FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > What does the Queen actually do?

What does the Queen actually do?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *sianManc OP   Man  over a year ago

Manchester

Following on from a post on the Queen I thought I would ask the obvious.

Some actual, insightful responses with specific facts, evidences and examples would really help.

I know some may still read the above and say "well she helps with trade" but that's the usual answer that's sold without any cold hard facts.

Just wondering what if anyone can provide to this as its got me thinking. I'm not for or against the monarchy just seeking some answers as an indifferent member of society

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

The royal family has survived the rise of democracy in a way that no other absolute ruler of a comparable country has.

Think of the US, of France, of Russia.

All have risen up and thrown off the rule.

In the UK, over centuries, the royal family ceded more and more power in exchange for holding onto their privileges.

So today, we pay them tens of millions of £ a year to perform largely constitutional and ceremonial functions.

I do not believe it is titular, however.

Because behind the pomp and ceremony, there are powers, real powers, which theoretically they can exercise.

I say theoretically because the current monarch is wise enough to know never to exercise them.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

What I want to know is how much the hangers on cost ...as they keep knocking out chavies...the net gets wider and they seem to cost more and more ...is it worth it ...

By *retty GoodMan  over a year ago

Cardiff Bay

"What I want to know is how much the hangers on cost ...as they keep knocking out chavies...the net gets wider and they seem to cost more and more ...is it worth it ..."

Just a quick internet search it states that if your a tax payer it will cost you 69p per year

Only done a quick search mind

canterbury

68p too much then ...my 1p goes to the queen the rest can f__k off....hangers on and low lifes

Cardiff Bay

"68p too much then ...my 1p goes to the queen the rest can f__k off....hangers on and low lifes"

Well seeming how much they bring in for the economy it’s 69p well spent, they bring in far more than they cost

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"68p too much then ...my 1p goes to the queen the rest can f__k off....hangers on and low lifes

Well seeming how much they bring in for the economy it’s 69p well spent, they bring in far more than they cost "

I agree, it’s 69p very well spent ..although I suspect the swords are already drawn

The force is strong in this one I take my hat off to you

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

She doesn't do anything. Which is exactly what she's meant to do. She's smart enough to know that.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"68p too much then ...my 1p goes to the queen the rest can f__k off....hangers on and low lifes

Well seeming how much they bring in for the economy it’s 69p well spent, they bring in far more than they cost "

That's not how we do these things. We look at the cost and the cost only. We'd get the tourism anyway. People aren't not going to go on holiday. Stop putting this country down. Etc etc

Cardiff Bay

Well seeming how much they bring in for the economy it’s 69p well spent, they bring in far more than they cost

That's not how we do these things. We look at the cost and the cost only. We'd get the tourism anyway. People aren't not going to go on holiday. Stop putting this country down. Etc etc "

Well I don’t mind chipping in 69p a year anyway

By *rthur WrightusMan  over a year ago

Round the Bend

and if you had the alternative of a President with another set of flunkies running around how much do you think that would cost ? Far more I would think, especially if we ended up with a Trump

Cardiff Bay

"and if you had the alternative of a President with another set of flunkies running around how much do you think that would cost ? Far more I would think, especially if we ended up with a Trump"

Well I would 100% want trump sorting out brexit than boris

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

In thinking of cost, it's not just the payments are make for them but all the other money that is added, to get the effective costa of them. Taxes not paid, other income that would belong to the country and not the family, the accumulated wealth that was derived from the citizens and the debts owed to the nation because the people were deprived and held in poverty. If that was for one generation, £millions would be a debt owed to each of you. But that family enslaved generations past to ensure their own survival. They should be the minimum wage servants of the people, once they have repaid damages to each and every person. And that's being generous to them. There's also a huge psychological cost, where people grow up being indoctrinated that you are inferior.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"She doesn't do anything. Which is exactly what she's meant to do. She's smart enough to know that."
She gives Britain a good image,earns us lots of currency,A lot of the family members do much good work bringing our attention to many things,they are a great institution

Bristol East

Number of foreign visitors to France (which abolished monarchy) - 85 million a year

Number of foreign visitors to UK (which thinks monarchy is a tourism money-spinner) - 41 million a year.

She’s pinned a fair few medals on my chest over the years . Cheers Lizzie xx

You have to ask what would you replace her with, and how much would that cost. Just look at USA and France and I rest my case.

By *ibblingnewtWoman  over a year ago

by the sea

My guess is

A normal day is start with her secretary and advisers she reads and reply’s to mail, then a nice mid morning walk in her lavish grounds followed by tea in the drawing room with phill, speaks to her kids on the phone, bite of lunch then into her chauffeur driven luxury car or her private plane or private train to open a hospital wing or a dinner with someone important, then back to one of her castles for a warm milk and a digestive biscuit and tucked into bed.

Quite a lot I’d imagine for a lady over 90, she must be done in now

By *acavityMan  over a year ago

Redditch

"and if you had the alternative of a President with another set of flunkies running around how much do you think that would cost ? Far more I would think, especially if we ended up with a Trump

Well I would 100% want trump sorting out brexit than boris "

Because declaring the country bankrupt, pocketing the national insurance fund and selling us to Russia, is the best deal, the greatest deal ever. Not many people know that Brexit is about leaving the EU, which is full of bad hombres.

