FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > european election results thread...

european election results thread...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *abio OP   Man  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

thought i'd start a new thread just because there are so many different projections i find fascinating....

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

Rita Chakrabarti is no Peter Snow

Newcastle and Gateshead

france... looks like marine le pen has just shaded macron

italy.... 5 star not doing so good...

germany.... not a good night for merkle, not a good night for AFD, greens looks like they are the big winners...

Holland.... the thought of "nexit" is dead.. looks like the far right have done badly...

Greece.... Tsipras has done so badly has had now called a snap general election....

Newcastle and Gateshead

my poll for newcastle is already in.....

North East only gets 3 MEP's.. last time it was 2 labour and 1 ukip....

this time it is looking like 1 Brexit, 1 Labour and 1 Lib Dem....

Labour are going to having to make a decision or they are going to get squeezed really badly....

Kent

2 brx and 1 Lab in the NE

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

Everything I've seen so far suggests BREX and Green will do well.

I guess people really can't bear to vote Lib Dem

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

"Everything I've seen so far suggests BREX and Green will do well.

I guess people really can't bear to vote Lib Dem"

Well who in their right mind would vote for them

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

seems labour are taking a hammering in scotland and wales.

Kent

2 LIb Dems and 1 Green (200k votes ) in East of England

near ipswich

"2 LIb Dems and 1 Green (200k votes ) in East of England "
did you forget the 3 brexit?

Kent

"2 LIb Dems and 1 Green (200k votes ) in East of England did you forget the 3 brexit?"

brx +3 ukip -3 swings and roundabouts

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/may/26/european-elections-2019-results-eu-election-parliament-brexit-party-farage-tories-may-live

"Slogans such as ‘Brexit now’, ‘We need brexit’ and ‘We’ve already voted on this’ were scrawled next to Brexit, he said, but the electors neglected to vote for either Ukip or the Brexit party.

Williams had been checking the disputed ballots as part of his duties as an election agent, and also found one ballot which had ‘wank’ written in every single box apart from the Green party. The voter left a note saying ‘not wank’ for the environmentalist party which was deemed permissible."

Newbury

I guess people really can't bear to vote Lib DemWell who in their right mind would vote for them "

I dunno - they will whore themselves anywhere for a taste of power, as they proved in the coalition. This is the problem with ChangeUK too, they are utterly void of principle or integrity.

Newbury

.....Seems I was wrong about the Lib Dems. What short memories people have...

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

".....Seems I was wrong about the Lib Dems. What short memories people have..."

They got spanked nationally following their propping up of Camerons government, deservedly so but the electorate no matter how you try and spin it are going to do the same to labour and the tories..

Corbyn has been sitting on the fence too long hoping that a general election will come early which is naive and in this vote the Labour voters who want him to get behind a second referendum or to oppose brexit have had their say..

Newbury

".....Seems I was wrong about the Lib Dems. What short memories people have...

They got spanked nationally following their propping up of Camerons government, deservedly so but the electorate no matter how you try and spin it are going to do the same to labour and the tories..

Corbyn has been sitting on the fence too long hoping that a general election will come early which is naive and in this vote the Labour voters who want him to get behind a second referendum or to oppose brexit have had their say.. "

But also the weight of support for the BREXIT party confirms that it would have been madness for Labour to adopt a pro-remain position.

Kent

Blimey nip for a quick slash and when I get back the BBC panel has been replaced by the Jeremy Kyle show

near ipswich

"Blimey nip for a quick slash and when I get back the BBC panel has been replaced by the Jeremy Kyle show "
bet thornburry was glad to get off.

Kent

Heidi Allen with all the conviction of Lesley Whittle saying she isn't being mis-treated by her kid napper.

That returning officer's Welsh reminds me of my O level French

Kent

Yorkshire brx +3 ukip -3, hardly making inroads.

Kent

Madjit Madjit for PM!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Brexit wiping the floor with other parties across the country (admitedly except for London and Scotland - though still doing well there).

In some areas getting more than double the number of votes of second place party

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

Not everyone is stuck in the past. Holding on to old grudges does no one any good.

London

" BREXIT party confirms that it would have been madness for Labour to adopt a pro-remain position. "

It really doesn't confirm that, at all.

Labour votes will have gone to Lib Dems/Greens/Change just as much, if not more, as to the Brexit party.

Kent

Carl Benjamin wearing jeans and jacket

Ann Widdecombe elected

Can't decide who's the bigger asshole

Newbury

" BREXIT party confirms that it would have been madness for Labour to adopt a pro-remain position.

Labour votes will have gone to Lib Dems/Greens/Change just as much, if not more, as to the Brexit party.

"

Of course it does - if you are watching the massive gains by BREXIT and the slight gains by Lib Dems/Green whilst bearing in mind that 70% of Labour constituencies voted leave.....

Kent

Francois Kinnock Swinson

THE 8TH CIRCLE OF HELL

By *losguygl3Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

As feared, the remain votes were split which has lost remained seats

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think the Greens will do really well and deserve to but I am biased. Hoping for 1 green in the west midlands, possibly east too. Labour possibly not that different nationally from Greens? The awful Brexit party sadly doing too well and harming the UK to come

Worth a watch if anyone is interested

https://youtu.be/_HDFegpX5gI

A Stephen fry piece

London

" BREXIT party confirms that it would have been madness for Labour to adopt a pro-remain position.

Of course it does - if you are watching the massive gains by BREXIT and the slight gains by Lib Dems/Green whilst bearing in mind that 70% of Labour constituencies voted leave....."

That's completely silly, but then as I recall you're a Lexiter, the most naive and foolish take in the whole Brexit debate.

Brexit Party is, as I write, on 31.5%

UKIP is down by 24.2%

Tories are down 15%

That's where the Brexit vote has mainly come from.

Newbury

Of course it does - if you are watching the massive gains by BREXIT and the slight gains by Lib Dems/Green whilst bearing in mind that 70% of Labour constituencies voted leave.....

That's completely silly, but then as I recall you're a Lexiter, the most naive and foolish take in the whole Brexit debate.

UKIP is down by 24.2%

Tories are down 15%

"

Try posing an actual argument as opposed to insults perhaps?

Labour, the party of the working class is hemorrhaging working class votes to BREXIT.

"As feared, the remain votes were split which has lost remained seats "

Fully agree but it had to be done. Key to all of this mess is for Lab to agree an unambiguous policy (in or out) and for the written press to give equal space to both points of view...

Newbury

UKIP is down by 24.2%

Tories are down 15%

Labour, the party of the working class is hemorrhaging working class votes to BREXIT."

