FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Uk economy set to boom after Brexit

Uk economy set to boom after Brexit

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *entaur_UK OP   Man  over a year ago

Cannock

The World's largest sovereign wealth fund, Norway's £740 billion will invest heavily in Britain after Brexit regardless of the outcome of the Brexit negotiations. If we get a Brexit deal with the EU, Norway will invest in the UK, if we don't get a deal with the EU and leave on WTO terms it doesn't matter as Norway will still invest the same as if there had been a deal. This is a huge vote of confidence in the Uk as a free and independent country after we've left the EU. Norway says the UK will be stronger after Brexit. Norway has forecast that returns on its investments in the UK will increase.

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/world-s-top-wealth-fund-puts-billions-into-britain-qswjw8637

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47399500

On top of this economist Liam Halligan writing in the Telegraph says Britain's economy is set to boom after we leave the EU and will become the largest economy in Europe because of Brexit.

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/02/28/britains-economy-set-boom-become-largest-europe-brexit/

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I can’t see the firewalled articles, but haven’t seen any direct quotes which are so bullish about brexit. He seems, like many long term investors to neither be bearish nor bullish about the Uk. And as a diverse fund, he’s gonna keep a good % in the uk. I suspect the fund is more passive than active ...

Liam Halligan: next foolishness from brexiter mouth. Why am I not surprise?

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

Halligan isn't exactly neutral now is he.

As for the Norway fund, its good they're continuing to invest. However they'd have invested even more if we hadn't tanked the pound for no reason - from the BBC article

"In 2018, the US attracted the biggest share of its money, followed by Japan and then the UK.

Normally the UK attracts a bigger share of the investment, but Mr Slyngstad said it was overtaken by Japan last year because the yen had strengthened against the pound."

So you believe this one article. But write off the other 99999999999 million articles that tell a different story as “project fear”.

Cannock

"So you believe this one article. But write off the other 99999999999 million articles that tell a different story as “project fear”. "

I think you need to go back and read the OP again. There are 2 separate news stories in the OP. 2 links to one news story (Norway) and 1 link to a different news story (economist Liam Halligan).

Cannock

"Halligan isn't exactly neutral now is he.

As for the Norway fund, its good they're continuing to invest. However they'd have invested even more if we hadn't tanked the pound for no reason - from the BBC article

"In 2018, the US attracted the biggest share of its money, followed by Japan and then the UK.

Normally the UK attracts a bigger share of the investment, but Mr Slyngstad said it was overtaken by Japan last year because the yen had strengthened against the pound.""

So Brexit Britain still attracted more investment than any other EU country then. Thanks for pointing that out.

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

"The World's largest sovereign wealth fund, Norway's £740 billion will invest heavily in Britain after Brexit regardless of the outcome of the Brexit negotiations. If we get a Brexit deal with the EU, Norway will invest in the UK, if we don't get a deal with the EU and leave on WTO terms it doesn't matter as Norway will still invest the same as if there had been a deal. This is a huge vote of confidence in the Uk as a free and independent country after we've left the EU. Norway says the UK will be stronger after Brexit. Norway has forecast that returns on its investments in the UK will increase.

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/world-s-top-wealth-fund-puts-billions-into-britain-qswjw8637

On top of this economist Liam Halligan writing in the Telegraph says Britain's economy is set to boom after we leave the EU and will become the largest economy in Europe because of Brexit.

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/02/28/britains-economy-set-boom-become-largest-europe-brexit/"

Their investment horizon is 30 years plus. Not quite up there with JRMs "we'll be fine in 50 years" but close.

Cannock

"The World's largest sovereign wealth fund, Norway's £740 billion will invest heavily in Britain after Brexit regardless of the outcome of the Brexit negotiations. If we get a Brexit deal with the EU, Norway will invest in the UK, if we don't get a deal with the EU and leave on WTO terms it doesn't matter as Norway will still invest the same as if there had been a deal. This is a huge vote of confidence in the Uk as a free and independent country after we've left the EU. Norway says the UK will be stronger after Brexit. Norway has forecast that returns on its investments in the UK will increase.

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/02/28/britains-economy-set-boom-become-largest-europe-brexit/

Their investment horizon is 30 years plus. Not quite up there with JRMs "we'll be fine in 50 years" but close."

You're missing the overall picture from the 2 stories. As Liam Halligan points out the UK was one of the highest benefactors in the world for direct foreign investment last year in 2018 (4 times higher than France and Germany). That investment will benefit the UK long before any 30 year date, and we'll be the largest economy in Europe long before that.

By *ork ClassCouple  over a year ago

Cork

You are one naive guy !!!

"You are one naive guy !!!"

Cannock

"You are one naive guy !!!"

Heard it all before from supposed know it all's like you before. Was told I was naive on here in 2016 before the referendum when I said Leave would win.

Needless to say the guy who leveled that at me ended up eating his words on June 24th 2016 (He's now UNLOS).

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"You are one naive guy !!!

Heard it all before from supposed know it all's like you before. Was told I was naive on here in 2016 before the referendum when I said Leave would win.

Needless to say the guy who leveled that at me ended up eating his words on June 24th 2016 (He's now UNLOS). "

...so what are the benefits of Brexit, or even just one?

Needless to say the guy who leveled that at me ended up eating his words on June 24th 2016 (He's now UNLOS). "

It’s not about being right, it’s about being fucked. I also said we’d vote to leave but it doesn’t save me from what’s up ahead just like it doesn’t you.

