FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > It's just a sniffle

It's just a sniffle

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Sixty-million people have been told to stay at home unless there is an emergency, and the use of private cars has been banned indefinitely.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-china-51523835

Is it just me or does this sound a bit extreme for a virus which according to some is no different to any other flu?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Sixty-million people have been told to stay at home unless there is an emergency, and the use of private cars has been banned indefinitely.

Is it just me or does this sound a bit extreme for a virus which according to some is no different to any other flu?"

As far as I am aware. The severity of the virus is similar to really bad flu. The difference is that the infection rate is much much higher.

I'm not suggesting China's response is correct or not. But there does seem to be a need to tackle it differently.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

The Chinese have already had thousands of their people die of this virus. They're just trying to limit its spread and save lives.

If anything, they're making up for earlier mistakes.

"Sixty-million people have been told to stay at home unless there is an emergency, and the use of private cars has been banned indefinitely.

Is it just me or does this sound a bit extreme for a virus which according to some is no different to any other flu?

As far as I am aware. The severity of the virus is similar to really bad flu. The difference is that the infection rate is much much higher.

I'm not suggesting China's response is correct or not. But there does seem to be a need to tackle it differently. "

It seems that the way the NHS plans to treat this is to tell people stay at home if you contract the Coronavirus.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/coronavirus-uk-london-quarantine-a4363126.html

I would have thought we could have put the 40 new hospitals that Boris built us to good use.....

[Removed by poster at 16/02/20 22:04:47]

If the number of confirmed coronavirus cases rises past 100, UK residents could be advised to quarantine themselves to limit the chance of the outbreak spreading.  

Senior NHS managers have been told that medics will stop testing for the strain known as Covid-19 “once around 100 cases have been confirmed”, The Sunday Telegraph reported. 

It's all bollox

"It's all bollox"

Thank you for your valuable input.

By *igsteve43Man  over a year ago

derby

Main difference is as of yet no vaccination available, so if we let it spread unchecked we lose uptown 5 per cent of the world's population

"It's all bollox

Thank you for your valuable input."

You're quite welcome.

It is merely my opinion.

So how does "self isolation" work?

It seems somewhere around 20% of cases become critical and result in respiratory difficulty and eventually respiratory arrest if not treated.

So if one is "self isolated" who looks after you and feeds you? Are they also then under house arrest. How do you get food & medicine?

"It's all bollox

Thank you for your valuable input.

You're quite welcome.

It is merely my opinion.

"

I thought it might be an opinion. But thank you for confirming.

By *an For YouMan  over a year ago

belfast/holywood

10,000 people on average die during the winter from flu in the Uk.

Don’t see them being quarantined

Bit of an over reaction if u ask me

"10,000 people on average die during the winter from flu in the Uk.

Bit of an over reaction if u ask me"

10 000 people die from ALL viruses combined after it has done the rounds.

This is one virus that has done as much damage as 10th of all those viruses combined in one isolated part of the world. This is the beginning. If it doesn't get contained then it will be the start of a huge problem for the 20% who become critical.

Oh and those other viruses are still out there adding to this one.

I'm not saying we should panic. I'm saying the potential is there for this to become a very serious pandemic.

Maybe the authorities know more about it than us.

By *entralscotscpl7Couple  over a year ago

Falkirk

Is this the follow up post to the one in the lounge

Opinions will still be the same.

If it mutates it could become much worse. Not sure if the Chinese Authorities have as much control over the situation as we'd like to think. Only time will tell eh.

belfast/holywood

Thankfully it will never reach Northern Ireland thanks to Boris’s border down the Irish Sea lol. Another Brexit bonus yay

"Thankfully it will never reach Northern Ireland thanks to Boris’s border down the Irish Sea lol. Another Brexit bonus yay "

What we don't know yet is whether this can be transmitted by birds etc. That will make a huge difference.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-51526875

Schools will not be advised to close when they have suspected cases of Coronavirus.

It seems we have a different policy to the rest of the world. Whereas the rest of the world are trying to contain the spread, we are just to Keep Calm and Stick our Heads in the Sand.

After all it's just a sniffle.

CFR is currently at 19%...

By *eordiesCouple  over a year ago

newcastle

Question I have never heard answered is;

If you get Coronavirus and recover, as most do, are you then immune from getting it again ?

belfast/holywood

"Question I have never heard answered is;

If you get Coronavirus and recover, as most do, are you then immune from getting it again ?"

Apparently you are immune to re infection

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

"https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-51526875

Schools will not be advised to close when they have suspected cases of Coronavirus.

