FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The "Great" US-UK trade deal

The "Great" US-UK trade deal

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asyuk OP   Man  over a year ago

West London

Tax on tech giants will rule out trade deal, US warns Britain

Communicated to the UK "at multiple levels" apparently.

So what control would we have taken back?

It's from the Telegraph so no whining about spin.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/08/02/tax-tech-giants-will-rule-us-trade-deal-us-warns-britain2/

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

"Tax on tech giants will rule out trade deal, US warns Britain

Communicated to the UK "at multiple levels" apparently.

So what control would we have taken back?

It's from the Telegraph so no whining about spin.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/08/02/tax-tech-giants-will-rule-us-trade-deal-us-warns-britain2/"

We'll take control of our right to get shafted. That'll learn the EU and them liberal experts.

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Us congress has also stated that they would block any deal jeopardizing the good friday agreement.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Just to add some further pertinent info, US threatening to slap on tarrifs to French wine as a consequence of the French taxing the us tech giants ...

I do so love the way potus then chucks in a parting personal shot - “I’ve always said American wine is better than french wine!”

West London

"Just to add some further pertinent info, US threatening to slap on tarrifs to French wine as a consequence of the French taxing the us tech giants ...

I do so love the way potus then chucks in a parting personal shot - “I’ve always said American wine is better than french wine!” "

He doesn't drink. Another insight into his opinion of himself

So what control have we taken back?

here

"Just to add some further pertinent info, US threatening to slap on tarrifs to French wine as a consequence of the French taxing the us tech giants ...

I do so love the way potus then chucks in a parting personal shot - “I’ve always said American wine is better than french wine!”

So what control have we taken back?"

Not thought about it in that context, so can’t offer an answer or an opinion.

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

"

Need to wait until you can copy from an article?

Have a think and a try. It'll be fun.

here

Need to wait until you can copy from an article?

Have a think and a try. It'll be fun."

Is there any need for that. Really.

West London

"

Really?

Is this not one of the first considerations when leaving one of the world's largest trading powers.

At the moment we are the peers of the USA, China and Japan.

What power will we really have alone in the world?

Look above for your answer.

here

Really?

Is this not one of the first considerations when leaving one of the world's largest trading powers.

Look above for your answer."

I don’t think there are definitive answers in here. The diverse range of opinions however do provide more food for thought.

West London

Really?

I don’t think there are definitive answers in here. The diverse range of opinions however do provide more food for thought.

"

That's a pretty definite answer.

You had no opinion on the UK's geopolitical influence outside the EU but voted to leave anyway?

here

Really?

You had no opinion on the UK's geopolitical influence outside the EU but voted to leave anyway?"

I haven’t said how I voted, or indeed if I actually voted..

West London

Really?

You had no opinion on the UK's geopolitical influence outside the EU but voted to leave anyway?

I haven’t said how I voted, or indeed if I actually voted..

"

How mysterious. How interesting.

Yawn.

I'm sure that there was no need for that either

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

I do so love the way potus then chucks in a parting personal shot - “I’ve always said American wine is better than french wine!” "

You love the fact that the President of the most powerful country in the world behaves like a petulant teenager?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Since free trade deals with the United States have formed such weight with leavers over the last 3 years as a bonus of Brexit how do you feel now that to get these trade deals we look like we'll have to get permission from America on who we can tax and who we can't?

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"Since free trade deals with the United States have formed such weight with leavers over the last 3 years as a bonus of Brexit how do you feel now that to get these trade deals we look like we'll have to get permission from America on who we can tax and who we can't? "

Can't wait to hand all that 'sovereignty' we've got back from the EU straight over to Trump!

[Removed by poster at 03/08/19 08:37:54]

Dont forget the chickens from america they will send lol.

So what control have we taken back?"

What is wrong with someone who chooses not to drink? You are a person full of prejudice

Some of you people are amazing. We haven't even begun negotiating the deal and you know what it is already

If he decides to tax French wine then does that mean under WTO rules all imported wine from countries with no agreement with the US have to be taxed at the same rate including the UK?

Unsure how it works.

"Some of you people are amazing. We haven't even begun negotiating the deal and you know what it is already "

We know what Trump is saying that MUST happen with OUR tax system before any trade deal with the US, or have you missed that nugget of information?

"Some of you people are amazing. We haven't even begun negotiating the deal and you know what it is already

We know what Trump is saying that MUST happen with OUR tax system before any trade deal with the US, or have you missed that nugget of information? "

Negotiations haven't started yet and will take years with compromise from both sides. Trump may not be president when they do start and probably not when they finish. Or have you missed that nugget of information

"Some of you people are amazing. We haven't even begun negotiating the deal and you know what it is already

We know what Trump is saying that MUST happen with OUR tax system before any trade deal with the US, or have you missed that nugget of information?

Negotiations haven't started yet and will take years with compromise from both sides. Trump may not be president when they do start and probably not when they finish. Or have you missed that nugget of information "

Compromise from both sides, do you lump our tax system in your compromises?

Negotiations won't start at all while Trumps in charge going by what he's saying unless we follow a tax system to his liking and he's probably going to win another term so that'll take us to what.. 2025?

So negotiations won't start for at least 5 to 6 years going by this unless we "compromise"

here

Doesn’t it make sense to attract and fill up the country with global companies, investing and providing jobs.

Better to have people in work and money in their pockets to spend in shops and businesses.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

I heard Trump on the radio yesterday hailing an agreement with the EU that allows US beef to be sold in Europe. Hormone-free beef, apparently.

"Doesn’t it make sense to attract and fill up the country with global companies, investing and providing jobs.

Better to have people in work and money in their pockets to spend in shops and businesses."

do we not have that now? There are regularly posts here on our record employment levels and that our FDI is higher than most places.

"Doesn’t it make sense to attract and fill up the country with global companies, investing and providing jobs.

Better to have people in work and money in their pockets to spend in shops and businesses."

Yes it does but what point are you making?

here

Better to have people in work and money in their pockets to spend in shops and businesses.

Yes it does but what point are you making? "

Let’s not shut the door

Let’s not shut the door "

On what?

And isnt brexit shutting the door?

So its a choice of which door to shut...

here

Let’s not shut the door

On what?

So its a choice of which door to shut... "

Eu - shut that door

Rest of the world (and European countries) - doors open

West London

Let’s not shut the door

On what?

Eu - shut that door

"

The rest of the world is open now. Germany sells far more to it than we do from within the EU.

Our home market is the EU. Pretty much as big as the USA or China or Japan.

We have over 70 international agreements because the EU is such a powerful trading block.

When times are tough and external trading is harder, that remains our domestic market.

Not if we leave.

Trade deals with the USA also preclude similar agreements with China.

Lots of shut doors. Have you really not thought about this?

here

Let’s not shut the door

On what?

Eu - shut that door

The rest of the world is open now. Germany sells far more to it than we do from within the EU.

We have over 70 international agreements because the EU is such a powerful trading block.

When times are tough and external trading is harder, that remains our domestic market.

Not if we leave.

Lots of shut doors. Have you really not thought about this?"

I would love to know what it is you do..

It would either add credibility or debunk a lot of what you produce on here.

For most of the time, like the rest of us, it’s just stuff we write.