We have been scammed. Watch the full 3 hour disclosure from Chris Whylie on YouTube. You won’t regret it.

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/02/28/britains-economy-set-boom-become-largest-europe-brexit/"

I really don't understand you Centy.

People were asking what benefit does Brexit bring and you triumphantly link this thread of yours.

The fund guy himself says Brexit is irrelevant and makes no difference to them over the projected 30 year investment.

For a Brexit benefit to be a Brexit benefit it requires Brexit to happen for it to be a benefit and if Brexit does not happen then we wouldn't get this investment but it's happening Brexit or no Brexit.

Very odd to link this as a brexit benefit

Chudleigh

So far we have seen nothing other than we save on paying our membership fees. Given that we make a shed load more back, this seems a poor excuse to fuck the country up

Cannock

Needless to say the guy who leveled that at me ended up eating his words on June 24th 2016 (He's now UNLOS).

...so what are the benefits of Brexit, or even just one? "

There's 2 laid out in black and white on the opening statement of this thread.

Chudleigh

There's 2 laid out in black and white on the opening statement of this thread. "

Sorry, thats merely an opinion, it is not a fact. What do we actually get for this mess?

Cannock

It’s not about being right, it’s about being fucked. I also said we’d vote to leave but it doesn’t save me from what’s up ahead just like it doesn’t you.

We have been scammed. Watch the full 3 hour disclosure from Chris Whylie on YouTube. You won’t regret it.

"

I watched a full 3 hours of the BBC documentary titled "Europe - 10 years in turmoil" and it confirmed for me the country made the right choice in voting to leave. It's on BBC iplayer, maybe you should go and watch that.

Chudleigh

I watched a full 3 hours of the BBC documentary titled "Europe - 10 years in turmoil" and it confirmed for me the country made the right choice in voting to leave. It's on BBC iplayer, maybe you should go and watch that. "

You seem to be quite good at typing, maybe you could precis it for us all & outline the real benefits?

Cannock

People were asking what benefit does Brexit bring and you triumphantly link this thread of yours.

The fund guy himself says Brexit is irrelevant and makes no difference to them over the projected 30 year investment.

For a Brexit benefit to be a Brexit benefit it requires Brexit to happen for it to be a benefit and if Brexit does not happen then we wouldn't get this investment but it's happening Brexit or no Brexit.

Very odd to link this as a brexit benefit "

Have you actually bothered to read the links in the OP? Seems from your comments that you haven't. Norway said the UK will be stronger outside of the EU and that's why they're increasing their investments in the UK after Brexit. That is a Brexit benefit.

Chudleigh

Have you actually bothered to read the links in the OP? Seems from your comments that you haven't. Norway said the UK will be stronger outside of the EU and that's why they're increasing their investments in the UK after Brexit. That is a Brexit benefit. "

You know that is an opinion don’t you? & it isn’t actually a fact, it is entirely based on us being cheap to buy into as a result of cocking things up. So what actual benefit do we get?

Have you actually bothered to read the links in the OP? Seems from your comments that you haven't. Norway said the UK will be stronger outside of the EU and that's why they're increasing their investments in the UK after Brexit. That is a Brexit benefit. "

How much do you believe what Norway said? I wonder why they have a deal with EU. A country that would be weak without an EU trade agreement claims that the UK will be stronger without the EU. You're really naive and blind. Sorry but you do not know what you're writing about.

I watched a full 3 hours of the BBC documentary titled "Europe - 10 years in turmoil" and it confirmed for me the country made the right choice in voting to leave. It's on BBC iplayer, maybe you should go and watch that. "

Fucking hell lol

The BBC you say, well then it must be true!

You do know BBC management are hand picked by the Tory government?

Cannock

I watched a full 3 hours of the BBC documentary titled "Europe - 10 years in turmoil" and it confirmed for me the country made the right choice in voting to leave. It's on BBC iplayer, maybe you should go and watch that.

Fucking hell lol

"

Oh, looks like you're another addition to the tin foil hat wearing conspiracy brigade. And if you'd bothered to do even a basic minimal amount of research on this you'd find many examples of watchdogs like Ofsted ruling the BBC being biased against Brexit.

Fucking hell lol

Oh, looks like you're another addition to the tin foil hat wearing conspiracy brigade. And if you'd bothered to do even a basic minimal amount of research on this you'd find many examples of watchdogs like Ofsted ruling the BBC being biased against Brexit. "

The BBC do as the government tell them. Which is contrary to the typical relationship in a democracy between corporate media and state - where the media dictate to the state.

Plenty more of that to come.

You will believe what you will but it’s just round the corner now, so you’ll know soon enough.

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

Lots of countries and companies will be buying up chunks of UK plc because the value of the £ will fall and they will be able to pick up bargains

Essex

Halligan is another of your economist heroes along with Minford. The number of economists who believe those two can be counted on the fingers of two hands.

Well there are fcking numpties and then thers centuar lol enough said

Cannock

"Well there are fcking numpties and then thers centuar lol enough said "

So you've nothing to add to the thread other than childish insults. Seems this thread has touched a nerve with a few immature remainers on here. Not exactly hard to get remoaners triggered though, all in a days work.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

" The World's largest sovereign wealth fund, Norway's £740 billion will invest heavily in Britain after Brexit regardless of the outcome of the Brexit negotiations. "

What do you think that investment actually consists of (baring in mind it's a swf)? and what do you think will happen to any returns (baring in mind it's a swf)?

