FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Why carry on with brexit?.

Why carry on with brexit?.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Did you also watch question time yesterday? It was good and democracy will be tested as they wont get a good deal. UK will be more and more divided and austerity will increase as the economy will be hit hard, whats your view?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Did you also watch question time yesterday? It was good and democracy will be tested as they wont get a good deal. UK will be more and more divided and austerity will increase as the economy will be hit hard, whats your view?"

Just give up and stay in....

By *tella HeelsTV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

I’d like to do as the person above, but we had a vote and we are a democratic country, the vote said out!!

One thing I would point out, if as you say why don’t we stay, our strong position within the Eu will have gone, I also feel we will be annexed into the EU and loose our identity as British

Personally I need us to stay! I want to stay in Europe a few years before going further afield... be easier if we was still in.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I thought it was interesting how much support there was to just crash out on WTO rules, I believe that must happen now. I think Macron threatening us over fishing rights was as big a gaff as Kinnock crowing 'well all right...'......it has only served to remind people just how controlling the EU is and why we want shot of the whole corrupt mob as soon as possible.

By *NT LoversCouple  over a year ago

Manchester Warrington

Common market ...yes

Federalisation ...no

There's only Germany and us bankrolling the rest. We had a democratic vote ... stick to it or why bother with voting and democracy at all !

"Common market ...yes

Federalisation ...no

There's only Germany and us bankrolling the rest. We had a democratic vote ... stick to it or why bother with voting and democracy at all !"

Agreed... people are so scared of the unknown and all the scare mongering that we won't be able to trade with anyone... all it would take are some enterprising entrepreneurs to open factories egg to replace the goods we can't import... improve the jobs market... and give us more exportable goods. It's not rocket science

By *ulfilthmentMan  over a year ago

Just around the corner

And if it all goes belly up overnight as predicted that’s okay then?

I think that it will come to another vote tbh I don’t think us the public had enough idea of what we were actually voting for most thought immigration would change well helllooo it will be the same

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

"Did you also watch question time yesterday? It was good and democracy will be tested as they wont get a good deal. UK will be more and more divided and austerity will increase as the economy will be hit hard, whats your view?

Just give up and stay in...."

bollocks

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

London (till 19th May)

Gone to far now if we decided to stay any authority and credibility we had is gone.

Similar would we be any worse off out of the EU it was not exactly bed of roses for people outside of London anyway.

"I thought it was interesting how much support there was to just crash out on WTO rules, I believe that must happen now. I think Macron threatening us over fishing rights was as big a gaff as Kinnock crowing 'well all right...'......it has only served to remind people just how controlling the EU is and why we want shot of the whole corrupt mob as soon as possible. "

"And if it all goes belly up overnight as predicted that’s okay then?"

It isn't going to go belly up overnight.... we have a 2 year period where we are still in the same trading agreement we are in now!

What happened to the British spirit? No matter what we will make the best of it, and come out of it stronger... it's what we do!

I got bored of Brexit along time ago, the worse thing to come out of this is the amount of threads there are on it, for that reason I wish we didn’t bother. You just presume the people at the top have the knowledge to do the right thing, it shouldn’t have come down to this.

But at least it’s given you unlimited amount of threads on the subject Op.

durham

"I think that it will come to another vote tbh I don’t think us the public had enough idea of what we were actually voting for most thought immigration would change well helllooo it will be the same "
it wasn't all about immigration . I had enough of the circus . we don't need nor want another vote .its not a game .

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

"I thought it was interesting how much support there was to just crash out on WTO rules, I believe that must happen now. I think Macron threatening us over fishing rights was as big a gaff as Kinnock crowing 'well all right...'......it has only served to remind people just how controlling the EU is and why we want shot of the whole corrupt mob as soon as possible. "

Not one single person who believes we should ‘crash out on WTO rules’ has anything approaching even the simplest understanding of what that means for this country.

By *ennythelionMan  over a year ago

Derby

We Joined the "Common Market". not a United States of Europe. Get real and lets get out!

durham

"We Joined the "Common Market". not a United States of Europe. Get real and lets get out!"
absolutely

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

The EU is going to collapse on itself before too long anyway, we're still better off out of it.

I see the EU is now asking France to hand over its seat on the UN security council to them. They aren't even hiding the power grab anymore

"Did you also watch question time yesterday? It was good and democracy will be tested as they wont get a good deal. UK will be more and more divided and austerity will increase as the economy will be hit hard, whats your view?"
we are part of Europe that will never change, the vote which took us to Brexit was about immigration and the policies that have allowed 2 million foreign workers into our country, whether our immigration policy will be changed I do not know it should have been looked at 50 years ago it's too late now but the vote was solely about that and it certainly woke our last primeminister up he didn't have a clue as to the depth of feeling on that one did he?

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"I got bored of Brexit along time ago, the worse thing to come out of this is the amount of threads there are on it, for that reason I wish we didn’t bother. You just presume the people at the top have the knowledge to do the right thing, it shouldn’t have come down to this.

But at least it’s given you unlimited amount of threads on the subject Op."

I'm going to start a brexit thread about having less or more Brexit threads.

I'll get people to vote on less or more Brexit threads.

Once the voting done I'll start a thread on why we should run the vote again because it wasn't democratic as only the forum users voted.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Can you remember to start your threads about politics in the right section please

By *ustaceSmithMan  over a year ago

Saxmundham

It is too late for a no deal Brexit. The deal on the table is vassalage, possibly permanents under the backstop. The first step to take is to withdraw the Article 50 notification letter, and for the first time consider the available options and make a rational decision. A Royal Commission would be appropriate.

If it's true that we import more to the EU than we import then i think us crashing out will leave a big hole in the EU's finances. I don't believe it's in their interest to allow that to happen.

It's turned into a game of hard ball, who blinks first. We should grab our balls, ditch May's deal and see what happens.

By *couseratMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"Common market ...yes

Federalisation ...no

There's only Germany and us bankrolling the rest. We had a democratic vote ... stick to it or why bother with voting and democracy at all !

Agreed... people are so scared of the unknown and all the scare mongering that we won't be able to trade with anyone... all it would take are some enterprising entrepreneurs to open factories egg to replace the goods we can't import... improve the jobs market... and give us more exportable goods. It's not rocket science"

The reason we import items is that it is cheaper to make outside of the UK.

Take for instance Marks and Spencer's suits, they buy them in at under £5 for an average suit, they get them pressed and stored in the UK and charge a lot more for them.

Also who will work in these factories, as in my experience most people are not too fond of hard work. Working at Gatwick I saw induction groups of 30 people, then go down to 5 eastern Europeans when they find out they have to work at 4am in the morning.

"Did you also watch question time yesterday? It was good and democracy will be tested as they wont get a good deal. UK will be more and more divided and austerity will increase as the economy will be hit hard, whats your view?we are part of Europe that will never change, the vote which took us to Brexit was about immigration and the policies that have allowed 2 million foreign workers into our country, whether our immigration policy will be changed I do not know it should have been looked at 50 years ago it's too late now but the vote was solely about that and it certainly woke our last primeminister up he didn't have a clue as to the depth of feeling on that one did he? "

So EU migration is now at its lowest since 2012 @ 74,000. However the rest of the world mmigration has increased to 248,000 - so we have swapped EU for mainly Asian migrants - a big circle - over to you Enoch!

P.S. The level has remained static - #takebackcontrolofourborders

(We are supposed to have control of the rest of the world immigration )-

"Did you also watch question time yesterday? It was good and democracy will be tested as they wont get a good deal. UK will be more and more divided and austerity will increase as the economy will be hit hard, whats your view?we are part of Europe that will never change, the vote which took us to Brexit was about immigration and the policies that have allowed 2 million foreign workers into our country, whether our immigration policy will be changed I do not know it should have been looked at 50 years ago it's too late now but the vote was solely about that and it certainly woke our last primeminister up he didn't have a clue as to the depth of feeling on that one did he?

So EU migration is now at its lowest since 2012 @ 74,000. However the rest of the world mmigration has increased to 248,000 - so we have swapped EU for mainly Asian migrants - a big circle - over to you Enoch!

P.S. The level has remained static - #takebackcontrolofourborders

(We are supposed to have control of the rest of the world immigration )- "

awwww Enoch and Wedgwood memories of a time best forgotten

"If it's true that we import more to the EU than we import then i think us crashing out will leave a big hole in the EU's finances. I don't believe it's in their interest to allow that to happen.

It's turned into a game of hard ball, who blinks first. We should grab our balls, ditch May's deal and see what happens."

But we don't. We import more FROM the EU than we export to it - and this was the reason for the stance of many of the hard brexiteers.

20% of cars manufactured in Germnay come here, just to give one example.

I would imagine that the CEO's of the likes of VW, BMW and Mercedes may be privately concerned about us leaving with no deal as this would likely mean that their products would become more expensive to us under WTO terms, which, in turn, would likely harm sales.

