FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The dup dont stand for the people

The dup dont stand for the people

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The dup's hard line stance is not shared by many within the unionist community, but they don't speak for the people of northern ireland, whats your view?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

The Irish Times published a survey last week suggesting the majority in NI disagreed with their Brexit stance.

Some interesting stuff about people being happy with regulatory borders in the Irish Sea rather than on the island.

It really does underline the risks being taken as a result of the DUP influence on UK Government policy.

"The Irish Times published a survey last week suggesting the majority in NI disagreed with their Brexit stance.

Some interesting stuff about people being happy with regulatory borders in the Irish Sea rather than on the island.

It really does underline the risks being taken as a result of the DUP influence on UK Government policy."

That is right, they should respect the peoples vote of being in the eu and push for that,but they dont as may have payed the dup to be on her side.

Bristol East

And all this when there is no devolved government in place to represent the interests of the people.

It is an unstable mix.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

So who elected ten DUP candidates if they don’t represent the people of NI? Someone must support them, just not republicunts...

"And all this when there is no devolved government in place to represent the interests of the people.

It is an unstable mix."

Yes it is, lets hope it will be sorted soon with the right government.

"So who elected ten DUP candidates if they don’t represent the people of NI? Someone must support them, just not republicunts..."
Not sure who, but the dup won eight seats in the 1973 election to the assembly, following the downfall of the agreement, so you can argue if it was a good way they come about.

"So who elected ten DUP candidates if they don’t represent the people of NI? Someone must support them, just not republicunts...Not sure who, but the dup won eight seats in the 1973 election to the assembly, following the downfall of the agreement, so you can argue if it was a good way they come about."
Such parties usually come about when negative things happen.

Bristol East

"So who elected ten DUP candidates if they don’t represent the people of NI? Someone must support them, just not republicunts..."

That is like arguing that 300 and odd Conservative MPs represent the people of the UK. They do not.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

It seems to me they are just a bunch of political biggots who have no place in a modern democratic system,but this also applies to the Liberals

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"The dup's hard line stance is not shared by many within the unionist community, but they don't speak for the people of northern ireland, whats your view?"

My view is they are speaking for the people of the UK as it was a UK wide EU referendum, and the UK as a whole voted to Leave.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

Their constituents in Northern Ireland elected them in the 2017 general election and it was in the DUP general election manifesto that they would respect the result of the EU referendum to Leave.

Also as DUP MP Ian Paisley Jr said on BBC Newsnight last night his constituency of North Antrim voted 62.2% Leave in the EU referendum so he is representing the views of his constituents.

Bristol East

"The dup's hard line stance is not shared by many within the unionist community, but they don't speak for the people of northern ireland, whats your view?

My view is they are speaking for the people of the UK as it was a UK wide EU referendum, and the UK as a whole voted to Leave. "

Most bizarre assertion I have read on here for quite some time. And that is quite a feat.

The DUP speaks on behalf of the UK population?

PMSL

Have you forgotten to take your tablets today?

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

They represent 36% of the electorate.

"It seems to me they are just a bunch of political biggots who have no place in a modern democratic system,but this also applies to the Liberals"

This is the kind of stuff that brings me to the politics forum. Some people have such bizarre views.

DUP are homophones and islamaphobes. That’s always been clear.

But now you’re labelling liberals as bigots. Liberalism is in no way related to bigotry, not in a positive or negative way. It just so happens that most liberals are generally against bigotry. As is the majority of the population.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

Whilst I don't agree with the DUP and their stance on many things, including BREXIT, I believe that they are backing and supporting what most of then believe to be in the best interests of their constituents and their country. MPs are elected and have a duty to vote in accordance with what they believe to be the best interests of their constituents and the country. If the DUP believe that BREXIT is in the best interests of their constituents and the country that is what they should vote for. The people (of Northern Ireland) can hold them to account for their actions at the next General Election.

Maybe if other MPs across the house voted for what they actually believed to be in the best interests of their constituents and the country this whole BREXIT disaster would have been stopped before it even started.

As of now the DUP have more Mps than any other party in Northern Ireland and as such represent a higher proportion of the population than any other party.

They represent the interests of the residents of Northern Ireland. To state the obvious that is why they were voted in.

"So who elected ten DUP candidates if they don’t represent the people of NI? Someone must support them, just not republicunts...

