FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > What is a liberal ?

What is a liberal ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Liberal (and it’s less polite forms) gets thrown around here a lot.

But I’m never sure what people mean ... and if they mean the same thing.

So, if you use liberal as an insult ... what kind of person are you thinking of ?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

That guy who decided he was going to identify a 6 year old girl. The sort of people who enable cunts like that. Those fucking liberals.

salisbury

The sort of cunt that lets a child abuser access the product of his filthy crime.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Can you be a little more specific.Who is this person.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Liberal (and it’s less polite forms) gets thrown around here a lot.

So, if you use liberal as an insult ... what kind of person are you thinking of ? "

I would think that you had to be a liberal-minded kind of person to be on a website like this and to visit Swingers Clubs?

By *lbert_shlossedMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Don't mention anything remotely controversial and if somebody does just go ooooo well, it's the way of the world.

Manchester

In a pbs documentary a neurosurgeon using brain scanning discovered that some people have brain dysfunction that doesn't recognise the human response of disgust, he would show them a series of disgusting images like dead blown up bodies and people with knives to their throats being robbed, what he discovered afterwards via sampling on a questionnaire is that he could accurately (within 98%) tell you if somebody was a libtard just by their brain scans as their brains were dysfunctional!.

Ain't science brill

salisbury

So, if you use liberal as an insult ... what kind of person are you thinking of ?

I would think that you had to be a liberal-minded kind of person to be on a website like this and to visit Swingers Clubs?

"

Being sexually liberal doesn't make you a fucktard like Diane Abbott for example.

Being sexually liberal doesn't make you a fucktard like Diane Abbott for example. "

Says the labour voter ..or are you a floater now??

salisbury

Being sexually liberal doesn't make you a fucktard like Diane Abbott for example.

Says the labour voter ..or are you a floater now??"

I'm a labour voter. There'd be many more if it wasn't for cunts like her.

I'm a labour voter. There'd be many more if it wasn't for cunts like her. "

Didn't corbyn say locking up kids who carry knives wasn't the solution.He sounds very liberal how do you vote for him..I think the Tory party might be closer to your ideological view.On crime.

salisbury

Didn't corbyn say locking up kids who carry knives wasn't the solution.He sounds very liberal how do you vote for him..I think the Tory party might be closer to your ideological view.On crime."

I can't vote for Corbyn. He's not my local labour candidate...

Didn't corbyn say locking up kids who carry knives wasn't the solution.He sounds very liberal how do you vote for him..I think the Tory party might be closer to your ideological view.On crime.

I can't vote for Corbyn. He's not my local labour candidate..."

Keep it local...

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

There is a difference between libertarian and liberal.

The latter is a free marketeer.

The former is something you'd need to be to accept swinging.

Manchester

No it's because They're brains are defective.

Science and experts says so.

Manchester

Although they've not yet isolated any pathogen so maybe best to use a condom, rubber gloves, mask and paper suit if encountering any!.

Anyone on here who isn’t racist, fascist, bigoted or xenophobic gets labelled “libtard”, “loony left” etc.

It’s a sign that the overwhelming number of bigots that inhabit this site have no actual argument so have to resort to insults and catchphrases.

salisbury

"There is a difference between libertarian and liberal.

The former is something you'd need to be to accept swinging."

I don't really think that matters. The OP is only concerned with the use of the word as an insult.

Newbury

I don't really think that matters. The OP is only concerned with the use of the word as an insult. "

Ah yes, the American meaning of "Liberal" meaning broadly crentre- centre left.

We are, however, not American a d Brits using the term that way make themselves look rather stupid....

salisbury

I don't really think that matters. The OP is only concerned with the use of the word as an insult.

We are, however, not American a d Brits using the term that way make themselves look rather stupid...."

I'll take looking stupid rather than looking like a cunt.

Newbury

We are, however, not American a d Brits using the term that way make themselves look rather stupid....

I'll take looking stupid rather than looking like a cunt. "

Not a cunt, an ignorant cunt.

salisbury

I'll take looking stupid rather than looking like a cunt.

Not a cunt, an ignorant cunt. "

I think you're right. I just hope they'll learn.

Being liberal depends on the context.

Jacob Rees mogg is a right leaning economic liberal - in that he believes in the superiority of the market for decisions and how the state should intervene minimally.

Corbyn is a social liberal.

Americans have progressives who sometimes are social libertarian.

Vince cable is a social liberal and somewhat of an economic liberal.

Clem likes to be liberal with his shit stirring....for which I applaud him

Whereas I wonder if Alberto watches too many channel 5 documentaries?

"Anyone on here who isn’t racist, fascist, bigoted or xenophobic gets labelled “libtard”, “loony left” etc.

It’s a sign that the overwhelming number of bigots that inhabit this site have no actual argument so have to resort to insults and catchphrases. "

guess we can't all be as peace loving as you mate ...take in a few eh refugees and let us know how that works out for you

salisbury

"Clem likes to be liberal with his shit stirring....for which I applaud him "

Just like those labels you've thrown about Liberal gets thrown around far too often by people who don't understand the actual meaning.

salisbury

"Just like those labels you've thrown about Liberal gets thrown around far too often by people who don't understand the actual meaning. "

It doesn't matter what the true meaning is!

"Just like those labels you've thrown about Liberal gets thrown around far too often by people who don't understand the actual meaning.

It doesn't matter what the true meaning is! "

just mention Tommy...Tommy,TommyTommy Robinson it's a good way to find out who's liberal and wait for them to yell your racist just for mentioning him

[Removed by poster at 28/11/18 23:23:05]

salisbury

"Just like those labels you've thrown about Liberal gets thrown around far too often by people who don't understand the actual meaning.

It doesn't matter what the true meaning is! just mention Tommy...Tommy,TommyTommy Robinson it's a good way to find out who's liberal and wait for them to yell your racist just for mentioning him "

I heard he invented jam.

It doesn't matter what the true meaning is! just mention Tommy...Tommy,TommyTommy Robinson it's a good way to find out who's liberal and wait for them to yell your racist just for mentioning him

I heard he invented jam. "

He might have .....still a legend

Manchester

"Anyone on here who isn’t racist, fascist, bigoted or xenophobic gets labelled “libtard”, “loony left” etc.

It’s a sign that the overwhelming number of bigots that inhabit this site have no actual argument so have to resort to insults and catchphrases. "

No no no no, as has been proven by scientists and experts your brains dysfunctional, that's called an argument with facts.

Your a libtard, don't panic though, science is doing it's best to look for a cure for your dysfunctional brain.

Manchester

The documentary is David eagleman "the brain".

It's available on YouTube.

I recommended it to all libtards

Manchester

"Whereas I wonder if Alberto watches too many channel 5 documentaries? "

No he's a genuine bonafide neurosurgeon.

It's not my fault his research has concluded that you have a dysfunctional brain, although I always suspected it

"Whereas I wonder if Alberto watches too many channel 5 documentaries? .

It's not my fault his research has concluded that you have a dysfunctional brain, although I always suspected it "

Was this the documentary where the guy was investigating why sometimes people form tribalistic groups and do crappy things like genocide?

It's not my fault his research has concluded that you have a dysfunctional brain, although I always suspected it "

Edit: just saw your post with the name, I think I've seen this one, if so I know where you're coming from and idk if you just didnt listen or whether you're deliberately misrepresenting what was discussed.

Specific episode, there were 6.