Publicly, of course, they will never admit to this.

As the 2nd highest contributor to the EU and the 5th largest global economy, our departure is going to be extremely damaging to the whole EU project, as it will leave Germany and France as the only countries actually paying in - ALL other EU countries are on the take.

The 'deal' that the Prime Minister is trying to push through will see us paying in far more than the 39 Billion Euros that is continually being mentioned.

By *aren grantTV/TS  over a year ago

kyle

When considering whether to leave or stay, rather than looking at the EU as it is now we should be thinking about what it will be in 10 - 20 yrs time as it moves inexorably towards total integration. Within a couple of decades national governments will be lucky if they are allowed to set local bus timetables and our Parliament will be redundant as a meaningful legislative body.

"If it's true that we import more to the EU than we import then i think us crashing out will leave a big hole in the EU's finances. I don't believe it's in their interest to allow that to happen.

It's turned into a game of hard ball, who blinks first. We should grab our balls, ditch May's deal and see what happens.

But we don't. We import more FROM the EU than we export to it - and this was the reason for the stance of many of the hard brexiteers.

I would imagine that the CEO's of the likes of VW, BMW and Mercedes may be privately concerned about us leaving with no deal as this would likely mean that their products would become more expensive to us under WTO terms, which, in turn, would likely harm sales.

As the 2nd highest contributor to the EU and the 5th largest global economy, our departure is going to be extremely damaging to the whole EU project, as it will leave Germany and France as the only countries actually paying in - ALL other EU countries are on the take.

The 'deal' that the Prime Minister is trying to push through will see us paying in far more than the 39 Billion Euros that is continually being mentioned."

Import more from the EU than we export to them, that's what i meant. Apologies for the confusion, it's been a long week.

The 'deal' that the Prime Minister is trying to push through will see us paying in far more than the 39 Billion Euros that is continually being mentioned."

Not factual at all. The Netherlands are a "pay more in" as do several others.

But to get back to the Farage argument - cars yes we are the 2nd biggest market after the USA - €25bn but there are 7 EU countries in German top 15 importers - their total is €70bn - so €50bn more and there's another 19 countries sales to add to it! Hence German manufacturers keeping quiet!

As for economic size - depending on how you measure it you can have 3 different answers 5th, 6th & 7th. Amazing what you can do with figures?

The 'deal' that the Prime Minister is trying to push through will see us paying in far more than the 39 Billion Euros that is continually being mentioned.

Import more from the EU than we export to them, that's what i meant. Apologies for the confusion, it's been a long week. "

At this moment in time the UK exports for everything are:

EU 44%

EU trade deal's with other countries outside the EU 16%

Rest of the world 39%

All add up to 100%.

Yes we import more than we export - that's why we are in the shit!

Import more from the EU than we export to them, that's what i meant. Apologies for the confusion, it's been a long week.

EU 44%

Rest of the world 39%

All add up to 100%.

Yes we import more than we export - that's why we are in the shit! "

The fact remains that the EU has to make our departure as difficult as possible. If we come out of this relatively unscathed then France and Italy are sure to follow.

If that happens the EU is dead in the water, no more cushy jobs for EU bureaucrats.

By *ean299Man  over a year ago

Lucan

"And if it all goes belly up overnight as predicted that’s okay then?

It isn't going to go belly up overnight.... we have a 2 year period where we are still in the same trading agreement we are in now!

What happened to the British spirit? No matter what we will make the best of it, and come out of it stronger... it's what we do!"

If you crash out there is NO 2 year transition period. That only kicks in as part of the deal.

EU 44%

Rest of the world 39%

All add up to 100%.

The fact remains that the EU has to make our departure as difficult as possible. If we come out of this relatively unscathed then France and Italy are sure to follow.

If that happens the EU is dead in the water, no more cushy jobs for EU bureaucrats."

Selon a vous!

I assume that you have never been through a divorce?

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

"

If that happens the EU is dead in the water, no more cushy jobs for EU bureaucrats."

How is the EU stopping the UK from leaving?

EU 44%

Rest of the world 39%

All add up to 100%.

If that happens the EU is dead in the water, no more cushy jobs for EU bureaucrats.

Selon a vous!

I assume that you have never been through a divorce? "

Perhaps, we'll just have to wait and see. They've been making noises about it but they lack our balls to go for it.

"

"

I didn't say they were.

Bristol East

"

I didn't say they were. "

You said the EU was making it difficult for the UK to leave.

What are they doing to make it difficult?

The UK leaves on March 29.

"Did you also watch question time yesterday? It was good and democracy will be tested as they wont get a good deal. UK will be more and more divided and austerity will increase as the economy will be hit hard, whats your view?

Just give up and stay in...."

"

I didn't say they were.

"

By trying to negotiate a deal so universally shit in the hope that we'll lose our nerve and have a second referendum. Personally i think the EU bureaucrats are secretly bricking it and i think they're playing a dangerous game. It's just a pity we put a remainer in charge of the negotiations, i thought she'd do a good job, it transpires not.

It was also interesting how they didnt talk so much about how important eu is for northern ireland.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

The Eu are giving us the worst deal they possibly can as other posters have said they really can't afford to lose us.Lets just get on with it and I'm sure the UK will rise to the challenge find new markets and make a success of it.

Bristol East

Probably because they know - and the UK Government knows - just how catastrophic the alternative is for the UK.

"Probably because they know - and the UK Government knows - just how catastrophic the alternative is for the UK.

"

Doom saying and scare mongering. This is an exciting time for us as a nation, as individuals and for business. If only we can keep our nerve. Vive la revolution.

"

I didn't say they were.

By trying to negotiate a deal so universally shit in the hope that we'll lose our nerve and have a second referendum. Personally i think the EU bureaucrats are secretly bricking it and i think they're playing a dangerous game. It's just a pity we put a remainer in charge of the negotiations, i thought she'd do a good job, it transpires not."

In fairness to May, she was asked to bake a cake with ingredients of dog shit, camel nuts and a dead rat.

She was given an impossible task. There is no good deal, nothing that will give us close to what we have as a member of the EU, and nothing that will satisfy those who want less immigration and more sovereignty.

near ipswich

"Probably because they know - and the UK Government knows - just how catastrophic the alternative is for the UK.

"

we heard all that before what a disaster a vote to leave would be in fact instead of mass unemployment we had the opposite.

Doom saying and scare mongering. This is an exciting time for us as a nation, as individuals and for business. If only we can keep our nerve. Vive la revolution."

What are the things to be excited about as a nation or as individuals?

Bristol East

"

Doom saying and scare mongering. This is an exciting time for us as a nation, as individuals and for business. If only we can keep our nerve. Vive la revolution."

An S & M fan, obviously.

Just wondering but are you in JRM’s constituency by any chance?

Doom saying and scare mongering. This is an exciting time for us as a nation, as individuals and for business. If only we can keep our nerve. Vive la revolution.

What are the things to be excited about as a nation or as individuals?"

Great change is always exciting. Finally the freedom to chart our own path, decide our own laws and how we spend our own money (assuming May's deal is ditched).

We were once a nation of innovators, we can be once more but we've spent so long being dictated to by Brussels that we don't know any different. It's time to keep a firm grip of our collective balls, it might be tough in the interim but freedom is worth the price.

"

I didn't say they were.

By trying to negotiate a deal so universally shit in the hope that we'll lose our nerve and have a second referendum. Personally i think the EU bureaucrats are secretly bricking it and i think they're playing a dangerous game. It's just a pity we put a remainer in charge of the negotiations, i thought she'd do a good job, it transpires not.

In fairness to May, she was asked to bake a cake with ingredients of dog shit, camel nuts and a dead rat.

She was given an impossible task. There is no good deal, nothing that will give us close to what we have as a member of the EU, and nothing that will satisfy those who want less immigration and more sovereignty."

I thought the referendum was to break away from Brussels, instead we're still tied to mummy's apron strings. The voting population has been betrayed.

Bristol East

So the decline of Britain's industry, the sale of all our assets to foreign investors, the transfer of public utilities to the nationalised industries of foreign governments . . . it's been the fault of those nasty people in Brussels. Well, who knew that?

Bristol East

I am afraid to say that crashing out of the EU is basically a right-wing coup that millions of UK citizens wouldl be made to suffer for.

Great change is always exciting. Finally the freedom to chart our own path, decide our own laws and how we spend our own money (assuming May's deal is ditched).

We were once a nation of innovators, we can be once more but we've spent so long being dictated to by Brussels that we don't know any different. It's time to keep a firm grip of our collective balls, it might be tough in the interim but freedom is worth the price."

None of this is anything concrete. Just hope.

We already create most of our own laws for example, and the EU directives are largely for our benefit. Workers rights for example. Putting ingredients on food, having a menu on the wall of the restaurant. The country of origin of your food. Just some random examples. It’s all good.