That is like arguing that 300 and odd Conservative MPs represent the people of the UK. They do not.

"

The best way if looking at it is that the Conservatives represent the interests of more people than any other party . If this was not the case , they would not be in government .

Bristol East

How can they represent the interests of Northern Ireland on this issue when the majority voted to remain in the EU?

Then again, this is Brexit. Make up something you want to believe and keep repeating it until fiction becomes truth.

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

The DUP won 36% of the votes in NI in 2017. That was 292,00 votes. They hardly speak for the whole of NI do they? Nor is it very democratic that these 10 dinosaur denying fundamentalist nutters are holding the whole of the Uk to ransom

Your ignorance of the facts is worrying

Essex

"As of now the DUP have more Mps than any other party in Northern Ireland and as such represent a higher proportion of the population than any other party.

They represent the interests of the residents of Northern Ireland. To state the obvious that is why they were voted in. "

Yet they only managed to get just over a third of the votes cast

Essex

Reading the tariff plans in the event of a No Deal, it strikes me as a little odd that there will be no tariffs on trade between ROI and NI but there will be between ROI and the rest of the UK. I thought the DUP didnt want to be treated differently to the rest of the UK...their hypocrisy knows no limits

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"How can they represent the interests of Northern Ireland on this issue when the majority voted to remain in the EU?

Then again, this is Brexit. Make up something you want to believe and keep repeating it until fiction becomes truth."

It's not a matter of whether you or I believe, or even if they actually are or aren't, acting in the best interests of the people they represent. All that matters is that they believe that they are and that those they claim to represent can hold them to account.

By *ab_SparklesWoman  over a year ago

sparkle Surprised

Sounding a bit thick ok a lot are the DUP similar to this new independent group that as popped up. I honestly don't understand. I can't even get it from a political view just reading what you all just said.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"Sounding a bit thick ok a lot are the DUP similar to this new independent group that as popped up. I honestly don't understand. I can't even get it from a political view just reading what you all just said. "

The DUP are the hard line fundamentalist protestant party in northern Ireland. Their beliefs include that sex is evil, women should be subservient, anybody lgbt will burn in hell, abortion should be punished by death, catholics are evil... Hope you get the picture. I am only exaggerating very slightly.

In the same way that sinn fein were the political wing of the southern Ireland terrorists, the DUP are the political wing of the northern Ireland terrorists. Only where sinn fein seem to have modernised and southern Ireland is becoming more progressive, the DUP if anything are going backwards in time.

Some people on this forum keep accusing Corbyn of being a terrorist because years ago he helped negotiate the peace process with sinn fein, at the request of the government of the day. Whereas May used two billion pounds of taxpayers money to buy the votes of the DUP MPs purely to stay in power.

The independent group are MPs who believe in giving the people a choice in the future of the country, and are progressive in attitude. The DUP believe that they are chosen by god to control the people and would hang everybody on this website if they could.

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

The dup want NI treated the exact same as everywhere else in the UK but want to keep abortion illegal there.

They are also over in the USA for st Patrick's Day even though they continually say they are not Irish

Hypocrites

By *ocketman99Man  over a year ago

fermanagh

First of, Theresa May said prior to the collapse of Stormont Northern Ireland would not have independent representation in the brexit negotiations. May said Northern Ireland’s interests would be negotiated by Downing Street!

Secondly, the Alliance, SDLP, Green Party and Sinn Fein have met leaders in Europe, in Dublin and in London (when May did not snub them) and have stood united in their support for the backstop agreement. If Stormont was running this would be the state of play as you have right now!

Finally, as for no representation, you couldn’t be more wrong! Sinn Fein are fighting hard for the people ov the north where it counts, in Brussels and Strasbourg. There hasn’t been an MEP or anyone who counts that hasn’t been constantly lobbied! Indeed, David Davis conceded Martina Anderson has played a blinder for the people of the north!

By *ocketman99Man  over a year ago

fermanagh

Thing is those DUP politicians are a bunch of Randy fuckers!

Into nudist beaches, extra martial flings, male prostitution but if we head to the pub, meet someone we fancy and back to the bedroom for a marathon of sex we are sinners!

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"The Irish Times published a survey last week suggesting the majority in NI disagreed with their Brexit stance.