For example: Labour have lost 2 million leave voters since 2017.

Kent

These Southeast of England results are gonna take a while my ballot paper was about 3 feet long

Kent

Minder, Only Fools and Horses, Brexit Party

This country loves a spiv

SNP have smashed it in Scotland.

The clock is ticking on the Union, it's nearly time.

Kent

Is Mark Francois wearing an old Elton John wig?

Kent

North West brx +3 ukip -3 same old same old

By *astledking19TV/TS  over a year ago

buckingham

Interesting stat from Adam Bolton on sky news just now.

More votes have been casted for remain parties than for brexit.....just saying.lol

Kent

Someone's let Widdecombe near the cooking sherry

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

"Interesting stat from Adam Bolton on sky news just now.

More votes have been casted for remain parties than for brexit.....just saying.lol"

Which were the remain parties?

Of course it does - if you are watching the massive gains by BREXIT and the slight gains by Lib Dems/Green whilst bearing in mind that 70% of Labour constituencies voted leave....."

I'm happy to concede that like Jon Snow I know nothing - at least regarding how these votes manifest in terms of previous voting records for individuals and local areas.

However, just scanning over the domestic scene here in the UK, and specifically in the English counties, it just looks like the support for UKIP has dissipated and gone to Brexit party (which is confusing for political parties as many will vote brexit party in the EU elections but would prefer either a labour or tory gov), but then pro remain tory/labour votes are generally drifting away on average, and where there hasn't been a big drift, you can see that people have maybe been tactically voting along damage limitation lines against the brexit party.

35% to Brexit parties (possibly hard brexiters/leavers), 35% to remain parties. Question is, are those that voted labour and tories those that want to leave with some form of deal (soft leavers) and those remainers who are happy for the democratic vote from the original referendum to be carried out. To me (mr) this looks like a firm statement that we should leave. Especially given the majority of Europe seem to have moved towards anti-Europe parties, and parties that have said they will “Destiny and destroy the eu from the inside”.

We win again, and if BREXIT is kept in limbo for much longer, our party will draw up a manifesto and get ready to repeat this in the next general elections!

Now I look forward to laughing at remoaner excuses.

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

The Brexit/ UKIP parties on one side of the argument and the Green/LibDem on the other have had quite an easy ride , you have one side saying let's stay in the EU , basically ignoring the 2016 Referendum , while on the other side you have the we voted leave so let's leave brigade ( and to hell with the consequences ) , neither side having to actually solve any problems that would arise through either outcome , , whereas both Conservative and Labour have been fully aware that they would have to deal with any potential problems , if one thing that has been shown by the UK 2019 EU results is how idiotic it was to call a referendum on an issue with so many complex issues with just a yes/no decision to be made ,, I would call it inept incompetence on behalf of the government to do so , especially with absolutely no plan for the eventual result ,,,, although to be fair , if the Tory plan was to get rid of UKIP that does appear to have happened

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

UKIP is down by 24.2%

Tories are down 15%

Labour, the party of the working class is hemorrhaging working class votes to BREXIT."

No it really isnt

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

"We win again, and if BREXIT is kept in limbo for much longer, our party will draw up a manifesto and get ready to repeat this in the next general elections!

Now I look forward to laughing at remoaner excuses. "

I dont think it has changed anything tbh. Just under a third of votes were cast for Hard Brexit...that's not a mandate for No deal. We are just as evenly split now as we were in 2016

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Empty victory for the Brexit party.

Based on vote share, remain combined beat them By 7% So clearly this is no resounding victory for the brexit party.

They could have done a killer blow at these elections and put the brexit cause to bed once and for all but they couldn’t.

You may argue that these are all lies, but the facts speak for themselves.

We are more informed about what brexit will do our country, and people are making informed decisions

Sure europe is not perfect. But its better than the chaos the anti-european project parties would inflict upon us.

"We win again, and if BREXIT is kept in limbo for much longer, our party will draw up a manifesto and get ready to repeat this in the next general elections!

We win again?? What have you won? Again??

More votes have been casted for remain parties than for brexit.....just saying.lol

Which were the remain parties?"

Lib Dem’s, green, SNP

By *verysmileMan  over a year ago

CANTERBURY

[Removed by poster at 27/05/19 05:02:42]

By *verysmileMan  over a year ago

CANTERBURY

Regardless of the result, one thing to consider.

People will interpret the result as an endorsement for something that they believe in or an indictment of something they oppose without a firm mandate to do so.....nor will mindsets change from these results.

In fact, it's already sounding like "my dad is bigger than yours".

By *rMrsWestMidsCouple  over a year ago

Dudley

The excuses are coming thick and fast!

The excuses are coming thick and fast! "

What excuses? Can you tell me what the results in the EU elections have proved??

Dudley

What excuses? Can you tell me what the results in the EU elections have proved?? "

That all leave voters haven't died since the referendum and remainers are even more deluded than thought!

What excuses? Can you tell me what the results in the EU elections have proved??

That all leave voters haven't died since the referendum and remainers are even more deluded than thought! "

Brilliant, it is true that all leave voters haven’t died can you clarify the ‘remainders are even more deluded than though ‘ comment??

The excuses are coming thick and fast! "

And they were soooo predictable lol

Newbury

UKIP is down by 24.2%

Tories are down 15%

Labour, the party of the working class is hemorrhaging working class votes to BREXIT.

No it really isnt"

So those 2 million leave voters its lost since 2017 don't count?

What excuses? Can you tell me what the results in the EU elections have proved?? "

It proved a lot of things, but mainly that BREXIT supporters are willing to put aside our differences and unite in order to defend the referendum we won.

Now we have a six week old political organisation, that hasn’t even drawn up a policy sheet let alone a manifesto, securing a resounding victory in the EU elections:

Going forward, I am certain that the policies will be published along with a proper manifesto, well in time for the next general election. That with trust in the Tories so low, and the remain side so divided, there will be a number of new UK members of Parliament carrying the BREXIT Party whip.

After the start we have had, the sky is the limit.

Happy days!

Dudley

And they were soooo predictable lol"

Indeed!

It proved a lot of things, but mainly that BREXIT supporters are willing to put aside our differences and unite in order to defend the referendum we won.

Now we have a six week old political organisation, that hasn’t even drawn up a policy sheet let alone a manifesto, securing a resounding victory in the EU elections:

Going forward, I am certain that the policies will be published along with a proper manifesto, well in time for the next general election. That with trust in the Tories so low, and the remain side so divided, there will be a number of new UK members of Parliament carrying the BREXIT Party whip.