The reason the rich elites want Brexit is so they can remove all this “red tape”. So they can squeeze even more money out of us.

The only opportunities we’re going to have is to have worse lives with less control over our own direction and less cash.

"I am afraid to say that crashing out of the EU is basically a right-wing coup that millions of UK citizens wouldl be made to suffer for.

"

Nailed it. This is the single purpose of Brexit, to make the ultra rich, richer.

The irony is that churchill created the eu to have peace after the war, he was not a little englander and then thatcher created the single market

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"Common market ...yes

Federalisation ...no

Agreed... people are so scared of the unknown and all the scare mongering that we won't be able to trade with anyone... all it would take are some enterprising entrepreneurs to open factories egg to replace the goods we can't import... improve the jobs market... and give us more exportable goods. It's not rocket science"

Yep, sooo easy - why don’t you open some factories then? Smples

"The irony is that churchill created the eu to have peace after the war, he was not a little englander and then thatcher created the single market "

Er, No.

Churchill did not create the EU. The EU did not exist until 1993.

We were already in the EEC (the single market) before Margaret Thatcher became Prime Minister. It was Edward Heath who joined us up to the single market in 1973.

Breaking news. Donald Tusk has issued a statement saying that if the UK rejects Teresa May's deal then we either leave with No Deal or abandon Brexit alltogether.

That said, Corbyn and Labour still won't listen and will still bang on about being able to get a better deal.

So MP's have a tough choice.

The majority of them don't like the PM's deal, but they reckon that parliament won't allow us to leave with No Deal and yet I very much doubt that any of them (with the exception of Lib Dems and SNP) who would wish to go against the electorate and abandon Brexit.

If I were a gambling man, my money would be on No Deal.

The greatest obstacle to change is fear, fear is all i hear from remainers. When did we become so afraid? It's not in our heritage.

"The irony is that churchill created the eu to have peace after the war, he was not a little englander and then thatcher created the single market

Er, No.

We were already in the EEC (the single market) before Margaret Thatcher became Prime Minister. It was Edward Heath who joined us up to the single market in 1973.

Breaking news. Donald Tusk has issued a statement saying that if the UK rejects Teresa May's deal then we either leave with No Deal or abandon Brexit alltogether.

That said, Corbyn and Labour still won't listen and will still bang on about being able to get a better deal.

The majority of them don't like the PM's deal, but they reckon that parliament won't allow us to leave with No Deal and yet I very much doubt that any of them (with the exception of Lib Dems and SNP) who would wish to go against the electorate and abandon Brexit.

If I were a gambling man, my money would be on No Deal."

No deal.

"The greatest obstacle to change is fear, fear is all i hear from remainers. When did we become so afraid? It's not in our heritage."

Fear prevents people doing stupid shit.That gets them killed.

"The greatest obstacle to change is fear, fear is all i hear from remainers. When did we become so afraid? It's not in our heritage.

Fear prevents people doing stupid shit.That gets them killed. "

Fear prevents people from exploring other possibilities, from taking chances. If we had exhibited this level of fear at the dawn of the human race we'd still be living in caves and eating berries.

Bristol East

"The greatest obstacle to change is fear, fear is all i hear from remainers. When did we become so afraid? It's not in our heritage."

I prefer to think of risks.

How to mitigate them.

Leaving the EU is feasible.

If there is a plan.

One that includes risk mitigation.

There isn't.

That's the problem.

No-one ever came up with a plan, just rhetoric and slogans on a bus.

"The greatest obstacle to change is fear, fear is all i hear from remainers. When did we become so afraid? It's not in our heritage.

Fear prevents people from exploring other possibilities, from taking chances. If we had exhibited this level of fear at the dawn of the human race we'd still be living in caves and eating berries. "

So in conclusion, some fear is good. Too much fear stops you from achieveing.

In this instance, it seems perfectly reasonable to have fear for our future as all the signs show we are going he wrong way.

Why did people vote brexit ?

Fear of immigration causing over crowding

Fear of immigration reducing standard of living

Fear the Eu will “take control” of our laws in a way we don’t like.

Fear of an Eu army.

The world was changing. We were scared. No one sold the benefits of their case without resorting to fear of the flip side.

Fear prevents people from exploring other possibilities, from taking chances. If we had exhibited this level of fear at the dawn of the human race we'd still be living in caves and eating berries. "

The bottom line is that fear is intended to keep us safe. Most people are familiar with the fight-or flight response. When our lives are threatened, physiology kicks in to protect us. We are hardwired for self-preservation.

Fear prevents people from exploring other possibilities, from taking chances. If we had exhibited this level of fear at the dawn of the human race we'd still be living in caves and eating berries.

The bottom line is that fear is intended to keep us safe. Most people are familiar with the fight-or flight response. When our lives are threatened, physiology kicks in to protect us. We are hardwired for self-preservation.

"

Tell that to the innovators, the explorers and inventors in our history. They were able to overcome fear, a skill some of us seem to lack.

Tell that to the innovators, the explorers and inventors in our history. They were able to overcome fear, a skill some of us seem to lack. "

The dead tell no tales...

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Bob fear stops us doing stupid shit that gets us killed now it’s there to protect us when our lives are threatened lol what are you expecting when we leave the eu war lol

"Bob fear stops us doing stupid shit that gets us killed now it’s there to protect us when our lives are threatened lol what are you expecting when we leave the eu war lol"

No just economic suicide . People are rightly concerned and fearful about the economic consequences of no deal .Telling the public everything will be ok ,trust me ...Doesn't cut it anymore..

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"Common market ...yes

Federalisation ...no

There's only Germany and us bankrolling the rest. We had a democratic vote ... stick to it or why bother with voting and democracy at all !"

Exactly and the first sentence is the reason I voted leave and the second is why a fair few people who I know and voted remain would now vote leave,I think the remain camp would be in for abig shock if we have another vote

"Common market ...yes

Federalisation ...no

Exactly and the first sentence is the reason I voted leave and the second is why a fair few people who I know and voted remain would now vote leave,I think the remain camp would be in for abig shock if we have another vote"

When we joined the EEC in '73 i guess it seemed like a good idea; free trade and economic integration.

If we'd known then what a lumbering, intrusive behemoth it would become i don't think we'd have been so eager.

We should get out now while we have the chance before we get sucked deeper into the mire.

"Common market ...yes

Federalisation ...no

Exactly and the first sentence is the reason I voted leave and the second is why a fair few people who I know and voted remain would now vote leave,I think the remain camp would be in for abig shock if we have another vote"

if they are in for a shock, why is there such a reluctance for a second vote. The fear (that word again) is the will of the people has changed. Not hardened.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

The EU import plenty from Turkey and there are many Turkish people working / living here and in the EU. What is their EU deal like?

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

And therein is the simple mindset of the Brextremist.

No need to plan

No need to think

No need for a risk analysis

No need for a budget

We just need to brave

A bit like the Generals who just wanted young and ignorant cannon fodder to go "over the top" a hundred years ago.

Don't be afraid son, you are British.

Hey guess what...

Why do you think that almost every nation on earth tries to get into trading blocs with each other? Go on, have a guess...

OK, I will tell you...

Because together, everyone achieves more and isolated countries get trodden all over. That is why we joined in the first place and if anything those reasons are more profound today than they were back then.

"Common market ...yes

Federalisation ...no

Exactly and the first sentence is the reason I voted leave and the second is why a fair few people who I know and voted remain would now vote leave,I think the remain camp would be in for abig shock if we have another voteif they are in for a shock, why is there such a reluctance for a second vote. The fear (that word again) is the will of the people has changed. Not hardened. "

That's why brexiters are so keen on a no deal they are terrified of a second vote .

They'd rather crash out and ruin the economy than give the people a choice.Luckily our politicians aren't so emotionally driven by fervent ideology.

No need to plan

No need to think

No need for a budget

We just need to brave

A bit like the Generals who just wanted young and ignorant cannon fodder to go "over the top" a hundred years ago.

Hey guess what...

Why do you think that almost every nation on earth tries to get into trading blocs with each other? Go on, have a guess...

OK, I will tell you...

Because together, everyone achieves more and isolated countries get trodden all over. That is why we joined in the first place and if anything those reasons are more profound today than they were back then."

The EU stopped being just a trading bloc years ago and is far removed from what it was when we first joined.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

EU 44%

Rest of the world 39%

All add up to 100%.

We sell 44% of what we produce to the EU and 16% to those with EU trade deals.

60% total associated with the EU.

The rest of the EU sells 8% of their output to us.

If our goods and services become more expensive or harder to obtain they can find a substitute within the remaining 27 at a similar price. We cannot substitute in the same way.

Why is any other country "sure to follow"? Based on what? No other country wants to leave the Euro or the EU. It's all about immigration.

How and why will our economy get stronger outside the EU? Germany is China's biggest trading partner with all the "red tape" that you complain about. How come they can do it now but we can't?

