FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > US confirms it wants NHS 'on the table' in trade talks

US confirms it wants NHS 'on the table' in trade talks

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ara J OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Woody Johnson, the US Ambassador, confirmed today in a TV interview.

We know that Farage detests the NHS and wants it replaced by private insurance.

We know, too, that he is being bankrolled by the private insurance tycoon Aaron Banks.

Now we have Trump calling for Farage to be Britain's international negotiator.

What is the policy of the Brexit Party on the NHS?

Anyone know what they voted for?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Woody Johnson, the US Ambassador, confirmed today in a TV interview.

We know, too, that he is being bankrolled by the private insurance tycoon Aaron Banks.

"

Yes BREXIT simple nothing else what is your problem,all this is irrevilent crap

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

Yes BREXIT simple nothing else what is your problem,all this is irrevilent crap"

Such a sheep, so easy to fool. Farage has never supported the privatisation of the NHS. You're right. It's all unconnected. Sheep. Sheep. Ba Ba.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Trump's got his hand so far up Farage's arse controling him like a puppet that he wants Farage in a senior roll so Trump can gain whatever he wants.

upton wirral

"Trump's got his hand so far up Farage's arse controling him like a puppet that he wants Farage in a senior roll so Trump can gain whatever he wants. "
Farage will never be part of the government all he is is BREXIT but you lot like to have conspiracy theories,get a grip

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

More project fear from the remainiac's.

London

"More project fear from the remainiac's. "

More delusion and denial from Brexit sheep.

upton wirral

"More project fear from the remainiac's.

More delusion and denial from Brexit sheep."

We are leaving anyway and your vivid sad imaginations will not make any difference

London

More delusion and denial from Brexit sheep.We are leaving anyway and your vivid sad imaginations will not make any difference"

Yes. We are leaving on March 29 remember.

upton wirral

More delusion and denial from Brexit sheep.We are leaving anyway and your vivid sad imaginations will not make any difference

Yes. We are leaving on March 29 remember. "

Yes but your tactics are causing us to leave with no deal which is not the best option but you remoaners are making sure we leave without a deal

"Trump's got his hand so far up Farage's arse controling him like a puppet that he wants Farage in a senior roll so Trump can gain whatever he wants. Farage will never be part of the government all he is is BREXIT but you lot like to have conspiracy theories,get a grip"

I hope to god Farage never gets into Government but there's way too many loons who'd vote for him to be totally sure and that's why Trump's keeping his option on Farage and promoting his opinions of him to be involved in Government regarding the Brexit negotiations.

More delusion and denial from Brexit sheep.We are leaving anyway and your vivid sad imaginations will not make any difference

Yes. We are leaving on March 29 remember. Yes but your tactics are causing us to leave with no deal which is not the best option but you remoaners are making sure we leave without a deal"

Hard line Brexit wankers are making sure we leave with no deal too if you've not been paying attention

"

Maybe time for a reality check. You are extemelly I'll informed if you think that Nigel Farage defeats the NHS. Have you actually asked him or just posted this regardless..

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

Oh let's remain and be ruled by twats .....or germans/French....the rat boy can't even run his own country but seems good at telling the UK what to do x

Maybe time for a reality check. You are extemelly I'll informed if you think that Nigel Farage defeats the NHS. Have you actually asked him or just posted this regardless.."

OK here's a reality check for you...

Farage's view on the NHS

I think we're going to have to think about healthcare very, very differently, " he said in 2012.

"I think we are going to have to move to an insurance-based system of healthcare."

He went on: "Frankly, I would feel more comfortable that my money would return value if I was able to do that through the market place of an insurance company than just us trustingly giving £100bn a year to central government and expecting them to organise the healthcare service from cradle to grave for us."

That's Farage on the NHS, all on a video interview available to see free of charge on YouTube Pat..

You're welcome

Recorded speech not interview

Yes BREXIT simple nothing else what is your problem,all this is irrevilent crap"

Seriously, please stop thinking of politicians as benevolent or non-benevolent representatives.

Start thinking of them as chess players. They are willing to sacrifice a few pieces to gain a check mate.

Please just think about who holds what pieces and what certain people will give up for their own gain.