Happy days!"

People cheering on the UKs race to the bottom is always amusing.

The last time the far right came to power in Europe it didn’t end well. Some people need to reread the history books.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Lib Dem’s, green, SNP "

Anti-Brexit vote - 40.4 %

Pro-Brexit vote - 34.9 %

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

I hope that the South is now "getting" the anger felt here in the Midlands and North now!

By *ave 42Man  over a year ago

pontefract

Lib Dem’s, green, SNP

Pro-Brexit vote - 34.9 %

"

Do you honestly think the same amount of people who voted Lib Dem’s or Green would vote for them in a GE

Highly unlikely after the Lib Dem’s were part of the coalition government that helped bring in the austerity measures

And the Greens well do I need to say anymore

Bristol East

No idea.

I just borrowed the stat from the BBC website.

By far the largest share of the vote went to . . . those who did not vote.

70 per cent of the population, for whatever reason, boycotted this election.

It's not sensible to transpose voting intentions at a General Election from a single-issue election like this, on such a low turnout.

Bristol East

Not least because the voting system at a GE is very different from the Euros.

Most votes at a GE are discarded when it comes to the make-up of the UK Parliament, whereas every vote in the Euros is counted in the final result.

"I hope that the South is now "getting" the anger felt here in the Midlands and North now!"

People are angry here as well, and we voted accordingly. Thankfully the whole South East region are not as liberal as Brighton & Hove.

Grantham

The Peterborough by election will now be interesting.

The Remain parties, despite all their bluster, are fielding individual candidates, splitting their vote.

Brexit Party could well pinch a seat here.

"I hope that the South is now "getting" the anger felt here in the Midlands and North now!

People are angry here as well, and we voted accordingly. Thankfully the whole South East region are not as liberal as Brighton & Hove. "

People are angry everywhere. Which side of anger were you referring to?

I don’t know why brexiteers are angry. You were told before the referendum that it would be a very lengthy and complex process to detach from the EU. When this proved to be true, people seemed angry.

Same with the other aspects. We knew it would cost billions, we knew there would be no benefits. So why the anger? You’re getting what you want exactly how it was described to you.

Grantham

"The Peterborough by election will now be interesting.

The Remain parties, despite all their bluster, are fielding individual candidates, splitting their vote.

Brexit Party could well pinch a seat here. "

In fact, the Brexit candidate has come in to 4/11 favourite this morning. Labour 2/1.

The bookies are rarely wrong.

Happy days!

The last time the far right came to power in Europe it didn’t end well. Some people need to reread the history books.

"

History is very one sided, and is always written by winners of whatever war or conflict had has happened. Liberals Tories and lefties have had it all their own way for too long, now it is time for a more nationalistic outlook.

We will always be Europeans, just not EU members, and we will retrieve our own national identity, by hook or by crook.

Bristol East

Good to see Stephen Yaxley-Lennon got a drubbing - lost his deposit and didn't even stay for the result to be announced.

Some good news.

"Good to see Stephen Yaxley-Lennon got a drubbing - lost his deposit and didn't even stay for the result to be announced.

Some good news.

"

Nobody really likes him, on either side of the debate. In short he is a loudmouth twat who drags everyone down to his own gutter level.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Europe is on the move to the Right. There is a slow but inexorable change coming.

Listen to the people before it’s too late.

in Lancashire

Your 'we' is simply that ukip is now brexit which was inevitable and predictable given where we are now..

Like ukip in the post 20016 referendum, brexit has no workable plan that will get through Parliament as no deal does not have the support..

The issue for the Tory party is to now choose a leader who can prevent their party being destroyed at the next GE by the brexit party by getting brexit done soonest in a way that doesn't lose them many more MPs..

In many ways nothing has changed overnight,the country is still split..

in Lancashire

"Good to see Stephen Yaxley-Lennon got a drubbing - lost his deposit and didn't even stay for the result to be announced.

Some good news.

Nobody really likes him, on either side of the debate. In short he is a loudmouth twat who drags everyone down to his own gutter level."

Agreed..

Why any party might think they will be taken seriously in having the like of him and his vile agenda is a worrying sign..

Happy days!

History is very one sided, and is always written by winners of whatever war or conflict had has happened. Liberals Tories and lefties have had it all their own way for too long, now it is time for a more nationalistic outlook.

We will always be Europeans, just not EU members, and we will retrieve our own national identity, by hook or by crook."

We’re generally saying the same thing, about history and about what’s going on now.

Only difference is that I am saying Hitler was bad. And the current resurgence of the far right across Europe, is also bad.

North Bucks

Hopefully Yaxley Lennon and his weird Friend Sargon what’s his face can now crawl back under their respective rocks.

They will struggle to stay relevant now.

At least Leavers can unite with one major party, sadly same couldn't be said for parties that support remain but ahh well, Farage still knows how to play to his base, shout-out to Scotland, it'll be good to see them go indie.

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

In her resignation letter , before saying she wanted to be Tory leader , Andrea Leadsom said ,,, " A second referendum would be dangerously divisive " ,,,,, she failed to mention how dangerously divisive the 2016 vote was ,,,, and I hope she and her fellow tories realise how dangerously divisive these results are ,,,,

"At least Leavers can unite with one major party, sadly same couldn't be said for parties that support remain but ahh well, Farage still knows how to play to his base, shout-out to Scotland, it'll be good to see them go indie."

Its only because they've United on one single issue. The Lib Dems tried to be the single issue remain party, and seem to have attracted more voters. But greens and other regional remain leaning parties have other issues going on and have loyal followers.

I had no idea that Tory voting leavers were so disillusioned with the party. It would appear that many defected to the Brexit party.

"Williams had been checking the disputed ballots as part of his duties as an election agent, and also found one ballot which had ‘wank’ written in every single box apart from the Green party. The voter left a note saying ‘not wank’ for the environmentalist party which was deemed permissible." "

I feel a new way of voting coming on.......

On the assumption a ukip voter would only swing to Brexit party, TBP have only gained less than 7.4% from other sources. That's less than the swing as greens and change UK (7.6%)

As a set of results I think it shows the country is still split. And that is all. No one can really claim a Brexit victory.

"Europe is on the move to the Right. There is a slow but inexorable change coming.

Listen to the people before it’s too late. "

There was no far right surge but there was a green surge across the EU and we should listen to these people because climate change is a real threat to humanity .