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

The UK and Norway share the oil and gas beneath the North Sea.

Isn't it peculiar in 2019 that we need the proceeds from the Norwegian half to sustain our own economy.

Why is that?

The UK has frittered away all the revenue from the North Sea since the 1970s by including it in the current account.

Norway took all the revenue from the North Sea since the 1970s and invested it in a sovereign wealth fund.

So when push comes to shove in 2019, Norway has money to invest and the UK does not.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

I can't believe how well we doing with so much negativity about

"The UK and Norway share the oil and gas beneath the North Sea.

Isn't it peculiar in 2019 that we need the proceeds from the Norwegian half to sustain our own economy.

Why is that?

The UK has frittered away all the revenue from the North Sea since the 1970s by including it in the current account.

Norway took all the revenue from the North Sea since the 1970s and invested it in a sovereign wealth fund.

So when push comes to shove in 2019, Norway has money to invest and the UK does not.

"

Well that's strong and stable government thinking!

I wonder what centy will do if it crashes? We all know what he will do in a boom!

Bristol East

In the UK sector, the North Sea has gone from being a huge public asset to a huge public liability.

The revenue has dried up and the taxpayer is on the hook for some £42bn in decommissioning costs through tax-breaks for the operators.

It's been grossly mismanaged when you look at what other countries did with their discoveries.

"In the UK sector, the North Sea has gone from being a huge public asset to a huge public liability.

The revenue has dried up and the taxpayer is on the hook for some £42bn in decommissioning costs through tax-breaks for the operators.

It's been grossly mismanaged when you look at what other countries did with their discoveries.

"

Is there not a pattern emerging here?

Taken from your own link Centy

"

Norway’s £740 billion wealth fund said yesterday that it would increase its exposure to British companies, property and bonds regardless of the outcome of Brexit negotiations

"

Regardless of Brexit negotiations

Not because of Brexit

Bristol East

"In the UK sector, the North Sea has gone from being a huge public asset to a huge public liability.

Is there not a pattern emerging here?"

It is the short-term thinking that characterises government in this country.

Those in office cannot think beyond the next election.

So everything is done in the interests of short-term preservation of power.

A huge windfall from oil and gas? Let's spend that on tax cuts to get us re-elected.

I read as much as I can, and can’t see a direct quote to support them being saying brexit will make us stronger or it’s because of brexit they will increase their investment. At best they say “current political uncertainties do not change our view of the situation“. Which is neutral.

All I get from the quotes is they have more money to spen and won’t be avoiding the UK as our stocks are cheap atm (like other places).

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

You don't understand business as you don't understand many things.

They have a thirty year time horizon as a sovereign wealth fund. It's patient money.

The majority of FTSE 100 companies on the UK stock exchange are international players. They will do whatever they need to based on how Brexit pans out. That could be shutting down everything in the UK if that proves necessary.

At the point Brexit occurs the pound will crash making UK shares a bargain as there will be panic over those too. International firms will book higher profits as the exchange rate will artificially flatter the value of foreign returns so share values will rise based in this. Stirling will eventually rise a little too.

So investing in UK stocks is a shrewd move. It won't benefit the jobs and prosperity of people here though.

#Brexiteconomicilliteracy

Cannock

"You don't understand business as you don't understand many things.

They have a thirty year time horizon as a sovereign wealth fund. It's patient money.

The majority of FTSE 100 companies on the UK stock exchange are international players. They will do whatever they need to based on how Brexit pans out. That could be shutting down everything in the UK if that proves necessary.

At the point Brexit occurs the pound will crash making UK shares a bargain as there will be panic over those too. International firms will book higher profits as the exchange rate will artificially flatter the value of foreign returns so share values will rise based in this. Stirling will eventually rise a little too.

So investing in UK stocks is a shrewd move. It won't benefit the jobs and prosperity of people here though.

#Brexiteconomicilliteracy "

Shows how little you know. Many pensions are linked to the FTSE 100 so if it does well that has an immediate benefit to Pension returns, which will benefit the prosperity of people here in the UK.

Cannock

"I can't believe how well we doing with so much negativity about"

Yep it's great news and I really can't wait to leave the EU

It's a wonder how the remoaners here manage to get out of bed in the morning as they have such a negative outlook it's a wonder they can get themselves motivated to face the day.

So, we're still at square one, no financial benefit to Brexit

"I can't believe how well we doing with so much negativity about

Yep it's great news and I really can't wait to leave the EU

It's a wonder how the remoaners here manage to get out of bed in the morning as they have such a negative outlook it's a wonder they can get themselves motivated to face the day. "

It's not a negative outlook, simply realistic reasoning and we don't take a piece of news and twist it on it's head to hide the economic harm of our decisions.

Shows how little you know. Many pensions are linked to the FTSE 100 so if it does well that has an immediate benefit to Pension returns, which will benefit the prosperity of people here in the UK. "

Those who are taking retirement income and have equity exposure will be the better off. I’d also hope their Uk equity exposure is limited or they will have a rollercoaster of a retirement (note: statement is true for any tightly defined asset class)

Most with more moderate retirements will be in defined benefits or traditional annuities. So not linked.