Maybe time for a reality check. You are extemelly I'll informed if you think that Nigel Farage defeats the NHS. Have you actually asked him or just posted this regardless..

Farage's view on the NHS

I think we're going to have to think about healthcare very, very differently, " he said in 2012.

"I think we are going to have to move to an insurance-based system of healthcare."

He went on: "Frankly, I would feel more comfortable that my money would return value if I was able to do that through the market place of an insurance company than just us trustingly giving £100bn a year to central government and expecting them to organise the healthcare service from cradle to grave for us."

That's Farage on the NHS, all on a video interview available to see free of charge on YouTube Pat..

You're welcome "

Hi. I was asking what his current policy was . Comments made in an interview seven years ago are hardly a policy .

The original poster appears to assume thst they might be . He ( The O.P. ) offers no alternative to BHS funding yet criticises others..

By *avidnsa69Man  over a year ago

Essex

I don't think you've thought this through very well....

Essex

Farage's view on the NHS

You're welcome Hi. I was asking what his current policy was . Comments made in an interview seven years ago are hardly a policy .

The original poster appears to assume thst they might be . He ( The O.P. ) offers no alternative to BHS funding yet criticises others.."

You're correct. We have no idea what the Brexit Party's policy on anything is because they won't produce a manifesto. Makes one wonder what sort of people are happy to vote for a party that refuses to have any policy other than leave with no deal. Leaving with No Deal isn't the end of anything, it's the beginning of something and the Brexshit Party can't or won't tell the electorate what they want to happen. Chancers and charlatans

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's clear that the USA will not negotiate with the UK as an equal but will impose as it sees fit, upon a desperate UK. This will be similar with other trade deals that the UK might try to negotiate with others. The UK will leave the many good trade agreements that our membership of the EU has achieved, to struggle on unfavourable tariffs, ready for the vultures to flock in to the carcass.

The NHS should not be open to more conservative party dismantling, via any agreements whatsoever. The moaners not liking the realities of what leaving, especially without a deal, need to focus on the great positives that we have, including dozens of trade deals, the NHS etc.

Farage's view on the NHS

You're welcome Hi. I was asking what his current policy was . Comments made in an interview seven years ago are hardly a policy .

The original poster appears to assume thst they might be . He ( The O.P. ) offers no alternative to BHS funding yet criticises others.."

Farage does not have any policies for the UK. The Brexit Party has no manifesto. You need to have a manifesto and field MP candidates for UK election on a manifesto.

So in light of no Brexit party manifesto all we can go ON as FACTS are Farage's previous comments on the NHS which is he's in favour of scrapping the NHS and replace it with insurance policies.

I hope you are now better informed and you're welcome

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Farage's view on the NHS

The original poster appears to assume thst they might be . He ( The O.P. ) offers no alternative to BHS funding yet criticises others..

Farage does not have any policies for the UK. The Brexit Party has no manifesto. You need to have a manifesto and field MP candidates for UK election on a manifesto.

So in light of no Brexit party manifesto all we can go ON as FACTS are Farage's previous comments on the NHS which is he's in favour of scrapping the NHS and replace it with insurance policies.

I hope you are now better informed and you're welcome "

"

Good. Hope nhs does go private.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Trump's got his hand so far up Farage's arse controling him like a puppet that he wants Farage in a senior roll so Trump can gain whatever he wants. Farage will never be part of the government all he is is BREXIT but you lot like to have conspiracy theories,get a grip"

I understood that post Brexit a “great” trade deal with the USA was going to be of paramount importance?

Is the NHS going to be a part of that deal?

Bristol East

Farage's view on the NHS

What is Brexit Party policy on the NHS?

What exactly do you think is the point of Brexit? Especially from the point of view of the US funders who bankroll Farage and the other brexiteers?

Good. Hope nhs does go private."

Really? Hmmm.

By *astledking19TV/TS  over a year ago

buckingham

"

By *astledking19TV/TS  over a year ago

buckingham

Sounds like a great question for Thursday night question time.

"

North West

Must be trolling.

No-one would want a US Healthcare system over the NHS.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Hands off the NHS! Simple as, fair warning been given.

