FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > david lammy

david lammy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ostafun OP   Man  over a year ago

near ipswich

Whats your thoughts on his comment about stacy dooley,does he see colour before good?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What's he said??

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

He's about upset about "white celebrities" being in Africa doing work for Comic Relief.

Read some of it .I agree with him to some extent and also Stacey isn't a bad person.Which he acknowledges .Its not a personal attack.From what I've skimmed through.

It's like the band aid song.Its In poor taste..

Do they know it's Christmas ? Yes they do it's Africa not an alien planet...

Seems like an extremely minor issue in the context of world events.

His point about the perception of Africa and comic relief being the first way children learn about the continent leading people to think Africa is full of helpless victims. Is a non-issue compared to saving lives and improving the quality of life for some of the poor people.

"Read some of it .I agree with him to some extent and also Stacey isn't a bad person.Which he acknowledges .Its not a personal attack.From what I've skimmed through.

It's like the band aid song.Its In poor taste..

Do they know it's Christmas ? Yes they do it's Africa not an alien planet... "

“Thank god it’s them instead of you” - Bono

Band aid has a lot to answer for. The more recent incarnation convinced people that that problem of 3rd world debt was resolved and charities saw huge drops in donations.

near ipswich

Would he have commented on it if it had been lenny henry? i dont know just seeing what people think.

I've known people in the black community who often complain about the perception of Africans being helpless,feckless and reliant on western help.The media doesn't show any positives just negatives which reinforces stereotypes.Which they don't want their children exposed to .Like when white kids in the playground assume that a black kids mother from Africa grew up in a mud hut or lived in trees.

"Whats your thoughts on his comment about stacy dooley,does he see colour before good?"

I think he has just shot comic relief in the foot, what a prick!!!

near ipswich

I dont think the people who need the help will be to happy if donations fall because of it.I would think the last thing they are thinking about is Africa being stereotyped when they dont have food,clean water and children dieing.

"I dont think the people who need the help will be to happy if donations fall because of it.I would think the last thing they are thinking about is Africa being stereotyped when they dont have food,clean water and children dieing."

Like I said in another thread it's subjective .Your children will never ask were you born in a mud hut and were you starving when you lived in Africa.

You will never know what it's like to be a 10 year old black boy trying to persuade his mates innthe playground his mum lived in a proper house with internet and a flushing loo ..

Lammy is speaking for the black community here in his constituency he represents not you or any other community.Its his perspective and that if his community.,

It's that simple.

near ipswich

"I dont think the people who need the help will be to happy if donations fall because of it.I would think the last thing they are thinking about is Africa being stereotyped when they dont have food,clean water and children dieing.

Like I said in another thread it's subjective .Your children will never ask were you born in a mud hut and were you starving when you lived in Africa.

You will never know what it's like to be a 10 year old black boy trying to persuade his mates innthe playground his mum lived in a proper house with internet and a flushing loo ..

Lammy is speaking for the black community here in his constituency he represents not you or any other community.Its his perspective and that if his community.,

It's that simple. "

seems to be your favorite word everything anyone says is subjective.So going by your logic we should not hold charity events for the poor in Africa because some 10 y/o might get ask a question in the playground about his parents.To me thats the best time for kids to ask questions and get answers.

"I dont think the people who need the help will be to happy if donations fall because of it.I would think the last thing they are thinking about is Africa being stereotyped when they dont have food,clean water and children dieing.

It's that simple. seems to be your favorite word everything anyone says is subjective.So going by your logic we should not hold charity events for the poor in Africa because some 10 y/o might get ask a question in the playground about his parents.To me thats the best time for kids to ask questions and get answers."

This topic might be new to you and daily mail readers but it's been discussed for years.Its just recently on your radar.Which I understand .

There is a greater debate as to weather charity benefits benefits or hinders the continent .

Much research suggests it holds back Africans and makes them poorer.

You might wish to read up on the subject before making further assumptions.

near ipswich

It's that simple. seems to be your favorite word everything anyone says is subjective.So going by your logic we should not hold charity events for the poor in Africa because some 10 y/o might get ask a question in the playground about his parents.To me thats the best time for kids to ask questions and get answers.

This topic might be new to you and daily mail readers but it's been discussed for years.Its just recently on your radar.Which I understand .

There is a greater debate as to weather charity benefits benefits or hinders the continent .