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Pro-Brexit vote - 34.9 %

Do you honestly think the same amount of people who voted Lib Dem’s or Green would vote for them in a GE

Highly unlikely after the Lib Dem’s were part of the coalition government that helped bring in the austerity measures

And the Greens well do I need to say anymore "

but the one thing we do know is that that 40% is very unlikely to move towards the conservatives with a much harder line brexiteer PM, and the problem for the tories is they are going to have to move right towards farage.....

I think we are headed for a GE... and the 3 parties in the middle (greens, change uk and lib dem) have to come up with something where they are not fighting each other, some sort of centre left coalition ticket and pick 1/3 of the seats each...... stick heidi allen/caroline lucas as your front people...

see if you can keep your own and pick off moderate tories/labour....

near ipswich

"

Pro-Brexit vote - 34.9 %

but the one thing we do know is that that 40% is very unlikely to move towards the conservatives with a much harder line brexiteer PM, and the problem for the tories is they are going to have to move right towards farage.....

I think we are headed for a GE... and the 3 parties in the middle (greens, change uk and lib dem) have to come up with something where they are not fighting each other, some sort of centre left coalition ticket and pick 1/3 of the seats each...... stick heidi allen/caroline lucas as your front people...

see if you can keep your own and pick off moderate tories/labour...."

seems labour will be on a remain ticket now too that will split the vote even further.

North Bucks

"Europe is on the move to the Right. There is a slow but inexorable change coming.

There was no far right surge but there was a green surge across the EU and we should listen to these people because climate change is a real threat to humanity . "

But there were slow creeping gains.

I could get behind the Greens but my heritage tells me to be wary of what’s happening.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

seems labour will be on a remain ticket now too that will split the vote even further."

actually the answer to that is "not really"

there are not many places that are actually "3 way marginals"..... in that you have two main parties fighting another... (off the top of my head... one in bristol, one in brighton)..... other than that they tend to be two affairs... be that labour fighting tory, or tory fighting lib dem.....

there are a few places where labour fight lib dem... which is why the london results will give labour a shock...

salisbury

Lib Dem’s, green, SNP "

Can you really count snp as a remain party when it isn't a national party? I voted remain, but i couldn't vote snp.

salisbury

"

Pro-Brexit vote - 34.9 %

"

Unlikely to get politicians to step down to make way for others. Better to be a big fish in a small pond etc..

Y'know what, I'd actually be willing to call that bluff if I were in power.

I'd love to see the brexit parties costed and fleshed out manifesto.

Fooking UKIP actually has one, and they're being led by internet trolls effectively.

Lib Dem’s, green, SNP

Can you really count snp as a remain party when it isn't a national party? I voted remain, but i couldn't vote snp."

Outside of TBP all parties have a range of policies on things other than Brexit. I wonder how many leave nationalists voted SNP or whethwe they'd feel they had to vote for a leave party.

"

Pro-Brexit vote - 34.9 %

see if you can keep your own and pick off moderate tories/labour....seems labour will be on a remain ticket now too that will split the vote even further."

Doesn't really matter in the context of the EU elections. It's a PR system, so what really counts is how many people you're on a similar wave length with.

salisbury

Lib Dem’s, green, SNP

Can you really count snp as a remain party when it isn't a national party? I voted remain, but i couldn't vote snp.

Outside of TBP all parties have a range of policies on things other than Brexit. I wonder how many leave nationalists voted SNP or whethwe they'd feel they had to vote for a leave party. "

I think most SNP voters would vote for them no matter what their policies are. It's what nationalists do. But it strikes me that there must be more chance of a split from an independent uk than one that is a member of the EU.

SNP are pro-EU, the reason they're winning votes is because Scotland has accepted England wants a Hard Brexit and is using that to their advantage. It's a brilliant tactic.

Also, it makes huge economic sense for Scotland to be in the EU. More than that, I feel a great sense of distrust of Westminster when I’m there- the aftermath of the Indy result left many people highly disenfranchised and that feeling is coming to the fore again, hence the heightened possibility of Scotland becoming independent.

salisbury

"SNP are pro-EU, the reason they're winning votes is because Scotland has accepted England wants a Hard Brexit and is using that to their advantage. It's a brilliant tactic."

They'd have to be pro EU, if they ever got independence from the UK, the EU would be keeping them out of the gutter.

[Removed by poster at 27/05/19 12:06:08]

That’s the kind of ignorant attitude that fuels Independence

salisbury

"That’s the kind of ignorant attitude that fuels Independence "

What am i ignorant of this time? Please educate me.

Lib Dem’s, green, SNP

Can you really count snp as a remain party when it isn't a national party? I voted remain, but i couldn't vote snp."

I think the vast majority of people who voted SNP are pro remain, could be wrong though

Happy days!"

Haha, that has made me laugh. If we leave the EU the Brexit party ceases to exist, when there is a GE the brexit party , like UKIP, will struggle to get any MPs, the only way it becomes relevant is if we don’t leave the EU.

"Empty victory for the Brexit party.

Based on vote share, remain combined beat them By 7% So clearly this is no resounding victory for the brexit party.

They could have done a killer blow at these elections and put the brexit cause to bed once and for all but they couldn’t.

You may argue that these are all lies, but the facts speak for themselves.

We are more informed about what brexit will do our country, and people are making informed decisions

Sure europe is not perfect. But its better than the chaos the anti-european project parties would inflict upon us.

"

Deluded... If you look at the map of the UK the majority is blue, for a party that's only been around 6 weeks and came first in most regions, it certainly wasn't a blow.

Anti EU campaigners could be as delusional as you and say well 63% of people didn't vote because we should have left by now and the public are boycotting the vote in support of Brexit.

Would you be having this delusional argument if remain would of won in 2016 by a million votes? ... Or would you be using the analogy of stop throwing your toys out of your pram, the results are the results.

salisbury

Lib Dem’s, green, SNP

I think the vast majority of people who voted SNP are pro remain, could be wrong though "

I think they'd vote snp no matter what.

I think it is time for both labour and conservatives to go off and lick their wounds. Watching the commentary last night and they are still too busy arguing rather than listening to the people that go out and vote x

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

Corbyn said he'd offer the Scottish Independence vote again so I see no reason why they wouldn't form a coalition with the SNP. They want a general election so as Thornbury suggested; offering themselves as a remain party would bring the Libs/Greens and a few Independents on board and get Labour across the line.

By *ave 42Man  over a year ago

pontefract

[Removed by poster at 27/05/19 14:50:00]

[Removed by poster at 27/05/19 15:08:51]

Remain won by a majority and leave lost, the message us clear now what te people want

"Remain won by a majority and leave lost, the message us clear now what te people want "

Thats completely false. The fact is that if you add up Brexit party/UKip with the Conservative and Labour vote (who have manifeto commitment to deliver Brexit) then there is a big majority for leaving the EU.