The UK will not become a vassal of the USA.

Wake up, this is the future no deal brings, UK assets stripped by greedy American Companies, all supported by UK Politicians who really don’t give two fucks if you lived or died.

This isn’t project fear, this is project wake the fuck up!

Bristol East

They should re-name it the blindfold party, because that is what you are wearing when you put an X next to their name on the ballot paper.

Must be trolling.

No-one would want a US Healthcare system over the NHS."

Nope, I’m all for the US healthcare system. I’m already private, get a better quality of care, no waiting lists, everything you could ask for is provided. Doctors and nurses that work in private get a fairer wage for services they provide.

I also think there should be a option that people like myself can opt out paying for the nhs, if we don’t use it, why should we pay for it?

[Removed by poster at 03/06/19 10:33:11]

"Hands off the NHS! Simple as, fair warning been given.

The UK will not become a vassal of the USA.

Wake up, this is the future no deal brings, UK assets stripped by greedy American Companies, all supported by UK Politicians who really don’t give two fucks if you lived or died.

This isn’t project fear, this is project wake the fuck up!

"

. My thoughts too. How can an organisation like the nhs, created by a socialist government, survive in a neoliberal, right wing world.

Their is no "special relationship" other than being subservient to the usa, with this tory shower of shit ready to hand over everything to the American empire

Must be trolling.

Nope, I’m all for the US healthcare system. I’m already private, get a better quality of care, no waiting lists, everything you could ask for is provided. Doctors and nurses that work in private get a fairer wage for services they provide.

I also think there should be a option that people like myself can opt out paying for the nhs, if we don’t use it, why should we pay for it? "

You'll have your answer if you have an accident

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Must be trolling.

I also think there should be a option that people like myself can opt out paying for the nhs, if we don’t use it, why should we pay for it? "

Good you can afford private, unfortunately, not many people can afford the monthly premiums that a decent plan provide.

From your perspective, think about the NHS as a safety net, if for some reason you become broke and your health fails, then at least you have peace of mind.

Don’t have a gung-ho attitude, because you never know what is around the corner.....

Selling off the NHS isn't a vote winner.

The grey voters who use the service more than anyone else won't vote for private health care when they have free healthcare .

Going private is a nice thing if you can afford it but not a good idea to make the NHS private as what happens when they private company says to you sorry you have reached you’re limit that you are insured for ? What you going to do then?

The NHS is not perfect but it’s still a cut above most other countries services

Bristol East

After 40 years of relentless neo-Liberal policy, the fact the NHS remains a state enterprise tells you all you need to know about the polling done by serious political parties - dismantling it is electoral suicide.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"After 40 years of relentless neo-Liberal policy, the fact the NHS remains a state enterprise tells you all you need to know about the polling done by serious political parties - dismantling it is electoral suicide.

"

Totally agree with you that is why no party would ever consider it not even the brexit party.

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

"After 40 years of relentless neo-Liberal policy, the fact the NHS remains a state enterprise tells you all you need to know about the polling done by serious political parties - dismantling it is electoral suicide.

Totally agree with you that is why no party would ever consider it not even the brexit party."

I agree with the 2 of you. But the only comparison I can make to the NHS is, it's like ongoing roadworks.

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

Great meaningless answer

I agree with the OP

Brexit means no NHS

By *ady Penny Morgan SpiceCouple  over a year ago

Could be near you........

Must be trolling.

Hopefully when your operation goes wrong you are near an NHS hospital as private hospitals do not have high dependency or intensive care and all these Operations that go wrong in private hospitals end up in the NHS to fix that is fact...

Must be trolling.

I also think there should be a option that people like myself can opt out paying for the nhs, if we don’t use it, why should we pay for it?

Hopefully when your operation goes wrong you are near an NHS hospital as private hospitals do not have high dependency or intensive care and all these Operations that go wrong in private hospitals end up in the NHS to fix that is fact... "

Directed at the poster who asks "why should we pay for it".

Do you think society should support people who can't afford private health care. Or should they just deal with life with no health service?

Must be trolling.