100% this. Plenty of supporting evidence on this thread alone.

It doesn't matter what the true meaning is! just mention Tommy...Tommy,TommyTommy Robinson it's a good way to find out who's liberal and wait for them to yell your racist just for mentioning him "

Classic alt right. Pre-accusing people of being “liberals” as an insult for anyone who would disagree with your support for Tommy’s Robinson.

I think this is the point of the thread. You seem to see everyone who isn’t a race-hate enthusiast as a “liberal”. It’s simply not true, for example many many Tory voters (who would be right wing and a million miles away from a “liberal” politically) are also against racism and bigotry.

Manchester

It's not my fault his research has concluded that you have a dysfunctional brain, although I always suspected it

Specific episode, there were 6."

Don't know I watched it on national geographic not YouTube, joking aside it was very interesting though and well worth a watch in its entirety.

It doesn't matter what the true meaning is! just mention Tommy...Tommy,TommyTommy Robinson it's a good way to find out who's liberal and wait for them to yell your racist just for mentioning him

Classic alt right. Pre-accusing people of being “liberals” as an insult for anyone who would disagree with your support for Tommy’s Robinson.

I think this is the point of the thread. You seem to see everyone who isn’t a race-hate enthusiast as a “liberal”. It’s simply not true, for example many many Tory voters (who would be right wing and a million miles away from a “liberal” politically) are also against racism and bigotry. "

sooo I'm a race hate enthusiast....because i disagreed with you....don't get much more liberal then that classic

I think this is the point of the thread. You seem to see everyone who isn’t a race-hate enthusiast as a “liberal”. It’s simply not true, for example many many Tory voters (who would be right wing and a million miles away from a “liberal” politically) are also against racism and bigotry. sooo I'm a race hate enthusiast....because i disagreed with you....don't get much more liberal then that classic "

Nah it’s because you’re a Tommy Robinson fanboy that you get called out as a race hate enthusiast. As far as I know Robinson has never denied his EDL past or apologised for the hatred he stirred up so I don’t see his current anti paedophile stance as being any different from his old behaviour and values. He is a thug and a hooligan and that’s all there is to it.

Well I’m no fan of Tommy Robinson (or whatever his real name is), or indeed the EDL. Although I would help them if I saw them being attacked by antifa or any other fascist group.

I do like UKIP and especially Nigel Farage, and any other group that does not toe the official PC line.

I’m also a big fan of BREXIT, and would love it if we left on a no deal footage and told the EU to forget about any money they think we owe them.

"Although I would help them if I saw them being attacked by antifa or any other fascist group."

Anti fascists or fascists. So that includes everyone then.

I think this is the point of the thread. You seem to see everyone who isn’t a race-hate enthusiast as a “liberal”. It’s simply not true, for example many many Tory voters (who would be right wing and a million miles away from a “liberal” politically) are also against racism and bigotry. sooo I'm a race hate enthusiast....because i disagreed with you....don't get much more liberal then that classic

Nah it’s because you’re a Tommy Robinson fanboy that you get called out as a race hate enthusiast. As far as I know Robinson has never denied his EDL past or apologised for the hatred he stirred up so I don’t see his current anti paedophile stance as being any different from his old behaviour and values. He is a thug and a hooligan and that’s all there is to it. "

Yeah this.

Although I actually didn’t call you a race hate enthusiast and I didn’t suggest that you disagreed with me.

I think this is the point of the thread. You seem to see everyone who isn’t a race-hate enthusiast as a “liberal”. It’s simply not true, for example many many Tory voters (who would be right wing and a million miles away from a “liberal” politically) are also against racism and bigotry. sooo I'm a race hate enthusiast....because i disagreed with you....don't get much more liberal then that classic

Nah it’s because you’re a Tommy Robinson fanboy that you get called out as a race hate enthusiast. As far as I know Robinson has never denied his EDL past or apologised for the hatred he stirred up so I don’t see his current anti paedophile stance as being any different from his old behaviour and values. He is a thug and a hooligan and that’s all there is to it. "

Yeah former EDL as in past and if you think he's only called out paedophilia shows what ye know or don't as the case may be.

[Removed by poster at 29/11/18 13:49:33]

[Removed by poster at 29/11/18 13:50:33]

[Removed by poster at 29/11/18 13:50:32]

Manchester

Imagine lacking the normal human response of disgust, it's hard when you have a dysfunctional brain to give things the adequate response they need.

I for one pity them and hope for a future cure.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

It’s a sign that the overwhelming number of bigots that inhabit this site have no actual argument so have to resort to insults and catchphrases.

"

So you open in your first sentence by resorting to insults and catchphrases. All you ever do on here is call people racist, fascist, bigot or xenophobe, is it because you have no actual argument either. Pot and kettle springs to mind again.

So you open in your first sentence by resorting to insults and catchphrases. All you ever do on here is call people racist, fascist, bigot or xenophobe, is it because you have no actual argument either. Pot and kettle springs to mind again. "

Fuck me....you really couldn’t say anything more worthwhile?

"Imagine lacking the normal human response of disgust, it's hard when you have a dysfunctional brain to give things the adequate response they need.

I for one pity them and hope for a future cure."

Alberto - that’s very naughty - you’ll get yourself in hot water if you keep on down that final solution route!

So you open in your first sentence by resorting to insults and catchphrases. All you ever do on here is call people racist, fascist, bigot or xenophobe, is it because you have no actual argument either. Pot and kettle springs to mind again. "

Cannock

So you open in your first sentence by resorting to insults and catchphrases. All you ever do on here is call people racist, fascist, bigot or xenophobe, is it because you have no actual argument either. Pot and kettle springs to mind again.

Fuck me....you really couldn’t say anything more worthwhile? "

Calling people out on their double standards is always worthwhile.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

What is a liberal good question,it is a very liberal word covering a lot of things

I an a liberal also a bit right wing also a socialist because I do not let my views follow a particular direction.

I say I am a liberal others would say not

Weak dude, even by your own low standards. I didn’t insult anyone in my post.

I think you’ll find that I have extremely rarely labelled anyone racist or bigot, and when I have it’s been to highlight how their argument is based on bigotry instead of information, evidence or fact.

“Pot kettle black”, I’m not sure what you’re trying to imply?

In a side note, I don’t understand why bigoted people get so upset when they’re labelled as such. There are a couple of posters on here who wear it with pride, then others who post the same shit, then get upset when they get called out.

Good Liberal = easy going live and let live while wanting the best for everyone...able to distinguish between real human suffering and trivial entitled pet peeves

Bad liberal = wants to control your life by imposing a series of increasingly bizare constraints on society ...all in the name of the "justice"...the worst want revenge for whatever your great granddaddy might have gotten up to in order to "redress the past"

Fuck me....you really couldn’t say anything more worthwhile?

Calling people out on their double standards is always worthwhile. "

I know Centy, you’re only in it for the wind up and you don’t really care what anyone thinks of you, isn’t it?

Found this:

Libtard:

It means a bleeding heart who doesn't understand how anything works, and walks around arguing about various causes using arguments that usually end up hurting the people their cause is about.

The definition could cover the hard right too.

Cannock

I think you’ll find that I have extremely rarely labelled anyone racist or bigot, and when I have it’s been to highlight how their argument is based on bigotry instead of information, evidence or fact.

