FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Britain exports 50% and eu 5%.

Britain exports 50% and eu 5%.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

That is how much britain exports in a estimate to the eu and how much eu export to britain, it is like mr patels corner shop v tesco, so who needs the other most and how will britain cope with the shortfall if brexit happens?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Like your stereotyping there!

"Like your stereotyping there! "
Yes I also thought it was a good example too

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"That is how much britain exports in a estimate to the eu and how much eu export to britain, it is like mr patels corner shop v tesco, so who needs the other most and how will britain cope with the shortfall if brexit happens?"

It's not a shortfall, we'll still trade with them but if it's on WTO it'll be a hell of a lot more expensive

"Like your stereotyping there! Yes I also thought it was a good example too "

A nation of shopkeepers versus mega corporations..

It’s all going to be fine we sell marmite and Spam to the world ...

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"That is how much britain exports in a estimate to the eu and how much eu export to britain, it is like mr patels corner shop v tesco, so who needs the other most and how will britain cope with the shortfall if brexit happens?

It's not a shortfall, we'll still trade with them but if it's on WTO it'll be a hell of a lot more expensive "

The WTO arbitration process is not functioning, as as our schedule is in dispute I do not know how this works legally.

Perhaps a Brexit supporter can tell us?

West London

"Like your stereotyping there! Yes I also thought it was a good example too

It’s all going to be fine we sell marmite and Spam to the world ... "

Interestingly, Spam is very popular in South Korea as a Christmas gift. They do hampers

"Like your stereotyping there! Yes I also thought it was a good example too

It’s all going to be fine we sell marmite and Spam to the world ... "

Yes it will be marmite on the sandwitches lol.

By *rufinWoman  over a year ago

notts

All this negative thinking is what is holding us back

Just think of rainbows and kittens. It'll all be fine. Anyway, we have friends all around the world due to our previous Empire, where we spread goodwill and cheer to the natives. They will rush to our rescue if there are any minor hiccups.

By *an For YouMan  over a year ago

belfast/holywood

"All this negative thinking is what is holding us back

Just think of rainbows and kittens. It'll all be fine. Anyway, we have friends all around the world due to our previous Empire, where we spread goodwill and cheer to the natives. They will rush to our rescue if there are any minor hiccups."

Yep that’s a good point, and most are very fast runners

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

It's more than just that.

If relations between the EU and UK turn sour and there is a trade war, who can afford to lose more - the one with 5% of its exports at risk or the one with 50% of its exports at risk?

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"It's more than just that.

If relations between the EU and UK turn sour and there is a trade war, who can afford to lose more - the one with 5% of its exports at risk or the one with 50% of its exports at risk?

"

ffs trade wars now lol

belfast/holywood

There won’t be a trade war between the UK and the EU. Neither side wants that

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"There won’t be a trade war between the UK and the EU. Neither side wants that "
exactly but doesn’t stop the over the top posts on here lol

Nah, only trade war wanker in this world is Trump

At the moment the uk can manufacture some products slightly cheaper than other countries in the EU which is why we trade so much with them, but with the introduction of possible tariffs and border checks we will lose quite a bit of competitiveness and EU companies will look elsewhere for cheaper suppliers. Unfortunately that is business.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Well remoaners going on and on and on like a bunch of 5 year olds.

It is over we are leaving so your fake news is now extra boring and when in a few years we are doing well not one of you will have the guts to apologise I am sure.

But as it is Christmas have a good one and a happy new year.

I hope some of you will grow up soon and join the real world

"Well remoaners going on and on and on like a bunch of 5 year olds.

It is over we are leaving so your fake news is now extra boring and when in a few years we are doing well not one of you will have the guts to apologise I am sure.

I hope some of you will grow up soon and join the real world"

Well I hope you enjoy Christmas too and I hope for all our sakes that project fear is just that but I suspect it might be a bumpier ride than you might hope and the crowing of the leavers might just be the sound of vultures circling.

Does money laundering count as an import or export?

