FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Second Referendum and Manifestos

Second Referendum and Manifestos

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asyuk OP   Man  over a year ago

West London

Did any political party rule out a second referendum in teir manifesto?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

not that I know of (and I read the 2 main ones an precis of the other major parties).

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Did any political party rule out a second referendum in teir manifesto?"

I’ve never read the UKIP manifesto, but assuming it has words as well as pictures, I assume theirs does.

moston

"I’ve never read the UKIP manifesto, but assuming it has words as well as pictures, I assume theirs does. "

Actually theirs said that if the result of a referendum was close (and they lost) then the subject would not be closed and they would continue campaigning for a second and third referendum until there was a clear (overwhelming) majority for remaining in the EU.

"I’ve never read the UKIP manifesto, but assuming it has words as well as pictures, I assume theirs does.

Actually theirs said that if the result of a referendum was close (and they lost) then the subject would not be closed and they would continue campaigning for a second and third referendum until there was a clear (overwhelming) majority for remaining in the EU."

LOL

West London

We will see if the leave contingent have anything to say.

I also think that there is no manifesto promise that prevents a second referendum from being conducted.

Interesting.

"We will see if the leave contingent have anything to say.

I also think that there is no manifesto promise that prevents a second referendum from being conducted.

Interesting."

Manifestos aren't worth the bog roll their written on anyway.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

The debate about a second referendum in Scotland might give you some insight.

The nationalists accepted the result but reserved the right to pursue another vote if there was a material change in circumstances.

The 2016 EU referendum was a material change in circumstances, they argue, because a large feature of the 2014 vote in Scotland was the argument that Scotland would exit the EU as well as the UK if it voted Yes.

Has there been a material change in circumstances since the 2016 EU referendum.

Sure, we may all be a bit wiser about the consequences. But that's not really a material change, is it?

There is also the generally accepted argument that the issue put to referenda ought to be once in a generation.

How long is a generation?

It is defined in law in only one place - the Belfast Agreement.

In the event of a referendum on Irish unification, another ballot cannot take place before seven years have elapsed.

So a generational change is defined there are 7 years.

I can see the argument for putting Mrs May's deal versus No Deal back to the people, for the simple reason it has utterly stymied Parliament.

I'm not convinced it is the right thing to do, but it is quite feasible to to have a two-question paper:

A) Leave or Remain

B) Leave with the May deal or with no deal.

i.e. the answer to the first question determines whether the 2nd question comes into play or not.

moston

The thing that really gets me about this whole brexit debacle is that had the referendum been mandatory it would have been declared null and void due to electoral malpractice. But because it was advisory the government can treat it as if in was mandatory and force brexit through even though by now everyone must know it is harmful to the UK and only the super rich are going to benefit from brexit.

West London

"The debate about a second referendum in Scotland might give you some insight.

The nationalists accepted the result but reserved the right to pursue another vote if there was a material change in circumstances.

The 2016 EU referendum was a material change in circumstances, they argue, because a large feature of the 2014 vote in Scotland was the argument that Scotland would exit the EU as well as the UK if it voted Yes.

Sure, we may all be a bit wiser about the consequences. But that's not really a material change, is it?

There is also the generally accepted argument that the issue put to referenda ought to be once in a generation.

In the event of a referendum on Irish unification, another ballot cannot take place before seven years have elapsed.

I can see the argument for putting Mrs May's deal versus No Deal back to the people, for the simple reason it has utterly stymied Parliament.

I'm not convinced it is the right thing to do, but it is quite feasible to to have a two-question paper:

A) Leave or Remain

i.e. the answer to the first question determines whether the 2nd question comes into play or not.

"

Why once in a generation?

Who "generally" accepted this and when?

Switzerland has referenda regularly and can repeat the same question as long as there is enough support.

"

"

This would be absolute madness. The last referendum proved that voters are too easily swayed by photos of brown people walking through fields in Bulgaria or promises of magic non-existent money for the NHS, to be able to make a sane choice.

