FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > LGBT School Discussion

LGBT School Discussion

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ab_Sparkles OP   Woman  over a year ago

sparkle Surprised

We have recently heard a lot about this being taught in schools. I new thing apparently, that will wasn't in my time at school. So I wonder why now?. I've been following it and listening.

And the other day Angela Eagle told MPs. This is what she said. Apparently crying while, saying this statement.

" we aren't going to get back into the closet or hide or be ashamed nor are we going to allow a generation of pupils that are now in school to go through what the pupils of the 80s had to go through because the chamber let them down.

I think that there are many ways to look at this and think, it's not really about education of LGBT but more a stand that you will listen. That to me if that is what she is saying isn't good ib trying to get parents to understand.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I am not sure either why they have it now and not before.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Why is this new?

It's not. Equality is.

Schools have always been places to learn about relationships, families and sex.

One kind only.

That was because homosexuality was illegal.

Then when it was decriminalised, it was still frowned upon.

Councils in the 1980s who wanted to broaden the education were branded extreme left wing.

I remember Thatcher at a Tory conference demanding that children must be protected from "un-natural" homosexuality.

So we got Section 28, which criminalised teachers who "promoted" any sexuality other than straight.

Under Blair and then Cameron, we moved away from that to equality in the eyes of the state.

Same sex relationships are as legitimate as opposite sex relationships.

That has now been added to the teaching.

It should not be controversial.

The fact that it is tells you plenty out there cannot come to terms with same-sex relations being placed on an equal footing with opposite sex relations.

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

The way the right wing media portray it, it's as if half of the kids teaching hours are spent on this. It's an addition to what they were taught before. And even that was only a couple of hours out of their whole school career!

By *laytimenowMan  over a year ago

Essex

[Removed by poster at 26/06/19 19:05:03]

Essex

[Removed by poster at 26/06/19 19:05:40]

Essex

"Why now ?

Laws used to exist that considered any act of Homosexuality as a crime.

Schools now teach sexual education.

When i was a kid it was sexual reproduction.

If it is teaching sexual education it should be a full & broad explanation of sexuality.

We are evolving as a race

So everything must be taught as easily as possible.

"

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"I am not sure either why they have it now and not before."

The conservative government passed a law that prevented schools from promoting non-straight sexuality - Section 28, at some point in the 1980#, s, i think. It prevented teachers from speaking honestly, helping pupils who needed support if they were LGBQ and wasn't repealed until David Cameron. Many younger people were failed by government.

Straight parents won't potentially be experts on non-straight life, nor have outlooks that are LGBT positive. It's therefore helpful if teachers and schools provide a forum where everyone is understood and tolerated - as well as provides a listening, non-judgmental ear as op suggests.

Our culture thankfully respects mental health more so than in the past.

It would appear that the biggest (by far) opponents of children being educated about homosexuality are muslims.

So liberals are now faced with the conundrum. Who is in the wrong? Gay friendly schoolteachers or gay unfriendly Muslim parents?

Oh dear!

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"It would appear that the biggest (by far) opponents of children being educated about homosexuality are muslims.

So liberals are now faced with the conundrum. Who is in the wrong? Gay friendly schoolteachers or gay unfriendly Muslim parents?

Oh dear!"

It really isn't as simple as your grossly wrong assumptions though, there are anti LGBT in the tory party, the brexit fan club and probably in all parties..

Equally its prevalent in all demographics and across generations..

Essentially the parents are as wrong as you are..

Sorted?

Btw, what's with the retro language..

"It would appear that the biggest (by far) opponents of children being educated about homosexuality are muslims.

Oh dear!"

I don't think I've see many liberals feel torn here.

If we're going for torn it's more likely to be the little Britainer lining up in the same protest as Muslims about "schools damaging our 5yo by talking about gay sex" (they're not)

Oh dear!

It really isn't as simple as your grossly wrong assumptions though, there are anti LGBT in the tory party, the brexit fan club and probably in all parties..

Sorted?

Btw, what's with the retro language.. "

However the original poster is simply high lighting the fact that Muslim parents are actually actively protesting against the lessons in schools which is highly ironic considering how open minded others consider them to be. He has hit the nail on the head.

In the other cases to which you refer none of the organisations have taken to protesting outside the school concerned.

The poster is exactly right in his comments.

I don't know why schools are teaching sexuality in schools, they should just crack on teaching actual subjects that matter and leave more nuanced subjects to parents.

Unfortunately schools are overrun these days with left wing political teachers and the left wing love to get involved in everything in people's lives, it's like there giant control freaks.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Oh dear!

Sorted?