"At least Leavers can unite with one major party, sadly same couldn't be said for parties that support remain but ahh well, Farage still knows how to play to his base, shout-out to Scotland, it'll be good to see them go indie."

I hope they do, and all remoaners go live there. Then we can rebuild Hadrians Wall and put lots of razor wire on it and armed guards on our side. Fucking backstop? No chance!

Bristol East

The biggest majority in this election by far is the non-vote. The result changes nothing.

Lib Dem’s, green, SNP

I think the vast majority of people who voted SNP are pro remain, could be wrong though

I think they'd vote snp no matter what. "

There are many SNP voters who voted to Leave the EU in the referendum in 2016. Indeed one of the SNP's former deputy leaders, Jim Sillars campaigned for leave during the EU referendum campaign in 2016.

Another interesting stat is more people voted to Leave the EU in Scotland than voted for the SNP in the 2017 general election.

"SNP are pro-EU, the reason they're winning votes is because Scotland has accepted England wants a Hard Brexit and is using that to their advantage. It's a brilliant tactic."

Its not as simple as you try to make out. Many SNP voters voted to Leave the EU in 2016, like the former SNP deputy leader Jim Sillars who campaigned for Brexit on the Leave side.

There was no far right surge but there was a green surge across the EU and we should listen to these people because climate change is a real threat to humanity . "

There were gains for nationalist/Populist parties all over Europe last night, Marine Le Pen beat Macron in France, Salvini won in Italy, Farage and the Brexit party won in the UK, Victor Orban had a big victory in Hungary, there were also gains for the AfD in Germany, and the nationalist Populist movement did well in places like Finland, Slovakia, Czech Republic and Poland. The left wing ruling party in Greece also lost which has lead to the Greek Prime minister calling a snap general election there.

So, moving on....we know pretty much who got in where...what will be difference to our daily lives? What will be the effect/s the new MEPs will make the European Parliament ? Will it even function ?

By *wosmilersCouple  over a year ago

Heathrowish

The best analysis on the results is from Doreen Tipton.....find her on the intetweb, it's a scream.

"SNP are pro-EU, the reason they're winning votes is because Scotland has accepted England wants a Hard Brexit and is using that to their advantage. It's a brilliant tactic.

Its not as simple as you try to make out. Many SNP voters voted to Leave the EU in 2016, like the former SNP deputy leader Jim Sillars who campaigned for Brexit on the Leave side. "

In the brexit referendum the majority in scotland voted to remain by 62% that is the perfect ratio 60/20.

Bristol East

"SNP are pro-EU, the reason they're winning votes is because Scotland has accepted England wants a Hard Brexit and is using that to their advantage. It's a brilliant tactic.

Its not as simple as you try to make out. Many SNP voters voted to Leave the EU in 2016, like the former SNP deputy leader Jim Sillars who campaigned for Brexit on the Leave side. "

About a third of SNP voters want Scotland to sit outside the UK and the EU. On both issues, they are in a minority. At present.

Its not as simple as you try to make out. Many SNP voters voted to Leave the EU in 2016, like the former SNP deputy leader Jim Sillars who campaigned for Brexit on the Leave side. In the brexit referendum the majority in scotland voted to remain by 62% that is the perfect ratio 60/20."

More people voted to Leave the EU in the referendum of 2016, than voted for the SNP in the 2017 general election.

Newcastle and Gateshead

Lib Dem’s, green, SNP

There are many SNP voters who voted to Leave the EU in the referendum in 2016. Indeed one of the SNP's former deputy leaders, Jim Sillars campaigned for leave during the EU referendum campaign in 2016.

Another interesting stat is more people voted to Leave the EU in Scotland than voted for the SNP in the 2017 general election. "

I knew you finally give it away.... Welcome back CENTY!!!!!!!!!!

so..... why the new name Hombre........

salisbury

Lib Dem’s, green, SNP

Another interesting stat is more people voted to Leave the EU in Scotland than voted for the SNP in the 2017 general election. "

Oh there you go then, you can't count a vote for the snp as a vote to remain.

salisbury

"Remain won by a majority and leave lost, the message us clear now what te people want "

you should be a politician! Fantastic! I bet you think liverpool won the league as well!!

Newcastle and Gateshead

Lib Dem’s, green, SNP

Another interesting stat is more people voted to Leave the EU in Scotland than voted for the SNP in the 2017 general election.

Oh there you go then, you can't count a vote for the snp as a vote to remain. "

but what "centy" didn't tell you is that jim sellars is very much an outlier in his party.......

and sense offical SNP policy is they are remain and firmly "2nd referendum" and since scotland voted 62-38 remain, I think to make the assumption is fair...

near ipswich

Love the way you try to spin things always gives me a good laugh are you Alistair campbell by any chance?

in Lancashire

Lib Dem’s, green, SNP

so..... why the new name Hombre........"

Kin knew it was him..

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

Total % vote share:

Brexit gain +31.6%

UKIP loss -24.2%

That means that the total increase in the hard leave vote was 7.4%

Conservative loss -14.85%

Labour loss -11.3%

That means the majority of Conservative and Labour deserters voted for remain parties (LibDem, Green, Change UK, SNP, Plaid Cymru) not leave.

+7.4% Leave

+18.75 Remain

Someone can do some other maths if they like

As has been stated already, turnout was only 36.9% despite all of the chaos over the last three years. This implies that most of the country just does not care.

It can be argued that there is a stronger voice for "no deal" but that is 32% of 37% which is about 12% of those eligible to vote, so not that strong.

(ignoring turn out differences*)

52% of voters said they wanted to leave in 2016

C 3f% of voters sided with the no deal Brexit party/ukip

That's a big chunk of people who voted leave which then didn't vote Brexit.

In fact you have to believe almost all tory and Labour voters are leave voters to get the maths to square.

* of course turnout is important here. These elections really just show the split of the more hardcore polictal types. Not the feeling of the all important matbinal voters who don't have a stall firmly set out in one camp of the other. All interpretatuon of eu results are weak for this very reason.

Leave wins. Simple as that

"More people voted to Leave the EU in the referendum of 2016, than voted for the SNP in the 2017 general election. "

And your point, caller,, given there are 10x as many voter in the rest of the UK?

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

It's not a tactic. It's common sense. Many of us who want independence just want to live in an actual democracy, not an excuse for one. That and not having to be governed by those who are happy to pander to those who think the Tories aren't right wing enough.

