FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > I would do anything to stop BREXIT (but I won't do that)

I would do anything to stop BREXIT (but I won't do that)

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *imiUK OP   Man  over a year ago

Newbury

So, despite campaigning to stop BREXIT at whatever cost, it looks like "at any cost" doesn't mean working with Corbyn.

Seems Swinson would only stop BREXIT if it means an alliance with the Tories....

Ah, the LibDems and their "principles"....

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"So, despite campaigning to stop BREXIT at whatever cost, it looks like "at any cost" doesn't mean working with Corbyn.

Seems Swinson would only stop BREXIT if it means an alliance with the Tories....

Ah, the LibDems and their "principles".... "

Yeah! My thoughts too.

Newbury

Apparently part of her rationale is that no Tory would ever join this, so we need a Tory to lead it.

Enter Guto Bebb, stage right.....

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Never mind labour will buy the snp vote with another indi referendum.

Do you actually read the news? ?? buy the SNP vote? I’m afraid you have no concept of the reality of the politics there

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

i think some of his own m.p s could nor stand him being p.m let alone tory and lib dem mp.s

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

What Jo Swinton actually said was that she did not think it would work, and she's probably right about that. I think we would get a lot more Tory rebels, and thus far more likely to succeed, if it wasn't Corbyn. However, like Swinton is now saying, the idea shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

Personally I think it would be far more likely to succeed if the person leading the Unity Government was not a leader from any of the main parties.

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

For a moment I thought that this was a new Meatloaf song.

Bat out of hell. the EU

"For a moment I thought that this was a new Meatloaf song.

Bat out of hell. the EU"

Nah that's : bojo outa 10!

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

Pragmatism needed to stop, not Brexit, a no-deal Brexit

Newbury

"Pragmatism needed to stop, not Brexit, a no-deal Brexit"

Well, it appears that they would rather have a no-deal BREXIT than work with a Corbyn led Labour.

So much for "bollocks to BREXIT", eh?

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"Pragmatism needed to stop, not Brexit, a no-deal Brexit

Well, it appears that they would rather have a no-deal BREXIT than work with a Corbyn led Labour.

So much for "bollocks to BREXIT", eh? "

The Liberals want a referendum first, then a GE.... Maybe they don't trust Jeremy Corbyn to keep to his proposals once he is in number 10?

If JC can show he has teh tory remainers on board, lib dems will come over. Until then I suspect they will wait. If onky because they have more to lose in rowing behind a plan which fails.

Bristol East

Yes, it's turned 180 degrees.

The ERG with its hard line agenda is in Downing Street.

All the factions are sitting in Parliament.

The only thing they can agree on is they do not want the bastard Brexit (the illegitimate heir of the referendum).

They are going to have to work out what they do want, otherwise Johnson is taking us over the cliff in his bus.

The EU won't buckle.

It's been a busy day, so I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

But I heard in work that Corbyns proposal was still prioritising/insinuated preference for a labour brexit?

Please point out if this is a misunderstanding?

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

We will have to see if B.J. makes the executive decision, with the Robin Tilbrook case. That the uk left the eu at 11.00 on the 29th of March 2019.

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Despite the political crisis, looming no Brexit, economic downturn etc it seems party politics still comes first. Boris having a ball. You wonder what it needs to pull together.

Grantham

So, if push comes to shove, and the Liberals and Conservative rebels said they'd back such a plan, but not with Jeremy Corbyn as its Leader, would he step aside?

Newbury

"So, if push comes to shove, and the Liberals and Conservative rebels said they'd back such a plan, but not with Jeremy Corbyn as its Leader, would he step aside?

"

Of course not - the plan would mean nothing without Labour. Also, it's the leader of the opposition who's proposing it.

It seems that the LibDems have been exposed once again. "Remain alliance" my arse.

"Despite the political crisis, looming no Brexit, economic downturn etc it seems party politics still comes first. Boris having a ball. You wonder what it needs to pull together."

It would need politicians with integrity.

Sadly there aren't nearly enough of them.

Bristol East

The jostling for position is just that for now.

Until Corbyn tables a no-confidence motion, and until that is approved, it's all hot air, really.

Then the fun begins.

They have 14 days to unite around someone who can head a single-purpose coalition.

The civil service will be offering to facilitate those talks, I think, in the same way it did with the coalition formation in 2010.

Then we'll really see who is willing to put the national interest before the party interest.

Meantime, the only one who can do the running is Corbyn, because he is the only one who can decide when to table the no-confidence motion.

Newbury

Seems that Jo Swinson has changed her mind now.

This is almost as much fun as the "funny tinge party"....

Seems like key tories (and change) MP's are reluctant to line up behind corbyn. As the lib dems predicted.

