is second - but only just beating Belgium. In fact it exports significantly more to the EU than the UK - just Google Irish exports!

Whilst I accept that Ireland rejoining the UK is never going to happen to try to pretend that Ireland's economic future is not inextricably linked to the UK's is to fool yourself. Most of Ireland's trade with the EU currently transits through the UK. That may not be possible in a post BREXIT UK. It's also possible to argue that Eire's economic success within the EU owes as much, if not more, to being in a customs union and single market with the UK as with the other EU27. Great Britain and Ireland have many common interests and often worked together within the EU to achieve them. It's partly the realisation of those common interests and working together within the EU to achieve them that brought about the lowering of tensions between Dublin and London and made the peace process possible. The closer Great Britain and Ireland work together the better it is for both.

"

MV Celine Port of Dublin

Worlds biggest roll on -roll offshort trip vessell

Irish building much bigger ships to cut out britains bridge to europe & sail directly to mainland EU .

Looks like its not as linked as people would like to think.

By *losguygl3Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

Nope. Not a chance. But the hand over needs to be slow and gradual or the extremists will kick off and the troubles will start again.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's for the people of Ireland to determine their future but it's better done without the momentum of a brexit catastrophe driving it.

Widnes

MV Celine Port of Dublin

Irish building much bigger ships to cut out britains bridge to europe & sail directly to mainland EU .

Looks like its not as linked as people would like to think."

There have always been directed ferries between Ireland and France. However the quickest, cheapest and fastest route from Ireland to Benelux and Germany is via Holyhead and Dover. Of course this only really works if Ireland, Wales, England, France, Benelux and Germany are all in a single customs union. Having to sail from Ireland to West France is going to be slower (time is money) matter how big you build the ferry. BREXIT is almost as big a disaster for Ireland as it is for England, Scotland and Wales.

MV Celine Port of Dublin

There have always been directed ferries between Ireland and France. However the quickest, cheapest and fastest route from Ireland to Benelux and Germany is via Holyhead and Dover. Of course this only really works if Ireland, Wales, England, France, Benelux and Germany are all in a single customs union. Having to sail from Ireland to West France is going to be slower (time is money) matter how big you build the ferry. BREXIT is almost as big a disaster for Ireland as it is for England, Scotland and Wales."

I agree Brexit is a potential disaster for Ireland. I realise it is not likely that all of Ireland would ever rejoin the UK. In some ways it’s unthinkable, in other ways it would make a lot of sense. I also accept Irexit although plausible is not likely either. But such is my distrust of Europe I think these options are preferable to what lies ahead for Ireland in the EU. We were screwed before by EU with the bank bailout. Europe doesn’t care about Ireland and behind all the kind words of support for Ireland and the border issue re Brexit, Europe would and will F’ck us again without a thought when it is expedient to do so.

MV Celine Port of Dublin

There have always been directed ferries between Ireland and France. However the quickest, cheapest and fastest route from Ireland to Benelux and Germany is via Holyhead and Dover. Of course this only really works if Ireland, Wales, England, France, Benelux and Germany are all in a single customs union. Having to sail from Ireland to West France is going to be slower (time is money) matter how big you build the ferry. BREXIT is almost as big a disaster for Ireland as it is for England, Scotland and Wales.

I agree Brexit is a potential disaster for Ireland. I realise it is not likely that all of Ireland would ever rejoin the UK. In some ways it’s unthinkable, in other ways it would make a lot of sense. I also accept Irexit although plausible is not likely either. But such is my distrust of Europe I think these options are preferable to what lies ahead for Ireland in the EU. We were screwed before by EU with the bank bailout. Europe doesn’t care about Ireland and behind all the kind words of support for Ireland and the border issue re Brexit, Europe would and will F’ck us again without a thought when it is expedient to do so. "

You obviously do not understand the Irish mentality when you think in some ways its a good idea...did the Irish Famine pass you by...Anyway why the assumption Ireland joins the uk...If the UK joins Ireland we are back in the EU, the border issue is solved and the public educated English middle I'm the boss mentality is fooked forwever.

Makes more sense

By *lbert_shlossedMan  over a year ago

Manchester

"A United Ireland is a Great idea regardless of Brexit.

"

Has it ever been politically United except under British rule?