West London

"Leave wins. Simple as that "

Wins what?

Wins based on what measure?

Oh wait, just say something simple loudly and repeatedly like "Brexit means Brexit", "Leave means Leave", "Get over it" and it will be so

Bless

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

I guess people really can't bear to vote Lib DemWell who in their right mind would vote for them "

Me and nearly 20% of those that voted it would seem.

I guess people really can't bear to vote Lib DemWell who in their right mind would vote for them

Me and nearly 20% of those that voted it would seem.

"

I still can't believe that a small minority voted for labour and conservatives x

West London

The last Labour government took us into a war in Iraq and had solved boom and bust before the global financial crisis.

The current Conservative government has turned the screw on every public service and presided over three years of chaos.

Short memories?

West London

Especially for you:

Total % vote share:

Brexit gain +31.6%

UKIP loss -24.2%

That means that the total increase in the hard leave vote was 7.4%

Conservative loss -14.85%

Labour loss -11.3%

That means the majority of Conservative and Labour deserters voted for remain parties (LibDem, Green, Change UK, SNP, Plaid Cymru) not leave.

+7.4% Leave

+18.75% Remain

Lib Dem’s, green, SNP

Kin knew it was him.. "

Yep just as we suspected....second division is back on the orange box again

in Lancashire

Lib Dem’s, green, SNP

Kin knew it was him..

Yep just as we suspected....second division is back on the orange box again "

Funny enough when I remarked last week that there were some very strong similarities he just replied 'who the fuck is centy'..

Methinks porkies have been told..

Lib Dem’s, green, SNP

Kin knew it was him..

Yep just as we suspected....second division is back on the orange box again

Funny enough when I remarked last week that there were some very strong similarities he just replied 'who the fuck is centy'..

Methinks porkies have been told.. "

But....but....but....in fantasy island everything the centaurs say is forthright honest and true....isnt it?

"Leave wins. Simple as that

Wins what?

Oh wait, just say something simple loudly and repeatedly like "Brexit means Brexit", "Leave means Leave", "Get over it" and it will be so

Bless "

To answer your questions....

Wins what?

The European elections as Brexit party come in 1st place

Leave wins on every measure.

Leave wins the highest number of MEP seats.

On individual parties vote share the Brexit party came in first place on 32%.

On overall vote share Parties wanting to deliver Brexit or have manifesto commitments to deliver Brexit (Brexit party/Ukip/Conservative/Labour) win biggest share.

On council wards or constituency level Leave also won the most areas.

On just about every way you look at these elections Leave beat remain.

You don't seem to like the word simple, but it really is that simple. Democracy has spoken again, so suck it up and accept the result, or do you want this election re-run again because the result didn't go your way (yet again).

Wins what?

Bless "

If you were to add up the votes of all of the parties that firmly back Remain (the Liberal Democrats, Change UK, the Greens and Plaid Cymru) you would get 38%.

The total of the no-deal supporting parties (Brexit Party and UKIP) is 37%.

Now add the Conservatives to the leave supporting side and you'll see that Leave wins slightly.

Labour are neither a leave or remain party at this moment in time they're just opportunistic parasites.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"

Pro-Brexit vote - 34.9 %

see if you can keep your own and pick off moderate tories/labour...."

I can see a long term packed between LibDems and ChangeUK but, while there maybe a case, I don't see a packed between them and the Greens lasting long term.

"Remain won by a majority and leave lost, the message us clear now what te people want Love the way you try to spin things always gives me a good laugh are you Alistair campbell by any chance? "

LOL, had to have a good laugh at Piers Morgan's tweet this morning ripping the piss out of Alistair Campbell.

The tweet said, If you add up the tally of points Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham got then London won the Premier league.

By *losguygl3Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

Just heard an interesting stat on the C4 news, total remain vote 9m and 6m for the leavers. There were about 6m on the Revoke petition a few months back wasn't there?

Wins what?

Bless

If you were to add up the votes of all of the parties that firmly back Remain (the Liberal Democrats, Change UK, the Greens and Plaid Cymru) you would get 38%.

Now add the Conservatives to the leave supporting side and you'll see that Leave wins slightly.

Labour are neither a leave or remain party at this moment in time they're just opportunistic parasites.

"

Labour have it in their party manifesto to deliver Brexit.

Wins what?

Bless

"

Now wheres that flying pink elephant again? The bottom line here is that the turnout was lower than in Europe, although higher than the norm here, and apart from a rebranding of one party there has been no real shift in the position of the electorate in either direction and you cannot extrapolate a GE result from this one. If anything a six week old political party with no manifesto or policies should be regarded as opportunistic parasites!

in Lancashire

Wins what?

Bless

Now wheres that flying pink elephant again? The bottom line here is that the turnout was lower than in Europe, although higher than the norm here, and apart from a rebranding of one party there has been no real shift in the position of the electorate in either direction and you cannot extrapolate a GE result from this one. If anything a six week old political party with no manifesto or policies should be regarded as opportunistic parasites! "

Parasitical farage feeding off banks feeding off Vladimir..

Wins what?

Bless

Now wheres that flying pink elephant again? The bottom line here is that the turnout was lower than in Europe, although higher than the norm here, and apart from a rebranding of one party there has been no real shift in the position of the electorate in either direction and you cannot extrapolate a GE result from this one. If anything a six week old political party with no manifesto or policies should be regarded as opportunistic parasites! "

Yawn...I'll concede that I don't like Farage because he's an egotistical prick but let's not pretend that If Farage hadn't left UKIP that those that voted for the Brexit Party wouldn't of voted for UKIP. They voted for Brexit and Farage. Farage is the familiar face of Brexit.

The numbers don't lie White Knight. Also I only mention Labour as opportunistic parasites because they had in their manifesto as another user has pointed out that they'll deliver Brexit. It's only because Corbyn will do anything to keep hold of his position that he's now pandering to remain MPs in his own party.

Wins what?

Bless

Now wheres that flying pink elephant again? The bottom line here is that the turnout was lower than in Europe, although higher than the norm here, and apart from a rebranding of one party there has been no real shift in the position of the electorate in either direction and you cannot extrapolate a GE result from this one. If anything a six week old political party with no manifesto or policies should be regarded as opportunistic parasites!

Yawn...I'll concede that I don't like Farage because he's an egotistical prick but let's not pretend that If Farage hadn't left UKIP that those that voted for the Brexit Party wouldn't of voted for UKIP. They voted for Brexit and Farage. Farage is the familiar face of Brexit.