Bristol East

The tariff schedule announced by the UK in March removes any incentive for third parties to engage in trade talks with the UK. We have granted them unilateral free access on 85 per cent of goods.

here

"The tariff schedule announced by the UK in March removes any incentive for third parties to engage in trade talks with the UK. We have granted them unilateral free access on 85 per cent of goods.

"

... in the event of a no deal exit.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Negotiations haven't started yet and will take years with compromise from both sides. Trump may not be president when they do start and probably not when they finish. Or have you missed that nugget of information "

i am glad that a "leaver" finally admitted that this fabled UK-US trade deal will take years to negotiate...

I am sure this was on the list of "project fear" stuff

now can you pass this info on to your brexiteer chums.... thank you!

Have we said what tarriffs would be under a deal. Its not just the eu we deal with...

"Some of you people are amazing. We haven't even begun negotiating the deal and you know what it is already "

Also it amazes me how now viewed so many are which limits ones thinking too. We've far more world influence that any single EU power. There is also an incredible amount of restrictions by being constrained by the EU. Many talk as if the EU trade power is for a particular country but the reality is that it's not shared in any uniform way of equality.

America is starting to realise that the trade war with China has left their tech companies in losses ranging from 13 to 30 % while Chinese companies had the foresight to make massive stock purchases ahead of time and have since been issuing many patents especially around the 5G network. By doing so they have leap frogged in terms of having business models in place when it all returns again.

We may have a bit more influence than any one eu country (germany may disagree) but the whole point of the eu is the sum is greater than the parts.

Now to make the while work in unison there may be some restrictions (in guessing you either mean standards or not being able to strike ftas on our own) but it's balancing off the two which needs to be done. I landed in the place we are only really missing out on us, China and maybe India. And we'd not get a good deal with any.

Not sure if your point on us and china.is it that the US has been too inwardly focused or resting on laurels..?

Bristol East

"Have we said what tarriffs would be under a deal. Its not just the eu we deal with... "

The proposal that was on the table rolls over every existing EU/rest of the world arrangement for the period of the transition.

"Have we said what tarriffs would be under a deal. Its not just the eu we deal with...

The proposal that was on the table rolls over every existing EU/rest of the world arrangement for the period of the transition."

Ahh yes, of course. Funny what we do with the EU affects the tarriffs we apply to the rest of the world...

By *ean299Man  over a year ago

Lucan

"Have we said what tarriffs would be under a deal. Its not just the eu we deal with...

The proposal that was on the table rolls over every existing EU/rest of the world arrangement for the period of the transition.

Ahh yes, of course. Funny what we do with the EU affects the tarriffs we apply to the rest of the world... "

But there is no transition period if the UK crashes out.

Negotiations haven't started yet and will take years with compromise from both sides. Trump may not be president when they do start and probably not when they finish. Or have you missed that nugget of information

Negotiations won't start at all while Trumps in charge going by what he's saying unless we follow a tax system to his liking and he's probably going to win another term so that'll take us to what.. 2025?

So negotiations won't start for at least 5 to 6 years going by this unless we "compromise"

"

Comprehension isn't a strong point of yours is it. Read my post again, then try to engage your brain. You will realise your response is nonsensical.

"

i am glad that a "leaver" finally admitted that this fabled UK-US trade deal will take years to negotiate...

now can you pass this info on to your brexiteer chums.... thank you! "

Who says I'm a leaver. I merely accept the result of a democratic vote and laugh at the pathetical attitude of those who can't. Project fear was about how our economy would collapse the morning after a leave vote and world war 3 starting, not how long a trade deal takes.

West London

What is wrong with someone who chooses not to drink? You are a person full of prejudice "

Please forgive me if I pay no heed to a non-drinkers opinion on the quality of wine and as a consequence form an opinion on the fact that such an individual thinks that his opinion on this matter should be paid attention to

I will also choose not to pay any attention to his opinion on cancer treatment due to him having zero knowledge either through education or experience.

Now tell me about my prejudice again

West London

Looking through this thread so far, why is it so difficult to draw the conclusion that we will not be entering into any trade "negotiation" with the USA, regardless of administration, from any position of strength?

Is it also not possible to conclude that the USA, Trump specifically, is not intending to give a "great" trade deal to us. It will, however, be great for the USA which currently has a trade deficit with us.

Bristol East

Yes, some people do not understand "America First"

West London

"

Who says I'm a leaver. I merely accept the result of a democratic vote and laugh at the pathetical attitude of those who can't. Project fear was about how our economy would collapse the morning after a leave vote and world war 3 starting, not how long a trade deal takes."

I don't accept the result of a general election if I dislike the consequences.

If policies are introduced that are unacceptable them I will do my best to protest and resist them as do many members of Parliament.

You seem to have democracy in the UK confused with what happens in Russia or Venezuela or Turkey

West London

Let’s not shut the door

On what?

Eu - shut that door

Not if we leave.

Lots of shut doors. Have you really not thought about this?

I would love to know what it is you do..

It would either add credibility or debunk a lot of what you produce on here.

For most of the time, like the rest of us, it’s just stuff we write.

"

What I do does not add credibility to or debunk anything that anyone says.

The logic and analysis of data do that.

Their personal experiences will inform their opinions as will their upbringing and outlook. This may or may not bias their position.

I am an aerodynamicist.

Does that help?

What do you do?

Bristol East

Ahh yes, of course. Funny what we do with the EU affects the tarriffs we apply to the rest of the world...

But there is no transition period if the UK crashes out."

That's correct.

All the barriers we have spent 40 years tearing down - the flow of goods, the flow of people, the flow of money, the flow of services - suddenly of all of those barricades will re-appear.

We give/lease them our NHS infrastructure and assetts. We agree to raise our food standards and stop importing nasty, untreated foodstuffs such as Reblochon cheese. We revert to British legislation in areas such as drivers working hours, weights & measures, currency and general working hours / conditions. We welcome the concept of "standing on your own 2 feet and taking responsibility" by allowing zero hours contracts. Oh, and of course the regional origination shit of products won't apply to us.

In return, we get bleached chicken, peanut and maize based treats, drive throughs from Wendys & Taco Bell, "Dogs", a Disneyland complex just outside Margate, Cornish pasties made by machines in Leicester, Champagne from California vineyards, free trials of the Paramount Channel, and bestest of all......

The Trump Savpy, The Trump Savoy Theatre, The Trum Savoy Tailors and the Trump Coal Hole.

That's correct.

All the barriers we have spent 40 years tearing down - the flow of goods, the flow of people, the flow of money, the flow of services - suddenly of all of those barricades will re-appear.

"

In summary, when asked if I think that we need Europe, my replay is usually "No, we do not NEED Europe, but we DO benefit from Europe." "My biggest concern is that by turning our backs on Europe, we increase the risk that we will become something along the lines of the old East Germany.....

That's correct.

"

So, the barricades of East Germany (Berlin Wall) and the barricades of Russia (Iron curtain) will reappear?

I do find it quite funny that the old film "Letter to Brezhnev" might be remade for the 2020s as "Letter to Trump"

Meanwhile, the rest of Russia and Europe will quietly keep on breaking down ever further barriers.

"Us congress has also stated that they would block any deal jeopardizing the good friday agreement. "

Could trump veto it?