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Well I hope you enjoy Christmas too and I hope for all our sakes that project fear is just that but I suspect it might be a bumpier ride than you might hope and the crowing of the leavers might just be the sound of vultures circling. "

Your like king Kanute he tried to stop the tide coming in but it did

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

Well yeah, 16 billion in profit from Ireland and as a result of Brexit Ireland has decoupled its medication supply from the UK, has the first ever Amazon warehouse being built, and has companies like lidl and aldi sniffing for blood with tesco, m&s etc.

Also Ireland got 530 million, half a billion from the EU to skip the UK power grid and go direct to france with power lines. Irish people are expected to save money in this move

And what has the UK done to protect that 16 billion profit? well nothing they voted to put it as not important.

Irish towns and cities are expecting a boom but they are still not happy about losing trade partners in the UK, not happy at all.

So even with small increases to UK products, how much trade will they really be able to hold onto, only time will tell. If Ireland is anything to go by, sharks are circling for every cent of it.

belfast/holywood

"Well yeah, 16 billion in profit from Ireland and as a result of Brexit Ireland has decoupled its medication supply from the UK, has the first ever Amazon warehouse being built, and has companies like lidl and aldi sniffing for blood with tesco, m&s etc.

Also Ireland got 530 million, half a billion from the EU to skip the UK power grid and go direct to france with power lines. Irish people are expected to save money in this move

And what has the UK done to protect that 16 billion profit? well nothing they voted to put it as not important.

Irish towns and cities are expecting a boom but they are still not happy about losing trade partners in the UK, not happy at all.

So even with small increases to UK products, how much trade will they really be able to hold onto, only time will tell. If Ireland is anything to go by, sharks are circling for every cent of it."

. Celtic tiger anyone lol ?

By *pitfiremk10Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

HEAR HEAR

West London

For 2017 UK exported 44% of its total to the EU (£274bn)

The EU exports 8% to the UK (£341bn)

However no single country exports more than 6% which is Germany (£78bn)

We will be negotiating with the EU as a block but their view on trade with us is based on the benefit to individual countries. As there is practically nothing that we produce that cannot be purchased in another EU country they can substitute purchases. We cannot do the same.

They made no consessions to the UK in the transition agreement, nor will they in the trade negotiation.

Tory politicians are already discussing the acceptability of chlorine washed chicken and an insurance based healthcare system.

Welcome to the 53rd state of the USA but without representation

Bristol East

"

ffs trade wars now lol"

They are called tariffs.

Right now, GB and EU are on a level playing field.

That makes a free-trade agreement possible.

If, let's say, GB decides to deregulate working practices, remove some taxes or roll out state-aid in order to reduce business costs, it's no longer a level playing field.

That's when tariffs begin to appear on imports from the GB.

Essentially, there are 3 trade blocs that write the rules. Everyone else basically follows them.

The EU, the US and China.

A free-trade agreement with the EU implies we will be adopting EU standards and regulations.

PS I must stop referring to UK and start using GB, since NI will remain aligned with the EU rather than UK.

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"That is how much britain exports in a estimate to the eu and how much eu export to britain, it is like mr patels corner shop v tesco, so who needs the other most and how will britain cope with the shortfall if brexit happens?"

Actually, you're not using a like-for-like measure.

The UK's exports as a percentage of UK GDP to the EU is about 13%.

The EU's exports to the UK as a percentage of EU GDP is about 4%.

But you also have to look at where those exports are from in the EU.

And you also have to look at the actual value of exports when looking at tarifs - the UK will actually net benefit from tarifs because the EU exports more to the UK than the UK does to the EU.

And if you want to look at the EU and the UK as businesses, the EU is about to lose 20% of its turnover, and quite a bit of its profit (the UK GDP and the UK contribution).

Derby

And you also have to look at the actual value of exports when looking at tarifs - the UK will actually net benefit from tarifs because the EU exports more to the UK than the UK does to the EU.

And if you want to look at the EU and the UK as businesses, the EU is about to lose 20% of its turnover, and quite a bit of its profit (the UK GDP and the UK contribution).

"

EU can afford to lose more as it is just a 5% loss which they will get back in no time

By *ungblackbullMan  over a year ago

scotland

3.5 years and still no good case made for leaving the EU.