In a side note, I don’t understand why bigoted people get so upset when they’re labelled as such. There are a couple of posters on here who wear it with pride, then others who post the same shit, then get upset when they get called out. "

It wasn't even your post I quoted Ray, it was Dave Mover. Maybe if you paid more attention and read the thread properly you wouldn't get so easily wound up.

By *agermeisterMan  over a year ago

Leeds

"No it's because They're brains are defective.

Science and experts says so. "

Source please

In a side note, I don’t understand why bigoted people get so upset when they’re labelled as such. There are a couple of posters on here who wear it with pride, then others who post the same shit, then get upset when they get called out.

It wasn't even your post I quoted Ray, it was Dave Mover. Maybe if you paid more attention and read the thread properly you wouldn't get so easily wound up. "

Fair cop. It’s been a long week.

Leeds

Liberal is an empty term that can be adopted to insult those to the left of Lenin and those just to the left of Thatcher

By *heIcebreakersCouple  over a year ago

Cramlington

I'll take looking stupid rather than looking like a cunt. "

Help me out here. I like cunts. I really really like cunts. I like to put my tongue into them, my cock, my fingers, my toes - just about any part of me that fits. This is a sex positive site where most of us like sex. So why do you use cunt as a pejorative? Are you disclosing some kind of misogynistic attitudes there?

salisbury

I'll take looking stupid rather than looking like a cunt. Help me out here. I like cunts. I really really like cunts. I like to put my tongue into them, my cock, my fingers, my toes - just about any part of me that fits. This is a sex positive site where most of us like sex. So why do you use cunt as a pejorative? Are you disclosing some kind of misogynistic attitudes there?"

Let Susie Dent help you out.

https://youtu.be/3GAbStTKFIw

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

Science and experts says so. "

No it doesn't. Making shit up as usual.

salisbury

No it doesn't. Making shit up as usual."

Don't get triggered by the nasty man.

London

No it doesn't. Making shit up as usual.

Don't get triggered by the nasty man. "

Not getting triggered. Just calling bullshit

Cramlington

I'll take looking stupid rather than looking like a cunt. Help me out here. I like cunts. I really really like cunts. I like to put my tongue into them, my cock, my fingers, my toes - just about any part of me that fits. This is a sex positive site where most of us like sex. So why do you use cunt as a pejorative? Are you disclosing some kind of misogynistic attitudes there?

"

I used a dictionary instead. "All senses of this word are vulgar slang and are very strongly tabooed and censored. The meanings that refer to a woman and a contemptible person are used with disparaging intent and are perceived as highly insulting and demeaning. There are many words used to refer to people in sexual terms. However, to call a person a cunt, especially a woman, is one of the most hateful and powerful examples of verbal abuse in the English language."

Hateful? That's what you sound like. Abusive? That's what you sound like. Insulting and demeaning? That's what you sound like.

Why do you want to sound like that?

I'll take looking stupid rather than looking like a cunt. Help me out here. I like cunts. I really really like cunts. I like to put my tongue into them, my cock, my fingers, my toes - just about any part of me that fits. This is a sex positive site where most of us like sex. So why do you use cunt as a pejorative? Are you disclosing some kind of misogynistic attitudes there?

I used a dictionary instead. "All senses of this word are vulgar slang and are very strongly tabooed and censored. The meanings that refer to a woman and a contemptible person are used with disparaging intent and are perceived as highly insulting and demeaning. There are many words used to refer to people in sexual terms. However, to call a person a cunt, especially a woman, is one of the most hateful and powerful examples of verbal abuse in the English language."

Hateful? That's what you sound like. Abusive? That's what you sound like. Insulting and demeaning? That's what you sound like.

Why do you want to sound like that?"

Stop moaning you cunt.

Isn't everyone getting so.... excited

Cramlington

Stop moaning you cunt. "

Gosh, that's witty. You'll win the Perrier with jokes like that. Not...

Stop moaning you cunt. Gosh, that's witty. You'll win the Perrier with jokes like that. Not..."

You're arguing on the internet with random strangers because they use certain words that upset you.

Jesus fucking Christ. Have you left school yet?

Manchester

No it doesn't. Making shit up as usual."

Ooh yes it does!.

Leeds

No it doesn't. Making shit up as usual..

Ooh yes it does!."

Give us a source of this claim then

London

Ooh yes it does!."

Excellent, we've progressed to pantomime because once again reason fails you.

If we're getting childish maybe I should also point out it's "their" and not "they're". I'm pretty sure the "scientists and experts" are with me on that.

Or is that fake news from a libtard?

Manchester

Ooh yes it does!.

If we're getting childish maybe I should also point out it's "their" and not "they're". I'm pretty sure the "scientists and experts" are with me on that.

Or is that fake news from a libtard?"

He's behind you!.

Manchester

Ooh yes it does!.

Give us a source of this claim then"

Ive already posted it on this thread ffs

salisbury

Ooh yes it does!.

Give us a source of this claim then.

Ive already posted it on this thread ffs "

Ah come on! You know no-one reads the whole thread! Where would be the fun in that?

Ooh yes it does!.

Or is that fake news from a libtard?"

Is it just your projection or a scenario or asumptions on your behalf or is it just fact or as they say, fake

Who knows , depends if it's alternative facts

salisbury

Ooh yes it does!.

Is it just your projection or a scenario or asumptions on your behalf or is it just fact or as they say, fake

Who knows , depends if it's alternative facts "

You know, just take it for what it is, it's all entertainment.

Ooh yes it does!.

Who knows , depends if it's alternative facts

You know, just take it for what it is, it's all entertainment. "

It sure is

Manchester

That's the other thing I've noticed about libtards, they've got no sense of humour, literally like dead from the neck up

Manchester

To be fair I used to just presume liberals we're wankers but since science has shown that there mentally deficient I have alot more sympathy for them.

By *verysmileMan  over a year ago

CANTERBURY

"To be fair I used to just presume liberals we're wankers but since science has shown that there mentally deficient I have alot more sympathy for them.

"

There, their, they're......take your pick. It's a 66% shot that you too can show us mental deficiency. Lol

Manchester

"To be fair I used to just presume liberals we're wankers but since science has shown that there mentally deficient I have alot more sympathy for them.

There, their, they're......take your pick. It's a 66% shot that you too can show us mental deficiency. Lol"

#triggered

salisbury

There, their, they're......take your pick. It's a 66% shot that you too can show us mental deficiency. Lol.

#triggered "

Agreed, desperate measures when your best attack is an extra ' .

There, their, they're......take your pick. It's a 66% shot that you too can show us mental deficiency. Lol.

#triggered

Agreed, desperate measures when your best attack is an extra ' ."

What happened to your multiculturalism thread clem.Did the far right loons that inhabit the forums turn up and say something to get the mods to bin it.???

I guess threads like this one and the one that got binned are like cat nip for the right wing loons .I guess it's useful to let them vomit up their hate and rant .

Rather here than on some innocent immigrant in real life ..

#triggered

Agreed, desperate measures when your best attack is an extra ' .

What happened to your multiculturalism thread clem.Did the far right loons that inhabit the forums turn up and say something to get the mods to bin it.???

I guess threads like this one and the one that got binned are like cat nip for the right wing loons .I guess it's useful to let them vomit up their hate and rant .

Rather here than on some innocent immigrant in real life .. "

I was wondering the same

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

Liberals are silly people who take a pragmatic view that the world will change and that they can't control it.

They also may make some attempt to improve their existence by working with strangers. Perhaps even ones from other countries or religions.