Bristol East

"

The EU stopped being just a trading bloc years ago and is far removed from what it was when we first joined."

Each evolution was supported by the UK Government and endorsed by the UK Parliament.

near ipswich

"Common market ...yes

Federalisation ...no

Exactly and the first sentence is the reason I voted leave and the second is why a fair few people who I know and voted remain would now vote leave,I think the remain camp would be in for abig shock if we have another voteif they are in for a shock, why is there such a reluctance for a second vote. The fear (that word again) is the will of the people has changed. Not hardened.

That's why brexiters are so keen on a no deal they are terrified of a second vote .

They'd rather crash out and ruin the economy than give the people a choice.Luckily our politicians aren't so emotionally driven by fervent ideology.

"

Brexiteers won the vote why would they want another? If there was another vote and leave won what would you do then???? Probably demand another.

West London

"Common market ...yes

Federalisation ...no

Exactly and the first sentence is the reason I voted leave and the second is why a fair few people who I know and voted remain would now vote leave,I think the remain camp would be in for abig shock if we have another voteif they are in for a shock, why is there such a reluctance for a second vote. The fear (that word again) is the will of the people has changed. Not hardened.

Brexiteers won the vote why would they want another? If there was another vote and leave won what would you do then???? Probably demand another. "

Labour won a general election in 1997.

Why would they want another one?

Why do we keep demanding more general elections?

durham

"Common market ...yes

Federalisation ...no

Brexiteers won the vote why would they want another? If there was another vote and leave won what would you do then???? Probably demand another. "

yes the remoaners would probably want to keep on voting indefinately till they won . get a grip life is not like that .

No need to plan

No need to think

No need for a budget

We just need to brave

Hey guess what...

OK, I will tell you...

Because together, everyone achieves more and isolated countries get trodden all over. That is why we joined in the first place and if anything those reasons are more profound today than they were back then.

The EU stopped being just a trading bloc years ago and is far removed from what it was when we first joined."

Blah blah blah you still haven’t answered my question as to whether you are in Jacob Rees Moggs constituency and by implication swept up in his sphere of influence? I don’t mind what twaddle you peddle, it’s just interesting to get a little insight as to why

By *rMrsDublinCouple  over a year ago

dublin

This point is the most common misunderstanding by Brute regarding Brexit. It is true that the UK export more to the EU than they import. However, this does not mean that therefore the EU will suffer more. The EU market for the UK is 44% while the UK market for the EU is 6%. The EU is vastly bigger than the UK so the loss of UK business is tolerable to the EU. However, the loss of the EU business is a huge blow to the UK.

North West

"................

How and why will our economy get stronger outside the EU? Germany is China's biggest trading partner with all the "red tape" that you complain about. How come they can do it now but we can't?"

This a very, very good point and it surprises me greatly that journalists do not question Brexiters about this kind of stuff when they go on about "forging great new deals around the world". How is any deal we do with China going to be more advantageous to the UK that the deal that the EU has and thereby - how will the UK then suddenly end up selling more the China?

Chudleigh

"Common market ...yes

Federalisation ...no

The 17m don’t go round enmass, so given how much of a cod’s it looks like now, good chance a lot would be happy to vote again.

No, we still need to leave and reap the results.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"Common market ...yes

Federalisation ...no

Brexiteers won the vote why would they want another? If there was another vote and leave won what would you do then???? Probably demand another.

Why do we keep demanding more general elections?"

What a stupid argument. A referendum is completely different to a general election. It's already decided and established before you have a general election that it's a 5 year parliamentary cycle. It's a fixed 5 year term for government.

It was already decided before the referendum that this would be a once in a generation opportunity to vote on membership of the EU. Remember Cameron's £9 million quid taxpayer funded remain propaganda leaflet, it said in there this would be a once in a generation opportunity to vote on this and the government would carry out the instruction of the British people. The leaflet was delivered to every house in the country so everyone knew this was a once in a generation vote.

Cannock

"This point is the most common misunderstanding by Brute regarding Brexit. It is true that the UK export more to the EU than they import. However, this does not mean that therefore the EU will suffer more. The EU market for the UK is 44% while the UK market for the EU is 6%. The EU is vastly bigger than the UK so the loss of UK business is tolerable to the EU. However, the loss of the EU business is a huge blow to the UK."

92% of British businesses don't do any trade with the EU.

Cannock

"................

How and why will our economy get stronger outside the EU? Germany is China's biggest trading partner with all the "red tape" that you complain about. How come they can do it now but we can't?

This a very, very good point and it surprises me greatly that journalists do not question Brexiters about this kind of stuff when they go on about "forging great new deals around the world". How is any deal we do with China going to be more advantageous to the UK that the deal that the EU has and thereby - how will the UK then suddenly end up selling more the China?"

The EU doesn't have a trade deal with China.

[Removed by poster at 30/11/18 17:24:35]

...Up on the Downs

"I thought it was interesting how much support there was to just crash out on WTO rules, I believe that must happen now. I think Macron threatening us over fishing rights was as big a gaff as Kinnock crowing 'well all right...'......it has only served to remind people just how controlling the EU is and why we want shot of the whole corrupt mob as soon as possible.

When considering whether to leave or stay, rather than looking at the EU as it is now we should be thinking about what it will be in 10 - 20 yrs time as it moves inexorably towards total integration. Within a couple of decades national governments will be lucky if they are allowed to set local bus timetables and our Parliament will be redundant as a meaningful legislative body."

Exactly, it's been obvious for years, that's why I've wanted out for years. Domination, manipulation, control and corruption.....we must be free of it.

...Up on the Downs

Haha, yeah, vive la difference!!

...Up on the Downs

We were once a nation of innovators, we can be once more but we've spent so long being dictated to by Brussels that we don't know any different. It's time to keep a firm grip of our collective balls, it might be tough in the interim but freedom is worth the price."

Yup, it is about freedom, I truly believe the EU has become an oppressive force.

Chudleigh

"This point is the most common misunderstanding by Brute regarding Brexit. It is true that the UK export more to the EU than they import. However, this does not mean that therefore the EU will suffer more. The EU market for the UK is 44% while the UK market for the EU is 6%. The EU is vastly bigger than the UK so the loss of UK business is tolerable to the EU. However, the loss of the EU business is a huge blow to the UK.

92% of British businesses don't do any trade with the EU. "

Every single UK business trades with the EU, the entire supply chain is based on this. It doesn’t matter if you are a corner shop or HSBC, every business is going to be impacted.

Chudleigh

We were once a nation of innovators, we can be once more but we've spent so long being dictated to by Brussels that we don't know any different. It's time to keep a firm grip of our collective balls, it might be tough in the interim but freedom is worth the price.

Yup, it is about freedom, I truly believe the EU has become an oppressive force."

Belief systems are personal, we see the diametric opposite.

...Up on the Downs

Yup, it is about freedom, I truly believe the EU has become an oppressive force.

Belief systems are personal, we see the diametric opposite. "

It's not a system, it's a conclusion based on my observations.

"This point is the most common misunderstanding by Brute regarding Brexit. It is true that the UK export more to the EU than they import. However, this does not mean that therefore the EU will suffer more. The EU market for the UK is 44% while the UK market for the EU is 6%. The EU is vastly bigger than the UK so the loss of UK business is tolerable to the EU. However, the loss of the EU business is a huge blow to the UK.

92% of British businesses don't do any trade with the EU. "

Do all them 92% of British businesses only source everything to do with their business from the UK and everything sourced is made from raw materials all also only from within the UK.

I think your claim is heavily flawed.

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

"Common market ...yes

Federalisation ...no

That's not true.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"It might be tough in the interim". That's not what the Leave campaign told us in the referendum campaign. We were told in the referendum campaign that, the day after we vote to Leave we would hold all the cards and we would be able to negotiate a BETTER trade deal with the EU than the one we have currently. How does "tough in the interim" fullfil the BREXIT mandate of "a BETTER trade deal than we currently have"?

Neither 'no deal', May's deal nor no BREXIT fulfill the BREXIT mandate as promised by the Leave campaign in the referendum. It's not fulfilling a democratic mandate to promise one thing (a BETTER trade deal than we currently have) in the campaign but then deliver something totally different (tough in the interim) after the vote is cast.

Widnes

"The irony is that churchill created the eu to have peace after the war, he was not a little englander and then thatcher created the single market

Er, No.

If I were a gambling man, my money would be on No Deal."

If I were a gambling man I'd put my money on 3rd referendum. Might go each way on that and no BREXIT. But then I know what's actually going on in Westminster.

Widnes

I agree. Fear of charge in the EU has lead a lot of people to believe that it's possible to go back to some Halcyon time in the past, probably when they were kids, and everything will be just like it was. Unfortunately it's not possible and, when looked at more closely, those Halcyon times weren't really all that great either.