Congress banned the sale of arms to Saudi Arabia but trump veto'd it... "Profit before war crimes"

Comprehension isn't a strong point of yours is it. Read my post again, then try to engage your brain. You will realise your response is nonsensical."

Ooo Johnny Big balls on his keyboard

So you're saying all the leavers who've been saying as a Brexit bonus that Trump will do an FTA in a heartbeat have been lying then

West London

"Us congress has also stated that they would block any deal jeopardizing the good friday agreement.

Could trump veto it?

Congress banned the sale of arms to Saudi Arabia but trump veto'd it... "Profit before war crimes" "

Any teary has to be ratified by Congress within a certain time frame to come into effect.

Weapons sales comes under defence and is a Presidential decision. Military budgets require Congressional approval though unless it is an emergency or conflict.

The rules make sense, but like ours they were framed in a time when there was assumption that those in power would behave with some level of integrity...

Comprehension isn't a strong point of yours is it. Read my post again, then try to engage your brain. You will realise your response is nonsensical."

So do you think our tax system should be part of the negotiation with the US to get a "deal in a heartbeat"?

"Yes, some people do not understand "America First""

Many don't understand a hell of a lot at all

here

"I am an aerodynamicist.

Does that help? "

No, but one of your earlier replies does.

"What do you do?"

I sell sand to the Arabs

West London

"I am an aerodynamicist.

Does that help?

What do you do?

I sell sand to the Arabs

"

Honest direct answer from me.

Nothing from you.

Enough said.

here

"I am an aerodynamicist.

Does that help?

What do you do?

I sell sand to the Arabs

Nothing from you.

Enough said."

I sell sand to the Arabs !

What more do you want!

"

Who says I'm a leaver. I merely accept the result of a democratic vote and laugh at the pathetical attitude of those who can't. Project fear was about how our economy would collapse the morning after a leave vote and world war 3 starting, not how long a trade deal takes."

Big generalisation there, I voted Remain but have stated on here time and time again that we should leave because it was a democratic vote that was promised would be acted upon.

What I don't accept and therefore challenge is all the bullshit reasons leavers come out with on how the UK will be better off by leaving but everytime another leave promise is shown to be pure rubbish and bullshit leavers always start with the "you're undemocratic", "believe in Brexit", "you're talking your country down" bollocks and this topic is yet another fine example on how the masses have been duped into thinking Brexit's going to be so easy, everyone needs us more than we need them, the EU's going to be banging on our door begging us for terms, America's going to do a amazing FTA with us in a heartbeat blahh blahh blahh

Yes we're leaving and we should be leaving but one credible reason for doing so that benefits the UK would be nice lol

West London

"I am an aerodynamicist.

Does that help?

What do you do?

I sell sand to the Arabs

Nothing from you.

Enough said.

What more do you want!

"

Forgive me if I thought you were being facetious.

You usuallyly are.

Comprehension isn't a strong point of yours is it. Read my post again, then try to engage your brain. You will realise your response is nonsensical.

So do you think our tax system should be part of the negotiation with the US to get a "deal in a heartbeat"? "

There is a form, it's called a W8 BEN

It allows ordinary simple working people living in the UK to pay tax in the UK without also paying tax in the USA even though the UK person filling out the form might have earned money in the USA.

here

"I am an aerodynamicist.

Does that help?

What do you do?

I sell sand to the Arabs

Nothing from you.

Enough said.

What more do you want!

Forgive me if I thought you were being facetious.

You usuallyly are."

In your opinion

"

I didn't vote to leave. But accept the majority did.

I didn't vote for May and the tories. But accept she was chosen by the people to negotiate a deal as described in the tory manifesto.

I didn't really like her deal, but would accept this is the end product of the above.

But when vast numbers of tory MP's vote against their own government and the manifesto they stood on... And spend all the time trying to dethrone her... Then are happy to lead us towards an outcome no one really talked about... Suddenly it feels like the last three years have been written off.

And while some HMT papers did talk about no deal, I'm loathe to say the people were told and voted anyway, or chose not to be informed. If we expect people to make decisions all sides need to be open about the issues.

Bristol East

"

Who says I'm a leaver. I merely accept the result of a democratic vote and laugh at the pathetical attitude of those who can't. Project fear was about how our economy would collapse the morning after a leave vote and world war 3 starting, not how long a trade deal takes.

I didn't vote for May and the tories. But accept she was chosen by the people to negotiate a deal as described in the tory manifesto.

I didn't really like her deal, but would accept this is the end product of the above.

But when vast numbers of tory MP's vote against their own government and the manifesto they stood on... And spend all the time trying to dethrone her... Then are happy to lead us towards an outcome no one really talked about... Suddenly it feels like the last three years have been written off.

And while some HMT papers did talk about no deal, I'm loathe to say the people were told and voted anyway, or chose not to be informed. If we expect people to make decisions all sides need to be open about the issues. "

The people who transited through the concentration camps also didn't vote in favour of the majority and didn't vote in favour of their own fate, but they ultimately accepted their fate.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Us congress has also stated that they would block any deal jeopardizing the good friday agreement.

Could trump veto it?

Congress banned the sale of arms to Saudi Arabia but trump veto'd it... "Profit before war crimes" "

could trump veto it....

the answer is no....

because trade deals come up "income generation" for budget purposes... the trade deal gets recommended from the whitehouse and has to be ratified by the lower house.....

so yes... the dems at this time could say no to any deal... and there is nothing trump could do

West London

"

And while some HMT papers did talk about no deal, I'm loathe to say the people were told and voted anyway, or chose not to be informed. If we expect people to make decisions all sides need to be open about the issues.

The people who transited through the concentration camps also didn't vote in favour of the majority and didn't vote in favour of their own fate, but they ultimately accepted their fate."

No. They did not accept their fate. They fought it in a million tiny ways.

Futile for millions of them, but they fought.

"

The people who transited through the concentration camps also didn't vote in favour of the majority and didn't vote in favour of their own fate, but they ultimately accepted their fate.

Futile for millions of them, but they fought."

No, they did NOT fight. If they would have fought, then they would have fought against the men armed with guns who guided them into their death cells.

Instead, they trusted the men with guns who fed them with false promises of their destiny.

West London

"

No, they did NOT fight. If they would have fought, then they would have fought against the men armed with guns who guided them into their death cells.

Instead, they trusted the men with guns who fed them with false promises of their destiny."

No. They really didn't.

"

Instead, they trusted the men with guns who fed them with false promises of their destiny.

No. They really didn't."

It was all about psychological power games, just as being dom and sub are today in sex clubs. There were far more prisoners than there were guards. There were far more unarmed men than armed men. The threats (carried out) of armed men were psychologically powerful enough to outweigh the fears of the unarmed men.

That, basically, is why the entire civilian population of Ypres was carrying their worldly belongings (and abandoning their land / buildings) toward Poperinge whilst the British Army was marching towards Ypres to take control of the vacated land / buildings in the era of World War 1.

"

Why would you accept a bad decision in any aspect of life, especially something as impactful as Brexit? I don't understand that mindset.

In any choice or decision the measure should be in terms of if it's the right thing to do or not. The number of people who voted for it or who made the decision doesn't impact the measure of if it's the right thing to do.

