FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Politicians Age limit

Politicians Age limit

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

First of all let's be constructive and not tribal!

So my question is do you think that politicians should retire as an MP at the state retirement age?

At what age do they go from being a wise old politician to being a liability?

My own view is yes they should be stopped at state retirement age. Also I think at that age they have given their best and move them on to the Lord's?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"First of all let's be constructive and not tribal!

So my question is do you think that politicians should retire as an MP at the state retirement age?

My own view is yes they should be stopped at state retirement age. Also I think at that age they have given their best and move them on to the Lord's? "

Some may not want to go to The Lords. Dennis Skinner for example.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Nope, needs to be assessed on nerocognitive health, not age.

I wouldn't want anyone with early onset Alzheimer's holding any responsibility in government - other jobs fine, but not when people's lives and livelyhoods are at risk.

This can effect people before or after retirement age.

Absolutely not! I agree with the concept of restrictions on those with failing abilities but Cameron, Osborne, Johnson and JRM were all rather young and self evidently inexperienced for their roles. I don’t think older more thoughtful politicians would have leapt into the abyss with such abandon. Wisdom is a by-product of experience and the older you are the more likely you are to have some and to understand the obligations you have to the next generation.

My own view is yes they should be stopped at state retirement age. Also I think at that age they have given their best and move them on to the Lord's?

Some may not want to go to The Lords. Dennis Skinner for example. "

Fair enough but it was just an example.

"Absolutely not! I agree with the concept of restrictions on those with failing abilities but Cameron, Osborne, Johnson and JRM were all rather young and self evidently inexperienced for their roles. I don’t think older more thoughtful politicians would have leapt into the abyss with such abandon. Wisdom is a by-product of experience and the older you are the more likely you are to have some and to understand the obligations you have to the next generation. "

Fair point but at what age do they become senile (physical & mental capacity to do the job)? Would you be happy with an 80/90yr old P.M.?

Also I agree some can be too young for the job - just to put the record straight.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

My own view is yes they should be stopped at state retirement age. Also I think at that age they have given their best and move them on to the Lord's? "

I think a prime minister should be at least 50.

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

"Absolutely not! I agree with the concept of restrictions on those with failing abilities but Cameron, Osborne, Johnson and JRM were all rather young and self evidently inexperienced for their roles. I don’t think older more thoughtful politicians would have leapt into the abyss with such abandon. Wisdom is a by-product of experience and the older you are the more likely you are to have some and to understand the obligations you have to the next generation. "

Im not sure that wisdom and age are that inextricably linked. There are certainly plenty of elderly duffers in Parliament, as well as youthful idiots. Old fools like Redwood and Bone dont fill me with warm fuzzy thoughts about age and wisdom yet Ken Clarke is still worth a listen.

I think a prime minister should be at least 50."

That’s actually quite a good post Clement

I suppose we then have to devise a cognitive ability test that will be agreed on by parliament - sounds like that could be quite long winded - perhaps a royal commission might be required

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Between 30-65

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

I am not sure about qualifying by age. First up, they should need to qualify by competence!

None of us can expect to be offered even low grade jobs if we are not qualified to do them. It is staggering that at the very highest level of Government, MP’s can be offered Ministerial jobs in departments that they have zero experience, let alone qualification to do. Then, to make matters rose - these incompetent, inexperienced and non qualified people then have the ability to vote in cabinet decisions that shape the lives of everyone in the country. It is fucking bonkers that this is not ven questioned.

Brexit has starkly highlighted this very issue with Secretaries and Ministers from the Govt as well as Shadow Ministers in Opposition have made unimaginably ignorant statements. It is not just Brexit though, this shit happens all the time.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

I think a prime minister should be at least 50.

That’s actually quite a good post Clement

I suppose we then have to devise a cognitive ability test that will be agreed on by parliament - sounds like that could be quite long winded - perhaps a royal commission might be required "

It's a good age where the candidate should have gained some experience and acumen. I'd also like to see that you could only be eligible for the position of prime minister if you've held executive positions in business. The salary of a prime minister should also mirror that of multi national CEO's. After all, pay peanuts, get monkeys...

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

I think at ssay 70 they should be retired but put them in the house of Lords,i believe it is time to scrap the house of Lords but there is still much for them to do

My own view is yes they should be stopped at state retirement age. Also I think at that age they have given their best and move them on to the Lord's? I think at ssay 70 they should be retired but put them in the house of Lords,i believe it is time to scrap the house of Lords but there is still much for them to do"

I agree that the House of Lords should be scrapped as it is anachronistic but I do think we still need an upper house (senate) to keep the government in check as “personalities” like Boris are not fit for the job imho and could do with some serious reining in. I also think that a lot of the current stupidity goes back to the civil service retiring older and more experienced staff because they are now too expensive to keep in post. I wonder what happens in other countries?

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

If it means Corbyn would have to retire now and would never get his mitts on the levers of power in this country I'm all for it.

"I am not sure about qualifying by age. First up, they should need to qualify by competence!

None of us can expect to be offered even low grade jobs if we are not qualified to do them. It is staggering that at the very highest level of Government, MP’s can be offered Ministerial jobs in departments that they have zero experience, let alone qualification to do. Then, to make matters rose - these incompetent, inexperienced and non qualified people then have the ability to vote in cabinet decisions that shape the lives of everyone in the country. It is fucking bonkers that this is not ven questioned.

Brexit has starkly highlighted this very issue with Secretaries and Ministers from the Govt as well as Shadow Ministers in Opposition have made unimaginably ignorant statements. It is not just Brexit though, this shit happens all the time.