They are basically foolish people

West London

"

The reality is, of course, that either extreme of thought or behaviour is a function natural variation and probably undesirable. A combination of both physical and psychological factors.

It's probably best to be somewhere in between.

The summary is that conservatives get scared more easily and find more things more disgusting disgusting.

Liberals appear to be able to hold more conflicting ideas in their heads.

Good effort in presenting one half of the story

Structural differences

Recent research points at substantial differences in the cognitive styles of liberals and conservatives on psychological measures.[3] For example, conservatives respond to threatening situations with more aggression than do liberals.[4] Similarly, conservatives are more sensitive to threatening facial expressions.[5] Jost and colleagues posed that political orientation is associated with psychological processes for managing fear and uncertainty[3] A 2011 study by cognitive neuroscientist Ryota Kanai's group at University College London published in Current Biology, found a correlation between differences in political views and differences in brain structures in a convenience sample of students from University College London.[6] The researchers performed MRI scans on the brains of 90 volunteer students who had indicated their political orientation on a five-point scale ranging from "very liberal" to "very conservative".[6][7] Students who reported more "conservative" political views tended to have larger amygdalae,[6] a structure in the temporal lobes that performs a primary role in the processing and memory of emotions. In addition, they found clusters in which gray matter volume was significantly associated with conservativism in the left insula and the right entorhinal cortex.[6] There is evidence that conservatives are more sensitive to disgust[8] and the insula is involved in the feeling of disgust.[9] On the other hand, more 'liberal' students tended to have a larger volume of grey matter in the anterior cingulate cortex,[6] a structure of the brain associated with monitoring uncertainty and handling conflicting information.[6][7] It is consistent with previous research suggesting that individuals with a larger ACC have a higher capacity to tolerate uncertainty and conflicts, allowing them to accept more liberal views.[10] The authors concluded that, "Although our data do not determine whether these regions play a causal role in the formation of political attitudes, they converge with previous work to suggest a possible link between brain structure and psychological mechanisms that mediate political attitudes."[6] In an interview with LiveScience, Ryota Kanai said, "It's very unlikely that actual political orientation is directly encoded in these brain regions", and that, "more work is needed to determine how these brain structures mediate the formation of political attitude."[1][7][11][12] Kanai and colleagues added that it is necessary to conduct a longitudinal study to determine whether the changes in brain structure that we observed lead to changes in political behavior or whether political attitudes and behavior instead result in changes of brain structure.

Persons with right-wing views had greater skin conductance response, indicating greater sympathetic nervous system response, to threatening images than those with left-wing views in one study. There was no difference for positive or neutral images. Holding right-wing views was also associated with a stronger startle reflex as measured by strength of eyeblink in response to unexpected noise.[1] A study of subjects' reported level of disgust linked to various scenarios showed that people who scored highly on the "disgust sensitivity" scale held more politically conservative views.[26]

Manchester

Like I said, world renowned neuroscientist Dr David eaglemans documentary used MRI scanning techniques to locate parts of the brain that responded when shown various images.

He found that with over 98% accuracy he could predict whether somebody would be a liberal due to their there they're dysfunctional brain that doesn't respond like NORMAL brains to disgusting images.

The lack of the NORMAL human brain function of disgust when shown images like blown up dead bodies, people being attacked by knives, terrorism etc etc he suspects make more liberal.

If your the type of liberal that likes to bang on about bias this experts research is crucial in realising how your own abnormal dysfunctional brain is probably contributing to your political views.

North West

"Like I said, world renowned neuroscientist Dr David eaglemans documentary used MRI scanning techniques to locate parts of the brain that responded when shown various images.

He found that with over 98% accuracy he could predict whether somebody would be a liberal due to their there they're dysfunctional brain that doesn't respond like NORMAL brains to disgusting images.

The lack of the NORMAL human brain function of disgust when shown images like blown up dead bodies, people being attacked by knives, terrorism etc etc he suspects make more liberal.

If your the type of liberal that likes to bang on about bias this experts research is crucial in realising how your own abnormal dysfunctional brain is probably contributing to your political views."

Oh my God. What have I just read.

Liberals are not “normal” and yet you are on a VERY liberal website. You have a strange opinion about the meaning of the word liberal

West London

"Like I said, world renowned neuroscientist Dr David eaglemans documentary used MRI scanning techniques to locate parts of the brain that responded when shown various images.

If your the type of liberal that likes to bang on about bias this experts research is crucial in realising how your own abnormal dysfunctional brain is probably contributing to your political views."

Interesting.

I agree that one extreme of liberality is an abnormality.

Are you unable to equally acknowledge that one extreme of conservative thought is also an abnormality?

Perhaps you are at this end of the spectrum so that everyone who's views aren't like yours are "liberal".

In my experience people's views lie on a continuum. Do you disagree?

I think that's enough though. Your odd attempt at provocation has been both adequately acknowledged and derided

Manchester

If your the type of liberal that likes to bang on about bias this experts research is crucial in realising how your own abnormal dysfunctional brain is probably contributing to your political views.

Oh my God. What have I just read.

Liberals are not “normal” and yet you are on a VERY liberal website. You have a strange opinion about the meaning of the word liberal "

Don't panic,It's just scientific research and expert opinion.

You can still carry on regardless with your bias.

By *candiumWoman  over a year ago

oban

Normality is relative..... and over rated.

Most of this doesn't stack up.

Liberals are generally anti-guns and anti-war. Conservatives love a bit of war. All do they do seem disgusted just because someone is from a different place...hmmm

I have the brain of a liberal but have grown to hate most of what that has become. I'm pro freedom in all aspects of life...unlike modern liberals who want to control your behaviour.

"I would think that you had to be a liberal-minded kind of person to be on a website like this and to visit Swingers Clubs?

"

That's bullshit.

I smoke , have a thing for foreign women and like bdsm.

I'm still a conservative.

Liberals are generally anti-guns and anti-war. Conservatives love a bit of war. All do they do seem disgusted just because someone is from a different place...hmmm

I have the brain of a liberal but have grown to hate most of what that has become. I'm pro freedom in all aspects of life...unlike modern liberals who want to control your behaviour.

"

Being anti guns and anti war makes no sence whatsoever.

Your either with evil or against it. Sitting in the fence just enables it.

"

Liberals are not “normal” and yet you are on a VERY liberal website. You have a strange opinion about the meaning of the word liberal "

Like I said...

It's not a "liberal" websight.

It's not left wing, right wing or liberal.

Your more socialist than I am.

It's not got anything to do with your personal life.

By *heislanderMan  over a year ago

cheshunt

You should never generalise, we’re all individuals.

What exactly is “the brain of a liberal” ?

"

Being anti guns and anti war makes no sence whatsoever.

Your either with evil or against it. Sitting in the fence just enables it."

'evil'...the brain washing is working well for you. I think you are more of an "enabler" than me.

1. The pen is mightier than the sword

2. Most wars are pointless egotistical affairs

3. Violence only begets violence

"

Compassion x Openness to Experience

-----------------------

Researchers at UofT have shown that the psychological concern for compassion and equality is associated with a liberal mindset, while the concern for order and respect of social norms is associated with a conservative mindset.

"Conservatives tend to be higher in a personality trait called orderliness and lower in openness. This means that they're more concerned about a sense of order and tradition, expressing a deep psychological motive to preserve the current social structure," says Jacob Hirsh, a post-doctoral psychology student at UofT and lead author of the study.