Btw, what's with the retro language.. However the original poster is simply high lighting the fact that Muslim parents are actually actively protesting against the lessons in schools which is highly ironic considering how open minded others consider them to be. He has hit the nail on the head.

In the other cases to which you refer none of the organisations have taken to protesting outside the school concerned.

The poster is exactly right in his comments."

Yo Pat, have said its wrong already on the issue but thanks..

And its some Muslim parents BTW, do you think the protesters know or care that some think they are open minded..?

Who has said that in any case?

Mate, when people in power and influence are homophobic, racist etc they don't necessarily have to protest outside a school..

Your not that naive surely?

Bristol East

Anne Widdecombe.

Esther McVey.

For starters.

Bristol East

"I don't know why schools are teaching sexuality in schools, they should just crack on teaching actual subjects that matter and leave more nuanced subjects to parents.

Unfortunately schools are overrun these days with left wing political teachers and the left wing love to get involved in everything in people's lives, it's like there giant control freaks."

Oh dear, you sound like Thatcher justifying Section 28.

Get with it bro, you're yesterday's news.

"I don't know why schools are teaching sexuality in schools, they should just crack on teaching actual subjects that matter and leave more nuanced subjects to parents.

Unfortunately schools are overrun these days with left wing political teachers and the left wing love to get involved in everything in people's lives, it's like there giant control freaks."

Nunaced is an interesting word to use. In my mind it's fairly simple, when a school teaches about relationships they teach it can be man & women, but also man & man, and women & women.

Likewise when teaching about sex, you cover straight and gay.

The protestors are majoring on teaching about homosexuality too early. Really, they're not. Schools a're talking about relationships at 5. Doesn't even have to be about sexuality.

Tbh it would concern me about leaving it to parents. Not all parents are comfortable talking about this. There are plenty of examples of people you'd hate to have as a parent to a gay child...

Oh dear!

Sorted?

Btw, what's with the retro language.. However the original poster is simply high lighting the fact that Muslim parents are actually actively protesting against the lessons in schools which is highly ironic considering how open minded others consider them to be. He has hit the nail on the head.

The poster is exactly right in his comments."

That is why they are arguing the toss without even attempting to answer my question. Which, as I’m sure you are aware is a serious one.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

Oh dear!"

A totally made up right wing talking point. Supporting Muslims' right to exist without persecution and prejudice does not mean you have to support or make accommodations for everything they believe.

It really shows how shallow the right's understanding of these issues are.

Oh dear!

A totally made up right wing talking point. Supporting Muslims' right to exist without persecution and prejudice does not mean you have to support or make accommodations for everything they believe.

It really shows how shallow the right's understanding of these issues are. "

Bullshit! - To be honest I don’t care about teachers making pupils aware that gay people exist. I also don’t care that many Muslims are not prepared to allow this to be taught to there children.

I’m just asking a question, your lame attempt is not a proper answer. The liberal left will never be able to answer it. Because they are shit scared of upsetting those in either side.

I understand the issue fully, and I’m certain that your average Guardian reader will have her/his arse glued firmly to the fence.

Oh dear!

Bullshit! - To be honest I don’t care about teachers making pupils aware that gay people exist. I also don’t care that many Muslims are not prepared to allow this to be taught to there children.

I’m just asking a question, your lame attempt is not a proper answer. The liberal left will never be able to answer it. Because they are shit scared of upsetting those in either side.

I understand the issue fully, and I’m certain that your average Guardian reader will have her/his arse glued firmly to the fence."

Don't know if I'm classed as Liberal left but...

Those who seek to demonise or hide away homosexuality are wrong.

So in this case it is the Muslim protestor. And the Labour MP who supported their cause.

Oh dear!

I understand the issue fully, and I’m certain that your average Guardian reader will have her/his arse glued firmly to the fence.

Don't know if I'm classed as Liberal left but...

Those who seek to demonise or hide away homosexuality are wrong.

So in this case it is the Muslim protestor. And the Labour MP who supported their cause.

"

AT LAST! - Thank you.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The conservatives repealed law that prevented promotion of non-straight sexual orientations in school. The conservatives have also developed education to include age appropriate lifestyle and social information, This can include relationship overview facts, such as some children come from families with 2 dads or 2 mums. It's simple factual content that reflects UK law and society, that these schools are within and funded from.

There are protesters who clearly dislike such facts being provided and not all protesters are muslim parents with children at the schools. There remain ignorant protesters too, who don't know, like or accept this system.

It's obviously healthier for people of any age to know the truthful facts of their society, just as it is for people with these minority sexual orientations to know that they are accepted in this country.

Bristol East

I thought it was Labour who repealed Section 28.

» Add a new message to this topic