Your arguments have been blasted as fake news but any facts presented to you are rebuffed.

To call those who don't want to leave "remoaners" is about as childish as you can get. You can barely string a sentence together but insult the vast majority of doctors and scientist by saying that they need to grown up and join the real world.

Perhaps you can suggest to us what you consider to be a successful Brexit. Can you define what you mean by doing well? Provide a time line too. If, at that point, assuming that your "success" criteria doesn't mean "we got rid of them foreigners" or "we have blue passports" or "we have control over our laws" then I'll certainly have the guts to apologies. I'll actually go beyond that though and sell everything I own, give all my money away to charity of your choice and go and live in a cave.

EU can afford to lose more as it is just a 5% loss which they will get back in no time "

The EU's share in global trade has been going down the pan for decades mostly because of the rise of the far East but more importantly at a much fastest pace than the USAs who are also under the same pressure as the EU, they've become a protectionist racquet clinging on to the club, the whole thing has been payed for by Germany as it's producer.

Well you need to take a long hard look at Germany, it ain't the force it used to be and those pesky German voters are starting to Rebel so I wouldn't be so cock sure in the EU's ability to make up ground in anything.

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

"That is how much britain exports in a estimate to the eu and how much eu export to britain, it is like mr patels corner shop v tesco, so who needs the other most and how will britain cope with the shortfall if brexit happens?

It's not a shortfall, we'll still trade with them but if it's on WTO it'll be a hell of a lot more expensive

The WTO arbitration process is not functioning, as as our schedule is in dispute I do not know how this works legally.

Perhaps a Brexit supporter can tell us? "

why don't you stop having a go at the brexit supporters. Quite frankly it's wearing thin these days.

"

"

Yes, applied tarrifs simply get added onto the price in the shops so we all end up paying more

Brexit bonus

West London

And if you want to look at the EU and the UK as businesses, the EU is about to lose 20% of its turnover, and quite a bit of its profit (the UK GDP and the UK contribution)."

You have made a number of nonsensical statements.

"Net benefit from tariffs". Tariffs are removed to significantly increase trade flows. They will increase the cost of products to UK citizens and reduce choice if regulations diverge. This r duces sales volumes.

The only way that there is a "net benefit" is for the Treasury if we buy the same amount from the EU at higher cost. No problem for the EU and worse for UK consumers.

Your own figures demonstrate that the effect on UK GDP is more substantial than on the EU. Nobody has claimed that the EU will not find this difficult, but what products are made exclusively in the UK that cannot be purchased from other EU countries. They are not constrained to buy from us. They can switch to tariff free purchases from each other with a small cost increment.

We cannot so the same.

What point are you actually trying to make?

That we are under no negotiating disadvantage or that tariffs don't matter and tariff reduction has no benefit?

You have made a number of nonsensical statements.

"Net benefit from tariffs". Tariffs are removed to significantly increase trade flows. They will increase the cost of products to UK citizens and reduce choice if regulations diverge. This r duces sales volumes.

The only way that there is a "net benefit" is for the Treasury if we buy the same amount from the EU at higher cost. No problem for the EU and worse for UK consumers.

Your own figures demonstrate that the effect on UK GDP is more substantial than on the EU. Nobody has claimed that the EU will not find this difficult, but what products are made exclusively in the UK that cannot be purchased from other EU countries. They are not constrained to buy from us. They can switch to tariff free purchases from each other with a small cost increment.

We cannot so the same.

What point are you actually trying to make?

That we are under no negotiating disadvantage or that tariffs don't matter and tariff reduction has no benefit?"

I think the point they are making is everything from the EU would cost us more money, that's the benefits of Brexit

West London

EU can afford to lose more as it is just a 5% loss which they will get back in no time .

The EU's share in global trade has been going down the pan for decades mostly because of the rise of the far East but more importantly at a much fastest pace than the USAs who are also under the same pressure as the EU, they've become a protectionist racquet clinging on to the club, the whole thing has been payed for by Germany as it's producer.