And why would you laugh at people who stand up for what they believe in and who campaign against a stupid decision being made?

Oh and "Project fear", was a term made up by the pro Brexit media to dismiss information that disagreed with their agenda. It's actually meaningless, I didn't think anyone was using it anymore.

Bristol East

Yes, that is my understanding. Trump has the authority to negotiate trade agreements with third countries. Those agreements need approval by Congress in order to become law. Congress has made clear it will not approve if Ireland is in jeopardy.

"Yes, that is my understanding. Trump has the authority to negotiate trade agreements with third countries. Those agreements need approval by Congress in order to become law. Congress has made clear it will not approve if Ireland is in jeopardy."

According to google maps, "Maps can't find jeopardy"

Also, apparently, Ireland is in the Irish Sea, not jeopardy.

There are lies, damned lies and journalism.

Technically, Ireland is NOT in jeopardy.

Bristol East

"Yes, that is my understanding. Trump has the authority to negotiate trade agreements with third countries. Those agreements need approval by Congress in order to become law. Congress has made clear it will not approve if Ireland is in jeopardy.

"

That's true. We have not left the EU.

"Yes, that is my understanding. Trump has the authority to negotiate trade agreements with third countries. Those agreements need approval by Congress in order to become law. Congress has made clear it will not approve if Ireland is in jeopardy.

That's true. We have not left the EU."

But even when we've left the EU, google maps still won't be able to find jeopardy.

What is wrong with someone who chooses not to drink? You are a person full of prejudice

Please forgive me if I pay no heed to a non-drinkers opinion on the quality of wine and as a consequence form an opinion on the fact that such an individual thinks that his opinion on this matter should be paid attention to

I will also choose not to pay any attention to his opinion on cancer treatment due to him having zero knowledge either through education or experience.

Now tell me about my prejudice again "

There are a shit load of scientists who have never been to space but are experts on it, does that mean they don't know what they are talking about? Of course not, proves your ignorance and prejudice which is rife in tge forums.

"

If policies are introduced that are unacceptable them I will do my best to protest and resist them as do many members of Parliament.

You seem to have democracy in the UK confused with what happens in Russia or Venezuela or Turkey "

I can accept when things don't go my way. Instead of bitching about it and crying like a cissy I get on with life and look for the opportunity that will always arise. Probably why I'm considered successful in all aspects of life.

"Yes, that is my understanding. Trump has the authority to negotiate trade agreements with third countries. Those agreements need approval by Congress in order to become law. Congress has made clear it will not approve if Ireland is in jeopardy."

The United States Congress is meant to be there getting the best interests and deals for American citizens not the citizens of Ireland.

So do you think our tax system should be part of the negotiation with the US to get a "deal in a heartbeat"? "

I think it is down to the negotiators to resolve all issues. Not some people on a swingers site.

"

Why would you accept a bad decision in any aspect of life, especially something as impactful as Brexit? I don't understand that mindset.

In any choice or decision the measure should be in terms of if it's the right thing to do or not. The number of people who voted for it or who made the decision doesn't impact the measure of if it's the right thing to do.

And why would you laugh at people who stand up for what they believe in and who campaign against a stupid decision being made?

Oh and "Project fear", was a term made up by the pro Brexit media to dismiss information that disagreed with their agenda. It's actually meaningless, I didn't think anyone was using it anymore.

"

Read the thread, I didn't bring up project fear. I responded to someone else who did. A staunch remainer too.

"

You seem to have democracy in the UK confused with what happens in Russia or Venezuela or Turkey

I can accept when things don't go my way. Instead of bitching about it and crying like a cissy I get on with life and look for the opportunity that will always arise. Probably why I'm considered successful in all aspects of life."

I propose restecp to your Royal Highness.

"

Read the thread, I didn't bring up project fear. I responded to someone else who did. A staunch remainer too."

Fair enough.

The "project fear" comment wasn't my main point.

So do you think our tax system should be part of the negotiation with the US to get a "deal in a heartbeat"?

I think it is down to the negotiators to resolve all issues. Not some people on a swingers site."

So you don't want to answer a simple question on your opinion, or even more, you don't actually have an opinion?

West London

"Yes, that is my understanding. Trump has the authority to negotiate trade agreements with third countries. Those agreements need approval by Congress in order to become law. Congress has made clear it will not approve if Ireland is in jeopardy..

The United States Congress is meant to be there getting the best interests and deals for American citizens not the citizens of Ireland."

There are a lot of "Irish" voters in America. Not many English ones.

West London

There are a shit load of scientists who have never been to space but are experts on it, does that mean they don't know what they are talking about? Of course not, proves your ignorance and prejudice which is rife in tge forums."

So, just for clarity, you are saying that the non-drinker Trump is an expert on wine?

What a silly argument to try and prove my prejudice over

By the way, what control would we have taken back after the USA has told us our future tax policy in order to get a trade deal?

West London

"

I can accept when things don't go my way. Instead of bitching about it and crying like a cissy I get on with life and look for the opportunity that will always arise. Probably why I'm considered successful in all aspects of life."

If things don't go my way I try to make things go my way on whatever manner seems most appropriate given the circumstances.

I even think about what may be best for society in general rather than what is just best for me.

I blame my upbringing.

I'm not as arrogant or narcissistic as you so I must not be as successful in all aspects of my life

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

"There are a lot of "Irish" voters in America. Not many English ones."

Also America sees the good friday agreement, as their baby, they also see Irelands success as a direct result of their involvement in Ireland.

With the UK gone they will want Ireland to use its veto for them, so they will send EU jobs to Ireland. They will want the Irish economy as strong as possible, are prepared for it to suffer, but they will want to be seen by Ireland to be acting with their interests in mind.

What that will mean is, if its between UK getting an amazing deal that wipes Ireland out, UK getting a good deal that hurts Ireland a little, UK getting an okay deal that benefits Ireland.

They will go for the good or ok deal not the amazing deal.

Think about how important that EU veto is going to be to the US.

"Yes, that is my understanding. Trump has the authority to negotiate trade agreements with third countries. Those agreements need approval by Congress in order to become law. Congress has made clear it will not approve if Ireland is in jeopardy..

The United States Congress is meant to be there getting the best interests and deals for American citizens not the citizens of Ireland.

There are a lot of "Irish" voters in America. Not many English ones."

So what your saying is Irish immigrants to the US would prefer to see Ireland benefit over the country they've emigrated too?.

Interesting

West London

There are a lot of "Irish" voters in America. Not many English ones..

So what your saying is Irish immigrants to the US would prefer to see Ireland benefit over the country they've emigrated too?.

Interesting"

Your logic is flawed. Perhaps too logical and devoid of emotion.

We don't have Brexit due to logic do we?

American politicians want "Irish" immigranta' votes.

"Defending" Ireland will achieve just that.

Bristol East

"

The United States Congress is meant to be there getting the best interests and deals for American citizens not the citizens of Ireland."

The Irish diaspora in the United States is part of the best interests of the United States. Once you understand that, you understand the history of the US role in Ireland. The US is a signatory to the Belfast Agreement.

Bristol East

"

There are a lot of "Irish" voters in America. Not many English ones."

Oh, there's an awful lot of people in the US who could claim to be an English diaspora.

The reason it does not exist is pretty obvious.