Hopefully when your operation goes wrong you are near an NHS hospital as private hospitals do not have high dependency or intensive care and all these Operations that go wrong in private hospitals end up in the NHS to fix that is fact... "

Yep... A family friend died on the table when a private, routine, op went wrong and there was no immediate emergency staff onsite, as they only do non emergency procedures in these places

"

I think it's time to look to moving to part insurance cover as well, I think we're the only country in Europe who doesn't and the NHS in its current guise is not sustainable.

Bristol East

I already pay health insurance. I do not object to the premium going up.

Totally agree with you that is why no party would ever consider it not even the brexit party."

I'd venture to say privatisation has slowly been going on and will continue surreptitiously till it's too late

Must be trolling.

So, tell us, have you had to have any serious procedures carried out that your private healthcare insurance would not cover you for? The reason I ask is because in the last ten years two members of my immediate family have had to have emergency care for a broken back and spinal fusion due to scoliosis. The latter operation and care in the hdu probably cost about £80,000 due to complications while the former was relatively cheap but saved their life. I for one am eternally grateful for the NHS and what they have done for my family and when I hear about how much nicer and quicker the private service is I always think of all the years of training within the NHS that most private hospital staff and consultants have had and I dont see that being replicated by a private only system without a massive rise in costs to the users. I get that the nhs is huge and unwieldy and open to abuse by the likes of pharmaceutical companies banding together to form illegal cartels and raising the cost of medicines out of reach of nhs budgets but just because you can afford it and dont like to wait for your minor operations and consultations dont forget that the majority of lower paid people are not as lucky as you and cannot follow your route. Also dont forget that most private hospitals do not have the emergency response ability or intensive care facilities that nhs hospitals do, so joe public will still be mopping up after you in the event of you suffering a major problem. Unless of course you or your insurance company is willing to pay for it!

North West

I think it's time to look to moving to part insurance cover as well, I think we're the only country in Europe who doesn't and the NHS in its current guise is not sustainable."

Where do you get that idea from? Most of Europe and the civilised world have universal healthcare systems.

Insurance based healthcare is the very last place you want to be.

Just think about the application forms that you fill in for car and/or travel insurance where you choose your levels of coverage and the things you do not want covered. Imagine those questions on a health insurance application?

Ultimately the level of health insurance that you can get is going to depend on the amount of your income that you can apply to it. In real life this means that you start to think about levels of cover and things you could do without. This is what happens in the US and people end up bankrupted because they could only afford $100,000 of cover - then they had a heart attack with secondary complications...

You can be absolutely assured that no civilised country (other than the USA) inflicts such difficult healthcare questions and consequences on their citizens.

Bristol East

What about schools?

We all contribute, irrespective of whether we have children or send them to private schools?

Do you want a refund?

Or the fire brigade.

We all contribute irrespective of whether we use it or not.

Is this a socialist concept that irritates you, too?

Are we really becoming such a self-centred society that people object to making a contribution to universal services, irrespective of whether they use them or not?

"What about schools?

We all contribute, irrespective of whether we have children or send them to private schools?

Do you want a refund?

Or the fire brigade.

We all contribute irrespective of whether we use it or not.

Is this a socialist concept that irritates you, too?

Are we really becoming such a self-centred society that people object to making a contribution to universal services, irrespective of whether they use them or not?"

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"

You'll be willing to pay more, as well as miss out on treatments, I'm assuming

"

You'll be willing to pay more, as well as miss out on treatments, I'm assuming "

Always willing to pay more for health care if I’m actually using it. Willing to pay for any treatment I require.

If I have children they will be going to private school not because I wouldn’t want them to go to public but because I want to give any children of mine the best start in life.

Fire service is completely different than nhs comparing them is just stupid.

Bristol East

Good for you that you have the choice whether to rely on state provision for education and health, or buy your own customised provision. Millions do not have that choice.

I think it's time to look to moving to part insurance cover as well, I think we're the only country in Europe who doesn't and the NHS in its current guise is not sustainable.

Where do you get that idea from? Most of Europe and the civilised world have universal healthcare systems.

Just think about the application forms that you fill in for car and/or travel insurance where you choose your levels of coverage and the things you do not want covered. Imagine those questions on a health insurance application?