We need to face the facts, reality and our fears head on; stop looking for unrealistic and delusional solutions to our problems; accept that most of our problems are of our own making; make the only decision that won't damage all of our wealths immeasurably and Remain. Let's tell all these chicken shit scared BREXITERS to grow a pair, man up and start doing something that will actually benefit the country.

Widnes

And if we'd all followed some crazed cave man hunting an illusional unicorn ovrer the edge of a cliff we wouldn't be even eating berries.

It's one thing to be brave, it's some totally different to be delusional and reckless.

By *couseratMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Most of the EU laws are based on UK legislation, but you knew that already......

thornaby

Weyyyyy the edge of a cliff is back must of been a few hrs since it was last used pls someone mention the red bus these never get old lol

Widnes

Tell that to the innovators, the explorers and inventors in our history. They were able to overcome fear, a skill some of us seem to lack. "

You mean British innovations like these:-

Clifford Cocks develops the algorithm for the RSA cipher while working at the Government Communications Headquarters. 1974

Steptoe and Edwards successfully carried out a pioneering conception which resulted in the birth of the world's first baby to be conceived by IVF. 1977

One of the first laptop computers, the GRiD Compass, is designed by Bill Moggridge. 1979

DNA profiling is discovered by Sir Alec Jeffreys at the University of Leicester. 1984

A patent for an iris recognition algorithm is filed by John Daugman while working at the University of Cambridge which became the basis of all publicly deployed iris recognition systems.1991

The Touchpad pointing device is first developed for Psion computers.1991

The source code for the world's first web browser, called WorldWideWeb (later renamed Nexus to avoid confusion with the World Wide Web), is released into the public domain by Sir Tim Berners-Lee. 1991

The first SMS message in the world is sent over the UK's GSM network.1992

The world's first national DNA database is developed. 1995

Animal cloning, a female domestic sheep became the first mammal cloned from an adult somatic cell, by scientists at the Roslin institute.1996

Scottish scientists at the Roslin Institute in Edinburgh, produce the first mammal cloned from an adult cell.1997

University of Manchester, Andre Geim and Konstantin Novoselov discover Graphene. 2004

Raspberry Pi, a single-board computer, is launched and quickly becomes popular for education in programming and computer science. 2001

The European Space Agency's Philae lander leaves the Rosetta spacecraft and makes the first ever landing on a comet. The Philae lander was built with British expertise and technology, 2014

And there's many more if you care to look.

Typical BREXITER. Tells others not to talk their country down when they're just pointing out the folly of making ourselves poorer and then talks his country down because he can't be arsed to do even a little bit of research or fact checking before just spouting any old rubbish.

Widnes

"The EU import plenty from Turkey and there are many Turkish people working / living here and in the EU. What is their EU deal like?"

They have a customs union with the EU. It's not comprehensive but it covers most goods. They can makes some independent trade deals in areas not covered by their agreement with the EU but the EU has the right to object to them.

Widnes

No need to plan

No need to think

No need for a budget

We just need to brave

Hey guess what...

OK, I will tell you...

The EU/EC/EEC was never just a trading block. It was, and still is, a common market.

And a common market is a group formed by countries within a geographical area which free movment goods, free movement of labour and free movement of capital among its members. All common markets impose common external tariff (CET) on imports from non-member countries.

It's simply another BREXIT lie to say that what we voted to remain in in 1975 was just a trading block. It was, is and will remain always a common market.

Widnes

"Common market ...yes

Federalisation ...no

Leave won the vote in 2016 on two the promises.

1 that we would take back control of our laws, our borders and our money.

2 that we would be able to negotiate a better trade deal with the EU after we voted leave because we held all the cards.

May's deal does not deliver on point 1

No deal does not deliver on point 2.

Neither 'no deal' nor May's deal delivery on the referendum mandate and promise, as set out by the Leave campaign. The 'will of the people' is not fulfilled by any BREXIT on offer.

It has got to the point at which it is now obvious that leaving is not in the best interest of the country. It's time to say: "we tried and it didn't work."

thornaby

We tried lol we haven’t bloody left yet

North West

"................

This a very, very good point and it surprises me greatly that journalists do not question Brexiters about this kind of stuff when they go on about "forging great new deals around the world". How is any deal we do with China going to be more advantageous to the UK that the deal that the EU has and thereby - how will the UK then suddenly end up selling more the China?

The EU doesn't have a trade deal with China. "

Odd then that Germany manage to export so much more to China than we do and we are both in the EU.

I wonder what magic is going to transpire when we leave the EU to suddenly increase our exports to China? Ah... I forgot - that is not what it is about - it will actually be about reducing all of our import tariffs to zero so that China can virtually finish off what is left of the UK manufacturing industry.

Widnes

Do all them 92% of British businesses only source everything to do with their business from the UK and everything sourced is made from raw materials all also only from within the UK.

I think your claim is heavily flawed."

Centy's 92% figure is based on the the figure that only 8% of businesses directly export goods to the EU. The 8% figure is highly disputed because it is based on VAT registered business in the UK selling to VAT registered businesses in the EU. It takes no account of non VAT registered businesses in the UK at all and, even when exported from a UK VAT registered businesses, takes no account of goods sold to EU non VAT registered businessess. With that alone the 8% is probably a serious under estimate but by far the biggest flaw with the 8% figure is that it takes absolutely no account what so ever of services exported to the EU. Because of these fundamental flaws the 8% figure, and the 92% figure based on it, are at best worthless, definitely misleading and quite probably deliberately deceptive.

Widnes

"Weyyyyy the edge of a cliff is back must of been a few hrs since it was last used pls someone mention the red bus these never get old lol"

Always happy to put a smile on your face.

I know it must be depressing times for BREXITERS as dreams founder against the rocks of reality.

Centy's 92% figure is based on the the figure that only 8% of businesses directly export goods to the EU. The 8% figure is highly disputed because it is based on VAT registered business in the UK selling to VAT registered businesses in the EU. It takes no account of non VAT registered businesses in the UK at all and, even when exported from a UK VAT registered businesses, takes no account of goods sold to EU non VAT registered businessess. With that alone the 8% is probably a serious under estimate but by far the biggest flaw with the 8% figure is that it takes absolutely no account what so ever of services exported to the EU. Because of these fundamental flaws the 8% figure, and the 92% figure based on it, are at best worthless, definitely misleading and quite probably deliberately deceptive.

"

Very true, the facts are though while many may not export / import directly to/from the EU, their supply chain will most probably be heavily linked with UK/EU trade.

Widnes

"................

Odd then that Germany manage to export so much more to China than we do and we are both in the EU.

I wonder what magic is going to transpire when we leave the EU to suddenly increase our exports to China? Ah... I forgot - that is not what it is about - it will actually be about reducing all of our import tariffs to zero so that China can virtually finish off what is left of the UK manufacturing industry."

Just for the record. We actually already have a trade deal with China. It's called the "UK China Bilateral Investment Treaty" and it's been operational since 1986.

The deal includes a dispute and arbitration mechanism too. And guess what. The supreme body for dispute resolution and arbitration is not the UK Supreme Court. Wonder what Moggy has to say about that surrender of sovereignty?

Widnes

Very true, the facts are though while many may not export / import directly to/from the EU, their supply chain will most probably be heavily linked with UK/EU trade."

Agreed. The figure is based on misleading data and, even if not, would be totally meaningless anyway. My business has never traded with the EU but nearly every business I've done business with has and does.

Bristol East

"

Every single UK business trades with the EU, the entire supply chain is based on this. It doesn’t matter if you are a corner shop or HSBC, every business is going to be impacted. "

If it helps, I am consuming right now:

a) a packet of Oreo snowy encrusted biscuits

b) I bought in Lidl this week for £1.49

c) 20-odd different European languages on the box

In fact, so much writing I cannot see where they are made. But I have an idea it might be Spain.

That is the single market.

A supermarket chain with outlets in 28 countries can buy in huge quantities and sell very cheaply.

That's a good thing, I think.

Lidl and Aldi are very good.

Very continental.

And not just the young men on the checkouts!

"................

I wonder what magic is going to transpire when we leave the EU to suddenly increase our exports to China? Ah... I forgot - that is not what it is about - it will actually be about reducing all of our import tariffs to zero so that China can virtually finish off what is left of the UK manufacturing industry.

Just for the record. We actually already have a trade deal with China. It's called the "UK China Bilateral Investment Treaty" and it's been operational since 1986.

The deal includes a dispute and arbitration mechanism too. And guess what. The supreme body for dispute resolution and arbitration is not the UK Supreme Court. Wonder what Moggy has to say about that surrender of sovereignty?

"

We best tell China they can fuck off then, we want our sovereignty *whaa whaa* *stamp stamp*

A little thing called Democracy.

As for those who are saying "Oh if we leave then we're going to wreck and ruin"

I say this, imagine from 20, 3p years now what happens if we stay? Because the direction those in Brussels wants to take the EU is of a One Government, One Army, One Leader.