It really does underline the risks being taken as a result of the DUP influence on UK Government policy.That is right, they should respect the peoples vote of being in the eu and push for that,but they dont as may have payed the dup to be on her side."

So you think MPs should respect the votes of their individual constituencies?

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

"The dup's hard line stance is not shared by many within the unionist community, but they don't speak for the people of northern ireland, whats your view?

My view is they are speaking for the people of the UK as it was a UK wide EU referendum, and the UK as a whole voted to Leave. "

Some people voted to leave.

Not the UK as a whole.

They simply want to trash the GFA and do not care about the social or economic impacts of doing such.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

"Sounding a bit thick ok a lot are the DUP similar to this new independent group that as popped up. I honestly don't understand. I can't even get it from a political view just reading what you all just said.

The DUP are the hard line fundamentalist protestant party in northern Ireland. Their beliefs include that sex is evil, women should be subservient, anybody lgbt will burn in hell, abortion should be punished by death, catholics are evil... Hope you get the picture. I am only exaggerating very slightly.

In the same way that sinn fein were the political wing of the southern Ireland terrorists, the DUP are the political wing of the northern Ireland terrorists. Only where sinn fein seem to have modernised and southern Ireland is becoming more progressive, the DUP if anything are going backwards in time.

Some people on this forum keep accusing Corbyn of being a terrorist because years ago he helped negotiate the peace process with sinn fein, at the request of the government of the day. Whereas May used two billion pounds of taxpayers money to buy the votes of the DUP MPs purely to stay in power.

The independent group are MPs who believe in giving the people a choice in the future of the country, and are progressive in attitude. The DUP believe that they are chosen by god to control the people and would hang everybody on this website if they could."

The independent group do what?

They need to sort out their endemic racism problem first. You think it's bad in the other two parties? One in eleven TIG MPs is a racist....

By *-4pleasureCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

"Sounding a bit thick ok a lot are the DUP similar to this new independent group that as popped up. I honestly don't understand. I can't even get it from a political view just reading what you all just said.

The independent group are MPs who believe in giving the people a choice in the future of the country, and are progressive in attitude. The DUP believe that they are chosen by god to control the people and would hang everybody on this website if they could."

Your lack of knowledge is breathtaking.

Your assertions wildly inaccurate and a little scary.

If people don’t have even the most fundamental understanding of a situation they really should take the time to educate themselves in order to at least have something of worth to add.

The independent group are MPs who believe in giving the people a choice in the future of the country, and are progressive in attitude. The DUP believe that they are chosen by god to control the people and would hang everybody on this website if they could.

If people don’t have even the most fundamental understanding of a situation they really should take the time to educate themselves in order to at least have something of worth to add.

"

Excellent post . It is quite concerning that someone who clearly knows nothing about the DUP makes the post that they did.

The 2 billion referred to went to help every citizen of NI regardless of their political allegiance .

Essex

"

Are you going to tell us where his analysis is wrong then? Or will the answer be the usual DUP -NO?

I look forward to a justification for a party which polled a tad over 290,000 votes being the tail that wags the UK dog

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

"

I understand the situation, but also understand that the DUP are religious fundamentalists.

Belfast

Are you going to tell us where his analysis is wrong then? Or will the answer be the usual DUP -NO?

I look forward to a justification for a party which polled a tad over 290,000 votes being the tail that wags the UK dog"

You seem to have assumed that I support the DUP - an interesting assumption but not unexpected.

I’m not here to inform you - the information is readily available to anyone who cares to debate from a position of knowledge.

I will however draw your attention to the “analysis” posted stating that “The DUP believe that they are chosen by god to control the people and would hang everybody on this website if they could“.

You could do worse than to critically examine that for a start

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"The dup's hard line stance is not shared by many within the unionist community, but they don't speak for the people of northern ireland, whats your view?"

They got elected and happen to hold the balance of power.

So much so that they will now vote for May's deal if they have a seat at the following trade negotiations.

Ironically they do not actually represent the views of the majority of their countrymen yet they are the only ones speaking for them.

"May you live in interesting times" is a Chinese curse.

By *ab_SparklesWoman  over a year ago

sparkle Surprised

What happens if dup take this apperently money bribe for votes and there is a backstop.

West London

"What happens if dup take this apperently money bribe for votes and there is a backstop. "

It's all fine if Brexit happens as that goal justifies anything and everything it seems

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Excellent post . It is quite concerning that someone who clearly knows nothing about the DUP makes the post that they did.