Ultimately the level of health insurance that you can get is going to depend on the amount of your income that you can apply to it. In real life this means that you start to think about levels of cover and things you could do without. This is what happens in the US and people end up bankrupted because they could only afford $100,000 of cover - then they had a heart attack with secondary complications...

You can be absolutely assured that no civilised country (other than the USA) inflicts such difficult healthcare questions and consequences on their citizens."

I think you've confused what I said, there's lots of different ways to have universal health care, Ireland has universal health care but there's a cost to visit your GP, France has it but there's a cost in visiting the hospital it also has part cost insurance based schemes.

The NHS is trying to be all things to all people for completely free and in many places it's failing miserably, I know people who've been in A&E for 14hrs before receiving treatment, I know people who've been on waiting lists for hip operations for 2 years, were spending something like 120 billon this year on it and some trusts are already in debt by billions.

Maybe it's time to look at the NHS going back to basics and making people get insurance for the less critical treatments, sporting injuries, driving injuries for instance could be reclaimed on the car insurance.

In its current format it either needs a huge budget increase or scaled back in scope to work better for everybody.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

"That’s the standard technique of privatization: defund, make sure things don’t work, people get angry, you hand it over to private capital.” - Noam Chomsky

London

You can be absolutely assured that no civilised country (other than the USA) inflicts such difficult healthcare questions and consequences on their citizens..

I think you've confused what I said, there's lots of different ways to have universal health care, Ireland has universal health care but there's a cost to visit your GP, France has it but there's a cost in visiting the hospital it also has part cost insurance based schemes.

The NHS is trying to be all things to all people for completely free and in many places it's failing miserably, I know people who've been in A&E for 14hrs before receiving treatment, I know people who've been on waiting lists for hip operations for 2 years, were spending something like 120 billon this year on it and some trusts are already in debt by billions.

Maybe it's time to look at the NHS going back to basics and making people get insurance for the less critical treatments, sporting injuries, driving injuries for instance could be reclaimed on the car insurance.

In its current format it either needs a huge budget increase or scaled back in scope to work better for everybody.

"

Wait. Didn't it get an extra £350M a week after March 29?

Trump just said it too, that "everything" needs to be on the table for this US/UK trade deal. Congratulations Brexiters, you took back control and handed it to America.

All trade deals are a case of "Wheels within wheels" But for brexiteers to poo poo the suggestion they have been taken for a ride shows an alarming disregard for the bleeding obvious . We will be struggling for deals and the other nations know this and will play a very hard game over terms and conditions

North West

Just to add something to this debate.

Your typical American will not understand the outrage that is being voiced about the NHS. It is almost a foregone conclusion over there that the US would be doing the UK a favour helping to upgrade its "creaking socialist healthcare system."

If the UK went towards a insurance based health care then you can bet your life that your taxation will not come down to take into account that we're no longer funding the NHS.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

You can be absolutely assured that no civilised country (other than the USA) inflicts such difficult healthcare questions and consequences on their citizens..

Wait. Didn't it get an extra £350M a week after March 29? "

and watch your already sky high insurance premiums go through the roof have you seen a typical bill from even a visit to the emergency room in the USA ? bills in excess of £30 k for even the simplest little injury accidents . have a major accident involving multiple victims for witch you get the blame and your talking telephone numbers and you being unable to obtain insurance going forward . broke my wrist at work two years ago due to faulty equipment got an insurance payment of £7k .have friend in america who had a similar injury the bill just from the hospital would of put the company he was working for into bankruptcy let alone any compensation but hey ra ra ra were geat a " realy great deal " from mr trump and friends

Bristol East

The gullible ones who swallowed the bullshit about how easy it would be to get a deal with the EU that's even better than what we had will no doubt be digesting Trump's bullshit in even bigger spoonfuls.

""That’s the standard technique of privatization: defund, make sure things don’t work, people get angry, you hand it over to private capital.” - Noam Chomsky

"

Wait, weren't you pro-Brexit before, or am I mixing you up with a different forum poster.

Bristol East

“Our ambition should be to break down the barriers between private and public provision, in effect denationalising the provision of health care in Britain.”