And if you believe for one second that this isn't going to happen you're blinkered or you support such a move. Which is fine because in Europe what we are seeing now is a power shift and what it will finally come down to is this; The Globalist vs The Nationalist.

Those who see themselves as Citizens of diverse nations with rich histories and those who see themselves as Citizens of the world and only as Citizens of the world can we somehow solve the chllanges we face as a species.

By *aytona racerMan  over a year ago

pontefract

"A little thing called Democracy.

I say this, imagine from 20, 3p years now what happens if we stay? Because the direction those in Brussels wants to take the EU is of a One Government, One Army, One Leader.

Amen to that

Loads of scaremongering going on. Yesterday the government and the Bank of England said that house prices would plunge 30%. The pound would plunge 25%. Only option for us now is to leave with no deal. Save the divorce settlement. We survived and indeed flourished before the common market and the EU

And if you believe for one second that this isn't going to happen you're blinkered or you support such a move. Which is fine because in Europe what we are seeing now is a power shift and what it will finally come down to is this; The Globalist vs The Nationalist.

Those who see themselves as Citizens of diverse nations with rich histories and those who see themselves as Citizens of the world and only as Citizens of the world can we somehow solve the chllanges we face as a species.

"

Cannock

"................

I wonder what magic is going to transpire when we leave the EU to suddenly increase our exports to China? Ah... I forgot - that is not what it is about - it will actually be about reducing all of our import tariffs to zero so that China can virtually finish off what is left of the UK manufacturing industry."

But you said... "how is any deal we do with China going to be more advantageous to the UK than the deal that the EU has".

The EU does not have a trade deal with China so frankly any trade deal the UK does with China is going to be better and more advantageous because the EU doesn't have one.

The UK China bilateral investment treaty signed in the 80's which Kraken mentioned earlier is also flawed and misleading as it's limited in scope because of our membership of the common matket/EU. EU rules stop it being a fully inclusive, and comprehensive free trade deal.

Bristol East

And why do you think the EU, a market of 500m, has not agreed to Chinese terms?

What terms will the Chinese want from the UK that will make our life so much better outside the EU?

Cannock

"

On your last point about services, the EU doesn't have a single market in services. It is a fundamental flaw of the EU, when most of our economy is services based and we're in a trading block called the EU which does not have a single market in services. To try to suggest that the EU has a single market in services is at best worthless, definitely misleading and quite probably deliberately deceptive.

Bristol East

"

It is a fundamental flaw of the EU, when most of our economy is services based and we're in a trading block called the EU which does not have a single market in services. "

Might it be a fundamental flaw of the UK that we engineer dodgy financial products while the rest of Europe engineers things that are actually productive? You know, proper engineering. Real manufacturing. Real products.

Cannock

"................

"

Our membership of the Common market/Eu has seriously limited the scope of that deal though. Eu rules prohibit, and limit that deal from being a fully inclusive and comprehensive free trade deal.

To suggest otherwise is worthless, definitely misleading and most probably deliberately deceptive of you.

Cannock

"

Every single UK business trades with the EU, the entire supply chain is based on this. It doesn’t matter if you are a corner shop or HSBC, every business is going to be impacted.

In fact, so much writing I cannot see where they are made. But I have an idea it might be Spain.

A supermarket chain with outlets in 28 countries can buy in huge quantities and sell very cheaply.

Very continental.

"

Thing is though all that extra red tape and labelling is costly and burdensome on businesses who don't trade with the EU, when it's not required for other markets around the rest of the world but because of membership of the EU must have it included on their products.

Bristol East

"

Thing is though all that extra red tape and labelling is costly and burdensome on businesses who don't trade with the EU, when it's not required for other markets around the rest of the world but because of membership of the EU must have it included on their products. "

That's the thing, Lidl doesn't. It has cornered the European market. And supplies me with products at low cost.

Extra red tape? It has one product for 28 countries, not 28 products for 28 countries.

Cannock

"

Thing is though all that extra red tape and labelling is costly and burdensome on businesses who don't trade with the EU, when it's not required for other markets around the rest of the world but because of membership of the EU must have it included on their products.

That's the thing, Lidl doesn't. It has cornered the European market. And supplies me with products at low cost.

Extra red tape? It has one product for 28 countries, not 28 products for 28 countries.

"

I wasn't referring to Lidl. I was referring to businesses who don't trade with the EU (like 92% of British businesses) but still have to include and abide by EU rules and regulations on things like packaging.

Bristol East

Everyone in China works for the Communist Party.

That's how people working in factories earn tuppence ha'penny an hour.

It allows the state, the party, to export goods at very low prices.

We lap that up here.

All the money that flows into China, the foreign currency.

It has bought up Western debt.

So now, at Christmas, we borrow money from China to buy all sorts of cheap gifts manufactured in China.

Europe, where we value things like human rights, employment protections, freedom etc, cannot compete with that.

Neither can the UK.

Unless you plan to abandon worker rights, environmental protections, unions etc and expect workers to swear allegiance to the state in return for tuppence ha'penny an hour.

Bristol East

"

I wasn't referring to Lidl. I was referring to businesses who don't trade with the EU (like 92% of British businesses) but still have to include and abide by EU rules and regulations on things like packaging. "

If a company sells products in the UK, that is the EU.

The EU is not over there.

We are the EU.

"Every single UK business trades with the EU, the entire supply chain is based on this. It doesn’t matter if you are a corner shop or HSBC, every business is going to be impacted. "

Not true. Mine doesn't.

I provide a service, to UK clients.

I am paid for my time, my skills and expertise.

Cannock

"

I wasn't referring to Lidl. I was referring to businesses who don't trade with the EU (like 92% of British businesses) but still have to include and abide by EU rules and regulations on things like packaging.

If a company sells products in the UK, that is the EU.

The EU is not over there.

We are the EU.

"

Not anymore. We're leaving

Cannock

"Everyone in China works for the Communist Party.

We lap that up here.

So now, at Christmas, we borrow money from China to buy all sorts of cheap gifts manufactured in China.

Europe, where we value things like human rights, employment protections, freedom etc, cannot compete with that.

Neither can the UK.

Unless you plan to abandon worker rights, environmental protections, unions etc and expect workers to swear allegiance to the state in return for tuppence ha'penny an hour.

"

You've got a very outdated 20th century view of China there. China has become more wealthy and now has a vast affluent middle class who like to buy expensive foreign luxury goods. It sounds like you've been watching too many 70's Chinese martial arts films where they're all peasants living in mud huts and cultivating their own food in the back yard like the Good life.

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

"Every single UK business trades with the EU, the entire supply chain is based on this. It doesn’t matter if you are a corner shop or HSBC, every business is going to be impacted.

Not true. Mine doesn't.

I am paid for my time, my skills and expertise."

If your UK clients are impacted by Brexit then you are too. Get your head out of the sand.

West London

"Common market ...yes

Federalisation ...no

Why do we keep demanding more general elections?

What a stupid argument. A referendum is completely different to a general election. It's already decided and established before you have a general election that it's a 5 year parliamentary cycle. It's a fixed 5 year term for government.

It was already decided before the referendum that this would be a once in a generation opportunity to vote on membership of the EU. Remember Cameron's £9 million quid taxpayer funded remain propaganda leaflet, it said in there this would be a once in a generation opportunity to vote on this and the government would carry out the instruction of the British people. The leaflet was delivered to every house in the country so everyone knew this was a once in a generation vote. "

In response to which you ramble incoherently. Again.

This was the question to which I responded:

"Brexiteers won the vote why would they want another? If there was another vote and leave won what would you do then???? Probably demand another."

Now read my response. Then, try to think.

For clarity, there have only been fixed term Parliaments for three sessions in the country's history, one if which didn't go the distance.

The government has carried out the will of the people. We are, apparently, leaving the EU. An impossible deal was negotiated. You don't seem to like it.

If that's the will of the people as expressed through Parliament then we go again

"

Sounds like Leavers Project Fear to me

Oh, and FAKE NEWS too!!!!!

West London

"................

The EU doesn't have a trade deal with China. "

The EU has a trade and cooperation agreement with China.

Naturally you failed to address the actual question though.

How come Germany manages to sell so much to China from within the EU compared to us?

How will Brexit improve this?

West London

"

Everything evolves.

The USA is a federal state.

India is an artificially created state with multiple religions, languages and traditions.

China is an empire of many states that has been homogenised.

Should they split up?

What's your point?

"................

The EU has a trade and cooperation agreement with China.

Naturally you failed to address the actual question though.

How come Germany manages to sell so much to China from within the EU compared to us?

How will Brexit improve this?"

Well, a free trade agreement with China won't make a bit of difference to us even if we're out of the EU because brexiteers have been banging on about how WTO rules are so good and a no deal is best for us so a FTA in their business model is redundant.