Putting the power to completely ruin the country for future generations should not happen again.

By *iverpool LoverMan  over a year ago

liverpool

If revoke article 50 or a 2nd referendum arnt in the top 3 of the options available thats voted for by MPS tonight then im going full on guy fawks (ok not literaly before anyone calls the plod haha).

But it seems no one is really dicussing these 2 options and seem they just want some sort of brexit at any cost.

Its almost like that 5.5 million petition to revoke article 50 meant nothing.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

If it goes 1 1 .do we have a 3rd ..then 4th until the mps get the result they want

"If it goes 1 1 .do we have a 3rd ..then 4th until the mps get the result they want"

No you're absolutely right. Democracy should end now, we will stick with this shit show and Brexit and just "make the most" of being poor and living in a shithole country.

"If it goes 1 1 .do we have a 3rd ..then 4th until the mps get the result they want"

Why don’t you ask that spiv JRM? He seems to be ready to fold or perhaps he has just been bought off by Tresemme?

By *iverpool LoverMan  over a year ago

liverpool

If MPS get to vote on the prime ministers deal for a 3rd time and it finally passes as politicians change their minds it will be a complete and utter shit show.

So MPS are allowed to vote multple times and change their minds but god forbid they dont want the public to have a 2nd vote.

I voted brexit and now i want to revoke article 50 after 3 years and i see what brexit is (sort of).

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

"If it goes 1 1 .do we have a 3rd ..then 4th until the mps get the result they want

No you're absolutely right. Democracy should end now, we will stick with this shit show and Brexit and just "make the most" of being poor and living in a shithole country."

dont talk utter bollocks

"If it goes 1 1 .do we have a 3rd ..then 4th until the mps get the result they want

No you're absolutely right. Democracy should end now, we will stick with this shit show and Brexit and just "make the most" of being poor and living in a shithole country.dont talk utter bollocks "

I’m making fun of people who think that having more democracy is a threat to democracy.

Also making fun of leavers in general for thinking a positive attitude will somehow lessen the impact of Brexit on the country.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

If there was a 2nd referendum, we all know remain would win. Even if it didnt really , it would . Just saying

"If there was a 2nd referendum, we all know remain would win. Even if it didnt really , it would . Just saying "

You got the best referendum money could buy the last time .

"If revoke article 50 or a 2nd referendum arnt in the top 3 of the options available thats voted for by MPS tonight then im going full on guy fawks (ok not literaly before anyone calls the plod haha).

But it seems no one is really dicussing these 2 options and seem they just want some sort of brexit at any cost.

Its almost like that 5.5 million petition to revoke article 50 meant nothing."

the petition actually does mean nothing. People can sign up multiple times and they don't have to be resident in UK or Europe. Not worth a damn in reality. Last i heard the martians and the man on the moon were remain people...

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"If revoke article 50 or a 2nd referendum arnt in the top 3 of the options available thats voted for by MPS tonight then im going full on guy fawks (ok not literaly before anyone calls the plod haha).

Its almost like that 5.5 million petition to revoke article 50 meant nothing."

there is a dame margater beckett amendment today that says "whatever otpions comes forward, the people should get a chance to vote on it".....

that is going to be the one to watch... if that gets support game on... and the brexiteers are going to freak! that is the once that will make they have to decide whether they want to support may in a MV3 vote....

their no deal brexit is basically dead.. and if the best they can do is mays deal, will they have enough people to get it thru...

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

the petition actually does mean nothing. People can sign up multiple times and they don't have to be resident in UK or Europe. Not worth a damn in reality. Last i heard the martians and the man on the moon were remain people... "

people like to rubbish that petition but a couple of things....

1) you can only vote multiple times if you have muliple different e-mail address (are you really going to take time out of your day to do that)

2) every e-mail address if sent a confirm email link before it is counted...(which stops bots)

3) yes people outside the UK can sign it, and this may come as a shock to you, because there are british citizens that live outside the uk!!! (you also need a uk postcode as origin to sign it as well)

so if i was being generous and saying let say 5% of them are fake....