- Direct Democracy: An Agenda For A New Model Party, 2005.

Co-authored by Jeremy Hunt, Michael Gove, Daniel Hannan, Greg Clark, David Gauke, and Kwasi Kwarteng, among others.

When entering in to negotiations everything is 'on the table'. A position Teresa May could have made use of.

There have been no official talks yet and so comments like that are fairly off-the-cuff as, like I say, everything is on the table.

However, this is something that we would never have to worry about because the NHS,as much of a mess that it is, is an institution that the Americans, including President Trump, have great respect for. Plus, the public backlash would be too great.

Bristol East

Nothing off the cuff about it.

They are "lines to take" from a script.

The same script Woody Johnson used in his TV interview on Sunday is the same script Trump followed today.

The script is a PR brief, prepared from a number of sources - the outcome of the US consultation on priorities for negotiation with the UK; the policy objectives of the Trump administration; and the political sensitivities of the host country.

It provides US spokespeople with a consistent "line to take" in public.

"When entering in to negotiations everything is 'on the table'. A position Teresa May could have made use of.

There have been no official talks yet and so comments like that are fairly off-the-cuff as, like I say, everything is on the table.

However, this is something that we would never have to worry about because the NHS,as much of a mess that it is, is an institution that the Americans, including President Trump, have great respect for. Plus, the public backlash would be too great. "

There wouldn't be much public backlash.

If we've learned one thing over the past 3-4 years, it's how easy it is to manipulate the general public to vote for any old crap.

By *wosmilersCouple  over a year ago

Heathrowish

Actually....did anyone actually hear how this idea came about?

It was in the press conference and the Donald was asked about the NHS. He had no idea about what it was and said that everything was on the table . Theresa May had to explain what it was to him (presumably with a crayon).

I am not sure whether people should take this too seriously and those that do are exactly the same folks who call him a joke.

Essex

Why?

Essex

Must be trolling.

What utter tripe. Should people without school age kids be able opt out of paying for education? Should people without cars be able to opt out of paying taxes towards road building?

You've not really grasped how taxation and public expenditure works have you?

Essex

"Actually....did anyone actually hear how this idea came about?

It was in the press conference and the Donald was asked about the NHS. He had no idea about what it was and said that everything was on the table . Theresa May had to explain what it was to him (presumably with a crayon).

I am not sure whether people should take this too seriously and those that do are exactly the same folks who call him a joke."

Before the TTIP talks broke down, the USA were very keen to have access to all public services across the whole EU, including health services. The USA are no slouches when it comes to negotiating stuff and certainly aren't above flexing their muscles to get what they want: ask Mexico, Canada and China

Bristol East

Ha, I suspect the Brexit cheerleaders have been bending his ear.

"Donald, please don't bring up the NHS, you'll poison Brexit. Let us get Brexit done before you frighten the horses."

Cue Trump backtracking.

"No, the NHS won't be in any trade talks . . ."

How gullible do these people think we are?

North West

"Actually....did anyone actually hear how this idea came about?

I am not sure whether people should take this too seriously and those that do are exactly the same folks who call him a joke."

Yes Trump said it and yes, he probably did not know what it meant but he is not the only one to suggest it. To Americans the NHS is known as the British Socialist Healthcare System and it is a given (to them) that we would want them to help us to modernise it.

Yeah, no, let's not pretend Trump is playing dumb here, healthcare is one of the biggest grossest money makers in the US due to how corporations have total control over it, Trump has called the NHS "failing" multiple times and Johnson & Johnson have been keeping eyes on it for years. They want the NHS, they want it so they can manipulate it to be more like the US healthcare system.

Bristol East

"

Yes Trump said it and yes, he probably did not know what it meant but he is not the only one to suggest it. To Americans the NHS is known as the British Socialist Healthcare System and it is a given (to them) that we would want them to help us to modernise it.

"

"The Democrats are pushing for universal health care while thousands of people are marching in the UK because their U system is going broke and not working."

- Donald Trump, 2018

By *iscreet_divorced_guyMan  over a year ago

central

Yes. We are leaving on March 29 remember. "

I’ll believe that when I see it!!