It seems we have a different policy to the rest of the world. Whereas the rest of the world are trying to contain the spread, we are just to Keep Calm and Stick our Heads in the Sand.

CFR is currently at 19%..."

Hopefully your tinfoil hat will protect you.

"https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-51526875

CFR is currently at 19%...

Hopefully your tinfoil hat will protect you. "

Well you certainly won't get it.

Apparently people with their head in the sand are immune

Is it just me or does this sound a bit extreme for a virus which according to some is no different to any other flu?"

All Flu's Have the potential to kill.

All Flu's Have the potential to kill."

Well the fatality vs recovery rate is currently at 20%. I didn't realise the seasonal flu killed one in five people. Oh well. Shows how stupid I am...

Well the fatality vs recovery rate is currently at 20%. I didn't realise the seasonal flu killed one in five people. Oh well. Shows how stupid I am..."

Why are you making shit up ?

I said POTENTIAL.

Well the fatality vs recovery rate is currently at 20%. I didn't realise the seasonal flu killed one in five people. Oh well. Shows how stupid I am...

Why are you making shit up ?

I said POTENTIAL.

"

Wasn't having a go at you mate. People are classifying this with seasonal flu. Recent data from yhe Chinese suggest it's 20 times more lethal.

But apparently if you don't stick your head in the sand and say 2 + 2 = 3 then you have some kind of agenda to cause panic.

Waiting for the headline that reads "Fab forum opinion causes national wide panic". Like fab is the center of the universe...

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

Well the fatality vs recovery rate is currently at 20%. I didn't realise the seasonal flu killed one in five people. Oh well. Shows how stupid I am..."

Not outside china, it's those with underlying health issues that are at risk just like flu

Not outside china, it's those with underlying health issues that are at risk just like flu "

It occurs to me that recovery rate is probably a lot better when a country has to contend with single figure cases compared to 12 000 serious or critical.

Hopefully we don't end up with those numbers ourselves.

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

I don't know where you have your figures from but the fatality rates I came across in the news were around 2.5%.

As it stands 76000 confirmed cases and around 2100 fatalities. That's no where near 1 in 5.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

This is the fatality rate of those who become so I'll that they have to be hospitalised. This is an odd definition of fatality rate.

The vast majority (88%) have no symptoms whatsoever or the equivalent of a cold or flu.

belfast/holywood

And you all really believe any statistics put out by the Chinese communist party ?

West London

"And you all really believe any statistics put out by the Chinese communist party ?"

It's what the WHO are using. I will have to assume that they have made that decision based on knowledge and understanding and even expediency.

Do you have any other information?

belfast/holywood

And who tells the WHO?

"And you all really believe any statistics put out by the Chinese communist party ?

It's what the WHO are using. I will have to assume that they have made that decision based on knowledge and understanding and even expediency.

Do you have any other information?"

I'm sure Man would believe the stats if they were printed in the Daily Mail. And if they somehow blamed Corbyn for everything.

West London

"And who tells the WHO?"

So , no, you have no other information.

The WHO have rather more experience in these matters than either you or I.

What point are you actually making about the severity of this epidemic?

Do nothing? Panic? Continue your life and take the precautions that you are being advised to take?

belfast/holywood

Questions question questions. I asked ; do you really believe the statistics put out by the Chinese communist party ???

Well ???

And, IF the WHO are actually the people publishing the statistics, ( are they?), who tells them these figures ?

Not difficult questions are they but sure come back with the usual endless list of questions. I may not be an expert on the WHO, but I AM an expert in communist propoganda

West London

"Questions question questions. I asked ; do you really believe the statistics put out by the Chinese communist party ???

Well ???

And, IF the WHO are actually the people publishing the statistics, ( are they?), who tells them these figures ?

Not difficult questions are they but sure come back with the usual endless list of questions. I may not be an expert on the WHO, but I AM an expert in communist propoganda "

So, once again, I do not have sufficient data to know how good or bad the information provided by the Chinese government is.

The WHO does. If they think it is reliable or not, they will make an appropriate assessment have provided a framework to try to contain the outbreak. That's how you approach any data set that you have not generated yourself.

I will take their advice on it and can only use the data available to draw conclusions on fatality rates rather than making something up.

If you are an "expert" on Communist propoganda then yu will be well aware that China is a long way from Communism.

The reality is that China's reputational damage internationally and domestically suffered over SARS and they do not want a repeat. The regional officials who tried to surpress information have already been removed.