MV Celine Port of Dublin

I agree Brexit is a potential disaster for Ireland. I realise it is not likely that all of Ireland would ever rejoin the UK. In some ways it’s unthinkable, in other ways it would make a lot of sense. I also accept Irexit although plausible is not likely either. But such is my distrust of Europe I think these options are preferable to what lies ahead for Ireland in the EU. We were screwed before by EU with the bank bailout. Europe doesn’t care about Ireland and behind all the kind words of support for Ireland and the border issue re Brexit, Europe would and will F’ck us again without a thought when it is expedient to do so. "

And England won't ....go over your history books again pal

Manchester

"re-unification is inevitable"

What under British rule?

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

Has it ever been politically United except under British rule?"

Political unity as we recognise it now wasn't a thing back in the 12th century.

It certainly wasn't divided into two separate states, one of which was engineered in order to preserve a majority for one religion into the future, with a hard border between them. Mind you, it wasn't the best but of engineering ever done though as the supposedly perpetual majority is about to become a minority.

Manchester

It certainly wasn't divided into two separate states, one of which was engineered in order to preserve a majority for one religion into the future, with a hard border between them. Mind you, it wasn't the best but of engineering ever done though as the supposedly perpetual majority is about to become a minority. "

How many different kingdoms was it before British rule?

Essex

It certainly wasn't divided into two separate states, one of which was engineered in order to preserve a majority for one religion into the future, with a hard border between them. Mind you, it wasn't the best but of engineering ever done though as the supposedly perpetual majority is about to become a minority. .

How many different kingdoms was it before British rule?"

There were 5 provinces at one time

It certainly wasn't divided into two separate states, one of which was engineered in order to preserve a majority for one religion into the future, with a hard border between them. Mind you, it wasn't the best but of engineering ever done though as the supposedly perpetual majority is about to become a minority. .

There were 5 provinces at one time"

How many "kingdom's" were there in England? Just curious as can't see the logic of the argument?

Lucan

How many different kingdoms was it before British rule?"

Pick an era? It varied. We did have a High King at various times which would scupper your "only united under British rule" theory.

Unlike the heridetary "God's representative on earth" aspect to the British crown, our High King was merit based, proven in battle and accepted by the heads of all Kingdoms as the High King.

Pick an era? It varied. We did have a High King at various times which would scupper your "only united under British rule" theory.

Unlike the heridetary "God's representative on earth" aspect to the British crown, our High King was merit based, proven in battle and accepted by the heads of all Kingdoms as the High King. "

My history served me well - thought there were numerous kingdoms way back!

Bristol East

Has it ever been politically United except under British rule?"

The sectarian divide that exists in Ireland can be traced to the British establishment in the late 19th century, when it tried to divide-and-rule Ireland by incentivising protestants in west Scotland to migrate to Ulster.

Lucan

The sectarian divide that exists in Ireland can be traced to the British establishment in the late 19th century, when it tried to divide-and-rule Ireland by incentivising protestants in west Scotland to migrate to Ulster."

To be fair, it goes back a bit farther than that. The plantation of Ulster took place right through the 17th century.

Essex

The sectarian divide that exists in Ireland can be traced to the British establishment in the late 19th century, when it tried to divide-and-rule Ireland by incentivising protestants in west Scotland to migrate to Ulster.

To be fair, it goes back a bit farther than that. The plantation of Ulster took place right through the 17th century. "

There were also plantations early than that in Laois and Offaly as part of the Tudor attempt to subdue the irish

Lucan

To be fair, it goes back a bit farther than that. The plantation of Ulster took place right through the 17th century.

There were also plantations early than that in Laois and Offaly as part of the Tudor attempt to subdue the irish"

Yes but they have very little to do with the present situation in the north.

Essex

There were also plantations early than that in Laois and Offaly as part of the Tudor attempt to subdue the irish

Yes but they have very little to do with the present situation in the north. "

True, but it does indicate the desire to subdue the restless natives by dumping a load of protestants into a catholic country

By *ocketman99Man  over a year ago

fermanagh

"Maybe we should go for a United Kingdom including the whole of Ireland, I mean what could go wrong? "

Back to the good old day of colonisation then?

fermanagh

fermanagh

There is no Irish border, it’s a English border! The Irish border is at the beaches and in the seas!

Bristol East

[Removed by poster at 23/10/18 16:10:55]

Bristol East

More delusions of the British nationalists on this thread.

It keeps recurring.