Will JC and Labour be prepared to line up bengind a different figure head. You'd hope, given the comments they have been making... David lammy (I think) yesterday was saying principles before party... Let's see if you walk the walk.

More interesting times ahead.

Grantham

"Seems like key tories (and change) MP's are reluctant to line up behind corbyn. As the lib dems predicted.

Will JC and Labour be prepared to line up bengind a different figure head. You'd hope, given the comments they have been making... David lammy (I think) yesterday was saying principles before party... Let's see if you walk the walk.

More interesting times ahead. "

The 5 Change MPs weren't invited by Jeremy Corbyn into his grand plan.

Aha. Not unsurprising. But reinforces my view this is as much about parties as it is policies for some Labour types.

borehamwood

so all the people moaning about boris being made primeminister with less than 100.000 people voting for him are behind the idea of a goverment and p.m that not one single person in the country has had a chance to vote for north korea springs to mind.very strange.but then again im not surprised seems as 95% of politicians hold the public in contempt.just wonder when yhe majority of people are gona wake up to the fact wether there blue red yellow green they dont give a fuck about the public.be carefull what you wish for.if they overturn one vote once it opens the door for them to do it on anything they yhink the great unwashed have voted the wrong way on

near ipswich

"so all the people moaning about boris being made primeminister with less than 100.000 people voting for him are behind the idea of a goverment and p.m that not one single person in the country has had a chance to vote for north korea springs to mind.very strange.but then again im not surprised seems as 95% of politicians hold the public in contempt.just wonder when yhe majority of people are gona wake up to the fact wether there blue red yellow green they dont give a fuck about the public.be carefull what you wish for.if they overturn one vote once it opens the door for them to do it on anything they yhink the great unwashed have voted the wrong way on"
yep totally agree they dont give a fuck what the people want, could be the end of democracy as we have know it. once a precedence has been set thats it.

"so all the people moaning about boris being made primeminister with less than 100.000 people voting for him are behind the idea of a goverment and p.m that not one single person in the country has had a chance to vote for north korea springs to mind.very strange.but then again im not surprised seems as 95% of politicians hold the public in contempt.just wonder when yhe majority of people are gona wake up to the fact wether there blue red yellow green they dont give a fuck about the public.be carefull what you wish for.if they overturn one vote once it opens the door for them to do it on anything they yhink the great unwashed have voted the wrong way on"

Sounds like project fear to me??

You can’t really complain about the political parties and MPs if you choose not to partake in democracy.

You’ve absolved yourself of responsibility for their actions by not voting for decades.

"so all the people moaning about boris being made primeminister with less than 100.000 people voting for him are behind the idea of a goverment and p.m that not one single person in the country has had a chance to vote for north korea springs to mind.very strange.but then again im not surprised seems as 95% of politicians hold the public in contempt.just wonder when yhe majority of people are gona wake up to the fact wether there blue red yellow green they dont give a fuck about the public.be carefull what you wish for.if they overturn one vote once it opens the door for them to do it on anything they yhink the great unwashed have voted the wrong way onyep totally agree they dont give a fuck what the people want, could be the end of democracy as we have know it. once a precedence has been set thats it."

A precedence is already set when a number of MPs vote against their own manifesto.

Bristol East

The language being used by No. 10 is revealing.

This constant refrain about MPs who want to "stop Brexit".

They are trying to create a narrative that the only ones who want to deliver Brexit are Johnson and his team.

Mendacious and duplicitous.

Johnson and his team seem set on an outcome that no-one voted for.

The hardest of hard Brexits, an act of economic and social suicide.

That is what a majority are opposed to.

No-one voted for that - they told us in 2016 it was impossible, stupid, ridiculous.

Hard Brexit needs a mandate from the people. Johnson does not have one.

Until he gets one, Parliament is fully entitled to stop this right-wing coup in its tracks.

near ipswich

"so all the people moaning about boris being made primeminister with less than 100.000 people voting for him are behind the idea of a goverment and p.m that not one single person in the country has had a chance to vote for north korea springs to mind.very strange.but then again im not surprised seems as 95% of politicians hold the public in contempt.just wonder when yhe majority of people are gona wake up to the fact wether there blue red yellow green they dont give a fuck about the public.be carefull what you wish for.if they overturn one vote once it opens the door for them to do it on anything they yhink the great unwashed have voted the wrong way on

You can’t really complain about the political parties and MPs if you choose not to partake in democracy.

You’ve absolved yourself of responsibility for their actions by not voting for decades.