WTO rocks!

West London

"

Very continental.

Thing is though all that extra red tape and labelling is costly and burdensome on businesses who don't trade with the EU, when it's not required for other markets around the rest of the world but because of membership of the EU must have it included on their products. "

Food labelling is the best you can manage? What is the marginal cost of printing additional languages?

What non-exported products require labelling in multiple languages?

I've seen arabic and Japanese characters on food packaging. Why do you think they do that?

West London

"Everyone in China works for the Communist Party.

We lap that up here.

Neither can the UK.

You've got a very outdated 20th century view of China there. China has become more wealthy and now has a vast affluent middle class who like to buy expensive foreign luxury goods. It sounds like you've been watching too many 70's Chinese martial arts films where they're all peasants living in mud huts and cultivating their own food in the back yard like the Good life. "

They apparently don't want to buy our products but do want to buy German ones.

Why's that then?

West London

"

Very continental.

Which of these would you not want?

General labelling standards for the UK and EU

Food labelling requirements for the UK and EU fall under the EU Food Information to Consumers Regulation. Food sold to consumers or used in catering establishments must be marked with the following information:

The name of the food. Some names, known as 'legal names', are prescribed by law and must be used according to regulations, such as 'burger', 'sausage', 'jam', 'butter' and others. Otherwise, a customary name, or one that consumers generally accept, such as 'Bakewell tart', may be used. If no legal or customary name exists, use a descriptive name that clearly explains what the product is.

A list of ingredients, usually in descending order of their weight at the time they were used to prepare the product. Ingredients should be listed using the same name as if they were sold as foods themselves. There are special rules for flavourings and functional additives such as preservatives and colours. Some foods, such as unprepared fresh fruit and vegetables, do not need to list ingredients.

The quantity of certain ingredients or categories of ingredients, usually the main ones or those used in the name. See below for details of the Quantitative Ingredient Declaration (QUID) rules that state the requirement to indicate the quantities of the main or key ingredients on the labels of food products sold in the EU.

The appropriate durability indication - the 'use by' date for highly perishable foods and the 'best before' date for others. 'Use by' dates are given in either day/month or day/month/year formats and indicate the date until which the food, if properly stored, is recommended for use. 'Best before' dates indicate the date until which the food will keep its properties if properly stored. Either give the date directly or indicate where it can be found, for example - 'Best before: see date on lid'. Some products, including fresh fruit and vegetables, and alcoholic drinks with an alcohol by volume (abv) strength above 10 per cent do not need to be labelled with a durability indication.

Any special storage conditions or conditions of use. Special storage conditions might include, for example, 'store in a cool dry place', 'keep refrigerated', 'once opened, keep refrigerated and consume within 3 days'. Conditions of use might include, for example, 'not suitable for frying' or 'shake well before use'. The label should also indicate whether the food is suitable for home freezing and give instructions where required, such as 'freeze on day of purchase'.

The name or business name and address of the food business operator.

The place or country of origin (if failure to provide it might mislead the purchaser).

Additional requirements where applicable, including the abv of alcoholic drinks, an indication that packaging gases have been used (eg 'packaged in a protective atmosphere'), a warning of high caffeine content, labelling of sweeteners and glycyrrhizinic acid (a flavouring that masks bitterness) as well as lot or batch marking and weights and measures.

Whether the food contains any of the following allergens - cereals containing gluten (including wheat, rye, barley and oats), crustaceans, molluscs, eggs, fish, peanuts, soybeans, lupin, milk, nuts, celery, mustard, sesame seeds, or sulphur dioxide and sulphites at more than 10 milligrams per kilogram or 10 milligrams per litre. The rules state that the allergen information must be emphasised in the ingredients list where one is used.

Indication if the food is specially prepared for people with gluten intolerance. The claims 'gluten free' or 'very low gluten' have very specific meanings and can be used only on certain foods. 'Gluten free' means that the product contains 20 parts of gluten per million or less. 'Very low gluten' may be used only on those products which are manufactured using a special type of starch that has been treated to take out almost all of the gluten (products in this category will have a higher level of gluten in them of up to 100 parts per million).

Whether it contains or consists of genetically modified organisms (GMOs), or contains ingredients produced from GMOs. However, you do not have to label foods with GM labelling if the food contains an accidental presence of GM material from sources authorised for use in the EU of 0.9 per cent or less.

Whether it has or contains ingredients that have been irradiated.

Instructions for use or cooking - these should be included whenever the consumer needs them in order to use the product as intended.

The general labelling rules also outline requirements that labels on all food are indelible, clear and easy to read, as well as being easily understood by consumers

Yeah damn pesky EU turds making people know what they consume....

Cannock

"Yeah damn pesky EU turds making people know what they consume...."

I only need to read it in English in the UK, not 27 different languages of the EU thanks.

"Yeah damn pesky EU turds making people know what they consume....

I only need to read it in English in the UK, not 27 different languages of the EU thanks. "

Well if you read the labels of all your packaging 28 times over then more fool you

and do you really think food labeling is going to change to just English for everything post BREXIT ?

Cannock

I only need to read it in English in the UK, not 27 different languages of the EU thanks.

Well if you read the labels of all your packaging 28 times over then more fool you "

You're completely missing the point of what's being discussed earlier. Maybe your dementia is kicking in again?

It's not a matter of people reading all 27 languages it's the extra unnecessary cost and burdens it puts on businesses who don't trade with the EU that still have to include it in their packaging.

Sorry but you're going to have to wait a long time for your Tea indefinitely while you continue to read the packaging 28 times over for decades to come

Well if you read the labels of all your packaging 28 times over then more fool you

You're completely missing the point of what's being discussed earlier. Maybe your dementia is kicking in again?

It's not a matter of people reading all 27 languages it's the extra unnecessary cost and burdens it puts on businesses who don't trade with the EU that still have to include it in their packaging. "

You've just proves my point entirely about you being ... weird, only you mentioned reading 28 languages, not me, I with my dementia only read English, unlike you reading it 28 times over.... what does that say about you eh?

That printing cost is minute, vertually none existent yet you think this will all stop after BREXIT...

No way, not a snowballs chance in hell. No matter how offended you are seeing foreign languages on packaging, you're going to be reading them for the rest of your life

Cannock

"Sorry but you're going to have to wait a long time for your Tea indefinitely while you continue to read the packaging 28 times over for decades to come "

We're leaving the EU and hopefully as part of future deregulation and cutting of unnecessary EU red tape which will help UK businesses (92% of which doesn't trade with the EU) after Brexit some of this nonsensical EU shit can be done away with through acts of parliament.

"Sorry but you're going to have to wait a long time for your Tea indefinitely while you continue to read the packaging 28 times over for decades to come

We're leaving the EU and hopefully as part of future deregulation and cutting of unnecessary EU red tape which will help UK businesses (92% of which doesn't trade with the EU) after Brexit some of this nonsensical EU shit can be done away with through acts of parliament. "

Ok try and be serious for a minute...

If we buy from the EU it's going to have the packaging you hate.

If we are to sell to the EU then it's going to be the packaging you hate.

Businesses will not pay twice to have 2 types of packaging, one for you and one for the market.

So I'm sorry, you won't be getting your personal wish for packaging anytime soon, it makes no business sense.

Cannock

It's not a matter of people reading all 27 languages it's the extra unnecessary cost and burdens it puts on businesses who don't trade with the EU that still have to include it in their packaging.

You've just proves my point entirely about you being ... weird, only you mentioned reading 28 languages, not me, I with my dementia only read English, unlike you reading it 28 times over.... what does that say about you eh?

That printing cost is minute, vertually none existent yet you think this will all stop after BREXIT...

No way, not a snowballs chance in hell. No matter how offended you are seeing foreign languages on packaging, you're going to be reading them for the rest of your life "

Where did I say on the thread I read it in 28 different languages?????

Can you quote where I've said that on the thread?

Maybe hallucinations are a side effect of your ever increasing dementia.

What I actually said was I only need to read it in English in the UK. I don't need to read it in 27 other EU languages. Maybe your English isn't too good but than means I only read it in one language. The other languages on the packaging are not necessary.

Cannock

"Sorry but you're going to have to wait a long time for your Tea indefinitely while you continue to read the packaging 28 times over for decades to come

We're leaving the EU and hopefully as part of future deregulation and cutting of unnecessary EU red tape which will help UK businesses (92% of which doesn't trade with the EU) after Brexit some of this nonsensical EU shit can be done away with through acts of parliament.

Businesses will not pay twice to have 2 types of packaging, one for you and one for the market.

So I'm sorry, you won't be getting your personal wish for packaging anytime soon, it makes no business sense."

What part of 92% of British businesses don't trade with the EU are you failing to understand here?

Why should 8% of uk businesses who trade with the EU dictate terms to 92% of businesses who don't trade with the EU. The overwhelming majority being the 92% should be given the priority for what they want over the 8%.