Due to the fact that most people have little or no visible symptoms the fatality rate is probably massively over predicted. This is the case in most modern epidemics.

Still. What is your actual response to the OP?

belfast/holywood

Some 34 years after Chernobyl; how many people do you think were killed as a result of the accident . To this day, in 2020, official Russian government figures state that only 31 people died .

Geddit ?

West London

"Some 34 years after Chernobyl; how many people do you think were killed as a result of the accident . To this day, in 2020, official Russian government figures state that only 31 people died .

Geddit ?"

Chernobyl was a significant factor in bringing down the Soviet Union.

I "geddit" and so does China. It has learned from Russia.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

It's a new government plan by remoaners to fuck our ever growing confidence in britex....by fucking the economy

"It's a new government plan by remoaners to fuck our ever growing confidence in britex....by fucking the economy"

We've reached the point of madness in this country that I really don't know if that's an ironic comment or if you believe that.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

I believe nothing I'm not in control off

"I believe nothing I'm not in control off"

Gravity must be a problem then.

"I believe nothing I'm not in control off"

Like the f key...

This is the fatality rate of those who become so I'll that they have to be hospitalised. This is an odd definition of fatality rate.

The vast majority (88%) have no symptoms whatsoever or the equivalent of a cold or flu."

Mortality rate can only be determined at the end of an epidemic. During an epidemic there are people infected whose outcome is unknown, so to factor them in as either recovered or dead is guesswork.

I am quoting CFR which is the ratio of people who have recovered to people who have died.

Yes there may be people who become infected with COVID-19 and never get diagnosed the same way that some people will die from COVID-19 and it not be known as the cause of death.

You can only work with the stats you are given.

According to people describing this virus, in 1 in 5 cases it spreads to your lungs. Anyone who has had pneumonia will tell you it isn't fun at all. Pneumonia used to kill a lot of people before antibiotics came along. Viruses can't be treated with antibiotics so it's down to your body's ability to fight the virus off just like the old days.

The vast majority (88%) have no symptoms whatsoever or the equivalent of a cold or flu."

Worldometer collects its statistics and data from the most reputable national and international organizations, including the United Nations, the World Health Organization, the Food and Agriculture Organization, OECD and others.

When you start talking about mortality rate Spanish flu had a mortality rate of 2.5% and killed around 50 million people but had a CFR between 10% and 20%.

salisbury

"When you start talking about mortality rate Spanish flu had a mortality rate of 2.5% and killed around 50 million people but had a CFR between 10% and 20%."

You seem worried about this. Why?

"When you start talking about mortality rate Spanish flu had a mortality rate of 2.5% and killed around 50 million people but had a CFR between 10% and 20%.

You seem worried about this. Why?"

Let me guess. You're going to suggest it's Muslims right?

Yawn.

"When you start talking about mortality rate Spanish flu had a mortality rate of 2.5% and killed around 50 million people but had a CFR between 10% and 20%.

It's a forum. We discus things. It doesn't mean we're particularly worried. Personally I place the center of my effort over the center of my control.

What is interesting to me is the amount of time we are prepared to spend discussing meanless issues to death "Does this make me bi?" but at the same time the most important issues of our generation are almost taboo.

I think that unless a vaccine is developed, this virus has the potential to have a significant impact on our day to day lives. Worth discussing.

salisbury

It's a forum. We discus things. It doesn't mean we're particularly worried. Personally I place the center of my effort over the center of my control.

What is interesting to me is the amount of time we are prepared to spend discussing meanless issues to death "Does this make me bi?" but at the same time the most important issues of our generation are almost taboo."

Have you thought about finding a forum which isn't based around swinging? You seem frustrated.

What is interesting to me is the amount of time we are prepared to spend discussing meanless issues to death "Does this make me bi?" but at the same time the most important issues of our generation are almost taboo.

Have you thought about finding a forum which isn't based around swinging? You seem frustrated. "

Is this your polite way of telling me to F Off? Clem, unlike what SEEMS like a majority of people on this forum I actually swing. So maybe it's not me who is on the wrong site

Don't give up your day job.

salisbury

Have you thought about finding a forum which isn't based around swinging? You seem frustrated.

Is this your polite way of telling me to F Off? Clem, unlike what SEEMS like a majority of people on this forum I actually swing. So maybe it's not me who is on the wrong site

Don't give up your day job."

No not at all, i enjoy your posts. But i do believe you sound emotionally vulnerable. Is there anyone you can talk to?

No not at all, i enjoy your posts. But i do believe you sound emotionally vulnerable. Is there anyone you can talk to?"