By *iltsguy200Man  over a year ago

Warminster

You can be absolutely assured that no civilised country (other than the USA) inflicts such difficult healthcare questions and consequences on their citizens."

Most countries in the world use insurance based schemes to provide universal healthcare.

In France the entire population must pay COMPULSORY health insurance. The insurers are non-profit agencies that annually participate in negotiations with the state regarding the overall funding of health care in France. There are three main funds, the largest of which covers 84% of the population and the other two a further 12%. A premium is deducted from all employees' pay automatically. The 2001 Social Security Funding Act, set the rates for health insurance covering the statutory health care plan at 5.25% on earned income, capital and winnings from gambling and at 3.95% on benefits (pensions and allowances).

After paying the doctor's or dentist's fee, a proportion is reimbursed. This is around 75 to 80%, but can be as much as 100% (if you have a long duration medical problem such as a cancer). The balance is effectively a co-payment paid by the patient but it can also be recovered if the patient pays a regular premium to a voluntary health insurance scheme (more than 99% of the population as every worker is entitled, per law, to access to a company subsidized plan). Most of them are managed by non-for-profit groups.

In its 2000 assessment of world health care systems, the World Health Organization found that France provided the "close to best overall health care" in the world.

I don’t believe any other country in the world uses the NHS model to fund universal healthcare.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

What do they mean by ‘on the table’?

To buy / run? To supply? To use?

I’ve only terrific personal experiences of the NHS but clearly it’s not without challenges now and on the future.

Open to abuse of course - ask any taxi driver near Heathrow, often get asked by arrivals “take me to the nearest hospital “.

One of the biggest employers on the world with many fantastic people. Oddly - the biggest buyer still of fax machines in the world.

Not sure I want American corporations making money from our NHS.

North West

You can be absolutely assured that no civilised country (other than the USA) inflicts such difficult healthcare questions and consequences on their citizens.

Most countries in the world use insurance based schemes to provide universal healthcare.

In France the entire population must pay COMPULSORY health insurance. The insurers are non-profit agencies that annually participate in negotiations with the state regarding the overall funding of health care in France. There are three main funds, the largest of which covers 84% of the population and the other two a further 12%. A premium is deducted from all employees' pay automatically. The 2001 Social Security Funding Act, set the rates for health insurance covering the statutory health care plan at 5.25% on earned income, capital and winnings from gambling and at 3.95% on benefits (pensions and allowances).

After paying the doctor's or dentist's fee, a proportion is reimbursed. This is around 75 to 80%, but can be as much as 100% (if you have a long duration medical problem such as a cancer). The balance is effectively a co-payment paid by the patient but it can also be recovered if the patient pays a regular premium to a voluntary health insurance scheme (more than 99% of the population as every worker is entitled, per law, to access to a company subsidized plan). Most of them are managed by non-for-profit groups.

In its 2000 assessment of world health care systems, the World Health Organization found that France provided the "close to best overall health care" in the world.

I don’t believe any other country in the world uses the NHS model to fund universal healthcare. "

Most countries in the world DO NOT use insurance based schemes in the way that the Americans do. A not for profit fund that is used exclusively for healthcare is tantamount to a system whereby our NI contributions are ring fenced exclusively for healthcare costs.

There is a significant leap in terms of concept, functionality and value for money between healthcare funds and insurance based healthcare systems like the American model.

No-one doubts that NHS reforms are needed as are changes to the way that we use the NHS. We already pay for dental care and home care prescriptions so it seems a small and inevitable step to start contributing to GP visits and perhaps enabling the NHS to claim back care costs from liable parties in motor vehicle accidents (for example).

This is a very big step away from an insurance based healthcare system though. I can’t see that going down at all well with even a minority of the U.K. population, let alone a majority.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"What do they mean by ‘on the table’?

I’ve only terrific personal experiences of the NHS but clearly it’s not without challenges now and on the future.

Open to abuse of course - ask any taxi driver near Heathrow, often get asked by arrivals “take me to the nearest hospital “.

One of the biggest employers on the world with many fantastic people. Oddly - the biggest buyer still of fax machines in the world.