"

Thank you so much for superior knowledge on the subject im sure the people worrying if they will be alive tomorrow will be comforted by the thought that research suggests they would be poorer if they lived so better to die.

It's that simple. seems to be your favorite word everything anyone says is subjective.So going by your logic we should not hold charity events for the poor in Africa because some 10 y/o might get ask a question in the playground about his parents.To me thats the best time for kids to ask questions and get answers.

"

Then maybe as has been said before we should just stop helping then or better still according to Lammy we should just let the black community take the whole thing on then ?

Aid is Aid who gives a fuck what colour the person in the photo is ffs

There's a guy on Jeremy vine now explaining why charity undermines poor African countries economies.Maybe listen to him or read a book on the subject .There a many YouTube videos explaining why Aid harms Africans.

I can explain it to you but I can't make you understand..

"There's a guy on Jeremy vine now explaining why charity undermines poor African countries economies.Maybe listen to him or read a book on the subject .There a many YouTube videos explaining why Aid harms Africans.

I can explain it to you but I can't make you understand.. "

Maybe we should just not bother then ? Oh well

near ipswich

"There's a guy on Jeremy vine now explaining why charity undermines poor African countries economies.Maybe listen to him or read a book on the subject .There a many YouTube videos explaining why Aid harms Africans.

No you cant,Supplying malaria nets to people,doctors doing cataract ops,inoculating babies i dont see how this undermines african economies but happy to be educated on the subject.

Maybe we should just not bother then ? Oh well "

If it makes people poorer why would you continue.To feel good about yourself.??

I get that it's counterintuitive.

How the fuck can giving free clothing to Africans be undermining poor people??? I bet you can work it out..

"Seems like an extremely minor issue in the context of world events.

His point about the perception of Africa and comic relief being the first way children learn about the continent leading people to think Africa is full of helpless victims. Is a non-issue compared to saving lives and improving the quality of life for some of the poor people.

"

It is the MOST IMPORTANT thing how the continent is percieved by others.Just imagine if the programme Skint Britain was the only exposure people had to these Isles along with a few nature programmes thrown in?

near ipswich

How the fuck can giving free clothing to Africans be undermining poor people??? I bet you can work it out.. "

so its clothing your on about what about drinking water, medical supplies,doctors ,malaria nets you dont think we should send them?

How the fuck can giving free clothing to Africans be undermining poor people??? I bet you can work it out.. so its clothing your on about what about drinking water, medical supplies,doctors ,malaria nets you dont think we should send them?"

It's not one thing or another,it's multifaceted.

Put in the most simplistic terms Africans need jobs not aid.They dont need handouts to solve their problem they need the opportunity to make a dollar and be self sufficient.This China understands better than any western country.

It's the old saying teach a Man to fish he'll never go hungry give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.

near ipswich

How the fuck can giving free clothing to Africans be undermining poor people??? I bet you can work it out.. so its clothing your on about what about drinking water, medical supplies,doctors ,malaria nets you dont think we should send them?

Put in the most simplistic terms Africans need jobs not aid.They dont need handouts to solve their problem they need the opportunity to make a dollar and be self sufficient.This China understands better than any western country.

It's the old saying teach a Man to fish he'll never go hungry give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.

"

Totally agree with that but do you think depriving them of clean water and preventive medical treatment helps any of that? i would have thought a healthy population would be in a better place to achieve the goal.But heyho if your happy for people to die so that you are not perceived as someone giving to charity to "make themselves feel better" carry on mate its all "subjective"

How the fuck can giving free clothing to Africans be undermining poor people??? I bet you can work it out.. so its clothing your on about what about drinking water, medical supplies,doctors ,malaria nets you dont think we should send them?

Totally agree with that but do you think depriving them of clean water and preventive medical treatment helps any of that? i would have thought a healthy population would be in a better place to achieve the goal.But heyho if your happy for people to die so that you are not perceived as someone giving to charity to "make themselves feel better" carry on mate its all "subjective""

I didn't think you would get it.Thats cool . Its counterintuitive not subjective.,

By *icksoneMan  over a year ago

oldham

Please explain.

I am listening

Why in the 21st century have we still got people who haven't got clean running water or a toilet.

Why in the 21st century are people starving like this.

I heard this on the radio this today and thought what a racist gentleman.

We must all work together to solve these problems.

Black, white,Brown, straight ,gay or trans who ever.

If my family was hurting I would not care where the money came from.

A great example of this was Grenfhall Tower.