Sound? Seem?

I appreciate your concern but the last person to comment on my state of mind asked "are you always this happy?"

I have an amazing girlfriend, a hectic social and sex life, pay more in tax than most people earn, have two wonderful children I am very proud of and more friends than I deserve. My life is so amazing that I'm truly thankful for it. So thankful infact that I take time to pause and feel empathy for the more than 2000 people who have lost their lives.

Perhaps it's the people who say "2000 people died. So what?" who need someone to talk to. It must be sad to lose one's humanity.

No not at all, i enjoy your posts. But i do believe you sound emotionally vulnerable. Is there anyone you can talk to?

Sound? Seem?

I appreciate your concern but the last person to comment on my state of mind asked "are you always this happy?"

I have an amazing girlfriend, a hectic social and sex life, pay more in tax than most people earn, have two wonderful children I am very proud of and more friends than I deserve. My life is so amazing that I'm truly thankful for it. So thankful infact that I take time to pause and feel empathy for the more than 2000 people who have lost their lives.

Perhaps it's the people who say "2000 people died. So what?" who need someone to talk to. It must be sad to lose one's humanity. "

Well said

salisbury

Sound? Seem?

Perhaps it's the people who say "2000 people died. So what?" who need someone to talk to. It must be sad to lose one's humanity. "

So why are you soo paranoid?

Sound? Seem?

Perhaps it's the people who say "2000 people died. So what?" who need someone to talk to. It must be sad to lose one's humanity.

So why are you soo paranoid?"

Why do you think people who question things are paranoid?

I believe in science and when I am told things that don't agree with science I question them. Does that make me odd? Certainly do I wish I was one of the herd? Certainly not.

Now ask yourself why it bothers you so much that someone has beliefs that differ from yours?

Sound? Seem?

Well said "

Thank you

salisbury

Sound? Seem?

I believe in science and when I am told things that don't agree with science I question them. Does that make me odd? Certainly do I wish I was one of the herd? Certainly not.

Now ask yourself why it bothers you so much that someone has beliefs that differ from yours?"

Lol im not so sure our beliefs are that different! You just sound a bit "tinfoil" hat about it. I hope you're as fine as you think you are.

Sound? Seem?

Now ask yourself why it bothers you so much that someone has beliefs that differ from yours?

Lol im not so sure our beliefs are that different! You just sound a bit "tinfoil" hat about it. I hope you're as fine as you think you are. "

You're right in a way. I'm nuttier than a box of frogs. But the happy kind of nuts. Tell you what read my verifications and then....

By *ouble CCouple  over a year ago

Gran Canaria

Read these.... verifications from people who ACTUALLY met me!

salisbury

You seem to feel a need to tell people how great you are. You often mention how successful and wealthy you are. Do you think it adds validity to your arguments?

belfast/holywood

No not at all, i enjoy your posts. But i do believe you sound emotionally vulnerable. Is there anyone you can talk to?"

Lol

belfast/holywood

I think someone’s been drinking too much lol

"You seem to feel a need to tell people how great you are. You often mention how successful and wealthy you are. Do you think it adds validity to your arguments?"

Seem is your word for the day is it?

The verifications from people who have actually met me, portray me in a completely different light to the way you see me. So who do you think is wrong?

It has been necessary to point out to some people on this forum that I feel sorry for the poor but do not suffer their plight. I would make for a pretty sorry "Marxist"...

"I think someone’s been drinking too much lol"

You shouldn't think. Stick to what works for you.

belfast/holywood

Stick to conspiracy theories ... it sells newspapers lol....anyone seen any buildings with large holes in lately ? Lol

"Stick to conspiracy theories ... it sells newspapers lol....anyone seen any buildings with large holes in lately ? Lol"

Nothing you would understand.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The government is focused on protecting their economy, which overlaps with pretences of protecting the people.

It's still an unknown quantity to some extent as it's new but doesn't appear to mutate much.

That government is not always rational and behaves differently to a western culture.

Even with a minority that die, that's a big loss of life, with many more unproductive and needing care.

It's likely too that we don't know the full details.

When the next major flu epidemic comes, the world will be much, much worse.

"The government is focused on protecting their economy, which overlaps with pretences of protecting the people.

It's still an unknown quantity to some extent as it's new but doesn't appear to mutate much.

That government is not always rational and behaves differently to a western culture.

Even with a minority that die, that's a big loss of life, with many more unproductive and needing care.

