FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Leadership contest thread - number whatever

Leadership contest thread - number whatever

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So, now the candidates are starting to open up about their intentions, anyone willing to point with certainty who they think will get it.

- Initially I thought it'd be a solid run between Leadson and Johnson.

- However, Gove has thrown his hat in the ring. I feel like a lot of people might view him as a more sensible candidate.

- Rory Stewart is interesting. He is on the record for saying he can't serve under Boris and that no deal is undeliverable. Can he prompt a pro-Eu Tory backlash.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Johnson is more popular among grassroots than he is among MPs. It's quite conceivable he won't make the final shortlist of two.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I reckon boris will get it, he is a remainer as well.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

Michael Gove is my bet.

Raab, Johnson, Leadsom and others who are already stained with May’s toxic Withdrawal Agreement might struggle to explain how they let it get so far when they were in a position of influence.

Gove has kept his nose clean and has not really had any part to play in that Bill. He has also said in public what most MP’s also think - that a so called “no deal” Brexit would be catastrophic.

He is pragmatic and would probably appeal to all sides. That said, I still don’t know how he would get any more movement than Theresa May.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

After reading what Esther McVey as come out with I think she mite win now I’d of preferred Rory Stewart tho

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

Raaaaaaaab gave an awful interview on Marr this morning indulging in a blame game and promising impossible tax cuts, similarly McVey with her invisible border and duetronium phasers.

Rod Stewart and Hancock are spoilers only there to bolster the appeal of others (in return for a ministerial position in the new administration).

Hunt is the everyman with a bit of something for everyone while lacking any substance whatsoever.

Give is possibly acceptable enough to the parliamentary party to make a final 2 but I can't see the membership warming to him.

And as for LolBoris unless he has the opportunity to split his trousers and reveal union jack shorts like a Carry On film throwback he won't even get put to the membership to start with.

Kent

"After reading what Esther McVey as come out with I think she mite win now I’d of preferred Rory Stewart tho "

Can you imagine that shrill voice at PMQ's every week!

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Any voice is better that Boris bumbling on it’s embarrassing the shower of shit to choose from tho

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

I have had £1 bet on Graham Brady at 25/1 , As the Chair of the 1922 committee he had managed to keep himself away from the utter incompetent shambles of the Tory brexit dealings . He may be the one that Tory MPs rally round to stop Johnson reaching the final 2 .. If however Johnson reaches the final 2 , I think he will win by quite a large margin in the membership vote ,,,,, the irony being that he will win with votes of Conservative party members who probably voted for another party , ( brexit ) in the EU elections ( which probably shows that it's Farage who is actually bossing the tories

"I have had £1 bet on Graham Brady at 25/1 , As the Chair of the 1922 committee he had managed to keep himself away from the utter incompetent shambles of the Tory brexit dealings . He may be the one that Tory MPs rally round to stop Johnson reaching the final 2 .. If however Johnson reaches the final 2 , I think he will win by quite a large margin in the membership vote ,,,,, the irony being that he will win with votes of Conservative party members who probably voted for another party , ( brexit ) in the EU elections ( which probably shows that it's Farage who is actually bossing the tories "

Yeah I mean, a review into party members showed that a lot of the old members left and the new ones who joined were the refugees from UKIPs decent into madness.

"Michael Gove is my bet.

Raab, Johnson, Leadsom and others who are already stained with May’s toxic Withdrawal Agreement might struggle to explain how they let it get so far when they were in a position of influence.

Gove has kept his nose clean and has not really had any part to play in that Bill. He has also said in public what most MP’s also think - that a so called “no deal” Brexit would be catastrophic.

He is pragmatic and would probably appeal to all sides. That said, I still don’t know how he would get any more movement than Theresa May."

Agreed.

Fairly unlikely I'd ever vote Tory or for a leave candidate but I think he's probably the best bet for leavers if they actually think strategically.

Boris might break the party and see mass defects to CHUK or LibDems.