Well you need to take a long hard look at Germany, it ain't the force it used to be and those pesky German voters are starting to Rebel so I wouldn't be so cock sure in the EU's ability to make up ground in anything.

"

What a genuinely foolish comment.

The US share of global trade has also been falling, as has Japan's and every other "first world" economy.

You have even written that this is because other countries are becoming wealthier.

That is not the same as existing economies "going down the pan".

That is also not a reason to abandon your home market. Leaving the EU is as foolish as deciding not to sell inside the UK anymore or even taxing the transport of goods between cities.

The EU is an economy that is becoming a smaller proportion of the global economy. This is more so for the UK on its own. However, collective bargaining, just like a trade union allows far better terms of trade to be negotiated. It allows for far larger political influence to be brought to bear as well.

Cross-subsidies within the EU have made poorer countries more prosperous and increased overall wealth for wealthier ones as they have grown their market.

We might be dumb enough to think that somehow we will do better as a small fish but most European countries are not.

I wouldn't bother arguing the costs to us leaving the trading bloc any more, best wait and see what Boris pulls off now.

One things for sure, the market figures of UK PLC is impossible to hide from so we'll see how it all pans out now

By *wosmilersCouple  over a year ago

Heathrowish

Another thread filled with speculative ifs and buts.

Fact - Trade will still flourish on both sides when we leave. If not, the UK will have as many economic problems as the EU. Their trade with us is the difference between growth and recession on both sides. If the EU goes into recession, then it will drag us with it.

Fact - Fab is full of "experts" who do not deal with international trade or diplomacy. Instead, they tend to spout opinion as if it is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Enough said.

By *artyanna16TV/TS  over a year ago

seacroft

Well , were going to step up our sanctions on venezuela and iran, and jolly well draw syria into an armed conflict so we can sell the israeli goverment and saudis some typhoons, cluser bombs and white phorporous shells , or see if their in the market for a little novichok we no longer have any use for! Im sure we could whip up a little more hysteria between our friends in kashmir and delhi, and chile , bolivia are looking promising for a future military industrial investment ,

That's the thing though, you don't have to be an expert to learn quite few of the facts and get a general good idea of something

belfast/holywood

EU can afford to lose more as it is just a 5% loss which they will get back in no time .

The US share of global trade has also been falling, as has Japan's and every other "first world" economy.

You have even written that this is because other countries are becoming wealthier.

That is also not a reason to abandon your home market. Leaving the EU is as foolish as deciding not to sell inside the UK anymore or even taxing the transport of goods between cities.

The EU is an economy that is becoming a smaller proportion of the global economy. This is more so for the UK on its own. However, collective bargaining, just like a trade union allows far better terms of trade to be negotiated. It allows for far larger political influence to be brought to bear as well.

Cross-subsidies within the EU have made poorer countries more prosperous and increased overall wealth for wealthier ones as they have grown their market.

We might be dumb enough to think that somehow we will do better as a small fish but most European countries are not."

Yep - the German car market is vast. And the UK is their biggest customer. If that is hit, Germany will be in the shit too.

West London

"That's the thing though, you don't have to be an expert to learn quite few of the facts and get a general good idea of something "

Anyone who takes the time to form an opinion based in data rather belief is labelled an "expert" as a term of abuse.

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

We might be dumb enough to think that somehow we will do better as a small fish but most European countries are not.

Yep - the German car market is vast. And the UK is their biggest customer. If that is hit, Germany will be in the shit too. "

the German economy is already in trouble

belfast/holywood

Yep - the German car market is vast. And the UK is their biggest customer. If that is hit, Germany will be in the shit too. the German economy is already in trouble "

Exactly. It lags behind the UK right now

West London

Yep - the German car market is vast. And the UK is their biggest customer. If that is hit, Germany will be in the shit too. "

The UK is their biggest single customer in the EU. They sell more cars to everyone else. Is that really such a complicated concept?Less of a problem than the entire trading block collapsing.

Which cars will we buy instead from our mighty industry? Jaguar Land Rover, Bentley, Rolls Royce, McLaren and a few single models from other brands.

We'll buy fewer German cars at higher prices.