When the next major flu epidemic comes, the world will be much, much worse. "

When I read about the details of this virus my mind goes back to a young child who was treated on the hospital floor on a "busy weekend". Doing the math... if just 10% of our UK population gets infected (6 million) and just 20% of those infected become serious or critical (1.2 million), I wonder how well equipped they will be to handle that increase in patients? I'm hoping and praying that a vaccine comes out soon because I really don't want to find out the answer.

https://towardsdatascience.com/why-the-coronavirus-mortality-rate-is-misleading-cc63f571b6a6

So here's a scientist who is saying exactly what I have been saying.... just better explained.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"The government is focused on protecting their economy, which overlaps with pretences of protecting the people.

When I read about the details of this virus my mind goes back to a young child who was treated on the hospital floor on a "busy weekend". Doing the math... if just 10% of our UK population gets infected (6 million) and just 20% of those infected become serious or critical (1.2 million), I wonder how well equipped they will be to handle that increase in patients? I'm hoping and praying that a vaccine comes out soon because I really don't want to find out the answer. "

Keep telling yourself that if it suits you but the truth is the young child was NOT treated on a hospital floor he was placed there by his mother while waiting for a bed.

When I read about the details of this virus my mind goes back to a young child who was treated on the hospital floor on a "busy weekend". Doing the math... if just 10% of our UK population gets infected (6 million) and just 20% of those infected become serious or critical (1.2 million), I wonder how well equipped they will be to handle that increase in patients? I'm hoping and praying that a vaccine comes out soon because I really don't want to find out the answer. Keep telling yourself that if it suits you but the truth is the young child was NOT treated on a hospital floor he was placed there by his mother while waiting for a bed. "

Is that what is says in the Sun and the Daily mail. I wouldn't know.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/09/tories-accused-lying-distract-photo-boy-hospital-floor

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

im sure tje nhs would cope if it got as bad as you say then all non emergancy stufg would be cancelled until the epidemic was over i meen they wouldnt want people in hospitals who aint infected would they

"im sure tje nhs would cope if it got as bad as you say then all non emergancy stufg would be cancelled until the epidemic was over i meen they wouldnt want people in hospitals who aint infected would they"

You're sure? Based on what evidence?

Continual reports of how well the NHS is doing? Or just bright cheery confidence in defiance of all the evidence to the contrary?

https://www.vox.com/2020/2/12/21134718/coronavirus-china-deaths-mortality-rate

"Unfortunately, most of what has been reported about the mortality rate of the novel coronavirus is wrong.

Many media reports simply compare the total reported number of deaths with the overall reported number of cases. This is, intuitively, the fraction of people who die from the disease. But early in an outbreak, this type of simple calculation is often misleading"

Nice to see someone put into an article what I've been saying for a month. Except when I said it I was an alarmist, paranoid, tin hat wearing freak trying to cause panic and hatred against Asians...

But hey it's just a sniffle, despite the fact that 36 people are listed critical/serious, 3 have died and only 17 have so far recovered. Yup sounds "mild" to me...

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

they are going to now start in effect quarenting countries.... first china...

south korea and italy will be next...

austria have just banned all train traffic to/from italy after a train from italy have 2 suspected cases on it! if people are now traveling on trains with it.. this thing is going to spread really quickly...

i am guessing that france (SNCF) and Switzerland (SBB) are going to do the same thing...

"they are going to now start in effect quarenting countries.... first china...

south korea and italy will be next...

austria have just banned all train traffic to/from italy after a train from italy have 2 suspected cases on it! if people are now traveling on trains with it.. this thing is going to spread really quickly...

i am guessing that france (SNCF) and Switzerland (SBB) are going to do the same thing...

"

They say this has an R0 of 2 to 3. So I fear you are correct

This is just the beginning.

wonder if you feel the same now, go read all your comments again

West London

wonder if you feel the same now, go read all your comments again"

Ah. You do not understand irony.

Figures

"It's all bollox"

By *ragoniteMan  over a year ago

Cheshire

This thread has not aged well at all.....

O dear

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

well i came out this thread not looking like a tit....

i think thats a victory......

"well i came out this thread not looking like a tit....

i think thats a victory...... "

Fair play to you, a few others haven’t fared so well

Gran Canaria

Boris? Is that you?

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Boris? Is that you?"

grow up get real

"It's all bollox"

O dear

Gran Canaria

Boris? Is that you?grow up get real"

Where we are today is because of the shitty attitude we all had a year ago.

And we've still got the same shitty attitude now.

Gran Canaria

"It's all bollox

O dear "

This whole thread is one great big O dear.

» Add a new message to this topic