The 2 billion referred to went to help every citizen of NI regardless of their political allegiance . "

that may be so... but it was HOW they were given the money!

money for the regions is normally given via the block grant

but because it was done outside of the Barnett formula, which meant that scotland should have been given more money and wales should have been given more money...

what they did was favour one of the nations over the others... and you can see why people would scream "bribe".......

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"

The 2 billion referred to went to help every citizen of NI regardless of their political allegiance .

that may be so... but it was HOW they were given the money!

money for the regions is normally given via the block grant

but because it was done outside of the Barnett formula, which meant that scotland should have been given more money and wales should have been given more money...

what they did was favour one of the nations over the others... and you can see why people would scream "bribe"......."

Yes and it was funny how Mrs May needed some votes, suddenly found 2 billion pounds for NI, and got the support of the DUP.

Essex

I look forward to a justification for a party which polled a tad over 290,000 votes being the tail that wags the UK dog

You seem to have assumed that I support the DUP - an interesting assumption but not unexpected.

I’m not here to inform you - the information is readily available to anyone who cares to debate from a position of knowledge.

I will however draw your attention to the “analysis” posted stating that “The DUP believe that they are chosen by god to control the people and would hang everybody on this website if they could“.

"

Thanks for the patronising reply....very helpful. I will have to assume that you have no issue with 10 NI MPs holding the rest of the UK to ransom and, that rather than justify that disgraceful state of affairs you feel the need to obfuscate

Belfast

Thanks for the patronising reply....very helpful. I will have to assume that you have no issue with 10 NI MPs holding the rest of the UK to ransom and, that rather than justify that disgraceful state of affairs you feel the need to obfuscate "

While you’re doing your homework check up on “parliamentary democracy” at the same time. That might help explain to you how a small party can wrest concessions from a larger party in order to secure them in power.

Think of the recent Tory / Liberal pact - that might help you get your head around it.

Don’t give up - you’re doing real well

Not sure if any of you lot have been to Northern Ireland recently but it is quite a deprived area, I was in a Protestant home a couple of years ago and was amazed at how austere it was. They were a lovely family though and I could see how happy they were and how much they appreciated that the troubles were in the past and did not want to return to it.

So if I was Arlene Foster and could bring some extra money into Northern Ireland I would be doing exactly the same as her and deliver a bit of extra prosperity to the hard working families of Northern Ireland. In a way it will be an extra Peace dividend if they vote for the deal on offer. Of course in a couple of years time it could all go shit shaped but for the time being a bit of peace will have been bought for a relatively small part of the overall UK GDP.

West London

"Not sure if any of you lot have been to Northern Ireland recently but it is quite a deprived area, I was in a Protestant home a couple of years ago and was amazed at how austere it was. They were a lovely family though and I could see how happy they were and how much they appreciated that the troubles were in the past and did not want to return to it.

So if I was Arlene Foster and could bring some extra money into Northern Ireland I would be doing exactly the same as her and deliver a bit of extra prosperity to the hard working families of Northern Ireland. In a way it will be an extra Peace dividend if they vote for the deal on offer. Of course in a couple of years time it could all go shit shaped but for the time being a bit of peace will have been bought for a relatively small part of the overall UK GDP."

...or the government should be spending in deprives areas like NI and the North East regardless of trying to buy Parliamentary votes for short term political benefit. Long term it's these arwas that will feel the most financial pain from a botched or even perfect Brexit

Belfast

"Not sure if any of you lot have been to Northern Ireland recently but it is quite a deprived area, I was in a Protestant home a couple of years ago and was amazed at how austere it was. They were a lovely family though and I could see how happy they were and how much they appreciated that the troubles were in the past and did not want to return to it.

So if I was Arlene Foster and could bring some extra money into Northern Ireland I would be doing exactly the same as her and deliver a bit of extra prosperity to the hard working families of Northern Ireland. In a way it will be an extra Peace dividend if they vote for the deal on offer. Of course in a couple of years time it could all go shit shaped but for the time being a bit of peace will have been bought for a relatively small part of the overall UK GDP."