"

Oh I do agree with you there. However, for the political dynasties (Mogg, Johnson & Benn's), maybe there should be an "internment " an apprenticeship whereby they live for a year like some of those "who are just about managing " or maybe even poorer families. Give them practical experience - a bit like the tv programme "secret boss or millionaire"? Because politicians often say they understand but do they?

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

I think in my area they keep going as long as they can keep opening brown envelopes ....or fiddling party expenses....currently in court

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

not state retirement age no.but mabey say 75 as ya do start getting a bit dodery and forgetfull by then

"not state retirement age no.but mabey say 75 as ya do start getting a bit dodery and forgetfull by then"

Could a 75 yr old handle the stress and pressures of the job? Just look at the brexit effect on May!

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

David Cameron seemed to do well out of britex early retirement and a good pension...for running away like a spoilt child...x

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"not state retirement age no.but mabey say 75 as ya do start getting a bit dodery and forgetfull by then

Could a 75 yr old handle the stress and pressures of the job? Just look at the brexit effect on May!"

I think it would finish Corbyn off he's already past 70 isn't he?

thornaby

75 is way to old for any job never mind pm lol

65, which means bye bye communist Corbyn!

"not state retirement age no.but mabey say 75 as ya do start getting a bit dodery and forgetfull by then

Could a 75 yr old handle the stress and pressures of the job? Just look at the brexit effect on May!

I think it would finish Corbyn off he's already past 70 isn't he? "

I said 65 because we could have done without that bastard ever having any influence on British politics ever. He is a poisonous changeling who’s always hated our nation, hence his support for the IRA.

thornaby

I said 65 as most northern men don’t live much past 65 lmao

Creating a rule to prevent a group of people (or indeed someone) from having power. Not at all a dangerous slope.

Essex

"65, which means bye bye communist Corbyn! "

You might like to read a few books to find out what a communist is....whatever else he may or may not be, a communist he certainly isnt

Essex

I think it would finish Corbyn off he's already past 70 isn't he?

I said 65 because we could have done without that bastard ever having any influence on British politics ever. He is a poisonous changeling who’s always hated our nation, hence his support for the IRA."

Don't you usually throw in traitor at this point?

"65, which means bye bye communist Corbyn!

You might like to read a few books to find out what a communist is....whatever else he may or may not be, a communist he certainly isnt"

I have read plenty of books about politics, and as far as British politics are concerned, Corbyn is about as communist as it gets. Indeed the best evidence of his fat leftist leanings come from his own wiki. The man is a commie ok, of the 1970’s dinosaur variety.

You might like to read a few books to find out what a communist is....whatever else he may or may not be, a communist he certainly isnt

I have read plenty of books about politics, and as far as British politics are concerned, Corbyn is about as communist as it gets. Indeed the best evidence of his fat leftist leanings come from his own wiki. The man is a commie ok, of the 1970’s dinosaur variety."

Thread isn't about individuals (tribalism ) but at what age should we limit politicians!

I have read plenty of books about politics, and as far as British politics are concerned, Corbyn is about as communist as it gets. Indeed the best evidence of his fat leftist leanings come from his own wiki. The man is a commie ok, of the 1970’s dinosaur variety.

Thread isn't about individuals (tribalism ) but at what age should we limit politicians! "

Yeah and I said 65, I went on to give a damn good example of why...

borehamwood

well retiring at 65 is pretty much coming to an end now.i gona be retiring at 68 as it stands but probably will have gone up by then.and from what ive seen the last cpl of years all they seem to do is shout each other down so yea 70 - 75 should be no problem at all for them

borehamwood

"75 is way to old for any job never mind pm lol"

for any job really? i know a cpl of old boys into there 70s who are probably the best carpenters ive ever seen and they showing no sign of slowing down

"well retiring at 65 is pretty much coming to an end now.i gona be retiring at 68 as it stands but probably will have gone up by then.and from what ive seen the last cpl of years all they seem to do is shout each other down so yea 70 - 75 should be no problem at all for them"

True I don't expect to get a state pension until I'm 80.

I don’t even get my work pension until I’m 75, but then I’m not a member of Parliament. They should retire earlier from the houses of treason, but still find work in other areas.

Corbyn could easy find a job cleaning carsies after he reaches 65. At least he will finally become useful.

Minimim age limit too! Defence Secretary with his "shut up and go away" bollocks as an example

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i am not for age limits as such that would negate a lot of very good candidates because they had careers or experiences elsewhere.... but the one thing i would be for is "term limits"... so any MP could only be an MP for 3 terms (12 years) for example....

that way you couldn't be a "career politician"..... and you are also injecting fresh blood into thinking!

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

That's one thing I do like about the American system - the limit on anyone serving more than two terms in office.

Thatcher and Blair are examples of politicians consumed by their own hubris, who did not recognise their own "use-by" date.

"i am not for age limits as such that would negate a lot of very good candidates because they had careers or experiences elsewhere.... but the one thing i would be for is "term limits"... so any MP could only be an MP for 3 terms (12 years) for example....

that way you couldn't be a "career politician"..... and you are also injecting fresh blood into thinking!"

Sorry _abio, your too young to comment

"i am not for age limits as such that would negate a lot of very good candidates because they had careers or experiences elsewhere.... but the one thing i would be for is "term limits"... so any MP could only be an MP for 3 terms (12 years) for example....

that way you couldn't be a "career politician"..... and you are also injecting fresh blood into thinking!"

Absolutely spot on!

The only problem Fabio is the pension pot - they need 15yrs service to get a £900,000 pot or 20yrs for £1.1m.

I still worry about the "old farts " though who are out of touch making decisions. However your idea would mean we get a "fresh intake" although some could argue we get that at a GE?

» Add a new message to this topic