That said, as others have pointed out, will the now largely pro-brexit membership want anything other than a hardliner?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I have had £1 bet on Graham Brady at 25/1 , As the Chair of the 1922 committee he had managed to keep himself away from the utter incompetent shambles of the Tory brexit dealings . He may be the one that Tory MPs rally round to stop Johnson reaching the final 2 .. If however Johnson reaches the final 2 , I think he will win by quite a large margin in the membership vote ,,,,, the irony being that he will win with votes of Conservative party members who probably voted for another party , ( brexit ) in the EU elections ( which probably shows that it's Farage who is actually bossing the tories "

Brady could be a runner, but I still think there will be a dark horse emerging later on in the process which has been the case with them before..

Boris wants it over quickly as the longer it goes on the more gaff prone he will become and his ideas will be tested, he knows he has this one chance to strike early and try and garner what support he has within the parliamentary party..

Which allegedly is not a lot..

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

[Removed by poster at 26/05/19 14:25:34]

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

I hope it’s not Boris as he comes across as a clown.I think Michael Gove will win.One person who has yet to throw his hat in the ring is Sajid Javid still I guess there is time.

By *dam and slutCouple  over a year ago

Manchester

She had one job...lead us out of Europe. .she fucked it up and took 3 years and counting doing it..now we have the next of the elite, only interested in the ego of the job/title with huge pay, perks stepping forward for their go...

Parliment is a job club for people with huge egos, house of geriatrics next door is their community centre to retire too..

Adam

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

It doesn't really matter who the Leader is. The problem is not the singer the problem is the song.

It seems quite likely that who ever gets the job will have red lined themselves into a 'no customs union' and 'no single market' no deal BREXIT which they won't be able to deliver through this parliament anyway.

In the off chance the Conservative Party suddenly has a moment of pragmatic sanity and elects itself a leader not willing to throw the country over the 'no deal' BREXIT cliff then we're back in the Theresa May territory of trying to get a deal through Parliament that is so clearly worse than the current deal we have in the EU that neither Leavers nor Remainers will back it.

Ultimately, whether quickly by an attempt to force a 'no deal' or slowly by continuous extensions as we try to get a good BREXIT deal, all roads lead to Remain. It's just a matter of time now.

"So, now the candidates are starting to open up about their intentions, anyone willing to point with certainty who they think will get it.

- However, Gove has thrown his hat in the ring. I feel like a lot of people might view him as a more sensible candidate.

- Rory Stewart is interesting. He is on the record for saying he can't serve under Boris and that no deal is undeliverable. Can he prompt a pro-Eu Tory backlash."

I don't think anyone in the Conservatives would realistically allow Michael Gove to move forward in the leadership contest if they have any sense whatsoever as everyone remembers how he stabbed Boris in the back last time around and how he is very clearly a self serving politician.

As for this Rory bloke, I think the party will have learned from the last time that they absolutely must elect a brexiteer as leader.

Whatever tory MP's might personally feel about those who have put themselves forward, they really do need to think about the bigger picture.

They all know which if them is most popular with the wider party members and they also need to think about who would likely bring future election success - especially after what happened in 2017

Considering the rapid rise of the Brexit party, they are going to need someone who they believe can neutralise that threat as there is great concern that the strength of support for Nigel Farage's party could cost the Conservatives enough votes to allow Corbyn and Labour into government.

Personally, I think both they and Labour have massively underestimated the strength of support for the Brexit party

Kent

So now added to the list of hat tossers is Javid and Knight Industries Two Thousand, Cleverly surely can't be far behind (Chris Grayling has sent his application to the Lib Dems by mistake). Seeing as there's now to be a television debate I can't decide whether it should be based on Fifteen to One or The Weakest Link

Widnes

"So, now the candidates are starting to open up about their intentions, anyone willing to point with certainty who they think will get it.

- Rory Stewart is interesting. He is on the record for saying he can't serve under Boris and that no deal is undeliverable. Can he prompt a pro-Eu Tory backlash.

I don't think anyone in the Conservatives would realistically allow Michael Gove to move forward in the leadership contest if they have any sense whatsoever as everyone remembers how he stabbed Boris in the back last time around and how he is very clearly a self serving politician.

As for this Rory bloke, I think the party will have learned from the last time that they absolutely must elect a brexiteer as leader.

Whatever tory MP's might personally feel about those who have put themselves forward, they really do need to think about the bigger picture.

