FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The British Spring?

The British Spring?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *sianManc OP   Man  over a year ago

Manchester

There's a post here by MrMrsWestMids called Nick Clegg.

That title alone got me thinking and I was about to write on there when I realised I'm going off on tangent and better off making a post so here goes.

I saw Nick today on the news regarding Boris. I don't think I've seen him in years.

Now he's Sir Nick Clegg.

Nothing against the guy but his title made me think about the system in our land. He'll become a peer eventually.

Ita easy to find corruption in other lands but it's dismissed in our own.

The queens cost us 65million last year and the prime minister goes to tell her his/her agenda every single week. Put another way we pay her for her upkeep as every slave of the land should and as every dictator the prime minister should always report to his superior.

Nothing against the Queenie just stating what I see.

When will there be a British Spring like the Arabs "apparently" had? Lol

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

Really?

Are you really suggesting that the UK should have an 'Arab Spring'?

Remember that the 'Arab Spring' was the first season in what has turned into a 9 year (so far) multi country civil war that has cost countless (probably millions) of lives.

Manchester

"Really?

Are you really suggesting that the UK should have an 'Arab Spring'?

Remember that the 'Arab Spring' was the first season in what has turned into a 9 year (so far) multi country civil war that has cost countless (probably millions) of lives."

Lol I'm not being so darn literal. Clearly loss of life isn't wanted merely a hypothetical experiment on thought here.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Lol I'm not being so darn literal. Clearly loss of life isn't wanted merely a hypothetical experiment on thought here."

I am fairly confident you're not too. but I am pointing out the reality of what you are suggesting. After all i doubt that those young idealistic men and women who took to the Arab streets with high ideals looking to replace what they saw as corrupt regimes did not foresee the anarchism and bloodletting they were unleashing on themselves and their communities.

Or maybe some of them did and really got off on it.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

The dictatorial and autocratic regimes we dislike elsewhere once existed in this country.

Power was concentrated in the hands of a few at the top.

So the rules were very much top-down and designed to protect their status.

That's been pretty common around the world.

In some countries, the many rose up, overthrew the system and re-wrote it from the bottom up.

Think of France, the USA, Russia.

Every time the masses here threatened uprising, the ruling elite survived by giving up some of their power.

The system here is still rooted in that top down structure but it is now more open to the involvement of the masses.

The last time the ruling order here probably felt threatened by the masses was 1919.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

The United Kingdom has traditionally experienced evolution, rather than revolution - albeit certain times have seen quicker change than others.

With regards to the Royal Family, it appears that the money spent on them pays off many times over from the returns the country gets from them. In other words, manifestly unfair as it seems to defer to blue blood, they are an investment that pays off.

Politically, I suspect we may be on the cusp of one of those times when change happens quickly, but evolutionary - not revolutionary. I personally cannot see “first past the post” surviving Brexit and I suspect that we will see a change in the way that politics works over the next few years and possibly spurred on after the results of the next election, now that two party politics has all but ended.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"There's a post here by MrMrsWestMids called Nick Clegg.

That title alone got me thinking and I was about to write on there when I realised I'm going off on tangent and better off making a post so here goes.

I saw Nick today on the news regarding Boris. I don't think I've seen him in years.

Now he's Sir Nick Clegg.

Nothing against the guy but his title made me think about the system in our land. He'll become a peer eventually.

The queens cost us 65million last year and the prime minister goes to tell her his/her agenda every single week. Put another way we pay her for her upkeep as every slave of the land should and as every dictator the prime minister should always report to his superior.

When will there be a British Spring like the Arabs "apparently" had? Lol"

Why would anyone want that its one of the best countries in the world? i cannot understand why people are always slagging the uk off my suggestion to you is go out and travel see how some other people live then you might appreciate what a great country you live in.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

Now he's Sir Nick Clegg.

When will there be a British Spring like the Arabs "apparently" had? LolWhy would anyone want that its one of the best countries in the world? i cannot understand why people are always slagging the uk off my suggestion to you is go out and travel see how some other people live then you might appreciate what a great country you live in."

I actually agree wholeheartedly with this last post. I have travelled extensively in my lifetime and it all started with a life at sea. More recently I have lived and worked in Spain and Norway and I have had businesses in the Canaries and in the USA.

There really is nowhere quite like the U.K. it is stable, middle of the road, liberal, tolerant and just a very easy place to live and to call home.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Hasn't Brexit proved that the masses are generally wrong? If everyone had agreed with the Tories. Remain would have won, and the country wouldn't have been in this mess.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/06/19 09:28:38]

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Now he's Sir Nick Clegg.

When will there be a British Spring like the Arabs "apparently" had? LolWhy would anyone want that its one of the best countries in the world? i cannot understand why people are always slagging the uk off my suggestion to you is go out and travel see how some other people live then you might appreciate what a great country you live in.