Anyway the FTSE isn’t the economy. It’s as much sentiment as it is technical analysis.

Cannock

"So, we're still at square one, no financial benefit to Brexit "

Increased returns for Pensions linked to the FTSE 100, increased foreign investment from Norway, and the UK becoming the largest economy in Europe as outlined in the OP, pretty clear there are many financial benefits to Brexit.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

"Shows how little you know. Many pensions are linked to the FTSE 100 so if it does well that has an immediate benefit to Pension returns, which will benefit the prosperity of people here in the UK."

Bloody hell man you're just embarrassing yourself now!

I've some learning pills if you wanna buy some (and yes they do taste like horseshit).

Essex

"So, we're still at square one, no financial benefit to Brexit

Increased returns for Pensions linked to the FTSE 100, increased foreign investment from Norway, and the UK becoming the largest economy in Europe as outlined in the OP, pretty clear there are many financial benefits to Brexit. "

Interesting that you only ever quote those people that are members of a tiny minority of economists. Minford and friends are outliers, the vast majority of economists do not see Brexit as the start of an economic boom

Cannock

Increased returns for Pensions linked to the FTSE 100, increased foreign investment from Norway, and the UK becoming the largest economy in Europe as outlined in the OP, pretty clear there are many financial benefits to Brexit.

Interesting that you only ever quote those people that are members of a tiny minority of economists. Minford and friends are outliers, the vast majority of economists do not see Brexit as the start of an economic boom"

Just because there is a majority voice it doesn't make them right. There were a majority of expert pollsters who said remain would win the referendum in 2016, turns out the minority of pollsters who said Leave would win were right, and the majority was wrong.

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

Interesting that you only ever quote those people that are members of a tiny minority of economists. Minford and friends are outliers, the vast majority of economists do not see Brexit as the start of an economic boom

Just because there is a majority voice it doesn't make them right. There were a majority of expert pollsters who said remain would win the referendum in 2016, turns out the minority of pollsters who said Leave would win were right, and the majority was wrong. "

Yes, the majority of people who voted in 2016 were all clearly wrong. Thanks for making that point.

Cannock

Just because there is a majority voice it doesn't make them right. There were a majority of expert pollsters who said remain would win the referendum in 2016, turns out the minority of pollsters who said Leave would win were right, and the majority was wrong.

Yes, the majority of people who voted in 2016 were all clearly wrong. Thanks for making that point."

They're not though as Brexit hasn't happened yet so you can't prove something right or wrong until it happens.

West London

Shows how little you know. Many pensions are linked to the FTSE 100 so if it does well that has an immediate benefit to Pension returns, which will benefit the prosperity of people here in the UK. "

Pensions represents only 8% of GDP.

However, one third of the working population has no private pension provision anyway.

Stock price is relevant at the point of purchasing your annuity and the overall period tgat you pay in. If you are unlucky enough to be retiring at the point when the market crashes yo get a lower pension or you have to delay your retirement.

Cannock

Shows how little you know. Many pensions are linked to the FTSE 100 so if it does well that has an immediate benefit to Pension returns, which will benefit the prosperity of people here in the UK.

However, one third of the working population has no private pension provision anyway.

Stock price is relevant at the point of purchasing your annuity and the overall period tgat you pay in. If you are unlucky enough to be retiring at the point when the market crashes yo get a lower pension or you have to delay your retirement."

So when you said "it won't benefit the prosperity of people here", you were wrong then. And anyone with half a brain will delay their retirement to when the market is high, that goes without saying.

Doesn’t work when you’re retiring though Ill health. Or redundancy. (And I suspect the latter is correlated with ftse return).

All in all, if you’re approaching annuising and have a high % in a single asset (uk equities in this example) you’re playing a risky game.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Increased returns for Pensions linked to the FTSE 100, increased foreign investment from Norway, and the UK becoming the largest economy in Europe as outlined in the OP, pretty clear there are many financial benefits to Brexit. "

ummmm.... i wouldn't use the FTSE 100 as proof for validation, thats because they report there figures in UK pounds... but do most of there business in US dollars..... so the "increase" as such is due to the devaluation of the pound..... so even if pensions go up... because they are worth less in "pounds now vs pounds pre referendum... not an arguement that i would make....

you are argueing that that lower value of the pounder is better for the average man of the streets, and bearing in mind we are a net importer of goods... and the man on the street isn't exporting anything, thats not the case.....

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

There's 2 laid out in black and white on the opening statement of this thread. "

To be fair and accurate, there are not two benefits laid out in black and white on the opening statement of this thread. What there is is two posts to a story that Norway is going to still invest the same amount in the UK despite BREXIT, which is not BREXIT good news, just BREXIT neutral news - unless in BREXIT UK things not getting worse is now the best good news we can expect - and a link to a story saying some "expert" thinks we'll be better if out of the EU than in. So that's two "experts" (him and Mumford) who think we'll be better off out and two thousand or more who think we'll be better of in.

Welcome to the best BREXIT news thread.

West London

Stock price is relevant at the point of purchasing your annuity and the overall period tgat you pay in. If you are unlucky enough to be retiring at the point when the market crashes yo get a lower pension or you have to delay your retirement.

So when you said "it won't benefit the prosperity of people here", you were wrong then. And anyone with half a brain will delay their retirement to when the market is high, that goes without saying. "

I also explained why share values would rise. The devaluation of the currency and moving real ivestment and jobs abroad.