Lucky us.

belfast/holywood

Yep - the German car market is vast. And the UK is their biggest customer. If that is hit, Germany will be in the shit too.

The UK is their biggest single customer in the EU. They sell more cars to everyone else. Is that really such a complicated concept?Less of a problem than the entire trading block collapsing.

Which cars will we buy instead from our mighty industry? Jaguar Land Rover, Bentley, Rolls Royce, McLaren and a few single models from other brands.

Lucky us."

Which ? Why? When? Erm why? Who , erm) what? Huh? Why?. I demand answers

West London

Lucky us.

Which ? Why? When? Erm why? Who , erm) what? Huh? Why?. I demand answers"

Nope. I'm suggesting that you ask some yourself before mindlessly repeating a soundbite

By *andK78Couple  over a year ago

Newport

That's a percentage of the whole of the EU not one country. If you look at real figures instead of scare mongering we actually buy more from the whole of the EU total then the whole of the EU buys off us and where just one country.

West London

"That's a percentage of the whole of the EU not one country. If you look at real figures instead of scare mongering we actually buy more from the whole of the EU total then the whole of the EU buys off us and where just one country. "

Look up.

I've given you the figures.

No single EU country sells anything like as much to us as we do to the EU as a whole.

In any negotiation, the relationship is between the importance our exports to the EU but individual country's exports to us and their ability to substitute any sales to the UK with sales to each other if we are excluded.

At its most extreme. We sell nothing to the EU, they sell nothing to us. They substitute lost sales to the UK by selling to each other. We cannot.

Lucky us."

The Japanese are pretty good at making cars too, at very reaonable and affordable prices, plus arguably more reliable.

Then there is Korea doing quite well and improving.

West London

Lucky us.

The Japanese are pretty good at making cars too, at very reaonable and affordable prices, plus arguably more reliable.

Then there is Korea doing quite well and improving. "

Which we can currently purchase now.

We have EU trade agreements with both countries making them cheaper than under WTO rules.

We just increase the price of everything. Big win.

Well done saying nothing

belfast/holywood

"That's a percentage of the whole of the EU not one country. If you look at real figures instead of scare mongering we actually buy more from the whole of the EU total then the whole of the EU buys off us and where just one country.

Look up.

No single EU country sells anything like as much to us as we do to the EU as a whole.

In any negotiation, the relationship is between the importance our exports to the EU but individual country's exports to us and their ability to substitute any sales to the UK with sales to each other if we are excluded.

At its most extreme. We sell nothing to the EU, they sell nothing to us. They substitute lost sales to the UK by selling to each other. We cannot."

Where did you get your figures? What don’t we sell?. Are you sure you are right?. They sell nothing to us?. Is my chorizo from Spain ?. Is my port from Portugal. Bugger I’m confused . Can you help me to understand ?. Am I beyond redemption ?

Lucky us.

We have EU trade agreements with both countries making them cheaper than under WTO rules.

Well done saying nothing "

You will find I said a lot, all of which was lost on you. I will say a bit more then to expand on it.

So we don't only buy German cars? Can we buy more cars from other manufacturers? Will our economy be massively hit if we stop buying cars from within the EU? Will we be able to agree good trade deals for cars purchased outside the EU? What are the current tarriffs? Do we already have factories in the UK for these manufacturers? Are a lot of these cars better for the environment with lower emissions? Could this be part of a future free trade deal with the EU? Do you think Germany would be happy with a massive loss of revenue if we went elsewhere? Will the French go on strike in protest if we stop buying their cars too? Why are Fench cars generally less reliable than German ones? Why are German ones considered less reliable than Japanese?

Well I hope you enjoy Christmas too and I hope for all our sakes that project fear is just that but I suspect it might be a bumpier ride than you might hope and the crowing of the leavers might just be the sound of vultures circling. Your like king Kanute he tried to stop the tide coming in but it did "

Knut*

Interesting, as remain voters or those who are sceptical of leaving, we're warming you of the tide coming in, whilst you stand there on the beach saying, "no, no, no, the tide isn't coming in".