The study, which appears in this month's Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, may even lend some legitimacy to the term, 'bleeding-heart-liberal.'

"Our data shows that liberalism is more often associated with the underlying motives for compassion, empathy and equality," says Hirsh.

Researchers asked more than 600 participants from Canada and the US to classify their politics as either small-L liberal or small-C conservative instead of identifying with a particular political party. They then administered a personality test to determine the participants' personality traits and their relationship to political preferences.

Hirsh's work contributes to accumulating evidence suggesting political behaviour is motivated by underlying psychological needs. "We are beginning to understand the deeper motivations that are involved in determining an individual's political leanings," says Hirsh. "While everybody has the same basic motivational architecture, the relative strength of the underlying systems varies from one person to the next. If concerns for order and equality are relatively balanced, the individual is likely to be politically moderate; as either motive grows stronger than the other, political preferences move further to either end of the spectrum."

"People's values are deeply embedded in their biology and genetic heritage," says UofT Professor and co-author Jordan Peterson. "This means you have to take a deeper view of political values and morality in terms of where these motives are coming from; political preferences do not emerge from a simple rational consideration of the issues."

Peterson argues that in order to maintain a functioning society, both types of political motivation are required.

"The fact that variability still exists in these motivational systems, from an evolutionary perspective, means that neither one is sufficient on its own. There are costs and benefits to each political profile and both appear critical to maintaining an effective balance in society."

-------------------------------

I guess why I hate modern liberals is that in my view they erode freedom and equality via iatrogenics.

-----------------------

Researchers at UofT have shown that the psychological concern for compassion and equality is associated with a liberal mindset, while the concern for order and respect of social norms is associated with a conservative mindset.

"Conservatives tend to be higher in a personality trait called orderliness and lower in openness. This means that they're more concerned about a sense of order and tradition, expressing a deep psychological motive to preserve the current social structure," says Jacob Hirsh, a post-doctoral psychology student at UofT and lead author of the study.

The study, which appears in this month's Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, may even lend some legitimacy to the term, 'bleeding-heart-liberal.'

"Our data shows that liberalism is more often associated with the underlying motives for compassion, empathy and equality," says Hirsh.

Researchers asked more than 600 participants from Canada and the US to classify their politics as either small-L liberal or small-C conservative instead of identifying with a particular political party. They then administered a personality test to determine the participants' personality traits and their relationship to political preferences.

Hirsh's work contributes to accumulating evidence suggesting political behaviour is motivated by underlying psychological needs. "We are beginning to understand the deeper motivations that are involved in determining an individual's political leanings," says Hirsh. "While everybody has the same basic motivational architecture, the relative strength of the underlying systems varies from one person to the next. If concerns for order and equality are relatively balanced, the individual is likely to be politically moderate; as either motive grows stronger than the other, political preferences move further to either end of the spectrum."

"People's values are deeply embedded in their biology and genetic heritage," says UofT Professor and co-author Jordan Peterson. "This means you have to take a deeper view of political values and morality in terms of where these motives are coming from; political preferences do not emerge from a simple rational consideration of the issues."

Peterson argues that in order to maintain a functioning society, both types of political motivation are required.

"The fact that variability still exists in these motivational systems, from an evolutionary perspective, means that neither one is sufficient on its own. There are costs and benefits to each political profile and both appear critical to maintaining an effective balance in society."

I guess why I hate modern liberals is that in my view they erode freedom and equality via iatrogenics.

"

So now we know - thank you!

I think this thread says absolutely nothing about liberals.

However it says volumes about those who would see them as almost subhuman .

We all know where such thinking leads.

Cheers for being honest about your thoughts guys..

-----------------------

"

Well I guess that’s cleared it all up then

Manchester

"

Ooh I'm only trolling the neo liberals, I found it rather hilarious.

If you get chance to watch the David eagleman documentary I'd highly recommend it, getting away from this wind up over one of his findings he examines how the brain formulates different life patterns and how nurture can often change nature and vice versa.

-----------------------

"

Who are the ancient liberals flash .? The Greeks.? Where have the good liberals you long for gone .?

Which freedom has been taken from you specifically ?

Curious.

-----------------------

Who are the ancient liberals flash .? The Greeks.? Where have the good liberals you long for gone .?

Which freedom has been taken from you specifically ?

Curious. "

I don't know but if people think that our biggest problems revolve around the deep deep sexism of the words he/she/his/her or the crushing racism of Jamie Oliver's shitty jerk rice or the slave like conditions of our severely underpaid feminine folk ....then I think they have lost touch with reality and gone full retard*

* And want to kill me for the use of this world which is a verb to slow down and has a variety of meanings.

Meanwhile a billion people live in crushing poverty around the world.

At least people used to protest unjust wars and stuff that actually mattered in the 70s.

There is inequality developing in the management level of most companies now...with canny women applying for jobs where they lack the experience but know they have a good chance of getting the job if there is an equality slot to be filled.

That's just one of many examples of iatrogenics at work.

So you haven't had any freedoms taken from you by neo-liberals.

Maybe the old liberals morphed into these new liberals.You now like how conservatives are now neo-cons.

It's all progression in the end be that neo cons or neo liberals.

"So you haven't had any freedoms taken from you by neo-liberals.

Maybe the old liberals morphed into these new liberals.You now like how conservatives are now neo-cons.

"

I'm not up to date on your jargon.

"So you haven't had any freedoms taken from you by neo-liberals.

I'm not up to date on your jargon.

"

Ok there is no longer pluralism in politics.Neo liberal and neo con no longer have any common ground.

I just hate all these wankers doped on low resolution populist theories...left or right. Big problems aren't solved with simple solutions.

West London

"There is inequality developing in the management level of most companies now...with canny women applying for jobs where they lack the experience but know they have a good chance of getting the job if there is an equality slot to be filled.

That's just one of many examples of iatrogenics at work. "

What?

What's this assertion based on?

Sounds like a nonsense to me. It implies that under-qualified women are getting jobs which implies there aren't enough good female candidates even though they are half the population.

I don't believe that. Do you?

There's a liberal thought for you.

Regardless, men have been applying and getting jobs they aren't at all qualified for for centuries.

"There is inequality developing in the management level of most companies now...with canny women applying for jobs where they lack the experience but know they have a good chance of getting the job if there is an equality slot to be filled.

What?

Sounds like a nonsense to me. It implies that under-qualified women are getting jobs which implies there aren't enough good female candidates even though they are half the population.

Regardless, men have been applying and getting jobs they aren't at all qualified for for centuries."

Two wrongs don't make a right Mr. Bleeding Heart

How do I know...word of mouth from smart female peers my age

We all know that the pool of career hungry senior management type "company women" drops a certain age....it's one of the actual natural causes of the gender pay gap.

Women prioritise family better and lifestyle (as they are smarter in that respect - testosterone is a curse) and opt for part time work when the lustre of working your ass off for titles, money and power wears off.

What?

Regardless, men have been applying and getting jobs they aren't at all qualified for for centuries.

We all know that the pool of career hungry senior management type "company women" drops a certain age....it's one of the actual natural causes of the gender pay gap.

Women prioritise family better and lifestyle (as they are smarter in that respect - testosterone is a curse) and opt for part time work when the lustre of working your ass off for titles, money and power wears off. "

Ha ha word of mouth...You can't back up a statement with "word of mouth".

I could give you examples of things men have told me .With regard to employing and promoting women.But you could rightly call it anecdotal bs.

What?