Not sure I want American corporations making money from our NHS."

The reality is a few people ask to go directly to the hospital.

Foreign abuse of the NHS in 2015 was £110-£280 million. Quite a lot of money. However, the NHS budget was £102 billion. 2.5%. Definitely to be reduced but hardly a crisis.

By *teveuk77Man  over a year ago

uk

Foreign abuse of the NHS in 2015 was £110-£280 million. Quite a lot of money. However, the NHS budget was £102 billion. 2.5%. Definitely to be reduced but hardly a crisis."

You can't count.

2.5% of £102bn is 2.5bn

and therefore nothing like the £110m-£280m you quoted.

It's more like 0.3%

https://fullfact.org/health/health-tourism-whats-cost/

Of course, it strengthens your argument 10 times.

West London

Foreign abuse of the NHS in 2015 was £110-£280 million. Quite a lot of money. However, the NHS budget was £102 billion. 2.5%. Definitely to be reduced but hardly a crisis.

You can't count.

2.5% of £102bn is 2.5bn

It's more like 0.3%

"

Doh! Decimal points are tricky little suckers...

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

Why such a shock?

The NHS is possibly the best data set that pharmaceutical companies want.

Making it private is happening already, that's why there's little investment.

I would hate to see it go, but I realise it can't go on as it is forever

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

They also want the UK to exit without paying its debts. So basically be in Americas pocket forever.

Bristol East

America First is not hard to understand.

A predatory businessman using the politcal levers of the world's most powerful state to co-erce the rest of the world into buying from America.

He has pulled out, or threatened to pull out of, just about every multilateral institution in order to break up the world into smaller pieces and so make it more vulnerable to American bullying to buy American.

The two biggest obstacles to his ambition are China and the EU, both of which are now under sustained attack.

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

"America First is not hard to understand.

A predatory businessman using the politcal levers of the world's most powerful state to co-erce the rest of the world into buying from America.

He has pulled out, or threatened to pull out of, just about every multilateral institution in order to break up the world into smaller pieces and so make it more vulnerable to American bullying to buy American.

The two biggest obstacles to his ambition are China and the EU, both of which are now under sustained attack."

Exactly, the EU is big enough to tell America to behave economically speaking. The UK wont be, Ireland wouldnt be, france wouldnt be, Germany wouldnt be.

They would be dancing on the streets of America if the EU fell apart, from a business point of view, its a wet dream scenario for america.

Bristol East

The USA is the equivalent of 50 small, medium and large-size countries in political and monetary union.

(I read somewhere that California would be something like the fifth richest in the world if it was a country.)

Prior to Trump, successive US leaders used that influence to align most of the world around common goals.

Trump's goal is simple - to use that clout to enrich America.

The EU is the equivalent of 28 (+4) states in a much looser political and monetary union.

That makes it strong enough to resist becoming prey when America decides it would rather be a predator than a leader.

Losing the UK weakens it. Trump and his useful idiots in the UK hope it will have a domino effect, smashing Europe into much smaller pieces that can be picked off one by one, starting with the UK.

The only salvation is the American constitution, which means at most we have only six years to survive the onslaught.

By *G LanaTV/TS  over a year ago

Gosport

I'm not convinced his goal is anything to do with enriching America just a very select few Americans.

You can't count.

2.5% of £102bn is 2.5bn

It's more like 0.3%

"

Hi. Thanks for clarifying. As the generally accepted figure was at least £2 billion I was surprised to see someone quote a much lower fig ure.

It is an issue that we need to address urgently .

Bristol East

"Fascism should more appropriately be called corporatism, because it is a merger of state and corporate power"

- Benito Mussolini

West London

You can't count.

2.5% of £102bn is 2.5bn

It's more like 0.3%

Hi. Thanks for clarifying. As the generally accepted figure was at least £2 billion I was surprised to see someone quote a much lower fig ure.

It is an issue that we need to address urgently ."

Do you not do maths Pat? Like me on this occasion

The clarification is that abuse of the NHS is only 0.25% not 2.5%.

There's nothing wrong with the figure used unless you can find some actual information of the fantasy £2bn that you just quoted

» Add a new message to this topic