I actually agree wholeheartedly with this last post. I have travelled extensively in my lifetime and it all started with a life at sea. More recently I have lived and worked in Spain and Norway and I have had businesses in the Canaries and in the USA.

There really is nowhere quite like the U.K. it is stable, middle of the road, liberal, tolerant and just a very easy place to live and to call home."

Except after the last three years it's become unstable, polarised between leave and remain, intolerant, and daily getting a harder place to live and call home.

near ipswich

Now he's Sir Nick Clegg.

When will there be a British Spring like the Arabs "apparently" had? LolWhy would anyone want that its one of the best countries in the world? i cannot understand why people are always slagging the uk off my suggestion to you is go out and travel see how some other people live then you might appreciate what a great country you live in.

There really is nowhere quite like the U.K. it is stable, middle of the road, liberal, tolerant and just a very easy place to live and to call home.

Except after the last three years it's become unstable, polarised between leave and remain, intolerant, and daily getting a harder place to live and call home."

Sorry i just cant agree with you,how many times are you out and about and brexit becomes a problem for you? for me its never happened its only confrontational on here because its something to pass the time in the real world it has never happened to me or anyone i know.

Now he's Sir Nick Clegg.

Except after the last three years it's become unstable, polarised between leave and remain, intolerant, and daily getting a harder place to live and call home."

It's subjective.If they or their family have never experienced it or then they will deny it's occurring.The police stats say it's happening.Those denying it are either ignorant of it through no fault of their own or are being wilful ignorant .

It's not the same country I was brought up in that's for sure.Again that's my subjective experience.

It's like a straight guy saying he's never seen or experienced homophobia in Britain.

Manchester

Now he's Sir Nick Clegg.

When will there be a British Spring like the Arabs "apparently" had? LolWhy would anyone want that its one of the best countries in the world? i cannot understand why people are always slagging the uk off my suggestion to you is go out and travel see how some other people live then you might appreciate what a great country you live in."

I was scrolling down the answers and came to this so stopped to reply.

You must understood my intentions.

I was not critising the UK per say. I believe it's the best country to live in in the whole world (I'm bias too as I have not been to every country but home after all will always be home).

To me what I wrote was not critising the UK. To me the UK is great but I was merely thinking about hidden corruption in our land.

I love the royal family as a romantic idealistic concept and if they do bring in more than they take then even better. I also love how the prime minister goes off to a higher authority but what I was doing was trying to call out what isn't in my eyes a perfect system that is hidden before our eyes as I saw it at the time of writing the post.

Being critical of systems within a country to seek a better way is not being critical of a country and its people etc.

There are a few points to come back on here, from the thread above.

I agree with Sara that the only time that we ever gain any real power, or semblence of power, from the ruling class has either been through revolution, or the ruling classes fear of imminent revolution. A few examples:

The Putney debates at the time of the English Civil War exemplify this, and this was very much a revolution to sweep away feudalism.

The 'Glorious Revolution' is forgotten by most but was in many senses the culmination of a bourgeois revolution in the UK.

1919 was mentioned, and you can add 1926 into that mix as well; the extension of suffrage came through fear.of revolution from below, from organised women, armed/trained men and the influence of bolshevism too.

Whether we have gained real power is a different question, or whether the power we once wrought from the hands of the ruling class has slipped backwards is open to debate. Can you really imagine a genuinely radical government being able to reach power and affect change through the ballot box? Look at the Zinoviev letter in the 20s, right through to the onslaught that Corbyn gets today, and he's pretty centre-left compared to most European countries. So ask yourself, do we really have agency and the potential to bring about change under our current system, or is it designed to give the impression that we do??

The final point is regarding the point made about the monarchy being a sound investment. Apart from the fact they are an anachronism of feudal days, it is also the case that the country with the most inward tourism in the world is France, and the most visited attraction in the world is a former royal palace, the Louvre, with the old royal collection. We all know what the French did to their monarchy, so don't dare argue that our monarchy can be justified economically.

By *igsteve43Man  over a year ago

derby

"There are a few points to come back on here, from the thread above.

I agree with Sara that the only time that we ever gain any real power, or semblence of power, from the ruling class has either been through revolution, or the ruling classes fear of imminent revolution. A few examples:

The Putney debates at the time of the English Civil War exemplify this, and this was very much a revolution to sweep away feudalism.

The 'Glorious Revolution' is forgotten by most but was in many senses the culmination of a bourgeois revolution in the UK.

1919 was mentioned, and you can add 1926 into that mix as well; the extension of suffrage came through fear.of revolution from below, from organised women, armed/trained men and the influence of bolshevism too.