Ireland and the United States share a common history of colonial oppression.

Both had to take up arms to forcibly remove the same imperialist occupier and become independent.

Ireland is still a work in progress.

There are a shit load of scientists who have never been to space but are experts on it, does that mean they don't know what they are talking about? Of course not, proves your ignorance and prejudice which is rife in tge forums.

So, just for clarity, you are saying that the non-drinker Trump is an expert on wine?

What a silly argument to try and prove my prejudice over

By the way, what control would we have taken back after the USA has told us our future tax policy in order to get a trade deal?"

You don't have to be an expert to have an opinion, you are a perfect example of that, although you do prove that the opinion can be worthless. You struggle to understand tongue in cheek comments, one which Trump made. As well as self worth you probably need a sense of humour

I think it is down to the negotiators to resolve all issues. Not some people on a swingers site.

So you don't want to answer a simple question on your opinion, or even more, you don't actually have an opinion? "

Again, read my post. It is not down to me. However, they are not talking about taking o er our tax system. There will probably be dis ussion on mutual tax benefits for certain industries, a tariff if you like.

"

I can accept when things don't go my way. Instead of bitching about it and crying like a cissy I get on with life and look for the opportunity that will always arise. Probably why I'm considered successful in all aspects of life.

If things don't go my way I try to make things go my way on whatever manner seems most appropriate given the circumstances.

I even think about what may be best for society in general rather than what is just best for me.

I blame my upbringing.

I'm not as arrogant or narcissistic as you so I must not be as successful in all aspects of my life "

You probably aren't, I don't know of an industry where whiney people succeed over the do'ers who make the most of every opportunity.

West London

So you don't want to answer a simple question on your opinion, or even more, you don't actually have an opinion?

Again, read my post. It is not down to me. However, they are not talking about taking o er our tax system. There will probably be dis ussion on mutual tax benefits for certain industries, a tariff if you like."

Again the superciliousness.

You apparently know what a negotiation is. Well done.

The point is that the demands be made are not those of a country intent on doing a quick deal with us on terms that we will find favourable.

That is the myth that has been spun.

This will be a whole new type of negotiation though, where one party is expected to alter it's domestic tax policy not just import tariffs,market access and regulations.

So, again, under these circumstances what control have we taken back?

That is the point of the thread

West London

"

I blame my upbringing.

I'm not as arrogant or narcissistic as you so I must not be as successful in all aspects of my life

You probably aren't, I don't know of an industry where whiney people succeed over the do'ers who make the most of every opportunity.

"

You seem very taken by your own self regard.

Success comes from questioning and challenging the situation as it stands just as much as finding something new to do or improving the existing process.

Do you find people who question you "whiney"?

You are quite the inspirational leader

I must be a good leader, you keep following me about and commenting on my posts.

I also know a hell of a lot about negotiations as I do it day in day out. Just to let you into a secret, a good negotiation is where both sides walk away with a smile. No one on this site knows what will be on offer at this moment, at present all that is going on is bluster. It means nothing until the important people sit around the table

Sorry to break it to you, sexual devients on a swinging site aren't the important people in these negotiations. So our opinions are worth the square root of fuck all. I look forward to you not understanding what I am saying, coming back spouting the same bollocks and flashing your eyes. As with other people you've done it to, it means you have nothing left

Bristol East

The negotiations are done.

What is on the table is consistent with Mrs May's red lines.

If you want to tear that up and start again, an Article 50 extension is needed.

Johnson has set his own red line that precludes the space to do what he says he wants to do.

By *retty GoodMan  over a year ago

Cardiff Bay

"I must be a good leader, you keep following me about and commenting on my posts.

I also know a hell of a lot about negotiations as I do it day in day out. Just to let you into a secret, a good negotiation is where both sides walk away with a smile. No one on this site knows what will be on offer at this moment, at present all that is going on is bluster. It means nothing until the important people sit around the table

Sorry to break it to you, sexual devients on a swinging site aren't the important people in these negotiations. So our opinions are worth the square root of fuck all. I look forward to you not understanding what I am saying, coming back spouting the same bollocks and flashing your eyes. As with other people you've done it to, it means you have nothing left "

Very very well said, my particular favourite quote of the day was “So our opinions are worth the square root of fuck all.”

"The negotiations are done.

What is on the table is consistent with Mrs May's red lines.

If you want to tear that up and start again, an Article 50 extension is needed.

Johnson has set his own red line that precludes the space to do what he says he wants to do."

We've concluded the US / UK trade deal already I must have slept in that morning and missed it

West London

"I must be a good leader, you keep following me about and commenting on my posts.

Sorry to break it to you, sexual devients on a swinging site aren't the important people in these negotiations. So our opinions are worth the square root of fuck all. I look forward to you not understanding what I am saying, coming back spouting the same bollocks and flashing your eyes. As with other people you've done it to, it means you have nothing left "

I understand what you're saying. You're saying how clever you are

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/04/liz-truss-trade-deal-food-safety-deregulation

"

I also know a hell of a lot about negotiations as I do it day in day out.

No one on this site knows what will be on offer at this moment, at present all that is going on is bluster. It means nothing until the important people sit around the table

"

You're taking a very simple easy to understand question and trying to flip it into something I really don't know what.

Trump said if we the UK don't scrap our digital services tax that's coming into law next year then we can kiss goodbye any Free Trade Agreements with America.

My ever so complicated question was twofold...

1. How do leavers feel about this spanner in the works over getting a FTA with America, an FTA leavers have been banging on about since the referendum.?

America will do a trade deal with us in a heartbeat as if that's the Brexit bonanza.

2. Should we accept the fact that to get a FTA with America we will have to ask or get permission from America as to who and what taxes they will object to incase they refuse us any FTA.

That second point flows off the Brexit mantra of taking back control. How have we taken back control if we allow our supposedly best friends to tell us we can't tax certain sectors in order to get a Trade Agreement with them.

Very simple 2 part question really but if you don't want to give an opinion then that's fine, don’t bother posting but one things for sure, people who start "bragging" about their supposed personal circumstances online are generally a million miles away from their so called successes in day to day life

West London

"

You're taking a very simple easy to understand question and trying to flip it into something I really don't know what.

Trump said if we the UK don't scrap our digital services tax that's coming into law next year then we can kiss goodbye any Free Trade Agreements with America.

My ever so complicated question was twofold...

1. How do leavers feel about this spanner in the works over getting a FTA with America, an FTA leavers have been banging on about since the referendum.?

America will do a trade deal with us in a heartbeat as if that's the Brexit bonanza.

2. Should we accept the fact that to get a FTA with America we will have to ask or get permission from America as to who and what taxes they will object to incase they refuse us any FTA.

That second point flows off the Brexit mantra of taking back control. How have we taken back control if we allow our supposedly best friends to tell us we can't tax certain sectors in order to get a Trade Agreement with them.

Very simple 2 part question really but if you don't want to give an opinion then that's fine, don’t bother posting but one things for sure, people who start "bragging" about their supposed personal circumstances online are generally a million miles away from their so called successes in day to day life "

I thought that my post was fairly concise and expressed both of those points.

Clearly not

Interesting that none of the normal Brexiteers are posting on this.