By *acavityMan  over a year ago

Redditch

I like that the head of state is neutral, and not a political position.

America is tearing itself apart, with people who said 'not my president' when Obama was in, now the Democrats are doing with Trump.

Make America Great British Again

"You have to ask what would you replace her with, and how much would that cost. Just look at USA and France and I rest my case. "

She's an unelected person who imposes rules on us. Surely it's worth it whatever the cost?

By *bandjam91Couple  over a year ago

London

"and if you had the alternative of a President with another set of flunkies running around how much do you think that would cost ? Far more I would think, especially if we ended up with a Trump

Well I would 100% want trump sorting out brexit than boris "

Well thankfully that's never going to happen.

Cardiff Bay

Well I would 100% want trump sorting out brexit than boris

Well thankfully that's never going to happen."

And more the pity

"Following on from a post on the Queen I thought I would ask the obvious.

Some actual, insightful responses with specific facts, evidences and examples would really help.

I know some may still read the above and say "well she helps with trade" but that's the usual answer that's sold without any cold hard facts.

Just wondering what if anyone can provide to this as its got me thinking. I'm not for or against the monarchy just seeking some answers as an indifferent member of society "

She gets up, does a poop, goes back to bed, gets up again, has marmalade on toast, says hello to the corgis and gives them the burnt crusty bits. Then she goes to a London studio to pose for plastic casts of her holding a handbag whilst waving with one hand and holding a solar panel with the other. After a salmon pate lunch, she enters the secret cellars of Buck Pal where she rendezvous with her husband to carry out reptilian shape-shifting rituals. After traversing the secret underground tunnels to Avalon via Parliament, she then has High Tea with Princess Margaret. They share the latest gossip about Andy and "that" blithering red head.

After that, she heads off back home in a pumpkin for an early nightcap of Austrian Schnapps.

Hope that helps?

Manchester

So the queen does something then?lol

"Number of foreign visitors to France (which abolished monarchy) - 85 million a year

Number of foreign visitors to UK (which thinks monarchy is a tourism money-spinner) - 41 million a year.

"

While the Monarchy brings in more money to the economy than it costs us then I'm all for it

Well we don't have the Weather and climate like France has to draw in tourists so I'm not surprised at the difference in visiting numbers.

France is about twice as big as the UK

France has the Eiffel Tower & The Avenue des Champs-Élysées

We've got Blackpool Tower & Bonny Street Market

France has Nice, Cannes with Monaco next door

We've got Ingoldmells, Skegness and Belfast "sort of next door"

I think we do ok

Bristol East

"Number of foreign visitors to France (which abolished monarchy) - 85 million a year

While the Monarchy brings in more money to the economy than it costs us then I'm all for it "

The pomp and ceremony, the palaces, the tradition, yes, I can believe visitors love that stuff.

France did not get rid of any of that, understandably.

If you measure the occupant of the office by how popular they are with foreigners, you are coming at this from the wrong direction.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

France has 6 other European countries with land borders, making it easier to get to.

What percentage of those 85 million visitors just went to Euro Disney?

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

Regarding the Royal Family ,, I wonder why Farage thinks Harry had "fell off a cliff" after he married the lady he loves ? ...,, and I still wonder why our then Home Secrerary ( now Chancellor ) was not invited to Buckingham Palace for dinner with the President of U.S.A ?

Bristol East

Well, if the primary purpose of a head of state is commercial, you really have sold the jersey.

If raising cash is your criteria, how about the Quatar Airways Palace or the next wedding sponsored by Gregg's?

Manchester

She must serve a purpose to be queen surely

"Well, if the primary purpose of a head of state is commercial, you really have sold the jersey.

If raising cash is your criteria, how about the Quatar Airways Palace or the next wedding sponsored by Gregg's?

"

Well my view is the Royal Family are next to useless unless they bring in the tourists.

"Well, if the primary purpose of a head of state is commercial, you really have sold the jersey.

"

Well my view is the Royal Family are next to useless unless they bring in the tourists.

She rules the beehive

Bristol East

As much as I detest the idea of hereditary privilege, especially when it is at the highest level of state, I do take my hat off to lil' ole' queenie.

She did not ask for the job but she did what was expected and, from everything I can see, has performed the role with professionalism and dignity.

She is still trying to do it at the age of 92, which to me underlines the stupidity of hereditary rule. She isn't allowed to retire, poor soul.

canterbury

If she retired...look what we would get ....Charles....what a total waste of space ..no credibility what so ever ..or Willy even more lazy and tosser ...so best bet she lives to 150 years old

Manchester

"As much as I detest the idea of hereditary privilege, especially when it is at the highest level of state, I do take my hat off to lil' ole' queenie.

She did not ask for the job but she did what was expected and, from everything I can see, has performed the role with professionalism and dignity.

She is still trying to do it at the age of 92, which to me underlines the stupidity of hereditary rule. She isn't allowed to retire, poor soul."