Less employment and increased import costs and therefore inflation will benefit nobody, least of all pensioners.

Complicated isn't it?

Bristol East

"

The UK to become the largest economy in Europe.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

You consistently trash economists for their forecasts.

Yet here you are, picking an economist whose forecast you like.

Lol.

Bollocks.

Widnes

Is there not a pattern emerging here?

It is the short-term thinking that characterises government in this country.

Those in office cannot think beyond the next election.

So everything is done in the interests of short-term preservation of power.

A huge windfall from oil and gas? Let's spend that on tax cuts to get us re-elected.

"

Whilst I don't disagree with the main thrust of your argument I think it's only fair to point out that Norway is not Britain.

Norway has/had larger deposits in its North Sea sectors than the UK in the first place and Norway has a population of about 5- million not 60+ million. What was possible and could work for Norway was never going to possible for Britain.

By *G LanaTV/TS  over a year ago

Gosport

[Removed by poster at 02/03/19 11:30:03]

Cannock

To be fair and accurate, there are not two benefits laid out in black and white on the opening statement of this thread. What there is is two posts to a story that Norway is going to still invest the same amount in the UK despite BREXIT, which is not BREXIT good news, just BREXIT neutral news - unless in BREXIT UK things not getting worse is now the best good news we can expect - and a link to a story saying some "expert" thinks we'll be better if out of the EU than in. So that's two "experts" (him and Mumford) who think we'll be better off out and two thousand or more who think we'll be better of in.

"

You've clearly not bothered to read the links in the OP. Norway have said they will increase their investments in the UK after Brexit, (so they won't be remaining at the current levels, they will be higher than the current levels after Brexit).

As for your other glib comment about only 2 economists supporting Brexit, you must be living in a pretty big remain biased bubble if that's what you think.

Yes there is Patrick Minford and Liam Halligan as mentioned in the OP, but there are many others besides. Minford is part of a group of economists (plural) at the economists for free trade group. The institute for economic affairs lead by Mark Littlewood also support Brexit. Former governor of the bank of England Mervyn King support Brexit and say the Euro zone is doomed to failure. Independent economists like Steve Keen say we'll be better off out, hell even the leading economist at Germany's biggest bank the Deutsche Bank have said the UK will thrive outside of the EU. There are more economists than you realise supporting Brexit.

Cannock

So when you said "it won't benefit the prosperity of people here", you were wrong then. And anyone with half a brain will delay their retirement to when the market is high, that goes without saying.

I also explained why share values would rise. The devaluation of the currency and moving real ivestment and jobs abroad.

Less employment and increased import costs and therefore inflation will benefit nobody, least of all pensioners.

Complicated isn't it? "

Your claims don't reflect what is happening in reality though. The UK was one of the highest attractors of foreign direct investment in the world last year in 2018 (certainly the biggest in the EU). Now Norway are saying they'll invest more after Brexit. Increased investment has seen employment soar to record levels In the UK now and unemployment is at its lowest level since 1975. Wages in the UK have risen above the rate of inflation (source ONS).

Widnes

[Removed by poster at 02/03/19 11:45:29]

Interesting, Minford and his fellow economists are pro actions which decimate the manufacturing industry. Keen says our problems are from not focussing on manufacturing for the last 40 years.

So as with a lot of brexit, two groups are pro leaving but with almost diametrically oppositions views.

Widnes

You've clearly not bothered to read the links in the OP. Norway have said they will increase their investments in the UK after Brexit, (so they won't be remaining at the current levels, they will be higher than the current levels after Brexit).

As for your other glib comment about only 2 economists supporting Brexit, you must be living in a pretty big remain biased bubble if that's what you think.

Yes there is Patrick Minford and Liam Halligan as mentioned in the OP, but there are many others besides. Minford is part of a group of economists (plural) at the economists for free trade group. The institute for economic affairs lead by Mark Littlewood also support Brexit. Former governor of the bank of England Mervyn King support Brexit and say the Euro zone is doomed to failure. Independent economists like Steve Keen say we'll be better off out, hell even the leading economist at Germany's biggest bank the Deutsche Bank have said the UK will thrive outside of the EU. There are more economists than you realise supporting Brexit. "

Actually I have read the article. In fact I'd already read it before I even saw your thread. The article clearly says that Norway is investing in the UK "regardless of" BREXIT negotiations not "because of" or "despite of" BREXIT but "regardless of". That's BREXIT neutral not BREXIT positive or negative.

As for the "experts"; if you want to say there's ten or even 100 that think BREXIT is a good idea feel free, there's still thousands more that don't.

Cannock

Yes there is Patrick Minford and Liam Halligan as mentioned in the OP, but there are many others besides. Minford is part of a group of economists (plural) at the economists for free trade group. The institute for economic affairs lead by Mark Littlewood also support Brexit. Former governor of the bank of England Mervyn King support Brexit and say the Euro zone is doomed to failure. Independent economists like Steve Keen say we'll be better off out, hell even the leading economist at Germany's biggest bank the Deutsche Bank have said the UK will thrive outside of the EU. There are more economists than you realise supporting Brexit.

Actually I have read the article. In fact I'd already read it before I even saw your thread. The article clearly says that Norway is investing in the UK "regardless of" BREXIT negotiations not "because of" or "despite of" BREXIT but "regardless of". That's BREXIT neutral not BREXIT positive or negative.