The only person with a strong opinion didn't even understand the context let alone respond to the question

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

I will respond trade deals are exactly what they say they start talking about what they want and what they dont want then come to some consensus.Speculation by newspaper are exactly that speculation and to be honest its not worth commenting on.I know it gives you a hard on but you should be intelligent enough to see that the media whichever version whip up speculation to keep people like you keep coming back.Personally if you would like to discuss what you like or dont like once its done i will be happy to but i dont pander to speculations and i guess most brexiteers are the same hence non posting on it.

"I will respond trade deals are exactly what they say they start talking about what they want and what they dont want then come to some consensus.Speculation by newspaper are exactly that speculation and to be honest its not worth commenting on.I know it gives you a hard on but you should be intelligent enough to see that the media whichever version whip up speculation to keep people like you keep coming back.Personally if you would like to discuss what you like or dont like once its done i will be happy to but i dont pander to speculations and i guess most brexiteers are the same hence non posting on it. "

So Trumps tweets and Whitehouse officials are now just newspaper speculations, OK

Asking a question doesn't give me a hard on, does it you?

West London

"I will respond trade deals are exactly what they say they start talking about what they want and what they dont want then come to some consensus.Speculation by newspaper are exactly that speculation and to be honest its not worth commenting on.I know it gives you a hard on but you should be intelligent enough to see that the media whichever version whip up speculation to keep people like you keep coming back.Personally if you would like to discuss what you like or dont like once its done i will be happy to but i dont pander to speculations and i guess most brexiteers are the same hence non posting on it. "

So how did you make a decision on Brexit?

"I will respond trade deals are exactly what they say they start talking about what they want and what they dont want then come to some consensus.Speculation by newspaper are exactly that speculation and to be honest its not worth commenting on.I know it gives you a hard on but you should be intelligent enough to see that the media whichever version whip up speculation to keep people like you keep coming back.Personally if you would like to discuss what you like or dont like once its done i will be happy to but i dont pander to speculations and i guess most brexiteers are the same hence non posting on it.

So how did you make a decision on Brexit?"

Don't ask them awkward questions, they either avoid topics that show their so called Brexit bonuses are not what they've claimed or resort to rambling and making no sense.

In this case their avoiding confronting their claims that are now falling to pieces but they'll soon enough jump back in if Trump drops his stance and reverses his previous statements

Well put, some will not understand that though. Too busy believing everything they read as gospel.

"I will respond trade deals are exactly what they say they start talking about what they want and what they dont want then come to some consensus.Speculation by newspaper are exactly that speculation and to be honest its not worth commenting on.I know it gives you a hard on but you should be intelligent enough to see that the media whichever version whip up speculation to keep people like you keep coming back.Personally if you would like to discuss what you like or dont like once its done i will be happy to but i dont pander to speculations and i guess most brexiteers are the same hence non posting on it.

Well put, some will not understand that though. Too busy believing everything they read as gospel."

So because it may go against your narrative things should just be dismissed? and if it does go against your narrative by hell you avoid giving an answer and instead try and put people down for simply putting a question out there.

It was only a discussion on a political forum, a topic at the top of the Brexit discussion, a promise by leave that we'd have a FTA with the US in a heartbeat but now going by the horses fingers on twitter "Trump" he's saying ANYONE taxing America companies will suffer to one degree or another, but all you can do is call it speculation, lol

Trump may change his mind but all we can go on currently is what he has said so far but you're unable to discuss it properly and just try and make a feeble insult at the person putting the question out there...

It's quite fucking pathetic really

Sony has a new high priced 35mm 1.8 lens@ $700+, the high price sony claims is from the trump import tax.

Sony and a few other manufacturers are projecting huge sales deficits,due to US hiking up import taxes on China(where some cameras and components are manufactured),this will most likely also include many different types of products that we take for granted.I doubt whether trump will like his uk puppets buying from china at cheaper costs.

Think about how many things in your home have chinese components,even if you think of them being made elsewhere.

Bristol East

Trump has one objective - to strengthen America at the expense of everyone else.

Just as the negotiation between the UK and the EU is not a negotiation of equals, neither will any discussion between the US and the UK.

It's the football equivalent of a five-a-side team playing Liverpool.

Look around the world, and see how Trump is waging economic warfare with one single objective in mind - to increase the purchase of American goods and reduce the purchase of non-American goods.

Those who believe otherwise are buying into more deluded rhetoric from the Brexit cheerleaders, I'm afraid.

"Sony has a new high priced 35mm 1.8 lens@ $700+, the high price sony claims is from the trump import tax.

Sony and a few other manufacturers are projecting huge sales deficits,due to US hiking up import taxes on China(where some cameras and components are manufactured),this will most likely also include many different types of products that we take for granted.I doubt whether trump will like his uk puppets buying from china at cheaper costs.

Think about how many things in your home have chinese components,even if you think of them being made elsewhere. "

The first people that get hurt by Trumps trade war is his own population

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"The first people that get hurt by Trumps trade war is his own population "

China has just signed a soya bean deal with Brazil after ordering all state companies to stop buying US agricultural products so that market is lost to US farmers. That was a $27,000,000,000 export market in 2016 that is no worth zero.

He is doing to USA Corp. what he has done to every business he has taken over, he is bankrupting it to enrich himself (as I predicted).

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"Trump has one objective - to strengthen America at the expense of everyone else.

Just as the negotiation between the UK and the EU is not a negotiation of equals, neither will any discussion between the US and the UK.

It's the football equivalent of a five-a-side team playing Liverpool.

Look around the world, and see how Trump is waging economic warfare with one single objective in mind - to increase the purchase of American goods and reduce the purchase of non-American goods.

Those who believe otherwise are buying into more deluded rhetoric from the Brexit cheerleaders, I'm afraid.

"

Blaming the Federal Reserve now for keeping the dollar strong, thus reducing the competitiveness of American exports.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

So sad. Even worse that mugs think the UK will get a great deal, rather than being seen as desperate and being in the weakest possible position.

"So sad. Even worse that mugs think the UK will get a great deal, rather than being seen as desperate and being in the weakest possible position. "

It's definitely going to be interesting to see all the Brexit promises come to fruition if we no deal

Bristol East

"We hold all the cards . . . easiest deal in history . . . etc"

[Removed by poster at 09/08/19 11:29:39]

Anyone who thinks that the USA is going to be the great trading partner needs their bumps felt and a good whoop upside the head

He says it every time put America first.

The clues are all there

"Anyone who thinks that the USA is going to be the great trading partner needs their bumps felt and a good whoop upside the head

He says it every time put America first.

The clues are all there "

Be careful about being given a good whoop upside the head.... if it needs NHS treatment, America will ride to the rescue and shorten the A&E waiting times.

Nancy Pelosi- leader of the Democrats said that any deal that endangers the good Friday agreement will not be passed in Congress. The democrats are in the majority and with 50 million Irish Americans in the US- they forming a massive voting block and lobby.

The deal is going to take years to negotiate

Today's news that the US has put UK top of the trade list is interesting. With all the sanctions going on and the conditions it has put in place I wonder if it has more to do with preventing the UK making deals with China. So adding to the sanctions indirectly towards China.

On a side note it seems American tech companies are finding the pinch as unlike Huawei they didn't have foresight to quickly stockpile stock. Huawei have also now got an alternative to Android and Google, HarmonyOS, a multi-platform operating system.