West London

"That's a percentage of the whole of the EU not one country. If you look at real figures instead of scare mongering we actually buy more from the whole of the EU total then the whole of the EU buys off us and where just one country.

Look up.

At its most extreme. We sell nothing to the EU, they sell nothing to us. They substitute lost sales to the UK by selling to each other. We cannot.

Where did you get your figures? What don’t we sell?. Are you sure you are right?. They sell nothing to us?. Is my chorizo from Spain ?. Is my port from Portugal. Bugger I’m confused . Can you help me to understand ?. Am I beyond redemption ?"

Just don't post if you aren't interested

West London

Lucky us.

Well done saying nothing

You will find I said a lot, all of which was lost on you. I will say a bit more then to expand on it.

So we don't only buy German cars? Can we buy more cars from other manufacturers? Will our economy be massively hit if we stop buying cars from within the EU? Will we be able to agree good trade deals for cars purchased outside the EU? What are the current tarriffs? Do we already have factories in the UK for these manufacturers? Are a lot of these cars better for the environment with lower emissions? Could this be part of a future free trade deal with the EU? Do you think Germany would be happy with a massive loss of revenue if we went elsewhere? Will the French go on strike in protest if we stop buying their cars too? Why are Fench cars generally less reliable than German ones? Why are German ones considered less reliable than Japanese? "

Your self-regard is boundless

We have factories in the UK for several manufacturers who make the odd model that sells well throughout the EU. More financially sensible to build them inside the EU and have us pay a tariff just for the Cars exported to the smaller UK market. Especially if standards diverge.

It took several years to negotiate trade deals with other countries. Perhaps we'll be much faster. Perhaps not. We'll pay more whilst we wait.

Current WTO tariffs on vehicles are 10% or 0% but no reciprocity is needed if we unilaterally do the latter.

The Germans will not be happy with a loss of revenue, but as UK car sales throughout the EU will fall then the shortfall will not be as big as it seems.

We won't stop buying German cars. We'll just pay more or UK dealers will earn less.

I doubt the French will go on strike as Peugeot and Vauxhall production will move there. We'll see how that pans out.

Jaguar Land Rover products are amongst the least reliable in the industry.

French cars are built at a mid-market price point so the balance between cost and reliability tends to cost reduction.

German manufacturers tend to have relatively high reliability in component design but a relatively high failure rate in sensors and electronics as they push the limits as one of their selling points. A brand like Skoda which is essentially a previous generation VW or Audi is more reliable.

Japan and Korea are actually now technologically quite conservative, hence their higher reliability.

None of this indicates that we are in a strong negotiating position in our EU trade.

So, you added nothing

As stated I added lots. You just fail to see it. I think I said elsewhere I'm bored with you, as is just about everyone else.

West London

"As stated I added lots. You just fail to see it. I think I said elsewhere I'm bored with you, as is just about everyone else."

Yet you keep following me around like a creepy Christmas elf

Bristol East

"That's a percentage of the whole of the EU not one country. If you look at real figures instead of scare mongering we actually buy more from the whole of the EU total then the whole of the EU buys off us and where just one country. "

In 2018, UK exports to the EU were £291 billion (45% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £357 billion (53% of all UK imports).

- House of Commons Library

"As stated I added lots. You just fail to see it. I think I said elsewhere I'm bored with you, as is just about everyone else.

Yet you keep following me around like a creepy Christmas elf "

Why respond? Are you fab straight? I'm real life straight so not interested, thanks anyway.

In 2018, UK exports to the EU were £291 billion (45% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £357 billion (53% of all UK imports).

- House of Commons Library"

Which is nothing compared to the trillions that went through the Square Mile. Terrorists, drug lords, human traffickers.... all our customers

West London

"As stated I added lots. You just fail to see it. I think I said elsewhere I'm bored with you, as is just about everyone else."

Mwah

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Lucky us.

Well done saying nothing "

Some people prefer to pay more, possibly kidding themselves that they are getting something that's of increased value.