No way, not a snowballs chance in hell. No matter how offended you are seeing foreign languages on packaging, you're going to be reading them for the rest of your life

What I actually said was I only need to read it in English in the UK. I don't need to read it in 27 other EU languages. Maybe your English isn't too good but than means I only read it in one language. The other languages on the packaging are not necessary.

"

"I only need to read it in English in the UK, not 27 different languages of the EU thanks"

So if you don't read them all why are you so worried about it

You do take things to literal while totally missing the crux of the statement.

I would hazard a guess the majority of packaging that has the most languages on actually originate from mainland EU Countries & not the UK.

Anyway, you've boxed yourself totally in on The Greening Plan thread, go have a pop at that one

Cannock

"I only need to read it in English in the UK, not 27 different languages of the EU thanks"

I would hazard a guess the majority of packaging that has the most languages on actually originate from mainland EU Countries & not the UK.

Anyway, you've boxed yourself totally in on The Greening Plan thread, go have a pop at that one "

Why am I worried about it if I don't read it? As explained multiple times on multiple posts now which you've completely failed to take in is its unnecessary extra cost, burden and red tape on British businesses (92% of which don't trade with the EU).

Anyway, you've boxed yourself totally in on The Greening Plan thread, go have a pop at that one

Why am I worried about it if I don't read it? As explained multiple times on multiple posts now which you've completely failed to take in is its unnecessary extra cost, burden and red tape on British businesses (92% of which don't trade with the EU). "

Ok so for the poor businesses that supposedly have to print extra words on packaging that don't even export to the EU, how much is this burden ?

Have you not thought that Customers of these businesses may then export these products to the EU whole or in part ?

It seems like a snippet of anti EU hatred you've decided to bang a drum for.

You may get your wish but I wholeheartedly doubt you will.

and we'll ignore the fact that you seem to have to try and slag me off to make your argument, though I remember very clearly through my dementia you saying previously that someone personally attacking another poster says more about themselves than the other.

Cannock

"and we'll ignore the fact that you seem to have to try and slag me off to make your argument, though I remember very clearly through my dementia you saying previously that someone personally attacking another poster says more about themselves than the other.

"

Because you never slag anyone else off do you Andy

Cut the holier than thou bullshit, as you're always having sly digs at someone or another on here.

Widnes

"................

But you said... "how is any deal we do with China going to be more advantageous to the UK than the deal that the EU has".

The EU does not have a trade deal with China so frankly any trade deal the UK does with China is going to be better and more advantageous because the EU doesn't have one.

The UK China bilateral investment treaty signed in the 80's which Kraken mentioned earlier is also flawed and misleading as it's limited in scope because of our membership of the common matket/EU. EU rules stop it being a fully inclusive, and comprehensive free trade deal. "

All Free Trade Agreements are limited and not fully comprehensive unless they include full regulatory alignment and a complete customs union. Even the EUs Single Market and Customs Union, whilst being the most comprehensive free trade arrangement in the world, is limited and not totally comprehensive. So, in your own terms, having left the dictatorial EU's comprehensive free trade deal and regained our sovereignty, how much of that sovereignty are you now willing to hand over to the People's democratic Republic of China to get your fully comprehensive free trade agreement with them?

Widnes

On your last point about services, the EU doesn't have a single market in services. It is a fundamental flaw of the EU, when most of our economy is services based and we're in a trading block called the EU which does not have a single market in services. To try to suggest that the EU has a single market in services is at best worthless, definitely misleading and quite probably deliberately deceptive. "

The EU doesn't have a fully developed single market on financial and some other services, yet. It does have financial passporting for services, which we loose if we leave. That's why a lot of financial services companies are looking at moving their bases, and with their tax take, to countries remaining in the EU. Of course you can just take the BoJo approach and tell the service sector, along with the rest of British businesses, to go fuck themselves.

West London

I only need to read it in English in the UK, not 27 different languages of the EU thanks. "

Food sold exclusively in the UK does not require other languages to be printed. Only those for export.

Silly boy.

Widnes

"................

Our membership of the Common market/Eu has seriously limited the scope of that deal though. Eu rules prohibit, and limit that deal from being a fully inclusive and comprehensive free trade deal.

To suggest otherwise is worthless, definitely misleading and most probably deliberately deceptive of you. "

To suggest that we can have a comprehensive trade agreement with China that is anything like as comprehensive as the one we currently have with the EU, without pooling any sovereignty with Chine is, if not misleading and deceptive, frankly delusional.

By *lbert_shlossedMan  over a year ago

Manchester

China have spent a fortune round Manchester airport building roads and buildings, I've made a killing from it

Widnes

"

Very continental.

So what particularl piece of red tape are you planning on remove from British industry that's not required. And are the likely savings going to more than the extra cost of the bureaucrats, officials and red tape at the borders both here and in the EU required to police and check that anything from the UK meets EU standards and anything from the EU meets UK standards.

Widnes

"

I wasn't referring to Lidl. I was referring to businesses who don't trade with the EU (like 92% of British businesses) but still have to include and abide by EU rules and regulations on things like packaging. "

It doesn't matter how many times you repeat the lie that 92% of British businesses don't trade with the EU it remains a lie. But then we've come to expect that from BREXITERS.

Widnes

"Every single UK business trades with the EU, the entire supply chain is based on this. It doesn’t matter if you are a corner shop or HSBC, every business is going to be impacted.

Not true. Mine doesn't.

I am paid for my time, my skills and expertise."

And how many of your clients trade with the EU?

Does your company source all its suppliers from UK made produce only?

You may not trade directly with the EU but, for most small businesses or consultancies, both their clients and supplies do.

"

It doesn't matter how many times you repeat the lie that 92% of British businesses don't trade with the EU it remains a lie. But then we've come to expect that from BREXITERS.

"

He's having one of his meltdowns again, you won't get any sense out of him.....

Widnes

Products sold in the UK do not need to be labelled in 27 different languages and none that I know of are. The only language products sold in the UK have to be labelled in is English. The reason why some products have labels printed in other languages other than English is because it's cheaper to produce 1 label for a product which is sold into numerous countries rather having to do multiple different runs for each country. It's fair to say that, if a product label has French, German or Dutch on it, the company is actually selling that exact same product in France, Germany and Holland.

Products sold in the UK do not need to be labelled in 27 different languages and none that I know of are. The only language products sold in the UK have to be labelled in is English. The reason why some products have labels printed in other languages other than English is because it's cheaper to produce 1 label for a product which is sold into numerous countries rather having to do multiple different runs for each country. It's fair to say that, if a product label has French, German or Dutch on it, the company is actually selling that exact same product in France, Germany and Holland.

"

The vast majority of UK products I have to hand have only English print on them.

Things I have that are produced on mainland EU have multiple languages on them.

So going by this, I don't see the problem Centy is on about

Widnes

It's not a matter of people reading all 27 languages it's the extra unnecessary cost and burdens it puts on businesses who don't trade with the EU that still have to include it in their packaging. "

But they don't. They only have to put the language(es) of the country it's being sold into. If a label has French on it it's because that exact same product is also sold into France and it's cheaper to have one product label rather than two because then the whole product line can be printed in one run.

Widnes

We're leaving the EU and hopefully as part of future deregulation and cutting of unnecessary EU red tape which will help UK businesses (92% of which doesn't trade with the EU) after Brexit some of this nonsensical EU shit can be done away with through acts of parliament. "

It's still a lie that 92% of British businesses don't trade with the EU.

But are you actually saying that after we BREXIT into this new deregulated, red tape free UK, the government is going to pass acts of parliament saying that products sold in the UK must have product labels in English only? You do realise that that piece of totally unnecessary red tape would actually increase the printing costs and labeling runs of any company that currently sells product into the EU and currently uses just one product label? Yet another BREXIT attack on British goods exporters. But then BREXITERS love fucking businesses, BoJo said so.

I still haven't seen any products labelled in 27 other languages. Where do you do your shopping?

Widnes

"

And the other 27 languages aren't on the label either. The only languages on the product label (the most I've seen is 5 or 6) are the ones the exact same product is being sold into. That won't change whatever happens after BREXIT (unless parliament passed a totally unnecessary a t, like you suggested, forcing companies to print product labels for the UK market in English only)

Widnes

So I'm sorry, you won't be getting your personal wish for packaging anytime soon, it makes no business sense.

What part of 92% of British businesses don't trade with the EU are you failing to understand here?

Why should 8% of uk businesses who trade with the EU dictate terms to 92% of businesses who don't trade with the EU. The overwhelming majority being the 92% should be given the priority for what they want over the 8%. "

What part of "92% of British businesses don't trade with the EU" is a totaly fabricated lie, don't you get?

And which part of "the only language product labels for goods sold in the UK market have to be printed in is English" don't you understand?

I will do a new thread we can continue on