They all know which if them is most popular with the wider party members and they also need to think about who would likely bring future election success - especially after what happened in 2017

Considering the rapid rise of the Brexit party, they are going to need someone who they believe can neutralise that threat as there is great concern that the strength of support for Nigel Farage's party could cost the Conservatives enough votes to allow Corbyn and Labour into government.

Personally, I think both they and Labour have massively underestimated the strength of support for the Brexit party"

I think the mistake both the Conservatives and Labour have made is to over estimate the effect of UKIP and in the process actually feed the monster. The Conservatives are well and truly on the road to self destruction and political oblivion. It's not too late for Labour yet but, if they continue to feed the BREXIT beast, they'll meet the same fate.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

A turd for third? 3 in a row of the most useless Prime Ministers? Most of the desperate lot standing are hapless fuckwits, so there's every reason to believe the UK will be poised to get something atrocious dredged from the toxic cesspit they all fester in.

The dire levels of incompetence amongst recent government ministers has been mind boggling but electing a stinking piece of shit to the leaders role would be enough to want a one way ticket to Mars on Musks project

Bristol East

“He’s lied his way through life, he’s lied his way through politics, he’s a huckster with a degree of charm to which I am immune. As well as being mendacious he’s incompetent.”

- Chris Patten on Boris Johnson

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"So now added to the list of hat tossers is Javid and Knight Industries Two Thousand, Cleverly surely can't be far behind (Chris Grayling has sent his application to the Lib Dems by mistake). Seeing as there's now to be a television debate I can't decide whether it should be based on Fifteen to One or The Weakest Link "

How about Blankety Blank

By *wosmilersCouple  over a year ago

Heathrowish

"So now added to the list of hat tossers is Javid and Knight Industries Two Thousand, Cleverly surely can't be far behind (Chris Grayling has sent his application to the Lib Dems by mistake). Seeing as there's now to be a television debate I can't decide whether it should be based on Fifteen to One or The Weakest Link

How about Blankety Blank "

It's a knockout (dare I say Jeux Sans Frontiers?)......and who is going to play the joker?

Bristol East

"

I think the mistake both the Conservatives and Labour have made is to over estimate the effect of UKIP and in the process actually feed the monster.

"

And now we have an enormous tussle between the Conservative right and the Brexit Party for ownership of Brexit.

My Brexit is harder than your Brexit blah blah.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Rory stewart is far too sensible and talks way too much common sense to be a leader of this conservative party...... which is why he gets beaten by every other hopeful in the mock leadership matchups!!

god bless the tory faithful!!!

Widnes

"So now added to the list of hat tossers is Javid and Knight Industries Two Thousand, Cleverly surely can't be far behind (Chris Grayling has sent his application to the Lib Dems by mistake). Seeing as there's now to be a television debate I can't decide whether it should be based on Fifteen to One or The Weakest Link

How about Blankety Blank "

How about Pointless?

"Rory stewart is far too sensible and talks way too much common sense to be a leader of this conservative party...... which is why he gets beaten by every other hopeful in the mock leadership matchups!!

god bless the tory faithful!!! "

maybe he thinks he's in the lib dem leadership race...

Widnes

"Rory stewart is far too sensible and talks way too much common sense to be a leader of this conservative party...... which is why he gets beaten by every other hopeful in the mock leadership matchups!!

Definitely a man to watch but I don't think his future lies in where the Conservative party's heading.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

god bless the tory faithful!!! maybe he thinks he's in the lib dem leadership race... "

no the first person to say that.... i don't think he'd look out of place at the lib dem leadership husting...

speaking of which... I am actually going to go to one, week on saturday! (lib dem not tory... I went to the labour leadership hustings last time, it was an interesting affair! although i don't rule out going to a tory leadership hustings because i want to see how the next pm acts in the real world)

davey vs swinson.... who would you like? i think its an interesting contrast!

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"How about Blankety Blank

How about Pointless?

"

Welcome to Shitstorm and the 11 Dwarves.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

He was actually a member of the Labour Party in his teenager years. Fortunately he saw the light, and has many life skills and beliefs to be an excellent PM.

» Add a new message to this topic