The numbers don't lie White Knight. Also I only mention Labour as opportunistic parasites because they had in their manifesto as another user has pointed out that they'll deliver Brexit. It's only because Corbyn will do anything to keep hold of his position that he's now pandering to remain MPs in his own party. "

Actually my point was exactly that. Farages new BP took the UKIP voters

With him and UKIP fell off the grid but apart from disaffected tories joining the BP vote the overall balance didn't change. As your assessment of Corbyn could be aimed at any political party leader you’re not saying anything new or interesting.

West London

Wins what?

Bless

Wins what?

On overall vote share Parties wanting to deliver Brexit or have manifesto commitments to deliver Brexit (Brexit party/Ukip/Conservative/Labour) win biggest share.

You don't seem to like the word simple, but it really is that simple. Democracy has spoken again, so suck it up and accept the result, or do you want this election re-run again because the result didn't go your way (yet again).

"

The Brexit party certainly won, but Leave certainly did not.

Not on a 36% turnout.

How is an anti-EU party getting more MEPs than any other single party winning?

They believe that the European Parliament has any power because the EU is undemocratic so they have won nothing.

If the EU is democratic then they have, indeed won something worthwhile, except they don't want to be their and represent their constituents other than by not representing their interests on the EU. So they have won the wire not to exercise any power.

Labour have in no way indicated a Leave position for these elections regardless of their manifesto for the General election. The fact that they have been deliberately ambiguous is abundantly clear.

They lost more votes to remain than leave.

Nobody knows what Labour's position is, not even Labour so let's not pretend they are a Leave party.

Remain did not "win" either.

What is clear is that most people in the UK do not give a toss one way or another.

West London

Wins what?

Bless

"

When only 36% of the population voted nobody has "won" anything.

The most politically engaged on this one topic have shouted exactly the same thing that has been shouted before.

Labour are, however, being deliberately ambiguous but both they and the Conservatives lost more votes to Remain than Leave.

You can split up the Labour vote however you choose to make the win Leave or Remain.

It's an unknown.

By *igsteve43Man  over a year ago

derby

Wins what?

Bless

Wins what?

The Brexit party certainly won, but Leave certainly did not.

Not on a 36% turnout.

How is an anti-EU party getting more MEPs than any other single party winning?

They believe that the European Parliament has any power because the EU is undemocratic so they have won nothing.

If the EU is democratic then they have, indeed won something worthwhile, except they don't want to be their and represent their constituents other than by not representing their interests on the EU. So they have won the wire not to exercise any power.

Labour have in no way indicated a Leave position for these elections regardless of their manifesto for the General election. The fact that they have been deliberately ambiguous is abundantly clear.

They lost more votes to remain than leave.

Nobody knows what Labour's position is, not even Labour so let's not pretend they are a Leave party.

Remain did not "win" either.

What is clear is that most people in the UK do not give a toss one way or another."

So a poll of sat 5000 people that says people want to remain is reliable but a poll of 5 million that shows people still want to leave doesnt prove anything unbelievable

West London

Wins what?

Bless

Labour have it in their party manifesto to deliver Brexit. "

"Labour will continue to oppose the Government’s bad deal or a disastrous no deal. And if we can’t get agreement along the lines of our alternative plan, or a general election, Labour backs the option of a public vote.

If the Government is confident that it has negotiated a deal that benefits our economy and our communities then they should not be afraid to put that deal to the public."

Labour will back whatever gets them re-election. As you would expect.

36% of the population voted and remain still couldn't out do the Brexit party. Speaks volumes really.

The majority of British people want to remain in the EU?

Not by these numbers. I'm more than comfortable with a 2nd referendum after these results.

What this election has shown is possibly over half the voters have changwd their mind since the last vote. And given how much TBP has eaten the ukip vote I'm guessing people who actively campaigned for ukip last time (and probably the GE) have moved teams.

And these moves have been represented in the outcome.

Seems a good week for democracy.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

Whatever the rhetoric of the hardcore Brexiters - it appears that both Scotland and Northern Ireland have strengthened their Remain vote base.

It was suggested in 2015/2016 that Brexit would be a threat to the United Kingdom and this was dismissed as Project Fear.

It looks fairly cut and dried to me that Scotland will leave and Unionist extremists in NI will see the writing on the wall and start a campaign of resistance against the inevitable unification of the island of Ireland.

Meanwhile, English Nationalists celebrate the cementing of sweary, shouty politics as a means of projecting English greatness around the world.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Some good news.

Nobody really likes him, on either side of the debate. In short he is a loudmouth twat who drags everyone down to his own gutter level.

Agreed..

Why any party might think they will be taken seriously in having the like of him and his vile agenda is a worrying sign.. "

You on about that Robinson guy?? What is his agenda ??

durham

"36% of the population voted and remain still couldn't out do the Brexit party. Speaks volumes really.

Not by these numbers. I'm more than comfortable with a 2nd referendum after these results.

"

Well I've took a look at the results in the north east and north Yorkshire and all I see is the brexit party smashing everyone to smithereens. The lib dems come in a limp second with the rest blown out of the water. The change UK party hardly got anything. That faction won't last long. There is a huge divide between North and south in this country. Most of you seem to forget or ignore us but we do exist and we will be heard like it or not. This area, is a labour heartland but it is, also a strong believer in leave. Labour have lost people up here and will continue to do so at their peril. The people of the North have spoken. Deal with it. No 2nd Referendum, no election. Do your bloody jobs mps.

"36% of the population voted and remain still couldn't out do the Brexit party. Speaks volumes really.

"

The reason they are popular is cos they live in a fantasy world, thinking uk would be gran bretana again lol.

Bristol East

One-third of one-third is . . . um, er, a ninth?

11 per cent of the population.

Not exactly a mandate for anything.

If the press are to be believed he's the poster boy for the far right, fascist, extremist nazi uprising in britain that is growing in number day by day and are a real threat to liberal democracy spreading hate, violence islamaphobia, anti semitism. Fears are that people like robinson will bring britain back to the dark days of (insert victim group here) bashings and will probably start another concentration camp....just shows how

popular these outfits are. Did/do we really have to worry about a tiny section of knobheads siezing the levers of power? They are pretty much irrelevant to normal folks. The media do their best to 'big up' these groups though...

durham

The reason they are popular is cos they live in a fantasy world, thinking uk would be gran bretana again lol."

we could be if only this stupid type of remark were put where it belongs.... In the bin. I live in the real world. Maybe you belong in game of thrones but not me.