Whether we have gained real power is a different question, or whether the power we once wrought from the hands of the ruling class has slipped backwards is open to debate. Can you really imagine a genuinely radical government being able to reach power and affect change through the ballot box? Look at the Zinoviev letter in the 20s, right through to the onslaught that Corbyn gets today, and he's pretty centre-left compared to most European countries. So ask yourself, do we really have agency and the potential to bring about change under our current system, or is it designed to give the impression that we do??

The final point is regarding the point made about the monarchy being a sound investment. Apart from the fact they are an anachronism of feudal days, it is also the case that the country with the most inward tourism in the world is France, and the most visited attraction in the world is a former royal palace, the Louvre, with the old royal collection. We all know what the French did to their monarchy, so don't dare argue that our monarchy can be justified economically."

Last year the crown estate made us 321 million, thats over four times its cost how does that not make sense

near ipswich

The final point is regarding the point made about the monarchy being a sound investment. Apart from the fact they are an anachronism of feudal days, it is also the case that the country with the most inward tourism in the world is France, and the most visited attraction in the world is a former royal palace, the Louvre, with the old royal collection. We all know what the French did to their monarchy, so don't dare argue that our monarchy can be justified economically."

Royal weddings royal babies all bring in millions to the country thats without the world wise publicity.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Isn't it funny how some people can argue Europe is not about the money generated, it's the principle, and simultaneously state that the hereditary privilege of the head of state is about the money generated, not the principle.

Lol

The final point is regarding the point made about the monarchy being a sound investment. Apart from the fact they are an anachronism of feudal days, it is also the case that the country with the most inward tourism in the world is France, and the most visited attraction in the world is a former royal palace, the Louvre, with the old royal collection. We all know what the French did to their monarchy, so don't dare argue that our monarchy can be justified economically.

Last year the crown estate made us 321 million, thats over four times its cost how does that not make sense"

How did they make us that money?

If you took every one of their ill gotten palaces, parklands, businesses, artworks etc etc etc etc and opened them up to the public, you would bring in far more than that figure. It would dwarf that figure.

Manchester

Ok so some are saying the royal family are making/bring in millions and millions but how is that happening; I mean specifically?

What a stupid thread

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

I was expecting those against the "unelected" heads of the EU to be against the unelected "head" of the UK , but that doesn't appear to be the case

near ipswich

"Isn't it funny how some people can argue Europe is not about the money generated, it's the principle, and simultaneously state that the hereditary privilege of the head of state is about the money generated, not the principle.

Lol"

Nothing wrong with being a royalist.

near ipswich

Last year the crown estate made us 321 million, thats over four times its cost how does that not make sense

If you took every one of their ill gotten palaces, parklands, businesses, artworks etc etc etc etc and opened them up to the public, you would bring in far more than that figure. It would dwarf that figure."

Unlike the french our monarchy is still generating business. Kate only has to wear a new dress and people are flocking to buy it sales soared for the baby shawl too thats why they are very conscious to promote uk products.when they go on tours they take business delegates to promote the uk.Money well spent in my view.But im sure corbyn and his commie mates would love to do away with them.

If you took every one of their ill gotten palaces, parklands, businesses, artworks etc etc etc etc and opened them up to the public, you would bring in far more than that figure. It would dwarf that figure.Unlike the french our monarchy is still generating business. Kate only has to wear a new dress and people are flocking to buy it sales soared for the baby shawl too thats why they are very conscious to promote uk products.when they go on tours they take business delegates to promote the uk.Money well spent in my view.But im sure corbyn and his commie mates would love to do away with them. "

. Prior to the 2017 General Election in an interview with Paxman , Corbyn was asked why the Labour Manifesto didn't say they would be abolishing the monarchy , Corbyn said " because we aren't going to "

near ipswich

If you took every one of their ill gotten palaces, parklands, businesses, artworks etc etc etc etc and opened them up to the public, you would bring in far more than that figure. It would dwarf that figure.Unlike the french our monarchy is still generating business. Kate only has to wear a new dress and people are flocking to buy it sales soared for the baby shawl too thats why they are very conscious to promote uk products.when they go on tours they take business delegates to promote the uk.Money well spent in my view.But im sure corbyn and his commie mates would love to do away with them. . Prior to the 2017 General Election in an interview with Paxman , Corbyn was asked why the Labour Manifesto didn't say they would be abolishing the monarchy , Corbyn said " because we aren't going to " "

He also said he would honour the referendum,hows that working out?

If you took every one of their ill gotten palaces, parklands, businesses, artworks etc etc etc etc and opened them up to the public, you would bring in far more than that figure. It would dwarf that figure.Unlike the french our monarchy is still generating business. Kate only has to wear a new dress and people are flocking to buy it sales soared for the baby shawl too thats why they are very conscious to promote uk products.when they go on tours they take business delegates to promote the uk.Money well spent in my view.But im sure corbyn and his commie mates would love to do away with them. . Prior to the 2017 General Election in an interview with Paxman , Corbyn was asked why the Labour Manifesto didn't say they would be abolishing the monarchy , Corbyn said " because we aren't going to " He also said he would honour the referendum,hows that working out?"