Well if she didn't wouldn't her family have lost all its gained wealth and privileges as owners of the UK?

Manchester

"If she retired...look what we would get ....Charles....what a total waste of space ..no credibility what so ever ..or Willy even more lazy and tosser ...so best bet she lives to 150 years old"

Charles isn't that bad Is he?

Bristol East

"If she retired...look what we would get ....Charles....what a total waste of space ..no credibility what so ever ..or Willy even more lazy and tosser ...so best bet she lives to 150 years old

Charles isn't that bad Is he? "

Nigel Farage doesn't like him.

So maybe he ain't so bad after all.

Manchester

"If she retired...look what we would get ....Charles....what a total waste of space ..no credibility what so ever ..or Willy even more lazy and tosser ...so best bet she lives to 150 years old

Charles isn't that bad Is he?

Nigel Farage doesn't like him.

So maybe he ain't so bad after all.

"

Lmao

canterbury

After Harry today again ....see I'm right total wankers ...xx

upton wirral

"You have to ask what would you replace her with, and how much would that cost. Just look at USA and France and I rest my case.

She's an unelected person who imposes rules on us. Surely it's worth it whatever the cost? "

What rules?

"You have to ask what would you replace her with, and how much would that cost. Just look at USA and France and I rest my case.

She's an unelected person who imposes rules on us. Surely it's worth it whatever the cost? What rules?"

Every new law we have is hers. She's the only one with the power to add a new law to the law book.

upton wirral

She's an unelected person who imposes rules on us. Surely it's worth it whatever the cost? What rules?

Every new law we have is hers. She's the only one with the power to add a new law to the law book. "

She just agrees to government rules it is a convention

Bristol East

And the only individual in the whole kingdom who is immune from prosecution, i.e. she is above the law.

Manchester

What power does she have if she doesn't make any laws or rules but parliament do?

Bristol East

"What power does she have if she doesn't make any laws or rules but parliament do?"

Well, if by good fortune you catch a whale or a sturgeon in your net around the coast of Britain, the law says it belongs to Queenie, not you.

By *ibblingnewtWoman  over a year ago

by the sea

She is the head of all government bodies

She has unlimited powers

She can in theory sack Boris

She can declare war

But of course she doesn’t do anything like that as she is not a dictator, no one person should ever actually have those powers but being the head of a country she has by birthright, she does more good than anyone else has in history in the monarch

But she is old and I didn’t fancy anyone filling her boots

It’s time to totally change the royal family, the total powers should go

She rules side by side with the government and always has and it works well, I think the treat of the Guillotine after the French Revolution made the royal family sit up and think

canterbury

No she is the head of a shite family ...above the law and a bunch of chavs....I bet she sometimes wonders what she has done wrong with some of them

To a good proportion of The Commonwealth (not everybody I know ..but still millions of people) she is an honorable person and somebody with integrity and good values. Like it or not that is how she is perceived and many many people look up to her. So what's wrong with that?

"What power does she have if she doesn't make any laws or rules but parliament do?

Well, if by good fortune you catch a whale or a sturgeon in your net around the coast of Britain, the law says it belongs to Queenie, not you.

"

so do some breeds of Swans but they're still getting caught and eaten by certain groups of people who dont know its illegal !

By *atonMan  over a year ago

barnet

Outdated archaic and undemocratic ..should be long gone . How can you be deferential to anyone because of an accident of birth? If they behaved with some sort of integrity that there lofty positions require ok but they are a bunch of free loading hypocritical parasites and any revenue they allegedly bring in dosnt mitigate.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"Outdated archaic and undemocratic ..should be long gone . How can you be deferential to anyone because of an accident of birth? If they behaved with some sort of integrity that there lofty positions require ok but they are a bunch of free loading hypocritical parasites and any revenue they allegedly bring in dosnt mitigate."

"Outdated archaic and undemocratic ..should be long gone . How can you be deferential to anyone because of an accident of birth? If they behaved with some sort of integrity that there lofty positions require ok but they are a bunch of free loading hypocritical parasites and any revenue they allegedly bring in dosnt mitigate."

you do make a good point but the Ops question was about the Queen.. I think you can separate the Queen.. as she has kept her dignity throughout her families shenanigans. and even if she wasn't the queen but an ordinary pensioner she would still have my respect .

barnet

Granted she seems a reasonable human being . Her sons are all tossers of the highest order not surprising really given the Duke is probably the most charm bereft human being I can think of and patriarchal integrity is in short supply . The grand sons are not much better . She must be so proud .

barnet

The only decent one is princess Anne. Does more work and raises more than the rest put together but not eulogised because shes not a glamour puss. The worst thing is the grotesque riding the gravy train. Pippa , fergie's offspring and the rest.

She’s the last queen .

She's an unelected person who imposes rules on us. Surely it's worth it whatever the cost? What rules?

Every new law we have is hers. She's the only one with the power to add a new law to the law book. She just agrees to government rules it is a convention"

I know.

But saying she sets the rules is as daft as saying unelected EU officials do. Both ruleaneed to be voted through by elected members (teehee). Just because someone who is unelected is involved doesn't make it undemocratic.

» Add a new message to this topic