As for the "experts"; if you want to say there's ten or even 100 that think BREXIT is a good idea feel free, there's still thousands more that don't.

"

Like the thousands more pollsters who said remain would win the referendum in 2016.

I'm glad I listened to the sensible minority of pollsters who said leave would win when I put my cash bet on leave winning at the bookies.

West London

Complicated isn't it?

Your claims don't reflect what is happening in reality though. The UK was one of the highest attractors of foreign direct investment in the world last year in 2018 (certainly the biggest in the EU). Now Norway are saying they'll invest more after Brexit. Increased investment has seen employment soar to record levels In the UK now and unemployment is at its lowest level since 1975. Wages in the UK have risen above the rate of inflation (source ONS). "

New topic now that you have failed in your original assertions?

We have also covered this before.

Foreign direct investment includes buying property and and companies.

As the pound has tanked you can buy more for your money if you are foreign based.

It doesn't indicate anything other than the fact that it is cheaper to buy UK assets.

The employment statistics include working one day a week. Are you able to indicate how this "record employment" is distributed? How many are kept below the minimum hours to gain permanent employment protection and benefits? How many are working multiple jobs?

Are you able to explain why food banks are still being used at record levels of everyone is doing so well?

The UK has the weakest pay growth in the G20and only 0.5% in real terms.

That's £143 on an average £28,677 wage.

Based on full employment that is a horribly low percentage.

UK consumer debt is also enormous. Racked up keeping the UK economy afloat. That is being paid back now so not coming through as increased spending.

Still complicated.

Do you really think that it is simple? That you have an answer that every government in e ery country has been wrestling with for centuries?

West London

Like the thousands more pollsters who said remain would win the referendum in 2016.

I'm glad I listened to the sensible minority of pollsters who said leave would win when I put my cash bet on leave winning at the bookies. "

So then good to listen to the sensible "minority" of those who voted to remain

1. Your pensions returns are far outweighed by the increasing costs due to the weak pound for everything else

2. Norway investment was happening anyway regardless of Brexit, they say so themselves.

3. For every 0ne economist that says Brexit will be good there's 10 that say otherwise.

Try again?

canterbury

Seems all remoaners want the great UK to fail .

Still I will wait and see as we all guessing at the mo ...my glass is always half full ...and can't wait for the next moan to come along.....remember the vote winners and losers .

By *an_WoodMan  over a year ago

Stafford

Sovereign fund adjusts it's portfolio weighting based on an assumption that UK assets will be cheaper. If the pound becomes cheaper as a result of Brexit then the UK companies become cheaper for foreign ownership. It's not the same as new investment that Japanese and US firms made over the last 30 years based on access to EU markets. The headlines blur an important distinction between new additional productive capacity and an one off opportunity caused by a drop in the cost of buying existing firms.

"Seems all remoaners want the great UK to fail .

Still I will wait and see as we all guessing at the mo ...my glass is always half full ...and can't wait for the next moan to come along.....remember the vote winners and losers .

"

Silly response.

Just because we haven't taken in the great Brexit lie doesn't mean we want the UK to fail.

We're concerned that Brexit will be a total cock up for the UK financially and pointing out the Brexit lies cannot be associated with wanting us to fail.

I accept the vote that we are leaving but that doesn't mean we can't point out every flawed reason that Brexit is going to be good for us.

West London

"

I voted remain because I want the best for my country.

You have no right to imply that I or anybody else is a traitor and wants the UK to fail.

You have no monopoly on deciding that. How arrogant.

By your account then 48% of those who voted will be permanently seen as "losers" and haters of their own nation by you.

Way to go to build a country

"

Wait we voted remain because we want the country to prosper. You voted leave remember.

If you want to count winner and losers. The uk lost. Jacob Rees Mogg won.

"

Quite the contrary, the last thing a remainer wants is for the UK to fail and the £ tank even more! It's already cost some of us thousands!

Remainers want the UK to boom, but we will soon know won't we?

Complicated isn't it?

Your claims don't reflect what is happening in reality though. The UK was one of the highest attractors of foreign direct investment in the world last year in 2018 (certainly the biggest in the EU). Now Norway are saying they'll invest more after Brexit. Increased investment has seen employment soar to record levels In the UK now and unemployment is at its lowest level since 1975. Wages in the UK have risen above the rate of inflation (source ONS). "

Do you know how this ‘government’ can claim record unemployment even though you can see with your own eyes poverty is soaring?

Because of the method used to calculate employment. The government count many people who are not even working at all, nevermind an hour in a fortnight, as employed. Those who are claiming unemployment benefit are counted as unemployed. But let’s say you are not working but also not in receipt of any unemployment benefit - in such case you are counted by this government as being employed!

That means that anyone who has been sanctioned and had benefit removed or is currently waiting weeks to receive UC are counted as employed.

Cannock

You have no right to imply that I or anybody else is a traitor and wants the UK to fail.

By your account then 48% of those who voted will be permanently seen as "losers" and haters of their own nation by you.

Way to go to build a country "

Unless you come to terms with the fact you lost the referendum an we are now leaving the EU then sorry to say but you will continue to be mocked as a "loser" and a sore one at that.

Cannock

Wait we voted remain because we want the country to prosper. You voted leave remember.

If you want to count winner and losers. The uk lost. Jacob Rees Mogg won."