All of my chins hit the floor when everyone of every colour, creed and sexuality helped. Made me cry.

Can you image Lammy standing there and saying oih whitey we don't want anything from you.

As blunt as usual.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

It's that simple. "

But they will Think that anyway regardless of comic relief. That's a totally separate issue (although I don't think it's actually a thing anyway, I've never known a child ask that of any black friends they have).

Lammy I know has raised the issue of celebrities 'cashinh in' on the charity thing, especially white ones. It's difficult though because some people are motivated to do good when then see people the idolise promoting it. The fact that we live in a country that is predominantly white will mean that there are more white celebrities that want yo get involved. Should they be stopped simply because the charity is for Africa?

I thought that comic relief were stopping their celeb videos anyway and using more local people to explain the hardships and promote the good work done with the donations?

Grantham

It might have been better for David Lammy to have said "celebrity saviour" rather than "white saviour".

Whilst Comic Relief raises large sums of money, it's other aim is to raise awareness. Our children today have much more idea of Africa and it's problems and successes through the work done by Comic Relief.

"It might have been better for David Lammy to have said "celebrity saviour" rather than "white saviour".

Whilst Comic Relief raises large sums of money, it's other aim is to raise awareness. Our children today have much more idea of Africa and it's problems and successes through the work done by Comic Relief. "

I would say white saviour complex exists in Hollywood block buster movies.Its endemic in the culture of kids/students going to Africa for 3 weeks to help Africans build schools etc ..Lets be honest it's more beneficial to the kid putting that on a cv than it is to any Africans.There is poverty everywhere ask yourself why go all the way to Africa to community you don't know.So why not serve you're own poor community.

Well it's s holiday and it makes you feel good about yourself.In the UK your a nobody out there your the white saviour..

"Whats your thoughts on his comment about stacy dooley,does he see colour before good?"

He's a fucking prick.

Anyone complaining about celebrities raising money for Africa etc are fucking pricks.

Race, colour & politics seem to have to be injected into everything now a days.

It's quite pathetic.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"It might have been better for David Lammy to have said "celebrity saviour" rather than "white saviour".

"

No, because the white saviour concept refers to something specific - the benevolent but superior white person bestowing charity on their lessers. Obviously most white people don't think of it in those terms, but that's evidently how it comes across.

Unfortunately most white people are shit scared of even acknowledging racism and its history so will start whining about Lammy even using the word 'white' rather than considering his points.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

It's the old saying teach a Man to fish he'll never go hungry give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Help me out here bob so are you saying we should stop aid to Africa and stop giving through charity ? Is it just Africa ?

"

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

No, because the white saviour concept refers to something specific - the benevolent but superior white person bestowing charity on their lessers. Obviously most white people don't think of it in those terms, but that's evidently how it comes across.

Unfortunately most white people are shit scared of even acknowledging racism and its history so will start whining about Lammy even using the word 'white' rather than considering his points. "

I understand the points he raised. I acknowledge racism exists but I still don't see why he singled out one white woman? Doing what he did and the way he did it is the issue. He idbr calling out charity tourism, he isn't advocating more African or other races to step forward and do their bit.

I've seen a few videos of Mr lammy and it seems he can make a good speach but wonder what he dies to follow it up (genuinely don't know but will look into it)

near ipswich

Well thanks to bobbangs putting me right i can now save money and feel good about myself by not giving anything.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Whilst Comic Relief raises large sums of money, it's other aim is to raise awareness. Our children today have much more idea of Africa and it's problems and successes through the work done by Comic Relief. "

Comic Relief certainly raises awareness in the UK of poverty in Africa, I agree.

But does it stimulate debate about the reasons for poverty and the solutions, i.e. economic development and how to foster it.

Or does it simply allow people in the UK to feel good by lobbing spare change in a collecting tin?

I'm not so sure.

"Well thanks to bobbangs putting me right i can now save money and feel good about myself by not giving anything. "

Everyday is a school day.This was a teachable moment.

No need to thank me.

It's the old saying teach a Man to fish he'll never go hungry give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Help me out here bob so are you saying we should stop aid to Africa and stop giving through charity ? Is it just Africa ?

"

I think it's your money your choice and you should look into it yourself.

There is good aid and there is bad aid...

Some aid undermines the local economy.Some aid doesn't.Some celebrities do charity work for good reasons others because they have an album out next week..