"

What do you mean absolved yourself of responsibility by not voting for decades?

borehamwood

i didnt vote on the ref but i thought the question was leave or remain and camerons leaflet said we was leaving everything to do with the e.u if the vote was leave.cant see what the arguings about.on the other hand its really funny listening to peeps on here and other social media from both sides who think there experts on it all when all there doing is repeating whatever they have tead or heard from there own sides.repeatin propaganda.one good thing most of the main partys are finished perhaps some new party will appear that i might be able to vote for

borehamwood

"so all the people moaning about boris being made primeminister with less than 100.000 people voting for him are behind the idea of a goverment and p.m that not one single person in the country has had a chance to vote for north korea springs to mind.very strange.but then again im not surprised seems as 95% of politicians hold the public in contempt.just wonder when yhe majority of people are gona wake up to the fact wether there blue red yellow green they dont give a fuck about the public.be carefull what you wish for.if they overturn one vote once it opens the door for them to do it on anything they yhink the great unwashed have voted the wrong way on

"

oh the mighty bob has spoken i not allowed an opinion as i dont take part in voting?jog on ya tube

Bristol East

There is a mandate for Brexit (2016 referendum).

There is a mandate for an orderly exit (2017 manifesto).

There is no mandate for the bastard of Brexit that Johnson wants to give birth to.

Grantham

Sir Oliver Letwin has expressed interest in the plan but will not back any move that sees Jeremy Corbyn as PM.

The move for a leading backbencher as interim PM gathers pace.

"i didnt vote on the ref but i thought the question was leave or remain and camerons leaflet said we was leaving everything to do with the e.u if the vote was leave.cant see what the arguings about.on the other hand its really funny listening to peeps on here and other social media from both sides who think there experts on it all when all there doing is repeating whatever they have tead or heard from there own sides.repeatin propaganda.one good thing most of the main partys are finished perhaps some new party will appear that i might be able to vote for"

The government leaflet talked about the time it to unpick and make new arrangements.it talked about the limitations of a limited trade deal. And how some though it would be easy to put a new deal in place. I'm not sure how you've got to it saying we were extracting ourselves from the eu and having zero deals or arrangements in place from their leaflet. Which is the current direction of travel...

near ipswich

"Sir Oliver Letwin has expressed interest in the plan but will not back any move that sees Jeremy Corbyn as PM.

The move for a leading backbencher as interim PM gathers pace. "

It wont happen unless corbyn agrees ive already said corbyn really wants out of the eu has done all his political career.By saying i am the leader of the opposition and should be pm knowing tories wont back him gives him exactly what he wants without upsetting his party.

Bristol East

It tells you everything about how hollow the whole Brexit idea was when they have to rely on the other side's messaging to justify their thinking.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

i dont think swinson is wrong..... it would be much easier to sell as a national unity government if it didn't have corbyn on top.. because that to some is going to look like a coup.....

corbyn can still be leader of the labour party and no one is suggesting taking that from him......

I think its a much easier sell to everyone is someone like a "harriet harman" who would get the respect of lib dem and tories to agree to it.... plus it also puts press of some labour mps not to vote against......

By *retty GoodMan  over a year ago

Cardiff Bay

"i dont think swinson is wrong..... it would be much easier to sell as a national unity government if it didn't have corbyn on top.. because that to some is going to look like a coup.....

corbyn can still be leader of the labour party and no one is suggesting taking that from him......

I think its a much easier sell to everyone is someone like a "harriet harman" who would get the respect of lib dem and tories to agree to it.... plus it also puts press of some labour mps not to vote against......"

New evidence casts doubt on Harriet Harman's defence over paedophile links

Claims Miss Harman has nothing to apologise for over involvement of civil rights organisation she used to work for with a paedophile rights campaign are thrown into doubt by new internal documents obtained by The Telegraph

Harriet Harman has insisted she has nothing to apologise for over the involvement of a civil rights organisation she used to work for with a paedophile rights campaign, despite new evidence casting doubt on her defence.

Is that the person you meant ?

By *punkyMcFuckKnuckleMan  over a year ago

Glasvegas

If leaving the EU brings back Cadbury's mint crisp, spiras, nestle secret bars and golden cups then I'm all for it.

If it brings none of these we should send them all at the stocks.

near ipswich

ken clarke who failed in three previous leader bids? great idea get a load of has beens to run the country.

"ken clarke who failed in three previous leader bids? great idea get a load of has beens to run the country. "
tbf whoever is doing it won't be able to do any running... They won't have the numbers to push through anything but brexit legislation.

Newbury

"i dont think swinson is wrong..... it would be much easier to sell as a national unity government if it didn't have corbyn on top.. because that to some is going to look like a coup.....

I think its a much easier sell to everyone is someone like a "harriet harman" who would get the respect of lib dem and tories to agree to it.... plus it also puts press of some labour mps not to vote against......"

Harriet Harman?

God the right are desperate these days.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

In 2010 it was Brown the Lib Dems demanded was removed, today it is JC.

In 2015 they were nearly wiped out because of their 2010 choices, brexit saved them. This time there will be no return if they pull the same stunt again.

» Add a new message to this topic