It would seem Trump has back peddled in order not to cause some companies to go into liquidation as they don't have anywhere near the same reserves, foresight or backing that Huawei have.

Bristol East

Since Trump declared war on China, the trade deficit has widened, not reduced. Consumers in US are buying just as much as ever from China but Chinese consumers have switched to suppliers in Europe and Asia. Trump has succeeded only in making his problem worse.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Good job Obama has gone we would be back of the queue.

Bristol East

There are 3 global trading blocs.

China, the USA and the EU.

If you are not writing their rules, you are following them.

UK was one of 28 writing the EU rules but decided we did not want that.

So that leaves us following China, US or EU.

Follow the US rules and trade with the EU becomes increasingly difficult, and vice versa.

Given the country voted to turn it's back on being part of EU rules, one must assume the Brexiteers see the future of the UK as an offshore trading post of Trump's USA.

That is not a negotiation of equals either.

However, unlike the EU, the USA will have no qualms about using it's much greater trade clout to extract political concessions in areas such as foreign policy e.g. Iran and China.

The UK will not be in much of a position to resist, given its economic isolation from Nov 1.

Donald Trump’s national security adviser, John Bolton has now started about trade talks....

The US National security adviser and trade.....

" John Bolton doesn’t do free trade. He does regime change in countries such as North Korea, Venezuela and Cuba. He does military interventions, notoriously in Afghanistan in 2001, Iraq in 2003 and Libya. "

Is this a preemptive shot across the deck to the UK "follow our lead against Iran & China and we'll throw you a bone"?

Interesting times indeed

Bristol East

The price, to be blunt, will be outsourcing UK foreign policy to Washington.

Trump's bitch, basically.

"The price, to be blunt, will be outsourcing UK foreign policy to Washington.

"

We said this a long time ago but was shouted down

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Nancy Pelosi- leader of the Democrats said that any deal that endangers the good Friday agreement will not be passed in Congress. The democrats are in the majority and with 50 million Irish Americans in the US- they forming a massive voting block and lobby.

The deal is going to take years to negotiate "

I heard that on the news today. 50 million “Irish Americans” - add those to the god knows how many more around the world and you can’t help but wonder about the mere 4 million or so who live on the island of Ireland.

Cardiff Bay

"

So Great Britain the states biggest alias and who holds the greatest history will be there bitch ? Lol

Pretty certain ( but can’t back this up ) the states will want us to remain a power and not bleed us dry, why would they want too ? Wouldn’t make any sense surly

"Pretty certain ( but can’t back this up ) the states will want us to remain a power and not bleed us dry, why would they want too ? Wouldn’t make any sense surly "

Can you imagine the profits they'd make off roughly 65+ Million people being forced into private healthcare when the NHS is stripped down? It's a complete goldmine for investors and stockholders, and as we've seen from the current American government, short term bursts are a good thing and we can let later generations sort out the problems.

So by that logic, putting the UK through 5 or so years of American style private healthcare would generate multiple billions for these people.

By *exyFunAshWoman  over a year ago

Mansfield

A trade deal with trumps America will cripple this country.

It will systematically destroy the NHS for one and will plunge hundreds of people and families into a poverty stricken state.

The most vulnerable will suffer even more.

Grantham

"A trade deal with trumps America will cripple this country.

It will systematically destroy the NHS for one and will plunge hundreds of people and families into a poverty stricken state.

The most vulnerable will suffer even more. "

But no facts to back this up?

By *exyFunAshWoman  over a year ago

Mansfield

"A trade deal with trumps America will cripple this country.

The most vulnerable will suffer even more.

But no facts to back this up? "

The US negotiating objectives document runs to 17 pages but only contains one explicit reference to medicine, saying America wants to “ensure that government regulatory reimbursement regimes are transparent, provide procedural fairness, are non-discriminatory, and provide full market access for US products.”

It’s not yet clear what this means in detail, but the focus on pharmaceuticals is potentially worrying, because President Trump and his Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar have threatened to use trade talks to try to push up drug prices outside America.

Their argument is that US pharmaceutical companies often charge American customers much more than clients in Europe and elsewhere.

It’s because large state-funded health services like the NHS have massive bargaining power. They buy drugs in enormous amounts and are good at negotiating discounts from the pharma companies.

In America, healthcare provision is much more fractured and there is no central agency bargaining with the drug companies, so they often get away with charging higher prices.

The Trump administration describesthis as foreign countries “freeloading” at America’s expense. It reasons that US drug companies have to charge US patients more because their profits are being squeezed outside America, thanks to public health systems like the NHS.

So unusually, Mr Trump doesn’t just want US consumers to pay less for their drugs – he wants people in other countries to pay more, in the belief that this is the key to cutting prices in America.

All of this is a concern for some trade experts, because they think post-Brexit Britain will be the underdog in trade negotiations with the US, and might be compelled to take a hit on drug pricing to get an overall deal across the line.

The country with the bigger market usually has the upper hand and tries to put its own interests first, and there is little indication that President Trump will try to do Britain any favours on trade.

So the fear is that President Trump could use trade negotiations to try to force the NHS to pay higher prices for American drugs.

That’s not the same thing as individual British patients having to pay for drugs that they now get for free on the NHS, but it would obviously have serious implications for the NHS budget.

Grantham

President Trump has his own Pharmaceutical companies in his sights.

He's trying to get legislation through to allow the import of cheaper Canadian drugs into the USA. The Canadians are naturally incensed by this.

I think that he sees cheaper medicines as a vote winner.

The NHS buys drugs worldwide within the constraints of commerciality and safety guidelines. There are already many products that they refuse to source from the US on price. Pharmaceutical companies often spend billions developing new products and guard the patents safely. They also need to recoup the development costs. Unfortunately the upfront monies needed, means that only very rich countries, such as the USA are able to operate in this field.

North West

So Great Britain the states biggest alias and who holds the greatest history will be there bitch ? Lol

Pretty certain ( but can’t back this up ) the states will want us to remain a power and not bleed us dry, why would they want too ? Wouldn’t make any sense surly "

You have not been paying attention have you?

Recent FACTUAL events.

1) US wants more support on Iranian sanctions - do you think there may be pressure to support them?

2) US wants more help with sanctions against China. What do you think might happen with regards to UK/China trade as a sub paragraph of any UK/US trade deal?

3) US does not want its tech companies "unfairly" taxed. Do you think this will be reflected in any US trade deal?

4) Trump suggested that Theresa May should sue the EU. Why do you think? Could it be that any future US trade deal will be ultimately governed by US law and thus opening up the UK to US style lawsuit business strategies?

In ALL weighted trade deals, the junior partner is ultimately the bitch. The more desperate, the more cuckolded they become.

Bristol East

Interesting to see the US Treasury is about to blacklist China General Nuclear.

CGN is 33% partner with EDF Energy for the construction of Hinkley Point C and Sizewell C, and 66% partner with EDF Energy for the construction of Bradwell B.

Cardiff Bay

Pretty certain ( but can’t back this up ) the states will want us to remain a power and not bleed us dry, why would they want too ? Wouldn’t make any sense surly

You have not been paying attention have you?

Recent FACTUAL events.