Grantham

Unfortunately most white people are shit scared of even acknowledging racism and its history so will start whining about Lammy even using the word 'white' rather than considering his points. "

And the many people of different creeds and colours that donate money and time freely to charitable causes?

Most people that I know, give money to charitable causes because either they are appealing to them directly or they feel that they could make a difference. Yes, it might make them feel good but giving to make them feel morally superior? That I doubt.

Yep totally agree lammy has been thrown under the bus because he used the word "white" .

Hes a big boy I doubt he gives a fuck he's been seen as black all his life .People see colour first and the person second.

near ipswich

Unfortunately most white people are shit scared of even acknowledging racism and its history so will start whining about Lammy even using the word 'white' rather than considering his points.

Yep totally agree lammy has been thrown under the bus because he used the word "white" .

Hes a big boy I doubt he gives a fuck he's been seen as black all his life .People see colour first and the person second."

Thats ironic because thats exactly what he did with stacy and started this thread,love reading your posts so entertaining.

Hes a big boy I doubt he gives a fuck he's been seen as black all his life .People see colour first and the person second.Thats ironic because thats exactly what he did with stacy and started this thread,love reading your posts so entertaining."

You don't think he did it on purpose..

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"Would he have commented on it if it had been lenny henry? i dont know just seeing what people think."

Lenny Henry has come out to support and back Stacey Dooley over this and as a Co founder of Comic relief he said he's very proud of the work comic relief does. Lenny Henry also made a joke about David Lammy, and to be fair David Lammy deserves to have this piss ripped out of him over this. Lammy is a prick.

"Would he have commented on it if it had been lenny henry? i dont know just seeing what people think.

Lenny Henry has come out to support and back Stacey Dooley over this and as a Co founder of Comic relief he said he's very proud of the work comic relief does. Lenny Henry also made a joke about David Lammy, and to be fair David Lammy deserves to have this piss ripped out of him over this. Lammy is a prick. "

Bang on

By *actilemale4uMan  over a year ago

London

David lammy has a white wife so he can't be racist

By *ab_SparklesWoman  over a year ago

sparkle Surprised

I heard ed sheren went out last year and nothing was said then. Apparently, why do the African government not provide for their own poor they seem to be doing well having a embassder in the uk and many other people from Africa probably around the world. The amount of money rised each year and each year they go back not much seems to be happening.

"I heard ed sheren went out last year and nothing was said then. Apparently, why do the African government not provide for their own poor they seem to be doing well having a embassder in the uk and many other people from Africa probably around the world. The amount of money rised each year and each year they go back not much seems to be happening. "
dodnt he get some kind of “award” (sic) for his vid... for v similar reasons to those being put forward here...

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"David lammy has a white wife so he can't be racist"

Nigel Farage had a German wife so he can't be racist either then.

"David lammy has a white wife so he can't be racist

Nigel Farage had a German wife so he can't be racist either then. "

‘Native’ Germans are not a different race, just nationality, so this wouldn’t disprove Farage as a racist anyway.

near ipswich

Seems comic relief were down £8 million this year from last year coincidence or not?

"Seems comic relief were down £8 million this year from last year coincidence or not?"

Well yeah, anyone who has any spare money is bracing themselves for the Brexit impact

"Seems comic relief were down £8 million this year from last year coincidence or not?

Well yeah, anyone who has any spare money is bracing themselves for the Brexit impact "

Yeah brexit has had a terrible effect on charity giving.Also I've read you could only donate a minimum of £10 .Which apparently had an effect.But mostly brexit and austerity and no small donations of a quid allowed had an effect..

By *vbride1963TV/TS  over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

"Seems comic relief were down £8 million this year from last year coincidence or not?

Well yeah, anyone who has any spare money is bracing themselves for the Brexit impact

Yeah brexit has had a terrible effect on charity giving.Also I've read you could only donate a minimum of £10 .Which apparently had an effect.But mostly brexit and austerity and no small donations of a quid allowed had an effect.. "

Any amount can be donated at the post office or most banks . Online was also available maybe they didn’t make these other ways more obvious during the program hopefully people still paying through these other methods will boost the amount to nearer the total they’ve been used to in previous years .

near ipswich

Well yeah, anyone who has any spare money is bracing themselves for the Brexit impact "

Yeah thought it was going to be brexits fault i was having a bet with myself who would be the 1st to blame it on that.

By *eisurepleasureMan  over a year ago

belfast

He banged June So hats off

» Add a new message to this topic