. Perhaps that question would be better put to Leadsom , who was a Tory MP when the idea of a referendum was included in the Tory 2015 manifesto , she had recently been a Minister , has stood twice to lead the Tory party and be PM since the referendum , she is now backing Johnson to get us out of Europe . She said on BBC tonight that we must plan for a no deal because governments must plan for all eventualities ,,,, quite a staggering statement as the Tory party had absolutely no plan what-so-ever for the leave vote to win ,,, so stop hiding behind Corbyn ( and others ) the Tory party must take FULL responsibility for the utter chaos they ( and leave voters ) have caused

salisbury

Basically the same arguments used to point out the cost of EU membership, that ignore the money gained. Are the same for royalty. People point out the cost. But happily ignore the money gained. Hypocrisy in action.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I think it's likely that in 10 years or so there will have been sufficient displeasure with a number of things, including stemming from austerity hitting the poorest, Brexit failures to help the masses and other aspects of discontent, that some botched attempts will be imposed by leaders. We have 2 streams of unrest - the older crowd, typified by Farage Brexit whingers and younger people, who are within a culture that gives them little. Both will potentially flex their muscles more

salisbury

"I think it's likely that in 10 years or so there will have been sufficient displeasure with a number of things, including stemming from austerity hitting the poorest, Brexit failures to help the masses and other aspects of discontent, that some botched attempts will be imposed by leaders. We have 2 streams of unrest - the older crowd, typified by Farage Brexit whingers and younger people, who are within a culture that gives them little. Both will potentially flex their muscles more"

I always hope that one day people who live within the M25 will realise that they're on their own.

"Basically the same arguments used to point out the cost of EU membership, that ignore the money gained. Are the same for royalty. People point out the cost. But happily ignore the money gained. Hypocrisy in action. "

Yes but are they worth more removed or left in place.Cut out the cost of supporting them and sell more tickets to places out of bounds.

What could be lucrative is if another wealthy powerful family took the throne .Like game of thrones.We need a king from the north to challenge for the throne..

By *areToBe43Man  over a year ago

Surrey

If this country’s so utterly, utterly shit why are rich people from places like China and Russia still so keen (Brexit notwithstanding) to move their accumulated wealth out of their own countries and over here? Same goes for British schools. And settling here.

Brits often forget how well their country stacks up against some of the truly shitty and corrupt regimes out there in the real world.

(Basing this on nine years living and working in APAC and three years in Russia. Mate. If you want corruption try heading out there!)

salisbury

"If this country’s so utterly, utterly shit why are rich people from places like China and Russia still so keen (Brexit notwithstanding) to move their accumulated wealth out of their own countries and over here? Same goes for British schools. And settling here.

Brits often forget how well their country stacks up against some of the truly shitty and corrupt regimes out there in the real world.

(Basing this on nine years living and working in APAC and three years in Russia. Mate. If you want corruption try heading out there!)"

It's mainly liberals who think its shit, as they read about the plight of refugees crossing the channel to get here in the Guardian, whilst scoffing an organicly baked artisan inspired Danish pastry, washed down with a skinny latté.

"If this country’s so utterly, utterly shit why are rich people from places like China and Russia still so keen (Brexit notwithstanding) to move their accumulated wealth out of their own countries and over here? Same goes for British schools. And settling here.

(Basing this on nine years living and working in APAC and three years in Russia. Mate. If you want corruption try heading out there!)

It's mainly liberals who think its shit, as they read about the plight of refugees crossing the channel to get here in the Guardian, whilst scoffing an organicly baked artisan inspired Danish pastry, washed down with a skinny latté. "

Can you recommend a coffee shop in Salisbury I'm up there the weekend..

It's mainly liberals who think its shit, as they read about the plight of refugees crossing the channel to get here in the Guardian, whilst scoffing an organicly baked artisan inspired Danish pastry, washed down with a skinny latté. "

And croissants, don’t forget croissants, liberals seem to think they have magical powers.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Organic cobblers..

salisbury

It's mainly liberals who think its shit, as they read about the plight of refugees crossing the channel to get here in the Guardian, whilst scoffing an organicly baked artisan inspired Danish pastry, washed down with a skinny latté.

Can you recommend a coffee shop in Salisbury I'm up there the weekend.. "

Greengages. On St johns street. Independent, vegan friendly cafe.

Manchester

HOW exactly do the royal bring in money (be it multi-millions) into our economy?

And how much money is lost due to corruption?

How much corruption is even remotely revealed?

By *areToBe43Man  over a year ago

Surrey

Stephen. Can you hear me Stephen?

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

Learn from history, Cromwell tried, lasted about 5 years, before we went back. Just saying

» Add a new message to this topic