That Brexit will unleash such anti-European sentiment across the continent that it will result in a re-ordering . . . with the British in charge.

I thought the Scottish nationalists lived in fantasyland. But you British ones take the biscuit.

Do you not realise it has been a recalcitrant Britain that has been a brake on the EU?

Soon Britain will be off the scene and the irritant removed from the EU.

The idea the EU is more liklely to implode because the Brits have chosen to isolate themselves offshore . . . well, dream on.

Manchester

Unlike the heridetary "God's representative on earth" aspect to the British crown, our High King was merit based, proven in battle and accepted by the heads of all Kingdoms as the High King. "

I don't have a theory, I know nothing about Ireland which is why I was asking if it's ever been unified except under English/British rule?.

I do watch a bit of rugby which is where I know my old Irish kingdoms from.

So who and when was this king that unified Ireland into one country?

CANTERBURY

I wpuld guess it was under Henry VIII because the English were still trying to pacify it during Elizabeth I....sending Essex (or Errol Flynn) there with an army.

Widnes

How many "kingdom's" were there in England? Just curious as can't see the logic of the argument?"

East Anglia, Essex, Kent, Mercia, Northumbria, Sussex, and Wessex.

Widnes

To be fair, it goes back a bit farther than that. The plantation of Ulster took place right through the 17th century. "

It actually goes back even further than that. William Wallace sent a Scottish army to Ireland.

Or even further. The Scots were originally an Irish tribe that invaded Caledonia in the dark ages.

How far back do we go to looking for someone to blame?

By *urlyloverMan  over a year ago

n Ireland

"Or maybe England could split into the bits that want to stay and then the rest could leave? Once we start breaking up the UK, it is just pretty unclear where you stop..."

United we stand divided we fall.

Simple statement but so very true.

Manchester

How many "kingdom's" were there in England? Just curious as can't see the logic of the argument?"

You can't reunificate what's never been unified, the only time it's been unified was under English/British rule or Union.

It was a simple question on the assumption of a United Island of Ireland.

Essex

How many "kingdom's" were there in England? Just curious as can't see the logic of the argument?.

You can't reunificate what's never been unified, the only time it's been unified was under English/British rule or Union.

It was a simple question on the assumption of a United Island of Ireland."

It was never Unified under British Rule

" we're not british, we're not saxon , we're not english

we're IRISH & proud we are to be ,

So F*ck your union jack, we want our country back,

we want to see old Ireland free once more "

A little ditty known as 800 years.

fermanagh

How many "kingdom's" were there in England? Just curious as can't see the logic of the argument?.

"

Essex

Simple Point .

Some people of Northern Ireland are British .

Some are Irish.

Its.disputed territory & if we go back to the

G.F.A it is quite clearly open-to change.

" Both of these views were acknowledged as being legitimate. For the first time, the Irish government accepted in a binding international agreement that Northern Ireland was part of the United Kingdom. The Irish Constitution was also amended to implicitly recognise Northern Ireland as part of the United Kingdom's sovereign territory, conditional upon the consent for a united Ireland from majorities of the people in both jurisdictions on the island. On the other hand, the language of the agreement reflects a switch in the United Kingdom's statutory emphasis from one for the union to one for a united Ireland. The agreement thus left the issue of future sovereignty over Northern Ireland open-ended."

I'd go so far as to say you wouldn't need any hands at all

But that's just the opinion of an Irish woman from Ireland

Manchester

"

Oh dear you seem a bit hung up on nationalism.

Lucan

It actually goes back even further than that. William Wallace sent a Scottish army to Ireland.

Or even further. The Scots were originally an Irish tribe that invaded Caledonia in the dark ages.

How far back do we go to looking for someone to blame?"

Well making stuff up isn't much help.

William Wallace didn't send any army to Ireland that I've ever heard of. Robert the Bruce did, under the command of his brother Edward. It was not to fight against the Irish though. It was intended that he would be accepted as High King but it didn't pan out as well as planned.

Essex

Oh dear you seem a bit hung up on nationalism."

Oh dear not at all.

Just responding to the

"Only time Ireland was united was under English rule" comment.

Seems you are still hung up on an Empirical notion that hasnt existed for a hundred plus years.

Oh dear you seem a bit hung up on nationalism."

And you seem to the usual British attitude towards Ireland...

» Add a new message to this topic