Women prioritise family better and lifestyle (as they are smarter in that respect - testosterone is a curse) and opt for part time work when the lustre of working your ass off for titles, money and power wears off.

I could give you examples of things men have told me .With regard to employing and promoting women.But you could rightly call it anecdotal bs. "

It's not just anecdotal...you can see it all over the news that corporate PR departments are falling over themselves to show themselves as progressive and "fair" resulting in "jobs for the girls".

Both sides of the story fit.

Did you hear about the sexist government policy in Ireland of creating professor positions exclusively for women to redress the balance?....

'hard done by male' identity politics being spoken in the forums

" 'hard done by male' identity politics being spoken in the forums "

Care to elaborate?

" 'hard done by male' identity politics being spoken in the forums

Care to elaborate?"

no need ... you already understand fully chap

Care to elaborate?

no need ... you already understand fully chap"

Another of your pointless confusing tirades

Care to elaborate?

Another of your pointless confusing tirades "

you have nothing so you attack the person ... good work chap

I'll make a point here...if you wish to displace one form of inequality with a similar one in the opposite direction (to somehow "correct" for the past)...then you aren't really interested in equality at all.

Care to elaborate?

you have nothing so you attack the person ... good work chap"

Well you didn't actually say anything to add to a constructive discussion now did you? Chap

Care to elaborate?

Well you didn't actually say anything to add to a constructive discussion now did you? Chap"

but you still launch an attack on the person anyway ... good work yet again chap

Care to elaborate?

Well you didn't actually say anything to add to a constructive discussion now did you? Chap

but you still launch an attack on the person anyway ... good work yet again chap"

What attack? Are you paranoid?

Care to elaborate?

but you still launch an attack on the person anyway ... good work yet again chap

What attack? Are you paranoid?"

and you continue with the attack ... keep up that good work chap

West London

What?

I could give you examples of things men have told me .With regard to employing and promoting women.But you could rightly call it anecdotal bs.

It's not just anecdotal...you can see it all over the news that corporate PR departments are falling over themselves to show themselves as progressive and "fair" resulting in "jobs for the girls".

Did you hear about the sexist government policy in Ireland of creating professor positions exclusively for women to redress the balance?.... "

I don't have a great deal of time for this.

Will there be a few inappropriate appointments at the margin? Maybe. However, to try and imply that the pendulum has swung too far the other way and men are now getting a raw deal? Come on.

"I'll make a point here...if you wish to displace one form of inequality with a similar one in the opposite direction (to somehow "correct" for the past)...then you aren't really interested in equality at all. "

Hang on a minute you've always said there is no gender inequality.Now your acknowledging it.?

If the inequality isn't being addressed .How long should those who face inequalities have to wait for it to be addressed.

Also if you as a man are now a victim of this liberalism how long are you prepared to wait before your gripe gets acknowledged.Decades?Years? The next generation?

I think we are witnessing a cultural shift to a more gender equal society.You might well have a grievance in how that is applied but you have no chance of stopping cultural change like this .Just go with the flow.Its progressive if you like it or not.

Is the assertion that women are applying “above their skill set”.

Or they are applying above what they believe is above their skills set. And in a way men aren’t. (Because one of the reasons put forward about existing inequalities is men will apply if they tick five of ten boxes, whereas females will not apply if they miss out on three. (Numbers made up).

Or is the assertion a company / person will recruit a lesser candidate just to meet a quota?

What?

Did you hear about the sexist government policy in Ireland of creating professor positions exclusively for women to redress the balance?....

I don't have a great deal of time for this.

Will there be a few inappropriate appointments at the margin? Maybe. However, to try and imply that the pendulum has swung too far the other way and men are now getting a raw deal? Come on."

Principles principles principles

When state supported raw and open sexism is becoming the order of the day then you to stop and think.

"Is the assertion that women are applying “above their skill set”.

Or they are applying above what they believe is above their skills set. And in a way men aren’t. (Because one of the reasons put forward about existing inequalities is men will apply if they tick five of ten boxes, whereas females will not apply if they miss out on three. (Numbers made up).

Or is the assertion a company / person will recruit a lesser candidate just to meet a quota?"

The latter

"I think we are witnessing a cultural shift to a more gender equal society.You might well have a grievance in how that is applied but you have no chance of stopping cultural change like this .Just go with the flow.Its progressive if you like it or not.

"

Go with the flow is a ridiculous stance.

Why don't you go with the flow of Mr Trump and your white supremacist friends or the gift that keeps giving of Brexit?

"I think we are witnessing a cultural shift to a more gender equal society.You might well have a grievance in how that is applied but you have no chance of stopping cultural change like this .Just go with the flow.Its progressive if you like it or not.

Why don't you go with the flow of Mr Trump and your white supremacist friends or the gift that keeps giving of Brexit?

"

Those things aren't progressive.Greater equality is.

Those things aren't progressive.Greater equality is.

"

I know you are just trolling.

So you are telling me that flouting the law that says we cannot exclude on the basis of gender, race, religion or sexual orientation in the workplace to create "jobs for the girls" is equality in action?

My arse

Manchester

I'm pretty sure some on here already are?.

Manchester

Don't take my word for it, ask them where "progressivism" draws the line?.

Seriously, you'll be astonished.

It ain't homosexuality, everybody loves a rainbow flag, it ain't men and women, we all know that mem can be women and women can be men from one day to the next, it ain't the age of consent, they've argued for years to lower and lower it then equal it, it ain't adult brother and sister, a poll of liberals a few years back found that as long as it's not hurting anybody then it's "fine".

What's the next logical movement for progressives?.

Like I said from the beginning there brains ain't wired up right.

"I'll make a point here...if you wish to displace one form of inequality with a similar one in the opposite direction (to somehow "correct" for the past)...then you aren't really interested in equality at all.

Hang on a minute you've always said there is no gender inequality.Now your acknowledging it.?

If the inequality isn't being addressed .How long should those who face inequalities have to wait for it to be addressed.

Also if you as a man are now a victim of this liberalism how long are you prepared to wait before your gripe gets acknowledged.Decades?Years? The next generation? "

Nope...I'm acknowledging that plenty of fools buy the tales of oppression.

There was plenty of inequality in the past, there's virtually none now. Things changed and the laws of the land changed. Everything was fine for the past 10-15 years until radical feminists learned how to get really good at self promotion.

Let's flip this...tell me what inequalities women face today? Be specific and steer clear of any crackpot low resolution theories.

All good things in moderation

"Don't take my word for it, ask them where "progressivism" draws the line?.

It ain't homosexuality, everybody loves a rainbow flag, it ain't men and women, we all know that mem can be women and women can be men from one day to the next, it ain't the age of consent, they've argued for years to lower and lower it then equal it, it ain't adult brother and sister, a poll of liberals a few years back found that as long as it's not hurting anybody then it's "fine".

Like I said from the beginning there brains ain't wired up right."

Or even ask feminists what they want...

Them..."To crush the patriarchy"

Me..."Can you be more specific? Do you have a plan? When will you know you have achieved what you set out to do?"

Them..."Misogynist!"

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

"I'll make a point here...if you wish to displace one form of inequality with a similar one in the opposite direction (to somehow "correct" for the past)...then you aren't really interested in equality at all.

Also if you as a man are now a victim of this liberalism how long are you prepared to wait before your gripe gets acknowledged.Decades?Years? The next generation?