Jesus Christ.... You make it sound like something out of Angela’s Ashes ffs

You may be interested to know the 20 most deprived areas in the UK according to the Givernments own living wage commission:

Top twenty most deprived regions in the UK

Tendring- around St Osyth and Seawick

Blackpool- the Area near The Central Pier

Blackpool- Around the Promenade by the North Pier

Thanet- In Cliftonville West

Blackpool- in the Region by the South Pier

Tendring- in the Area by Clacton-On-The-Sea

Blackpool- in the Region That Falls between Waterloo Road and St Chad’s Station

Coventry- In the Area around Hillmorton Road In Henly

Blackpool- In Woolman Road As Well As Clinton Avenue

Waveney- In the Location of the South Pier in Lowestoft

Blackpool-Around the Cookson Street

Kingston upon Hull- near St John’s Grove

North East Lincolnshire- In the Area That Is Around Oxford Street in Grimsby

Burnley- The Area That Falls On Tay Street and Howard Street

Burnley- The Region That Lies Between Belvedere Road and the Church Street

Mansfield- In Sandy Lane

Blackpool- In Carshalton Road As Well As Clevedon Road

Blackburn with Darwen- The Region of Wensley Fold

Great Yarmouth- By the Seafront

I’m sure there are some “lovely” families living there though ....

He he,

Maybe their MP should offer to back the deal too then

Newcastle and Gateshead

So if I was Arlene Foster and could bring some extra money into Northern Ireland I would be doing exactly the same as her and deliver a bit of extra prosperity to the hard working families of Northern Ireland. In a way it will be an extra Peace dividend if they vote for the deal on offer. Of course in a couple of years time it could all go shit shaped but for the time being a bit of peace will have been bought for a relatively small part of the overall UK GDP.

You may be interested to know the 20 most deprived areas in the UK according to the Givernments own living wage commission:

Mansfield- In Sandy Lane

"

but yet again...... that doesn't account for how the money was given...

if NI was given an extra £2bn.... then under barnett formula rules, it mean that Scotland should have been given an extra £1.87 billon..... it means Wales should have been given an extra £1.77 billion.... it means that England councils should have gotten an extra £1.56 billion.....

they all not nothing extra......

now you can see why people scream bribe......

Belfast

Mansfield- In Sandy Lane

if NI was given an extra £2bn.... then under barnett formula rules, it mean that Scotland should have been given an extra £1.87 billon..... it means Wales should have been given an extra £1.77 billion.... it means that England councils should have gotten an extra £1.56 billion.....

now you can see why people scream bribe......"

Did May not give an extra two billion to the north of England some weeks ago to calm the rebels ?? ....

Newcastle and Gateshead

Mansfield- In Sandy Lane

Did May not give an extra two billion to the north of England some weeks ago to calm the rebels ?? ....

"

nope.... she added 2 billion to an existing government regeneration fund.... which means ALL eligible councils can apply for that money....

ironically it is still not as much as the EU would have given back in regeneration money under current schemes........

Belfast

Mansfield- In Sandy Lane

nope.... she added 2 billion to an existing government regeneration fund.... which means ALL eligible councils can apply for that money....

ironically it is still not as much as the EU would have given back in regeneration money under current schemes........"

However I assume you see my point ?

Essex

Thanks for the patronising reply....very helpful. I will have to assume that you have no issue with 10 NI MPs holding the rest of the UK to ransom and, that rather than justify that disgraceful state of affairs you feel the need to obfuscate

While you’re doing your homework check up on “parliamentary democracy” at the same time. That might help explain to you how a small party can wrest concessions from a larger party in order to secure them in power.

Think of the recent Tory / Liberal pact - that might help you get your head around it.

Don’t give up - you’re doing real well "

I asked if you thought it was acceptable not for a history lesson (which I certainly don,t need thanks. I'm also aware that the Liberals weren't dinosaur denying, repressive hypocrites...feel free to carry on trying to be clever (and failing abjectly)

By *eisurepleasureMan  over a year ago

belfast

Northern Irelands problem is the people who dont vote i think its 40%

If the politicians voted for voting to be made compulsory they would all need to run for cover

By *he machinistMan  over a year ago

Stoke

Don’t give up - you’re doing real well

I asked if you thought it was acceptable not for a history lesson (which I certainly don,t need thanks. I'm also aware that the Liberals weren't dinosaur denying, repressive hypocrites...feel free to carry on trying to be clever (and failing abjectly)"

See!.

That's what I meant by your previous dross

» Add a new message to this topic