5% of 5.8million still mean 5.25 million of them are genuine..... thats still a hell of a number!

"The debate about a second referendum in Scotland might give you some insight.

A) Leave or Remain

"

There is no need for such a complicated ballot paper. A second preference one would sort it easily.

the petition actually does mean nothing. People can sign up multiple times and they don't have to be resident in UK or Europe. Not worth a damn in reality. Last i heard the martians and the man on the moon were remain people...

people like to rubbish that petition but a

couple of things....

1) you can only vote multiple times if you have muliple different e-mail address (are you really going to take time out of your day to do that)

2) every e-mail address if sent a confirm email link before it is counted...(which stops bots)

3) yes people outside the UK can sign it, and this may come as a shock to you, because there are british citizens that live outside the uk!!! (you also need a uk postcode as origin to sign it as well)

5% of 5.8million still mean 5.25 million of them are genuine..... thats still a hell of a number!"

Yes i do believe people will take time out of their day to sign multiple times no matter what inconvenience might arise. We see on the news daily the hoardes of people who come to london on trains and busses in order to shout their slogans (on both sides) whilst the cameras are rolling. So sitting at laptops and smartphones registering multiple e.mail addresses is piss easy compared to the folks who take the bother to protest outside parliament 24/7. So many remainers will do their bit to further their cause if they can't make it to the live protests.

Yes there are many ex-pats all over the world signing up but my reckoning is that there are loads of others who haven't set foot in the UK or EU signing up just because they see it as the right thing to do or they just do it for shits 'n' giggles. Because as we all know....leave =evil and remain = great and good or summink.

Fyi...i didn't vote in the referendum...before you slap a label on me. I did however have a cheeky tenner on leave at the bookies at 16/1 about 3 months before the vote.

anti war . Com

West London

people like to rubbish that petition but a

couple of things....

5% of 5.8million still mean 5.25 million of them are genuine..... thats still a hell of a number!

Yes i do believe people will take time out of their day to sign multiple times no matter what inconvenience might arise. We see on the news daily the hoardes of people who come to london on trains and busses in order to shout their slogans (on both sides) whilst the cameras are rolling. So sitting at laptops and smartphones registering multiple e.mail addresses is piss easy compared to the folks who take the bother to protest outside parliament 24/7. So many remainers will do their bit to further their cause if they can't make it to the live protests.

Yes there are many ex-pats all over the world signing up but my reckoning is that there are loads of others who haven't set foot in the UK or EU signing up just because they see it as the right thing to do or they just do it for shits 'n' giggles. Because as we all know....leave =evil and remain = great and good or summink.

Fyi...i didn't vote in the referendum...before you slap a label on me. I did however have a cheeky tenner on leave at the bookies at 16/1 about 3 months before the vote.

anti war . Com "

You think then, without any data to base that on.

That's the thing with things that are apparently "common sense", or "obvious" or "intuitive". The data and statistics often prove these things not to be true.

What are your thoughts on the actual OP question?

West London

There is more than one thread on the Article 50 petition.

I'm asking for opinions or knowledge of any party including or excluding a second referendum in their manifesto.

Only the LibDems have a position and they have consistently wanted a second vote.

Just responding to a comment made by another poster who may have gone off topic.

If everyone HAD to give hard fact sources for their views and opinions then forums would be pretty blank.... i shall step aside and allow you to fix things with your huge wealth of knowledge, hard facts and water tight, no quibble ...errmm...whatever it is you say

anti war . Com

West London

"Just responding to a comment made by another poster who may have gone off topic.

If everyone HAD to give hard fact sources for their views and opinions then forums would be pretty blank.... i shall step aside and allow you to fix things with your huge wealth of knowledge, hard facts and water tight, no quibble ...errmm...whatever it is you say

anti war . Com"

I didn't ask for hard facts. Any facts or even information based on people or groups that you know or have heard of falsifying petition signing in this case.

If not then it isn't even hearsay is it?

» Add a new message to this topic