FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > General election

General election

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I really do think that the only solution to the Brexit impasse is a general election but I am pretty sure that all pro brexit politicians are poohing their pants at the thought of trying to fight one.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I think they know if they did fight one, labour will lose.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

This is not a party political issue.

There was even less clarity the last time this was tried.

Everyone except the LibDems and UKIP will try to be as ambiguous as possible on their Brexit position.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"I really do think that the only solution to the Brexit impasse is a general election but I am pretty sure that all pro brexit politicians are poohing their pants at the thought of trying to fight one. "

Sorry to say this but a GE will not solve brexit and the idea that it would is frankly insane. No GE is fought on a single issue and it is this single issue that is at risk of dividing the country, and our relations with our nearest neighbours and biggest trading partners, irreparably for 20 years plus. There is only one possible solution that may heal the brexit rift and that is a second legally binding referendum with draconian penalties for any groups or individuals who subvert or attempt to subvert the vote with lies. And to be honest I am not very hopeful that such a vote will be able to undo the damage that brexit has already done to the social cohesion never mind the economic wellbeing of the country.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The problem is that many MP's who want a 2nd referendum want the options to be Mays deal or remain - so 2 remain options then. Funny how it's only remain MP's who want a 2nd vote.

Any further referendum should give different leave options.

If you want reamin to be an option, fine, but at least give us the option of rejecting Mays deal and still leave

Otherwise you'll find a huge number of spoiled ballot papers

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"The problem is that many MP's who want a 2nd referendum want the options to be Mays deal or remain - so 2 remain options then. Funny how it's only remain MP's who want a 2nd vote.

If you want reamin to be an option, fine, but at least give us the option of rejecting Mays deal and still leave

Otherwise you'll find a huge number of spoiled ballot papers"

I would happily have a multi-option ballot paper with a STV (single transferable vote) or a multiple round ballot with the least popular option dropping out each round. The thing is it is clear that parliament cannot reach a consensus therefore it must be passed back to the electorate or we risk drifting into a fait au complet that will be totally of the Tories making.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"The problem is that many MP's who want a 2nd referendum want the options to be Mays deal or remain - so 2 remain options then. Funny how it's only remain MP's who want a 2nd vote.

Otherwise you'll find a huge number of spoiled ballot papers"

May's transition agreement is to leave. We haven't even started that phase of the negotiations yet. You realise that don't you?

It may not be your personal preference but that rather defines the "all things to all people" leave campaign.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Otherwise you'll find a huge number of spoiled ballot papers

May's transition agreement is to leave. We haven't even started that phase of the negotiations yet. You realise that don't you?

It may not be your personal preference but that rather defines the "all things to all people" leave campaign. "

Put it this way, when the EU28 becomes the EU27 then you know we've left, unless someone else beats us to it

» Add a new message to this topic