There was plenty of inequality in the past, there's virtually none now. Things changed and the laws of the land changed. Everything was fine for the past 10-15 years until radical feminists learned how to get really good at self promotion.

Let's flip this...tell me what inequalities women face today? Be specific and steer clear of any crackpot low resolution theories.

All good things in moderation "

This equality thing is a bit too complicated for you to grasp isnt it?

Or is the assertion a company / person will recruit a lesser candidate just to meet a quota?

The latter"

Thx for clarifying.

We must work in different industries as no owner I know would put quotas before profit. And no recruiting manager I know will make their life harder.

North West

"Don't take my word for it, ask them where "progressivism" draws the line?.

Like I said from the beginning there brains ain't wired up right."

I can’t help but wonder..... What on earth are you on about?

You are talking about weirdo perverts that somehow in your mind you have decided to label as liberal. That is your choice of association in the same way that Nazi’s chose to identify Jews as thieves, unclean and insect like because “their brains aren’t wired up right.”

I think you have a problem, especially as you are on a website that requires you to have a very open minded, tolerant and liberal attitude to others.

All good things in moderation

This equality thing is a bit too complicated for you to grasp isnt it?"

I think I'm the only person who actually gets it on first principles actually. Did you have a point to make?

The latter

Thx for clarifying.

We must work in different industries as no owner I know would put quotas before profit. And no recruiting manager I know will make their life harder. "

It depends how you view it, depending on the industry the most profitable path short term is often the one where you have the "progressive" public image.

You also assume that people act in their best economic interests...which we know from behavioural economics is certainly not always the case.

Why don't you humour me and give me your opinion on professorships that men are excluded from...in the areas of engineering and science in all places.

Science is more general but engineering is naturally a male dominated fields by virtue of general interest.

Curiously there is no attempt to make corrections in female dominated academic subjects like social sciences.

To sum it up...it's a clear example of misidentifying a problem and using the bluntest instrument to try fix it....if it's even a problem.

Why is a skewed profile in any profession a problem?...nobody makes this sort of noise about male underrepresentation in teaching or nursing.

Illogical, oversimplified, low resolution liberal views.

Do we need everything to be 50/50 in all walks of life, even if it's forced?

It’s a sign that the overwhelming number of bigots that inhabit this site have no actual argument so have to resort to insults and catchphrases. guess we can't all be as peace loving as you mate ...take in a few eh refugees and let us know how that works out for you "

I missed this!

Aren't you supposedly in the business of peace keeping?...wtf.

Mullingar is hardly overrun with refugees in any case. Remember these are people fleeing war and the destruction of their countries in many cases!

It’s a sign that the overwhelming number of bigots that inhabit this site have no actual argument so have to resort to insults and catchphrases. guess we can't all be as peace loving as you mate ...take in a few eh refugees and let us know how that works out for you

I missed this!

Mullingar is hardly overrun with refugees in any case. Remember these are people fleeing war and the destruction of their countries in many cases!"

Give us one of those crystal balls you have it must be great knowing people's intentions and real thoughts...

I think what you are saying is that positive discrimination is a bad thing because it disadvantages people who would otherwise be good enough for the job. That’s all true in terms of fairness but I’d say you have a business which is utterly masculine (scaffolders, motor mechanics, etc) how do you encourage change in those businesses to reflect equality of gender let alone race? Also why is it that women doing the same jobs as men are often found to be paid significantly less than their male counterparts. Perhaps because it’s the only way they can get a foot in the door? What do you think?

"I think what you are saying is that positive discrimination is a bad thing because it disadvantages people who would otherwise be good enough for the job. That’s all true in terms of fairness but I’d say you have a business which is utterly masculine (scaffolders, motor mechanics, etc) how do you encourage change in those businesses to reflect equality of gender let alone race? Also why is it that women doing the same jobs as men are often found to be paid significantly less than their male counterparts. Perhaps because it’s the only way they can get a foot in the door? What do you think?"

Unequal pay for the same work is illegal. Gender pay gap is a misleading gross average.

Low resolution view on a high resolution problem

It’s a sign that the overwhelming number of bigots that inhabit this site have no actual argument so have to resort to insults and catchphrases. guess we can't all be as peace loving as you mate ...take in a few eh refugees and let us know how that works out for you

I missed this!

Mullingar is hardly overrun with refugees in any case. Remember these are people fleeing war and the destruction of their countries in many cases!Give us one of those crystal balls you have it must be great knowing people's intentions and real thoughts..."

I don't...why don't you tell us in your own words what you think problem with refugees in Ireland is. The numbers are small.

I missed this!

Mullingar is hardly overrun with refugees in any case. Remember these are people fleeing war and the destruction of their countries in many cases!Give us one of those crystal balls you have it must be great knowing people's intentions and real thoughts...

I don't...why don't you tell us in your own words what you think problem with refugees in Ireland is. The numbers are small. "

there so small then that a good little sjw like yourself could prob take in one or two..

Have you read anything here?! I hate sjw's...but I also hate racists and bigots.

Balance

"I think what you are saying is that positive discrimination is a bad thing because it disadvantages people who would otherwise be good enough for the job. That’s all true in terms of fairness but I’d say you have a business which is utterly masculine (scaffolders, motor mechanics, etc) how do you encourage change in those businesses to reflect equality of gender let alone race? Also why is it that women doing the same jobs as men are often found to be paid significantly less than their male counterparts. Perhaps because it’s the only way they can get a foot in the door? What do you think?

Unequal pay for the same work is illegal. Gender pay gap is a misleading gross average.

Low resolution view on a high resolution problem "

Yes it is and that’s why I asked you because your obviously fairly intelligent and like to stir the pot in the interests of the craic and I thought you might have an interesting high resolution opinion

"I think what you are saying is that positive discrimination is a bad thing because it disadvantages people who would otherwise be good enough for the job. That’s all true in terms of fairness but I’d say you have a business which is utterly masculine (scaffolders, motor mechanics, etc) how do you encourage change in those businesses to reflect equality of gender let alone race? Also why is it that women doing the same jobs as men are often found to be paid significantly less than their male counterparts. Perhaps because it’s the only way they can get a foot in the door? What do you think?

Yes it is and that’s why I asked you because your obviously fairly intelligent and like to stir the pot in the interests of the craic and I thought you might have an interesting high resolution opinion "

It's not really about the craic...it's a public information service

We need dissenting opinions.

High resolution is looking at the pay gap through the lens of experience and tenure and time spent in work, overtime and the extra mile, the effects of negotiation and supply/demand pockets that accelerate salaries in some industries, what industries pay and who they attract, premiums for some dirty and dangerous work, aggragate differences in lifestyle preference....all sorts of stuff. It's not simple .. nothing is.

So "it's not simple" is a high resolution answer...Ok got it..

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"

Unequal pay for the same work is illegal."

Murder is illegal. I guess that never happens either?

I honestly can't think of a more 'low resolution' view of a subject than 'it's illegal, so there's no problem'

"

Unequal pay for the same work is illegal.

I honestly can't think of a more 'low resolution' view of a subject than 'it's illegal, so there's no problem' "

This is the about the fifth time I've seen you make this stupid argument yet you think that you can educate the raping out of rapists

Let's say that positive discrimination is almost analogous and about as bad as the death penalty in terms of regressiveness.

I feel sorry for your naivety.

West London

Yes it is and that’s why I asked you because your obviously fairly intelligent and like to stir the pot in the interests of the craic and I thought you might have an interesting high resolution opinion

It's not really about the craic...it's a public information service

We need dissenting opinions.