North West

Well I've took a look at the results in the north east and north Yorkshire and all I see is the brexit party smashing everyone to smithereens. The lib dems come in a limp second with the rest blown out of the water. The change UK party hardly got anything. That faction won't last long. There is a huge divide between North and south in this country. Most of you seem to forget or ignore us but we do exist and we will be heard like it or not. This area, is a labour heartland but it is, also a strong believer in leave. Labour have lost people up here and will continue to do so at their peril. The people of the North have spoken. Deal with it. No 2nd Referendum, no election. Do your bloody jobs mps. "

The argument made by many Brexiters is that "we" send vast amounts of money to the EU and support basket case economies.

They need to also be aware that London and the SE and most major cities send vast amounts of money to the UK treasury to support basket case regions in the Midlands, NW and NE.

The heavy Brexit supporting regions and net beneficiaries and are supported financially by mainly Remain supporting cities and regions.

The argument works both ways.

North West

The reason they are popular is cos they live in a fantasy world, thinking uk would be gran bretana again lol.we could be if only this stupid type of remark were put where it belongs.... In the bin. I live in the real world. Maybe you belong in game of thrones but not me. "

You are in denial of the realities of the world.

All countries need to align themselves with either China, the USA or the EU. These are the major trading blocs of the world. We are (currently) inside the EU and in a position of influence to shape its future policies and direction.

We will soon be out and having to decide whose bitch we intend to be without having any say whatsoever.

Great huh?

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"If the press are to be believed he's the poster boy for the far right, fascist, extremist nazi uprising in britain that is growing in number day by day and are a real threat to liberal democracy spreading hate, violence islamaphobia, anti semitism. Fears are that people like robinson will bring britain back to the dark days of (insert victim group here) bashings and will probably start another concentration camp....just shows how

popular these outfits are. Did/do we really have to worry about a tiny section of knobheads siezing the levers of power? They are pretty much irrelevant to normal folks. The media do their best to 'big up' these groups though..."

So are they like a cult then, with funny hats on ??

derby

"One-third of one-third is . . . um, er, a ninth?

"

So 5 million sign remain petition and its amandate for a 2nd referendum, but when over 6 million vote again for brexit its not a mandate please explain

Newcastle and Gateshead

So 5 million sign remain petition and its amandate for a 2nd referendum, but when over 6 million vote again for brexit its not a mandate please explain"

9.1 million people voted for parties that explicitly announce they are against a no deal brexit.........

again... you want to talk mandates...

Bristol East

So 5 million sign remain petition and its amandate for a 2nd referendum, but when over 6 million vote again for brexit its not a mandate please explain"

Your statement, not mine. I have nothing to explain.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

The reason they are popular is cos they live in a fantasy world, thinking uk would be gran bretana again lol."

Could be worse. Britain could end up like Sweden.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

& it was 6.1m signing the petition...

near ipswich

So 5 million sign remain petition and its amandate for a 2nd referendum, but when over 6 million vote again for brexit its not a mandate please explain

& it was 6.1m signing the petition..."

All you need to sign a petition is a uk email address it has no bearing on whos eligible to vote why do you keep clutching at that straw when it has no relevance whatsoever ?

By *wosmilersCouple  over a year ago

Heathrowish

Isn't the real truth this....

We voted 52/48 to leave in 2016.

Since then opinions by a minority may have changed but there is no direct evidence to show that any conclusion can be drawn about where the land lays. The divide is too small to assume any change or stability in the 2016 vote.The interpretation of results assumes that a switch in voting intentions is because of one reason only and fails to allow for a lack of confidence in a previously favoured party.

The logic of some of the arguments here points to a Brexit Party government with a LibDem opposition as some analysis purports to be an absolute truth. That is clearly rubbish.

May I also add that there is a significant minority who just want our exit finalised, whether pro or anti. Many believe that the damage caused by the uncertainty caused in not moving on is greater than any potential damage that leaving will cause.

derby

& it was 6.1m signing the petition...All you need to sign a petition is a uk email address it has no bearing on whos eligible to vote why do you keep clutching at that straw when it has no relevance whatsoever ? "

My point was you cannot say this vote is not a mandate while at the same time claiming a petition was

Bristol East

You already have a mandate to leave the EU.

We really should not even be having this discussion.

The reality, however, is the mandate has snagged in Parliament because no-one can agree what the mandate looks like.

That's down to a flaw in the process we followed in 2016.

So the question now is how we dig ourselves out of the mess and cease going round in this perpetual circle.

A referendum may not be the best answer. But if you have a better one, please do share.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

& it was 6.1m signing the petition...All you need to sign a petition is a uk email address it has no bearing on whos eligible to vote why do you keep clutching at that straw when it has no relevance whatsoever ? "

I was correcting an inaccuracy which suggested the number was lower. As you know in the EC elections all you needed was to know a name and address - even less rigour!

near ipswich

& it was 6.1m signing the petition...All you need to sign a petition is a uk email address it has no bearing on whos eligible to vote why do you keep clutching at that straw when it has no relevance whatsoever ?

I was correcting an inaccuracy which suggested the number was lower. As you know in the EC elections all you needed was to know a name and address - even less rigour! "

In the ec elections you need to be registered and eligible to vote not to just know a name and address.Much more rigorous than a petition.

"Isn't the real truth this....

We voted 52/48 to leave in 2016.

Since then opinions by a minority may have changed but there is no direct evidence to show that any conclusion can be drawn about where the land lays. The divide is too small to assume any change or stability in the 2016 vote.The interpretation of results assumes that a switch in voting intentions is because of one reason only and fails to allow for a lack of confidence in a previously favoured party.

The logic of some of the arguments here points to a Brexit Party government with a LibDem opposition as some analysis purports to be an absolute truth. That is clearly rubbish.

May I also add that there is a significant minority who just want our exit finalised, whether pro or anti. Many believe that the damage caused by the uncertainty caused in not moving on is greater than any potential damage that leaving will cause."

Both sides are trying to fund the right angle to see the EU results backing their POV.

I think the eu results can be put to one side. It's the views of the extreme rather than the ambivalent. And those are the ones that matter. The battle weary etc. (I do wonder which way they'd vote if both ways offer absolute Brexit certainty)

For me the reasin for a second vote is not because the winds have changed but because there has never been a mandate for no deal. I'd back May's deal (even tho I don't like it) because its the result of democracy. I'm v u comfortable with a no deal as being democratic as even the leave campaign did there would be a deal. And we simply don't know if everyone who voted leave did so accepting a deal deal result as well as the advertised deal.