1) US wants more support on Iranian sanctions - do you think there may be pressure to support them?

2) US wants more help with sanctions against China. What do you think might happen with regards to UK/China trade as a sub paragraph of any UK/US trade deal?

3) US does not want its tech companies "unfairly" taxed. Do you think this will be reflected in any US trade deal?

4) Trump suggested that Theresa May should sue the EU. Why do you think? Could it be that any future US trade deal will be ultimately governed by US law and thus opening up the UK to US style lawsuit business strategies?

In ALL weighted trade deals, the junior partner is ultimately the bitch. The more desperate, the more cuckolded they become."

Ok cool, I can put my hand up if I’m wrong as I said I had nothing to back up my opinion so thank you for those points.

Will look more into this tonight as don’t know much about all this at all, so thank you

Cardiff Bay

As I’ve said I know very little on this and can see that he originally said everything was on the table concerning a trade deal.

Does look since mind he has done a u turn or at least clarified his stance on the NHS in an interview on Good Morning Britain

DONALD Trump has insisted the NHS would not be on the table in a Brexit trade deal after sparking a massive row.

The US President rowed back on his suggestion that access for US firms to the NHS must be part of trade talks in an interview with Piers Morgan.

When the Good Morning Britain host asked whether the NHS would be discussed as part of the trade negotiations, Mr Trump said: “I don’t see it being on the table.

“Somebody asked me a question today and I said everything’s up for negotiation because everything is.

“But I don’t see that as being… that’s not something that I would consider being part of trade. That’s not trade.”

Did he explain why supplying the NHS doesn't count as trade?

Wait and see I believe is the phrase ppl use here...

Bristol East

Re the NHS, his ambassador said it was "on the table" during his Sunday TV interview.

These interviews are always scripted - the tough questions are rehearsed and the "lines to take" agreed with the speaker.

A day or so later, Trump uses exactly the same phrase.

Exactly the same script.

There is a political outcry.

My guess is he asked one of his chums in the UK - Farage and his ilk - what was wrong?

Cue a hurriedly-arranged interview where he changes tune to take the sting out of the issue.

Anyone who think the NHS isn't "on the table" really ought to be seeking the services of a doctor themselves.

North West

"As I’ve said I know very little on this and can see that he originally said everything was on the table concerning a trade deal.

Does look since mind he has done a u turn or at least clarified his stance on the NHS in an interview on Good Morning Britain

DONALD Trump has insisted the NHS would not be on the table in a Brexit trade deal after sparking a massive row.

The US President rowed back on his suggestion that access for US firms to the NHS must be part of trade talks in an interview with Piers Morgan.

When the Good Morning Britain host asked whether the NHS would be discussed as part of the trade negotiations, Mr Trump said: “I don’t see it being on the table.

“Somebody asked me a question today and I said everything’s up for negotiation because everything is.

“But I don’t see that as being… that’s not something that I would consider being part of trade. That’s not trade.”

"

It is common knowledge in the US that we Brits are desperately seeking help to reform our crumbling socialist healthcare system. US healthcare professionals are ready to help turn the decaying socialist system that we have to endure now into something as good as theirs.

It is no surprise that in unguarded moments Americans will answer positively about an NHS intervention because they actually believe that it is something that we want.

here

We have such affection for a service that is badly managed that seems to need a bottomless pit of our money just to keep it running, for better or worse.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"It is common knowledge in the US that we Brits are desperately seeking help to reform our crumbling socialist healthcare system. US healthcare professionals are ready to help turn the decaying socialist system that we have to endure now into something as good as theirs.

It is no surprise that in unguarded moments Americans will answer positively about an NHS intervention because they actually believe that it is something that we want."

Ah yes, that wonderful US healthcare business where 40,000,000 Americans can't afford any healthcare insurance, an ambulance trip to a hospital costs around $2,000, there is no cap on pharmaceutical prices and most US citizens who live close enough to Canada or Mexico travel to buy their prescription medicines! That would also be the great insurance healthcare system where even if you do have insurance it only covers part of your medical bills and only if it is not a preexisting condition. The system that causes an estimated 530,000 families turn to bankruptcy each year because of medical issues and bills, that's 66.5% of the total bankruptcies in the US annually.

Yep, can't wait for us all to get a piece of that pie!

Help!!!!.. they are just looking to make money.

Do you know how much healthcare costs outside the UK and worse again how expensive it is in the US.

The worst thing is that hedge funds are already banking on it.

One of this countries greatest assets and achievements and lauded on the side of the bus during the referendum campaign is about to be sold off by those who claimed to be protecting it from the EU.

There is only so much gaslighting the British public can take.....

Bristol East

The last bastion of socialism left in the UK.

The only one of five pillars of the 1942 Beveridge Report still left standing.

It's why the hard right hate it.

here

NHS is No longer fit for purpose

Needs to a good shake to get rid of inefficiency, waste and top heavy management.

Chucking money at it doesn’t make it better.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"NHS is No longer fit for purpose

Needs to a good shake to get rid of inefficiency, waste and top heavy management.

Chucking money at it doesn’t make it better.

"

you're right.... but that also doesn't mean that having the US system is any better... bearing in mind they pay more for the actual drugs being used than we do in the uk...

the US system is still about the Bottomline and not about the Patients.... I'd still rather have a system that for all its faults is "patient" focused rather than "shareholder" focused.....

What he said

here

I’m not sure it’s about a complete change of the fundamentals of the NHS.

If a private health company can provide excellent approved, regulated care to parts of the NHS, and it’s efficient and cost effective - why not pay that company to deliver it?

I believe there are some instances of this already happening within the system.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I’m not sure it’s about a complete change of the fundamentals of the NHS.

If a private health company can provide excellent approved, regulated care to parts of the NHS, and it’s efficient and cost effective - why not pay that company to deliver it?

"

it does... for example there are private wards and private rooms for example in NHS hospitals

and if you are going private then those companies can charge the nhs for you to "jump queues" so to speak.....

but i wouldn't ever want people to go bankrupt because they had to cover healthcare bills, which isn't an uncommon occurance in the states....

here

"I’m not sure it’s about a complete change of the fundamentals of the NHS.

it does... for example there are private wards and private rooms for example in NHS hospitals

and if you are going private then those companies can charge the nhs for you to "jump queues" so to speak.....

but i wouldn't ever want people to go bankrupt because they had to cover healthcare bills, which isn't an uncommon occurance in the states....

"

But that’s something completely different - being charged for treatment

That’s not what is being suggested

"We have such affection for a service that is badly managed that seems to need a bottomless pit of our money just to keep it running, for better or worse.

"

And yet we don't have to worry about paying £8,000+ for an Ambulance ride in an emergency that our private health might possibly not cover. I'd call that a win.

[Removed by poster at 15/08/19 19:10:40]

and theres more..

So trump also passing a bill that was protecting wildlife,it's now deemed they have to be proven economically just.So one of his partners(former oil lobbyist),is in charge.You might think it sounds like a well meant change,I however believe its just another backdoor approach to justify more oil drilling.

trump and his cronies dont want any greenery when they can only see green see dollar signs,regardless of scientists telling them about biodiversity etc,the only thing I'd say Trump likes about nature is building gold courses and hotels for pure profit.

» Add a new message to this topic