Well I hope you enjoy Christmas too and I hope for all our sakes that project fear is just that but I suspect it might be a bumpier ride than you might hope and the crowing of the leavers might just be the sound of vultures circling. Your like king Kanute he tried to stop the tide coming in but it did "

Oh dear, you made the classic mistake....King Canute was showing that the tide would come in regardless of whether you are a king or commoner which is rather different than your understanding. Shit will happen no matter what you think

city

"Yep - the German car market is vast. And the UK is their biggest customer. If that is hit, Germany will be in the shit too. "

Thats not how it works.

UK exports 800,000 cars to the EU and imports 2 million.

UK loses 100% of that 800,000 and Germany grabs a huge chunk of it.

The UK meanwhile has to keep importing cars, as they dont make enough, and they dont have direct competitors for cars like the polo, so the customer ends up paying more.

So germany has 2 million at risk, they can straight away claim back 600,00-800,000, so now they are at risk 1.2-1.4 million.

So Eu imports to the UK can half while they destroy the UK car industry and reduce UK exports to 0 they wont notice any change at all.

This is the reality every country finds when trying to do a deal with the EU, they dont need you, they just want you.

Derby

"Yep - the German car market is vast. And the UK is their biggest customer. If that is hit, Germany will be in the shit too.

Thats not how it works.

The UK meanwhile has to keep importing cars, as they dont make enough, and they dont have direct competitors for cars like the polo, so the customer ends up paying more.

So germany has 2 million at risk, they can straight away claim back 600,00-800,000, so now they are at risk 1.2-1.4 million.

So Eu imports to the UK can half while they destroy the UK car industry and reduce UK exports to 0 they wont notice any change at all.

This is the reality every country finds when trying to do a deal with the EU, they dont need you, they just want you."

So your prediction is that we will export zero cars to the EU?

We will always export cars to the EU but that amount may fall drastically depending on trade agreements.

I must just make one thing clear.

It is not a case of “if Brexit happens”.

It is going to happen, no ifs or buts.

"

Well I trusted you to be an absolute bellend and miss the very next line out which was?.

Oh yes the EUs share has fallen twice as fast as the USAs.

..I sometimes think you do it on purpose .

city

"Yep - the German car market is vast. And the UK is their biggest customer. If that is hit, Germany will be in the shit too.

Thats not how it works.

This is the reality every country finds when trying to do a deal with the EU, they dont need you, they just want you.

So your prediction is that we will export zero cars to the EU?"

No, my prediction is that people saying "We can hurt germany so we can play hard ball with them" are wrong, because the EU can reduce cars imported from the UK to 0 as soon as brexit is done if they want to, the EU can make all the cars it needs.

My prediction is, a deal will be done, but UK exports to the EU will fall as the EU will not buy its Japanese cars from the UK allowing them to be middle men for Honda/Nissan/Toyota so all them sales are gone within 10 years.

The point I was making was just, the UK has no leverage to force the EU into doing a deal, and saying they can hurt germany by not letting german cars in, would pretty much just wipe out the british car industry totally.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Why do people feel so strongly about this subject for?

"Why do people feel so strongly about this subject for? "

A lot of jobs depend on it.

West London

Well I trusted you to be an absolute bellend and miss the very next line out which was?.

Oh yes the EUs share has fallen twice as fast as the USAs.

..I sometimes think you do it on purpose ."

Subject change to an attempt to a micro-victory?

So to establish the actual parameters of the discussion, on your terms all developed economies are " going down the pan".

However you would like to shift this to the EU being particularly bad because "its share of world trade" is apparently falling twice as fast as the USA. Fine. If you want to discuss specific details then what data are we discussing? You haven't proved very good at understanding the information you find so let's start with what the source is.

What time frame? Trade in good or services or both? Exports, imports or both? Are imports far more imbalanced for the USA than the EU?

"Twice as fast" doesn't mean anything until you know what it's twice as much of.

I'm impressed that you sometimes think, but less so about how you think or what anout

belfast/holywood

Good god...... every time I log on...... zzzzzzzzzzzz

West London

"Good god...... every time I log on...... zzzzzzzzzzzz"

Yet here you are.

Here Fido

» Add a new message to this topic