No, the 52% won and the 48% lost. A school kid can explain to you that 52 is bigger than 48. That's how referendums actually work.

Fucking pathetic all this winner and loser bollocks. This isn’t a game, it’s people’s lives!

I hope for all our sakes you’re right but I fear very much that you are wrong. Where is your concern? Or do you not make mistakes Centaur?

What if you were wrong and the actions you had a hand in putting into motion ended up stopping yourself or someone you love getting for example, medical treatment in time? Do those things not run through your mind and worry you?

They worry me.

canterbury

Oh I'm silly....grow up

No, the 52% won and the 48% lost. A school kid can explain to you that 52 is bigger than 48. That's how referendums actually work. "

I’m talking about who actually won. In life you need to look at the big picture. Not just who shouts the loudest.

Most of the 52% who “won” in your eyes, have lost along with the 48%, and along with all those who didn’t vote.

What percentage of people will benefit? We’re talking 0.001% of the population. The ultra rich. The powerful. All the rest of us have lost.

No, the 52% won and the 48% lost. A school kid can explain to you that 52 is bigger than 48. That's how referendums actually work.

I’m talking about who actually won. In life you need to look at the big picture. Not just who shouts the loudest.

Most of the 52% who “won” in your eyes, have lost along with the 48%, and along with all those who didn’t vote.

What percentage of people will benefit? We’re talking 0.001% of the population. The ultra rich. The powerful. All the rest of us have lost. "

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Honda are about to inverst millions in Britain so although car manufacturing is leaving they are not.Sadly the biased BBC news did not give more than 25 seconds of this and scant on detail and the even more biased sgy news did not mention it.

There will be lots of investment like this bur sadly the bias and control of broadcasting by remain will not start to focus on this till we are out and probably not right away.

upton wirral

"

upton wirral

"

The UK to become the largest economy in Europe.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

You consistently trash economists for their forecasts.

Yet here you are, picking an economist whose forecast you like.

Lol.

Bollocks.

"

You are so bloody negative,when your proved wrong will you then get depression,well more miserable and depressed than you are now

upton wirral

"I can't believe how well we doing with so much negativity about"

West London

"Honda are about to inverst millions in Britain so although car manufacturing is leaving they are not.Sadly the biased BBC news did not give more than 25 seconds of this and scant on detail and the even more biased sgy news did not mention it.

There will be lots of investment like this bur sadly the bias and control of broadcasting by remain will not start to focus on this till we are out and probably not right away."

I think that you are talking about JLR about to announce a big investment in battery technology.

They need to pivot quickly away from diesel.

Upto 70% of this funding could come from government, so why wouldn't they?

Good news regardless but think around it. Would they or could they if it was all their own money?

West London

Way to go to build a country

Unless you come to terms with the fact you lost the referendum an we are now leaving the EU then sorry to say but you will continue to be mocked as a "loser" and a sore one at that. "

I don't have to "come to terms" with it.

That is rather the point of democracy.

You are a child calling peie names. What do you or anyone se gainfrom doing that?

By *edonistsatplayCouple  over a year ago

Portsmouth, North Brittany, France

Obviously my few words here pale into the insignificance of the Political and Economic Expert that you are but..

You fail to remember the 30% of the voting populous who didn't vote at all - I wonder what they now think about it?

You also don't seem to be aware that a couple of million of us weren't allowed to vote - and before you waffle on about "you've already left the country blah de bloody blah" under the freedom of movement, moving to mainland EU and working is no different than someone moving from Essex to Yorkshire.

When your man Farage spouted off about all those 'Europeans waiting to steal your jobs' he failed to mention that there was nothing stopping anyone moving elsewhere in the EU to find work - just like his German wife who was employed as his personal assistant........

Fact - the UK has been generally, a net importer of product since pretty much the end of the industrial revolution.

Fact - The UK is no longer the power house and manufacturing giant it used to be, borne out by the service industry now being the UKs biggest employer and that a large percentage of the remaining industries are either fully or partly own by 'Johnny Foreigner'

Fact - everyone agrees that the UK pound will dive in value, how much extra will those imports now cost and that's before any trade tariffs are added?? (and no, it's not 'scaremongering or fake news' which seems to be the normal bolt hole that's used when you read something that you don't agree with). It may well recover over a period of time, but how many will have suffered in the meantime?

Fact - the UK will be in direct competition with the U.S., China, Japan, the EU to name but a few. How do you think it will fare? It's like Arkwrights Corner Store taking on ASDAs, Tescos, Morrisons and Sainsburys.

There are far more folk stating that the UK is going to suffer than prosper - it beggars belief that you are blinded enough to believe every single one of them is wrong.

It seems to me that there is a chunk of the Exiteer fraternity that are cutting off the nose to spite the face, people who are determined to leave the EU on principle and no matter what the cost would be even if it does mean sailing the UK down the toilet.

"Fucking pathetic all this winner and loser bollocks. This isn’t a game, it’s people’s lives!

"

Indeed and every time the Brexit lie that we'll somehow be financially better off is debunked the old favourites on here resort to the "we won you lost nar nar née nar naarrr" playground behaviour.

"Obviously my few words here pale into the insignificance of the Political and Economic Expert that you are but..

You fail to remember the 30% of the voting populous who didn't vote at all - I wonder what they now think about it?