High resolution is looking at the pay gap through the lens of experience and tenure and time spent in work, overtime and the extra mile, the effects of negotiation and supply/demand pockets that accelerate salaries in some industries, what industries pay and who they attract, premiums for some dirty and dangerous work, aggragate differences in lifestyle preference....all sorts of stuff. It's not simple .. nothing is. "

You are being silly.

Sexism exists. It's an prejudice that has not been erased. Just like racism.

Equally qualified men are paid more than women in the same position performing to the same level.

You can't have tenure and experience if you aren't given the job.

If an organisation is full of men, they will tend to employ other men unless pressed to consider others equally qualified. They "know" about people like them so it's "safer" to employ people like them.

If an organisation is full of men, women will be less likely to apply. It's intimidating and their careers are less likely to progress.

Professions dominated by men are not chosen or encouraged for women from a young age so supply is very low.

Underqualified men are more likely to apply for jobs than well qualified women yet, apparently, women are the problem.

Men negotiate more aggressively than women.

You have confirmed the view that women are more worthy of criticism for similar behaviours.

Women are less able to gain promotion or have their work recognised through social interaction with their peers and managers as they are primarily responsible for childcare.

The "choice" to take this responsibility when they have children is not one men make any sacrifice for.

If do hope that you are writing here merely as a position piece to encourage debate.

That's a nice story you've told yourself.

Meanwhile wake up and look at the legal landscape, the existing gender divide tilted in favour of women at university level and the myriad programmes aimed at attracting women to stem subjects.

I'd love to invert your (frankly silly) proposition that men will only hire men....does the reverse apply in female dominated professions? What about when we tip the scales with quotas to 60/40 women.

On aggressive negotiation...it just shows innate biological differences. There are plenty of strong female negotiators..but if on average women are that bit less assertive...

1. Why is that a problem?

2. What is the solution? Can you think of one that isn't unfair?

I'd draw parallels to realms where good communication and empathy are key strengths. Women on average are innately better....how will you force society to correct for that?

Final point is that you need to get with the programme and see that child care is no longer the sole provision of the mother.

It's quite an archaic and sexist you view you are presenting.

".

Sexism exists. It's an prejudice that has not been erased. Just like racism.

"

No one is saying we live in a utopia...simply that it's only one small factor in a complicated problem around pay.

I don't see what more can be done without introducing unfairness. As it stands most employers are highly risk adverse to this stuff considering how easy it is to get a big claim where real sexism exists.

Now...moving on and accepting that people can be sexist and human nature being what it is...what guarantees can you give that men won't be abused in 5-10-15-20 years by a generation raised on a steady diet of this stuff?

#menaretrash

#killallmen

#crushthepatriarchy

We need to be principled as a society by operating on facts and coming up with fixes that ensure fairness for all, not short term vengeful plasters over the cracks.

You offer interestingly, and commonly believed, hypothesis. How much have you looked to find evidence for these?

From my (limited) exposure to the academia.

Outright bias (concious or unconscious) plays only a small part in differences. It’s worth noting, with unconscious bias at least, there is no difference between men and women, we are (in general) biased in the same ways.

Men do tend to negotiated “harder” and more often. And may apply when underwulaified. But this may be because women are better picking their fights. We’d bowed to prove this behaviour changes outcomes. I recall a HBR which suggested negotiation outcomes were similar.

There is a difference there’s an interesting debate how much we need to change men (from applying “too soon”) and women (who apply “too late”). Both have equal opportunity to apply but it’s conditioning which changes their decision. Question is does the too soon man get the job above a women who does apply. Or do they get it by default? And whose fault is that.

Where you alluded to some deeper structural differences, it is a society issue not just a man issue. Is there an agenda by men to prevent young girls from focusing on science and maths?

And is there a bias at grad level where experience is limited ? After all we all start with nil experience.

This could be a while new thread.

"You offer interestingly, and commonly believed, hypothesis. How much have you looked to find evidence for these?

From my (limited) exposure to the academia.

Outright bias (concious or unconscious) plays only a small part in differences. It’s worth noting, with unconscious bias at least, there is no difference between men and women, we are (in general) biased in the same ways.

Men do tend to negotiated “harder” and more often. And may apply when underwulaified. But this may be because women are better picking their fights. We’d bowed to prove this behaviour changes outcomes. I recall a HBR which suggested negotiation outcomes were similar.

There is a difference there’s an interesting debate how much we need to change men (from applying “too soon”) and women (who apply “too late”). Both have equal opportunity to apply but it’s conditioning which changes their decision. Question is does the too soon man get the job above a women who does apply. Or do they get it by default? And whose fault is that.

Where you alluded to some deeper structural differences, it is a society issue not just a man issue. Is there an agenda by men to prevent young girls from focusing on science and maths?

And is there a bias at grad level where experience is limited ? After all we all start with nil experience.

This could be a while new thread.

"

I was amused by the bit about tenure and not getting the job in the first place...remembering we were trying to explain why a man and a woman in the same or similar role might be paid differently

Can we not turn this into a gender pay gap thing or make a new thread please?..All the media focus has fed people the most basic dullard arguments and it's painful to try to get the indoctrinated to be nuanced in their thinking.

There is no racism or sexism.According to white males...

Enough said...

"There is no racism or sexism.According to white males...

Enough said... "

Please tell me you see your own irony

Enough said...

Please tell me you see your own irony "

Sorry flash I'm going to have go anecdotal like yourself..So

Quick question .To those who says there is no discrimination in the Uk

How many times did my 10 year old son get called a "nigger" in 2018 art school..??

Bounus points if you can tell me the punishment the school gave..

London

"

I honestly can't think of a more 'low resolution' view of a subject than 'it's illegal, so there's no problem'

This is the about the fifth time I've seen you make this stupid argument yet you think that you can educate the raping out of rapists

Let's say that positive discrimination is almost analogous and about as bad as the death penalty in terms of regressiveness.

I feel sorry for your naivety. "

That's a lot of babble without saying anything that actually responds to my point.

That something is illegal does not mean it does not happen.

Enough said...

How many times did my 10 year old son get called a "nigger" in 2018 art school..??

"

How many times did you get called a wigga?

Anyway you are just trolling. Plenty of actual racists here for for your attention

I'm busy writing a letter to get your son a diversity spot in the Lourve.

"

I feel sorry for your naivety.

That's a lot of babble without saying anything that actually responds to my point.

That something is illegal does not mean it does not happen. "

Like all crime.

I suggest you go campaign against murder first and when you've solved all of humanities problems then we can concern ourselves with the trivial minutea.

Enough said...

How many times did you get called a wigga?

Anyway you are just trolling. Plenty of actual racists here for for your attention

I'm busy writing a letter to get your son a diversity spot in the Lourve. "

Twice w is the answer but you probably thinking he's a libtard making shit up and sub human..

The punishment was 3 weeks of lunch with headmaster explaining why it's wrong.

But again none of this could ever If happened according to the neo con clowns...

Anyway bobby as a white guy it's illegal for you to use the N word

London

"Like all crime.

I suggest you go campaign against murder first and when you've solved all of humanities problems then we can concern ourselves with the trivial minutea"

It's really hard for you to focus on the actual point being made, isn't it?

But yes, like all crime. And that's why 'it's illegal so there can't be a problem' is a silly, low resolution argument and, now you can avoid making it in future! Hurrah!