You also don't seem to be aware that a couple of million of us weren't allowed to vote - and before you waffle on about "you've already left the country blah de bloody blah" under the freedom of movement, moving to mainland EU and working is no different than someone moving from Essex to Yorkshire.

When your man Farage spouted off about all those 'Europeans waiting to steal your jobs' he failed to mention that there was nothing stopping anyone moving elsewhere in the EU to find work - just like his German wife who was employed as his personal assistant........

Fact - the UK has been generally, a net importer of product since pretty much the end of the industrial revolution.

Fact - The UK is no longer the power house and manufacturing giant it used to be, borne out by the service industry now being the UKs biggest employer and that a large percentage of the remaining industries are either fully or partly own by 'Johnny Foreigner'

Fact - everyone agrees that the UK pound will dive in value, how much extra will those imports now cost and that's before any trade tariffs are added?? (and no, it's not 'scaremongering or fake news' which seems to be the normal bolt hole that's used when you read something that you don't agree with). It may well recover over a period of time, but how many will have suffered in the meantime?

Fact - the UK will be in direct competition with the U.S., China, Japan, the EU to name but a few. How do you think it will fare? It's like Arkwrights Corner Store taking on ASDAs, Tescos, Morrisons and Sainsburys.

There are far more folk stating that the UK is going to suffer than prosper - it beggars belief that you are blinded enough to believe every single one of them is wrong.

It seems to me that there is a chunk of the Exiteer fraternity that are cutting off the nose to spite the face, people who are determined to leave the EU on principle and no matter what the cost would be even if it does mean sailing the UK down the toilet."

Excellent post

Reports just in. My Johnson to increase in length by 15% every year after Brexit.

There's no evidence, no facts, nothing to suggest it's true. But if we're all positive and it will happen.

Anyone who disagrees is a stupid, deluded, and negative.

The trouble with the whole winningand losing mentality is no one really knows what the prize is.

But as soon as we start talking about that, someone will just revert back to we won, you lost.

Its like the UK have been entered into the Running Man.

Who loves You, and and who do you love?

Cannock

"Fucking pathetic all this winner and loser bollocks. This isn’t a game, it’s people’s lives!

. "

You're right this is not a game, this is now about the credibility and survival of democracy in this country! Because frankly if we don't leave the EU then democracy is well and truly dead in the UK.

West London

You're right this is not a game, this is now about the credibility and survival of democracy in this country! Because frankly if we don't leave the EU then democracy is well and truly dead in the UK. "

Democracy dies if there's another vote

Cannock

You're right this is not a game, this is now about the credibility and survival of democracy in this country! Because frankly if we don't leave the EU then democracy is well and truly dead in the UK.

Democracy dies if there's another vote "

Democracy dies when the clear result of a vote is not implemented.

You're right this is not a game, this is now about the credibility and survival of democracy in this country! Because frankly if we don't leave the EU then democracy is well and truly dead in the UK. "

So you're saying we are down to a choice be seen doing what's right for the country, or respecting democracy?

Cannock

So you're saying we are down to a choice be seen doing what's right for the country, or respecting democracy?"

Respecting democracy is whats right for the country. Whats right for the country is leaving the EU.

Remains project fear claims from 2016 were completely debunked following the Vote to Leave. The ludicrous scaremongering of the same nature being put about by remainers again now will be debunked again when we leave after 29th March.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

So you're saying we are down to a choice be seen doing what's right for the country, or respecting democracy?

Respecting democracy is whats right for the country. Whats right for the country is leaving the EU.

Remains project fear claims from 2016 were completely debunked following the Vote to Leave. The ludicrous scaremongering of the same nature being put about by remainers again now will be debunked again when we leave after 29th March. "

basically you just said you want democracy... but you fear democracy won't go your way again, so you don't want a democratic vote based on actual detail..

gotcha!!!!!

see.. if i was that confident that another vote would go my way.... i'd want one as affirmation

West London

Remains project fear claims from 2016 were completely debunked following the Vote to Leave. The ludicrous scaremongering of the same nature being put about by remainers again now will be debunked again when we leave after 29th March. "

Remain's "project fear" claim that this is a once in a generation vote is one of your major arguments to not have a another vote.

So is some of it true and some of it not true based purely on what you like the sound of?

You have the most amazing skill in cherry picking the odd one or two pieces of semi-true information, taking them out of context, missing everything else, and proclaiming them fact.

Its truly impressive.

Widnes

I'm glad I listened to the sensible minority of pollsters who said leave would win when I put my cash bet on leave winning at the bookies. "

How much did you make?

Cannock

I'm glad I listened to the sensible minority of pollsters who said leave would win when I put my cash bet on leave winning at the bookies.

How much did you make?

"

That's for me and my wallet to know. Was more than enough to have a very good night out celebrating on the winnings though and left a bit to spare besides

By *teveuk77Man  over a year ago

uk

"

Why would a country outside the EU say that another country would be better off inside the UK?

If we leave the EU there are significant advantages for non-EU countries who trade with us to renegotiate with the UK because , despite the claims, it's them who hold all the cards and not us.

uk

"

Democracy dies when the clear result of a vote is not implemented. "

Apparently not...

"In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it." Nigel Garage

"If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy" David Davis

"We could have two referendums. As it happens, it might make more sense to have the second referendum after the renegotiation is completed" Jacob Rees-Mogg

uk

*farage

» Add a new message to this topic